PDA

View Full Version : Waivers: Rangers Place Ryan Malone on Waivers 11/2; Clears 11/3

RichieNextel305
11-02-2014, 12:41 PM
:tweet: @TSNBobMcKenzie: Ryan Malone (NYR) and Brad Hunt (EDM) on waivers.

If he clears, he'll be in Hartford. If not, well, it was nice knowing ya. Thought he'd be a big help. I hope he clears, because I still believe he can be a big help.

--

Update 11/3 12:08PM:

:tweet: @Russostrib: Ryan Malone cleared waivers for #nyrangers

:tweet: @NYP_Brooksie: Ryan Malone has cleared, will be in Rangers' lineup tonight if Zuccarello can't go...

Cash or Czech?
11-02-2014, 12:45 PM
Making cap space for a trade for sure. He definitely deserves to be at least the 13th guy if not for the money issues. Woulda waved Glass first.

RichieNextel305
11-02-2014, 12:47 PM
I'm not for or against Glass anymore than anyone else at this point. He is what he is, and he does serve a purpose. That being said, while I do like Glass, I just think someone like Malone does bring a bit more to the table there and has a bit more upside. And it is a little sad to see that he falls on the short end of the stick.

But it is what it is. Neither are making or breaking anything, though I do Malone could have been of service here. It was a numbers game, and the Rangers are very, very strong on the wing. It was only a matter of time before someone was gonna bite the bullet there. And Malone was always the most likely victim.

cousin
11-02-2014, 12:52 PM
A trade is a good thing. Hope it all goes as planned.

momentum
11-02-2014, 12:52 PM
someone will pick him up

momentum
11-02-2014, 12:53 PM
A trade is a good thing. Hope it all goes as planned.

Hope they package Mcilrath for something before his value is all gone.

Morphinity
11-02-2014, 01:02 PM
He seemed to be a good locker-room guy and a good 13th forward, but desperate times...

DiJock94
11-02-2014, 01:06 PM
Making cap space for a trade for sure. He definitely deserves to be at least the 13th guy if not for the money issues. Woulda waved Glass first.

Or they're making room for a call up?

Cash or Czech?
11-02-2014, 01:09 PM
Or they're making room for a call up?

Also a definite possibility. I just don't think running a D with two 7th defensemen and two rookies is what they're trying to do.

DiJock94
11-02-2014, 01:18 PM
Also a definite possibility. I just don't think running a D with two 7th defensemen and two rookies is what they're trying to do.

Understandable I agree. I feel like they should give Allen and Mcilrath their shot at it first. If they can't hang at the NHL level atleast you gave them a chance to prove themselves. Then make a trade.

Phil in Absentia
11-02-2014, 01:20 PM
Gives them leverage if they're trading for Sekera. If he's claimed, it's a little less than a million back in their pocket. If he isn't, he can be assigned to Hartford once a deal is completed in the event they need the cap room.

Cash or Czech?
11-02-2014, 01:21 PM
Understandable I agree. I feel like they should give Allen and Mcilrath their shot at it first. If they can't hang at the NHL level atleast you gave them a chance to prove themselves. Then make a trade.

We have the Blues, Red Wings, Maple Leafs, Oilers and Penguins as our next five games. Four of those teams have pretty good offenses (Penguins, Leafs and Detroit are in the top-12), and five losses would really put us behind the ball the rest of the season. If it were an easier stretch including Carolina and Florida, I'd consider. But I think we'll make a trade and one call-up.

DiJock94
11-02-2014, 01:25 PM
Yea good point but if you separate Staal and G atleast you won't have the worst top 4 and Hunwick has been impressing me lately

Hunwick Girardi
Staal Kostka
Allen McIlrath

Pretty sure Allen and the undertaker have been the top pair in Hartford for a while ? I may be wrong but if I'm right the familiarity sure would help

DiJock94
11-02-2014, 01:26 PM
We can get by on that while Klein and Moore are out

Stepan it
11-02-2014, 01:26 PM
Depressing

Captain Clutch
11-02-2014, 01:28 PM
Rather have him over Glass but he's one of Vigneault's boys

Phil in Absentia
11-02-2014, 01:30 PM
If I were Malone, I'd be hoping an NHL team picks me up based on the nature of the two-way deal he signed. He takes a significant pay cut if he's playing in the AHL versus the NHL.

$700K NHL, $100K AHL.

!br-avery!
11-02-2014, 02:51 PM
I think he gets claimed
Like Malone and think he could help us over the long run

The Dude
11-02-2014, 04:27 PM
Sucks. Dude didn't get a chance. Hope he clears. Just scared someone takes him upon re-entry. Rangers have to eat half the salary correct? So, someone could be getting a potential 3rd liner at 350k..

I hope a division rival doesn't claim him. Isles and Devils are pretty banged up and he may fit right in.

RichieNextel305
11-02-2014, 04:32 PM
I really hope he doesn't get claimed. I still think he could be a big help.

phillyb™
11-02-2014, 04:35 PM
is malone's cap hit higher than glass's?

The Dude
11-02-2014, 04:48 PM
Wondering if they are ready to send Duclair to jrs for MORE cap space.

momentum
11-02-2014, 04:50 PM

Would be stupid IMO, Duclair is productive and gives the lineup speed and energy, would be making a hole in the ship to repair another.

Cash or Czech?
11-02-2014, 04:50 PM
Sucks. Dude didn't get a chance. Hope he clears. Just scared someone takes him upon re-entry. Rangers have to eat half the salary correct? So, someone could be getting a potential 3rd liner at 350k..

I hope a division rival doesn't claim him. Isles and Devils are pretty banged up and he may fit right in.

Reentry waivers was eliminated in the restructuring of the CBA. If he gets sent down, he doesn't have to go through waivers to get called back up. But I think there are several teams that could be interested in claiming him based on his low salary, especially teams ravished by injuries such as Columbus and Carolina.

Cash or Czech?
11-02-2014, 04:53 PM

Sending Duclair back only clears a little over $700k in cap space. Not worth it, IMO, unless his play warrants it. Money isn't the issue with him.

Phil in Absentia
11-02-2014, 05:00 PM

Re-entry waivers were eliminated under the new CBA, and were only ever a threat when a player was waived, cleared, assigned to the AHL and then re-called.

None of this is an issue today.

AmericanJesus
11-02-2014, 06:05 PM
Sending Duclair back only clears a little over $700k in cap space. Not worth it, IMO, unless his play warrants it. Money isn't the issue with him.

Unless they replace him with someone making less it won't be a savings anyway. Waiving Malone basically says they are keeping Duclair at least for now.

Faiz
11-02-2014, 06:08 PM
Damn, I really liked the way Malone was playing.

Cash or Czech?
11-02-2014, 06:10 PM
Unless they replace him with someone making less it won't be a savings anyway. Waiving Malone basically says they are keeping Duclair at least for now.

Like I said, they'd only send Duclair back if his play drops and he doesn't play at a top level anymore. His bonus is minimal as is his salary. They could shed $200k at most if they demote him, and I don't see that as a viable possibility.

Phil in Absentia
11-02-2014, 06:11 PM
I just like the idea of a player like Malone, period. Size, strength, total willingness to fight anyone to defend teammates and can play a scorers role. Everything you want out of a hockey player, even with his poor skating.

But I get it. It's a numbers game.

The Dude
11-02-2014, 08:23 PM
Reentry waivers was eliminated in the restructuring of the CBA. If he gets sent down, he doesn't have to go through waivers to get called back up. But I think there are several teams that could be interested in claiming him based on his low salary, especially teams ravished by injuries such as Columbus and Carolina.

Baaah, I should have known that. So, hopefully he clears. I doubt it though. Like you said, theres plenty of teams that could use him.

Would be stupid IMO, Duclair is productive and gives the lineup speed and energy, would be making a hole in the ship to repair another.

Just trying to figure out how they are going to clear cap space for anyone worth getting to play important part time minutes.

I just like the idea of a player like Malone, period. Size, strength, total willingness to fight anyone to defend teammates and can play a scorers role. Everything you want out of a hockey player, even with his poor skating.

But I get it. It's a numbers game.

Agreed. Guy could play on basically any line on this team and not be out of place. His size and knack for finding his way to the front of the net is something this team lacks. Really didnt get why AV never put him in Pouliots old spot. Best fit from this roster imo.

Really hope he clears and he rejoins the team soon.

Ba Ba Bluey
11-02-2014, 08:46 PM
Malone can barely skate...he looks incredibly slow out there.

Phil in Absentia
11-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Malone can barely skate...he looks incredibly slow out there.

While this is true, it's something he's found success in spite of his entire career. Just like Hartnell.

Ba Ba Bluey
11-02-2014, 08:49 PM
Not debating that...he offers something that we don't really have, someone that goes to the dirty areas. He'd be great for the playoffs but he can't keep up right now.

Respecttheblue
11-02-2014, 09:06 PM
Gives them leverage if they're trading for Sekera. If he's claimed, it's a little less than a million back in their pocket. If he isn't, he can be assigned to Hartford once a deal is completed in the event they need the cap room.

Ah, that makes sense. Sad though, I kinda liked Malone on this team and thought he would contribute. I guess, if he doesn't et picked up he still might, once NYR maneuvers their way through this defense injury crisis.

Bretzky
11-02-2014, 11:09 PM
I really hope he doesn't get claimed.

He's a good versatile, experienced body to have.

Look at what's happening on our blue line right now.

If that were happening up front, Malone would be a great option to go to.

With that said, we'll see what happens.

Pete
11-02-2014, 11:19 PM
The Rangers were the only team to offer him a contact IIRC, and his play isn't leaving anyone salivating. I'd be surprised if he got claimed.

RichieNextel305
11-03-2014, 07:02 AM
The Rangers were the only team to offer him a contact IIRC, and his play isn't leaving anyone salivating. I'd be surprised if he got claimed.

Pittsburgh reportedly had interest in him too.

Respecttheblue
11-03-2014, 07:24 AM
A few Words from Malone and Brooks of the New York Post.. ... obviously more words at the link below

http://nypost.com/2014/11/02/malone-philosophical-after-rangers-place-him-on-waivers/

“Everything happens for a reason,” Malone said, before breaking into a smile and a chuckle. “I’m not sure what that reason is, yet, but it always seems to work out in the end.
“It is what it is. I’ll try and make the best of it.”
“Obviously there’s been a lot of crazy things happen here the last couple of days, so they’ve got to make room for some moves, and I’m obviously odd-man out, so it was kind of expected,” said Malone, informed of the move by Vigneault before he went on for the optional practice. “All I can do is keep working hard and see what happens.”

“I haven’t spoken to my agent yet,” said Malone, who is represented by Octagon’s Mike Liut. “We’ll get through the day and see what happens.”
Malone acknowledged some difficulty adjusting to the role of a fourth-liner who could sit for chunks of minutes at a time. It’s not unique to him, of course. Older and bigger-bodied players generally need to be in a regular rotation in order to succeed. Malone got an average of 10:30 per game.
“Obviously it’s a new position for myself where it’s difficult but you’re willing to do it late in your career where you want to be part of a winning team and help out where you can,” said Malone, who has scored 179 goals in 646 career games. “I feel like I can still score goals, skate, fight if necessary…
“I’m willing to do whatever it takes to help a team.”

Note .. what it takes to help a team

I'm a bit bummed I hope he gets another chance, I feel a player like him could help in the cauldron of the playoffs (assuming we even ... get ... there ... this season)

Pete
11-03-2014, 08:23 AM
Don't think they offered a tryout, though.

Slobberknocker
11-03-2014, 10:52 AM
liked his attitude in the ariticle. class act.

NYRanger11
11-03-2014, 11:45 AM
@NYP_Brooksie: If Zuccarello is out and Malone is claimed (a couple of teams are known to be considering it), #NYR would recall forward from Wolf Pack.

How could Malone play?

jjweimar
11-03-2014, 11:48 AM
I believe Malone would be able to be called up again

Phil in Absentia
11-03-2014, 12:04 PM
:tweet: @Russostrib: Ryan Malone cleared waivers for #nyrangers

NYRanger11
11-03-2014, 12:12 PM
Just confused to why we placed him waivers if we immediately call him back up.

Phil in Absentia
11-03-2014, 12:15 PM
Just confused to why we placed him waivers if we immediately call him back up.

Waives and call-ups aren't the same thing. Waivers is the process by which some players can be re-assigned. Namely veteran forwards like Malone who have a specific number of games played in the NHL.

They never re-assigned him to Hartford, so he hasn't actually been called back up, since he was never moved in the first place.

This gives them leeway, however, as he now remains eligible to be re-assigned for, I believe, 30 days. If for some reason the Rangers need the roughly $700K he holds against their cap, they can move him to HFD immediately to become compliant with the CBA and the NHL's salary cap.

This same thing happened with Aaron Voros and I believe Arron Asham as well in years past. Voros, in fact, was waived twice in a row in this fashion, just to give them the option of being able to re-assign him at the drop of a dime.

Valriera
11-03-2014, 12:27 PM
I'm actually quite surprised he went unclaimed. I understand he is slow but this guy can play hockey in places where others cannot. I would think he'd be picked up by anyone in the west just to line up against the beef that conference packs considering the small cap hit.

momentum
11-03-2014, 01:09 PM
o yay no one claimed him, i can see Malone being valuable for us at some time later in the season.

Phil in Absentia
11-03-2014, 01:11 PM
o yay no one claimed him, i can see Malone being valuable for us at some time later in the season.

Well, he can still be re-assigned to Hartford at some point, but I too am glad he went unclaimed.

I wrote earlier that it's more so the idea of Malone, and the player type that I find so attractive (not necessarily Malone himself, though I do like what I see). That sort of size, strength and combination of ability to play any role without reducing his scoring impact/potential is actually invaluable, I'd argue.

Pete
11-03-2014, 01:26 PM
So no one took Malone on a league minimum salary, but he's going to be very valuable for us?

Phil in Absentia
11-03-2014, 01:54 PM
I mean, he may? Depends on the series, I'd say. If we end up drawing the Jackets in the playoffs, for example, I think he could be of service for sure.

!br-avery!
11-03-2014, 01:59 PM
Come playoff time ,Malone is the exact type of player I want playing and if he's the odd man out , I know he can go in and be useful given his experience
Just a decent player to have around IMO

Pete
11-03-2014, 02:01 PM
I don't mind him, but just like AV, I don't see how he fits on this team. Unless he platoons with Glass. I just don't see that happening.

RichieNextel305
11-03-2014, 02:28 PM
The picture isn't clear, but I still think he could be a help for us.

Bretzky
11-03-2014, 02:44 PM
If Zucc can't go tonight, I would think Malone will be in.

Just a paper transaction really. He wasn't assigned anywhere.

AmericanJesus
11-03-2014, 03:16 PM
If he plays tonight, he has to be waived again tomorrow, right?

Phil in Absentia
11-03-2014, 03:21 PM
If he plays tonight, he has to be waived again tomorrow, right?

Nope. Nine games played or thirty days (whichever occurs first) from the point of clearing waivers, according to the NYPost (http://nypost.com/2014/11/03/the-rangers-had-a-most-unusual-morning/).

Respecttheblue
11-03-2014, 10:06 PM
Nope. Nine games played or thirty days (whichever occurs first) from the point of clearing waivers, according to the NYPost (http://nypost.com/2014/11/03/the-rangers-had-a-most-unusual-morning/).

So kicking the can down the road like Congress and the budget deficit?

I'm a Malone believer. I hope his feet can catch up with his hands.

phillyb™
11-03-2014, 10:07 PM
back on waivers?

Phil in Absentia
11-03-2014, 10:19 PM
back on waivers?

No. He doesn't need to be placed on waivers again unless he plays nine games or thirty days pass, whichever comes first.

phillyb™
11-03-2014, 10:35 PM
lol. i was joking. saw this thread bumped right at the end of the game.