PDA

View Full Version : Rumor/Report: Rangers Have Interest in Acquiring CAR [D] Andrej Sekera

Phil in Absentia
11-01-2014, 09:03 PM
:tweet: @FriedgeHNIC: Couple notes from our news segment: NYR -- with McDonagh/Klein hurt tonight -- believed to have interest in Sekera (CAR)...

:tweet: @FriedgeHNIC: Although I'm not sure CAR is willing to do anything yet...

--

For those completely unaware of who he is:

Assets: Has excellent mobility from the back end. Likes to lug the puck up ice when confident. Is an excellent passer and usually displays plenty of cool under pressure. Can log big minutes. Displays a lot of offensive ability.

Flaws: Is not at all physical and can get manhandled by bigger forwards at the National Hockey League level. Could use a bit more bulk. Must become more of an offensive take-charge guy, but not too fancy.

Career Potential: Quality puck-moving defenseman.

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.php?4791

Had 44 points in 74 games with the Canes last year. Breakout year.

--

He is a pending UFA making $2.75M this season (would be pro-rated depending on when he was dealt, if he's dealt).

Drew a Penalty
11-01-2014, 09:05 PM
I wanted him while he was still with Buffalo. Would be a really good addition.

phillyb™
11-01-2014, 09:41 PM
holy shit. carolina won tonight.
no way they'll part with him now. lol

Drew a Penalty
11-01-2014, 09:45 PM
Had 35 points in 81 games with the Canes last year. Breakout year.

Had 44 in 74 last year. That's his current pace.

AmericanJesus
11-01-2014, 10:15 PM
Assume they will want prospects for him. Probably cost us someone like Allen plus. Our maybe Miller.

Phil in Absentia
11-01-2014, 10:19 PM
Assume they will want prospects for him. Probably cost us someone like Allen plus. Our maybe Miller.

I don't think I'd deal Miller in a situation like this. I'd cut bait with an on-the-cusp D though, like Allen or McIlrath. Especially if the Rangers don't feel either are going to make a hard play at this roster any time soon.

Would be kinda funny to see McIlrath go. Would make the second straight first-round defenseman taken who didn't impress and was eventually dealt to the Canes.

AmericanJesus
11-01-2014, 10:31 PM
I don't think I'd deal Miller in a situation like this. I'd cut bait with an on-the-cusp D though, like Allen or McIlrath. Especially if the Rangers don't feel either are going to make a hard play at this roster any time soon.

Would be kinda funny to see McIlrath go. Would make the second straight first-round defenseman taken who didn't impress and was eventually dealt to the Canes.

If Klein ends up with a broken foot we might have to do something. Can't see this:

Hunwick - Girardi
Staal - Kostka
Allen - McIlrath

Phil in Absentia
11-01-2014, 10:34 PM
If Klein ends up with a broken foot we might have to do something. Can't see this:

Hunwick - Girardi
Staal - Kostka
Allen - McIlrath

Oh, if they're both out, I have no doubt they'll make a deal. If it's Sekera or otherwise.

AmericanJesus
11-01-2014, 10:52 PM
The big issue the Rangers are going to have is if Stepan comes off LTIR, they are already going to have cap issues. No idea if they can even fill their D holes with minimum contacts especially if it's both Klein and McD out.

It's going to get interesting really quick if that's the case. No spare forwards I'd imagine. I'll take a look at the cap situation soon.

AmericanJesus
11-01-2014, 11:02 PM
Yeah they have cap problems.

http://capgeek.com/armchair-gm/roster/42942

$612k available with Hayes sent down and only Malone as a spare. If they waive him he very well may be claimed. Allen and McIlrath would cost $1.625m. Neither will fit in for that $612k we have left. So Malone has to be waived and sent down too. Even then, that's only like $1.4m total.

fletch
11-01-2014, 11:27 PM
Sounds like we couldn't just trade prospects to make the cap work unless things get creative... but we are awfully thin on D right now.

Phil in Absentia
11-01-2014, 11:29 PM
Yeah they have cap problems.

http://capgeek.com/armchair-gm/roster/42942

$612k available with Hayes sent down and only Malone as a spare. If they waive him he very well may be claimed. Allen and McIlrath would cost $1.625m. Neither will fit in for that $612k we have left. So Malone has to be waived and sent down too. Even then, that's only like $1.4m total.

I'd imagine they'd put McDonagh on LTIR if necessary, assuming he's out more than a few weeks.

AmericanJesus
11-02-2014, 07:36 AM
I'd imagine they'd put McDonagh on LTIR if necessary, assuming he's out more than a few weeks.

Has to miss ten games then. He missed five last time he separated his shoulder.

FleshistheFever
11-02-2014, 08:32 AM
Ugh. Horrible. F it. Lets shoot for the stars. Lets sit back and make it... McDavid time!

Drew a Penalty
11-02-2014, 08:33 AM
Ugh. Horrible. F it. Lets shoot for the stars. Lets sit back and make it... McDavid time!

Um, no first.

FleshistheFever
11-02-2014, 08:35 AM
Um, no first.

...But we have Glen Sather.

AmericanJesus
11-02-2014, 09:10 AM
Update on their cap situation. Boyle has missed 9 games so far. Since he won't be playing Monday, they can put him on LTIR retroactively and that will open up the necessary cap space. Things will only get interesting again when he comes of LTIR. Of course, he'll fill a roster spot then and there's also the chance that if he misses another 4 games, Moore will be available to play again as well. Cap is going to be tight all season.

Phil in Absentia
11-02-2014, 09:22 AM
Has to miss ten games then. He missed five last time he separated his shoulder.

Because he came back early for the playoffs, and was garbage the entire first round.

If this is anything like what he suffered last time, the ten games might be doable, considering how early this is in the season. He has no reason to rush back.

AmericanJesus
11-02-2014, 09:36 AM
Because he came back early for the playoffs, and was garbage the entire first round.

If this is anything like what he suffered last time, the ten games might be doable, considering how early this is in the season. He has no reason to rush back.

Looks like at least for now they can retro LTIR Boyle.

With McD last year I remember it the oposite way. I thought he could have played the last regular season game but they decided to give him the extra rest. The question became should he have played that game as a tune up. Again that's from memory.

I don't think you LTIR a guy like McDonagh until a doctor says he is going to miss the required games. In fact I think you need that to qualify for ltir.

Cash or Czech?
11-02-2014, 10:39 AM
I'm not really interested in a guy like Sekera. He doesn't really fit what we need. What we need is a reliable, physical defender who can handle 16 minutes a night. Hunwick, despite small sample size, is starting to show that he could be our next cost-efficient reliable Stralman. Do you look at Tim Gleason, pending UFA and @ a pro-rated $1.2M for the rest of the season? I think that could me a more realistic move.

Respecttheblue
11-02-2014, 11:21 AM

I still wouldn't deal Miller for a band aid who's gonna be tossed on the heap when the crisis is over.
If we're going to go the trade route it needs to be someone who can contribute at least as a solid 5 or 6 defenseman on a cup-contender level, not a temporary fix.

Bretzky
11-02-2014, 04:22 PM
I'm not really interested in a guy like Sekera. He doesn't really fit what we need. What we need is a reliable, physical defender who can handle 16 minutes a night. Hunwick, despite small sample size, is starting to show that he could be our next cost-efficient reliable Stralman. Do you look at Tim Gleason, pending UFA and @ a pro-rated $1.2M for the rest of the season? I think that could me a more realistic move.

Totally disagree.

a) Gleason is an ugly scumbag who is absolutely DONE being a reliable top-4 defender. He's like what Girardi will be when he's 35.

b) Sekera is exactly what we need. A physical guy would be great, but mobility, skating, and puck-moving ability is the most imortant thing a) in the league today b) especially in AV's system. Gleason is a Torts guy at best right now. I really don't like his game at all anymore. I would stay far far away. 4 years ago, sure. Today? No way.

The Dude
11-02-2014, 04:37 PM
Who the hell are they sending in any trade? I see a journeyman signing coming up. Ryan Whitney, welcome to the Rangers.

phillyb™
11-02-2014, 04:37 PM
hearing a player is exactly what we need coming from a guy who has a thread for crazy trades is exactly what this forum needs.

i say that lightly, wholeheartedly, and candidly.

i enjoy all threads.

Bretzky
11-02-2014, 08:55 PM
hearing a player is exactly what we need coming from a guy who has a thread for crazy trades is exactly what this forum needs.

i say that lightly, wholeheartedly, and candidly.

i enjoy all threads.

Hahaha well played philly. :P

I stand by it though. We absolutely need more mobile puck-movers like Sekera much more than we need a physical d-man, and especially one like Tim Gleason.

Cash or Czech?
11-03-2014, 01:07 PM
In the cap situation we are in, a pending UFA 31-year old Tim Gleason at $1.2M pro-rated over the rest of the season is more realistic. It's not the best trade and he's not the best puck mover, but I think the Rangers are happy with Hunwick's ability to play similar to Sekera for 1/4th of the price. They need a guy to fill in for 10-15 games until Boyle, Moore, Klein and McDonagh are back. Whoever we acquire isn't playing once we're healthy.

Future
11-03-2014, 01:37 PM
Sekera makes a lot of sense if he can play with Staal. That would push Boyle down to the third pair, which I think is where he belongs anyways.

Mac - G
Staal - Sekera
Klein - Boyle

Moore/Hunwick

Probably means Kostka is gone - as part of the trade in a perfect world, but I'd take that moving forward. I have my doubts though since Sekera is left handed and already plays the left side.

thes5
11-05-2014, 11:42 AM
In the cap situation we are in, a pending UFA 31-year old Tim Gleason at $1.2M pro-rated over the rest of the season is more realistic. It's not the best trade and he's not the best puck mover, but I think the Rangers are happy with Hunwick's ability to play similar to Sekera for 1/4th of the price. They need a guy to fill in for 10-15 games until Boyle, Moore, Klein and McDonagh are back. Whoever we acquire isn't playing once we're healthy.

Gleason is done. Absolutely no reason to bring him in. Would much rather stick with one of the kids and let them drink from the fire hose.

momentum
11-05-2014, 01:02 PM
Sekera would be a great pickup, but at what cost? I'd be leery about giving up on Miller already...

Phil in Absentia
11-06-2014, 02:38 PM
The Rangers are one of several clubs waiting to see what the Hurricanes decide with Andrej Sekera. There’s no guarantee that comes quickly, especially now that Carolina is healthier and stabilized. Depending on what happens with Slava Voynov, opponents think Los Angeles could be interested, too.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-its-not-going-to-be-easy-for-ted-nolan/

Phil in Absentia
02-18-2015, 12:31 AM
To that end, sources have told The Post the Blueshirts have joined a crowded field dreaming of acquiring Carolina’s Andrej Sekera as a rental property. The price at this point, sources said, is a first-rounder plus a prospect, which is too rich for just about any suitor’s blood, and certainly Sather’s.

But chances are that the price will drop, and if it does, there is no reason the Rangers shouldn’t be willing to offer one of their two second-rounders (their own or Tampa Bay’s) and a prospect not named Anthony Duclair, Pavel Buchnevich or Brady Skjei.

If the Hurricanes like Moore, who still has fair upside despite this downer of a season, then by all means, there would be no reason not to include the 24-year-old in the package if it would seal the deal for Sekera, who has played the last two seasons paired with Justin Faulk on Carolina’s first pair.

Sekera, though, is the prime left defenseman on the rental market, so the Candy Canes — who scouted the Rangers in Arizona on Saturday just as the Blueshirts scouted Carolina in Ottawa on Monday — hold the cards and can be expected to be patient.

http://nypost.com/2015/02/17/as-deadline-nears-rangers-right-to-be-targeting-this-defenseman/

EdMc28
02-18-2015, 12:40 AM
Moore, McIlrath or Allen, and a second?

Valriera
02-18-2015, 06:17 AM
J. Moore and a second is what would get it done in my mind. We don't need Moore, and he's a lot more than a prospect for Carolina. We may not like him bt the guy can play third pair in the NHL right now, and has more potential than that. I just am done trying to watch him grow into it.

momentum
02-18-2015, 08:29 AM
J. Moore and a second is what would get it done in my mind. We don't need Moore, and he's a lot more than a prospect for Carolina. We may not like him bt the guy can play third pair in the NHL right now, and has more potential than that. I just am done trying to watch him grow into it.

For Moore and a second I'd do it in a heart beat, I think it will cost more.

AmericanJesus
02-18-2015, 08:57 AM
I think Moore, McIlrath and a 2nd is more likely to get it done. Moore could be stifled here fighting for a 6th spot, keeping him tight. In Carolina, they can afford to play him in a consistent 3-4 role, and let him work through any issues if he is able. He could also get consistent power play time there. Not saying he'll pan out, but it would, at this point in his career, give him the best opportunity to. McIlrath, too, could get a shot to see if he can swim at the NHL level. He's a high risk/high reward player at this point, but one that would fit with a retooling club.

We also have a wealth of longer shot forward prospects that we could cough up if they want a Haggerty, Hrivik or a Kristo.

Future
02-18-2015, 09:00 AM
If Sekera is a LD, do we want him to play on the third pair with Boyle?

That would leave them a little light in the loafers, wouldn't it?

momentum
02-18-2015, 09:39 AM
If Sekera is a LD, do we want him to play on the third pair with Boyle?

That would leave them a little light in the loafers, wouldn't it?

I think I would try Sekera with Staal and move Klein to the third pairing. Not because Klein in any way is lesser than Sekera (because he isn't. Klein is the MAN) but because I feel Klein might have a little edge defensively over Sekera and has more physicality to his game to compliment Boyle. It would be a nice trickle down effect.

My real preference though would be to keep Klein with Staal and trade Boyle as well and Get Sekera plus a defensive dman for the 3rd pairing. But that's not gonna happen.

Pete
02-18-2015, 09:40 AM
I think I would try Sekera with Staal and move Klein to the third pairing. Not because Klein in any way is lesser than Sekera (because he isn't. Klein is the MAN) but because I feel Klein might have a little edge defensively over Sekera and has more physicality to his game to compliment Boyle. It would be a nice trickle down effect.

That would put 2 LD and 2 RD on the same pair, not something AV does if he can help it.

momentum
02-18-2015, 09:42 AM
That would put 2 LD and 2 RD on the same pair, not something AV does if he can help it.
True and I bet AV would try Sekera with Boyle to start to see if it worked for that reason, like I added to my post, best thing would be if we could get rid of Boyle as well and replace with a solid defensive dman there to go with Sekera (if we should get him) I really don't like either Moore or Boyle on our team. I know, it won't happen.

thes5
02-18-2015, 03:40 PM
If Moore goes to Carolina as part of the deal, he immediately becomes their second best D man, behind Falk, who is incredibly over rated.
Throw in a pick and it might be something that gets Francis interested.

Blue Heaven
02-18-2015, 04:00 PM
Moore/2nd for Sekera, I would do it in a heartbeat. Get it done, Slats

Puck Head
02-18-2015, 04:40 PM
Moore/2nd for Sekera, I would do it in a heartbeat. Get it done, Slats

A tad much IMO for a player we lose this summer.

Phil in Absentia
02-18-2015, 04:44 PM
A tad much IMO for a player we lose this summer.

I have more issue giving up the 2nd rounder (with no first in the deepest draft since '03) than I do giving up on John Moore. But I will say this much — Hunwick is a journeyman who I wouldn't miss either, and Boyle is... well, not very good either. Considering our cap constrictions, I can also buy an argument centered around wanting to keep Moore based entirely on the fact he skates so well, and because his next contract is going to be for pennies on the dollar, just like the one he's on now.

That's not at all the case with Sekera, who is looking for "Staal money" (per McKenzie (https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/565308727784648705)), which means he's gone this summer regardless of what we pay to get him here.

JOHN
02-18-2015, 04:59 PM
I have more issue giving up the 2nd rounder (with no first in the deepest draft since '03) than I do giving up on John Moore. But I will say this much — Hunwick is a journeyman who I wouldn't miss either, and Boyle is... well, not very good either. Considering our cap constrictions, I can also buy an argument centered around wanting to keep Moore based entirely on the fact he skates so well, and because his next contract is going to be for pennies on the dollar, just like the one he's on now.

That's not at all the case with Sekera, who is looking for "Staal money" (per McKenzie (https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/565308727784648705)), which means he's gone this summer regardless of what we pay to get him here.

I agree. I have no interest at all in sending away a second rounder for a rental. It's just not going to be worth the return on investment in all likelihood.

Puck Head
02-18-2015, 05:04 PM

Exactly my thinking.
If we were a team looking for a possible long term fix on the 2nd pairing, then this trade might be worth it.
But he's a rental for a few months, that's it. And as you, I'm concerned about losing too many very cheap defenseman like Moore who can play at the NHL level, (even if poorly).

Phil in Absentia
02-18-2015, 05:11 PM
I agree. I have no interest at all in sending away a second rounder for a rental. It's just not going to be worth the return on investment in all likelihood.

Not for this kind of rental at least. Again, I'll go back to the example I gave a week ago or so — Nik Antropov. That's the kind of player worth that price.

Apparently the Leafs wanted a second and a prospect for Mike Santorelli. That's pathetic if that's truly an indication of where this market is headed. I'd sooner stand pat than give up significant draft picks for lowest common denominator players.

Exactly my thinking.
If we were a team looking for a possible long term fix on the 2nd pairing, then this trade might be worth it.
But he's a rental for a few months, that's it. And as you, I'm concerned about losing too many very cheap defenseman like Moore who can play at the NHL level, (even if poorly).

Exactly. The only way you could probably convince me to part with a second rounder is if it's coming for someone we stand a chance to re-sign. I'm not dealing it for a rental... and less so for one of Sekera's caliber. I'm really not that impressed by him as a player. Wasn't in Buffalo either. Sure, he's better than Moore or Hunwick, but not for the kind of cost we're talking about here.

Vodka Drunkenski
02-18-2015, 05:15 PM
You wouldn't deal a 2nd rounder if it gave us a cup?

Phil in Absentia
02-18-2015, 05:15 PM
You wouldn't deal a 2nd rounder if it gave us a cup?

Of course I would. But I don't believe for a moment that Andrej Sekera is the key to one.

Ranger Lothbrok
02-18-2015, 07:10 PM
Of course I would. But I don't believe for a moment that Andrej Sekera is the key to one.

Exactly. The short-term thinking with MSL got our guys through the SCFs crucible, for which I'm incredibly grateful, and I've said before I think that experience is invaluable given how much youth there is on the team. That said, this is a good fucking roster. We don't NEED that move anymore. Guys have finally grown in to their own that we've been waiting for. They're picking up the slack.

Yes, we could really use a steady 3rd pairing guy. But I'm not prepared to sacrifice ANY more futures to do it. I make the move if it's the right price. I don't, however, make the move at any cost.

Phil in Absentia
02-18-2015, 08:18 PM
Exactly. The short-term thinking with MSL got our guys through the SCFs crucible, for which I'm incredibly grateful, and I've said before I think that experience is invaluable given how much youth there is on the team. That said, this is a good fucking roster. We don't NEED that move anymore. Guys have finally grown in to their own that we've been waiting for. They're picking up the slack.

Yes, we could really use a steady 3rd pairing guy. But I'm not prepared to sacrifice ANY more futures to do it. I make the move if it's the right price. I don't, however, make the move at any cost.

Right, and if MSL was actually playing like that player this season (or at least if he does this off-season), what the Rangers really need here are two really small trades that shouldn't cost them anything higher than a third-round pick for any given player.

I'd rather deal a 7th for another John Mitchell than a 2nd and Moore for Sekera, for example.

Blue Heaven
02-18-2015, 08:34 PM
Rangers in win now mode or win in 4 years from now when the 2nd rounder may or may not make the club? IMO John Moore hasn't improved at all, Sekera is playing first D pairing in Carolina and could eat up minutes and solidify the defense playing on the 3rd pair. Id be more confident in the Rangers making a long run into June with Sekera on the back line rather than John Moore or Matt Hunwick. Sucks that the Rangers could potentially lose a 2nd rounder and John Moore but if they are going for a Cup run then its something that they would have to do. IMO the Rangers aren't going to get a potential difference maker w/o giving up a 2nd rounder, everyone knows the Rangers have 2 2nd round picks, so might as well get the best defenseman thats on the market as a rental.

Pete
02-18-2015, 09:02 PM
Rangers have been in "win now" mode every year since the lockout.

Ranger Lothbrok
02-18-2015, 09:58 PM

Yeah, this says it all. I get the whole "win now" mode mentality, but I feel like that should only apply to moves that substantially increase the likelihood of a Cup. Not a marginal player who adds depth. This isn't even the Matteau deal. At that time we had a team that was otherwise complete, but had a position that clearly NEEDED to be addressed. It wasn't a depth move.

We're vying for first place without Sekera. I'll take a crack at the next Stepan, Hagelin, Dubi, Callahan, Fast, Anisimov, D. Moore, Henrik, Duclair, Buchnevich or any other pick we've had outside the first round, before I just say fuck it and move for security reasons.

The Dude
02-18-2015, 10:44 PM
Im not trading a 2nd for THIS guy. Too weak defensively, and not really a fit for their needs. UNLESS Boyle can be dealt, which I don't see.

Get a guy that fills the need. Get a 2nd or 3rd pair guy. A guy used to playing that role. Not a guy who is used to being on the top pair on a shitty team, who puts up his mediocre point totals on big time minutes.

Mike
02-18-2015, 11:48 PM

More so now with the all the vets locked up. Outside of the 06/07 and 11/12 teams, these upcoming years are their best shot. I'm including last year's team with this one.