PDA

View Full Version : [Brooks] Staal-Girardi Combo and a Few Other Debatable Points

Slobberknocker
10-31-2014, 10:05 AM
But on Monday, coach Alain Vigneault reunited the erstwhile shutdown pair against the Wild while McDonagh skated with Kevin Klein. Coincidence or not, Staal produced what was likely his best game of the season even while McDonagh’s hiccups continued for a large portion of the Blueshirts’ startling 5-4 victory.

It remains to be seen whether the coach will continue with this alignment for Saturday’s Garden match against the Jets and then into the future. But one — specifically, one Alain Vigneault — should not discount the possibility, if not probability, that Staal’s improved work in the defensive zone was a result of the comfort zone that exists between him and his fellow alternate captain.

http://nypost.com/2014/10/31/staal-girardi-shutdown-combo-might-be-reunited-for-rangers/

--

I'm tending to agree with Brooks here. Although i think Hayes has played o.k. there's nothing wrong with him getting big minutes in Hartford where he can work on becoming a true top 9 center.

I want Duclair up here for eternity and believe its o.k. for him to sit here and there as long as he gets good minutes on the nights he does play. If you figure he will hit a wall at some point this year due to not having go through the NHL grind before there's nothing wrong with handling him like you would Hank, where he skates in 60 or so games.

I'm interested in hearing the boards take on the blue line combos. I think Mac will find his game so i'm not worried about that. Though the sampling is small but do you guys think staal / girardi might have found some cohesion here?

Ba Ba Bluey
10-31-2014, 10:10 AM
Staal and G always had decent chemistry. IIRC, It wasn't until Staal got hurt that Mac and G started to get paired together.

AmericanJesus
10-31-2014, 10:13 AM
Girardi has been our best defender this season and that includes a rough first few games. I don't doubt that McDonagh will find his game again either. The question isn't so big now. We have 1/3 of our defense out of the lineup. What ever the team needs to do to get through the next handful of games until we get healthy/suspension free is fine and will likely change. After that, it gets tricky. How much do you want to play Boyle? Would he stifle McDonagh's offense or add to it?