PDA

View Full Version : [Brooks] John Moore’s Nasty Head-Hunting Could Lead to Rangers Exit

Phil in Absentia
10-30-2014, 02:21 PM
Moore’s inexcusable lack of discipline is costing him and the Rangers, and what else is new? The 23-year-old has been among the team’s most disappointing players thus far. A tease with obvious talent who cannot seem to connect the dots from his skates to his hands to his heart to his head.

With Moore now moving up to 130 games wearing the Blueshirt, it has become easier and easier to understand why the Blue Jackets would have included the 2009 first-rounder in the package that came to New York with Derick Brassard and Derek Dorsett in exchange for Marian Gaborik at the 2012-13 trade deadline.

And now this. First, Moore put the Rangers in a personnel hole when they were one win away from the final and five wins away from the Stanley Cup. Now, he puts the Rangers in a hole as they’re already cutting and pasting on the blue line without the injured Dan Boyle.

His behavior is not acceptable. His lack of discipline is not acceptable. Twice within 14 games he has injured opponents and hurt his own team. A third strike, and he will be out, if not out of the league, then out of New York.

http://nypost.com/2014/10/29/john-moores-nasty-head-hunting-could-lead-to-rangers-exit/

--

It's a tad sensational (what else would you expect, considering the author?), and the title is a little yellow, considering there's no actual foundation to presume the Rangers are looking to deal him, but the idea of dealing him is appealing. I'd be a lot more comfortable with a trustworthy veteran, even if he lacks the same raw tools Moore has, because even with lesser tools, the vet knows how to use them. Moore doesn't.

Future
10-30-2014, 02:24 PM
Why does Brooks have to be such a douche all the time?

Pete
10-30-2014, 02:25 PM
Brooksy Brotherhood.

Shane Falco
10-30-2014, 03:26 PM
Why does Brooks have to be such a douche all the time?

Cos keyboard warrior.

Fuck Brooks. Tired of Moore too. Would rather play Allen over him or Kostka.

Phil in Absentia
10-30-2014, 03:36 PM
Cos keyboard warrior.

Fuck Brooks. Tired of Moore too. Would rather play Allen over him or Kostka.

Allen had an equally poor showing in pre-season and training camp. I have no idea how well he's bounced back at the AHL level, but it's worth noting he was quite disappointing early on.

Tonybologna
10-30-2014, 03:38 PM
Ugh why didn't they resign Diaz, it's really hurting now

Myusername
10-30-2014, 03:40 PM
Whatever, it's Moore. Plenty of D in this league that can be had for little to nothing that can do what he does (minus getting suspended)

Phil in Absentia
10-30-2014, 03:41 PM
Ugh why didn't they resign Diaz, it's really hurting now

I would have too, but he's on his fourth or fifth team in like two years for a reason as well. I'm not sure how much of a long-term solution he'd have been either.

What this really highlights is the lack of internal depth the organization really has on the blue line. There's no real help in the pipe line right now outside of Skjei, who isn't ready yet. It also highlights the frustration behind the amount of time it's taken for McIlrath to get there too, considering how long ago he was selected.

!br-avery!
10-30-2014, 07:11 PM
Stu Bickel!
Nuff said

Respecttheblue
10-30-2014, 09:57 PM
I've worked in trade journalism 10 years now (completely different industry than sports), and been a recipient of plenty of "off the record" (OTR) comments from authoritative sources, in which case it pretty much works the same — some are intended for publication/dissemination, or background, and others are made with a different agenda in mind.

Some originate because a person doesn't want to be identified but wants to bring up an issue anonymously.

Others are to seed information "out there"/test the waters for reaction, or initiate something, e.g. prepare the ground for something, and in this case maybe a trade.

Love him or hate him, Larry is connected and is one of the first people Slats might call with OTR information (though not always). Sure Larry has fallen on his face a few times; other times he's been right on, even if some wish it weren't so.

Sometimes it might be to pre-break bad news to the fans for example, "we're having trouble negotiating with fan favorite player X, his days as a Ranger may be numbered (not applicable here)

or ...

to stir up some interest in the trade market. (more likely here)

If their intention was to trade Moore, it would suit the Rangers very much, to have a prominent journalist throw some bait/chum in the water to prep the way for maybe an incoming phone call or two, rather than come out themselves in public thereby immediately reducing his trade value.
The ploy might have a slim chance of netting a call or two, and getting them a more equal return, and as such, worth it to give the "leak" to Larry a try.

phillyb™
10-30-2014, 10:08 PM
jesus christ. i normally don't read posts that are longer than three sentences, but that was one of the most eye-opening and well written posts i've read on the internet.

note to self - rep this dude hard

from a NON-JOURNALISTIC point of view of course...

BlueJay
10-31-2014, 12:42 PM
Bah... I like JM, he's at least willing to hit someone as a defensmen. I know the league has been turned into pansification but, I think he needs to be sat down
and be given an explanation. I still think the hit was clean and am biased enough, to admit it. :)

fletch
10-31-2014, 03:40 PM
I get why teams sometimes float rumors: to gauge public and NHL reaction to a move, prep a fan base for a potentially unpopular move, etc.

I just want this team operating at full strength as quickly as possible. And getting suspending 5 games isn't helping the cause.

momentum
10-31-2014, 04:20 PM
Why isn't our 2010 first round pick playing instead? How fucking bad can he be at this point? And if he is bad why isn't he traded before he lost all his value? Our defense is a mess and something needs to be done ffs.

Bretzky
10-31-2014, 04:25 PM
Why isn't our 2010 first round pick playing instead? How fucking bad can he be at this point? And if he is bad why isn't he traded before he lost all his value? Our defense is a mess and something needs to be done ffs.

I agree. Let McIlrath play some NHL games now while the team is still feeling itself out. Maybe we get lucky and a few goals go in off his ass, or he throws a big hit, and then we can trade him before everyone realizes he really is a Hugh Jessiman style bust. I would honestly like to see him or Allen get in some games while J.Moore is out. We know what we have in Kostka. Let's see how Allen / McIlrath look in some real NHL games. I know they were both underwhelming in preseason. Things change. Let's give them a look.

Also, what a sensational article by Bus Stop Brooksy. He paints John Moore to be this head-hunting goon with a mean streak. You'd think John Moore was the Matt Cooke of a few years ago after reading this. What a crock. The only accurate part is that Moore can't connect his brain to his game. Put John Moore's motor / skating stride inside someone like Staal or even Girardi and he'd be a great player.

Ranger Lothbrok
10-31-2014, 06:32 PM
I agree. Let McIlrath play some NHL games now while the team is still feeling itself out. Maybe we get lucky and a few goals go in off his ass, or he throws a big hit, and then we can trade him before everyone realizes he really is a Hugh Jessiman style bust. I would honestly like to see him or Allen get in some games while J.Moore is out. We know what we have in Kostka. Let's see how Allen / McIlrath look in some real NHL games. I know they were both underwhelming in preseason. Things change. Let's give them a look.

Also, what a sensational article by Bus Stop Brooksy. He paints John Moore to be this head-hunting goon with a mean streak. You'd think John Moore was the Matt Cooke of a few years ago after reading this. What a crock. The only accurate part is that Moore can't connect his brain to his game. Put John Moore's motor / skating stride inside someone like Staal or even Girardi and he'd be a great player.

And therein lies the problem. He's about to be 24 in a few weeks, so he's young on the defense-end of the spectrum. He should be, realistically, 2-3 years away from his peak. The problem is that he hasn't shown that there's a chance of him reaching that potential in that timeframe. We've been spoiled with some of our young d-men, but Mac/G/Staal/Sauer/DZ all showed signs of being good young players in their first 2-3 seasons. Moore could just very well be one of those guys that never puts it all together. Like Pete so often says, he's hockey stupid. In fact, if Kreider has a low hockey IQ, John Moore is in hockey special ed.

All of this being said, he put together a stretch last year (prior to getting injured) of about a month of terrific performance. He was playing smart and doing all the little things well. If we're going to deal him, with a 6'3", 200 pound, fleet-footed, first round draft pick, 23 year old defenseman, we're better served waiting until he puts together a good stretch again, which also makes sense given the banged-up state of our blueline and shallow depth. I can think of several teams that would love to roll the dice, but with a player who's 3 years away from his prime, I don't believe cutting your losses is the proper gambit at this stage of the game.

Bretzky
10-31-2014, 10:17 PM
And therein lies the problem. He's about to be 24 in a few weeks, so he's young on the defense-end of the spectrum. He should be, realistically, 2-3 years away from his peak. The problem is that he hasn't shown that there's a chance of him reaching that potential in that timeframe. We've been spoiled with some of our young d-men, but Mac/G/Staal/Sauer/DZ all showed signs of being good young players in their first 2-3 seasons. Moore could just very well be one of those guys that never puts it all together. Like Pete so often says, he's hockey stupid. In fact, if Kreider has a low hockey IQ, John Moore is in hockey special ed.

All of this being said, he put together a stretch last year (prior to getting injured) of about a month of terrific performance. He was playing smart and doing all the little things well. If we're going to deal him, with a 6'3", 200 pound, fleet-footed, first round draft pick, 23 year old defenseman, we're better served waiting until he puts together a good stretch again, which also makes sense given the banged-up state of our blueline and shallow depth. I can think of several teams that would love to roll the dice, but with a player who's 3 years away from his prime, I don't believe cutting your losses is the proper gambit at this stage of the game.

Great points.

I do think he'd be a nice "sweetener" in a package deal for a center or legitimate top-4 D.

Respecttheblue
10-31-2014, 11:09 PM

I'd love to give them a look. I'd also love to give Moore more patience based on his better streaks of play last year.
I don't like bad hits happening like this, he phucked up, but I feel kids should be allowed to make mistakes and not feel like the world's gonna implode. D is a tough position to learn and it's not like we don't need some folks who will keep players heads up in a legitimate way -- just not in a dangerous way.

Bah... I like JM, he's at least willing to hit someone as a defensmen. I know the league has been turned into pansification but, I think he needs to be sat down
and be given an explanation. I still think the hit was clean and am biased enough, to admit it. :)

I gotta give that a :thumbs: and a rep.

I hope this hasn't damaged his reputation too much long-term, causing him to lose more "benefit of the doubt" calls, he seems completely genuine in his intent not to injure. A small adjustment in line or point of impact maybe/better timing and that might have been a much better hit, one that would have had the fans cheering. Seemed like an honest mess up, and he's got to pay the price.

Travis Bickle
11-01-2014, 02:09 AM
John Moore wants dirty label shed: Not ‘trying to injure people’

John Moore certainly seemed contrite as the Rangers defenseman was set to begin his five-game suspension with Saturday’s match at the Garden against the Jets.

“It’s hard, but there is no one to blame here but myself,” Moore said after Friday’s practice. “Those are hits I can’t make. I can’t stress enough that the intent is — I’m not going out there trying to injure people. I’m trying to be physical, I’m trying to make a defensive play there, and I missed him.”

http://nypost.com/2014/10/31/john-moore-wants-dirty-label-shed-not-trying-to-injure-people/

BlueJay
11-01-2014, 11:49 AM
I'd love to give them a look. I'd also love to give Moore more patience based on his better streaks of play last year.
I don't like bad hits happening like this, he phucked up, but I feel kids should be allowed to make mistakes and not feel like the world's gonna implode. D is a tough position to learn and it's not like we don't need some folks who will keep players heads up in a legitimate way -- just not in a dangerous way.

I gotta give that a :thumbs: and a rep.

I hope this hasn't damaged his reputation too much long-term, causing him to lose more "benefit of the doubt" calls, he seems completely genuine in his intent not to injure. A small adjustment in line or point of impact maybe/better timing and that might have been a much better hit, one that would have had the fans cheering. Seemed like an honest mess up, and he's got to pay the price.

Exactly. It's only game 7 of the year here, he's young and knows how to play the game. :thumbs:

Pete
11-01-2014, 03:07 PM
But he doesn't know how to play the game. That's his problem.

momentum
11-02-2014, 04:17 AM
But he doesn't know how to play the game. That's his problem.

Seems to me he's a classic example of the kid who snoozes through the basics how to actually play the game and got by on just cheer talent fine and now it's coming back to bite him in the ass when he needs both talent and knowledge...
instead of having learned what he need early on and it being like second nature for him that he doesn't have to think about now he now has to think about what to do during the game too much which is too fast paced so he's screwed and makes mistakes..
or....he could just be in a slump...

Pete
11-02-2014, 10:17 AM
It's been a long slump.