PDA

View Full Version : Suspension/Fine: John Moore Suspended Five Games for Hit on Erik Haula

Phil in Absentia
10-28-2014, 09:14 AM
:tweet: @Real_ESPNLeBrun: NHL will have a hearing with John Moore for hit on Haula last night.

:tweet: @NHLPlayerSafety: NY Rangers' John Moore has been offered an in-person hearing for an illegal check to the head of Minnesota's Erik Haula. Date and time TBD.

--

The hit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgirsrPojOU

http://i.imgur.com/Bb1KVg4.gif

--

Update 10/29:

:tweet: @TSNBobMcKenzie: NYR John Moore gets a five-game suspension.

AmericanJesus
10-28-2014, 10:03 AM
As I said in the GDT, I think 8 games is appropriate. It really doesn't get any more text book as far as hits they're trying to get out of the game, and he's a repeat offender now.

AmericanJesus
10-28-2014, 10:05 AM
For reference, here's his first hit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0opMbQMZo8&feature=youtu.be

And last night's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgirsrPojOU

Pete
10-28-2014, 10:10 AM
This kid could be such a good hockey player if he only had a brain.

AmericanJesus
10-28-2014, 10:15 AM
:tweet: ‏@JSportsnet League is attempting to arrange a time with NYR for a hearing for Dman John Moore, for his vicious hit on Jonas Brodin.

That would seem to indicate in-person, I would imagine. You don't call to figure out what time you can call.

Phil in Absentia
10-28-2014, 10:22 AM
:tweet: ‏@JSportsnet League is attempting to arrange a time with NYR for a hearing for Dman John Moore, for his vicious hit on Jonas Brodin.

That would seem to indicate in-person, I would imagine. You don't call to figure out what time you can call.

Which stands in line with our belief that it's going to be five-plus.

phillyb™
10-28-2014, 10:33 AM
did they really misuse the names though?
he hit haula, not brodin.

between 4-5 i think. if it's more, i wouldn't even be mad.
repeat offender - same hit.
stupid fucking play.

Pete
10-28-2014, 10:35 AM
If Boyle was back, I'd want Moore to get 10 - 15 games. But...Kostka.

Might be Connor Allen time.

G1000
10-28-2014, 10:50 AM
Allen, McIlrath or Bodie will get the callup.

I think it's time to see what McIlrath can bring.

Phil in Absentia
10-28-2014, 10:51 AM
Allen, McIlrath or Bodie will get the callup.

I think it's time to see what McIlrath can bring.

I don't see why/how, if Kostka is kept up.

I'd love for McIlrath to get a shot, and John Moore is actually exactly the type of target player he should be looking to unseat, but Kostka is already here.

Shanahammer
10-28-2014, 10:52 AM
He deserves whatever he gets. That was just a stupid fucking hit.

EdMc28
10-28-2014, 10:53 AM
I would think regardless of how bad the hit was this was going to be an in person hearing since the Rangers are staying in New York all week and the league does the hearings in midtown.

G1000
10-28-2014, 10:55 AM
I don't see why/how, if Kostka is kept up.

I'd love for McIlrath to get a shot, and John Moore is actually exactly the type of target player he should be looking to unseat, but Kostka is already here.

I don't think we can trust Kostka for 8-10 games. It's a question of which evil we prefer - the one we know or the one we don't. We know McIlrath may not be ready, but is it a risk worth taking? I'd think so.

Phil in Absentia
10-28-2014, 11:31 AM
:tweet: @TSNBobMcKenzie: NYR John Moore's hearing with @NHLPlayerSafety is believed to be via phone, not in person, which means suspension would be 5 games or less.

--

Wow. Lucky.

Pete
10-28-2014, 11:33 AM
This team is still floundering (comeback aside).

Putting McIlrath in right now not only hurts us, it hurts him.

AmericanJesus
10-28-2014, 11:40 AM
:tweet: @TSNBobMcKenzie: NYR John Moore's hearing with @NHLPlayerSafety is believed to be via phone, not in person, which means suspension would be 5 games or less.

--

Wow. Lucky.

I hate the message this sends. This was back-to-back text book examples. If this happened to Nash, we'd be livid that it was 5 games max.

Phil in Absentia
10-28-2014, 11:49 AM
I hate the message this sends. This was back-to-back text book examples. If this happened to Nash, we'd be livid that it was 5 games max.

Same. This is a prime opportunity for the Quintal-era to establish itself as something other than meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

G1000
10-28-2014, 11:55 AM
I'm shocked it's a phone call, unless they have the angle to say that it was elbow-to-chest contact and they simply deem the play reckless.

Valriera
10-28-2014, 12:11 PM
I mean, to be fair if it's a five gamer I think that's probably OK. Not defending the hit or anything but five games is quite a jump up for a second-time offender than what we normally see.

phillyb™
10-28-2014, 12:16 PM
I mean, to be fair if it's a five gamer I think that's probably OK. Not defending the hit or anything but five games is quite a jump up for a second-time offender than what we normally see.

well...

Same. This is a prime opportunity for the Quintal-era to establish itself as something other than meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

i'm with phil. they could have used this hit to really set a precedent in the way things are going to be handled from here on out. i wouldn't even be mad if they made an example out of moore.

Phil in Absentia
10-28-2014, 12:35 PM
Hold the phone (all pun intended)!

:tweet: @TSNBobMcKenzie: Awaiting word that NYR John Moore's hearing may not be via phone, after all. Possible it could be in person. Stay tuned.

Here's another angle of the hit, just for everyone's info:

http://i.imgur.com/Bb1KVg4.gif

:tweet: @NHLPlayerSafety: NY Rangers' John Moore has been offered an in-person hearing for an illegal check to the head of Minnesota's Erik Haula. Date and time TBD.

Dunny
10-28-2014, 01:08 PM
Anybody have any info on how McIlrath has looked in Hartford so far?

Mike
10-28-2014, 01:51 PM
Am I playing with myself too much, or does it look like he got him in the chest? Did Houla continue playing?

Phil in Absentia
10-28-2014, 01:53 PM
Am I playing with myself too much, or does it look like he got him in the chest? Did Houla continue playing?

The additional angle does look chest-first. That's one of the benefits the NHL DPS get that we, as fans, often don't. The MSG feed looked like he just came in and rocked him with that chicken wing effect, elbow-to-jaw.

Haula didn't come back, I don't believe, and Michael Russo (Star Tribune) is saying he's likely a no-go for the Bruins.

Mike
10-28-2014, 01:57 PM
Moore was skating towards the puck carrier. Puck carrier shot the puck, and his momentum took him into Moore, more than Moore's momentum went into the puck carrier. Pretty sure there isn't a human being alive that wouldn't lift his arm up to protect himself from contact, even if the other person was going to get the brunt of it. He hit him from the front, and if he didn't clip his head, he shouldn't be suspended. I'm sure they'll ask Houla where he was hit and make a judgement from there.

Mike
10-28-2014, 01:59 PM
That was bang bang. Where is the Staal hit on Stajan from a few years ago? Similar, no?

Pete
10-28-2014, 02:00 PM
He's not going to escape the fact he had his arm out like a chicken wing. Hard to sell "self defense" that way. And he's a prior case, so he's got to be doing it cleaner.

Mike
10-28-2014, 02:05 PM
He didn't chicken wing into him. He chicken winged him after the contact. Like as a "get the fuck away from me" I have to say that I would have done the same exact thing if I was in that position, and I'm not a huge Moore fan.

Mike
10-28-2014, 02:09 PM
In addition, Houla got low to shoot the puck, and was getting himself back into an upright position. I think this play was a result of the speed of the game. What if Houla carried the puck for 1 more second? It would have been shoulder to shoulder

Phil in Absentia
10-28-2014, 02:10 PM
In addition, Houla got low to shoot the puck, and was getting himself back into an upright position. I think this play was a result of the speed of the game. What if Houla carried the puck for 1 more second? It would have been shoulder to shoulder

Problem is, Moore came cross-ice to make that contact, and the onus has shifted to the hitter in today's NHL.

Pete
10-28-2014, 02:10 PM
We shouldn't even be talking about a borderline hit under 15 games since his last suspension. That's why he's getting clipped here.

cousin
10-28-2014, 03:02 PM
His head snaps but the hit was below the head. Hope they see it that way.

So Nashty
10-28-2014, 03:06 PM
In slow mo that hit doesn't even look too bad. Doesn't look like any head contact was even made. But yea he should not have had come across like that. He should know better.

FleshistheFever
10-28-2014, 03:26 PM
Clean hit. Sometime people get hurt on clean shots. This happens to be one of them. He got under the head, into the chest and lifted up without touching the head. AND the head was not the initial point of contact, anyhow. How else do you drop someone? People are going to get hurt from time to time. High speed, high intensity, contact sport. What else do you need to know? Put on some muscle and keep your head up, chicken chest. Whats the point of playing a contact sport if you cant make contact? CLEAN CONTACT.

This does not deserve a suspension!

Pete
10-28-2014, 03:29 PM
I can't see how it's even debatable that there was head contact. There was clear head contact.

Myusername
10-28-2014, 03:29 PM
Honestly, from that angle it doesn't even look like he touched his head. Dare I saw it looks like a good hit, principle point of contact being the chest. A cheap hit, but good nonetheless. Haula was admiring his shot a little bit too much there.

Based on that video I think he should get 1 game max. But with his previous suspension it might get bumped to 2-4

Myusername
10-28-2014, 03:30 PM
I can't see how it's even debatable that there was head contact. There was clear head contact.

Maybe I'm blind, but it is hardly clear there

Pete
10-28-2014, 03:33 PM
Clear to me. Clear as day. From the video, from the player's reaction, can't see how it can be disputed.

Apparently the NHL sees it that way, or he wouldn't have an in-person hearing. They'd have cleared him the same way they cleared Kreider.

FleshistheFever
10-28-2014, 03:33 PM

Yeah... Umm, no.

Pete
10-28-2014, 03:34 PM
Yeah.Uh, no.

Please elaborate.

FleshistheFever
10-28-2014, 03:35 PM
His head jerked, yeah. Was he hit in the head? No.

Shoulder and forearm to chest. The head was down. Be aware of your surroundings. You want to take a big shot on net? Well, be prepared to be layed out.

Pete
10-28-2014, 03:38 PM
His head jerked, yeah. Was he hit in the head? No.

OK, well, the NHL didn't see that — and they have 300 angles and 17 sets of eyes all saying that Moore is going to be suspended.

FleshistheFever
10-28-2014, 03:41 PM
OK, well, the NHL didn't see that — and they have 300 angles and 17 sets of eyes all saying that Moore is going to be suspended.

Different situation but remember the Miller goal that was called off last year which HE DIDNT KICK IN and was ruled that HE DID KICK IT IN. I believe it cost us the game, if i remember correctly. Those eyes arent always on our side.

Myusername
10-28-2014, 03:47 PM

All blind eyes apparently then

Pete
10-28-2014, 03:49 PM
Different situation but remember the Miller goal that was called off last year which HE DIDNT KICK IN and was ruled that HE DID KICK IT IN. I believe it cost us the game, if i remember correctly. Those eyes arent always on our side.
Granted, noted, and understood, however...Those eyes didn't have the luxury of a day and a half of review.

Myusername
10-28-2014, 03:49 PM
I don't care if Moore never plays another NHL game honestly, but that did not look like a hit to the head. Of course your head is going to bounce around all funny if some guy stops you dead in your tracks as you're flying by

Mike
10-28-2014, 03:55 PM
Honestly, from that angle it doesn't even look like he touched his head. Dare I saw it looks like a good hit, principle point of contact being the chest. A cheap hit, but good nonetheless. Haula was admiring his shot a little bit too much there.

Based on that video I think he should get 1 game max. But with his previous suspension it might get bumped to 2-4
Houla wasn't admiring his shot, he was doing what everyone else does after they shoot the puck .... watch it, and see if you scored, or continue the play.

FleshistheFever
10-28-2014, 03:56 PM
Granted, noted, and understood, however...Those eyes didn't have the luxury of a day and a half of review.

The only thing that they have on him is coming across the ice and laying the hit. Not the point of contact but the malice behind it. He certainly meant to rattle some bones.

Mike
10-28-2014, 04:00 PM
Fwiw, they missed Klein's interference penalty.

Pete
10-28-2014, 04:01 PM
The only thing that they have on him is coming across the ice and laying the hit. Not the point of contact but the malice behind it. He certainly meant to rattle some bones.

If you're Moore, you can deliver that hit a dozen games after you just got suspended for the same type of hit.

This is going to be the same thing that happened to Cooke, where everyone is analyzing if his knee was out, or not, or his elbw made contact, or not.

How about don't even be borderline if you have a history? This is what we've all asked for. But now because it's a Ranger, some people don't like it.

FleshistheFever
10-28-2014, 04:35 PM
If you're Moore, you can deliver that hit a dozen games after you just got suspended for the same type of hit.

This is going to be the same thing that happened to Cooke, where everyone is analyzing if his knee was out, or not, or his elbw made contact, or not.

How about don't even be borderline if you have a history? This is what we've all asked for. But now because it's a Ranger, some people don't like it.

No one ever said he wasnt dopey. haha. I suppose its those youthful impulses to hit hard without thinking of the consequences. He did mean well. He wanted to help the team. Those types of hits, for people who enjoy getting physical, are almost hardwired into your brain to get your team going, get you going, and piss the opponent off. Its a tough situation. I see both sides of the argument. Its not the worst we've ever seen. Was it hard? Yes. Was it clean? More yes than no. Should he have done it considering his history? Probably not. Though, there has been a lot of noticeable "pussy-footing" going on in the NHL this season. Players are trying their hardest not to hit from behind and not to throw head shots so when something like this does occur, whether its clean or not, it looks bad and action MUST be taken. Its a very thin line. 1 inch or 1 second came make a huge difference in an overall outcome. Theres going to be a lot of trial and error with the transition the NHL is trying to make. This just so happens to be along the cusp of what they're trying to do away with. I say the tie goes to the runner on this one and if he doesnt it again, take appropriate action.

Pete
10-28-2014, 04:39 PM
No one ever said he wasnt dopey. haha. I suppose its those youthful impulses to hit hard without thinking of the consequences. He did mean well. He wanted to help the team. Those types of hits, for people who enjoy getting physical, are almost hardwired into your brain to get your team going, get you going, and piss the opponent off. Its a tough situation. I see both sides of the argument. Its not the worst we've ever seen. Was it hard? Yes. Was it clean? More yes than no. Should he have done it considering his history? Probably not. Though, there has been a lot of noticeable "pussy-footing" going on in the NHL this season. Players are trying their hardest not to hit from behind and not to throw head shots so when something like this does occur, whether its clean or not, it looks bad and action MUST be taken. Its a very thin line. 1 inch or 1 second came make a huge difference in an overall outcome. Theres going to be a lot of trial and error with the transition the NHL is trying to make. This just so happens to be along the cusp of what they're trying to do away with. I say the tie goes to the runner on this one and if he doesnt it again, take appropriate action.

Well he already did it, to Weise, so this is appropriate action. How many more guys should get popped illegally? I don't agree it was more clean than not. It was targeting a vulnerable player. You simply have to let up.

Yes, it's a contact sport, but time changes things. We know things about concussions now that we didn't when Scott Stevens played. Paulk Kariya wouldn't be allowed to play after he died and came back to life.

We already suffer with victims of clean hits (where are you now, Mike Sauer?), so I"m OK with booting anything borderline. If you have to examine it from 173 angles to see a fuzzy image of what may or not be a headshot, it's too close, IMO.

Phil in Absentia
10-28-2014, 04:40 PM
:tweet: @renlavoietva: L'audience de #rangers John Moore aura lieu ŕ 13:00 demain. Moore a rejeté la demande de faire l'audience en personne. #tvasports

Google Translate version
:tweet: @renlavoietva: The hearing of #rangers John Moore will be held at 13:00 tomorrow. Moore denied the request to the hearing in person. #tvasports

Pete
10-28-2014, 04:43 PM
What a fuckin' idiot.

You never turn down the chance to plead your case in person.

cousin
10-28-2014, 04:46 PM
Maybe he feels its a kangaroo court. I'm sure he was advised by both the NYR and possibly the NHLPA and his lawyer.

FleshistheFever
10-28-2014, 04:48 PM
Well he already did it, to Weise, so this is appropriate action. How many more guys should get popped illegally? I don't agree it was more clean than not. It was targeting a vulnerable player. You simply have to let up.

Yes, it's a contact sport, but time changes things. We know things about concussions now that we didn't when Scott Stevens played. Paulk Kariya wouldn't be allowed to play after he died and came back to life.

We already suffer with victims of clean hits (where are you now, Mike Sauer?), so I"m OK with booting anything borderline. If you have to examine it from 173 angles to see a fuzzy image of what may or not be a headshot, it's too close, IMO.

Agreed.

The Dude
10-28-2014, 05:52 PM
Not a fan of Moore one bit. I dont see the hit as illegal. Was going for the hit, but more or less protected himself by landing the hit at full speed. If the player is injured its a suspension though. Especially if hes concussed. Which CAN happen without head contact.

Cash or Czech?
10-28-2014, 06:14 PM
Contrary to popular belief, J. Moore is a serviceable player and not just a body. I get that he's the new Rozsival, the new Malik, the new whipping boy. I'm not gonna over-exaggerate and say he's a top-4 defenseman, but he's improved as the games have gone on this season and was a reasonably solid bottom pairing guy.

That all being said, this hit was stupid. Even if it looks like a head hit, just put your elbows and shoulders down and nail him in the logo. He should've gone to the in person hearing, another stupid decision. Hope he doesn't get too many games because I don't think I can handle Kostka on this team right now with as little depth as we have.

Dunny
10-28-2014, 06:46 PM
I surprised many co-workers today by stating that the general hope of Ranger fans is that he gets 30 games.

Phil in Absentia
10-28-2014, 07:08 PM
Contrary to popular belief, J. Moore is a serviceable player and not just a body. I get that he's the new Rozsival, the new Malik, the new whipping boy. I'm not gonna over-exaggerate and say he's a top-4 defenseman, but he's improved as the games have gone on this season and was a reasonably solid bottom pairing guy.

That all being said, this hit was stupid. Even if it looks like a head hit, just put your elbows and shoulders down and nail him in the logo. He should've gone to the in person hearing, another stupid decision. Hope he doesn't get too many games because I don't think I can handle Kostka on this team right now with as little depth as we have.

He can't be the new either of them, as both were adequate top-4 defenders — Rozsíval especially.

He's also not a whipping boy. Pointing out the flaws of a player is not whipping them.

BlueJay
10-28-2014, 07:48 PM
He can't be the new either of them, as both were adequate top-4 defenders — Rozsíval especially.

He's also not a whipping boy. Pointing out the flaws of a player is not whipping them.

Rozy and Malik were less than adequate IMO. I'll take Moore over either of them, 10 times over.

The hit to me though, textbook Stevens hit in the old NHL. His elbow looked like it extended after the contact, 3 games because he's a repeater.

Myusername
10-28-2014, 07:53 PM
I see nothing wrong with Moore as a #5/#6, especially at what he's getting paid. He's playing fine if you take that into consideration. It's Staal, Girardi and McDonagh that haven't been getting the job done lately

Pete
10-28-2014, 07:54 PM
G has been one of our best D after 2-3 poor games.

leetchy2
10-28-2014, 08:05 PM
Does anybody know if Haula was concussed or suffered any other head injury? Looking at the slow-mo video posted earlier it looked like the hit was mostly to the chest. Seems like that if Haula is concussed then Moore could be looking at 4-8 games for repeat offense. If not concussed I'm not sure it should be more than a couple of games. It wasn't really a blind-side hit either. Sure Haula didn't see it coming, but Moore was actually a few feet ahead of him before making the turn for the check. Guess we'll see.

Oh, and regarding Malik and Rosi, I thought both were respectable defensemen. At least their statistics back that up. The only knock was they didn't play the body well and didn't compete hard for the puck along the boards. However, they did a decent job keeping the puck out of our net, and how can anyone hate Malik after that thrilling shootout goal!

Pete
10-28-2014, 08:15 PM
Does anybody know if Haula was concussed or suffered any other head injury? Looking at the slow-mo video posted earlier it looked like the hit was mostly to the chest. Seems like that if Haula is concussed then Moore could be looking at 4-8 games for repeat offense. If not concussed I'm not sure it should be more than a couple of games. It wasn't really a blind-side hit either. Sure Haula didn't see it coming, but Moore was actually a few feet ahead of him before making the turn for the check. Guess we'll see.

Oh, and regarding Malik and Rosi, I thought both were respectable defensemen. At least their statistics back that up. The only knock was they didn't play the body well and didn't compete hard for the puck along the boards. However, they did a decent job keeping the puck out of our net, and how can anyone hate Malik after that thrilling shootout goal!

Officially not concussed, but he's not playing tonight.

Ranger Lothbrok
10-28-2014, 08:16 PM
Well, I hate to continue going off topic, but I'll vehemently defend Rozsival any day of the week. Malik, however, I wouldn't piss on if he were on fire.

Fun story some of you might enjoy: a few years ago, before Twitter was a big thing, you used to be able to text a number during intermissions and there was a chance your text would be displayed on GardenVision. As a joke, never thinking it would get put up, I texted, "Marek, I still love you sweetie. Come home. -Mom" and they actually put it up there during the third period. The entire Garden cracked up.

Cash or Czech?
10-28-2014, 09:09 PM
He can't be the new either of them, as both were adequate top-4 defenders — Rozsíval especially. He's also not a whipping boy. Pointing out the flaws of a player is not whipping them. Ignoring obvious improvements in his game (not you specifically) over one or two bad plays makes him the whipping boy. He's gotten better in every game sans for a few stinkers. Nobody gives him credit which is why I call him the whipping boy. People make him out to be worse than Dale Purington.

Pete
10-28-2014, 09:16 PM
Ignoring obvious improvements in his game (not you specifically) over one or two bad plays makes him the whipping boy. He's gotten better in every game sans for a few stinkers. Nobody gives him credit which is why I call him the whipping boy. People make him out to be worse than Dale Purington.

Maybe the improvements aren't obvious of only you see them.

Mike
10-28-2014, 09:43 PM
What a fuckin' idiot.

You never turn down the chance to plead your case in person.
I could be wrong, but I'm reading it as the DPS denied Moore's request to plea in person. If that's the case, I can understand why they would say no. You're opening the door for the Rangers, Isles, and Devils to do something that the rest of the league could never do as conveniently.

Pete
10-28-2014, 09:44 PM
I could be wrong, but I'm reading it as the DPS denied Moore's request to plea in person. If that's the case, I can understand why they would say no. You're opening the door for the Rangers, Isles, and Devils to do something that the rest of the league could never do as conveniently.

No, the player chooses to appear or not.

Mike
10-28-2014, 09:45 PM
No, the player chooses to appear or not.

I thought if the DPS called for an in person hearing, you had to go?

Pete
10-28-2014, 09:48 PM
I thought if the DPS called for an in person hearing, you had to go?

I thought you had the right to waive your hearing lol.

Cash or Czech?
10-28-2014, 09:52 PM
Maybe the improvements aren't obvious of only you see them.

Negative feelings overpower positive ones and have a deeper impact. One or two bad things outweigh all of the good a player does. But hey, it's no use arguing with people who don't want to see it (again, not you specifically). It's just like, my opinion man.

Mike
10-28-2014, 09:53 PM

Lol. Holy confusion.

Slobberknocker
10-29-2014, 12:23 PM
this will not end well, as far as him coming back any time soon.

Phil in Absentia
10-29-2014, 12:35 PM
:tweet: @stevezipay: Rangers will not call up any D right away, that could change depending on length of Moore's suspension. So Kostka will play Saturday

Captain Clutch
10-29-2014, 12:47 PM
As long as Kostka doesn't pass the puck it should be alright

13 Zherdev 13
10-29-2014, 01:12 PM

This is correct. If the DPS gives you the right to an in-person hearing the player may waive that right and have it via phone. Normally players will not attend them in-person.

Phil in Absentia
10-29-2014, 05:04 PM

Vodka Drunkenski
10-29-2014, 05:13 PM
He's lucky IMO

Mike
10-29-2014, 05:14 PM

Guess he got him in the head.

cousin
10-29-2014, 05:28 PM
Boys are pretty rested maybe roll 5

Thats a lot of money to a guy like Moore

phillyb™
10-29-2014, 05:29 PM
5 games...sounds about right. could have been moore (get it?), but i think 5 is at least fair.

Gorilla Salad
10-29-2014, 05:54 PM
Haven't read through all the posts in this thread, so apologies in advance if this has been mentioned already...Have been looking at posts on tsn, HF, etc. and all I can say, is that people are complete assholes. On both sides for and against the 5 game suspension, people just see what they want to see and nothing else. I even saw one post calling Kreider the "next Matt Cook".

Travis Bickle
10-29-2014, 06:38 PM
I guess it's Kostka time. Ugh.

!br-avery!
10-29-2014, 08:13 PM
Well he gets a little chance to redeem himself ,Kostka..lol

Slobberknocker
10-29-2014, 09:36 PM
its a fair sentence

Travis Bickle
10-29-2014, 10:03 PM
Well he gets a little chance to redeem himself ,Kostka..lol

He'll need a lot of redemption after that Islanders game.

MacTruck
10-29-2014, 11:59 PM
No way we don't see Allen or McI sometime in the next 2 weeks

Phil in Absentia
10-30-2014, 12:24 PM
:tweet: @Russostrib: Haula called John Moore "a class act," said Moore got his number from Justin Falk and called Tuesday to apologize. #mnwild #nyrangers

:thumbs:

Future
10-30-2014, 01:10 PM
That doesn't surprise me all that much to be honest. Despite the two bad hits, I don't think Moore's intent was ever to really injure anybody...he's just kind of dumb lol

phillyb™
10-30-2014, 01:12 PM
good on you johnny

Morphinity
10-30-2014, 01:16 PM
I'm glad he's nice. He's still really dumb though.

Pete
10-30-2014, 01:20 PM
That doesn't surprise me all that much to be honest. Despite the two bad hits, I don't think Moore's intent was ever to really injure anybody...he's just kind of dumb lol

This, 100%. Just poor awareness and reflexes.

Travis Bickle
10-30-2014, 01:35 PM
Kostka likely to see Moore's time

With defenseman John Moore suspended five games for his high hit on Minnesota's Erik Haula on Monday, Michael Kostka, is expected to step in on Saturday against Winnipeg.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/derek-stepan-close-to-returning-for-rangers-1.9560898

Future
10-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Could very well be Kostka's last shot in the NHL. Might prove to be a good thing......maybe.

Travis Bickle
10-30-2014, 01:45 PM
Could be. The article also mentioned that AV wasn't sure of Kostka's status beyond Saturday.

stinkyapuzzo
10-30-2014, 01:59 PM
I know many will disagree with me and I'm not just taking this side since I'm a ranger fan but I don't see a shot to the head. Watching the first video on this you can his hand is below the chin and elbow is below his hand. Also another point for my arguement is if someone is skating across and gets you with a clear elbow to the head your head would make a jerking motion back. There was no such motion

Shane Falco
10-30-2014, 01:59 PM
Fuck. Off. Kostka

stinkyapuzzo
10-30-2014, 02:05 PM
Yeah the more I watch it from the side angle hand is clearly below his face and arm is clearly bent so elbow made contact with chest. Bad call in my eyes.

Pete
10-30-2014, 02:23 PM
I know many will disagree with me and I'm not just taking this side since I'm a ranger fan but I don't see a shot to the head. Watching the first video on this you can his hand is below the chin and elbow is below his hand. Also another point for my arguement is if someone is skating across and gets you with a clear elbow to the head your head would make a jerking motion back. There was no such motion

Yes there was...

Greenday4537
10-31-2014, 08:39 PM
This is absolutely disgraceful. Clear targeting of the head. No place in the game for this garbage.

stinkyapuzzo
11-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Just don't see it. I took a pick up it in slow motion elbow is not even slightly close to head. Clearly elbow was down in chest area. Look at the video posted on the fist post that auto plays. Players head was down John Moore lowered elbow hit him in the chest. Of course player is going to go down since it was on open ice. If they don't like open ice hits they should just take them out

Pete
11-01-2014, 05:40 PM
So every single person at DPS got it wrong?

And Moore apologized for a clean hit?

stinkyapuzzo
11-01-2014, 06:01 PM
Just to be clean what part of John Moore do you believe struck his head and I'll show you a close up pic of the contact made and we can see for yourself

stinkyapuzzo
11-01-2014, 06:06 PM
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p189/apuzzo1023/imagejpg1_zps5f8209b5.jpg (http://s128.photobucket.com/user/apuzzo1023/media/imagejpg1_zps5f8209b5.jpg.html)

stinkyapuzzo
11-01-2014, 06:11 PM
There we go knees bent elbow down not sure what else he could have done except not hit him at all. On a side note I think kreiders hit was a lot more dangerous the hit from behind

Pete
11-01-2014, 07:34 PM
So why did Moore apologize?

stinkyapuzzo
11-01-2014, 08:24 PM
Because he is a professional athlete. Don't think he had a choice in the matter.

Pete
11-01-2014, 08:30 PM
Of course he did. He elbowed a guy in the head and apologized and was suspended for it.

stinkyapuzzo
11-01-2014, 08:56 PM
Just curious what is your opinion on the Alexei Evelin hit on Johnny oduya on October 1st. That was determined to be a legal hit.

stinkyapuzzo
11-01-2014, 09:16 PM
I suggest watching the player safety video though if you are so sure your right. You mention he elbowed him in the head where I showed you a picture where the elbow was in his chest. Not to mention the fact the player safety video clearly says he was eligible for a hit, he kept his elbow down saying it was the shoulder and that is what I disagree with. You claim you see an elbow to the head and I'm just saying that is one thing that is clear it was not an elbow.

Pete
11-02-2014, 10:33 AM
It was a head shot. Who cares? You're going out of your way to there was no head contact, but everyone acknowledged there was, including Moore. Let it go.

Ranger Lothbrok
11-02-2014, 02:06 PM
Regardless of whether or not full contact was made with Haula's head, even as a Ranger fan I was screaming for the NHL to crack down hard on him. I don't remember if it was last year (or maybe the year before), but in the first two months star players were dropping like flies due to concussions. I remember Claude Giroux was one of the victims, but he returned after like a week or two (which shocked everyone). But there was a huge discussion about it at the time, where everyone was saying the NHL really needed to come down hard.

I agree with an idea someone had at the time: minimum 5-10 games depending on severity and inferred intent (were they looking, did they try to avoid it, did they beeline across the ice for the guy, etc.), and if the injured player is out longer than that, the suspension continues until the injured player returns. You wanna use one of your 4th liners or low-pairing d-men to take out another team's stud? Fine, but don't expect to have them back until the other team is made whole once again.

There really needs to be more respect between players like there used to be. I know the game overall has gotten somewhat pussified, but while the overall toughness and grit game has decreased, I'd argue that the dirty game has increased tenfold. Cheap shots, boarding, elbows, knee-on-knee, slew foots, head shots, etc.. Hell, even spitting and biting are a part of that.

I'm glad Moore got at least 5. In my opinion, if you really want to deter these types of plays, it should be even more extreme than that. But even as a Rangers fan, with glasses so blue-colored my entire life looks like it's at the bottom of the seas, I wanted him to have the book thrown at him.

torontonyr
11-02-2014, 02:23 PM
You can apologize for injuring someone. I know a ton of athletes are driven, self-confident people who always put themselves first, but there are those in the ranks who are sensitive and actually feel bad for any damage caused - no matter on the intention.

Pete
11-02-2014, 02:34 PM
You can. But he's not.

“I think the only thing for me to do is … move forward from here. Certainly I’m never trying to intentionally injure someone. I’m trying to go through the body there. It’s a really tough hit to make, it’s a fast play, and I need to be physical but there’s also that line, and there I crossed it.

“I never intentionally mean to hurt anyone,” Moore repeated. “I respect my opponents. It’s a privilege to play in this league. I’ve just got to be smarter. I crossed the line there.”

phillyb™
11-02-2014, 04:38 PM
how do i mark this thread as read?