PDA

View Full Version : Recalled/Assigned: Jesper Fast and J.T. Miller to HFD; Chris Mueller to NYR

EdMc28
10-17-2014, 02:30 PM
:tweet: @PLeonardNYDN 17m 17 minutes ago

#NYR have sent JT Miller & Jesper Fast to Hartford and recalled center Chris Mueller (should be Brassard, Hayes, Moore, Mueller at centers)

Thump23
10-17-2014, 02:37 PM
I wonder who Mueller will skate with, Hagelin and Stemp?

SaveByRichter35
10-17-2014, 03:04 PM
Lol, poor JT.

Myusername
10-17-2014, 03:04 PM
Ouch for Miller

Dunny
10-17-2014, 03:05 PM
Crazy. Chris Mueller is about the floor of whT Miller would be if he completely shits the bed developmentally.

AmericanJesus
10-17-2014, 03:07 PM
So Miller will go down, score at a point per game clip, then get called up at some point for fourth line left wing duty.

I don't get it. Move him for assets at this point. Maybe package him with McIlrath and try to get a first rounder back for this year.

AmericanJesus
10-17-2014, 03:14 PM
Also, wonder which winger sits. If Scott in lineup Sunday we will need Glass.

Thump23
10-17-2014, 03:15 PM
Miller is only 21, why the rush to get rid of him? He'll get another shot this year and worst case scenario, there's spots to be won next year.

Dunny
10-17-2014, 03:24 PM
Well, to me it's evident from the FO's lack of finding a Centerman this summer that they were banking on some return from Miller. That's a huge problem because we simply don't have the cover for him even when Stepan returns.

Pete
10-17-2014, 03:31 PM
Miller is only 21, why the rush to get rid of him? He'll get another shot this year and worst case scenario, there's spots to be won next year.

AV is here for 4 more years. There are a few things happening...His development is being stunted and it's a waste of him as a pick. Get something for him now because it doesn't look like the way AV treats him is going to change.

Thump23
10-17-2014, 03:37 PM
AV is here for 4 more years. There are a few things happening...His development is being stunted and it's a waste of him as a pick. Get something for him now because it doesn't look like the way AV treats him is going to change.

I don't know how big of a rift there is between him and AV, how much of it is AV or how much of it is on Miller. I guess we have to wait to see how he responds to the demotion. I just wouldn't say AV's opinion of him won't ever change. A lot happens over the course of a season.

Pete
10-17-2014, 03:39 PM
I don't know how big of a rift there is between him and AV, how much of it is AV or how much of it is on Miller. I guess we have to wait to see how he responds to the demotion. I just wouldn't say AV's opinion of him won't ever change. A lot happens over the course of a season.

True. But all he did at the AHL level after getting sent down every time last year is be a P/G player. So unless they are telling him to learn something specific, he's "filler".

Thump23
10-17-2014, 03:47 PM
True. But all he did at the AHL level after getting sent down every time last year is be a P/G player. So unless they are telling him to learn something specific, he's "filler".

For one, I'd like to see him improve on faceoffs and play with a bit more poise in the defensive zone. Other than that, I agree with you.

I guess the real question is, was AV not patient enough or did Miller not do enough with the opportunity (3rd line center coming into camp) he was given.

cousin
10-17-2014, 03:48 PM
I like Miller and as it was stated he's only 21. Got to trust the coach here.

Slobberknocker
10-17-2014, 05:52 PM
Remember Youngblood where rob Lowe was boinking the coaches daughter. Granted JT doesn't look like rob but who knows. Jk

I'm sorta more worried about what we have not seen from fast tbh

From these moves though looks like mal is still the first line center tmrw

torontonyr
10-17-2014, 05:58 PM
Mueller is a good fit for the 4th line - this makes sense.

NYR2711
10-17-2014, 07:06 PM
This honestly doesn't surprise me. Miller wasn't really playing impressively to me. I kind of liked Fasts game, but I guess he was also a casualty at this time.

The Dude
10-17-2014, 07:33 PM
Is there some off ice Delzotto type stuff going on with Miller? Weve seen much more patience with older players taken off scrap heaps, yhan we have with Miller and in the past with Delzotto.

I think Miller can be a real decent player if given the leeway guys like Pyatt and Pouliot were given. This one bad shift and your chance is up crap bothers me. Hopefully Miller bpunces back like Kreider did and he cant be denied the jobs that are open.

Kevin
10-17-2014, 07:52 PM
I liked some of what Mueller brought during the pre-season. Was definitely noticeable. And this effectively ends St. Louis playing center again.

FleshistheFever
10-17-2014, 07:59 PM
Miller's mental breakdowns and minor mistakes cost him a permanent position with this roster. He makes some real heady plays and then shits the bed with some real bad plays. Kids got the tools but desperately needs to work on fundamental consistency. It'll eventually all come together.

NYR2711
10-17-2014, 08:18 PM
Miller's problem isn't 1 bad shift. He has 1 bad shift, and it just spirals out of control on the rest of his shifts. To me, seems like a serious confidence issue.

Pete
10-17-2014, 08:19 PM
Miller's problem isn't 1 bad shift. He has 1 bad shift, and it just spirals out of control on the rest of his shifts. To me, seems like a serious confidence issue.

Maybe because he thinks the 1 bad shift gets him sent to the AHL.

Lt. Dan
10-17-2014, 08:25 PM
Not even 10 games in and he gets sent down. Kid's confidence is probably shot to shit at this point.

NYR2711
10-17-2014, 08:28 PM
Maybe because he thinks the 1 bad shift gets him sent to the AHL.

But he should know that if he can't get past 1 bad shift and correct it, he's gonna gent sent down regardless. Rookies make mistakes, and I'm fine with that, but he doesn't correct them, it's like he panics, and he needs to get over that if he wants to play in the NHL.

Respecttheblue
10-17-2014, 10:18 PM
So Miller will go down, score at a point per game clip, then get called up at some point for fourth line left wing duty.

I don't get it. Move him for assets at this point. Maybe package him with McIlrath and try to get a first rounder back for this year.

I could be wrong about this, and I don't mind being wrong, but I see it a bit differently, and I have a question, too.

Kreider, though obviously more talented, received similar hard nosed+Hartford shuttle treatment last year, and some folk were doing the same thing, calling for a trade while he still has value.

I was a lot more dumbfounded by that than this, but I think a similar thing is going on, even if Miller is not a blue-chip prospect.

In the Rangers' world this could very easily be what they call "going through the process."

And in this case, they have also have Mueller, a quasi project with a little NHL experience they spent a few bucks on, who they at some point would probably want to look at on the NHL level to see what he can offer — before they pose or dis-pose of him as they see fit. Right now, maybe, AV and the team think it's time to find out whether they can depend on Mueller as a fill in, or even, shock horror, a permanent or injury replacement for someone, if push came to shove.

Also, they have two rookies up who they have to make different kinds of decisions on; Duclair and Hayes.

As much as I dig him, I have to think Hayes, like every college guy who has come here, will probably get his time in Hartford too. Duclair, for all the promise might also be a question mark to the team as to whether he can sustain what he's shown so far. It's one thing to be brilliant, it's another to be able to sustain NHL-contender level play as a rookie over 82 games + playoffs.

I suspect Miller will get his next dose of process and seasoning, but maybe you're right and the fit isn't there, I don't knowbut what I'm really curious what people think are the flaws in his game — or his head — how truly serious they are, and whether you guys think they are fixable? So far it seems like it's consistency and confidence. One might think that's something that could be handled?

Pete
10-17-2014, 10:34 PM
No one called to trade Kreider last year.

Some people were OK trading him for Nash. Had nothing to do with developmental issues.

TwoMinutesForNothing
10-18-2014, 03:03 AM
He goes to the AHL and puts a point per game by playing a game down there that he isn't capable of playing in the NHL. He holds the puck and makes everything run through him for his whole line. He dominates due to the lesser competition. Then he comes up and looks foolish because he can't play that game against NHLer's. He's caught in the middle. He's taking the approach that AHL lifers take. He needs to adjust his game while he's in the AHL, but he never does, he takes the easy road just to put up points. He just continues to go through the same cycle.

As for his turnovers, it's not simply about him giving the puck away himself. If you aren't in the right place during offensive possessions or don't know how to find the open areas then you will cause your linemates to lose the puck as well because they have nowhere to go with it. Hockey sense is an issue for him, in both ends. He's running out of time and it would be much better to move him now than to wait until his value is diminished by AV the same way Del Zotto's was. It's on the coach for not letting him develop at the AHL and it's on the player for all of the mistakes and the stubborn approach in the minors. It's just a situation that seems very unlikely to ever work here.

Pete
10-18-2014, 07:38 AM
He's not running out of time. He hasn't played 60 NHL games yet.

Valriera
10-18-2014, 08:40 AM
I think you've got to move Miller at this point. If he's not making the team when Stepan is out of the lineup, when our team is already weak at his position, he's not making the team any other time. He's got value, so move him for someone with more consistency in the role we need him to play. He's just not that good.

Pete
10-18-2014, 09:01 AM
He's 21 for Christ's sake. Talk about short sighed.

Dunny
10-18-2014, 09:49 AM
21 is the new 24.

torontonyr
10-18-2014, 11:47 AM
21 is the new 24.

More like 21 is the new 19.

Bretzky
10-18-2014, 02:25 PM
Miller is certainly not done developing.

However, it is becoming more and more apparent that the coaching staff LOVES Kevin Hayes and seem to think his future in the NHL is at center (although they haven't really had the option / luxury of trying him at wing yet because of Stepan's injury). It seems that Hayes (who is a year older than Miller) has leapfrogged JT in terms of development / NHL-readiness. While still raw himself, Hayes' size and reach are unteachable, and his patience and playmaking ability are beyond his years.

Because of that, I feel that JT Miller may become a very tradeable asset at some point down the road this season. I'm not saying we should trade him, or that we should be looking to trade him, but losing JT Miller in a package to improve the team at another position becomes a lot easier to swallow with Kevin Hayes in the fold now.

I do think JT's game ultimately translates better to the wing. I see him as a smarter Dubinsky-type player once he adjusts to the pace of the NHL game. He hasn't even played a full NHL season yet. All this move says is that the coaching staff would rather Miller and Fast be playing top-line minutes every other night in the AHL than sitting in the press box as healthy scratches in the NHL. That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Chris Mueller is someone they would much rather keep as a healthy scratch / 13th forward, as he's not likely to be a part of any long-term plans, and he's what? 8 years older than Miller and Fast anyway? Mueller also plays a different game to JT, and again, if he does play, the coaching staff would be fine with playing Mueller 8 ES minutes per game on the fourth line: something they would not want to do with JT Miller, at the risk of stagnating his overall development.

NYR2711
10-18-2014, 02:33 PM
Before he is moved, I would rather see what he can do at wing on this team. Problem is that Duclair has passed him on the wing depth chart. I wouldnt deny a trade because of him, but I wouldnt just move him to move him, yet. He needs to get his confidence playing where at the NHL level. He has the potential, but he has to get the opportunity to showcase it a little more, and he needs to take more advantage of the opportunities he is given.

The Dude
10-18-2014, 04:27 PM
I just dont agree with all this talk about how he keeps making the same mistakes in one game, or in others. Does he give away the puck at times? Sure. I dont see the same mistakes though. I think he handles the puck well at a fast pace and can drive to the net that way. I think thats his best asset, and moving him to wing will take away from that, much like it did to Dubinsky.

At the start of camp all we heard from Kreider and MSL about what they talk to the younger players about, is to play THEIRgame and do what they do best, and NOT change, because what they do best is why they were drafted. Miller NOT using his speed and taking chances would go against what he does best.

I think AV has a short leash for Miller. Too short. I dont know if its personal, or if he just cant devote the time and patience to let him develop on his watch. Oddly, he will for Hayes, who I myself am not seeing all the hype about so far.

I would rather give Miller an actual chance than trade him, but it doesn't look like that will ever happen. No matter what. So i guess you gotta trade him. Not sure what hes worth, just see that hes not in AV's plans. Sell high while you can?

AmericanJesus
10-18-2014, 07:01 PM
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/comments/new_lines_at_practice_hayes_like_kid_in_candy_stor e/

“I see a possible future where he might be a centerman,” Vigneault said. “He’s comfortable on the wing, I’d like to see him in the minors in the middle, see how he does. On our team right now, that’s a place right now where there’s availability. J.T. has got a tremendous amount of upside. His overall attitude and the way he behaved this year was so professional. I talked to him yesterday about what we were doing. He knows. He’s going to go down and work hard and when we need him, he’ll be able to help us.”

Bretzky
10-18-2014, 07:40 PM
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/comments/new_lines_at_practice_hayes_like_kid_in_candy_stor e/

Sounds great. I expected nothing less, though.

Thanks for posting that AJ.

TwoMinutesForNothing
10-18-2014, 10:44 PM
He's not running out of time. He hasn't played 60 NHL games yet.

I didn't mean out of time in his overall development, I meant out of time in this organization with this coach.

!br-avery!
10-18-2014, 11:13 PM
Mueller seems like a good fit for the 4th line

Phil in Absentia
10-18-2014, 11:31 PM
:tweet: @stevezipay: J.T. Miller scored game winner in Pack's 2-1 defeat of Portland....

momentum
10-19-2014, 06:01 AM
Maybe because he thinks the 1 bad shift gets him sent to the AHL.This, he's the new Kreider, let's hope he's resilient and doesn't lose all his confidence permanently.