PDA

View Full Version : Rumor/Report: AV Calls Out Staal, Girardi and McDonagh

fletch
10-15-2014, 07:59 PM
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/15/ranger-rousing-av-calls-out-staal-girardi-and-mcdonagh/

AV says #NYR are committing "way too many turnovers" and says his veteran defensemen "need to play better"

AV says D-men not performing up to standings. Says Marc Staal not the Staal he saw in playoffs but same could be said about McD and G.

Vigneault not shy about saying just now that Staal, McDonagh, Girardi all have to be better, in addition to depth defense issues #NYR

So Nashty
10-15-2014, 08:46 PM
Maybe he reads the forum too?

phillyb™
10-15-2014, 08:46 PM
well...
sure.
wonder if he talked to them individually before "calling them out"

i didn't understand this part of the article...

But with that in mind, Staal — who was paired with Kostka last night — wasn’t the only blueliner making mistakes.

“We made a couple of mistakes with the puck and the puck was in our net,” he explained, per the New York Post (http://nypost.com/2014/10/15/struggling-rangers-failing-to-respond-when-adversity-strikes/). “But they weren’t little mistakes; they were big mistakes, and then it just snowballed from there.”

who the fuck said that?
staal? kostka?
actually, if you click on the link to the embedded article "The most troubling trend from Rangers' tough start" it looks like girardi might have made that quote.
either way...d needs to be better.
goaltending needs to be better.
some of our "top guys" need to get it going.

RichieNextel305
10-16-2014, 12:54 AM
As sad as it sounds, I'm glad it's guys like McDonagh making the mistakes right now instead of others, because it represents a star player still trying to get his legs underneath him at the beginning of a long season instead of a glaring hole.

I'm not worried. Ryan McDonagh, and Girardi and Staal, are all extremely solid defensemen in this league. Our defense is our strength, and isn't a liability generally speaking. Obviously right now, the 3 of them are not playing up to par. But, history leads me to believe that will change quickly, and those 3 will again anchor one of the NHL's very best defensive units.

You get that clicking, and this team will be fine.

Pete
10-16-2014, 06:29 AM
I thought Hunwick was the glaring weakness?

Valriera
10-16-2014, 07:34 AM
I mean, sure everyone can always play better, but Kostka was single handedly to blame for the two game losing turnovers last night. If he doesn't have assists on both goals then we don't lose the game. You can make the argument that the team should have gotten it together after that but they're only human, and if a teammate of mine delivered two goals against us in less than 5 minutes, you'd be damn right to be pissed off and go on tilt. Not sure how much of this is legitimate.

Pete
10-16-2014, 08:30 AM
TEAMS don't single out players like that.

Vodka Drunkenski
10-16-2014, 08:55 AM
I mean, sure everyone can always play better, but Kostka was single handedly to blame for the two game losing turnovers last night. If he doesn't have assists on both goals then we don't lose the game. You can make the argument that the team should have gotten it together after that but they're only human, and if a teammate of mine delivered two goals against us in less than 5 minutes, you'd be damn right to be pissed off and go on tilt. Not sure how much of this is legitimate.

Glad I never played on one of your teams. You will lose a lot of "teammates" with that attitude. Instead of getting pissed, I would try to help him through it if I can.

Mike
10-16-2014, 09:16 AM
Not sure why he wasn't benched after the first one. That's shit you learn in squirts, and start to get benched for in peewees. It all looks bad though. Break outs, and regrouping have been poorly executed by everyone.

H-Dreamer
10-16-2014, 09:25 AM
I thought Hunwick was the glaring weakness?

For now wouldn't it be easier to count the guys that are our strength?

Pete
10-16-2014, 09:26 AM
For now wouldn't it be easier to count the guys that are our strength?

Not sure what your point is.

Slobberknocker
10-16-2014, 09:39 AM
i have heard sound bites from players who have played in the finals and essentially said it took 4-6 weeks to get their legs back under them at the start of the new season. makes sense when you figure a team that didnt make the playoffs essentially had another 5-6 weeks off.

so i think if you take that into account, plus the 2 key injuries, plus the addition of the youth and figuring out what works line combo wise and there is your story.

that being said i don't expect them to suck root the next month but do expect some bumps along the way.

Myusername
10-16-2014, 10:54 AM
Yeah, kind of unrealistic to expect them to continue right where they left off. Lost some key guys and like you said, the players had 4-6 less weeks of rest. Not an excuse, but reality.

I think this team will be really fun to watch in a month or two once the D solidifies and the youngsters get some games behind them. We are still one of the fastest teams in the league. At least half of the goals scored against us thus far were pretty avoidable. Just don't keep making the same mistakes and we'll be fine

H-Dreamer
10-16-2014, 10:55 AM
Not sure what your point is.

Sorry, I tried putting it together for a while now, but can't seem to find the words to really explain it.

Anyway, sounds like we have 3 Defensemen that are in a bit of a slump and another 4 we'd rather not play on their best day. Great. (at least that's what I get from the Board)

Pete
10-16-2014, 12:31 PM
Sorry, I tried putting it together for a while now, but can't seem to find the words to really explain it.

Anyway, sounds like we have 3 Defensemen that are in a bit of a slump and another 4 we'd rather not play on their best day. Great. (at least that's what I get from the Board)

Gotcha.

Was simply mentioning Hunwick because he seems to have been "identified" as an issue, along with some other 3rd and 4th liners...Those guys were all sat against TO and we still got our doors blown off.

Fact is, it's the big names/top line guys getting the most minutes who haven't performed well enough (Nash aside).

Mike
10-16-2014, 01:59 PM
Yeah, kind of unrealistic to expect them to continue right where they left off. Lost some key guys and like you said, the players had 4-6 less weeks of rest. Not an excuse, but reality.

I think this team will be really fun to watch in a month or two once the D solidifies and the youngsters get some games behind them. We are still one of the fastest teams in the league. At least half of the goals scored against us thus far were pretty avoidable. Just don't keep making the same mistakes and we'll be fine

Habs, Hawks, and Kings seem to doing ok.

H-Dreamer
10-16-2014, 07:14 PM
Gotcha.

Was simply mentioning Hunwick because he seems to have been "identified" as an issue, along with some other 3rd and 4th liners...Those guys were all sat against TO and we still got our doors blown off.

Fact is, it's the big names/top line guys getting the most minutes who haven't performed well enough (Nash aside).

I think the biggest concern so far is, that they always implode at some point, when adversity strikes. Otherwise it wouldn't be that bad.

Ba Ba Bluey
10-17-2014, 09:10 AM
Is it too early for the "McD is struggling because of the C" talk?

Yea, I thought so.

cousin
10-28-2014, 01:15 PM
He should talk to staal as well. These guys have been bad. I hope the C was not too much for McD to handle. They need to get another Klein via trade soon.

Slobberknocker
10-28-2014, 03:33 PM
I posted in another thread i though the C should have went to MSL this year to allow Mac to concentrate on raising his O game to another level.

That being said I dont think that's the reason hes struggled. I just think he's started off a bit on the slow side. It's not only him either. Staal sure has a funny way of playing for a contract. I'd really expect him to over achieve this year.

Pete
10-28-2014, 03:35 PM
I posted in another thread i though the C should have went to MSL this year to allow Mac to concentrate on raising his O game to another level.

That being said I dont think that's the reason hes struggled. I just think he's started off a bit on the slow side. It's not only him either. Staal sure has a funny way of playing for a contract. I'd really expect him to over achieve this year.

Maybe Lundy told him the way to get a fat paycheck is to suck, blame it on your contract situation, then they throw money at you and you can play better.

:D

cousin
10-28-2014, 06:48 PM

That being said I dont think that's the reason hes struggled. I just think he's started off a bit on the slow side. It's not only him either. Staal sure has a funny way of playing for a contract. I'd really expect him to over achieve this year.I know. I made the case after boyle went down that staal's price wuld rise as a result. He's sinking like a rock. Still early, hope they get going.

Morphinity
10-28-2014, 06:53 PM
I really hope they don't sign Staal.

Dunny
10-28-2014, 06:56 PM
Don't? We're dressing 2 of John Moore, Matt Hunwick and Mike Kostka every night. We have basically zero actual legitimate defense prospects.

Pete
10-28-2014, 06:56 PM
He always starts slow.