PDA

View Full Version : 2014–2015 Reports from the Rink

Pages : [1] 2 3

Phil in Absentia
10-10-2014, 12:56 PM
All daily practice updates go here. Anyone can feel free to update, but we ask that quick replies in the thread should be left to respond to existing daily reports, but new daily reports should be posted in the advanced post function with a date added as the subject.

Thanks.

Phil in Absentia
10-10-2014, 12:57 PM
:tweet: @AGrossRecord: #NYR practice D-pairs: McDonagh-Girardi Staal-Klein JMoore-Hunwick. Looks like Kostka is extra D.

:tweet: @NYRangers: John Moore now back to natural left side and Matt Hunwick pairs on the right at #NYR practice in Columbus

Cash or Czech?
10-10-2014, 01:19 PM
That's a scary-weak 3rd pairing.

So Nashty
10-10-2014, 01:21 PM
Hoping for a pleasant surprise from one of these guys because I'm not sold on any of them. Moore has not improved since the Rangers aquired him sans that one stretch where he looked decent last season.

Slobberknocker
10-10-2014, 01:44 PM
i've been one to constantly show Staal the door around here. In retrospect maybe that thought process should be given some more thought.

Im very interested in watching these low end guys closer while boyle heals up.

EdMc28
10-10-2014, 02:39 PM
:tweet: @stevezipay 8m8 minutes ago

Cam Talbot will start here in Columbus Saturday. Lundqvist back Sunday

:tweet: @AGrossRecord 7m7 minutes ago

Tanner Glass (back) will be a game time decision. If he can't play Kevin Hayes likely to.

:tweet: @AGrossRecord 6m6 minutes ago

AV said he's talked to Ryan Malone and told veteran wing right now he doesn't see how Malone fits into picture. That can change quickly tho.

Captain Clutch
10-10-2014, 02:42 PM
Even though Stempniak played well last night i still feel Malone would be a better fit.

And in regards to the 3rd pairing, I feel like the Rangers have had weak 3rd pairings often through the past few years, i don't think it will affect the team too much. Honestly, even when klein was on that 3rd pairing it was weakened greatly by how moore played last night.

Cash or Czech?
10-10-2014, 03:54 PM
Malone is too slow to play with Miller and Duclair. He'd get left behind.

JOHN
10-10-2014, 04:47 PM
It's hard to make a case for Malone when you have Hayes and Fast, Glass and Stempniak all look like natural fits. He's old, slow and a liability comparatively. I think he's actually a good fit with Miller, but not when Duclair is on the other side.

Winter
10-10-2014, 04:52 PM
I was expecting to see Fast out with that puck to the arm and here Boyle has a broken hand and Glass is GTD

Phil in Absentia
10-10-2014, 04:55 PM
It's hard to make a case for Malone when you have Hayes and Fast, Glass and Stempniak all look like natural fits. He's old, slow and a liability comparatively. I think he's actually a good fit with Miller, but not when Duclair is on the other side.

AV seems to agree.

“I had a good conversation with Ryan,” Vigneault said. “I liked his training camp but I’m not quite sure where he fits in with the team picture right now. We all know a lot of stuff happens in a season. At this time, that’s where he’s situated and we’ll see how it unfolds.”

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/practice_report_talbot_to_start_in_columbus_new_pp _look_and_maybe_lineup_too/

Pete
10-10-2014, 05:11 PM
I actually think that's pretty stupid to say, and a good way to alienate a player.

Why not just say that this is the top 12 you're going with right now, and that might change, and it isn't a reflection on him, per se. Saying you don't know where he fits on the roster seems to have more of a longer-term connotation. "If he doesn't fit now, will he ever?" type thing.

I haven't disagreed with a whole lot of things AV has done, but I do disagree with some things he says.

Ba Ba Bluey
10-10-2014, 05:23 PM
I actually think that's pretty stupid to say, and a good way to alienate a player.

Why not just say that this is the top 12 you're going with right now, and that might change, and it isn't a reflection on him, per se. Saying you don't know where he fits on the roster seems to have more of a longer-term connotation. "If he doesn't fit now, will he ever?" type thing.

I haven't disagreed with a whole lot of things AV has done, but I do disagree with some things he says.

I agree...That's never a good thing to hear as a player.

I actually think Malone's size will be needed as the season goes on. I can see this team getting pushed around some nights.

Kevin
10-10-2014, 05:56 PM

It does seem like an odd choice of words. I read that and felt that Malone was going to be gone soon. Not sure why they kept him around if he doesn't fit the system that the coach uses.

FleshistheFever
10-10-2014, 07:57 PM

Good point but he's not going to give you the whole conversation he had with Malone either. If he had a "good conversation" with him then obviously they both understand the direction the team is going and where they both stand on fitting him into the lineup. He gave it to the media in a nutshell. I dont think it should be taken too literally.

torontonyr
10-10-2014, 08:14 PM
Personally, I'd go with Malone over Fast. While he is slower and obviously older, he brings a presence to that speedy fourth line with Dom & Glass that Fast simply does not.

RichieNextel305
10-10-2014, 09:09 PM
I think when all is said and done, Malone will be a big part of this team by the end of the year. I don't think he'll be the Ryan Malone of old. But, I definitely think he can bring something of value to the table.

I'll make a prediction here: Fast will eventually get sent down, Malone will step in on the 4th line with Moore and Glass to add some scoring touch and more of a physical presence.

BlueJay
10-10-2014, 10:46 PM
I think when all is said and done, Malone will be a big part of this team by the end of the year. I don't think he'll be the Ryan Malone of old. But, I definitely think he can bring something of value to the table.

I'll make a prediction here: Fast will eventually get sent down, Malone will step in on the 4th line with Moore and Glass to add some scoring touch and more of a physical presence.

I'm gonna second this, I honestly see this happening.

Vodka Drunkenski
10-11-2014, 05:38 AM
It's not that much of a bold prediction and can easily happen

JOHN
10-11-2014, 04:40 PM
That's a scary-weak 3rd pairing.

I think John Moore back on his natural side will be a good thing. Everyone said it early last year, but taking him out of his natural position is hard to argue for at this stage of his career, and I think that's proven to be the case so far. I'm inclined to think he won't have as bad a night, just because he should be more comfortable on that side.

Good thing this isn't the bold predictions thread. ;)

torontonyr
10-11-2014, 05:17 PM

Agreed - in fact, I think it's inevitable.

Pete
10-11-2014, 06:08 PM
I think John Moore back on his natural side will be a good thing. Everyone said it early last year, but taking him out of his natural position is hard to argue for at this stage of his career, and I think that's proven to be the case so far. I'm inclined to think he won't have as bad a night, just because he should be more comfortable on that side.

Moore has been on the left since DZ was traded. That IS his natural side.

JOHN
10-11-2014, 06:40 PM
Moore has been on the left since DZ was traded. That IS his natural side.

I thought he was right last year for most of the year. If not, then I'm just grasping at straws and hoping J.Moore can't get any worse.

Pete
10-11-2014, 06:41 PM
I thought he was right last year for most of the year. If not, then I'm just grasping at straws and hoping J.Moore can't get any worse.

Haha.

Nope Moore was a LHD, Klein RHD.

The Dude
10-13-2014, 10:25 PM
Really not a good thing to say about Malone. Every word of it. Not a fit? Dude OWNED in pre season and is a huge net presence. Obviously the most logical choice beside Kreider to stick with Brassard and Zucs. Speed isnt everything. I hate how people hold such things against players. Hockey sense, size and ability go a lot further in this game than speed. Malone fits more than Fast and even Hayes. Not getting how the coach can say that. His size and ability in front of the net is SORELY needed, and is a big aspect this team lacks and always has lacked.

And to word it that way to the media? Horrible choice of words by the coach.

Cash or Czech?
10-13-2014, 11:14 PM
Richards was bought out (aside from financial reasons) because he lacked the speed to keep up with this team. His instincts, hockey sense and skills are still there for the most part, but this is a fast team. And as Stempniak has showed us, the preseason means nothing. Malone didn't dominate against NHLers. He played well against kids and minor leaguers. He'll get his shot, but it'll probably be in an emergency because unless he's on the fourth line, he's not the best choice for this lineup.

TwoMinutesForNothing
10-13-2014, 11:43 PM
What does Glass do that Malone doesn't? Malone said in training camp he's willing to be the guy to drop the gloves for us if that's what we want.

I really wanted to support Glass and kept an open mind about him, but I've seen enough. He just cuts the puck to pieces out there. I get why his CORSI is atrocious now. He can't control it for his life and he whenever he tries to clear the zone he just flings it towards the blueline and crosses his fingers. There is no way to justify him in the lineup over Malone. Malone does everything he does better and does more. He would be huge for our PP.

Pete
10-14-2014, 06:03 AM
Glass is a better skater and kills penalties. I have nothing against Malone but it's hard to say he's a "better" choice than Glass. It's like saying Pepsi is better than Coke. Neither are good for you.

TwoMinutesForNothing
10-14-2014, 06:13 AM
Malone also kills penalties, however he can actually clear the puck when it comes to him while doing so.

Assets: Has impressive size and strength, which he uses effectively in front of the net and along the wall. Is accomplished in the defensive zone, kills penalties and provides plenty of leadership. Can play any forward position.

Flaws: Over time, injuries have started to pile up. Therefore, he's not the point producer he used to be. Always tends to run hot and cold in the scoring department. Off-ice issues have put a late damper on his career.

Career Potential: Veteran big forward with a defensive conscience.

There is a skating difference but it's not that huge and is basically negated by the puck skills.

Pete
10-14-2014, 07:17 AM
End of day, Glass isn't the issue. If Malone dresses we still lose both games, IMO.

Vodka Drunkenski
10-14-2014, 07:18 AM
Agreed, one player wasn't going to make a difference. It was a collective thing

TwoMinutesForNothing
10-14-2014, 08:12 AM
Yeah I agree with that. I just was bringing up Glass because I view Malone as a player for the same role with a superior skill set. The change would improve the lineup. I think Hunwick, Glass, and Miller have all been glaring weak spots for us thus far, with J Moore and Fast not being much better.

Pete
10-14-2014, 08:32 AM
Girardi and McD are both pointless and -3. MSL has no goals. Zuke is pointless and -4 and Brassard has 1 goal. Hank has been weak.

I can't honestly see how a rookie 3rd line center, the 6/7 D and 4th liners have been a "glaring" weakness.

Not to say they are stellar, but they aren't what's glaring, IMO. And I don't even like most of those guys. We just have bigger issues right now.

The Dude
10-14-2014, 09:54 AM
Richards was bought out (aside from financial reasons) because he lacked the speed to keep up with this team. His instincts, hockey sense and skills are still there for the most part, but this is a fast team. And as Stempniak has showed us, the preseason means nothing. Malone didn't dominate against NHLers. He played well against kids and minor leaguers. He'll get his shot, but it'll probably be in an emergency because unless he's on the fourth line, he's not the best choice for this lineup.

Richards was bought out because he was playing like a 2nd line player getting paid superstar money. Hes still here if he made 4 mill a year. The guy produced pretty well for someone who is deemed "slow". And come on. The Hawks are a faster team than the Rangers, and they brought him in. Speed isnt the end all be all.

The Dude
10-14-2014, 09:59 AM
I play Malone in Hagelins spot though. Hes gotta be with Brassard and Zucc. Malone is closer to Pouliots style, than Hagelin is. That element is missing from that line, and its dragging the team down a little.

Kreider MSL Nash
Malone Brassard Zucc
Hagelin Hayes Duclair
Glass Moore Stempniak

Better

Vodka Drunkenski
10-14-2014, 10:09 AM
Richards wasn't playing like a second line center, more like 3rd or 4th line.

jjweimar
10-14-2014, 10:34 AM
Does anyone have any word on whether or not Nash's kid was born and if he'll be at the game. I remember he said in his intermission interview that it was much less likely he'd play Tuesday than having to miss the game on Sunday. Also any word on MZA?

Thump23
10-14-2014, 10:44 AM
Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord 10m10 minutes ago
#NYR morning skate lines: Duclair-MSL-Nash Kreider-Brassard-Stempniak Hagelin-Hayes-Zuccarello Malone-DMoore-Glass.

No Miller, no Fast.

TwoMinutesForNothing
10-14-2014, 11:08 AM
Nice. Three of the five players I identified above pulled for tonight. Obviously Moore can't come out and I feel like Glass is the new coach's pet and won't be coming out ever.

Myusername
10-14-2014, 11:19 AM
I'm worried about Miller. I know it's early, but not sure he really has the skillset necessary to produce at the NHL level. And he's a liability on defense. Going to be a struggle

I like Malone over Fast. Fast is decent but he provides no offense at this point.

Thump23
10-14-2014, 11:24 AM
I'm worried about Miller. I know it's early, but not sure he really has the skillset necessary to produce at the NHL level. And he's a liability on defense. Going to be a struggle

I like Malone over Fast. Fast is decent but he provides no offense at this point.

I think Miller clearly has the skill it's just his defensive zone coverage has been spotty. I think they should try him on the wing, less responsibility in his own zone.

TwoMinutesForNothing
10-14-2014, 11:26 AM
I've been saying for at least two years now, the kid has the skills, but not the head. It doesn't seem to be changing. Dubinsky had similar problems. He's Dubinsky with more talent and less hockey sense.

Pete
10-14-2014, 11:39 AM
Miller has played 59 sporadic games. Way too early for anyone to claim to have the book on him, or to give up on him.

Losing 2 games the way they did, we're bound to see changes. Swapping out 3rd/4th liners isn't going to change much. AV grasping at straws here.

The real problem is MSL at center and Brassard/Zuccarello contributing nothing.

Thump23
10-14-2014, 11:45 AM
Miller has played 59 sporadic games. Way too early for anyone to claim to have the book on him, or to give up on him.

Losing 2 games the way they did, we're bound to see changes. Swapping out 3rd/4th liners isn't going to change much. AV grasping at straws here.

I agree. Much too soon to make any kind of call on Miller. He has shifts where he looks terrific and shifts where he looks a little lost, nothing new with a young player. I think the coaches just need to simplify his game.

Dunny
10-14-2014, 11:46 AM
Yes, the real issue is up the middle. It's a wasteland.

Vodka Drunkenski
10-14-2014, 11:48 AM
I've been saying for at least two years now, the kid has the skills, but not the head. It doesn't seem to be changing. Dubinsky had similar problems. He's Dubinsky with more talent and less hockey sense.

Funny, I said he was a more talented Dubinsky the night he was drafted.

G1000
10-14-2014, 11:54 AM

To be fair - Zuccarello fought TJ Oshie and missed our last game.

Brassard needs to get going. Zucc too - but Zucc at least made himself visible and viable.

Pete
10-14-2014, 12:02 PM
To be fair - Zuccarello fought TJ Oshie and missed our last game.

Brassard needs to get going. Zucc too - but Zucc at least made himself visible and viable.

I am being fair. He's -4 with 4 shots through 2 games. That's just not good enough. I don't care who he fought. That's not his job. He's getting noticed for the wrong reasons. Let's not make excuses for him. He and Brassard have been bad. It is what it is.

Cash or Czech?
10-14-2014, 12:06 PM
I think we see a little bit of regression from both Zuccarello and Brassard. Last year they played on the "third line" and were somewhat unknown quantities to opponents. Now the other team is aware of them and they're being branded as the "top line". It's a huge jump for 45-point players. This was Zuccarello's first full season in the NHL and he took advantage of it. Now they're the top players of this team and expected to contribute, when last year nobody expected that much of them. This team is a lot shallower offensively as well, so it could be a struggle. Or they can step up to the plate and become the go to guys. We're only three games in.

AmericanJesus
10-14-2014, 12:08 PM
The team seems to have very little chemistry yet, either among the forwards or the defense. They're also getting sub par goal tending. Perfect recipe for the spot they're in. There aren't really any answers right now, though. Chemistry will either happen or it won't. All AV can do is tinker with the lines and hope some combination clicks.

If this is going to happen, this is the time of year for it though. I'd rather have chemistry issues in October than February.

Thump23
10-14-2014, 12:09 PM
I think we see a little bit of regression from both Zuccarello and Brassard. Last year they played on the "third line" and were somewhat unknown quantities to opponents. Now the other team is aware of them and they're being branded as the "top line". It's a huge jump for 45-point players. This was Zuccarello's first full season in the NHL and he took advantage of it. Now they're the top players of this team and expected to contribute, when last year nobody expected that much of them. This team is a lot shallower offensively as well, so it could be a struggle. Or they can step up to the plate and become the go to guys. We're only three games in.

But they weren't towards the end of the season and in the playoffs. They played heavy minutes against other top lines. I'm sure those two will be fine. It's early. Maybe it's going to take some time finding the right guy to replace Pouilot.

Cash or Czech?
10-14-2014, 12:10 PM
But they weren't towards the end of the season and in the playoffs. They played heavy minutes against other top lines. I'm sure those two will be fine. It's early. Maybe it's going to take some time finding the right guy to replace Pouilot.

They also lost Pouliot and haven't found an adequate replacement yet. For what he was (a 35 point guy), he's a decent loss for that line.

Thump23
10-14-2014, 12:12 PM
They also lost Pouliot and haven't found an adequate replacement yet. For what he was (a 35 point guy), he's a decent loss for that line.

Looks that way. I still believe there's a guy on this roster that can replicate what Pouliot did last year, it just might take more than three games to sort it out. With any luck, the return of Stepan stabilizes the top 9.

Lt. Dan
10-14-2014, 12:21 PM

I think the kids got the skill. He just needs to simplify his game. He'll make a good play then try to do too much afterward. He could become a hell of checking forward to boot if he could just put it all together.

Cash or Czech?
10-14-2014, 01:28 PM
Looks that way. I still believe there's a guy on this roster that can replicate what Pouliot did last year, it just might take more than three games to sort it out. With any luck, the return of Stepan stabilizes the top 9.

We definitely need Stepan back. As for the guy that could actually replace Pouliout, IMO it's Kreider or Hayes. Both have size. Kreider is as fast (faster, really) than Brassard and Zucc and Hayes is no slouch of a skater either, and both of them have skill to be a good complement on that line. Whether it happens remains to be seen. Hagelin just isn't a fit there. He doesn't have the hands.

lefty9
10-14-2014, 01:39 PM
We definitely need Stepan back. As for the guy that could actually replace Pouliout, IMO it's Kreider or Hayes. Both have size. Kreider is as fast (faster, really) than Brassard and Zucc and Hayes is no slouch of a skater either, and both of them have skill to be a good complement on that line. Whether it happens remains to be seen. Hagelin just isn't a fit there. He doesn't have the hands.he doesn't need the hands , you have two other forwards with good hands, he lacks size, with hags there it becomes a small line

Pete
10-14-2014, 01:44 PM
he doesn't need the hands , you have two other forwards with good hands, he lacks size, with hags there it becomes a small line

Bingo. Pouliot and Hags both have the ability to hunt pucks, but what Pouliot brought that line was the ability to hold the puck, take a hit, and make a play. Brassard and Zuke benefitted from that extra time and space.

Hagelin is a waterbug, he gets to pucks first, but them gets rid of them too quickly to guys who are covered, or he just spins and goes back and forth behind the net, bumping into his own guys.

Pouliot got the puck, took the bump, gave it to a teammate and went to the front of the net. He was also way better on the wall than Hagelin is.

Thump23
10-14-2014, 02:07 PM
Bingo. Pouliot and Hags both have the ability to hunt pucks, but what Pouliot brought that line was the ability to hold the puck, take a hit, and make a play. Brassard and Zuke benefitted from that extra time and space.

Hagelin is a waterbug, he gets to pucks first, but them gets rid of them too quickly to guys who are covered, or he just spins and goes back and forth behind the net, bumping into his own guys.

Pouliot got the puck, took the bump, gave it to a teammate and went to the front of the net. He was also way better on the wall than Hagelin is.

The thing about Pouliot was, and it's more evident now, is that he thought the game the same way Brassard and Zuk do. Hagelin, not so much. Maybe it's just that they played together longer, I don't remember what those three were like when the first started playing together. Maybe Hagelin can pick up on some of their tendencies, maybe he won't. Kreider sure seems to be a better fit with those two than Hagelin does in theory.

Slobberknocker
10-14-2014, 03:47 PM
clearly things are a work in progress. might not be settled until we get steps back and kried's drops done to that line.

The Dude
10-14-2014, 04:49 PM
Richards wasn't playing like a second line center, more like 3rd or 4th line.

Towards the end of the season maybe. He bounced back IMO and had a good year. Not up to the level of his contract.

Pete
10-14-2014, 04:49 PM
Richards could have scored 100 points last year, they weren't going to keep him. They simply didn't have the cap room.

MacTruck
10-14-2014, 05:01 PM
I'm really curious to see who is still on this roster when Stepan returns.

Hagelin, Nash, Kreider, Zuccarello and St. Louis are locks at wing. That leaves the top 9 wing spot battle between Duclair and Stempniak. If they keep Duclair, I imagine Stempniak goes to the 4th and we have a battle between Malone, Fast and Glass.

Either Miller or Hayes is going to be the 3rd line center. I doubt Marty stays there. One will be sent down.

My guess?

Duclair - Stepan - Nash
Kreider - Brassard - Zuccarello
Hagelin - Hayes - St. Louis
Glass - D. Moore - Stempniak

No Fast, No Hayes, No Malone

Dunny
10-14-2014, 05:27 PM
Boyle would have been an absolute lock as the 3C on this roster. I wish I knew what the real reason was for his departure.

Mike
10-14-2014, 05:27 PM
Holy shit. It's been 3 games. 10 at a time, please.

jjweimar
10-14-2014, 05:39 PM
I'm really curious to see who is still on this roster when Stepan returns.

Hagelin, Nash, Kreider, Zuccarello and St. Louis are locks at wing. That leaves the top 9 wing spot battle between Duclair and Stempniak. If they keep Duclair, I imagine Stempniak goes to the 4th and we have a battle between Malone, Fast and Glass.

Either Miller or Hayes is going to be the 3rd line center. I doubt Marty stays there. One will be sent down.

My guess?

Duclair - Stepan - Nash
Kreider - Brassard - Zuccarello
Hagelin - Hayes - St. Louis
Glass - D. Moore - Stempniak

No Miller, No Hayes, No Malone

I'm confused No Miller No Hayes No Malone but you have Hayes as third line Center? Sorry just asking

MacTruck
10-14-2014, 06:08 PM
meant No Fast, thanks for catching that.

The Dude
10-14-2014, 06:08 PM
Richards could have scored 100 points last year, they weren't going to keep him. They simply didn't have the cap room.

Exactly. Had nothing to do with his speed.

I think many over value or over rate speed.

Vodka Drunkenski
10-14-2014, 06:53 PM
Richards was a liability on the ice, let's not sugarcoat it

CCCP
10-15-2014, 12:09 PM
One day AV realizes that malone should be with zuc and brassard and all will be well in rangerland

CCCP
10-15-2014, 12:13 PM
Also, my prediction is that miller and fast are not sticking long term. Or fast kept as an extra

G1000
10-15-2014, 12:16 PM
One day AV realizes that malone should be with zuc and brassard and all will be well in rangerland

...why am I agreeing with Simon?

*shrug*

So Nashty
10-15-2014, 12:36 PM

I have been thinking that this is the most obvious line option within the roster. Malone can provide some of the size and style that Pouliot vacated. Can't believe it wasn't tried to begin with.

RichieNextel305
10-15-2014, 12:38 PM
Wish Zuccarello and Brassard would be reunited. That duo was huge for us last year, and I don't get why they're not together at the moment.

Pete
10-15-2014, 01:14 PM
Because they were abysmal. AV's trying some stuff out. It's early.

RichieNextel305
10-15-2014, 01:17 PM
Based on what? 2 games? They were dominant last year. They need to be put back together IMO.

Pete
10-15-2014, 01:45 PM
Yea, based on 2 games.

Half the fan base is making knee jerk reactions and trading 1/4 of the players and sending another 1/8 to the minors over a few games, but AV can't tweak a line after 2 games? Come on. It's a long season.

JOHN
10-15-2014, 02:46 PM
I think no matter what you're going to have to deal with line swaps and making it work for a while here. Stepan being out really changes the way we have to balance our lines and no matter what, something will be off until he returns.

RichieNextel305
10-15-2014, 02:58 PM
Yea, based on 2 games.

Half the fan base is making knee jerk reactions and trading 1/4 of the players and sending another 1/8 to the minors over a few games, but AV can't tweak a line after 2 games? Come on. It's a long season.

Well, I'm not one of the people making knee jerk reactions.

I just don't understand not playing 2 players who have known chemistry together.

Pete
10-15-2014, 03:04 PM
Well, I'm not one of the people making knee jerk reactions.

I just don't understand not playing 2 players who have known chemistry together.

Because like Chappie said, Stepan being out throws some stuff off, and they are looking for balance.

RichieNextel305
10-15-2014, 03:08 PM
I understand looking for balance, but does switching Zuccarello and Stempniak really kill one line? Walking into last night, Stempniak was with Brassard while Zuccarello was on the Hayes line. No need for that to not be flipped IMO.

Pete
10-15-2014, 03:11 PM
I understand looking for balance, but does switching Zuccarello and Stempniak really kill one line? Walking into last night, Stempniak was with Brassard while Zuccarello was on the Hayes line. No need for that to not be flipped IMO.

I don't really disagree, sure.

But this early when things look this bad, I don't disagree with trying everything, either.

RichieNextel305
10-15-2014, 03:15 PM
I guess.

I just look at it like that was your best line last year. Why abandon it? If you had to throw someone like St. Louis or Nash there to kind of balance everything out, fine. But there is known chemistry between Brassard and Zuccarello.

Stempniak, IMO, has been our best forward behind Nash thus far. But I don't think him moving from one line to another will change that. He's a diverse player who will do the same thing on line X has he would on line Y.

Pete
10-15-2014, 03:21 PM
I guess.

I just look at it like that was your best line last year. Why abandon it? If you had to throw someone like St. Louis or Nash there to kind of balance everything out, fine. But there is known chemistry between Brassard and Zuccarello.

Stempniak, IMO, has been our best forward behind Nash thus far. But I don't think him moving from one line to another will change that. He's a diverse player who will do the same thing on line X has he would on line Y.

I feel like Brassard and Zuke benefitted more from Pouliot that anyone will ever care to admit. He was the X factor there. Maybe AV wanted to see Zuke with Hayes because when Stepan comes back he sees that being a line?

I just think there are as many reasons to try it as not to, at this point.

RichieNextel305
10-15-2014, 03:34 PM
While true, I would rather them be given a look of more than 1.5 games before moving on from it because Pouliot isn't there. I think those 2, with or without Pouliot, still have something to work with. While I do believe each of the 3 were important to that lines success, I think Pouliot is the one who is most replaceable there. And thats not a knock on him as much as it's a compliment to Brassard and Zuccarello.

AmericanJesus
10-15-2014, 03:56 PM
What's the over/under on number of games before someone starts a thread about taking the "C" from McDonagh?

The Dude
10-15-2014, 03:57 PM
Brassard needs to step it up.
Hagelin needs to play like its the playoffs.
Malone needs to be stapled to Zucc.
Hayes hasnt impressed me.
Miller needs a longer leash.
St Louis needs to not play center.

Kreider Miller Nash
Malone Brassard Zucc
Stemp Hayes St Louis
Hagelin Moore Glass.

Can Stempniak play LW?

Is it a slap in the face to put Hagelin on the 4th line? Is giving Miller a dream spot centering the teams top wingers a bad idea?

Morphinity
10-15-2014, 04:01 PM

Kreider Miller Nash
Malone Brassard Zucc
Stemp Hayes St Louis
Hagelin Moore Glass.

Can Stempniak play LW?

Is it a slap in the face to put Hagelin on the 4th line? Is giving Miller a dream spot centering the teams top wingers a bad idea?

So you're scratching Duclair, playing Hagelin with Moore and Glass to get him playing "like it's the playoffs," and moving a recently scratched Miller (who has clearly fallen out of favor) to the first line?

:slats:

Kevin
10-15-2014, 04:13 PM

Kreider Miller Nash
Malone Brassard Zucc
Stemp Hayes St Louis
Hagelin Moore Glass.

Can Stempniak play LW?

Looks like a poem the way you wrote that. Hayes was much more impressive in this last game than Miller has been in any game so far. I agree that I think he should still be playing but I certainly wouldn't be putting him at 1c. I like the idea of trying Malone out with Zucc.

Pete
10-15-2014, 04:13 PM
While true, I would rather them be given a look of more than 1.5 games before moving on from it because Pouliot isn't there. I think those 2, with or without Pouliot, still have something to work with. While I do believe each of the 3 were important to that lines success, I think Pouliot is the one who is most replaceable there. And thats not a knock on him as much as it's a compliment to Brassard and Zuccarello.

Well it seems not to be the case so far.

Vodka Drunkenski
10-15-2014, 04:25 PM
Pouliot is a huge loss for that line, Goodluck trying to find that speed, size and toughness with pretty decent offensive skill set (in the head and hands)

AmericanJesus
10-15-2014, 04:27 PM
Pouliot is a huge loss for that line, Goodluck trying to find that speed, size and toughness with pretty decent offensive skill set (in the head and hands)

Kreider.

That wasn't too difficult.

NYR2711
10-15-2014, 04:33 PM
Kreider.

That wasn't too difficult.

I was gonna say this as well, and honestly, with Kreider playing with Brassard, Brassard has been a lot better and scored two goals. Before that, he was playing like shit. I wouldn't mind seeing a line of CK-Brass-Zucc for now, and then once Stepan is back, put MSL in Zucc spot and leave Nash and Duke with Step.

Morphinity
10-15-2014, 04:39 PM

I think this makes Pouliot out to be way more than he is. This is basically the full package and Pouliot is far from the full package. He did well in some limited time with linemates he developed chemistry with.

RichieNextel305
10-15-2014, 04:55 PM
I didn't say Pouliot wasn't a huge loss. But, I'd much rather see him walk out the door than the other 2.

And like others have said, I really do think Kreider can do a lot of what Pouliot did in that role if given a chance to play with those 2.

Pete
10-15-2014, 04:59 PM
I think this makes Pouliot out to be way more than he is. This is basically the full package and Pouliot is far from the full package. He did well in some limited time with linemates he developed chemistry with.

I think you're misinterpreting what he's saying.

Usually a player will have 1/2 of these assets. But in Pouliot you had a big body, who wasn't slow, and actually has hands and the brain to go with it. He could have went the way of Brian Boyle. Big, decent enough skater, good shot, but terrible hands and offensive instincts. He could have went the way of Pyatt. Big body, willingness to get to the front, but slow as shit. Know what I mean?

!br-avery!
10-15-2014, 05:00 PM
Kreider-brass-zucc
Duclair-MSL- Nash
Hagelin-Hayes-Malone
Fast-Moore-stempniak
No particular order, could maybe swap Malone and stemp also

Morphinity
10-15-2014, 05:05 PM
I think you're misinterpreting what he's saying.

Usually a player will have 1/2 of these assets. But in Pouliot you had a big body, who wasn't slow, and actually has hands and the brain to go with it. He could have went the way of Brian Boyle. Big, decent enough skater, good shot, but terrible hands and offensive instincts. He could have went the way of Pyatt. Big body, willingness to get to the front, but slow as shit. Know what I mean?

Right, but his original statement didn't have those qualifiers. When someone says a player has size, speed, toughness, and decent offensive instinct, I'm instantly thinking this is a good player - that's a fairly good review. But Pouliot is an okay player who can be a little more than okay at times - he has those attributes, sure, but they don't translate to production.

The Dude
10-15-2014, 05:55 PM
So you're scratching Duclair, playing Hagelin with Moore and Glass to get him playing "like it's the playoffs," and moving a recently scratched Miller (who has clearly fallen out of favor) to the first line?

:slats:

Yes?

Where does Duclair fit then? Do you scratch Hagelin and play Duclair on the 4th line?

I play Miller there because hes all they have with the skillset to do the job. Or is there another speedy center with good instincts that i am unaware of.

The Dude
10-15-2014, 06:08 PM
Looks like a poem the way you wrote that. Hayes was much more impressive in this last game than Miller has been in any game so far. I agree that I think he should still be playing but I certainly wouldn't be putting him at 1c. I like the idea of trying Malone out with Zucc.

MSL needs to play wing. This isnt working. Im not impressed with Hayes. I just think he needs to play in the A and gain experience against grown men. His moves are weak, he doesn't play very big, he needs work. Duclair looks worlds ahead of him as a developed hockey player. As does Miller when hes confident.

They need a natural center on one of the scoring lines, and everyone wants Brassard and Zuccs on the same line... Well SOMEONE has to center Nashs line. Have a better suggesion? Does Hates deserve the job? I don't think so, but thats better than critisizing and not discussing.

Miller, Hayes..... who else? Whos gonna play center?

Pete
10-15-2014, 06:20 PM
Right, but his original statement didn't have those qualifiers. When someone says a player has size, speed, toughness, and decent offensive instinct, I'm instantly thinking this is a good player - that's a fairly good review. But Pouliot is an okay player who can be a little more than okay at times - he has those attributes, sure, but they don't translate to production.

But they did last year, and he was an advanced stats superstar, which should win you over.

Vodka Drunkenski
10-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Kreider. That wasn't too difficult.

As much as I like Kreider, I don't think he's polished enough to fit the bill. He's the closest thing we have to it, yes but not the same IMO.

Vodka Drunkenski
10-15-2014, 06:58 PM
I didn't say Pouliot wasn't a huge loss. But, I'd much rather see him walk out the door than the other 2. And like others have said, I really do think Kreider can do a lot of what Pouliot did in that role if given a chance to play with those 2.

Didn't mean it towards you, was just saying it in general. :cheers:

Vodka Drunkenski
10-15-2014, 06:58 PM
I think you're misinterpreting what he's saying. Usually a player will have 1/2 of these assets. But in Pouliot you had a big body, who wasn't slow, and actually has hands and the brain to go with it. He could have went the way of Brian Boyle. Big, decent enough skater, good shot, but terrible hands and offensive instincts. He could have went the way of Pyatt. Big body, willingness to get to the front, but slow as shit. Know what I mean?

Exactly

Vodka Drunkenski
10-15-2014, 07:00 PM

It certainly translated last season. His attributes fit that line perfectly and is a main reason it was so successful.

lefty9
10-15-2014, 07:41 PM
Looks like a poem the way you wrote that. Hayes was much more impressive in this last game than Miller has been in any game so far. I agree that I think he should still be playing but I certainly wouldn't be putting him at 1c. I like the idea of trying Malone out with Zucc.i totally agree with Hayes,i think he will produce at this level

Slobberknocker
10-15-2014, 07:53 PM
Yea, based on 2 games.

jt miller for mdz....

there. it had to be said.

Respecttheblue
10-15-2014, 08:16 PM
i totally agree with Hayes,i think he will produce at this level

Was pleaased to see Hayes look like a talented pro out there at times. I think the rest will come in time. One of the brighter spots from a crappy outcome that was winnable until the wheels fell off the wagon.

Pete
10-15-2014, 09:11 PM

Don't agree at all RE: Hayes.

Plays die on his stick. He holds the puck too long and doesn't even try to make plays until it's too late.

Vodka Drunkenski
10-15-2014, 09:13 PM
Has Boyle written all over him

CCCP
10-15-2014, 09:28 PM
Has Boyle written all over him

U kidding? In two games he showed more offensive talent than Boyle in his all NHL career.

lefty9
10-15-2014, 09:39 PM

Plays die on his stick. He holds the puck too long and doesn't even try to make plays until it's too late.but its only been two games ,he is still adjusting to this level,but he is creative and he looks like a good qb out there

Pete
10-15-2014, 09:45 PM
but its only been two games ,he is still adjusting to this level,but he is creative and he looks like a good qb out there

Then go to the AHL and adjust.

He doesn't look to be creating anything. He holds pucks due to size and reach, but no chances come of it.

He can use some seasoning, that's all. No shame there.

lefty9
10-15-2014, 10:03 PM
Then go to the AHL and adjust.

He doesn't look to be creating anything. He holds pucks due to size and reach, but no chances come of it.

He can use some seasoning, that's all. No shame there.every young player could use some seasoning,but Hayes or most rookies are going to go through growing pains

Pete
10-15-2014, 10:04 PM
every young player could use some seasoning,but Hayes or most rookies are going to go through growing pains
That's too vague an excuse for me.

torontonyr
10-15-2014, 11:48 PM
That's too vague an excuse for me.

The real issue is, what's the alternative right now? We're woefully shallow at C.

Moreover, Hayes came into our possession on a promise, that he'd find himself on the main stage here, where he wouldn't have in Chicago. This, much like burning a year of Haggerty's contract last season, is how we plan to pick up future talent while also remaining relatively competitive.

We're making concessions, and we're living both with the reward and the punishment.

Kevin
10-16-2014, 02:42 AM

Plays die on his stick. He holds the puck too long and doesn't even try to make plays until it's too late.

The game against the Islanders he looked quicker and seemed to be making more decisive plays than the previous games he has played in. And when I mentioned that he looked more impressive than Miller, I meant in any game that Miller has played this season. I'm not a Miller hater and I want him in the line-up. I just don't think you can stick him in a 1c role.

Kevin
10-16-2014, 02:50 AM
MSL needs to play wing. This isnt working. Im not impressed with Hayes. I just think he needs to play in the A and gain experience against grown men. His moves are weak, he doesn't play very big, he needs work. Duclair looks worlds ahead of him as a developed hockey player. As does Miller when hes confident.

They need a natural center on one of the scoring lines, and everyone wants Brassard and Zuccs on the same line... Well SOMEONE has to center Nashs line. Have a better suggesion? Does Hates deserve the job? I don't think so, but thats better than critisizing and not discussing.

Miller, Hayes..... who else? Whos gonna play center?

I'd put Hayes there before Miller but I'd probably try Brass there before any of them. I mentioned it in the last game-day thread that the St. Louis/center experiment needs to end b/c of his not knowing where do be defensively. I agree that Duclair looks way better than Hayes at this point. I think we have a real gem there. He actually looks way better than quite a few of the players. I think Hayes has improved from game to game and hope he continues to adjust to the pace of play.

As for the bold part, I hope you didn't take what I wrote as criticizing you because that was not my intention at all. I don't get into stuff like that on here.

The Dude
10-16-2014, 06:00 AM
I'd put Hayes there before Miller but I'd probably try Brass there before any of them. I mentioned it in the last game-day thread that the St. Louis/center experiment needs to end b/c of his not knowing where do be defensively. I agree that Duclair looks way better than Hayes at this point. I think we have a real gem there. He actually looks way better than quite a few of the players. I think Hayes has improved from game to game and hope he continues to adjust to the pace of play.

As for the bold part, I hope you didn't take what I wrote as criticizing you because that was not my intention at all. I don't get into stuff like that on here.

Thanks for the response.

Nash is red hot right now, and is considered our 1st line winger, yet people had no problem in the off season throwing him on the "3rd" line.

I dont see why since hes scoring this means we have to stack his line with the only proven NHL center on the team, leaving the other lines abandoned of a good center.

Right now, at this moment, Nash doesnt need a legit center. Thats not to say that wont change. But we are looking to spread the wealth. Brassard needs to be away from Nash, to try and get another line going.

Miller fits the job at hand for now. Maybe he grows from it. The other lines need the experienced player to get something going, and everyone says you cant split Brassard and Zuccs. Sooo, by process of elimination, its either Miller, Hayes, or Moore.

Imo Hayes would benefit centering MSL more so than Nash. I also think Miller needs minutes and confidence at this stage. Hayes just got here. Lets not waste another former 1st rounder by not giving it a real shot to succeed.

Not saying im right, and that it HAS to be Miller. At this point its either Miller or Hayes in that spot. Only ones that make sense to me.

Can Hagelin play center?

Pete
10-16-2014, 06:24 AM
What does Nash on the third line in the off season have anything to do with anything?

No, Hagelin can't play center. And he can't play on a scoring line either.

AmericanJesus
10-16-2014, 07:59 AM
MSL is a top line offensive center for Nash but defensively he's got issues. That's a pretty big problem as you need your top line out scoring the opposition. When Nash comes back to earth I'm not so sure that happens.

The Dude
10-16-2014, 05:01 PM
What does Nash on the third line in the off season have anything to do with anything?

No, Hagelin can't play center. And he can't play on a scoring line either.

Id appreciate a non condescending tone please.

Point is we all pretty much figured that we dont have a go to first line.

So why now, is it Nashs line is the first line? Why cant Miller play on his line NOW, yet in the offseason it was pretty much what a lot of people wanted (Miller centering a line with Nash).

I was wondering about Hagelin, because he kinda doesnt fit on any line now. Hes too small and cant be paired with anyone who lands in the bottom six. He either makes the line too small, or doesnt have the offensive skills to be put on a line with Zucc, Nash or MSL. Do we trade him? Could his speed translate better at center, where his defensive skills could maybe flourish more? Sorry if thats an ignorant or dumb question. The guy just seems to not be contributing enough to warrant a spot on any wing save for his pk ability.

SaveByRichter35
10-16-2014, 05:21 PM

Don't you mean Rangerstown? :p

torontonyr
10-17-2014, 05:48 PM
Hearing that Coyotes brass have been spotted at MSG recently, leading to speculation of a potential deal for one of their 6 Cs.

Pete
10-17-2014, 06:36 PM
^ Zipay retweeted that from Ranger Reports.

Gotta source these things, folks.

torontonyr
10-17-2014, 11:06 PM
^ Zipay retweeted that from Ranger Reports.

Gotta source these things, folks.

I actually don't follow Zip on twitter, nor do I read Ranger Reports. Just saw it on various forums.

Pete
10-17-2014, 11:32 PM
I actually don't follow Zip on twitter, nor do I read Ranger Reports. Just saw it on various forums.

That's fine. Still need sources. Even if they're other forums.

CreaseCrusader91
10-18-2014, 12:13 AM
So the only Cs I can think of that would be of interest are Hanzal, Vermette and West Coast Brassard Sam Gagner

Another team stacked with C is NSH. I'd take shot on Roy.

torontonyr
10-18-2014, 12:55 AM
That's fine. Still need sources. Even if they're other forums.

I try to only source original sources, but if that's the way we go about things - I'll do that moving forward.

torontonyr
10-18-2014, 12:56 AM
So the only Cs I can think of that would be of interest are Hanzal, Vermette and West Coast Brassard Sam Gagner

Another team stacked with C is NSH. I'd take shot on Roy.

Vermette is realistic due to his contract situation.

TwoMinutesForNothing
10-18-2014, 03:23 AM
If we are trading with anyone it will be for a Dman, not a center.

Pete
10-18-2014, 07:42 AM
I try to only source original sources, but if that's the way we go about things - I'll do that moving forward.

Thanks.

Just helps people determine level of credibility of rumors.

Phil in Absentia
10-18-2014, 03:28 PM
Vermette is a solid player. UFA at seasons end, so any deal needs to be reasonable.

Phil in Absentia
10-18-2014, 03:29 PM
If we are trading with anyone it will be for a Dman, not a center.

Team needs both right now.

Need for D has longer term repercussions though, I agree there.

This was the RT tweet from Zipay, for those interested:

:tweet: @bpaine888: @stevezipay @rangersreport Coyote and Rangers STH here Vermette not going anywhere Coyotes forward group weak. Dave Schlemko possible target

AmericanJesus
10-18-2014, 03:50 PM
From Blueshirtsunited.com

Here's how the Rangers lined up at Saturday's practice:

Kreider-Hayes-Nash

Zuccarello-Brassard-St. Louis

Hagelin-D. Moore-Stempniak

Malone-Mueller-Glass

Extra: Duclair

Dunny
10-18-2014, 05:49 PM
I think the need for a C is more pressing. Especially if they don't think Miller can help.

I defy anyone to find a weaker group of centermen in the NHL, as the 4 listed above, outside of Carolina. The salary cap is a bitch.

Pete
10-18-2014, 06:06 PM
Somewhere, Bad Richards laughs.

Captain Clutch
10-18-2014, 06:08 PM
Somewhere, Bad Richards laughs.

I think we all knew that would be a problem, though.

Phil in Absentia
10-18-2014, 06:57 PM
I think the need for a C is more pressing. Especially if they don't think Miller can help.

I defy anyone to find a weaker group of centermen in the NHL, as the 4 listed above, outside of Carolina. The salary cap is a bitch.

Thing is, Stepan will come back relatively soon. That, to me, makes the need for D of more long-term importance.

The center situation isn't half bad with Stepan back in the line-up. Nothing right now is changing how ugly the bottom pairing in general is, and how odd the second pairing has been because of the Boyle injury.

It basically goes McDonagh, Staal, Girardi, ten foot drop, Klein, one hundred foot drop, John Moore, one thousand foot drop, everyone else. So you have three solid NHL defenders, one OK defender who probably makes too much for a third pairing, and a bunch of meh.

Makes me with the Rangers signed Robidas this summer even more.

Pete
10-18-2014, 07:48 PM
Robidas was just scratched in favor or Jake Gardiner. So...yea.

CreaseCrusader91
10-18-2014, 08:15 PM
Robidas was just scratched in favor or Jake Gardiner. So...yea.
??? Robidas' legs are shot and Gardiner is a decent Dman. Not sure what you are trying to say here.

Pete
10-18-2014, 08:18 PM
??? Robidas' legs are shot and Gardiner is a decent Dman. Not sure what you are trying to say here.Then pay attention to the context.

Thing is, Stepan will come back relatively soon. That, to me, makes the need for D of more long-term importance.

The center situation isn't half bad with Stepan back in the line-up. Nothing right now is changing how ugly the bottom pairing in general is, and how odd the second pairing has been because of the Boyle injury.

It basically goes McDonagh, Staal, Girardi, ten foot drop, Klein, one hundred foot drop, John Moore, one thousand foot drop, everyone else. So you have three solid NHL defenders, one OK defender who probably makes too much for a third pairing, and a bunch of meh.

Makes me with the Rangers signed Robidas this summer even more.

Robidas is old and can't skate, so how would be be better than what we have?

That's what I'm trying to say here.

CreaseCrusader91
10-18-2014, 08:19 PM
Then pay attention to the context.

Robidas is old and can't skate, so how would be be better than what we have?

That's what I'm trying to say here.
I saw that. Just the presentation of saying X was scratched for Y could interpreted as Robidas has been so bad that they put Gardiner in instead. Its why I asked the question.

Pete
10-18-2014, 08:22 PM
I saw that. Just the presentation of saying X was scratched for Y could interpreted as Robidas has been so bad that they put Gardiner in instead. Its why I asked the question.

Well, yea, because they hate Gardiner up there. So the fact that he's in means they have even less faith in Robidas than they do in him. Know what I mean?

CreaseCrusader91
10-18-2014, 08:23 PM
Well, yea, because they hate Gardiner up there. So the fact that he's in means they have even less faith in Robidas than they do in him. Know what I mean?
Yeah. That's what I meant. It seems like a ton of people up there soured on him. Was just curious because I thought in in the past someone said we overate him because of where he and McDonagh went to school.

torontonyr
10-18-2014, 08:38 PM
I don't really have a problem with our C depth, if Mueller plays as he has historically and if Moore can step up for the time being.

Mueller is, for all intensive purposes, D.Moore light.

However I do acknowledge that we'd be far better off in the long term with more depth at C, which I feel (based solely on a hunch) will be refilled by Richards next summer.

torontonyr
10-18-2014, 08:38 PM
Yeah. That's what I meant. It seems like a ton of people up there soured on him. Was just curious because I thought in in the past someone said we overate him because of where he and McDonagh went to school.

He's the JT Miller of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

momentum
10-24-2014, 05:55 AM
We could really use Stralman right now...
The weakness at center is hardly a surprise, some of us has been pointing out how weak we were there WITH Stepan in the lineup, now that he's out injured we're even worse ofc.
Have to say it's irritating to me that Miller isn't given more of a chance, especially right now with lack of centers. AV obviously has some thing about him. Annoying to say the least. I think Miller has the tools to be a productive NHL'er but I think the only place where he will learn what it takes is here in the NHL. They should simply trade him right now before his value is deteriotated altogether since AV doesn't fancy him and AV isn't going anywhere.
Perhaps package him with McIlrath for something.

Myusername
10-24-2014, 09:37 AM
I agree about Stralman... we miss him. Dammit I wish we would have kept him somehow... he's been doing great in Tampa thus far. I really think he's a changed player and will be worth the contract in the long-run.

As for Miller... damn, that's going to be a tough decision for management. The guy clearly has skills, but it's still unknown who well they will ultimately translate to the NHL based on the sample size we've had thus far. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if ended up as a third-liner and likewise it would be of no surprise if he turns into a top 6 forward. Curious to see what happens with him

Dunny
10-24-2014, 07:05 PM
The problem isn't Anton Stralman, the problem was that we didn't replace Anton Stralman. Yes, that includes Dan Boyle.

Phil in Absentia
10-24-2014, 07:17 PM
Seeing Strålman up on the top pairing with Tampa along side Hedman made me furious.

Myusername
10-24-2014, 08:26 PM
Eh, if we didn't have Girardi or Staal he would have probably found his way to the top pairing also

Dunny
10-24-2014, 08:29 PM
Seeing Strålman up on the top pairing with Tampa along side Hedman made me furious.

You can look at it that way, or you can take solace in the fact that they have to use Stralman on their top pair. I'm a glass half full kind of guy.

Pete
10-24-2014, 08:50 PM
You can look at it that way, or you can take solace in the fact that they have to use Stralman on their top pair. I'm a glass half full kind of guy.

They don't HAVE to. They signed him to do so.

Cash or Czech?
10-25-2014, 01:23 PM
:tweet: @NYRangers:

#NYR Injury Update: Derek Stepan has begun skating lightly on his own

Captain Clutch
10-25-2014, 01:27 PM
Good news there, he only has 2 games left on that 10 game minimum, including tonight's

Slobberknocker
10-25-2014, 02:28 PM
what can you do about stralman. you cant keep everyone. your hopeful someone in your organization can step up. hunwick hasn't played badly though i guess in a perfect world you hoped it would have been allen or mcilrath.

Pete
10-25-2014, 02:44 PM
what can you do about stralman. you cant keep everyone. your hopeful someone in your organization can step up. hunwick hasn't played badly though i guess in a perfect world you hoped it would have been allen or mcilrath.

I'd have rather paid him than DBoyle.

AmericanJesus
10-25-2014, 02:46 PM
Got Strålman for a song. Paid him modestly and got good value. Now he's getting paid at his level, so the value is only fair. Better to find the next Strålman and pay him modestly.

Teams that pay fair market for most of their roster won't win in today's NHL.

Pete
10-25-2014, 03:37 PM
Got Strålman for a song. Paid him modestly and got good value. Now he's getting paid at his level, so the value is only fair. Better to find the next Strålman and pay him modestly.

Teams that pay fair market for most of their roster won't win in today's NHL.

If it was that simple, everyone would do it at every position, and everyone's salary would drop.

AmericanJesus
10-26-2014, 07:34 AM
If it was that simple, everyone would do it at every position, and everyone's salary would drop.

Oh its not simple. Only one team a year puts out all together and only a handful are legitimately close. Just saying what winning teams are able to do.

Respecttheblue
10-26-2014, 09:37 AM
Oh its not simple. Only one team a year puts out all together and only a handful are legitimately close. Just saying what winning teams are able to do.

That's something worth repeating (as a reminder) to oneself on a daily basis when frustration mounts.

Myusername
10-26-2014, 12:17 PM
:tweet: @NYRangers:

Wonder what the lines will look like once he gets back. Either way, he should solidify this line up big time.

Myusername
10-26-2014, 12:26 PM
I'm kind of worried about Staal... he hasn't really been the same player ever since his injuries. We see it once in a while, but the consistency is just not there. Not only does he have more bad games now but he flat out looks horrible in those bad games. I would try to trade to him before the deadline and get something decent in return before he regresses even more. It's going to suck losing a top 4 D, but it's going to suck even more losing him for nothing in the offseason.

AmericanJesus
10-26-2014, 08:22 PM
I'm kind of worried about Staal... he hasn't really been the same player ever since his injuries. We see it once in a while, but the consistency is just not there. Not only does he have more bad games now but he flat out looks horrible in those bad games. I would try to trade to him before the deadline and get something decent in return before he regresses even more. It's going to suck losing a top 4 D, but it's going to suck even more losing him for nothing in the offseason.

If you move Staal without getting a legit top four defender to replace him you give up on this season. As you can see with Boyle out our depth isn't what it needs to be right now.

Myusername
10-26-2014, 09:42 PM
If you move Staal without getting a legit top four defender to replace him you give up on this season. As you can see with Boyle out our depth isn't what it needs to be right now.

I think we can get that, honestly. Staal is a big name and a team out there might surely overpay for him considering his pedigree, the fact that he previously was a #1/2 and that he's only 27 years. We would probably have to trade him out West though unless we want to risk putting a contender we might ultimately face in the PO's over the top

Cash or Czech?
10-26-2014, 10:50 PM
I think you'd realize how much we need him when he's gone. It's very shortsighted to trade one of top-3 defensemen when we aren't going to get equal value back. Essentially signaling a rebuild when the only legit D prospect we have for the top-4 is Skjei and rushing him isn't going to make us better. If anything, adding him to our top-3 would go much further.

Bretzky
10-27-2014, 08:13 AM
We shouldn't have given Girardi a NTC.

Should've built the D around Staal and McDonagh and moved Girardi+ for Jordan or Eric, IMO.

At this point, Staal needs to be re-signed.

Pete
10-27-2014, 08:41 AM
Guys, this thread is getting a bit derailed here. Let's keep it focused on the practice updates.

Thanks.

Phil in Absentia
10-27-2014, 10:47 AM
:tweet: @NYP_Brooksie: From the looks at skate it appears as if Rangers have taken Kreider off power play. Malone on one unit. Mueller up front on other. #NYR

Pete
10-27-2014, 10:57 AM
I like Mueller on the PP. He's not scared to shoot and can make creative passes.

Phil in Absentia
10-27-2014, 10:59 AM
Looks like John Moore is in as well. Hayes also out.

:tweet: @stevezipay: That PP tweak update? John Moore and Malone in; Hayes, Kreider off

RichieNextel305
10-27-2014, 11:01 AM
Same. Mueller has looked good. Another plus with him on the PP is that he's a righty. And with Boyle out, outside of Mueller and Stempniak, the units have been too lefty-dominant.

It was insane watching the game vs. the Islanders with 5 LH players on the 1st unit. I believe it was Nash, St. Louis, McDonagh, Malone and Kreider. Don't get me wrong, I get the logic of playing your best players a man-up. But, while the group didn't move the puck poorly while in the offensive zone, they were leaning toward one side of the ice because everybody in the building knew they couldn't shoot off a pass on the other side, so the puck was going to slow down.

Mueller is obviously a righty, and the guy likes to shoot. I have no issues with him on the PP.

RichieNextel305
10-27-2014, 11:02 AM

:tweet: @stevezipay: That PP tweak update? John Moore and Malone in; Hayes, Kreider off

I know Pete isn't a big fan of his, which is fine. But one thing with John Moore that I like on a PP is he will throw just about anything on net. If he sees a lane, he's firing. And if you do that enough, and you have someone like Malone in front of the net to clean up the garbage, you're gonna get some goals.

Pete
10-27-2014, 11:03 AM

That's disappointing.

Phil in Absentia
10-27-2014, 11:04 AM
I know Pete isn't a big fan of his, which is fine. But one thing with John Moore that I like on a PP is he will throw just about anything on net. If he sees a lane, he's firing. And if you do that enough, and you have someone like Malone in front of the net to clean up the garbage, you're gonna get some goals.

Neither am I, for all the same reasons.

I don't really see the value in trying Moore there. I get his shot advantage, but he still doesn't actually shoot enough for that to be enough of a difference-maker, and his decision making is poor, so my guess is a lot of those are going to be blocked, and might even result in pucks going the other way.

momentum
10-31-2014, 04:24 PM
We shouldn't have given Girardi a NTC.

Should've built the D around Staal and McDonagh and moved Girardi+ for Jordan or Eric, IMO.

At this point, Staal needs to be re-signed.

Ehh the error was actually not signing Stralman, he was a much better bang for the buck at 4 mil than Staal will be at 6 mil a year, right now we would have both Staal and Stralman and we could spend the season finding the right trade for Staal plus something like McIlrath maybe or Miller if he doesn't work out and get a decent center back or a decent prospect that is cheaper and can fill in.

Myusername
10-31-2014, 06:27 PM
It pains me to say it, but I honestly think Stralman is the better defender right now irrespective of $$

Bretzky
11-01-2014, 12:06 AM
I don't think Stralman is a better DEFENDER than Staal.

Stralman's mobility and what I call "escapability": the ability to skate the puck out of trouble due to mobility are what make him a valuable player, along with smart exit passes. Perhaps Stralman is better against faster teams; Staal's one real Achilles heel. But against the bigger teams, Staal is a much more reliable and consistent defender IMO.

However, I don't think Staal vs Stralman is even the issue.

It's Dan Boyle for 2 years vs Stralman for 5.

Same cap-hit.

I was in the minority when the signing was made that felt that Stralman for 5 years was a better choice than Boyle for 2.

I just don't see Dan Boyle being enough of an offensive difference maker to make up for the step he's clearly lost. The pace of the game has passed him by; players are bigger, stronger, faster hole Dan Boyle is small, slower, and older. IMO he tries to do too much with the puck sometimes and ends up turning it over instead of making the safe, simple breakout pass.

I don't trust Dan Boyle to last for 82 games let alone trust him in a playoff game to be a difference maker in a positive way.

I also believe (not based on anything) that we likely could've had Stralman at a slightly lower cap-hit as long as we gave him the term he wanted. He stated that security (term) was more important to him than anything else.

Bottom line: instead of center depth being out only real issue / void to fill, we also need a proven top-4 D. McDonagh, Girardi, Staal are fine. Klein is fine as a bottom pair D. It's Boyle and Moore that are unreliable IMO. Hunwick looks better than both so far. That's scary.

Pete
11-01-2014, 01:02 AM
Everyone calls it escapability. :)

RichieNextel305
11-02-2014, 12:45 PM
https://twitter.com/AGrossRecord/status/528964394047516673

With the way the schedule has been spread out, hasn't been shocking for Lundqvist to play 9 of the first 10. The games have been extremely spread out. I thought AV would wait until the weekend to play Talbot either at Toronto or at home vs. Edmonton. I'm sure that is still the plan.

Feel free to move this to the Reports from the Rink thread.

Phil in Absentia
11-02-2014, 01:29 PM
:tweet: @stevezipay: Per AV, if NYR decide to call up Conor Allen and Dylan McIlrath, bonuses are included, but thinks they will fit under cap

--

Sounds like they want both McIlrath and Allen up for tomorrow.

Cash or Czech?
11-02-2014, 01:46 PM
Probably because the only dangerous weapon on St. Louis right now is Tarasenko. STL is ranked 23rd in goals per game.

phillyb™
11-02-2014, 04:40 PM
there was a whole larry brooks article and a pat leonard article.

OF COURSE TALBOT STARTS TOMORROW.

Phil in Absentia
11-03-2014, 10:25 AM
:tweet: @AGrossRecord: McIlrath and Conor Allen on ice as Rangers new third pair of d-men.

So Nashty
11-03-2014, 12:37 PM
I really wanna see how McIlrath does. Hope he ends up sticking and maybe taking moore's spot. ::wishful thinking::

DiJock94
11-03-2014, 12:56 PM
Nice

Cash or Czech?
11-05-2014, 10:35 AM
Klein could be back tonight

https://twitter.com/pleonardnydn/status/530020002809016323

AmericanJesus
11-05-2014, 10:54 AM
Klein could be back tonight

https://twitter.com/pleonardnydn/status/530020002809016323

That would be a huge boost to our defense. The weakest link then would become Kostka, imo.

Cash or Czech?
11-05-2014, 01:20 PM
That would be a huge boost to our defense. The weakest link then would become Kostka, imo.

Plus Dan Boyle has been skating. Defense could freshen up to NHL caliber sooner than we think.

Pete
11-07-2014, 12:16 PM
:tweet:Andrew Gross: AV confirms Talbot tomorrow night at Toronto, Lundqvist Sunday at MSG vs. Oilers.

Pete
11-07-2014, 12:28 PM
:tweet:Steve Zipay: So, #NYR, in sum, will have Stepan, Talbot in lineup Sat in Toronto; Lundqvist Sunday, Boyle sometime next week, Hayes 4th line C & Kaberle?

--

Def not feeling Dom Moore as a 3rd line C.

AmericanJesus
11-07-2014, 12:39 PM
:tweet:Steve Zipay: So, #NYR, in sum, will have Stepan, Talbot in lineup Sat in Toronto; Lundqvist Sunday, Boyle sometime next week, Hayes 4th line C & Kaberle?

--

It depends on the role of your third line. If you're using them to shut down, he's fine. But if you expect more balanced offense from your top 3 lines, Moore's not going to give it to you. His line mates will generate offense despite him, not in part because of him. He'll get a grindy point every once in a while, or he'll throw the puck to the front of the net and happen to find someone there, but he's not going to generate much.

Pete
11-07-2014, 12:41 PM
It depends on the role of your third line. If you're using them to shut down, he's fine. But if you expect more balanced offense from your top 3 lines, Moore's not going to give it to you. His line mates will generate offense despite him, not in part because of him. He'll get a grindy point every once in a while, or he'll throw the puck to the front of the net and happen to find someone there, but he's not going to generate much.

Big picture, if you're using your 3rd line to shut people down, what's the 4th line doing and why is Hayes on it?

Mike
11-07-2014, 12:42 PM

--

I'm not opposed to anything they do right now. I enjoy seeing things mixed up, especially when they're this banged up, and still earning points.

Mike
11-07-2014, 12:46 PM

By being tbe f1, or 2 on the forecheck, he does have the ability to make things happen, and generate chances. I'm not interested in pretty, I just want good end results ..... I mean, you've seen my wife, right?

Slobberknocker
11-07-2014, 12:50 PM

--

Nor am I Pete, but I'd look at it as an all hands on deck approach until we get Steps going.

I'm really surprised Hayes stayed up and Mueller went down. I really want to see Hayes get some top line seasoning down there.

Pete
11-07-2014, 12:59 PM
I'm not opposed to anything they do right now. I enjoy seeing things mixed up, especially when they're this banged up, and still earning points.

This isn't mixed up, this is the way it's been, and it's been bad.

AmericanJesus
11-07-2014, 01:03 PM
Big picture, if you're using your 3rd line to shut people down, what's the 4th line doing and why is Hayes on it?

Energy and depth scoring. Top two lines for scoring, 3rd line to shut down opposing 1st line and 4th line to chip in some offense and wake up the crowd. Typically a youth energy line that may be a 2nd line in a year or two.

My post was poorly written. I meant it to say that you can have a 3rd line shut down line where Moore can be effective, but we're not built that way. The second part of the post is about how Moore is a square peg in a round hole.

AmericanJesus
11-07-2014, 01:22 PM
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/

Here are the practice combinations:

Rick Nash-Derick Brassard-Marty St. Louis
Chris Kreider-Derek Stepan-Mats Zuccarello
Carl Hagelin-Dominic Moore-Lee Stempniak
Tanner Glass-Kevin Hayes-Anthony Duclair

Marc Staal-Kevin Klein
Conor Allen-Dan Girardi
Matt Hunwick-Michael Kostka

:tweet: Andrew Gross Asked about previous statement of Duclair needing to be in top 9 Fs, AV laughs, "I lied." Actually, it's attempt to balance four lines.

I'd like that lineup better if you swapped Hagelin and Glass. If you roll that fourth line against typical fourth lines in the league, Duclair's going to end up concussed again.

Pete
11-07-2014, 01:24 PM
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/

:tweet: Andrew Gross Asked about previous statement of Duclair needing to be in top 9 Fs, AV laughs, "I lied." Actually, it's attempt to balance four lines.

I'd like that lineup better if you swapped Hagelin and Glass. If you roll that fourth line against typical fourth lines in the league, Duclair's going to end up concussed again.

Were those the D pairings for the last game? That 3rd pair is scary, even with Hunwick playing quite well.

Phil in Absentia
11-07-2014, 01:24 PM
Yeah, they're gonna have to be really careful there. I just don't like the way the bottom-six is structured. Hayes has his struggles, but he's still a better offensive player than Moore.

I'd simply have moved both he and Stempniak to the fourth line with Glass and played Hagelin with Hayes and Duclair.

AmericanJesus
11-07-2014, 01:31 PM
Were those the D pairings for the last game? That 3rd pair is scary, even with Hunwick playing quite well.

From memory, things just kept getting shuffled. I think a lot depended on who was out on the ice, where on the ice face offs were occurring, etc. Also, keep in mind last game G (31:0), Staal (30:00), Hunnwick (22:00), Klein (18:00), Kostka (11:00).

Cash or Czech?
11-07-2014, 01:32 PM
If we wanted a creative, chip in the odd goal 4th line we should've kept Mueller and sent down Hayes. Granted they both have 1 goal and 2 points on the year, but Hayes would be benefitted more with time in the AHL learning a pro game instead of pretending like he's still in college and can stick handle around everyone while not playing physical.

But to address the issue at hand with the players we have, Moore needs to be on a cycle line and playing with Hagelin and Stempniak accomplishes that. They're a two-way line that can chip in an odd goal while being defensively responsible. While on a great team that would be their fourth line, our depth doesn't allow for that to happen. Glass doesn't fit on that 4th line with Hayes and Duclair, in fact none of them seem to gel into a cohesive line but they're going with what parts they have.

Captain Clutch
11-07-2014, 03:23 PM
I'd rather player Messier with a stump leg over Glass at this point

Pete
11-07-2014, 03:24 PM
I wonder at what point over the next 3 years people will stop complaining about a perfectly serviceable player like Glass...

Captain Clutch
11-07-2014, 03:27 PM
When he's gone.

Phil in Absentia
11-07-2014, 03:36 PM
I wonder at what point over the next 3 years people will stop complaining about a perfectly serviceable player like Glass...

I think we both know this fan base, once it determines a majority opinion on a player, never lets them live it down. Ever.

AmericanJesus
11-07-2014, 04:29 PM
I think we both know this fan base, once it determines a majority opinion on a player, never lets them live it down. Ever.

It really sucks that Glass's name doesn't lend itself to a clever nickname. Best I could come up with is to call him Half Empty.

Phil in Absentia
11-10-2014, 04:17 PM
:tweet: @NYP_Brooksie: Would expect a move or two from Rangers at 5:00. Malone and D (Allen or Kostka) likely on way to AHL with forward on way up.

--

My guess is Lindberg is coming up, considering the tear he's been on with the Pack. He's got eight goals and eleven points in twelve games with the Pack to start the season. Would also imagine Allen is returned.

RichieNextel305
11-10-2014, 04:20 PM
Yeah, not too surprising as far as Allen going down with Moore eligible to be back tomorrow.

Travis Bickle
11-10-2014, 04:22 PM
Is Boyle returning tomorrow night also?

Phil in Absentia
11-10-2014, 04:24 PM
Is Boyle returning tomorrow night also?

No guarantee yet, but he was scheduled to return this week.

Drew a Penalty
11-10-2014, 04:24 PM
Definitely expecting a Lindberg call up. He's been playing well plus he gives the team another center than can win draws. Hopefully his call up leads to Hayes being sent down to work on his game some more.

Travis Bickle
11-10-2014, 04:28 PM
No guarantee yet, but he was scheduled to return this week.

Thanks.

Pete
11-10-2014, 04:33 PM
If they call Miller up, I'm going to scream.

Phil in Absentia
11-10-2014, 04:36 PM
If they call Miller up, I'm going to scream.

If you think about it, just about anyone getting the nod here is going to be put into a position to fail unless Hayes is going down, be it Miller, Lindberg or otherwise. The only player who might help in a fourth-line role is Fast.

Future
11-10-2014, 05:16 PM
If you think about it, just about anyone getting the nod here is going to be put into a position to fail unless Hayes is going down, be it Miller, Lindberg or otherwise. The only player who might help in a fourth-line role is Fast.
Yep.

Calling up someone to play 4th line minutes isn't going to do anybody any good.

RichieNextel305
11-10-2014, 05:51 PM
So.....who sits? Can't imagine they call Fast up and sit him. Stempniak? Glass? Duclair? Who is the odd man out tomorrow night? I'd imagine it likely would have to be Duclair, no?

DiJock94
11-10-2014, 06:42 PM
I would assume Duclair will most likely sit

momentum
11-13-2014, 01:21 PM
Lindberg is a good player, wouldn't mind giving him a shot to stick with the big team.

Puck Head
11-13-2014, 08:00 PM
Lindberg is a good player, wouldn't mind giving him a shot to stick with the big team.

I think in the big picture Moore has that 4th line locked up.

Need Miller or Hayes to step it up for 3rd line

Cash or Czech?
11-17-2014, 01:42 PM
McDonagh to start skating soon.

https://twitter.com/pleonardnydn/status/534404863606939648

phillyb™
11-17-2014, 01:59 PM
good news!

momentum
11-19-2014, 05:50 AM
McDonagh to start skating soon.

https://twitter.com/pleonardnydn/status/534404863606939648
Great, we need him back in a BAD way. Just not for his defense but I feel there is a general feeling of....how should i put it.....insecurity/hesitation on the team that he removes with his presence.

Phil in Absentia
12-12-2014, 04:04 PM
:tweet: @NYP_Brooksie: Practice in Vancouver. Kreider on fourth line, Miller remains on second line, Glass skating with Hunwick on fourth D pair.

RichieNextel305
12-12-2014, 08:03 PM
Glass confirmed he will be scratched tomorrow. I will post link soon. Saw it on Twitter from one of the beat writers.

CreaseCrusader91
12-12-2014, 08:04 PM
Glass confirmed he will be scratched tomorrow. I will post link soon. Saw it on Twitter from one of the beat writers.
It was Brooksie.

RichieNextel305
12-12-2014, 08:45 PM
Yeah I forgot if it was him or Gross.

Slobberknocker
12-15-2014, 12:35 PM
did anyone see any line combo ideas with Brass out?

RichieNextel305
01-12-2015, 02:16 PM
Rangers take top spot in most recent THN Power Rankings.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/power-rankings-rick-nash-and-king-henrik-propel-rangers-to-top-spot/

Drew a Penalty
01-12-2015, 04:59 PM
Ken Campbell said something good about the Rangers? What the hell?

Phil in Absentia
01-12-2015, 05:12 PM
Ken Campbell said something good about the Rangers? What the hell?

I legit highlighted the white area of the text before the second entry thinking he'd be the trollish dick he usually is with some "hidden" message like "but they won't win the Cup".

Suffice it to say, I'm disappointed in him.

Drew a Penalty
01-12-2015, 05:27 PM
I legit highlighted the white area of the text before the second entry thinking he'd be the trollish dick he usually is with some "hidden" message like "but they won't win the Cup".

Suffice it to say, I'm disappointed in him.

I want to bitch to him about not being an ass. He's supposed to be an ass.

Faiz
01-12-2015, 05:37 PM
Defenseman Dan Girardi sat out practice Monday, taking a maintenance day. Vigneault said that Girardi would play against the Islanders tomorrow.

http://www.blueshirtsunited.com/article/rangers-prepare-new-york-classic-against-isles

Phil in Absentia
01-14-2015, 01:25 PM
:tweet: @BrettCyrgalis: Vigneault said Stepan is "day-to-day" and is making the trip. Unlikely for tomorrow. #NYR

--

According to the usual suspects (Gross, etc.), Miller skated in his place with St. Louis and Kreider, while Glass joined the fourth line with Kevin Hayes and Jesper Fast and Dom Moore was bumped up with Lee Stempniak to the third line with Carl Hagelin.

So come Boston, we're probably seeing this out of the forward lines:

Nash / Brassard / Zuccarello
Kreider / Miller / St. Louis
Hagelin / Moore / Stempniak
Glass / Hayes / Fast

Pete
01-14-2015, 01:33 PM
That's ugly.

Morphinity
01-14-2015, 01:33 PM
I bet you're excited Miller is with St. Louis!

But this really sucks. Stepan has been great for this team. For a guy who hadn't missed a game until the playoffs last year, he's had a rough 7 months or so.

Phil in Absentia
01-14-2015, 01:39 PM
I bet you're excited Miller is with St. Louis!

But this really sucks. Stepan has been great for this team. For a guy who hadn't missed a game until the playoffs last year, he's had a rough 7 months or so.

I am, but that's about all I'm really excited about.

Moore moving up is a head-scratcher. Not that Hayes showed much last night, but I wouldn't have shifted anything around there. I'd have simply moved Miller up and slotted Glass into the fourth line with Stempniak or Fast going to the third line for the time being.

RichieNextel305
01-14-2015, 02:57 PM
Talbot gets the start tomorrow vs. Boston per various Twitter accounts.

Morphinity
01-14-2015, 03:04 PM
Trying to send a message?

Slobberknocker
01-14-2015, 03:06 PM
shows you how thin we are depth wise, especially at center. miller is the best option but would really love to keep him on the wing. that said it's better than Msl playing center.

RichieNextel305
01-14-2015, 03:07 PM
As with any other team, the team plays a better all-around game with their backup in net, because they know that as good as Talbot has been, he probably won't bail them out as much as Henrik can.

That being said, its 3 in 4 nights again right here. And Henrik has had his issues with the Bruins the past year or so, and Columbus is playing well. So, though I was expecting Henrik tomorrow and Talbot Friday, I'm not as shocked as I thought I would be.

thes5
01-14-2015, 04:18 PM
As with any other team, the team plays a better all-around game with their backup in net, because they know that as good as Talbot has been, he probably won't bail them out as much as Henrik can.

That being said, its 3 in 4 nights again right here. And Henrik has had his issues with the Bruins the past year or so, and Columbus is playing well. So, though I was expecting Henrik tomorrow and Talbot Friday, I'm not as shocked as I thought I would be.

I've heard that theory before and I don't buy it.
Cam came in to clean up last night in a game where Hank was not sharp. The team didn't suddenly start playing because Cam was in goal.
These are professionals and they expect Cam to play well when he is in there and, most times, he does.
I think that this argument is used to protect Hank's reputation. Cam is not Hank and never will be, but on a given night, Cam may play better and it has nothing to do with the team picking up their game to protect the "weak" goalie.

Pete
01-14-2015, 04:34 PM
Lots of people think teams are sharper with a backup in net. Don't really think it has anything to do with Lundqvist.

RichieNextel305
01-14-2015, 05:10 PM
Lots of people think teams are sharper with a backup in net. Don't really think it has anything to do with Lundqvist.

I agree, and that's what I meant to say. I just meant us specifically, given that Lundqvist is actually a Ranger.

Dunny
01-16-2015, 01:31 PM
I know Kevin Hayes provides some kind of value, but it has to be on the wing. I just can't watch this guy, with zero proffesional experience, try to learn on the job here. What a shit show.

thes5
01-16-2015, 01:54 PM
I know Kevin Hayes provides some kind of value, but it has to be on the wing. I just can't watch this guy, with zero proffesional experience, try to learn on the job here. What a shit show.

Yes, he stinks at face offs, but the rest of his game is fitting of a #3 center. Plus, he is only going to get better.

Phil in Absentia
01-16-2015, 01:58 PM
Yes, he stinks at face offs, but the rest of his game is fitting of a #3 center. Plus, he is only going to get better.

Face-offs, I'd argue, are among the most important aspects of a third-line center.

AmericanJesus
01-16-2015, 02:20 PM
Face-offs, I'd argue, are among the most important aspects of a third-line center.

It's only been 1 and 2/3rd games, but Miller was 12 of 23 combined against Boston and Islanders (52.2%). He's 45% on the season, which isn't good, but still better than Stepan (42.4%) and Hayes (33.2%). Just wish he brought the same game at center as he does on the wing.

Phil in Absentia
01-16-2015, 02:32 PM
It's only been 1 and 2/3rd games, but Miller was 12 of 23 combined against Boston and Islanders (52.2%). He's 45% on the season, which isn't good, but still better than Stepan (42.4%) and Hayes (33.2%). Just wish he brought the same game at center as he does on the wing.

Ultimately, I still think he's better suited at wing, but he seems to be a player who can play both positions as needed, similar to Dubinsky.