PDA

View Full Version : [Lavoie] Lombardi Refuses AHL Assignment; On Unconditional Waivers For Contract Termination

Phil in Absentia
10-10-2014, 11:02 AM
:tweet: @renlavoietva: Matthew Lombardi will be put on unconditional waivers by the Rangers. He refused to go in the AHL. He'll probably go back in Switzerland.

NYR2711
10-10-2014, 11:05 AM
Does this open up another contract spot then? I guess this will also end his NHL career.

Phil in Absentia
10-10-2014, 11:07 AM
Does this open up another contract spot then? I guess this will also end his NHL career.

Yes, and it makes sense for him to refuse the deal anyway. He can make a lot more, and probably have a better quality of life playing overseas again, even if it means his NHL career is over.

AmericanJesus
10-10-2014, 11:10 AM
Yes, and it makes sense for him to refuse the deal anyway. He can make a lot more, and probably have a better quality of life playing overseas again, even if it means his NHL career is over.

Thought he had a two year $700k per one way contact. Think he makes that outside of the KHL?

Phil in Absentia
10-10-2014, 11:14 AM
Thought he had a two year $700k per one way contact. Think he makes that outside of the KHL?

$1.6M over two years, so $800K per season with the Rangers.

I'd imagine he has to be making at least that, or close to it, playing with Genève-Servette.

I can't seem to find any financial figures on the one-year deal he signed with them last season though.

Pete
10-10-2014, 11:26 AM
Plus he's living in Switzerland...

Kevin
10-10-2014, 11:29 AM
Good for him, good for us. Worth the flyer that we took on him but obviously it wasn't going to work.

Slobberknocker
10-10-2014, 12:25 PM
Plus he's living in Switzerland...

i went to a conference in Geneva last year. there were tons of Russian women lounging around the hotel at night.

Cash or Czech?
10-10-2014, 12:37 PM
Woulda been six of one, half dozen of the other between him and Peter Mueller. He did virtually nothing in preseason. See ya.

Jules
10-10-2014, 12:57 PM
It's hard to find concrete numbers for Swiss League salaries, but I see some people mentioning elsewhere that Swiss League star players can make up to a million dollars a year and on average it's about half of that for imports. Either way, if you can choose between riding a bus to Bridgeport or having to play in Rockford, IL for $700k a year or a bus to Davos and living in the Alps while being a star in that league for $300-500k, that's a no brainer.

RichieNextel305
10-10-2014, 08:58 PM
Not a bad look at the price he got. Was worth the look. If it didn't work, no harm, no foul. Unfortunately for him, he fell to injury and on a team loaded with depth, he wasn't going to make it after that.

Good luck in Europe.