PDA

View Full Version : [Brooks] Why the Rangers Will Raise the Stanley Cup This Year

Gorilla Salad
10-07-2014, 08:09 PM
There’s a sense of excitement, maybe even some destiny, among these Rangers; a sense of confidence and inner belief. No team other than the Kings has won more than the six playoff rounds the Blueshirts have over the last three seasons; no team in the East — not Boston and not Pittsburgh — has won as many. It’s L.A. 10, Chicago and the Blueshirts 6. Of course, the Kings (2012 and 2014) and Blackhawks (2013) have won Cups over that span.

Last season was no fluke. The Rangers are in with the Big Boys, presenting a core that essentially remained intact over the summer. They are strong at the back end, resourceful, fast and talented up front, unsurpassed in goal, and superior behind the bench.

The Rangers are built to push both the puck and the pace, with speed and talent trumping size and strength in the personnel selection process. The Blueshirts’ talent guys (Mats Zuccarello, for example) can win one-on-ones and get in effectively on the forecheck (Chris Kreider, for one), but this is not a ground-and-pound operation.

The Blueshirts are strongest and deepest on the wing. Rick Nash, under the radar just the way he likes it during camp, is fitter and seems more determined and comfortable trying to get to the inside. A streak scorer most certainly good for 30-33 goals at a minimum, the Rangers need No. 61 to set a physical tone the way he did late last year upon his first visit to Columbus as a Ranger.

The heart of the team beats through the Blueshirts’ Blue Line Big Three — Ryan McDonagh, Dan Girardi and Marc Staal — who are sturdy in their own end and can all make the first pass to trigger the breakout, freed of instructions to chip it out and chip it in.

Six deep, the Rangers are very strong but when and if they have to dip into the blue line reserve, there’s likely to be trouble.

http://nypost.com/2014/10/07/rangers-preview-why-theyll-raise-the-stanley-cup-this-year/

--

Uncle Larry with a very bold prediction for the Broadway Blueshirts!

LETS GO RANGERS!

Morphinity
10-07-2014, 08:34 PM
God, I certainly hope so.

Dunny
10-07-2014, 09:37 PM
Let's fucking go. I ready to go all in emotionally.

Shane Falco
10-07-2014, 09:38 PM
Awww yeah, I can't wait for this board to get all tense and combative.

Fuck I missed hockey.

NYRangers92
10-07-2014, 09:43 PM
My body is ready

EdMc28
10-07-2014, 09:49 PM
If we won it at home I probably wouldn't make it home.

NYRangers92
10-07-2014, 09:53 PM
Why would you even want to leave

Gunnar Stahl
10-07-2014, 09:55 PM
Dont break out the pitchforks but I think we take some steps back this year. We just lost too many key guys, on top of Stepan being out long term.

Playoffs? Yes, I think so. Cup... I just dont see it.

Myusername
10-07-2014, 10:05 PM
Yeah, our weakness down in my middle is going to be an Achilles heel the whole season, even when Stepan's back. Hayes might make it better, but probably not this season.

Still, I like our chances in the playoffs. We aren't going to dominate any teams though. If we win it'll probably be a battle till the end.

SaveByRichter35
10-07-2014, 10:49 PM
Yeah, our weakness down in my middle is going to be an Achilles heel the whole season, even when Stepan's back. Hayes might make it better, but probably not this season.

Still, I like our chances in the playoffs. We aren't going to dominate any teams though. If we win it'll probably be a battle till the end.

That's the only way this team knows how to win anyways. They never make it easy on themselves.

Chasm
10-08-2014, 12:53 AM
Finally season is here. Cant wait anymore

Hornet
10-08-2014, 01:23 AM
Well I can see us getting to the Conference Finals again if Lundqvist stands on his head and we get some timely scoring as in years past. We have a very solid team - not spectacular - that can get the job done. They showed that last year.

Like others, I am also worried about the situation in the middle. St. Louis is experienced enough to play center for 10 games, but what happens if someone else gets hurt - like Brassard or Stepan again? What if Nash's struggles continue and it gets really bad with him - 2 goals in 20 games or something to that effect? Would he waive his NMC and accept a trade to Carolina for Eric Staal?

MacTruck
10-08-2014, 01:48 AM
I think a rush of young players could be the difference maker this year and for years to come. The big thing will be the continual development in our system with players like the Hagelin, Stepan McDonagh, Kreider, Zuccarello, Staal, Girardi, and Lundqvist. If the talent of Duclair, Hayes, Miller, Fast, Buchnevich, and Skjei and even comes close to that, we're going to be in good shape for a long time. This team has been built from the ground up, not bought, and it's been a lot of fun the past 3 seasons.

H-Dreamer
10-08-2014, 02:07 AM
We have a shot, though I am njot getting my hopes up to much just yet. (Then again, I propably won't until we're one win away from winning it all :D)

But be prepared for the inevitable struggle in November/December. It will happen, like it does every year.

Valriera
10-08-2014, 08:32 AM
While I don't think the Cup is anything more than a minor chance this year (I'd say we're one of maybe 6 teams that could win, probably the lowest chance out of all of those), I definitely think this team is way better than all the writers are giving them credit for. I said it in another thread but this team is frickin' fast. Our speed last year made the Canadiens look slow, and I think we're tons faster this year. I don't know if we win the cup but I would bet we make it to the ECF again. That would be fun :)

Future
10-08-2014, 09:34 AM
It's never fair to predict a Cup win, because there are just too many factors that go into that.

However, top to bottom, I think this team is built better than it was last year. I think Boyle on the PP is underappreciated and the loss of Richards and Stralman is way over-valued. Marty being comfortable to start the season and Nash - assuming his brain isn't all mashed potatoes already - will have another good year. Boyle will be tough to replace, but I'd rather have the youth/skill/speed that we added than a guy like him.

On top of all that, the East is still really weak, probably weaker than last year. It's there for the taking.

Pete
10-08-2014, 10:36 AM
I wrote this in another thread, but it applies, so I'll just paste.

There are far too many question marks to say that right now.

Boyle, and therefore Staal are question marks. The entire bottom 6 aside from Moore and maybe Glass, as well. They're re-treads and unproven rookies.

Special teams is a question mark, losing Callahan, B.Boyle, Stralman and Stepan being hurt.

I'm not saying all the additions will perform poorly. I doubt that is the case. But it's impossible to count a team with so many question marks as a favorite.

JOHN
10-08-2014, 11:03 AM
No matter where they are, come trade deadline they need to make a move. Not all of the depth players they brought in will work out and I think the center position will be a really unescapable issue, even when Stepan comes back. They're going to need to get stronger down the middle.

NYR2711
10-08-2014, 11:09 AM
My only concern is going to be face-offs and penalty killing. IMO, losing Boyle is the only major hit this team took, but he did a lot for this team. Step being out witll hurt the first month to 2 months, pending on how quickly he does come back and can get into game shape. We replaced Stralman with Boyle, which I think we got a better player in that one. If Malone or Duclair can replicate Pouliots points, that will help out as well. Miller is the main question mark for me. I hope he can turn it on for us. If he can, we will be in good shape.

Valriera
10-08-2014, 01:59 PM
My only concern is going to be face-offs and penalty killing. IMO, losing Boyle is the only major hit this team took, but he did a lot for this team. Step being out witll hurt the first month to 2 months, pending on how quickly he does come back and can get into game shape. We replaced Stralman with Boyle, which I think we got a better player in that one. If Malone or Duclair can replicate Pouliots points, that will help out as well. Miller is the main question mark for me. I hope he can turn it on for us. If he can, we will be in good shape.

I think a lot hinges on Miller too. He's got offensive talent but as a player, it's never quite materialized. I think if he focuses a little more on being physical (he's been crushing guys in preseason so far) then that might be better than the limited offense he'll be able to provide in the playoffs, regardless of what happens in the regular season.

Future
10-08-2014, 02:26 PM
I think a lot hinges on Miller too. He's got offensive talent but as a player, it's never quite materialized. I think if he focuses a little more on being physical (he's been crushing guys in preseason so far) then that might be better than the limited offense he'll be able to provide in the playoffs, regardless of what happens in the regular season.
I agree with that, but I think having a regular role on the club will help Miller more than anything. He's never really been able to get into any sort of rhythm or anything like that.

SaveByRichter35
10-08-2014, 07:00 PM
Gotta stay healthy. Hopefully Stepan is the first and last setback as far as major injuries go this season. If we can stay healthy I feel very confident in what this team can accomplish.

momentum
10-08-2014, 07:35 PM
It's true...you can almost smell it in the air....the cup is close....REACH OUT AND GRAB IT NOW BOYS!!