PDA

View Full Version : Article: Can Brass Raise His Game to Another Level?

Slobberknocker
10-03-2014, 09:43 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/rangers/rangers-derick-brassard-draws-top-line-duties-article-1.1961722

“Even if Step was in, personally I would want to take the next step in my game,” Brassard, 27, said Thursday afternoon in Greenburgh while preparing for Friday night’s home preseason match against the Chicago Blackhawks.

“But now that Step is not there, I think there’s pressure on all 12 forwards who dress next week in St. Louis (for the regular-season opener) to step up, and it’s even more important for the four centers.”

Brassard said he doesn’t wish to lay claim to the No. 1 center tag, even though he likely will start the season between speedster Chris Kreider and returning leading scorer Mats Zuccarello. He prefers to think of Alain Vigneault’s system as favorable because its balance means anyone can be the top center on any night.

In fact, despite Brassard already being a staple on the power play and at even strength, Vigneault is about to heap even more on his plate by adding him to the penalty kill.

--

Leonard writes a decent piece here. Looking at Brass's stat's, he's 27 now and has never scored more than 20. rough calc looks like a 1/2 point a game player.

my question is whether he can push his game up into the 60 point level or is he is what he is at this point?

I'll go on record that I like this kid. Good thing about him is that he seems to hit the points sheet with the same regularity in the playoffs that he does in the regular season.

I'd like him to be a bit less streaky though.

Pete
10-03-2014, 09:53 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/rangers/rangers-derick-brassard-draws-top-line-duties-article-1.1961722

Leonard writes a decent piece here. Looking at Brass's stat's, he's 27 now and has never scored more than 20. rough calc looks like a 1/2 point a game player.

my question is whether he can push his game up into the 60 point level or is he is what he is at this point?

I'll go on record that I like this kid. Good thing about him is that he seems to hit the points sheet with the same regularity in the playoffs that he does in the regular season.

I'd like him to be a bit less streaky though.I think he's god 3 more years of prime production before he tails off. I think he can be a 60 point guy, his issue is consistency, and ice time, whoch he'll get more of this year.

momentum
10-03-2014, 10:38 AM
Brass should be able to be a 60 point guy based on skill and talent.

leetchy2
10-03-2014, 11:22 AM
I hope AV does NOT add Brass to the penalty kill. One blocked shot in the ankle would completely deplete our center roster.

Mike
10-03-2014, 11:39 AM
I hope AV does NOT add Brass to the penalty kill. One blocked shot in the ankle would completely deplete our center roster.

He can get hit/hurt at any time. I'd rather not tire him out during a game, and for the season on the pk. Killing penalties is brutal. Not sure how many realize how tiring it can be. Especially if you get stuck out there for more than :30

Vodka Drunkenski
10-03-2014, 11:55 AM
The PK definitely takes a toll, a lot of start and stop, back and forth

Mike
10-03-2014, 12:02 PM
The PK definitely takes a toll, a lot of start and stop, back and forth

Ie moving your feet. There's no gliding on the pk

Vodka Drunkenski
10-03-2014, 12:05 PM
Exactly

Mike
10-03-2014, 12:11 PM
And the way this league is built now, you need your top players to have legs in the 3rd. Majority of the games will be tight in the 3rd period. Not just for the Rangers, but for everyone. Another reason to get bigger and stronger up and down your line up

fletch
10-03-2014, 03:18 PM
Brassard has got the talent and the opportunity to take the next step forward... I'm expecting it to happen this season.

Myusername
10-03-2014, 03:22 PM
He certainly has the talent, but I don't know if I see him ever scoring over 60 points. Too inconsistent

!br-avery!
10-03-2014, 07:39 PM
Really hope he's ready ,if not we are in trouble

jsm7302
10-04-2014, 08:01 AM
The line of Zuccs- Brass- Kreider could be HUGE!! Im pumped.