PDA

View Full Version : [Brooks] Puzzle for Rangers: If Malone Can Play, Where Does Nash Fit?

Gorilla Salad
09-18-2014, 11:29 AM
It is believed the coach will move Marty St. Louis into what was Nash’s spot on the right with Stepan and Kreider. The preliminary plan calls for Nash to shift back to left wing to replace the departed Pouliot on the line with Brassard and Zuccarello.

But what if Ryan Malone, a more physical player than Nash and more of a net presence in the mold of Pouliot (but, for the first eight years of his career, far more dependable and a significantly more productive player) is actually the better fit? What if Malone, fighting for his NHL career after a lousy season with Tampa Bay and issues with the law, excels during camp … as he should if he has anything reasonable left?

What then for Nash, who lined up at left wing for only six regular-season games last year and for just nine during his first season as a Ranger in 2012-13? Nash did play the left side in the club’s first 10 playoff games last year while Kreider was sidelined. If memory serves, that didn’t turn out so well for No. 61.

Nash barely played with Brassard last year, sharing just 45:58 of even-strength time, according to the website hockeyanalysis.com. Two years ago they were together for 63:33. As a Ranger, Nash has recorded five even-strength points (2-3) skating with Brassard. The partnership was productive in Columbus in 2010-11, so maybe there is a base of chemistry from which to work.

Again, though, this would be Nash going back to the left after a couple of seasons during which it has been clear he is more comfortable on the right.

Again, however, if Malone — who could start on the fourth line with Dominic Moore and Tanner Glass — proves to be a physical, forechecking complement to Brassard and Zuccarello, would the Rangers consider shifting Nash to right wing on the third line with left wing Carl Hagelin and fill in the blank (J.T. Miller, Matt Lombardi, Oscar Lindberg, Kevin Hayes) in the middle?

http://nypost.com/2014/09/18/finding-linemates-for-nash-malone-first-order-of-business-for-rangers/

--

Interesting article. But it seems things always have a way of working themselves out.

NYR2711
09-18-2014, 11:36 AM
I would rather see MSL with Zucc and Brassard. Nash works better with Step IMO. I also feel that Malone would be better on the third line working with Miller. He could give Miller that veteran help and work with him this season.

Pete
09-18-2014, 11:38 AM
I would rather see MSL with Zucc and Brassard. Nash works better with Step IMO. I also feel that Malone would be better on the third line working with Miller. He could give Miller that veteran help and work with him this season.

That line would be too small and soft. Brassard/Zucc worked because Puliot was a puck retriever and knew how to hold the puck to make a play, and be a big body. Malone can do that, he just isn't as fast as Pouliot.

NYR2711
09-18-2014, 11:41 AM
I just think Zucc has great passing to set up MSL better than anyone else on the team. I am just looking points wise I guess.

Phil in Absentia
09-18-2014, 11:51 AM
On the surface this appears as a negative, but is it really? For this to occur, for Nash to "fall" to the third line, this would mean Malone would have to have found the game that made him such a successful and valuable player in the first place, no? And with Nash on your third line, good luck line matching against the Rangers in any given game. Most teams have a decent/great top D pairing, and sometimes have a pretty successful second pair as well. Third pairings? Almost always makeshift, and almost always the weakest players on the team.

Having Nash on the third line would be a matching nightmare for opposing teams, because you can only play containment against one, maybe two lines before you are sacrificing your lower end, less dependable players against a thirty-goal scorer who happens to be on the teams' third line.

That's depth.

Shanahammer
09-18-2014, 12:01 PM
On the surface this appears as a negative, but is it really? For this to occur, for Nash to "fall" to the third line, this would mean Malone would have to have found the game that made him such a successful and valuable player in the first place, no? And with Nash on your third line, good luck line matching against the Rangers in any given game. Most teams have a decent/great top D pairing, and sometimes have a pretty successful second pair as well. Third pairings? Almost always makeshift, and almost always the weakest players on the team.

Having Nash on the third line would be a matching nightmare for opposing teams, because you can only play containment against one, maybe two lines before you are sacrificing your lower end, less dependable players against a thirty-goal scorer who happens to be on the teams' third line.

That's depth.

The only problem I'd have is low ice-time for Ricky

Phil in Absentia
09-18-2014, 12:03 PM

Would that matter though, provided all three lines are productive? Does it really matter that Nash may only see 17 or 18 minutes a game instead of 20 so long as all three lines are scoring/producing and the team is winning?

Future
09-18-2014, 12:05 PM
I still think MSL would be a better fit on Hagelin's line, hopefully with Miller, where those two can use their speed to draw defenders, leaving a lot of open room for MSL.

Pete
09-18-2014, 12:08 PM

AV is pretty good about his top 3 lines getting a similar amount of ES/TOI. Last year, the top 9 TOI leader was Richards with 14:58 and the low was Pouliot with 11:29, but next lowest was Brassard with 13:14. SO even if Nash got, say 13:00 a game, that just about 1 shift less at ES than last year (he averaged 14:01 ES/TOI). You'd expect Nash to also get shorthanded and powerplay time (although he's woefully unproductive with the man advantage).

AmericanJesus
09-18-2014, 12:21 PM
This would be a great problem to have and we can worry about it if and when.

Phil in Absentia
09-18-2014, 12:22 PM
I still think MSL would be a better fit on Hagelin's line, hopefully with Miller, where those two can use their speed to draw defenders, leaving a lot of open room for MSL.

That may still happen. Few lines, if any, survive the full 82 game season.

Captain Clutch
09-18-2014, 12:35 PM
Nash on LW with Brass and Zucc.

DiJock94
09-18-2014, 03:59 PM
Nash on LW with Brass and Zucc.

Yes and kreider on LW with Stepan and St Louis

Captain Clutch
09-18-2014, 04:05 PM
Yes and kreider on LW with Stepan and St Louis

Pretty much, yeah.

torontonyr
09-18-2014, 04:13 PM
Where does Hayes fit into our equation? He came to us because he couldn't immediately crack Chicago's top six, so I'm inclined to believe he'll slot in there somehow.

Captain Clutch
09-18-2014, 04:29 PM
Where does Hayes fit into our equation? He came to us because he couldn't immediately crack Chicago's top six, so I'm inclined to believe he'll slot in there somehow.

They're using him as a center in camp

torontonyr
09-18-2014, 04:32 PM
They're using him as a center in camp

Ah, that makes sense. One has to figure then that Miller doesn't make the cut.

Phil in Absentia
09-18-2014, 05:31 PM

He came to us because he couldn't Crack Chicago's roster, period. There was no room up the middle, or really even on wing for him in a meaningful role.

Brooks and a few others have reported (earlier today) that the Rangers see him "in the middle", and he's basically going into camp competing with Lombardi and Miller for the third-line center position (with Moore in the 4C spot).

Ah, that makes sense. One has to figure then that Miller doesn't make the cut.

Maybe. Maybe not. Both are going into camp "in the middle", but Miller has played LW in both the NHL and AHL, and Hayes has also played wing, so they could both still make the same roster, even if one ends up on the wing.

Cash or Czech?
09-18-2014, 05:37 PM
Just keep Nash on the right side with Brassard and shift Zuccarello to the left. He doesn't really play 'a side' as he goes where the play takes him anyway. Zucc is much more of a playmaker so playing on his strong side as opposed to his off wing gives him an extra split second to make that pass. Putting Nash with our top players with chemistry last season can do well to revive his scoring.

Vodka Drunkenski
09-18-2014, 06:03 PM
I don't see it as a problem at all unless you call depth a problem.

Pete
09-18-2014, 06:07 PM
For years we didn't have enough top 6 wings. Having too many is a good thing.

torontonyr
09-18-2014, 06:09 PM
Never once did I say it was a bad thing. Simply inquiring as to Hayes' shot at the roster, given his likely ambitions.

Gorilla Salad
09-18-2014, 06:36 PM

Looks like we may have a ton of potentially good things all over the ice. Can't wait to see how this all unfolds. I hope the kids get a real good look and make the most of it. It's no secret that we have some potential break out young talent on the roster, I also hope that we don't ruin some of these "on the cusp" kids by burying them in Hartford. Can you say "big time trade chips?" maybe?

Pete
09-18-2014, 06:44 PM
Never once did I say it was a bad thing. Simply inquiring as to Hayes' shot at the roster, given his likely ambitions.

Why would you assume the non quoted comments were addressing your point?

torontonyr
09-18-2014, 07:08 PM
Why would you assume the non quoted comments were addressing your point?

Ah, true enough. I just figured that you/others were flowing with conversation. That's on me.

MacTruck
09-18-2014, 07:17 PM
Liking what I'm reading. I think Kreider-Stepan-St. Louis and Nash-Brassard-Zuccarello is the right top 6. The open spots on the roster are 3C, 3RW, and 4RW. I think Malone ends up the 13th to start the season.

CreaseCrusader91
09-18-2014, 07:17 PM
Kreider-Stepan-MSL
Malone-Brassard-Zuccarello
Miller-Hayes-Nash
Hagelin-Moore-Stempniak

I think this could be somewhat interesting. Nice depth and balance throughout, and fourth line would be pretty decent.

Could sub Lombardi for Stempniak too.

Drew a Penalty
09-18-2014, 07:25 PM
Kreider-Stepan-MSL
Malone-Brassard-Zuccarello
Miller-Hayes-Nash
Hagelin-Moore-Stempniak

I think this could be somewhat interesting. Nice depth and balance throughout, and fourth line would be pretty decent.

Could sub Lombardi for Stempniak too.

Pretty much what I'd do, but just with different left wings. I'd go

Hagelin - Stepan - St. Louis
Kreider - Brassard - Zuccarello
Miller - Hayes - Nash
Malone/Glass - Moore - Stempniak

CreaseCrusader91
09-18-2014, 07:26 PM
Pretty much what I'd do, but just with different left wings. I'd go

Hagelin - Stepan - St. Louis
Kreider - Brassard - Zuccarello
Miller - Hayes - Nash
Malone/Glass - Moore - Stempniak
I could dig that. I doubt Hagelin ends up on 4th, so yours is more realistic.

torontonyr
09-18-2014, 07:32 PM

I think Stempniak on the fourth line is sort of strange as he's not very physical at all.

cousin
09-18-2014, 07:36 PM
I agree with the view that if malone makes the team it would suggest he's up to his top potential and that can only be good for the rangers.

Slobberknocker
09-18-2014, 08:45 PM

this!

one thing to look at. this is AV's second year. Every coach wants to put his type of guys into his system. you have to believe AV has input on these decisions. Given a blank check this team would probably look vastly different but in reality this will take time.

there is never anything wrong with competition.

Slobberknocker
09-18-2014, 09:00 PM
ill say one thing in regards to this thread. it's sort of ludacris. nash is a top 6 winger. regardless of his playoff performance. for brooks to even suggest that malone is going to supplant him is laughable.

this is why i view the press as communists. they really are subversive from within. i mean hell... they just had physicals today. not even had a formal practice on the ice and this shithead is already writing this crap....

i guess stanley cup finals wasn't up to his expectations last year.

Vodka Drunkenski
09-18-2014, 09:03 PM
There's not much to write about. I don't see anything wrong with writing this. It sparked a few pages of convo for us

Future
09-19-2014, 09:12 AM
I think it's more likely that he's on the 4th than on the 1st.

Stempniak could very easily end up getting cut from this team, though he'd be a nice guy to keep around as your 13th b/c you could pretty much throw him anywhere in the lineup.

Phil in Absentia
09-19-2014, 09:19 AM
Players can't be cut in the NHL. If Stempniak didn't make it he'd have to be placed on waivers and assigned to Hartford. The Rangers can't cut him and just walk away from his contract.

G1000
09-19-2014, 09:20 AM
ill say one thing in regards to this thread. it's sort of ludacris. nash is a top 6 winger. regardless of his playoff performance. for brooks to even suggest that malone is going to supplant him is laughable.

this is why i view the press as communists. they really are subversive from within. i mean hell... they just had physicals today. not even had a formal practice on the ice and this shithead is already writing this crap....

i guess stanley cup finals wasn't up to his expectations last year.

This is how you know you made it as a celebrity - when your spelling of a word replaces the original.

It's not ludicrous - Malone is the logical replacement for Pouliot. Nash can play that game, but he's probably better in other places.

What's fun here is how crazy big this team has gotten. A third line where JT Miller is the smallest guy is a brutishly big third line.

Phil in Absentia
09-19-2014, 09:28 AM
This is how you know you made it as a celebrity - when your spelling of a word replaces the original.

It's not ludicrous - Malone is the logical replacement for Pouliot. Nash can play that game, but he's probably better in other places.

What's fun here is how crazy big this team has gotten. A third line where JT Miller is the smallest guy is a brutishly big third line.

This is true. They've added quite a bit of size without really sacrificing speed, which is something they failed to do in past attempts to get bigger. Malone isn't exactly fast, but isn't really slow either, and is listed at 6'4, 220lbs. Hayes is 6'5, 225lbs, Haggerty is 6'0, 200lbs, Glass is 6'1, 210lbs, etc.

In short (all pun intended), we're seeing a lot more 6's and fewer 5's to start the year.

Future
09-19-2014, 10:16 AM
Players can't be cut in the NHL. If Stempniak didn't make it he'd have to be placed on waivers and assigned to Hartford. The Rangers can't cut him and just walk away from his contract.
I just mean cut in terms of doesn't make the NYR roster.

Phil in Absentia
09-19-2014, 10:19 AM
I just mean cut in terms of doesn't make the NYR roster.

My mistake, then. I just associate the term with the definition of it in sports like football, where you can actually walk away from a contract.

Future
09-19-2014, 10:55 AM
This is true. They've added quite a bit of size without really sacrificing speed, which is something they failed to do in past attempts to get bigger. Malone isn't exactly fast, but isn't really slow either, and is listed at 6'4, 220lbs. Hayes is 6'5, 225lbs, Haggerty is 6'0, 200lbs, Glass is 6'1, 210lbs, etc.

In short (all pun intended), we're seeing a lot more 6's and fewer 5's to start the year.
There are still a lot of small guys in the top 6, who are probably going to see the most ice time. Steps, Hags, Brassard, Zucc, MSL are all going to spend time on the top 2 lines, leaving Kreider, Nash, and Hayes/Malone as the only top 9 guys with any size.

Valriera
09-19-2014, 03:30 PM

That's depth.
Yes. Say what you want about Nash's playoffs but the guy is going to score if he has to play against 3rd pair D all game. This would be matching hell for the other team, something the Rangers were really good at last year.

Respecttheblue
09-20-2014, 02:48 PM
I guess AV has the difficult but preferable job of picking from among a supposedly deep talent pool, and hopefully he gets enough looks at different combos during camp to see:
who's playing well, who isn't;
figure out who might round into form and who might not;
which combinations seem to work (he said in the interview the other day (http://blueshirtsunited.com/videos/6610/vigneault-discusses-day-1-of-training-camp#.VB3LNEu9tg0) he wants to check out a lot of different combinations, including some he didn't really have the time to explore last year)

And maybe the decision comes down to the on-the-bubble players showing him why AV should keep them up, and maybe some underperform in camp but still get early season playing time because they are on an NHL contract (and play themselves off the team a la Taylor Pyatt/Aaron Asham)

I wouldn't' read too much into his line combos from day to day as they are going to change as he gets diff. looks, and even "sneaks" some guys in from the C group before he sends them home this weekend.

Puck Head
09-20-2014, 02:50 PM
Kredier- Stepan- MSL
Malone- Miller- Nash
Hagelin- Brassard- Zuccc

That's pretty solid balance there, could swap Hagelin or Malone.
Really 3 kick ass 2nd lines.
Matchups against us would be difficult.

If Hayes were to bump Miller, that line would be around 20' tall :)

DiJock94
09-20-2014, 04:04 PM
Kredier- Stepan- MSL
Malone- Miller- Nash
Hagelin- Brassard- Zuccc

AV said he's trying Nash on the left. Probably because there's too much depth on the right. I'm guessing it would look a little more like this.

Kreider Stepan St. Louis
Nash Brassard Zuccarello
Hagelin Hayes Miller
Malone Moore Stempniak
[Glass - Lombardi]

torontonyr
09-20-2014, 04:37 PM
Stempniak on the fourth makes me cringe.

Drew a Penalty
09-20-2014, 04:44 PM
Stempniak on the fourth makes me cringe.

Why is it that you keep saying that? Stempniak isn't a physical presence, but what better option do you have?

fletch
09-21-2014, 05:21 AM
I see we've gone from wondering whether Malone could make/help the Rangers to promoting Malone to the second line over Nash.

Fun to speculate about.... and then I realize that this would involve Malone being a more valued, consistent performer as a second line LW than Rick Nash.

Sorry, don't buy it.

momentum
09-21-2014, 06:24 AM
This is a luxury problem if it ever takes place.
Yeah...what if Malone plays as good as at the peak of his career so we have to "find a spot" for Nash. All it would lead to is our team being deeper and more dangerous.

Pete
09-21-2014, 09:35 AM
I think the article is more referring to where Malone would fit, speculating that Malone might fit on a line with Brassard and Zuccarello, shocking considering that we've also discussed that here...:rolleyes:

So that said, if your top 4 winger are Kreider/MSL and Zucc/Malone, that squeezes Nash into the bottom 6.

Personally, I'd have to think that any line Nash is on with be the 1st or 2nd by default. If his linemates happen to be, say, Miller and Hagelin, then they might get a bit less ES TOI, but Nash would receive more special teams minutes.

Hagelin would get PK minutes, but he stinks on the PP.

torontonyr
09-21-2014, 01:01 PM
Why is it that you keep saying that? Stempniak isn't a physical presence, but what better option do you have?

Fast/Lombardi(speed on Forecheck), Lindberg.

Stempniak doesn't fit the fourth line.

Drew a Penalty
09-21-2014, 01:04 PM

In what way are they better than Stempniak? Stempniak isn't slow and your initial complaint was a lack of physicality which none of the players you mentioned address. Stempniak probably fits the fourth line better than those 3 players.

RichieNextel305
09-21-2014, 01:16 PM
Stempniak is a flexible player in the sense he can probably be inserted in any place in the lineup and not look terribly out of place.

Pete
09-21-2014, 02:58 PM

Kind of agree.

Vodka Drunkenski
09-21-2014, 03:28 PM
Stempniak will be this years Pyatt

RichieNextel305
09-21-2014, 04:37 PM
Highly disagree there. I think Stempniak is actually flying under the radar right now. I think he will be fine and have a nice season here.

Respecttheblue
09-21-2014, 04:50 PM
TB almost H, I'd almost rather see AV get these guys used again to playing with a variety of different line mates in the first half of the season.
Obviously benefit #1 is it would give him a few more ideas of who can play successfully with whom and what the interesting or not so interesting outcomes might be.

I bet there's more than a few surprises of combos that might work well that one might not otherwise have expected, and combos that don't end up working that one imagined would.

Also it gets them used to playing with each other in preparation for injuries that force new line combinations at the most inopportune moments.

This should be (obv. no guarantees) a playoff-bound team; let them have a little fun and see what some different line combos can do in the early regular season.

Pete
09-21-2014, 05:54 PM
Highly disagree there. I think Stempniak is actually flying under the radar right now. I think he will be fine and have a nice season here.

I don't see how a guy who was gifted a spot on Crosby's wing and did little with does anything here on our bottom 6.

RichieNextel305
09-21-2014, 05:58 PM
I'm just going off of his history. He has never been a guy who has played with guys who will boost his statline, aside from his 1/2 year in Pitt. last year. That being said, he has always consistently thrown up between 14 and about 20 goals per year. I don't see why he can't be someone who can walk in and continue that track record here. I'm not looking for 20. But if he can come in, help out maybe the 2nd unit on the PP as far as being a big RH shot and drop say...15 goals? I don't think that is really too far-fetched.

I'm not thinking Stempniak is going to come in and put up a career year. I just think he'll put up numbers like he has throughout his career. Really, it's just that I'm not expecting more or less from him in regard to his usual goal total.

Phil in Absentia
09-21-2014, 05:58 PM
I don't see how a guy who was gifted a spot on Crosby's wing and did little with does anything here on our bottom 6.

Plenty of good wingers have been given the opportunity to play with Crosby and have failed. Playing with star players is actually more difficult than it is easy, despite the talent level.

I wouldn't use that as a knock on a player like him. He may work, he may not, but his success (or lack of it) with Crosby isn't an indication of much of anything other than being one of many players who couldn't skate with him. There's a reason Dupuis and Kunitz have been constants there these last number of years. They're two of the only ones who work well with him.

Pete
09-21-2014, 06:01 PM
I'm just going off of his history. He has never been a guy who has played with guys who will boost his statline, aside from his 1/2 year in Pitt. last year. That being said, he has always consistently thrown up between 14 and about 20 goals per year. I don't see why he can't be someone who can walk in and continue that track record here. I'm not looking for 20. But if he can come in, help out maybe the 2nd unit on the PP as far as being a big RH shot and drop say...15 goals? I don't think that is really too far-fetched.

I'm not thinking Stempniak is going to come in and put up a career year. I just think he'll put up numbers like he has throughout his career. Really, it's just that I'm not expecting more or less from him in regard to his usual goal total.

Plenty of good wingers have been given the opportunity to play with Crosby and have failed. Playing with star players is actually more difficult than it is easy, despite the talent level.

I wouldn't use that as a knock on a player like him. He may work, he may not, but his success (or lack of it) with Crosby isn't an indication of much of anything other than being one of many players who couldn't skate with him. There's a reason Dupuis and Kunitz have been constants there these last number of years. They're two of the only ones who work well with him.

It's simply a matter of prime ice time, which he really won't be getting much of, here. If he's supplanting Nash, MSL, Kreider and Zuccarello, this team is in trouble.

He never scored 20 playing on anyone's 3rd line.

RichieNextel305
09-21-2014, 06:24 PM
I'm not thinking 20 when it comes to Stempniak. If people were, I think he could have fetched more coin on the open market and been signed up earlier than he was. He fits here because he can play a variety of roles, namely at special teams. He can play in a lot of roles for us here. He can get his 3rd line ice time at ES, but could also rack some points up on the PP. And he can also help kill penalties.

Again, I'm not saying I believe he'll have a nice season and tying that together with him having a career season. I just believe he'll come in, and hover around the same area he has his entire career as far as goals go. I think if he has 3rd ice time and gets looks on the PP, which he likely will on the 2nd unit because of his shot, he'll score some goals. Nothing major, just his norms. He'll be a good secondary option.

Vodka Drunkenski
09-21-2014, 06:37 PM
He'll be a regular scratch by Thanksgiving.

RichieNextel305
09-21-2014, 07:14 PM
I don't what else to say to that besides saying that I highly, highly disagree. Stempniak is a pretty good all-around player.

Pete
09-21-2014, 08:41 PM
I'm not thinking 20 when it comes to Stempniak. If people were, I think he could have fetched more coin on the open market and been signed up earlier than he was. He fits here because he can play a variety of roles, namely at special teams. He can play in a lot of roles for us here. He can get his 3rd line ice time at ES, but could also rack some points up on the PP. And he can also help kill penalties.

Again, I'm not saying I believe he'll have a nice season and tying that together with him having a career season. I just believe he'll come in, and hover around the same area he has his entire career as far as goals go. I think if he has 3rd ice time and gets looks on the PP, which he likely will on the 2nd unit because of his shot, he'll score some goals. Nothing major, just his norms. He'll be a good secondary option.

Yea but when it comes to special teams, hrs still not supplanting a top 4 wing. No more Richards on the point, a true D on the point. Nash, MSL, Kreider and Zuccarello are going to get PP time. I don't see where Stempniak fits.

Puck Head
09-21-2014, 10:32 PM
I'm reaching here, but just not seeing much future here for Fast, Lindberg, or Kristo.
Stepan, Brassard, Miller, and now Hayes seems to have jumped Lindberg on the depth chart.

lefty9
09-22-2014, 09:04 AM
Kredier- Stepan- MSL
Malone- Miller- Nash
Hagelin- Brassard- Zuccc

You really think that those lines are good, there's two questions marks on the second line and the third line is kind of small
When you add Haggelin

CreaseCrusader91
09-27-2014, 06:51 PM
I'm reaching here, but just not seeing much future here for Fast, Lindberg, or Kristo.
Stepan, Brassard, Miller, and now Hayes seems to have jumped Lindberg on the depth chart.
Stepan doesn't have a contract after this year. Miller needs to prove himself st NHL level as does Hayes. Lindberg has a cheap contract and NYR will keep him around for insurance IMO.

NYRangersFan
09-27-2014, 07:26 PM
It is looking something like this for the opener:
Malone Brassard Nash
Kreider Miller St.Louis
Hagelin Lombardi Zuccarello
Glass Moore Stempniak

Maybe Nash and St.Louis switches.

Pete
09-28-2014, 08:59 AM
Stepan doesn't have a contract after this year. Miller needs to prove himself st NHL level as does Hayes. Lindberg has a cheap contract and NYR will keep him around for insurance IMO.

Stepan doesn't have a contract...OK, what's that mean? Doubt he does anywhere.