PDA

View Full Version : Rangers to Use Chips in Jerseys to Track Player Shifts

Morphinity
09-17-2014, 04:23 PM
http://snyrangersblog.com/2014-15/read-the-rangers-will-wear-jerseys-with-computer-chips-this-season-to-track-movement/

Kinda buried in an article about ads in jerseys was this little nugget:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=461971

The team presidents also heard from several clubs including the New York Rangers who are planning to use jerseys this year that have computer chips built in. The chips will allow teams to more accurately track a player's speed and movements on the ice for use in advanced statistical analysis.

They already use an iPad app to give players their shifts for each game:
http://snyrangersblog.com/2014-15/alain-vigneault/recap-av-squad-episode-two/

On using tape [AV said], “it’s daily. We use it on an individual bases, by defense pairs, by lines, specialty units and the collective one that we do before the game. It’s a daily thing and constant thing and our players are always around it. We also have an app on their iPad that they go to, punch in their name and they have all of their shifts from the last game. It takes 5 minutes to download and they have all their shifts and we

http://snyrangersblog.com/rangers/read-glen-sather-and-former-rangers-on-the-video-technology-they-use/

Steve Eminger says that in the past it took the video guys a few days to put all of their shifts together for review and now they all exist on the iPad after the game. Eminger said that he watched his shifts frame by frame as well as in real time.

And apparently they added a "Director of Analytics" for this year:
http://snyrangersblog.com/2014-15/read-the-rangers-have-someone-with-analytics-in-their-title-working-for-themhow-the-team-views-them/

On the Rangers website, Jim Sullivan is listed as “Director, Player Care & Development / Analytics & Hockey Technology” in the section of “Hockey Club Personnel.”

In the Rangers 2012-13 media guide, Sullivan is listed as “video analyst.”
In the Rangers 2013-14 media guide, Sullivan is listed as “Director of Hockey Technology.”

Neat. Sounds like they're doing everything they can and aren't lagging behind or trying to play catchup.

Phil in Absentia
09-17-2014, 04:40 PM
MvsW actually covered this partially today in talking with Tyler Dellow and Steve Dangle about advanced statistics and their application. They were speaking about a soccer league in Europe that was tracking real-time speed of players as a means to gather even more intel on how best to deploy which players against others.

Good to see they're ahead of the curve, though. I think it was McKenzie who noted just a week ago or so that the only team left in the NHL that "absolutely does not" use AS is the Ducks.

Morphinity
09-17-2014, 04:53 PM
MvsW actually covered this partially today in talking with Tyler Dellow and Steve Dangle about advanced statistics and their application. They were speaking about a soccer league in Europe that was tracking real-time speed of players as a means to gather even more intel on how best to deploy which players against others.

Good to see they're ahead of the curve, though. I think it was McKenzie who noted just a week ago or so that the only team left in the NHL that "absolutely does not" use AS is the Ducks.

Yeah.

I mean, it's clear they have the whole package. I'm just happy to see they're using all available resources and not burying their heads in the sand. I would love to see how these apps work - like a behind-the-scenes thing - but that won't ever happen.

Pete
09-17-2014, 04:57 PM
In 3 years there's going to be no nuance in the game, at all. The iPad will tell you what line combinations will work, what line to put out at what point in the game.

Phil in Absentia
09-17-2014, 04:58 PM
Yeah, no doubt this is a proprietary system they're using. I'd love to see it too, but there's no way they'll make the knowledge public, or release it to anyone outside of that department.

Morphinity
09-17-2014, 05:00 PM
In 3 years there's going to be no nuance in the game, at all. The iPad will tell you what line combinations will work, what line to put out at what point in the game.
Okay, we'll see in 3 years. :)

Puck Head
09-17-2014, 05:52 PM
Yeah, no doubt this is a proprietary system they're using. I'd love to see it too, but there's no way they'll make the knowledge public, or release it to anyone outside of that department.

Fairly simple technology, and easy to deploy at home.
I'm wondering how they do this on the road though.

Mike
09-17-2014, 10:23 PM
Fairly simple technology, and easy to deploy at home.
I'm wondering how they do this on the road though.

A lot of line changes. A lot of too many men calls. Lol

NYR2711
09-18-2014, 12:37 PM
A lot of line changes. A lot of too many men calls. Lol

We already have this down pat.

Slobberknocker
09-18-2014, 10:07 PM
amazing to me. you look at that review of their practice facility in tarrytown and its so totally state of the art. should be a few more banners hanging in the rafters...

i do a lot of business in canada and in talking to the layman up there they always tell me how much respect they have for this coaching staff... AV in particular but in general as well.

skunkman
09-18-2014, 10:11 PM
Would that system work in my bedroom?

Morphinity
09-19-2014, 10:25 AM
Would that system work in my bedroom?

It's supposed to track movement.

Respecttheblue
09-19-2014, 10:49 PM

Yep. And we'll lose the Gretzky factor. Folks will be too consumed with skating around as fast as they can instead of skating to where the puck will be when they arrive.
Sometimes good skating is as much about strategy as it is about speed. Speed at the right time to the right place.

EDIT
Not to say there aren't plusses — I electronically review my bike rides and runs to see where I can improve, gain time etc., but I hope the matter of hockey IQ doesn't suffer in the quest to improve output.

fletch
09-20-2014, 06:23 AM
I like the progressive innovation for advanced stats on-the-ice. Can only help the team.

Imagine the stats that we could generate if we had the chips in street clothes for off-ice movements? Who would lead the team in visits to adult entertainment (bars, clubs, etc.) locations?

Captain Clutch
09-20-2014, 01:05 PM
I like the progressive innovation for advanced stats on-the-ice. Can only help the team.

Imagine the stats that we could generate if we had the chips in street clothes for off-ice movements? Who would lead the team in visits to adult entertainment (bars, clubs, etc.) locations?

They wish they had that when Fleury was playing