PDA

View Full Version : Article: Lundqvist: "I think we're contenders..."

Phil in Absentia
09-15-2014, 04:44 PM
“Of course you want to get back there, but you have to put your mind on training camp,” Lundqvist said following a pre-camp workout that included every veteran on the roster other than Dominic Moore, and sounding suspiciously like a fellow named John Tortorella.

“You have to be locked in from the get-go. Mindset is very important,” said the franchise goaltender. “It’s a hard, long season. We need to reset. We have to be ready to start over. You can’t get too far ahead. It is a process.”

“I definitely appreciate the season; I don’t always think about the end,” he said. “There were so many fun games in the playoffs, especially at home; those Game 7’s, winning those games was such a high.”

“I don’t think there’s any more pressure on us now than last year,” Lundqvist said. “I think we’re contenders. I thought we were contenders last year.”

http://nypost.com/2014/09/15/rangers-first-goal-dont-look-way-down-the-road/

Jules
09-15-2014, 06:05 PM
I completed the thread title in my head with "...because of me." Because ain't that the truth.

I think he has the right mindset, but I don't agree. There's more pressure this year to repeat last year's success and anything short of at least the conference final will be considered a disappointing run.

fletch
09-15-2014, 07:35 PM
He's saying the right things.

Every team starts each new season with the same record. The Rangers expectations SHOULD be higher than the average Eastern Conference team. But it's going to be a lot of work, luck avoiding injuries at the wrong time, and some puck luck to have another deep run.

Ranger Lothbrok
09-15-2014, 08:46 PM
He's saying the right things.

Every team starts each new season with the same record. The Rangers expectations SHOULD be higher than the average Eastern Conference team. But it's going to be a lot of work, luck avoiding injuries at the wrong time, and some puck luck to have another deep run.

These last two points are the big ones for me. I can't honestly call any of the recent teams lazy or uninspired. I genuinely felt that they were pushing themselves to the limit the whole time in the playoffs, and that they never really let their foot off the gas. Granted, there were a few regular season clunkers. Every team has them. But the effort level, when compared with the early 2000's era, is night and day. It's not the work part that worries me.

The injuries thing is massive for obvious reasons. But the puck luck, in particular, cannot be overstated IMO. In 2012, but for a few bounces, we were a Stanley Cup final team. We very likely wouldn't have gone the full 7 games in both of the first two rounds, and had gas left over to take down NJ. This time around, we were extraordinarily lucky a lot of the time. It seemed to run out against LA, but there's no question they were the better team anyway. We got goals where we needed them, bounces went our way, etc.. To me at least, winning a Cup is a 50/50 split between effort and luck.

SaveByRichter35
09-15-2014, 08:56 PM
Injuries are huge for sure. I agree that the team's work ethic has never been a question. Its being able to stay healthy at the right times. Nash this past post season(whether it had been concussion symptoms or vaginitis or whatever), Gaborik's shoulder problem a few years ago. Staying healthy is definitely a big factor.

Slobberknocker
09-16-2014, 10:39 AM
i'd be upset if this wasn't the mind set. Going into the playoffs not many of the pundits believed the Rangers should have been in the conversation. Good to see that wasn't the mindset of the Room.

A team with a championship mindset will look at last years experience and to a man have a full understanding of what it takes to get over the top. if succesful, they will look back on the finals loss as an important learning too.

Phil in Absentia
09-16-2014, 12:05 PM
This topic sort of circles back on the "on paper" argument that says this team, on paper, isn't as strong as the team that went to the Final last season. In theory, that argument is probably correct. But the Rangers, on paper, going into last seasons' start also didn't have Klein, MSL, Talbot, etc. either. On paper to start a season just never accounts for the changes made in it that can favor a club.

Morphinity
09-16-2014, 12:41 PM
I think the team that went to the Final after all the trades wasn't all that great even "on paper", especially with a slumping Nash.

On paper matters very little, when it comes down to it.

Slobberknocker
09-16-2014, 02:38 PM
i'd put forth the argument that this team may prove deeper this season if some of the youth develops. i just foresee a very competitive camp.

Valriera
09-16-2014, 02:48 PM
Well, they're certainly not out of it. Is the team better than last year? I don't think so, but I also don't think they're worse and as much as I won't be holding my breath, Rick Nash is still a huge X-Factor. We're still a lot better than anyone gives us credit for.

Ranger Lothbrok
09-16-2014, 03:07 PM
Well, they're certainly not out of it. Is the team better than last year? I don't think so, but I also don't think they're worse and as much as I won't be holding my breath, Rick Nash is still a huge X-Factor. We're still a lot better than anyone gives us credit for.

Yeah, I think we're a very well-rounded team. We're missing that top-tier impact forward, but hopefully MSL can be that guy (to some extent), and Nash pulls his head out of his ass. I haven't seen him use his size, strength and speed to outmuscle and out-hustle guys like he used to in Columbus. I firmly believe the ability is still there, and that being another year removed from the concussion issues (and having the months of rest over the summer) might revive him a bit.

If he can put his playoff performance behind him and step up to the plate, we could surprise a lot of people. We may not have Crosby or Malkin, but I'll send out our 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines to go toe to toe with Pittsburgh's any day (except when one of Crosby or Malkin ends up on Pitt's 2nd line).

Future
09-16-2014, 03:19 PM
i'd put forth the argument that this team may prove deeper this season if some of the youth develops. i just foresee a very competitive camp.
Agreed.

If Moore goes down we might not have that dependable guy to take D Zone faceoffs like Boyle, but other than that, I think this team will be faster and more skilled.

Slobberknocker
09-16-2014, 04:45 PM
my point to that end is what did we really lose this off season that cannot be replaced. the only area i see that maybe were deficient on is face offs. but how good was that anyways to begin with.

if Bri Boyle played a more physical intimidating style and we lost him i'd change my tune but that wasn't the case.

It's not as if Lebroun James left town...