PDA

View Full Version : Rangers Officially at 50 Contract Maximum

Phil in Absentia
09-11-2014, 01:37 PM
:tweet: @NYP_Brooksie: Malone's contract puts #NYR organization at maximum 50 allowed.

:tweet: @NYP_Brooksie: Re #NYR max 50 contracts: Duclair slides. If he makes team, NYR would have to move a contract in order to add him to roster

--

To prevent this from taking over the actual Malone signing thread, I figure it is best off on it's own.

Brooks' tweets confirm that Duclair's contract is the only slide eligible contract, and the only way for it to slide is in the event he doesn't make the Rangers' opening roster.

EdMc28
09-11-2014, 01:38 PM
Going to expect a minor move or two before the season begins?

Phil in Absentia
09-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Going to expect a minor move or two before the season begins?

I doubt it. Unless Duclair just astonishes in camp, they have no reason to do anything else. Everyone is under contract and ready to go, so it's just a matter of determining the opening night line-up.

All it means is that when trade talks do start, any deal is going to have to be player-for-player. The Rangers will have to give up more bodies than they take back, or will have to even-swap any deal.

EdMc28
09-11-2014, 01:52 PM
I doubt it. Unless Duclair just astonishes in camp, they have no reason to do anything else. Everyone is under contract and ready to go, so it's just a matter of determining the opening night line-up.

All it means is that when trade talks do start, any deal is going to have to be player-for-player. The Rangers will have to give up more bodies than they take back, or will have to even-swap any deal.

No concerns about operating at the max?

Phil in Absentia
09-11-2014, 01:55 PM
No concerns about operating at the max?

Me? Nope. All it does is prevent you from signing anyone else as a free agent, or pulling off trades where you take back more players than you give.

If the Rangers need to get under the (contract) cap for either of these things, they could simply deal away an expendable minor-league contract to a team for a late-round pick, and then it's business as usual.

It's not ideal, granted, but I don't think it's a huge hindrance either.

Captain Clutch
09-11-2014, 02:02 PM
50 contract limit now. This team needs to make some moves.

Shanahammer
09-11-2014, 02:08 PM
I saw somewhere that Duclair's contract slides if he goes back to the Q, but we still burn a year of his ELC. Can anyone explain why we burn that year if his contract slides?

Phil in Absentia
09-11-2014, 02:13 PM
I saw somewhere that Duclair's contract slides if he goes back to the Q, but we still burn a year of his ELC. Can anyone explain why we burn that year if his contract slides?

My guess is it would be based on the age he signed. I don't have that info off-hand, but CapGeek does have this on ELC sliding:

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-does-an-entry-level-contract-slide

RichieNextel305
09-11-2014, 03:17 PM
I'm just glad we can have a normal camp with a good team with a lot of depth and worry about what player may fit where. This certainly beats having Stepan hold out, Dubinsky hold out, the talk of Lundqvist, Callahan and Girardi and their contract extensions, etc. Or the years where we were totally absent of talent where we were wondering what 4th line players could be our 2nd line players.

Lets get this thing going!

TwoMinutesForNothing
09-12-2014, 08:03 AM
Yeah, Miller will get traded once he fails to make the team and proves he still doesn't understand hockey in camp.

Pete
09-12-2014, 08:31 AM
He's had 56 NHL games. Let's have a shred of perspective.

NYR2711
09-12-2014, 08:36 AM
I just don't think the team is high on him anymore for some reason. Thats the only reason I think he will be moved, especially with Duclair probably coming here in a year or 2.

Pete
09-12-2014, 08:43 AM
Certainly AV was upset with his attitude and effort. But he's 21 and hasn't even played a season yet.

NYR2711
09-12-2014, 09:45 AM
Dont get me wrong, he should be given a chance, but I just don't think the team is as high on him as they once were anymore.

TwoMinutesForNothing
09-13-2014, 02:42 AM
He's had 56 NHL games. Let's have a shred of perspective.

I was very drunk. Realistically they are going to trade Kristo because of his RFA/UFA issue.

Phil in Absentia
09-13-2014, 02:35 PM
It wouldn't shock me if they moved Miller, but he'll get a shot at making this roster before they even consider it.

Pete
09-14-2014, 09:45 AM
I was very drunk. Realistically they are going to trade Kristo because of his RFA/UFA issue.

Yea, I don't see a future for Kristo here. Or Fast, for that matter.

NYR2711
09-14-2014, 10:24 AM
I think Fast can come as a cheap fringe 3rd liner/4th liner if we are pressed up against the cap next season.