PDA

View Full Version : [Brooks] Rangers Sign [F] Ryan Malone to 1-Year/Two-Way, $700K Contract

Phil in Absentia
09-11-2014, 01:25 PM
:tweet: @NYP_Brooksie: As expected, #NYR have signed Ryan Malone....Believed 2-way deal, $700,000 NHL
:tweet: @NYP_Brooksie: Malone's contract puts #NYR organization at maximum 50 allowed.

:tweet: @DarrenDreger: Rangers announce signing of Ryan Malone. 2 way deal. $700 000 NHL contract. $100 000 AHL contract

:tweet: @stevezipay: #NYR have announced signing of UFA Ryan Malone. One-year, 2-way deal. believed to be $700,000 at NHL level.

Thump23
09-11-2014, 01:42 PM
Interesting. Does this guy have anything left in the tank?

Morphinity
09-11-2014, 01:58 PM
For that little, why not? If he can redeem himself, he can be somewhat effective, though his last season in Tampa was pretty terrible. I wonder where he slots into the lineup. We have so many 3rd/4th line plugs, it's hard to keep track.

Phil in Absentia
09-11-2014, 01:59 PM
For that little, why not? If he can redeem himself, he can be somewhat effective, though his last season in Tampa was pretty terrible. I wonder where he slots into the lineup. We have so many 3rd/4th line plugs, it's hard to keep track.

If we're talking NHL-level, I doubt he gets higher than the third line. One of the beat writers, I think Zipay, basically predicted he'd be in direct competition with Kevin Hayes and a few other kids for a third-line wing spot.

BrooklynBoy89
09-11-2014, 02:00 PM
Don't want any part of this guy.. Especially don't want his lifestyle outside of the game influencing any of our young guys. Hoping for the best with him, but expecting the worst.

So Nashty
09-11-2014, 02:03 PM
Slats loves his reclamation projects

Captain Clutch
09-11-2014, 02:04 PM
Would have rather signed him than Glass to begin with

Phil in Absentia
09-11-2014, 02:04 PM
Slats loves his reclamation projects

And those reclamation projects probably love him right back. Just this summer he made two of them (Strålman, Pouliot) substantially richer just by leaving the team! :rofl:

Phil in Absentia
09-11-2014, 02:05 PM
Would have rather signed him than Glass to begin with

They aren't the same player. Malone isn't an enforcer. He fights, but he fights the way a hockey player fights. Glass is much more of an actual enforcer, albeit a bit smaller.

So Nashty
09-11-2014, 02:10 PM
And those reclamation projects probably love him right back. Just this summer he made two of them (Strålman, Pouliot) substantially richer just by leaving the team! :rofl:
When they work, they work. Hopefully this case who'll be similar to those you listed rather than some others.

Two way contract for such little pay, doesn't hurt to try. Depth/experience never hurts and worst case scenario he plays in the minors.

RichieNextel305
09-11-2014, 02:23 PM
I don't have one issue with this whatsoever. This is a man who has scored 20+ goals 6 times in his career. At 34, he isn't ancient. He made a mistake, and has owned up to it. He's coming in to camp and will do anything asked of him, and has everyone doubting him, which I'm sure motivates him further.

Listen, I doubt Ryan Malone is going to come in and score 27 goals like he did when he was at his peak. But, if this guy comes in ready to play, I see no reason why he can't be a big-time net-front presence on one of our PP units, and I see no reason at all he can't score 15-20 goals.

I know some aren't in favor of this because of the age, and the clog on the roster and his recent past. But, this could really turn out to be a major acquisition here if Malone is clean, healthy, in shape and ready to prove doubters wrong. And as of now, he seems to be all of that. I'm on board. I hope he makes the team.

Pete
09-11-2014, 02:25 PM
At this stage of the game, with his durability issues, I'm expecting 60-65 games, 12-16 goals.

Phil in Absentia
09-11-2014, 02:29 PM
I don't have one issue with this whatsoever. This is a man who has scored 20+ goals 6 times in his career. At 34, he isn't ancient. He made a mistake, and has owned up to it. He's coming in to camp and will do anything asked of him, and has everyone doubting him, which I'm sure motivates him further.

Listen, I doubt Ryan Malone is going to come in and score 27 goals like he did when he was at his peak. But, if this guy comes in ready to play, I see no reason why he can't be a big-time net-front presence on one of our PP units, and I see no reason at all he can't score 15-20 goals.

I know some aren't in favor of this because of the age, and the clog on the roster and his recent past. But, this could really turn out to be a major acquisition here if Malone is clean, healthy, in shape and ready to prove doubters wrong. And as of now, he seems to be all of that. I'm on board. I hope he makes the team.

In a lot of ways, he's basically a non-drug related version of Benoit Pouliot when he was signed. I don't remember the exact reaction to it, but I can't imagine it was too highly praised. Same could probably be said of Dom Moore, even.

At this stage of the game, with his durability issues, I'm expecting 60-65 games, 12-16 goals.

Assuming he makes the team? Yeah, that sounds about right.

phillyb™
09-11-2014, 02:30 PM
just got this update on my phone.
seems cheap.
i'll withhold judgment.

Slobberknocker
09-11-2014, 02:34 PM
i'd love to say i followed his career but i really haven't. is he a garbage goal guy who hangs in front of the net or is he more a sniper?

Phil in Absentia
09-11-2014, 02:36 PM
i'd love to say i followed his career but i really haven't. is he a garbage goal guy who hangs in front of the net or is he more a sniper?

More of a garbage goal guy who hangs in front of the net.

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.php?2918

RichieNextel305
09-11-2014, 02:44 PM
Yeah, I agree in regard to what Phil said about the fanfare here with the Malone signing.

I'm not one to really try and compare players, or say Player X can be a good replacement for Player Y. But, I see no reason Malone can't, if healthy, replicate the numbers we lost when Pouliot signed with the Oilers. They're 2 different players, as Pouliot is quick whereas Malone isn't, and is more of a big presence in front of the net. But, from a statistical standpoint, Malone can provide what Pouliot did when talking strictly about goals and whatnot.

Hell, I don't think it is terribly far-fetched to see him maybe get a shot to play with Brassard and Zuccarello. It'd obviously be a different look than what it was when Pouliot was there. But, those 2 open up a lot of room and often find ways to put pucks on net. Maybe Malone can clean up some garbage in front of the net there. And I'm sure there will be a bigger target on Zuccarello's back this year after he kind of had a coming out party last year. Maybe Malone can be a little bit of a protective force for him and stand up for Zuccarello when teams take a run at him.

Who knows? The one thing I love here is Malone is another guy who can chip in a decent amount of goals. Between him, Hagelin, Zuccarello, Stempniak, hell even Lombardi, we're talking about a bunch of guys who all have more than enough talent to score 15-20 goals this year. That would be big behind guys like Nash, St. Louis, Stepan and Kreider, who are our bigger threats. There is a lot of depth right now.

Niko
You can never go wrong if you hope for the best and expect the worst. Best of luck Ryan, welcome to NY.

AmericanJesus
Coke aside, low risk, high reward. If he doesn't make it with us he'll get claimed on waivers. So no real concern about him and the Hartford kids.

Pete
09-11-2014, 02:50 PM
Yeah, I agree in regard to what Phil said about the fanfare here with the Malone signing.

I'm not one to really try and compare players, or say Player X can be a good replacement for Player Y. But, I see no reason Malone can't, if healthy, replicate the numbers we lost when Pouliot signed with the Oilers. They're 2 different players, as Pouliot is quick whereas Malone isn't, and is more of a big presence in front of the net. But, from a statistical standpoint, Malone can provide what Pouliot did when talking strictly about goals and whatnot.

Hell, I don't think it is terribly far-fetched to see him maybe get a shot to play with Brassard and Zuccarello. It'd obviously be a different look than what it was when Pouliot was there. But, those 2 open up a lot of room and often find ways to put pucks on net. Maybe Malone can clean up some garbage in front of the net there. And I'm sure there will be a bigger target on Zuccarello's back this year after he kind of had a coming out party last year. Maybe Malone can be a little bit of a protective force for him and stand up for Zuccarello when teams take a run at him.

Who knows? The one thing I love here is Malone is another guy who can chip in a decent amount of goals. Between him, Hagelin, Zuccarello, Stempniak, hell even Lombardi, we're talking about a bunch of guys who all have more than enough talent to score 15-20 goals this year. That would be big behind guys like Nash, St. Louis, Stepan and Kreider, who are our bigger threats. There is a lot of depth right now.

Currently, there's 1 wing spot open on the 3rd line, and one on the 4th.

Kreider - Nash
Zucarello - MSL
Hagelin - ???
Glass - ???

That spot can only be filled by one guy, whether that be Malone or Stempniak or Lombardi. That leaves other guys relagated to the 4th line, or maybe not even on the team.

Considering linemates, I don't really think 20 goals is all that realistic for any one of them. So we can't really count on 15-20 goals from any one of them, let alone all 3, IMO.

Marc
09-11-2014, 03:08 PM
I may be wrong in saying this, but I felt that the Kings primary advantage over the Rangers last year was the heart of their older players. Ugly old guys with a chip on their shoulder, had something to prove before Exit Stage Left. I'm not a stat guy, I judge a player on desire and heart, which we won't know until we see it, but that's why I don't have a problem with throwing the dice on someone like this.

Morphinity

Which would be perfect and would at least match Pouliot's goal production.

Parsley
Nice. I like the risk/reward gamble here.

Maybe a possible new locker song?
(NSFW)

http://youtu.be/jdx8OWgrpZg

RichieNextel305
With this signing, I really do believe Glass may get forced out of the lineup. If guys like Stempniak and, more importantly, Lombardi have good camps, I could see those 2 flanking Moore on the 4th line. I don't think AV, who I'm sure had a big hand in signing Glass which would make it look confusing, will go with a weaker lineup due to cap constraints. If Malone shows he can fight and produce in camp, and someone like Lombardi has a strong camp, I could see Glass being the odd-man out.

I didn't say hitting the 20-goal mark. But, I could easily see those guys hovering in that range.

Cash or Czech?
09-11-2014, 04:29 PM
I'll wait to pass judgement until I see what he can do on the ice. He's pretty banged up from the career he's had, but if he could pot 15 goals and 30 points I don't see what's so wrong. The only thing that can kill his chances to make and be effective on this team is his skating. If he really has lost a few steps (and he was never quick to begin with), he won't survive on this roster. With kids like JT Miller, Kevin Hayes and even Jesper Fast raring to go and establish themselves as NHLers, this is a risky move for Malone's career.

BlueJay
09-11-2014, 08:01 PM
Where's the dislike button...

NYR2711
09-11-2014, 08:34 PM
I said it earlier and Ill say it again. This signing makes the Glass signing unnecessary. I know they aren't playing for the same spot, but that doesn't mean that Glass doesn't get pushed out of the lineup. Once again we signed too many bottom roster guys, Im getting tired of these types of signings.

Phil in Absentia
09-11-2014, 08:37 PM
If they aren't competing for the same spots, then it's not possible for one signing to make the other unnecessary. Necessity in this case, by definition, would speak to a requirement. As in the requirement of an enforcer (Glass), or the requirement of a third/fourth-line low-risk/high-reward player (Malone).

NYR2711
09-11-2014, 08:41 PM
It pushes him out of the lineup. If he is hardly ever going to play, why give him a $1.3M per year contract? They may not be competing for the same roster spot, but its another player that can push him out, and I have no doubts that Malone would earn a spot over Glass, and that Glass may not find his way into this lineup.

Vodka Drunkenski
09-11-2014, 08:46 PM
Glass is certainly a waste of money, not because of Malone but because of Carcillo going to Pens on a tryout. Cheaper option

Phil in Absentia
09-11-2014, 08:52 PM
It pushes him out of the lineup. If he is hardly ever going to play, why give him a $1.3M per year contract? They may not be competing for the same roster spot, but its another player that can push him out, and I have no doubts that Malone would earn a spot over Glass, and that Glass may not find his way into this lineup.

Because he was a UFA, which means he was going to make more than anyone would like, and because the team was clearly letting Carcillo go and had already traded Dorsett, so they needed someone who could fight, even if he only plays half the year.

Glass is certainly a waste of money, not because of Malone but because of Carcillo going to Pens on a tryout. Cheaper option

Glass is necessary evil during the regular season when fighting is still an issue.

NYR2711
09-11-2014, 08:59 PM
There are cheaper options than paying out $1.3 M per year for 3 years for a guy that is going to play maybe 20 games a year. Thats my issue. Being tight against the cap and having $1.3M sitting in the press box most of the year is a huge issue for me. Im sure we could have gotten TooToo for a lot cheaper.

Vodka Drunkenski
09-11-2014, 09:03 PM
Carcillo could've filled the fighting role at a cheaper price. Fighting is a dying art IMO anyway

Back to Malone though, don't want to hijack this thread.

Pete
09-11-2014, 09:11 PM
Glass is probably going to play more than any of you think.

Phil in Absentia
09-11-2014, 09:16 PM
There are cheaper options than paying out $1.3 M per year for 3 years for a guy that is going to play maybe 20 games a year. Thats my issue. Being tight against the cap and having $1.3M sitting in the press box most of the year is a huge issue for me. Im sure we could have gotten TooToo for a lot cheaper.

Except that you assume he's only going to play 20 games, which isn't a guarantee. He was signed day one, first in line, July 1st for a reason. They wanted him.

The fact Tootoo is still looking for work should tell you what they thought of him versus Glass.

Carcillo could've filled the fighting role at a cheaper price. Fighting is a dying art IMO anyway

Back to Malone though, don't want to hijack this thread.

Probably, but they walked away from him, for whatever the reason. And dying ≠ dead. I always tell Pete, do you wanna be the first team who disarms? I'd rather we all just put our guns down together, same time. :)

This. I bet he gets into like 60-65 games. Healthy, too.

Respecttheblue
09-11-2014, 09:28 PM

... this could really turn out to be a major acquisition here if Malone is clean, healthy, in shape and ready to prove doubters wrong. And as of now, he seems to be all of that. I'm on board. I hope he makes the team.

Same feeling here about above ... as for the durability issues, and the sketchy recent past ... that's why we get the discount. His numbers were good then fell right off a cliff, it wasn't a gradual brad richards or drury decline — I think the performance drop off was injuries and illicit pharmaceuticals. If he's healthy and stays clean, I'm thinking maybe a good chance he can make a contribution that significantly outpaces his salary.

NYR2711
09-11-2014, 09:31 PM

I hope your right for what is cap is.

Phil in Absentia
09-12-2014, 10:45 AM
:tweet: @PLeonardNYDN: Newest Ranger Ryan Malone wearing No. 24 on his helmet here at skate in Greenburgh today #NYR

Trade in them Cally jerseys!

Pete
09-12-2014, 10:47 AM
Ballsy.

Vodka Drunkenski
09-12-2014, 10:47 AM
Funny

Phil in Absentia
09-12-2014, 10:58 AM
Ballsy.

Stempniak already has 12, which Malone has worn through most of his career, and Stepan has 21 (inverse), so I guess he had to just go with something brand new.

Rangers' fans gotta get past Callahan at some point though.

Ba Ba Bluey
09-12-2014, 11:14 AM
Stempniak already has 12, which Malone has worn through most of his career, and Stepan has 21 (inverse), so I guess he had to just go with something brand new.

Says who? Definitely not the guy in my avi.

Vodka Drunkenski
09-12-2014, 11:28 AM
He wasn't an icon, I don't see the problem with it.

Pete
09-12-2014, 12:03 PM

Malone wore 6 as well.

http://2.cdn.nhle.com/lightning/images/upload/2010/11/malone2_slide.jpg

Phil in Absentia
09-12-2014, 12:28 PM
Malone wore 6 as well.

http://2.cdn.nhle.com/lightning/images/upload/2010/11/malone2_slide.jpg

Looks weird on him. Not a fan of single digit numbers on forwards, generally. 24 is gonna look a lot better.

Phil in Absentia
09-12-2014, 12:29 PM
Once learning that Malone had signed a one-year deal, McDonagh flashed a beaming smile. McDonagh and teammate Derek Stepan had trained with Malone in Minnesota during the offseason and had invited him to the Rangers’ informal workouts in Westchester.

“I think the players are really excited to have him,” McDonagh said. “I’ve played against him since I came into the league. I always thought he was a big presence out there physically, tough to move in front of the net.”

McDonagh noticed that Malone is very appreciative and motivated by his second chance. The 34-year-old winger was arrested during the spring for DUI and cocaine possession.

“Just working out and skating with him, I could tell that he was very motivated,” McDonagh said. “What he went through can really change your life and put things in perspective. He was willing to do whatever it takes to get an opportunity somewhere. Fortunately for him, New York was interested.”

McDonagh has described Malone as a “no-ego” character who loves to battle hard and is willing to put the team above everything else.

“He’s willing to do whatever it takes to win,” McDonagh said. “There’s no ego with him. He’s willing to put the team in front first. He’s willing to battle and do whatever he can to help the guys win.”

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/hartnett-ryan-mcdonagh-feels-ready-to-lead-rangers-praises-malone-signing/

AmericanJesus
09-12-2014, 03:07 PM
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/hartnett-ryan-mcdonagh-feels-ready-to-lead-rangers-praises-malone-signing/

I like how McDonagh has handled the "C" so far.

Captain Clutch
09-12-2014, 03:11 PM
I don't recall 24 being raised to the rafters. People gonna be pissed about Kostka wearing 4?

Pete
09-12-2014, 03:13 PM
I don't recall 24 being raised to the rafters. People gonna be pissed about Kostka wearing 4?

http://replygif.net/thumbnail/664.gif

Vodka Drunkenski
09-12-2014, 03:13 PM
I like how McDonagh has handled the "C" so far.

Did I miss something here?

Captain Clutch
09-12-2014, 03:14 PM
http://replygif.net/thumbnail/664.gif

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/yoona.gif

Phil in Absentia
09-12-2014, 03:32 PM

He's been chalked up as the teams' next captain since mid-June, just after the Final. Nash and a few others players all supported him as captain when asked directly, and he's actually said himself he'd love the responsibility.

We've got a whole thread on it here (http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?14011-Ryan-McDonagh-Ready-to-be-Rangers-Next-Captain), actually.

Vodka Drunkenski
09-12-2014, 03:48 PM
I know, I thought it was made official and I missed it.

fletch
09-12-2014, 03:57 PM
Risk outweighs the reward for me. 34 year old with possible character issues, how much is left in the tank?

In general I beg the Rangers to get younger and give a chance for the kids to develop. One more roster spot tied up potentially blocking Kristo etc. from ice time or even making the roster.

AmericanJesus
09-12-2014, 04:17 PM

No, I'm just drawing conclusions and assuming he's going to get it.

Puck Head
09-12-2014, 04:23 PM

A lot of good things going on in that post.
- Malone working out with McDonagh and Stepan
- McDonagh starting to sound like a leader
- STEPAN finding himself in a gym!!

AmericanJesus
09-12-2014, 04:26 PM
A lot of good things going on in that post.
- Malone working out with McDonagh and Stepan
- McDonagh starting to sound like a leader
- STEPAN finding himself in a gym!!

The quote was "Donagh and teammate Derek Stepan had trained with Malone in Minnesota during the offseason..."

For all we know, he was training for a donut eating competition.

Phil in Absentia
09-12-2014, 04:35 PM
Risk outweighs the reward for me. 34 year old with possible character issues, how much is left in the tank?

In general I beg the Rangers to get younger and give a chance for the kids to develop. One more roster spot tied up potentially blocking Kristo etc. from ice time or even making the roster.

The issue is, what if those kids aren't good enough to be in the NHL in the first place?

This same argument was had years ago around the '06 and '07 teams that loaded up on vets, with people begging for guys like Greg Moore, Brodie Dupont and Bobby Sanguinetti to get a chance in the NHL. Greg Moore has had exactly four games of NHL experience (all with the Jackets) since his year with Hartford, Dupont never amounted to anything and Sanguinetti is an utter and complete bust, now in the KHL, so the question I'd ask is why do we want to make making the team as easy as possible for rookie players? If anything, shouldn't the competition be as stiff and difficult as possible, to assure yourself as an organization that any player making the team—rookie or vet—is actually the best possible player to have on your roster? Shouldn't the goal be to have rookies force their way into the line-up, rather than being gifted positions simply because they are young?

In a cap world, all that should matter is the success-level of the player and their cap hit appropriately reflecting it. So in Malone's case, provided his hockey is still there, and considering his cap hit is equal to that of most rookies, why should we want a rookie in place of him if he out plays them in camp? Youth isn't always valuable in and of itself. In fact, a lot of times it's a negative, because it's synonymous with inexperience, or "not getting it".

fletch
09-12-2014, 04:47 PM
The issue is, what if those kids aren't good enough to be in the NHL in the first place?

This same argument was had years ago around the '06 and '07 teams that loaded up on vets, with people begging for guys like Greg Moore, Brodie Dupont and Bobby Sanguinetti to get a chance in the NHL. Greg Moore has had exactly four games of NHL experience (all with the Jackets) since his year with Hartford, Dupont never amounted to anything and Sanguinetti is an utter and complete bust, now in the KHL, so the question I'd ask is why do we want to make making the team as easy as possible for rookie players? If anything, shouldn't the competition be as stiff and difficult as possible, to assure yourself as an organization that any player making the team—rookie or vet—is actually the best possible player to have on your roster? Shouldn't the goal be to have rookies force their way into the line-up, rather than being gifted positions simply because they are young?

In a cap world, all that should matter is the success-level of the player and their cap hit appropriately reflecting it. So in Malone's case, provided his hockey is still there, and considering his cap hit is equal to that of most rookies, why should we want a rookie in place of him if he out plays them in camp? Youth isn't always valuable in and of itself. In fact, a lot of times it's a negative, because it's synonymous with inexperience, or "not getting it".

You may be right, the kids may not be good enough. I just want to make sure that they get every opportunity to make the roster. IMO, the NYR default is go with the veteran over the youngster (in a coin flip situation) because we have to make a deep playoff run NOW.

Phil in Absentia
09-12-2014, 05:00 PM
You may be right, the kids may not be good enough. I just want to make sure that they get every opportunity to make the roster. IMO, the NYR default is go with the veteran over the youngster (in a coin flip situation) because we have to make a deep playoff run NOW.

Well, the key there would be more in line with where they are played, and how often, in camp. If they're never given an actual chance, or are buried on a fourth line with enforcers or who we already know will be in the AHL, then I'd agree they weren't given a fair shake, but competition, in and of itself, I consider a good thing. It's like extra filtration, to assure you are getting the right quality product on your roster.

The Dude
09-12-2014, 10:04 PM
Just ensures a deeper team. Lots of options to mix and match the right player for the Brassard Zucc combo.

Malone is on a two way deal. Isnt Lombardi as well? These guys can be in Hartford as back up plans to who ever wins these jobs.

I may be wrong, but since its a two way contract, is he exempt from waiver claims if they decide he didn't make the team out of camp? Or even in a mid season send down if hes struggling?

So making the team or not. Its kind of a safety net all around to have the best working pieces in the lineup. .

Phil in Absentia
09-12-2014, 10:17 PM
Just ensures a deeper team. Lots of options to mix and match the right player for the Brassard Zucc combo.

Malone is on a two way deal. Isnt Lombardi as well? These guys can be in Hartford as back up plans to who ever wins these jobs.

I may be wrong, but since its a two way contract, is he exempt from waiver claims if they decide he didn't make the team out of camp? Or even in a mid season send down if hes struggling?

So making the team or not. Its kind of a safety net all around to have the best working pieces in the lineup. .

Two-way deals have nothing to do with waiver status. All they means is that the salary of the player is not the same in the AHL as it is in the NHL. Malone, for example, makes $700K at the NHL level, but only $100K at the AHL level.

The more important thing to note is the "Redden Rule" that was applied in this CBA that only allows teams to "stash" up to $900K in the AHL on veteran player contracts. So in this case, both Lombardi and Malone (as well as Stempniak) could be re-assigned to Hartford without a hiccup.

The Dude
09-13-2014, 08:25 PM
Ok thanks for the clarification. I dont know why I thought it also affected their waiver status. Is that an old stipulation or maybe a baseball thing?

Phil in Absentia
09-13-2014, 09:31 PM
I have no idea. I know it's been a misconception for years.

momentum
09-14-2014, 07:48 AM
don't see any problem with this tbh, don't think they will play this guy over a kid unless he's clearly better, if he doesn't make it we spent 100k on him to play in Hartford.

NYR2711
09-14-2014, 04:27 PM
The one good thing, if he does clear waivers if sent down, which would be a huge if, is having him work with the young guys in Hartford.

!br-avery!
09-15-2014, 01:43 PM
Always great to have depth
Who knows too,maybe Malone finds his game here and ends up being a steal

CreaseCrusader91
09-15-2014, 02:26 PM
The one good thing, if he does clear waivers if sent down, which would be a huge if, is having him work with the young guys in Hartford.
If he doesn't make the team, he could automatically clear waivers to start season. Coming back up is different story.

Phil in Absentia
09-15-2014, 02:33 PM
If he doesn't make the team, he could automatically clear waivers to start season. Coming back up is different story.

Not really. Coming up would also be fine. It's going back down that would be an issue, as he'd require waivers to be sent down.

Though it's important to note, Re-Entry waivers are now a thing of the past, as the new CBA eliminated them.

CreaseCrusader91
09-15-2014, 02:37 PM
Not really. Coming up would also be fine. It's going back down that would be an issue, as he'd require waivers to be sent down.

Though it's important to note, Re-Entry waivers are now a thing of the past, as the new CBA eliminated them.
That is right. Forgot they killed RE Waivers. So up and down once is fine and anything after that is no dice.

Phil in Absentia
09-15-2014, 02:39 PM
That is right. Forgot they killed RE Waivers. So up and down once is fine and anything after that is no dice.

Assuming he doesn't make the team out of camp, he could be assigned to Hartford to start the year. I believe he would not require waivers for this (I'm not 100% on that though). If the Rangers then called him up, again, he'd avoid waivers.

It's if they decided to then re-assign him to Hartford that they'd run into a snag, where he could theoretically be claimed by any team once placed on waivers for the purposes of reassignment.

TwoMinutesForNothing
09-15-2014, 03:36 PM
Pretty sure he would have to clear waivers if sent down out of camp, but could be brought back up without re-entry.

Phil in Absentia
09-15-2014, 03:42 PM
You're probably right. I believe the only player who do not require waivers for the Rangers this season is Jesper Fast.

And yes, re-entry waivers no longer exist, so they aren't a factor in any direction.

Edit: Fast isn't the only one. According to CapGeek (http://capgeek.com/rangers), Fast, Bodie, Allen, Zamorsky, Haggerty, Hayes, Miller, Kristo, Duclair, Missiaen, Nicholls, McIlrath, McCarthy, Donnay, Lindberg, Skapski, Andersson, Graves, Yogan, Noreau, Hrivik, St. Croix, Hughes, Kantor and Stajcer are all exempt from waivers.

Slobberknocker
09-24-2014, 12:36 PM
http://nypost.com/2014/09/23/if-ryan-malone-keeps-this-up-hell-become-real-rangers-weapon/

one game in I know, but working out with Mac and Steps in the offseason, wearing no. 24, looks like this guy may have a devil may care attitude.

what are we looking at here? i know 3rd/4th line is where he theoretically pencils but does he get PP time down low in front of the net. I could dig him and kreid's as a 1-2 combo for that slot. lots of size there.

Phil in Absentia
09-24-2014, 12:38 PM
http://nypost.com/2014/09/23/if-ryan-malone-keeps-this-up-hell-become-real-rangers-weapon/

one game in I know, but working out with Mac and Steps in the offseason, wearing no. 24, looks like this guy may have a devil may care attitude.

what are we looking at here? i know 3rd/4th line is where he theoretically pencils but does he get PP time down low in front of the net. I could dig him and kreid's as a 1-2 combo for that slot. lots of size there.

There's an entire thread dedicated to it here: http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?14638-Puzzle-for-Rangers-If-Malone-Can-Play-Where-Does-Nash-Fit

Slobberknocker
09-24-2014, 07:57 PM
That's more of a critique thread on Nash. I like this thread for the Malone discussion. It's presumptuous to assume that a good Malone performance detracts from Nash's role.