PDA

View Full Version : RIP Carol Vadnais

Ranger Lothbrok
09-02-2014, 03:02 PM
Carol Vadnais, a six-time N.H.L. All-Star who played for Stanley Cup championship teams with the Montreal Canadiens and the Boston Bruins and who became a mainstay of the Rangers’ defense in the 1970s and early ’80s, died on Sunday in Laval, Quebec. He was 68.

Vadnais became a Ranger in November 1975 as part of a memorable deal that sent him and Esposito, the centerpiece of the trade, to New York for the Rangers captain Brad Park, one of the N.H.L.’s top defensemen, along with center Jean Ratelle and a minor leaguer.

Vadnais drew his shares of boos at Madison Square Garden early on with mediocre Rangers teams, having essentially replaced Park, a hugely popular figure. The fans’ attitude seemed to change, however, when the Rangers got off to a fast start in 1978 with Vadnais, at age 33, guiding an otherwise young defensive alignment that included Ron Greschner, Dave Maloney and Mike McEwen.

“When I make mistakes, I’m a natural target," Vadnais told Sports Illustrated in November 1978. “What are the fans going to do, blame a 22-year-old kid? But when we win, they forget the mistakes fast. I’ll tell you, it’s nice hearing cheers for a change.”

Vadnais flourished in the 1979 playoffs, scoring two goals and adding nine assists as the Rangers reached the Stanley Cup finals before losing to the Canadiens in five games.

When the Rangers started slowly in the 1981-82 season, Greschner showed gratitude for the help Vadnais gave him. “I was really losing confidence,” he told The New York Times. “I asked Vad to watch me, to tell me what I was doing wrong.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/02/sports/hockey/carol-vadnais-all-star-nhl-defenseman-dies-at-68.html?_r=0

Thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family. Really meant a lot to this organization, and 68 is way too young. Rest in peace, Carol.

Phil in Absentia
09-02-2014, 03:06 PM
“What are the fans going to do, blame a 22-year-old kid? But when we win, they forget the mistakes fast. I’ll tell you, it’s nice hearing cheers for a change.”

Amazing how well that quote translates 37 years later.

RIP, Vadnais.

Pete
09-02-2014, 03:11 PM
We still blame 22 year old kids.

Slobberknocker
09-02-2014, 03:43 PM
tough trades in those days. i remember losing park as well as the eddie trade which blew chunks.

jim gordon calling games, the big whistle, the garden with the perma weed smell... those were the days.

RIP Carol. Good times indeed.

Respecttheblue
09-02-2014, 09:13 PM
Condolences to all in the Rangers family who enjoyed Vadnais' tenure here.
I've heard and seen his name enough over the years that I think of him as a Ranger, as one of the Rangers family, even though he played a good chunk of his career elsewhere, even if he was on the other end of the Brad Park trade.

We still blame 22 year old kids.

“I asked Vad to watch me, to tell me what I was doing wrong.”

veteran leadership on D - maybe another reason to keep a Staal around, if one needs reasons

Pete
09-02-2014, 09:56 PM
Not for excessive amounts of money.

NYR2711
09-03-2014, 09:32 AM
Not for excessive amounts of money.

But this is what the teams do best. Girardi is a perfect example.

Ytown Ranger
09-23-2014, 10:21 AM
...I always liked Vad & sorry to read about his passing away on MSN this morning.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/cms/binary/10164510.jpg?size=620x400s.jpeg

RIP Vad