PDA

View Full Version : 72. Success, Bust or In Between: Brian Boyle

Phil in Absentia
08-25-2014, 03:56 PM
Most of you know the series by now, but for those of you who don't, here's the run down:

• Former talents of the New York Rangers (players, coaches, general managers) are to be critiqued and voted on regarding their career/years with the club, and only their career/years with the club.
• Any performances by the player, coach or general manager from outside their time spent with the New York Rangers should absolutely not factor into your vote.
• You can vote them either a success, a bust or in between if you don't feel they deserve either extreme.

While no one will punish you for not backing up your vote with an argument, we'd prefer you include a reason why you are voting for whatever you're voting for.

----------

Next in the series is…

BRIAN BOYLE

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4334542/BSBH/SBI/BrianBoyle_SBI.jpg

Regular Season Statistics:

2009-10
71 GP, 4-2-6, 0.08 P/G, -6, 47 PIM, 0 PPG, 0 SHG

2010-11
82 GP, 21-14-35, 0.42 P/G, +2, 74 PIM, 4 PPG, 1 SHG

2011-12
82 GP, 11-15-26, 0.31 P/G, +2, 59 PIM, 0 PPG, 0 SHG

2012-13
38 GP, 2-3-5, 0.13 P/G, -13, 29 PIM, 0 PPG, 0 SHG

2013-14
82 GP, 6-12-18, 0.22 P/G, +1, 56 PIM, 1 PPG, 0 SHG

Awards:

None

--

Regular Season Totals:

355 GP, 44-46-90, 0.25 P/G, 265 PIM

Playoffs Statistics:

2010-11
5 GP, 0-0-0, -1, 6 PIM, 0 PPG, 0 SHG

2011-12
17 GP, 3-3-6, Even, 15 PIM, 0 PPG, 0 SHG

2012-13
11 GP, 3-2-5, -1, 2 PIM, 1 PPG, 0 SHG

2013-14
25 GP, 3-5-8, -3, 19 PIM, 0 PPG, 1 SHG

--

Playoffs Totals:

58 GP, 9-10-19, 42 PIM

----------

Previous Poll Results:

Success

66. Brandon Prust (100%)
41. Mike Richter (99%)
16. Michael Nylander (98%)
36. Brian Leetch (97%)
8. Mike Gartner (97%)
12. Pat Verbeek (97%)
71. Ryan Callahan (96%)
34. Adam Graves (94%)
29. Mathew Barnaby (94%)
15. Jaromir Jágr (94%)
61. Vinny Prospal (93%)
50. Blair Betts (93%)
43. (C) Mike Keenan(91%)
14. Sean Avery (91%)*
35. Mark Messier (88%)**
68. Marián Gáborík (85%)
18. Martin Straka (84%)
7. Wayne Gretzky (84%)
31. Jason Strudwick (78%)**
53. Glen Healy (73%)
67. Ruslan Fedotenko (73%)
23. Mike York (73%)
47. Colton Orr (72%)
42. (C) Tom Renney (69%)
5. Theoren Fleury (62%)
48. Paul Mara (60%)
44. (GM) Neil Smith (58%)
21. Martin Rucinsky (46%)**
26. Darius Kasparaitis (45%)
4. Petr Nedved (44%)**
2. Pavel Bure: Success (41%)

In Between

58. Niklas Sundstrom (86%)
1. Eric Lindros (80%)
65. Artem Anisimov (71%)
38. Nigel Dawes (67%)
20. Radek Dvorak(67%)
33. John Maclean (65%)
39. Matt Cullen (63%)
22. Jan Hlavac (63%)**
54. Michal Rozsíval (62%)
24. Marek Malík(62%)
40. Markus Näslund (61%)
37. Petr Prucha (60%)
69. Michael Del Zotto (60%)
45. Steve Rucchin (59%)
17. Brendan Shanahan (58%)
56. Derek Boogaard (57%)
63. Steve Valiquette (56%)
9. Bernie Nicholls (55%)
19. Alexei Kovalev (54%)**
70. Brad Richards (54%)
49. Nikolai Zherdev (52%)
62. Bryan McCabe (52%)
64. Brandon Dubinsky (51%)
55. Aaron Voros (50%)
28. Tom Poti (50%)
11. Dan Blackburn (49%)
13. Kevin Weekes (43%)

Bust

57. Alex Frolov (100%)
32. Valeri Kamensky (93%)
51. Ales Kotalík (80%)
52. Chris Higgins (77%)
3. Bobby Holík (76%)
30. Ryan Hollweg (73%)
25. Manny Malholtra (69%)
60. Matt Gilroy (62%)
59. Chris Drury (59%)
10. Marcel Dionne (58%)
27. Mike Dunham (58%)
46. Scott Gomez (56%)
6. Luc Robitaille (43%)

----------

Notes

*A player was polled for his first stint, but then returned for a second
**A player with more than one stint, but being judged as a whole

BlairBettsBlocksEverything
08-25-2014, 04:09 PM
I think his 20 goal season really messed with everyone's expectations of what he really was. But he was a solid 4th liner who lasted as long as most 4th liners do with one team. He brought a lot for what he cost and had some big goals.

Can't be anything but a success

Kevin
08-25-2014, 04:10 PM
For what he was when he came here to what he turned out to be I'll judge him a success. Came through when it counted.

Morphinity
08-25-2014, 04:40 PM
I think his 20 goal season really messed with everyone's expectations of what he really was. But he was a solid 4th liner who lasted as long as most 4th liners do with one team. He brought a lot for what he cost and had some big goals.

Can't be anything but a success

Yeah, he fucked himself with that 20 goal season.

He was a very important player here. Every season he brought something new to the table that made him important. He will be missed.

Pete
08-25-2014, 04:43 PM
Success for sure.

08-25-2014, 04:44 PM
I think anytime you have a 4th liner who departs through Free Agency to have a bigger role on a new team, he's most likely a success.

Slobberknocker
08-25-2014, 05:12 PM
i liked what he brought to us.

i just wished he stood up for his team mates more often and played with a bit more of a snarl given his size.

RichieNextel305
08-25-2014, 07:51 PM
I think anytime you have a 4th liner who departs through Free Agency to have a bigger role on a new team, he's most likely a success.

Perfectly said statement. Couldn't agree more.

100% success.

The Dude
08-25-2014, 09:14 PM
In between. Big body small game. Yet, turned it up in the playoffs every time.

Sadly he thinks hes more than a pk guy, and kinda walked away with an attitude. For a guy that was supposed to be a key locker room guy, he didn't accept his role that made this team strong. I dont think he or Strahlman will live up to their contracts. He will soon be on their 4th line. Surprised by the ego he had in wanting or thinking he deserved a bigger role.

But I must admit, the guy grew on me this past season. He showed up in the playoffs again and really made a difference while moving to the wing. Thought he and Moore complimented each other well and made this team appear to be deeper with more threats and different kinds of looks.

What'd they trade a 4th liner to get him? Good trade. Imo he always left a lot to be desired. And in years past his value was severely over rated by fans. Hes not a bust because he played big when it mattered. But not a success because of how small he could and would play in the regular season, along with his ego taking him to Tampa.

Respecttheblue
08-25-2014, 11:57 PM
Yeah, he fucked himself with that 20 goal season.

He was a very important player here. Every season he brought something new to the table that made him important. He will be missed.

No one fucks themselves by doing well, (except in office jobs).

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/b/boylebr01.html

Throw out the strike season which was crap all round, for a moment, and
Look at his TOi (15:44, 15, 14) for those 2 productive seasons, and he's playing 15 mins+ and producing 50% more with the extra 3 minutes and maybe better linemates. So he sees himself as producing more with 15 minutes a game versus 12:46 on the 4th line.

Granted there were a slew of seeing eye goals in 10-11, but I think BB is allowed to look for a place where he might better fulfill his potential...trouble is I think he gives himself that much less chance of a cup. But who knows how Tampa will develop? Not holding breath, just yet. Or did they finally get a good goalie?

Anyway, BB set the tone when it really mattered and for that — resurrecting his career from LA's trash heap, with a bit of help from Torts, a singular "success."

08-26-2014, 07:30 AM
No one fucks themselves by doing well, (except in office jobs).

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/b/boylebr01.html

Throw out the strike season which was crap all round, for a moment, and
Look at his TOi (15:44, 15, 14) for those 2 productive seasons, and he's playing 15 mins+ and producing 50% more with the extra 3 minutes and maybe better linemates. So he sees himself as producing more with 15 minutes a game versus 12:46 on the 4th line.

Granted there were a slew of seeing eye goals in 10-11, but I think BB is allowed to look for a place where he might better fulfill his potential...trouble is I think he gives himself that much less chance of a cup. But who knows how Tampa will develop? Not holding breath, just yet. Or did they finally get a good goalie?

Anyway, BB set the tone when it really mattered and for that — resurrecting his career from LA's trash heap, with a bit of help from Torts, a singular "success."

I don't think you're giving Tampa enough credit. Bishop was hurt for their first round sweep. They'll get Stamkos back and they upgraded their D. I think they have a legit shot at being team in the east.

I am Scags
08-26-2014, 11:07 AM
Success:

For a big player, many times in his Rangers career he seemed to play small and not use his size to an advantage for the Rangers.

But in the end when he was called on, especially in this 2014 Stanley Cup final run he was there and played a pivotal role in the Rangers success throughout the run, and for this I personally have to say his time as a Rangers was an overall success.

I am Scags
08-26-2014, 11:10 AM
I don't think you're giving Tampa enough credit. Bishop was hurt for their first round sweep. They'll get Stamkos back and they upgraded their D. I think they have a legit shot at being team in the east.

I think on paper and going in they will be one of the teams to beat in the east this year. Stamkos though still always has a knack of getting hurt so anything at anytime can change. The Bishop injury was a huge blow for them and while it may not have helped them win that series, I certainly believe they would have been more competitive vs the Canadiens.

Pete
08-26-2014, 11:12 AM
I think on paper and going in they will be one of the teams to beat in the east this year. Stamkos though still always has a knack of getting hurt so anything at anytime can change. The Bishop injury was a huge blow for them and while it may not have helped them win that series, I certainly believe they would have been more competitive vs the Canadiens.

Huh? This season was the first year he didn't play at all 82 games since playing 79 as a rookie.

Future
08-26-2014, 11:46 AM
Just because they might move him from the 4th to the third doesn't really mean he'll have a bigger role. He's still a checking forward who kills penalties, takes important faceoffs, and can't score.

He was a success here I guess but I don't think the expectations were ever very high.

Pete
08-26-2014, 11:51 AM
IMO, success isn't about the level of expectations. It's about meeting them.

08-26-2014, 12:05 PM
Just because they might move him from the 4th to the third doesn't really mean he'll have a bigger role. He's still a checking forward who kills penalties, takes important faceoffs, and can't score.

He was a success here I guess but I don't think the expectations were ever very high.

When he scored 20 goals people started expecting more of the same from him. It was sort of a fluke (not that he didn't earn that season) and it people's expectations of what type of player he was really got out of hand.

His role will increase with Tampa because he will have more ice time.

Puck Head
08-26-2014, 12:23 PM
IMO, success isn't about the level of expectations. It's about meeting them.

His playoff performances alone vs contract and expectations make in a success IMO.
Factor in the character, work ethic, etc....we could only be so lucky to have more prospects turn out like this.

Phil in Absentia
08-26-2014, 12:32 PM
His playoff performances alone vs contract and expectations make in a success IMO.
Factor in the character, work ethic, etc....we could only be so lucky to have more prospects turn out like this.

Basically this.

I get the 20-goal year threw a wrench in things, and I even get that a lot of fans had issue with how wasted that size was (and it was), but he did his job admirably, and effectively. He's basically a footprint for success for guys like Lindberg, Fast, Bourque, etc. to base their NHL approach on right now.

Pete
08-26-2014, 12:38 PM
The important thing to remember about that 20 goal year is this — neither his ice time nor role changed the following year. I could see if that 20 goal year got him on to the 2nd line or got him PP time, but it didn't. I think we all realize that was fluke production.

08-26-2014, 01:13 PM
The important thing to remember about that 20 goal year is this — neither his ice time nor role changed the following year. I could see if that 20 goal year got him on to the 2nd line or got him PP time, but it didn't. I think we all realize that was fluke production.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like I remember a lot of people proclaiming his greatness and how 20 goals was just the beginning for him.

AmericanJesus
08-26-2014, 01:16 PM
Had we drafted him 26th overall, Boyle would probably be disappointing. But we didn't. We got him as a 3/4 defensive center for 3rd round pick. In that role and paid accordingly, as compared to other similar role players around the league, Boyle was top notch for us. He had that great offensive output one year which was a huge bonus, not something to set new expectations on. And he scored some timely goals in the post season for us as a second bonus. Mostly though, what he did, was play outstanding defensively both at regular strength and on the penalty kill and win a ton of face offs.

Raging, Big Game, Success.

fletch
08-26-2014, 01:49 PM
Success. Killing PKs, winning faceoffs, being a stand-up guy, and doing all the little things right that make the difference between winning and losing. Solid contributor, and he will be missed.

I am Scags
08-26-2014, 03:52 PM
Huh? This season was the first year he didn't play at all 82 games since playing 79 as a rookie.

Wow you're right and I must be a complete idiot :palm: or I'm thinking of someone else (but that would be silly because Stamkos is one of the top players in the league). I just thought in years prior to 2013 he was chronically hurt and out several times but I was wrong. Now i'm just killing myself trying to figure out who that other guy might be because I know for sure this player was often hurt and out. Oh well.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/s/stamkst01.html

Future
08-26-2014, 04:00 PM
When he scored 20 goals people started expecting more of the same from him. It was sort of a fluke (not that he didn't earn that season) and it people's expectations of what type of player he was really got out of hand.

His role will increase with Tampa because he will have more ice time.
I think people are making that assumption, not looking at who TBL's centers already are.

Stamkos, Filppula, Tyler JOhnson, and Alex Killorn are already on the roster. All give you more than Boyle does offensively by a wide margin. Even if one of them plays the wing, that still puts three centers ahead of Boyle. Is he going to play wing on the third line?

I just don't see where those extended minutes are going to come from. He's joining a team that was one of the best offensive teams in hockey...WITHOUT Stamkos. Brian Boyle was brought there to play the same exact role he did here.

momentum
08-27-2014, 07:07 AM

THIS!

08-27-2014, 07:59 AM
I think people are making that assumption, not looking at who TBL's centers already are.

Stamkos, Filppula, Tyler JOhnson, and Alex Killorn are already on the roster. All give you more than Boyle does offensively by a wide margin. Even if one of them plays the wing, that still puts three centers ahead of Boyle. Is he going to play wing on the third line?

I just don't see where those extended minutes are going to come from. He's joining a team that was one of the best offensive teams in hockey...WITHOUT Stamkos. Brian Boyle was brought there to play the same exact role he did here.

Obviously there's a chance he don't, but he certainly has an opportunity to earn more minutes in TB then he would here.

I wouldn't be surprised if they used him on the wing either. We will see but here, he'd be locked in on the 4th, there he isn't.

NYR2711
08-27-2014, 03:15 PM
Success, he did all the right little things to make this team succeed. He was a key PKer, a key face-off guy and was a key member in the locker room. Out of all the guys we lost, IMO, he is gonna be the biggest loss for us. He played wherever he was needed, and was able to play more minutes when needed. I honestly would have loved to have had him back, even giving him a third line spot. He will be greatly missed here for everything he brought to the team.

!br-avery!
08-29-2014, 09:00 PM
success
Great teammate and a big game player
Though he sure did piss us off sometimes when he turned into Huggy Bear Boyle which was 85% of the time

phillyb™
08-30-2014, 11:23 AM
big game teddy bear boyle.
success

Respecttheblue
08-31-2014, 10:22 AM

Actually I don't disagree, if you read what I wrote a different way, it's a positive.
I think a healthy Ben Bishop, and obviously Stamkos, makes them more dangerous than many might imagine.
The Flyers have underachieved because of goalie woes. Regain healthy goaltending in Tampa and the team could be trouble.

Niko
08-31-2014, 10:25 AM
I look at this guy as the prototype for how I'd want my kid to play if I ever had one. He was a stand up guy who embodied "#therightway" attitude. He wasn't the most skillful, but he gave you everything he had, did the little things right, took skating lessons on his on to get better and was always there for his teammates on and off the ice. He'll be sorely missed.

Success.

Valriera
08-31-2014, 03:24 PM

This is pretty much the biggest detriment to me voting "in between", because this is a great argument. That said, I have to stick to my first thought, which was in between, because Boyle, while being an important player for this team, never quite lived up to his potential. I think of Callahan, who I voted an unbridled success, who played far and beyond his skill ceiling. Boyle never quite reached his I think.

Respecttheblue
09-01-2014, 11:48 PM
This is pretty much the biggest detriment to me voting "in between", because this is a great argument. That said, I have to stick to my first thought, which was in between, because Boyle, while being an important player for this team, never quite lived up to his potential. I think of Callahan, who I voted an unbridled success, who played far and beyond his skill ceiling. Boyle never quite reached his I think.

He came here off the L.A. scrap heap, they even tried him on defense there.
The clock was ticking ... he had precious few chances left to carve himself a spot on an NHL team according to the CW at the time.

He pulled himself together and thrived ... even in the John Tortorella pressure cooker. HE might never have been the No-1 pick that LA had hoped would materialize, but as a reclamation project for us, he went from zero to 35 in short order.

Then his role got scaled back. No fault of his own. And a concussion came into play, too. I'd still sat he was an unequivocal success for us. It was success here that make him marketable elsewhere, while being confined by the team's Stanley Cup Contender status, to a mostly 4th line role. He saw his stats and they showed he did much better with more minutes on a third line, but because of our success, and our budget woes, that team would have to be elsewhere.
So I still agree with what I said before and 29 others here. Success.
Long Live Brian Boyle, but please never play for the Bruins, that would be hard to take. [uknowitsgonnahappen1day;)]

Vodka Drunkenski
09-01-2014, 11:58 PM
No brainer, success

09-02-2014, 09:14 AM

I think you might be overrating his potential. He was always a 4th line guy. his 20 goal season was a fluke. That wasn't his ceiling.

Vodka Drunkenski
09-02-2014, 09:22 AM
The year he scored 20, I was at almost every home game that he scored a goal. It was so strange that my buddy and I started making bets in which period he would score. Blame his scoring woes on me for not going anymore.

09-02-2014, 09:40 AM
don't go to any games against Tampa this year. If you have those tickets, just give them to me.

Valriera
09-03-2014, 02:15 PM
I think you might be overrating his potential. He was always a 4th line guy. his 20 goal season was a fluke. That wasn't his ceiling.

I'm certainly open to this possibility, but I think I consider the lack of physical play and bite that a guy his size never seemed to bring. Fair, his concussion messed with this, but I'm still not sold. Not that I didn't like the guy - love the guy - but I just don't think I can overlook the gold standard that Callahan set for gritty players on the team.