PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Training Camp Skating Has Begun

Captain Clutch
08-21-2014, 05:54 PM
:tweet: @HLundqvist30

Back at the practice rink in NY this morning, not my best but it's a start..:) Feels great to be back here I must say!

The season is inching closer, soon more players will be showing up. It's the lowest form of information when it comes to the hockey season, but the boys are coming back to town!

Pete
08-21-2014, 05:56 PM
Millers ass better be there.

Captain Clutch
08-21-2014, 06:04 PM
He better be one of the first one's there, too. If I recall, he never went last season. Would also be nice to see Hayes and Haggerty show some initiative and show up early.

Morphinity
08-21-2014, 06:41 PM
Are any of our players doing those hockey mini training camps right now (like BioSteel)?

Lt. Dan
08-21-2014, 06:52 PM
Millers ass better be there.

:word: otherwise enjoy the AHL, breh.

I hope some of the other kids like Haggerty and Hayes show up too. Hell even Mcilrath should be up in that bitch too.

Puck Head
08-21-2014, 07:02 PM
Was Miller even suppose to be there last season?
Typically pre-training camp from my experience has been for veterans and NHL locks.
Miller, Mcilrath, Haggerty, etc would not be my first thought.

Typically young players fighting for NHL rosters are training on their own, or typically with former clubs gearing up.

Pete
08-21-2014, 07:15 PM
Was Miller even suppose to be there last season?
Typically pre-training camp from my experience has been for veterans and NHL locks.
Miller, Mcilrath, Haggerty, etc would not be my first thought.

Typically young players fighting for NHL rosters are training on their own, or typically with former clubs gearing up.

There were some reports that the team came together early and he was the only one not to show.

Puck Head
08-21-2014, 07:19 PM
There were some reports that the team came together early and he was the only one not to show.

I never considered him on the team last season, (pre season).
He was 19 and looked a long way from a NHL lock.
I'm not excusing his behavior....but I wouldn't "expect" players such as Fast, Mcilrath, Lindberg, etc to be there early for this years pre training camp.

Pete
08-21-2014, 07:31 PM
I'm not excusing his behavior....but I wouldn't "expect" players such as Fast, Mcilrath, Lindberg, etc to be there early for this years pre training camp.

In context, when Kreider is there and Miller isn't, out says something. Regardless how we feel, the team and coach seemed to take issue, I guess.

NYR2711
08-21-2014, 07:40 PM

I would think though, with knowing a new coach was taking over, that it would be a good idea to attend early on. To me, as a new coach, that would make a good impression. Plus, it's not like he had no shot of making the team. Torts used him alot, so he did have a decent chance in making it.

EdMc28
08-21-2014, 07:46 PM
Zuc was skating at the training center last week.

Captain Clutch
08-21-2014, 11:24 PM
I hadn't seen anything about zuuc, but that's good news too. I can't recall if it was this past year or the shortened season but I remember some Islanders and Devils players joining the Rangers.

Slobberknocker
08-22-2014, 10:16 AM
Millers actions last year didn't do him any favors with the vets for sure. hopefully its a learning curve.

Frickin Zuccs is the shizzle. the smithsonian channel had an hour documentary on the honey badger last nite...

Captain Clutch
08-22-2014, 01:09 PM

All players, on the team or not, usually show up. Bourque and Kristo showed up, Miller didn't

Puck Head
08-22-2014, 03:40 PM
Is there a list of who showed up early for pre season training last year? I'd be interested in seeing that.

Gorilla Salad
08-22-2014, 07:16 PM
Personally, I think that if you want to show you are all in with the team and want to crack the lineup, no matter what, you show up the day before anyone else does and sit there waiting for the door to be unlocked. But that's just me.

Drew a Penalty
08-27-2014, 12:13 PM
Miller, Hayes, Lundqvist, Hrivik (he's always early), Kreider and Haggerty are there. Few others as well that Cerny hasn't mentioned yet via Twitter.

So Nashty
08-27-2014, 12:15 PM
Nice of Miller to show up haha

Captain Clutch
08-27-2014, 01:06 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwDkOVECIAEnQPv.jpg

Kevin Hayes

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwDwYyvIMAAo5Yx.jpg:large

Henrik Lundqvist

So Nashty
08-27-2014, 01:12 PM
ugh is it october yet? though i do have to admit that this off season has flown by so far

momentum
08-27-2014, 03:06 PM
Zuc was skating at the training center last week.

Zuc can't be compared to mere humans.

McDougalfaschnitzer
08-27-2014, 04:52 PM
Not a fan of Hank's new gear scheme, nor his mask.

JOHN
08-27-2014, 05:12 PM

The gear is alright, but I agree with the mask. The dark cage is a big thumbs down for me.

Captain Clutch
08-27-2014, 05:21 PM
Zucc and Brass were there today as well. Rangers posted a gallery here.

http://blueshirtsunited.com/photos/6535/photos-from-the-rangers-informal-skate

Looks like it was Miller, Haggerty, Hayes, Lundqvist, Hrivik, Kreider, Brassard, and Zucc

Drew a Penalty
08-27-2014, 05:34 PM
Cerny said there were 10 skaters, but I have no idea who the other 2 are. One of the images has a kid in a cage.

Captain Clutch
08-27-2014, 05:48 PM
Cerny said there were 10 skaters, but I have no idea who the other 2 are. One of the images has a kid in a cage.

Maybe guys for Traverse City. Cerny hasn't put a list of all the guys there.

Drew a Penalty
08-27-2014, 05:49 PM
Maybe guys for Traverse City. Cerny hasn't put a list of all the guys there.

People have asked him a bunch on Twitter. He's just not saying who the last two are.

TwoMinutesForNothing
08-27-2014, 05:53 PM

The kid in the cage is Petr Zamorsky. He's wearing his Czech socks and his #7 practice jersey.

Captain Clutch
08-27-2014, 05:53 PM
People have asked him a bunch on Twitter. He's just not saying who the last two are.

Ah alright then. Always more news tomorrow. I'd like to see if Malone or any UFA's show up

Captain Clutch
08-27-2014, 05:54 PM
The kid in the cage is Petr Zamorsky. He's wearing his Czech socks and his #7 practice jersey.

Jesus man, eagle eye. He's a guy we haven't heard much about, but I know he has a contract with the team and is on the Traverse City roster.

TwoMinutesForNothing
08-27-2014, 05:56 PM
Jesus man, eagle eye. He's a guy we haven't heard much about, but I know he has a contract with the team and is on the Traverse City roster.

I'm pretty excited about him. Defenseman of the year in the Czech league and very young. Word is he wants to make the team very badly, but if he doesn't he will return to Europe rather than play in the AHL and then give it another shot next season. He was a standout in development camp.

I didn't notice the last player in question, but if I had to guess I'd say it's probably Bodie or McCarthy.

Captain Clutch
08-27-2014, 06:02 PM
No problem with him going to Europe, as long as he wants to return. We've seen how some players are when it comes to that. If he is that good, maybe he can make the team. Lots of possibilities on D though with Moore, McIlrath, Allen and him.

TwoMinutesForNothing
08-27-2014, 06:04 PM
I think the kid in the blue helmet is the last player in question and it looks like it could be McCarthy. Definitely not Bodie.

Captain Clutch
08-27-2014, 06:06 PM
Bodie is the tall one who's super skinny right? If so, I think you're right.

Drew a Penalty
08-27-2014, 06:07 PM
Last one is definitely McCarthy. Looks exactly like him and he's right handed.

momentum
08-28-2014, 01:20 AM

Looks like it was Miller, Haggerty, Hayes, Lundqvist, Hrivik, Kreider, Brassard, and Zucc

and Stepan?? eating cheeseburgers somewhere...

Drew a Penalty
08-28-2014, 01:33 AM
and Stepan?? eating cheeseburgers somewhere...

Nah he's winning stuffed toys at the Minnesota state fair.

<------ See my avatar.

momentum
08-28-2014, 06:12 AM
Nah he's winning stuffed toys at the Minnesota state fair.

<------ See my avatar. my mistake, should have been: and Stepan?? eating fried dough at the fair...

Lt. Dan
08-28-2014, 06:29 AM

Really glad to see those three there already :thumbs:

lefty9
08-28-2014, 10:11 AM
glad to see Krieder here to lead the way for those two rookies,Hayes and Haggerty

Slobberknocker
08-28-2014, 10:24 AM
would be really nice to see a pleasant surprise out of a couple of these kids this camp. Give the management some really tough decisions to make.

how cool must it be for Hayes. two weeks ago your down the shore and then your shooting on Hankie. If it was me it would look like i was carrying two hockey sticks :)

Mike
08-28-2014, 10:30 AM
I love this time of the year. So much speculation, everyone gassed up to return, camp, etc. I like watching, and being a part of training camps. It's interesting how they get into shape, and how they start off a little rusty, and then click after a few skates.

NYR2711
08-28-2014, 11:03 AM
Is everything a little late this year? I feel like Traverse City is usually the middle of August, and camp starts the first week of September. Everything seems later this year to me.

Morphinity
08-28-2014, 11:05 AM
Stepan working hard:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwFQOA0CQAEhMO-.jpg

He's looking pretty thin, Phil.

Phil in Absentia
08-28-2014, 11:10 AM
We'll see come camp. He could be sucking it in and chinning out. Standard techniques for how not to look fat in a photo (I should know). :D

Mike
08-28-2014, 11:47 AM
His girlfriend got ugly

McDougalfaschnitzer
08-28-2014, 12:06 PM
His girlfriend got ugly

What's wrong with a little cushion?

Drew a Penalty
08-28-2014, 12:12 PM
He's wearing a hat so it's hard to tell if he's gone full Messier yet.

Pete
08-28-2014, 01:52 PM
Stepan working hard:

Yea, I got the scoop on that. He's not fat. But he's got no muscle either. He's just sor tof...there.

Morphinity
08-28-2014, 02:02 PM
Yea, I got the scoop on that. He's not fat. But he's got no muscle either. He's just sor tof...there.

Sorry bud, Phil told me he was fat.

Pete
08-28-2014, 02:03 PM

Fat as in being comprised of something other than muscle, soft, pudgy, yes. Obese no.

Morphinity
08-28-2014, 02:14 PM
Fat as in being comprised of something other than muscle, soft, pudgy, yes. Obese no.

Ah.

AmericanJesus
08-28-2014, 02:28 PM
Maybe he's just big boned. You don't know.

Pete
08-28-2014, 02:34 PM
He's size 16 husky.

Captain Clutch
08-28-2014, 02:52 PM
According to Jim Cerny, Hayes is slightly taller than Kreider.

Phil in Absentia
08-28-2014, 03:20 PM

For a hockey player, he is.

I'm willing to bet his Body Fat Percentage (BFP) is significantly higher than the better conditioned athletes on the team/in the NHL.

From what I understand, most training staffs want their players to shoot for below 12% BFP coming into training camp, and try to get to 8-10% for the regular season. Stepan is probably well above 12% even during the year, let alone what he comes into camp at. You can just tell by looking at him. There's no "lean" on him. No real muscle definition. I'd seriously question anyone saying he's operating at the same, or is even within relative range of the BFP of most top-6 forwards.

On a related note, Jonathan Drouin, when he makes the NHL this season, is going to be coming in < 6% BFP. I've read he's going to have one of the lowest BFP's of any player since Pavel Bure, who came in at 5.5% in his rookie season. That's nuts, even for a smaller guy.

momentum
08-28-2014, 05:21 PM

Exactly, for a professional hockey player it's remarkable how little muscle mass he seem to have. Seriously go to the gym already and lift some weights...it's not enough with just spinning and jogging ffs.

DiJock94
08-28-2014, 05:25 PM
Exactly, for a professional hockey player it's remarkable how little muscle mass he seem to have. Seriously go to the gym already and lift some weights...it's not enough with just spinning and jogging ffs.

Brassard seems to have the exact same problem. Neither of those guys look like an athlete.

Myusername
08-28-2014, 08:25 PM
You guys have a serious crush on Stepan

Respecttheblue
08-28-2014, 08:49 PM

I'm thinking those pads look like traffic barriers and will dissuade 5 hole attempts, and psych out some types of shots ... expect to make more glove saves Hank?

Respecttheblue
08-28-2014, 09:04 PM
Stepan working hard:

Stylish slim, almost skinny jeans. Thought it must be the guitarist for the Plain Blue Tees or something.

Flyers are trembling in their orange wife-beater shirts already.

Slobberknocker
08-29-2014, 09:22 AM
with boyle and cally being gone, looks like the boards got a new whipping boy.

Pete
08-29-2014, 09:34 AM

We've been calling Stepan pudgy for years, dude. :rolleyes:

Morphinity
08-29-2014, 10:35 AM

"New"? Take a look at the "Regression of Derek Stepan" thread.

Pete
08-29-2014, 10:57 AM
Good player playing shitty -> Gets called out for playing shitty -> Rage ensues.

momentum
08-29-2014, 01:52 PM
whipping boy? look at him, i understand some ppl naturally have a "less cut body" or more evenly distributed fat across their body etc, making it look like they aren't working out or are not strong when perhaps they actually are, I know becaue I am a person like that myself, doesn't matter how much i train or diet I will never be quite as cut as some ppl with the same effort.
I remember working out as hell with my friend and he looked like his muscles were 10 times bigger than mine and in better shape because he was cut, yet i out bench pressed him and out ran him every time...it made him crazy...i simply had the muscle AND a little fat distributed everywhere as well, making it look like i wasn't in as good shape.

Not everyone can be cut like hell but ANYONE can add muscle and get BIGGER, i wouldn't care so much that stepan doesn't have a sixpack or a seriously cut body if he had that sixpack and those muscles underneath his nice even fat layer..but he has neither...you can easily see that this guy never do any real strenght training with weights...even his legs are surprisingly thin but not "in shape wirey thin"..he's no muscle WITH fatmlayer........thats the problem....you get big thigh muscles simply from spinning a lot...what's stopping him...he looks like he never worked out in his life which im sure isn't true but still.

when i look at him i honestly can't believe he's a hockey player in the NHL.
Wouldn't hurt him to put some more time in in the weight training room, adding muscle would help him tremendously not only in being stronger on the puck but things like faceoffs would be helped as well.

Lt. Dan
08-29-2014, 02:30 PM
Yea, I don't see how getting on his case about his fitness level makes him a whipping boy. Wouldn't hurt to get stronger. Maybe it would stop him from trying to telegraph passes into the zone and carry that shit in there. He's soft, that's no secret.

I'm also a huge Stepan fan. Always have been but I'd like to see him put on some muscle.

Myusername
08-29-2014, 05:12 PM
You guys honestly think the coaches have not given this any consideration? Some people just have a hard time gaining muscle and/or maintaining a low body fat %.

At least he's come some way from the frail stick figure he was when he was in college. Could be worse.

Pete
08-29-2014, 05:59 PM
I know the coaches have considered it. It's something the organization has issue with.

Captain Clutch
08-31-2014, 05:15 PM
Need more news!!!

Respecttheblue
08-31-2014, 08:56 PM
Stepan working hard:

After beating up on Steps' skinny jeans and blue suede shoes, and plain blue tee, not to mention the musicianly physique,
I'm gonna look at the +ve side of this pic:
he won the biggest toy in the fair — must mean his shot is already in midseason form :}

Phil in Absentia
09-02-2014, 11:59 AM
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4334542/Screen%20Shot%202014-09-02%20at%2012.01.55%20PM.png

CreaseCrusader91
09-02-2014, 12:02 PM
Good, hopefully he can teach some guys how to dangle.

Captain Clutch
09-02-2014, 01:23 PM
‏@stevezipay

Odds aside, about 15 players held informal skate today at #NYR training center, including MSL, Staal, DMoore, Lundqvist, Girardi, DBoyle

Brassard, Miller, Zucc, Kreider, Hagelin Also there.

Thump23
09-02-2014, 01:59 PM
Kovalev was there too, today. Maybe he was helping Kreider with his break away moves.

Slobberknocker
09-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Kovalev was there too, today. Maybe he was helping Kreider with his break away moves.

or his spinarama.

guess steps manning up with a broken jaw in the playoffs gets no respect...

FleshistheFever
09-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Stepan will be all speed. He must have shed 15lbs. He looked husky this past year.

Respecttheblue
09-05-2014, 12:31 AM
http://blueshirtsunited.com/videos/6541/catching-up-with-rangers-stanley-cup-winner-alex-kovalev#.VAkuPFaTzvZ

http://blueshirtsunited.com/videos/6541/catching-up-with-rangers-stanley-cup-winner-alex-kovalev#.VAkuPFaTzvZ

As a forever #27 Kovy fan I loved every minute of this. Kovy showing great hands and a fast first step, and he claims to be rusty. At 41 he says no one would be interested in me. I dunno. Not so fast. Just having fun? I like what I see, and the guy is in shape; check out those defined cheek bones. (P.S. how old is Jagr again?)

Sign me up. I am too much of a Kovy fanboi to say no.

Also enjoyed the comment about Keenan telling them that people were saying "Russians don't care about winning the Stanley Cup" to motivate them
Kovy said it was nothing odd to him, "the Russian Rangers players were used to coaches who used to motivate us like that, like Tikhonov" but it was very gratifying being the first group of Russians with their name on The Cup (Kovy, Karpy, Nemchinov, Zubov).

RichieNextel305
09-05-2014, 08:17 AM
I don't know if there's a spot for him here with our depth on the wing, especially if Malone ultimately winds up here. But Kovalev will always look like he belongs. The man has maybe the best hands many of us have ever seen. Sure he's just skating for enjoyment at this point, but sure he also prays a team gives him 1 more shot.

Pete
09-05-2014, 08:23 AM
It's the first skate of pre-camp...How can anyone say he looks good or bad? It's a far cry from mud season shape.

I'm probably his biggest fan, but he's done.

momentum
09-05-2014, 08:23 AM
Sign him up baby!! KOVY!!

Vodka Drunkenski
09-05-2014, 08:40 AM
First jersey I ever had...besides my own.

Sickest mitts I've ever seen...besides my own.

Slobberknocker
09-05-2014, 09:32 AM
great to see him skating with the kids. also great to see the rangers imparting that family type atmosphere, where an ex player is always welcomed back.

question: does AV watch those skates? is he allowed to?

Respecttheblue
09-05-2014, 08:13 PM
great to see him skating with the kids. also great to see the rangers imparting that family type atmosphere, where an ex player is always welcomed back.

question: does AV watch those skates? is he allowed to?

I hear that Tortorella had one of the staff drill a couple of peep-holes through the wall, lots of walls in fact (actually peepholes) did anyone tell AV, I dunno? [JK].

The Dude
09-06-2014, 03:22 PM
What i lovrd most about Kovalev was how damn strong he was on the puck. Nice set of movrs and all that, but the guy could skate/fight through all the clutching and grabbing, but also grind it out along the boards. You would rarely see him knocked off of the puck, or knocked on his ass.

Hope he can teach Nash his secrets to being so damn strong on the puck.