PDA

View Full Version : Which Rangers Will Improve This Season?

Phil in Absentia
07-31-2014, 03:03 PM
Whether you are basing it on age, talent or otherwise, I'm curious who everyone thinks might/will improve (statistically) this season?

Right side of 30, wrong side of 30. Doesn't matter. Who gets better and why?

--

Personally, the two players I'm thinking benefit most this season are Stepan and Kreider.

Stepan is going to be the beneficiary of a really fortuitous situation, where he'll again step into this season as the Rangers' default number one center, despite the fact most folks would rather the team had a better option to deploy in place of him. Their lack of a better option allows him to play the year with, in essence, whatever rotation works of a group consisting of Rick Nash, Mats Zuccarello, Martin St. Louis and Chris Kreider. Not exactly poor company to be around, and let's face it, it's not as though he doesn't have a history of performing well in contract years.

Kreider, similarly, really had a standout year, and with a penned in spot this season on a team he's already made (no camp fight this time around), he's gonna be getting a full 82 game schedule, most likely playing with a guy renowned for making his line mates better in St. Louis.

Puck Head
07-31-2014, 03:08 PM
Kreider
J Moore
Stepan

Those are my 3 picks

Phil in Absentia
07-31-2014, 03:12 PM
I was actually gonna go out on a limb for John Moore as well, but I figured I'd let someone else go to bat for him. His situation is a little different, with Staal and McDonagh above him. Kind of limits his use/minutes, so unless you think he's jumping into the special teams situation, or the third and fourth lines are going to score more as well, I'm not really sure how he'll benefit, other than an 82 game schedule with a better partner than Del Zotto?

Pete
07-31-2014, 03:24 PM
I think we're all going agree Kreider will produce more than last year.

I think Brassard will, as well. He's going to get an increased role, full year and camp with MZA, I just think it bodes well for him to pass the 50 point plateau.

I think Staal probably produces a little more than last year. He's another year used to the eye, already a season under AV, and frankly it wouldn't be too hard to surpass last year's numbers.

I think if MZA stays healthy he also throws up a few more points simply from playing 82 games and not having to recover from a hand injury.

Morphinity
07-31-2014, 03:26 PM
Hagelin.

He was great in the playoffs, and was, at times, our best forward. I think the playoffs opened his eyes to how much his speed can really be effective in this league and on this team. He's always been quite inconsistent (too much so for my taste), but I think this is the year that changes and he is really a force throughout the entire season.
__

Zuccarello also improves.

We saw flashes of brilliance out of him. He's obviously got the skills and he still has a lot to prove. I think we see a breakout from Zuccarello after his first, full successful season in the NHL. I'll save the number for the ballsy prediction thread. :)

AmericanJesus
07-31-2014, 03:28 PM
I think Staal has a chance of improving this season. I think Staal's shown in the past that he can do some things offensively and we do get glimpses, although they have been few and far between. I think he's got a good shot of improving offensively whether he is ultimately paired with Girardi or Boyle. It's also a contract year, so putting up some points on the board won't hurt his cause there as well.

I think John Moore is approaching the shit or get off the pot situation. He either realizes the potential his strengths can create or else it's time to move on from him and give another young defender a serious look (Allen?). That could mean he elevates his offensive game finally. Or maybe he's out the door.

I think the other Moore, Dominic improves as well. It took him a while to get going last season (1a over the first 24 games), but he's capable of putting up better numbers than he did. I think 25-30 points isn't outside of the realm of possibility this season.

Patrick Bateman
07-31-2014, 03:31 PM
Henrik Lundqvist - 2nd year in the system, and he settled in nicely after a round start. His stats are almost guaranteed to be better

Rick Nash - I'll be optimistic and say he has no where else to go but up

Phil in Absentia
07-31-2014, 03:42 PM
Henrik Lundqvist - 2nd year in the system, and he settled in nicely after a round start. His stats are almost guaranteed to be better

Rick Nash - I'll be optimistic and say he has no where else to go but up

In the regular season? He's actually done fine there, statistically. It's the playoffs where he falls off the map.

0.6 P/G regular season last year, 0.4 P/G playoffs.

0.95 P/G regular season year prior, 0.42 P/G playoffs.

MacTruck
07-31-2014, 03:42 PM
Stepan
Kreider
Miller
McDonagh
Staal
J. Moore

Patrick Bateman
07-31-2014, 03:44 PM
In the regular season? He's actually done fine there, statistically. It's the playoffs where he falls off the map.

0.6 P/G regular season last year, 0.4 P/G playoffs.

0.95 P/G regular season year prior, 0.42 P/G playoffs.
That .6 PPG was the lowest of his career aside from his rookie season though

Phil in Absentia
07-31-2014, 03:50 PM

He also dealt with concussions, I yeah, I see what you are saying. I'd expect a tick up from that number as well (though probably not encroaching on the 0.95 clip he was at in the shortened season). He finished the year with 39 points in 65 games, so I'd expect a return to his career average of around 0.7 to 0.8 P/G (57 to 66 points over 82 games).

fletch
07-31-2014, 03:54 PM
The 2013-4 Rangers really built from an inauspicious start to the season to peaking in the playoffs. It really didn't seem like we were hitting on all cylinders until the 2nd half of the Pittsburgh playoff series. So for me, this question is about who can carry their playoff performance into this year, and play more consistently.

MSL should benefit from bonding with this team (even more) during a training camp and by having a better understanding of the Rangers' way of doing things.

Hagelin jumps out as someone who utilized his speed effectively on breaks and in the offensive zone, and who I hope can contribute more consistently during the season.

Kreider really impressed me as well, and is a promising young talent I hope to see continue to improve.

The optimist sees an opportunity to build on last year's experience and an opportunity to make another run at the Cup. A pessimist sees player performances that may not be sustainable, potential regression, and a team that could coast by not working hard enough.

I'm trying to remain in an optimistic mindset.

Patrick Bateman
07-31-2014, 03:58 PM
He also dealt with concussions, I yeah, I see what you are saying. I'd expect a tick up from that number as well (though probably not encroaching on the 0.95 clip he was at in the shortened season). He finished the year with 39 points in 65 games, so I'd expect a return to his career average of around 0.7 to 0.8 P/G (57 to 66 points over 82 games).

I think we can see .85 PPG if everyone's right about Stepan improving

Phil in Absentia
07-31-2014, 04:01 PM
I think we can see .85 PPG if everyone's right about Stepan improving

That would matter more, IMO, on who the other wing is. MSL? Stepan has not historically been a player who made others around him better, so Nash getting back to 0.85 P/G would be more of his own volition, and less because Stepan was driving the engine.

Morphinity
07-31-2014, 04:05 PM

But his goals per game (which is what matters with him) was on point for the most part.

.40 g/g last year vs. 43 g/g career.

CreaseCrusader91
07-31-2014, 04:05 PM
Ryan McDonagh: I think he breaks 50 points this year. He was great last year, and think he has even more in him.

Rick Nash: I think a fire will be lit in him, as he knows he is entering dangerous territory. He wanted to come here, and he hasn't come through where the team needs him most, in the playoffs.

Derick Brassard and MZA: Both are a package deal that will feed off each other.

Kreider: A given.

Hagelin: It will be interesting to see how the lines shake out, but a 20-20-40 year could be possible at the very least this season.

Patrick Bateman
07-31-2014, 04:12 PM
That would matter more, IMO, on who the other wing is. MSL? Stepan has not historically been a player who made others around him better, so Nash getting back to 0.85 P/G would be more of his own volition, and less because Stepan was driving the engine.

Well I think Stepan making the players around him better would need to be a big factor in his improvement as a player

momentum
07-31-2014, 04:31 PM
Great thread. Good thing for the Rangers is that they went so far with many players not having stand out years and some even having bad years. There is tons of room for improvement for lots of players. Players I expect to have better numbers:

Nash
Kreider
Stepan
Brassard
MSL
Zuccarello

that's our whole top 6 but I really think they all can improve their numbers.

I also think Miller could have a breakthrough year and new guys like Stempniak could make nice impact if things goes well.

on defense I think Staal could really improve his numbers, especially if he plays with Boyle.

Dr. Jimmy
07-31-2014, 04:40 PM
I think Klein also benefits from a full camp/season here as well....

Stepan it
07-31-2014, 04:49 PM
Nash .... please...please let it be Nash

Mike
07-31-2014, 09:55 PM
If Kreider's numbers don't increase, I'll be very upset. No more excuses, he's been through it all. Let's fuckin go.

ThirtyONE
08-01-2014, 12:54 AM
Hagdaddy
Step
Kreider

and whoever fills the 6th d spot.

I was never impressed with Hags until this playoff. Dude was on another level. Can't wait to see him with some confidence this season.