PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed: Rangers Re-Sign [F] Derick Brassard to 5-Year/$25M Extension; $5M AAV

nyrfan61
07-27-2014, 03:40 PM
Derick Brassard has agreed to terms with the New York Rangers on a new contract, the team announced Sunday. The contract is reportedly for five years and worth $25 million, according to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman.

Brassard, who turns 27 years old in September, was a restricted free agent whose arbitration hearing was scheduled for Monday.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=727222&navid=DL|NHL|home

Blue Heaven
07-27-2014, 03:41 PM
:tweet: Larry Brooks
Brassard, Rangers reach agreement on five-year, $25M contract in advance of tomorrow's scheduled arb hearing...

thecurse0101
07-27-2014, 03:42 PM
Cool now we can avoid the drama of players missing camp

RangersFan
07-27-2014, 03:43 PM
Good signing

Puck Head
07-27-2014, 03:44 PM
Seems very fair to me.
I think Sather did well this off season in regards to the UFA/RFA group.

Sign Moore for approx. 1 million, and that should leave us approx. 1.5 million in space.

momentum
07-27-2014, 03:45 PM
Great signing, very fair. I think down the line this is going to be like Klein's contract a pretty nice bang for the buck. Also shows that Brassard really wants to be here IMO.

Drew a Penalty
07-27-2014, 03:47 PM
I'm okay with it. I guess that's the current price of a second line center, but I think it's a bit much for Brassard considering he's still pretty unproven.

momentum
07-27-2014, 03:50 PM
I'm okay with it. I guess that's the current price of a second line center, but I think it's a bit much for Brassard considering he's still pretty unproven.

He has stepped UP his play 2 playoffs in a row, that proved A LOT to me and tells me it's a player we should try to keep.

rmc51
07-27-2014, 03:50 PM
I'm good with it. I think everyone or most here will be.

RichieNextel305
07-27-2014, 03:51 PM
Good stuff. Fair deal.

Drew a Penalty
07-27-2014, 03:55 PM
He has stepped UP his play 2 playoffs in a row, that proved A LOT to me and tells me it's a player we should try to keep.

He was good for some of the playoffs this year. He was great against Pittsburgh, but was pretty much invisible for every other series. He's proven some, but still not a whole lot.

momentum
07-27-2014, 04:03 PM
He was good for some of the playoffs this year. He was great against Pittsburgh, but was pretty much invisible for every other series. He's proven some, but still not a whole lot.

That's why he makes 5 mil, not 7.

Drew a Penalty
07-27-2014, 04:10 PM
That's why he makes 5 mil, not 7.

Half a million makes a difference as well. I'd argue that Brassard isn't a $5M player. He's a 45 point player.

Phil in Absentia
07-27-2014, 04:10 PM
:tweet: @FriedgeHNIC: One note: Brassard deal not yet signed, but tomorrow's arbitration hearing is cancelled

Gorilla Salad
07-27-2014, 04:38 PM
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=727222&navid=DL|NHL|home

Broadway Brass

Derick Brassard has agreed to terms with the New York Rangers on a new contract, the team announced Sunday. The contract is reportedly for five years and worth $25 million, according to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman.

Gorilla Salad
07-27-2014, 04:40 PM
On a side note, as I read the article, I scrolled down and noticed this post from some jackoff...

Thankyou CMpunk · Top Commenter

Damn, next year:
BREAKING: Goalie [insert a team's goalie here] out indefinitely due to a deliberate, inexorable headshot from Rags' Derick Brassard. More on this story as updates become available. Goalies should be wearing bullet-proof jackets and heavy metal face masks when facing this dolt-filled team.

Reply ·

· 36 seconds ago

phillyb™
07-27-2014, 05:31 PM
cool.

Jules
07-27-2014, 05:54 PM
I have no issue with this deal. The cap will go up, this is simply the going rate right now, he's really found his role, there's growing potential and he looked great with Zuccarello and will be aided by playing with Stempniak.

Morphinity
07-27-2014, 06:06 PM
Damn fucking right.

NYR2711
07-27-2014, 06:24 PM
I can deal with this, as long as Sather wasn't dumb enough to give him a NTC / NMC. I still think it's a little high, he still has a little more to prove in the regular season IMO.

Greenday4537
07-27-2014, 06:49 PM
Great. Now if only we could take all the money being spent on Nash could be paid to guys who can score, we could dominate.

fletch
07-27-2014, 07:04 PM
Good deal, 5 years is the max number of years I would have gone... and it helped keep the cap hit manageable.

Pete
07-27-2014, 07:30 PM
This is a very, very good deal.

The Dude
07-27-2014, 07:38 PM
Guess u cant complain about over paying by 500k.

I hope he improves. Like the kid a lot.

Just odd a player like him makes this much money.

With contracts like this going out, I dont doubt another lock out after this CBA runs out. Which is when?

The Dude
07-27-2014, 07:55 PM
Cool now we can avoid the drama of players missing camp

Damn good point.

AmericanJesus
07-27-2014, 07:56 PM
I like 5X5 better than 5X3 or 4.5X1. It's not a great deal but not a terrible one either. Fair deal, with slight over payment now but probably enough value in years 4 and 5 to offset it.

!br-avery!
07-27-2014, 07:57 PM
Pretty fair all around'
Hoping he can step up his production a little more seeing as hes going to get more ice-time

Slobberknocker
07-27-2014, 08:26 PM
Slats has done a great job this off season. good to see the boys not asking for the moon either.

Phil in Absentia
07-27-2014, 08:40 PM
I can deal with this, as long as Sather wasn't dumb enough to give him a NTC / NMC. I still think it's a little high, he still has a little more to prove in the regular season IMO.

He'll probably have a modified NTC. It's a form of currency.

Pete
07-27-2014, 09:07 PM
There is a limited no trade clause.

ThirtyONE
07-27-2014, 09:21 PM
5 years is a nice chunk of time. Good deal. And his contract is very tradeable if comes to that later on.

Respecttheblue
07-27-2014, 11:01 PM

I'm alright with it, but one thing that bugs me is that when we're talking the current price for a second line center, where on the second line center curve do we want to be, and same goes for the first line center.

OK, last year, might have been lightning in a bottle for the team, a team that essentially no longer exists, so in what remains, down the middle and top 6 is where we need to excel to re-achieve greatness.
Derick is a nice signing, a good signing, but is a 45 point a year center the second line center a great team needs, or that a contender needs?

Yeah, maybe I'm nitpicking, and don't get me wrong, I like Brassard a lot as a person (at least what we see as fans) and as a player — and I'd like him more if we had a much stronger center ahead of him (after all it's not Brassard's fault that Stepan is currently a lower tier first line center). So, to me he's a solid middle of the pack second line center on a team that is aiming for the top of the heap in achievement.
Will that be enough?

Maybe, maybe it just might be.

If he gets Brad Richards 18 minutes TOI/game — as opposed to his last year 15 min TOI/game — i.e. 20 percent more, Brassard could come through.

He's definitely more intuitive and skilled than Dubinsky, who is now getting those 18 minutes in CBJ, and earning them and getting paid a good deal more, so in that sense, fair.

Can he be a horse, can he take the extra hits (to make a play) he's gonna get in 18 minutes a game — and also give as much pushback back?

I'm not saying this to be pissy or contrarian; these are just the thoughts that go through my head as I see us try to re-fashion a contending team, and seeing Stepan ranking 25/30 in first line centers (http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20142ALLSASAll&viewName=summary&sort=player.position.positionCode&pg=1) and Brassard ranking about 17/30, by points (http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20142ALLSASAll&viewName=summary&sort=player.position.positionCode&pg=2), in the second group of 30 centers. Yes, just numbers, but they look about right for what we see with our eyes. [It's a good thing Stepans numbers are going quietly up]

It's a big responsibility: more ice time, more important role. I'm optimistic he can maybe become an even better center, hit that 52 point mark, maybe even better it.

I don't see the glass either half full or half empty. But I'm gonna drink it all the same, cos secretly I'm hoping he's part of the equation that helps ignite Nash this year.

Just thoughts, questions, hopes as we go into the hopefully great unknown of next year.

Slats has done a great job this off season. good to see the boys not asking for the moon either.

Yes. That too!

Jules
07-27-2014, 11:17 PM
It's a smart move to have his deal drop off in actual money in the later years. Especially with the rising cap, it'll be a more interesting deal to trade away if need be to a smaller market or cash-strapped smaller market team. It's pretty good work by Sather.

momentum
07-28-2014, 08:56 AM
I'm alright with it, but one thing that bugs me is that when we're talking the current price for a second line center, where on the second line center curve do we want to be, and same goes for the first line center.

OK, last year, might have been lightning in a bottle for the team, a team that essentially no longer exists, so in what remains, down the middle and top 6 is where we need to excel to re-achieve greatness.
Derick is a nice signing, a good signing, but is a 45 point a year center the second line center a great team needs, or that a contender needs?

Yeah, maybe I'm nitpicking, and don't get me wrong, I like Brassard a lot as a person (at least what we see as fans) and as a player — and I'd like him more if we had a much stronger center ahead of him (after all it's not Brassard's fault that Stepan is currently a lower tier first line center). So, to me he's a solid middle of the pack second line center on a team that is aiming for the top of the heap in achievement.
Will that be enough?

Maybe, maybe it just might be.

If he gets Brad Richards 18 minutes TOI/game — as opposed to his last year 15 min TOI/game — i.e. 20 percent more, Brassard could come through.

He's definitely more intuitive and skilled than Dubinsky, who is now getting those 18 minutes in CBJ, and earning them and getting paid a good deal more, so in that sense, fair.

Can he be a horse, can he take the extra hits (to make a play) he's gonna get in 18 minutes a game — and also give as much pushback back?

I'm not saying this to be pissy or contrarian; these are just the thoughts that go through my head as I see us try to re-fashion a contending team, and seeing Stepan ranking 25/30 in first line centers (http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20142ALLSASAll&viewName=summary&sort=player.position.positionCode&pg=1) and Brassard ranking about 17/30, by points (http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20142ALLSASAll&viewName=summary&sort=player.position.positionCode&pg=2), in the second group of 30 centers. Yes, just numbers, but they look about right for what we see with our eyes. [It's a good thing Stepans numbers are going quietly up]

It's a big responsibility: more ice time, more important role. I'm optimistic he can maybe become an even better center, hit that 52 point mark, maybe even better it.

I don't see the glass either half full or half empty. But I'm gonna drink it all the same, cos secretly I'm hoping he's part of the equation that helps ignite Nash this year.

Just thoughts, questions, hopes as we go into the hopefully great unknown of next year.

Yes. That too!

I actually believe Brassard has yet to show his best hockey and I think he will thrive if given more minutes like you talked about. He can certainly handle it IMO.

Mike
07-28-2014, 09:26 AM
I like the signing. The only things that concerns me is that Brass disappears for long stretches. I don't mind his point production, but it comes in bunches. I'd rather see it spread out a little more evenly. Don't be invisible for 5 games, and then give me a grape, and 2 apples in a 7-1 victory over the Panthers.

Pete
07-28-2014, 09:30 AM
If there's one thing Brassard has shown, he's a big game player. When he isn't putting up points, it's usually due to him trying to pass too much our be too fancy.

Slobberknocker
07-28-2014, 09:33 AM
at the end of the post article today it stated that the rangers still have 4 miln left to sign moore and possibly 2 depth players. this
number seemed a bit high to me but maybe it depends on if any rfa's make the team or not. never the less i'm really liking the fact we will go into camp with no contract holdouts.

Mike
07-28-2014, 09:40 AM
If there's one thing Brassard has shown, he's a big game player. When he isn't putting up points, it's usually due to him trying to pass too much our be too fancy.

He has stepped up in big games. He's also been invisible during the playoffs as well. Love the Pens series, and the goal in game 4 of the ECF. He does the same thing during the regular season. There's a switch in him somewhere, just wish it wouldn't flicker as much as it does. I hope with increased ice, and a bigger role, things will change. Then again, after some guys get paid, they get worse. I don't believe that's Brassard, I'm just saying it happens.

NYR2711
07-28-2014, 11:15 AM
I like the signing. The only things that concerns me is that Brass disappears for long stretches. I don't mind his point production, but it comes in bunches. I'd rather see it spread out a little more evenly. Don't be invisible for 5 games, and then give me a grape, and 2 apples in a 7-1 victory over the Panthers.

This is exactly my concern with him, and why I didn't want to go to $5.5M. Even $5M right now is a little high for me, but I understand the contract. I hate that he has a NTC, but thats because I hate that they give them out like candy now. Anyone know what his NTC is?

Slobberknocker
07-28-2014, 12:23 PM
Supposedly it is a limited no trade clause.

the post article also mentioned something about guaranteed money in the form of signing bonuses in the back end. i guess that's why the back end comes in low at 3.5 mln base.

Thump23
07-28-2014, 12:53 PM
Considering their options and the fact that he should be entering the prime of his career, I think it's a pretty fair deal.

kerrs7
07-28-2014, 05:37 PM
Actually very happy Brassard Re-signed as well as Zuc and Krieder....now Just JM and maybe one other and I am already looking forward to the season ahead. Purchased Flyers tickets for MSG on the 29th Nov 2014 as coming to NYC....If anyone wants to pop bye and say hello....!