PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed: Rangers Sign [F] Lee Stempniak to 1-Year/$900K Contract; 900K AAV

Phil in Absentia
07-18-2014, 11:00 PM
:tweet: @DarrenDreger: Lee Stempniak is closing in on a 1 yr agreement with the NY Rangers.

:tweet: @maydayhockey: The NY Rangers have signed FA forward Lee Stempniak to a one year deal. @YahooSportsNHL @Sportsnet

--

Assets: Can be a special-teams factor, and can even play the point on the power play. Owns good quickness and a sneaky wrister. Can play either wing position and displays goal-scoring acumen.

Flaws: Doesn't have a lot of refinement in his play without the puck. Is somewhat undersized, which hinders his ability to win puck battles consistently. He's too streaky as a scorer.

Career Potential: Inconsistent but decent veteran winger.

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.php?2922

Jules
07-18-2014, 11:00 PM
No more information yet than this tweet:

:tweet: @DarrenDreger: Lee Stempniak is closing in on a 1 yr agreement with the NY Rangers.

---

A very solid third line winger though (34P in 73G with Flames and Penguins), especially on a flexible deal and probably not too expensive. Really digging this.

torontonyr
07-18-2014, 11:02 PM
I've always been a pretty big Stempniak fan. Good signing.

Phil in Absentia
07-18-2014, 11:03 PM
Thinking one-year, just shy over $1M. Fine with this type of pick-up. He's 31.

Good power play forward. Very much like Pouliot.

High and Wide
07-18-2014, 11:03 PM
Glad I didn't post it a third time. :D

Looking forward to seeing the numbers, but this should be a nice pick-up. I think he'll do well here.

Morphinity
07-18-2014, 11:05 PM
There's going to be a bit of competition in camp, me thinks.

Phil in Absentia
07-18-2014, 11:32 PM
:tweet: @maydayhockey: The NY Rangers have signed FA forward Lee Stempniak to a one year deal. @YahooSportsNHL @Sportsnet

This RT by Nick Kypreos.

JOHN
07-18-2014, 11:34 PM
Doesn't have the Pouliot edge to his game or size/speed combo, but none the less he will be a good replacement considering our options. Not upset with this signing at all.

NYRanger11
07-18-2014, 11:49 PM
Solid signing

Jules
07-19-2014, 12:05 AM
Doesn't have the Pouliot edge to his game or size/speed combo, but none the less he will be a good replacement considering our options. Not upset with this signing at all.

His wrist shot can be absolutely uuuuunnnnnggh at times. Scored some fantastic goals over the years, but pretty streaky. Should fit well though and works on PP.

TwoMinutesForNothing
07-19-2014, 12:17 AM
He's right-handed too, which is big for us since we had zero righty wingers and only 1 righty forward in Stepan.

Morphinity
07-19-2014, 12:19 AM
He's right-handed too, which is big for us since we had zero righty wingers and only 1 righty forward in Stepan.

Haggerty is right-handed! :thumbs:

CreaseCrusader91
07-19-2014, 12:23 AM
Dude has a cannon of a shot too on the one-timer.

http://youtu.be/DtDIZChtDUA?t=19s

TwoMinutesForNothing
07-19-2014, 12:32 AM
Curious to see the money. Couldn't have been much. The Pens must be a real mess for him to not go back there because they liked him a lot. Although he is from Dartmouth so he should be smart enough to know he has a better shot at a Cup here.

Faiz
07-19-2014, 12:45 AM
Solid signing, but I'm still worried about signing Kreider, Brassard and Zuccs first.
Really anticipating their contracts to see what they'll be looking like.

I think Rangers are done shopping, we have enough talent, and they are the last 3 pieces.
Really like the Stempniak and Lombardi signings, have high hopes for these teams this coming season.
Gonna be a competitive camp, but the depth of this team is unbelievable.

Issue is still at the C, but that could go either way, only time will tell. We have the potential to be solid at the C, with depth.
I expect big seasons out of Stepan and Brassard so hopefully it works out well.

Pete
07-19-2014, 01:04 AM
Wow I got one right.

Steven.
07-19-2014, 02:31 AM
Excellent depth signing

Bonus is the righty shot

RangersFan
07-19-2014, 02:49 AM
Nice

CreaseCrusader91
07-19-2014, 09:15 AM
:tweet:@NYP_Brooksie: Stempniak in at one year, $900.000 for #NYR. Who else didn't play well for Pens against NYR in playoffs that team can sign?

TwoMinutesForNothing
07-19-2014, 09:16 AM
1 year $900k. Really good deal, very surprising, even somewhat perplexing that he would sign for so little.

josh
07-19-2014, 09:19 AM
Yeah good deal. Not a big fan of his, but that's an acceptable caphit

BlairBettsBlocksEverything
07-19-2014, 09:30 AM
I wanted him a number of years ago. He's not exactly the same player but a solid signing. Looks like Sayher wants those arbitration dates to be the end of his offseason. Definitely adding depth before hand.

momentum
07-19-2014, 09:58 AM
REALLY good signing, TONS of upside with a guy like this who can score when you least expect it with that wrister of his...love it, even though he's not an elite player by any means he really solidifies our lineup a ton.

Slobberknocker
07-19-2014, 10:07 AM
Curious to see the money. Couldn't have been much. The Pens must be a real mess for him to not go back there because they liked him a lot. Although he is from Dartmouth so he should be smart enough to know he has a better shot at a Cup here.

thanks. this really made me smile while drinking my morning joe.

phillyb™
07-19-2014, 10:24 AM
very cool.
this team is going to be fun to watch next year.

Ranger Lothbrok
07-19-2014, 10:43 AM
I think I mentioned this in another thread, but back when we drafted Jessiman I went with my dad to see him play at Princeton's Hobey Baker Arena. Half hour drive, good chance to see what we had on our hands. Well...he was big. That's about it. He was slow, looked disinterested, and was just unimpressive. Meanwhile, there was another guy who was a FIFTH round pick who was flying all over the ice, and that was Stempniak. I remember thinking that he looked way more like a 1st rounder than Jessiman.

Anyway, I've wanted him on our team since that day over a decade ago. Glad it finally happened. REALLY love this signing for our lower line depth. We were worried about losing so many of them, but methinks we're going to be just fine. We kept Dom Moore, who IMO pushed the Boyle-Dorsett line to the highest level. Nobody was talking about our fourth line before Dom Moore showed up. I think we'll be A-OK.

Now we just need some of our top line guys to show up. This team may not be AS good as last season, on paper, but it's not substantially worse. And you can't discount the fact that several of our players are only going to get better, because they're still young, and they now all have SCF experience under their belts.

Love, love, LOVE this signing.

Slobberknocker
07-19-2014, 11:03 AM
can he win faceoffs?

NYR2711
07-19-2014, 11:05 AM
Great signing, can't beat that cap hit. No risks involved here, and if he works out well, this could be a steal.

Steven.
07-19-2014, 11:17 AM
Shut up, Brooks.

$900K is a crazy steal. How is he making $550k less than Glass -_-

Morphinity
07-19-2014, 11:21 AM
I think we found our Pouliot replacement, in terms of production at least. .47 p/g last year to Pouliot's .45 p/g.

Captain Clutch
07-19-2014, 11:54 AM
He'll easily take pouliot's spot. Not sure how Brooks can see this as a negative.

Puck Head
07-19-2014, 12:25 PM
Wow I got one right.

Nice call.

RangersFan
07-19-2014, 01:10 PM
:tweet:@NYP_Brooksie: Stempniak in at one year, $900.000 for #NYR. Who else didn't play well for Pens against NYR in playoffs that team can sign?

Rangers actually make a good signing and Brooks shits on it. :rolleyes:

RangersFan
07-19-2014, 01:19 PM
I think I mentioned this in another thread, but back when we drafted Jessiman I went with my dad to see him play at Princeton's Hobey Baker Arena. Half hour drive, good chance to see what we had on our hands. Well...he was big. That's about it. He was slow, looked disinterested, and was just unimpressive. Meanwhile, there was another guy who was a FIFTH round pick who was flying all over the ice, and that was Stempniak. I remember thinking that he looked way more like a 1st rounder than Jessiman.

Anyway, I've wanted him on our team since that day over a decade ago. Glad it finally happened. REALLY love this signing for our lower line depth. We were worried about losing so many of them, but methinks we're going to be just fine. We kept Dom Moore, who IMO pushed the Boyle-Dorsett line to the highest level. Nobody was talking about our fourth line before Dom Moore showed up. I think we'll be A-OK.

Now we just need some of our top line guys to show up. This team may not be AS good as last season, on paper, but it's not substantially worse. And you can't discount the fact that several of our players are only going to get better, because they're still young, and they now all have SCF experience under their belts.

Love, love, LOVE this signing.

I agree. This signing is a great one. If he can put up 30 points, it's a success

Cash or Czech?
07-19-2014, 03:33 PM
Can't really shit on Penguins not having good playoffs since nobody on the team really had a good playoff. The entire team stunk.

I like this signing a lot. He's versatile. He takes Pouliot's spot in the sense that he's the 35 point guy that can slot up and down the lineup. Gives us a lot of options for line combinations whether he takes Pouliot's line spot directly or allows another player to shift there. I don't know why the report said he's undersized at 6' and 200 lbs. The deal is cheap too. Nothing to really dislike since we're signing an actual NHL player.

Phil in Absentia
07-19-2014, 03:57 PM
Shut up, Brooks. $900K is a crazy steal. How is he making $550k less than Glass -_-

This guy has been on the market for nearly a month with essentially every team passing on him, as evidenced by the fact he wasn't signed July 1st and Glass was.

Can we please stop with this comparing everyone to Glass' contract stuff? It's already old. We get it -- Glass isn't a very good hockey player. Do we really need to be reminded about this every turn?

skunkman
07-19-2014, 05:26 PM
I hear that Glass is not a very good hockey player?

RangersFan
07-19-2014, 05:27 PM
I hear that Glass is not a very good hockey player?

Who cares? I think we had enough of talking about Glass for one summer. Lets just give him a chance.

Steven.
07-19-2014, 09:53 PM
This guy has been on the market for nearly a month with essentially every team passing on him, as evidenced by the fact he wasn't signed July 1st and Glass was.

Can we please stop with this comparing everyone to Glass' contract stuff? It's already old. We get it -- Glass isn't a very good hockey player. Do we really need to be reminded about this every turn?

I will never be able to fathom the fact that Glass is an NHLer, let alone that we signed him, and that he's making more money than actual contributing players.

And yes, i know it's been re-hashed. I'm still having trouble swallowing that pill, is all.

Steven.
07-19-2014, 09:56 PM
But, yeah, this is a very good signing. Stempniak is a great replacement for Pouliot, at a fraction of the cost and long term commitment. Also adds a righty shot to the forward group. We lose size and net front presence, but add more speed.

momentum
07-19-2014, 10:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyI5F7AwJR8&feature=player_embedded#t=80

ThirtyONE
07-19-2014, 10:59 PM
Were gunna be a fast team next season. Faster than this year for sure. This is not a "good" signing this is a steal.

Respecttheblue
07-20-2014, 09:29 AM
Were gunna be a fast team next season. Faster than this year for sure. This is not a "good" signing this is a steal.

Interesting, thank heavens for another right hander and a RH option on the PP.

More speed, yes, with him and Lombardi.

As Pete said in another thread, the word "replacement" has limited value. And that could be a truism here. If folk are thinking "Pouliot Replacement" I don't know. I see older, smaller and less physical presence. Benoit's use of his size — along with his other skills — helped the diminutive Zuccarello flourish. Now when we play the big boy teams at possibly important playoff junctures (Boston, LA, St. Louis, others), will we have a harder time with less size in the lineup? — but that's not Stempniak's fault, that's Sather's issue.

On the plus, in addition to PP / righty, he's a solid NHL player, might add to our speed overall, which could help us keep teams back on their heels, as opposed to us being back on our heels. As long as we're not being pushed all over the ice.

Now, another question, on a continuum of 1 - 10, and at lower priority ... what does the addition of another veteran mean for the hopes of guys like Fast, Miller, Lindberg, making it out of the NYR farm system and into the NHL this year?

When you're trying to run a power play with five left shots, which we were forced to do a lot this year, you're really swimming upstream. Seventy-seven per cent of the power-play goals are scored with at least two right shots, so that tells you a lot right there. Not to say there are exceptions to the rule, but when you have five left shots, or even four, your chances of scoring are diminished.
— Alain Vigneault

ThirtyONE
07-21-2014, 01:10 AM

As Pete said in another thread, the word "replacement" has limited value. And that could be a truism here. If folk are thinking "Pouliot Replacement" I don't know. I see older, smaller and less physical presence. Benoit's use of his size — along with his other skills — helped the diminutive Zuccarello flourish. Now when we play the big boy teams at possibly important playoff junctures (Boston, LA, St. Louis, others), will we have a harder time with less size in the lineup? — but that's not Stempniak's fault, that's Sather's issue.

On the plus, in addition to PP / righty, he's a solid NHL player, might add to our speed overall, which could help us keep teams back on their heels, as opposed to us being back on our heels. As long as we're not being pushed all over the ice.

Now, another question, on a continuum of 1 - 10, and at lower priority ... what does the addition of another veteran mean for the hopes of guys like Fast, Miller, Lindberg, making it out of the NYR farm system and into the NHL this year?

I might be wrong but I don't think Pouliot was known as a physical player when he came here. I don't know that it matters all that much anyway. We close to 0 people on the team that hit so might as well be able to outrun them.

Slobberknocker
07-21-2014, 09:26 AM
looked like pyatt assisted on one of those highlight's. Also that spotlight that goes off when the goal goes in has to be really annoying to the goalie. never noticed that before.

momentum
07-21-2014, 01:16 PM

It makes sure a spot isn't handed to them but they will have to earn it.
None of the veterans we have signed are players they have a huge investment in (such as Richards last year) and they wouldn't have a problem sitting one of these guys should a youngster prove to be better, but at least they will have to be BETTER, they don't get a spot just because we don't have anyone else.

kerrs7
07-28-2014, 05:39 PM
Good signing...always liked Stempniak

leetchy2
07-28-2014, 05:48 PM
Nice video, horrendous music. Can't believe anyone enjoys listening to that $hit.

momentum
07-28-2014, 08:04 PM
Really excited about this signing, sooo much upside imo. Really like Stempniak.