PDA

View Full Version : What Line Combos Do You Want to See Opening Night?

Phil in Absentia
07-17-2014, 01:30 PM
As of today, with Brassard, Kreider, Zuccarello and John Moore still in need of deals, let's presume all four are retained and the Rangers are done tinkering.

With all players under contract, what do you want to see on opening night?

--

MOD NOTE: Folks, this thread is about the combinations you'd like to see from the team as it currently sits. This isn't a wish-list of players you'd like to see added.

Thanks in advance.

DiJock94
07-17-2014, 01:38 PM
With the current roster

Kreider Stepan St. Louis
Nash Brassard Zuccarello
Hagelin Miller Fast
Glass Moore Mueller/Lombardi

McDonagh Girardi
Staal Boyle
Moore Klein

RangersFan
07-17-2014, 01:41 PM
Kreider-Stepan-St Louis...this line has size, speed, skill, and defense
Hagelin-Brassard-Nash...another line with size, speed, and skilll. Defense might be a bit iffy.
Miller-Moore-Zuccarello...decent size and some speed, put a vet with a rookie for defensive work
Glass-Lombardi-Mueller...your typical 4th line, hitting, some speed, and maybe a little two way play and scoring

Girardi-McDonagh...self explanatory
Boyle-Staal...i think this dline is gonna be great
Klein-Moore...solid defensive line

jjweimar
07-17-2014, 01:42 PM
1. Kreider-Stepan-Nash
2a Lombardi-Brassard-Zuccarello
2b Hagelin-Miller-St. Louis
4. Glass-Moore-Lindbert/Fast

McD-Girardi
Staal-Boyle
Klein-Allen

RichieNextel305
07-17-2014, 03:45 PM
Said it in the other thread: Sign Booth, go like this:

Booth-Stepan-St. Louis
Kreider-Brassard-Zuccarello
Hagelin-Miller-Nash
Glass-Moore-Lombardi

AmericanJesus
07-17-2014, 03:52 PM
Kreider - Stepan - St. Louis
MZA - Brassard - Nash
Hagelin - Miller - Fast
Glass - Moore - Lombardi

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Boyle
Moore - Klein

ThirtyONE
07-17-2014, 03:57 PM
1. Kreider-Stepan-Nash
2a Lombardi-Brassard-Zuccarello
2b Hagelin-Miller-St. Louis
4. Glass-Moore-Lindbert/Fast

McD-Girardi
Staal-Boyle
Klein-Allen

What happened to Moore?

DiJock94
07-17-2014, 07:15 PM
MZA - Brassard - Nash
Hagelin - Miller - Fast
Glass - Moore - Lombardi

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Boyle
Moore - Klein

These lines are better than mine

Puck Head
07-17-2014, 07:19 PM
MZA - Brassard - Nash
Hagelin - Miller - Fast
Glass - Moore - Lombardi

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Boyle
Moore - Klein

These look better then anything I could think of.

Pete
07-17-2014, 07:20 PM
What happened to Moore?

Allen was better. ;)

Puck Head
07-17-2014, 07:21 PM
Allen was better. ;)

Don't start with me........

:)

Cash or Czech?
07-17-2014, 08:10 PM
Prospect/FA-Stepan-St. Louis
Hagelin-Miller-Nash
Glass-Moore-Fast

Split offensive time between the top three lines evenly. Very balanced attack IMO. Kreider could very well improve on what Pouliot did. Stepan and St. Louis played well on the PP together in the postseason. Nash does it all himself anyway, so why not put a kid like Miller on his line not unlike Dubinsky with Jagr?

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Boyle
Moore-Klein

Lundqvist
Talbot

D and goaltending are pretty self explanatory.

Pete
07-17-2014, 08:19 PM
Prospect/FA-Stepan-St. Louis
Hagelin-Miller-Nash
Glass-Moore-Fast

Split offensive time between the top three lines evenly. Very balanced attack IMO. Kreider could very well improve on what Pouliot did. Stepan and St. Louis played well on the PP together in the postseason. Nash does it all himself anyway, so why not put a kid like Miller on his line not unlike Dubinsky with Jagr?

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Boyle
Moore-Klein

Lundqvist
Talbot

D and goaltending are pretty self explanatory.

Please read the OP before posting.

Respecttheblue
07-17-2014, 08:54 PM
With the current roster

Kreider Stepan MSL
MZA Brassard Nash
Hagelin Lombardi Miller
Glass Moore/Mueller Fast

McDonagh Staal
Girardi Boyle
Moore Klein

The Dude
07-17-2014, 09:48 PM
Why is there such little talk about Haggerty and Kristo msking this team? Sounds like Haggerty would be a decent option yo replace Pouliot. Just going off of what people have said about him.

RangersFan
07-17-2014, 10:17 PM
Why is there such little talk about Haggerty and Kristo msking this team? Sounds like Haggerty would be a decent option yo replace Pouliot. Just going off of what people have said about him.

Kristo needs to learn defense and i think Haggerty needs time in the AHL

Cash or Czech?
07-18-2014, 12:15 AM
Please read the OP before posting.

Fine, replace prospect/FA with Kristo until further notice.

RangersFan
07-18-2014, 12:34 AM
Fine, replace prospect/FA with Kristo until further notice.

You just cant put Kristo into the top 6. The guy needs to get his defensive game going and Kristo is a RW. Kristo-Stepan-St Louis is just too small and soft. Why are we throwing small rookies into the lineup?

Pete
07-18-2014, 06:23 AM
You just cant put Kristo into the top 6. The guy needs to get his defensive game going and Kristo is a RW. Kristo-Stepan-St Louis is just too small and soft. Why are we throwing small rookies into the lineup?

We aren't. Cash is just upset that he didn't read the OP and got called out, so he got lazy. ;)

momentum
07-18-2014, 06:35 AM
MZA - Brassard - Nash
Hagelin - Miller - Fast
Glass - Moore - Lombardi

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Boyle
Moore - Klein

THIS!

DiJock94
07-18-2014, 08:12 AM

I think Lindberg is first in line for a call up behind Fast and Miller. He has the two way game to get by in the NHL. Kristo doesn't, even though I'd be thrilled if we eventually reunited the World Juniors line of

Kreider Stepan Kristo

I think that would be badass

The Dude
07-18-2014, 09:52 AM
Zucc Brassard Nash
Stepan Miller MSL
Hagelin Lombardi Kreider
Glass Moore Fast/ rookie.

Pete
07-18-2014, 10:06 AM
Peoples...

MOD NOTE: Folks, this thread is about the combinations you'd like to see from the team as it currently sits. This isn't a wish-list of players you'd like to see added.

Thanks in advance.

Future
07-18-2014, 10:13 AM
Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Hags - Miller - MSL
MZA - Brassard - Fogarty
Glass - Moore - Lombardi

McD - Girardi
Staal - Boyle
Moore - Klein

josh
07-18-2014, 10:30 AM
Still not sure what I want to see, yet. Too early.

Hagelin - Stepan - Nash... Stepan and Nash together, previous chemistry
Lombardi - EMPTY - St. Louis... fastest LW crew in the league. Need RH C that shoots for St. Louis. Could move Lombardi to C and Haggerty/Mueller to LW.
Kreider - Brassard - Zuccarello ... Upgrade from Pouliot, more offensive chances for Kreider with better playmakers
Lindberg - Moore - Glass... Less grit but a bit more offense, does not suffer defensively.

momentum
07-18-2014, 11:51 AM
Hagelin - Stepan - Nash... Stepan and Nash together, previous chemistry
Lombardi - EMPTY - St. Louis... fastest LW crew in the league. Need RH C that shoots for St. Louis. Could move Lombardi to C and Haggerty/Mueller to LW.
Kreider - Brassard - Zuccarello ... Upgrade from Pouliot, more offensive chances for Kreider with better playmakers
Lindberg - Moore - Glass... Less grit but a bit more offense, does not suffer defensively.

How about putting Brassard in your EMPTY spot and inserting Miller on third centering Kreider and Zucc?

Might be worth a try. It's not like Miller is void of talent by any means and with that lineup you'd have at least 2 good offensive players on each of the top 3 lines, Stepan/Nash, Brassard/MSL, Kreider/Zucc
I really like the Lindberg/Moore/Glass fourth line, think it would be kickass.

nice and balanced imo.

Kevin
07-18-2014, 01:07 PM
I like the idea of Kreider with Brass and Zucc. I think he could definitely provide the same and more or what Pouls did with those two. I wouldn't mind seeing that for a bit to start the season.

josh
07-18-2014, 02:24 PM
How about putting Brassard in your EMPTY spot and inserting Miller on third centering Kreider and Zucc?

Might be worth a try. It's not like Miller is void of talent by any means and with that lineup you'd have at least 2 good offensive players on each of the top 3 lines, Stepan/Nash, Brassard/MSL, Kreider/Zucc
I really like the Lindberg/Moore/Glass fourth line, think it would be kickass.

nice and balanced imo.

Brassard doesn't fit the qualifications I am looking for for a St Louis C. I believe that person needs to be a shooter, a RH shot, nice mix of size and speed.

I could never stomach Kreider - Miller - Zuccarello. They'd have a fantastic 1st period, and then be a -5 the rest of the game. Too many inconsistent players... something that was all but eliminated when Brassard and Zucc were paired.

RangersFan
07-18-2014, 02:56 PM
I think Stepan and St Louis should be glued at the hip. Right handed center for St Louis, just put Hagelin on the LW to do the dirty work, or put Kreider there.

josh
07-18-2014, 04:00 PM
I think Stepan and St Louis should be glued at the hip. Right handed center for St Louis, just put Hagelin on the LW to do the dirty work, or put Kreider there.

I just see both of them as primarily set-up men. Stepan doesn't have the best awareness when it comes to being a shooter with a killer instinct. If we could get a guy that only sees the goal, and wants to shoot too often, then I think it will maximize St Louis offense. Stepan will get the same number of points playing with Nash as he would playing with either guy, but I think a shooting center would put up many more goals with St Louis than he would with Nash.

LW C Nash
LW Stepan (15/35) St Louis (20/35)

LW Stepan (20/40) Nash
LW C (30/30) St Louis (20/45)

TwoMinutesForNothing
07-18-2014, 04:01 PM
Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Hags - Miller - MSL
MZA - Brassard - Fogarty
Glass - Moore - Lombardi

McD - Girardi
Staal - Boyle
Moore - Klein

Fogarty? You can't possibly be talking about Steven Fogarty.

Pete
07-18-2014, 04:42 PM
Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Hags - Miller - MSL
MZA - Brassard - Fogarty
Glass - Moore - Lombardi

McD - Girardi
Staal - Boyle
Moore - Klein

Fogarty? You can't possibly be talking about Steven Fogarty.

Think he means Haggerty.

RangersFan
07-18-2014, 05:56 PM
I just see both of them as primarily set-up men. Stepan doesn't have the best awareness when it comes to being a shooter with a killer instinct. If we could get a guy that only sees the goal, and wants to shoot too often, then I think it will maximize St Louis offense. Stepan will get the same number of points playing with Nash as he would playing with either guy, but I think a shooting center would put up many more goals with St Louis than he would with Nash.

LW C Nash

LW Stepan (20/40) Nash
LW C (30/30) St Louis (20/45)

We dont have a shooting center, but we do have a right handed center and thats Stepan.

Pete
07-18-2014, 06:18 PM

LW C Nash

LW Stepan (20/40) Nash
LW C (30/30) St Louis (20/45)I was just thinking the other day about how Stepan has put up similar stats playing with Gaborik, Nash, Kreider, etc., which is why I don't see him just becoming a 70 point player. But that's for another thread.

fletch
07-18-2014, 08:15 PM
Hagelin Stepan St Louis
Kreider Brassard Zuccarello
Fast Miller Nash
Glass Moore Lombardi

McDonagh Girardi
Staal Boyle
Moore Klein

josh
07-18-2014, 08:19 PM
I was just thinking the other day about how Stepan has put up similar stats playing with Gaborik, Nash, Kreider, etc., which is why I don't see him just becoming a 70 point player. But that's for another thread.

Same thing with Nash and different centers. A main reason why I'd put them together. Plus the lockout season production one both parts was one of/the best season for each

RangersFan
07-18-2014, 09:15 PM
Hagelin Stepan St Louis
Kreider Brassard Zuccarello
Fast Miller Nash
Glass Moore Lombardi

McDonagh Girardi
Staal Boyle
Moore Klein

That 3rd line looks bad. 2 rookies

josh
07-18-2014, 09:17 PM
That 3rd line looks bad. 2 rookies

Nah. Nash only plays like a rookie in the playoffs. ;)

Respecttheblue
07-18-2014, 09:38 PM
It's all very intriguing. AV and Slats have some interesting possibilities, if some of these young folk are ready.

What's a wee bit painful —*and which explains why Mueller and Lombardi are here —*is that rookies of the not-so-blue-chip variety usually have a tough time producing in their first years.

Arguably Miller has gone through enough growing pains and should produce ( if he's capable ), but we've all seen how long it took the Korpikoskis and the Brian Boyles, it takes a lot of patience. Which, again, explains why Mueller and Lombardi are here. See if they work out. If they don't, there's always plan B or plan C.

Where Kristo, Haggerty, Fast and Lindberg are on the continuum, I don't know. Y'all remember when Pyatt didn't git 'er done, plan B or C or whatever it was turned out to be an upgrade/jump start.

I'm excited at the possibilities. Not expecting us to repeat last year, but also thinking there's potential for volatility on both the upside as well as the downside.
Hopefully AV can keep them believing through the rough and the smooth again.

RangersFan
07-18-2014, 10:29 PM
Nah. Nash only plays like a rookie in the playoffs. ;)

Eh, not really. Putting Nash with 2 rookies is a recipe for disaster

TwoMinutesForNothing
07-18-2014, 11:12 PM
Ok, so Stempniak now in...

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Stempniak-Brassard-Zuc
Hagelin-Lombardi-MSL
Lindberg-Moore-Glass

Steven.
07-19-2014, 02:38 AM
Kreider-Stepan-St. louis
Hagelin-Miller-Nash
Stempniak-Brassard-Zuccarello
Lombardi-Moore-Fast
Glass

Unfortunately, Glass will likely be in for Fast. Lindberg and Haggerty could force their way onto the team as well, perhaps, in addition to Miller and maybe Fast.

RangersFan
07-19-2014, 02:51 AM
Kreider-Stepan-St Louis
Hagelin-Brassard-Nash
Stempniak-Miller-Zuccarello
Glass-Moore-Lombardi

Cash or Czech?
07-19-2014, 03:28 AM
We aren't. Cash is just upset that he didn't read the OP and got called out, so he got lazy. ;)

Stempniak. Boom.

momentum
07-19-2014, 10:03 AM
MSL-Stepan-Nash
Hagelin-Miller-Stempniak
Glass-Moore-Lombardi

This is prob the first thing I'd try.

Phil in Absentia
07-19-2014, 10:33 AM
MSL-Stepan-Nash Kreider-Brassard-Zuccarello Hagelin-Miller-Stempniak Glass-Moore-Lombardi This is prob the first thing I'd try.

MSL and Nash have to switch sides. Nash is the one who plays both wings, not MSL.

Balanced lineup otherwise.

momentum
07-19-2014, 12:48 PM
MSL and Nash have to switch sides. Nash is the one who plays both wings, not MSL.

Balanced lineup otherwise.
I did that because we tried Nash on the left last year and he was only so so, I thought maybe MSL could work there and Nash back on RW but if MSL is a strict RW then ofc switch it up to Nash on LW.

MacTruck
07-19-2014, 01:50 PM
Hagelin - Stepan - St. Louis
Kreider - Brassard - Pouliot
Stempniak - Lindberg - Nash
Lombardi - Moore - Fast

Puck Head
07-19-2014, 02:02 PM
Kredier- Stepan- MSL (this line looked real good the few times they were together)
Stempiak- Miller- Nash (kind of a pipe dream, but maybe two vets settle miller down)
Hagelin- Brassard- Zucc
Glass- Moore- Lombardi

RichieNextel305
07-19-2014, 02:26 PM
Stempniak-Stepan-St. Louis
Hagelin-Miller-Nash
Glass-Moore-Lombardi

RangersFan
07-19-2014, 02:30 PM
Stempniak-Stepan-St. Louis
Hagelin-Miller-Nash
Glass-Moore-Lombardi
We need to split the right handed players up

AmericanJesus
07-19-2014, 08:46 PM
Hagelin - Stepan - Nash
Kreider - Brassard - MZA
Stempniak - Miller/Lindberg - MSL
Glass - Moore - Lombardi

NYRanger11
07-19-2014, 09:15 PM
Kreider - Brassard - Pouliot
Lombardi - Moore - Fast
No Zucc?

josh
07-19-2014, 09:18 PM
With the Stumpy signing, it gives a lot more possibilities, and more importantly, more competition for ice time - which I love!

DiJock94
07-19-2014, 10:54 PM
Kreider Stepan St. Louis
Nash Brassard Zuccarello
Hagelin Miller Stempniak
Glass Moore Fast

Lombardi

McDonagh Girardi
Staal Boyle
Moore Klein

Hunwick Kostka

pws85nyr
07-20-2014, 12:12 PM
Kreider Stepan St. Louis
Nash Brassard Zuccarello
Hagelin Miller Stempniak
Glass Moore Fast

Lombardi

McDonagh Girardi
Staal Boyle
Moore Klein

Hunwick Kostka

This, but Lombardi for Miller in my opinion (and Zuccs LW Nash RW). I think Lombardi beats Miller/Lindberg for the 3rd line C and they become the 13th forward.

Pete
07-20-2014, 12:53 PM
This, but Lombardi for Miller in my opinion (and Zuccs LW Nash RW). I think Lombardi beats Miller/Lindberg for the 3rd line C and they become the 13th forward.

Keeping either of those guys as a 13th is a waste.

MacTruck
07-20-2014, 11:48 PM
Blacked out. Zucc for Pouliot

Kreider - Brassard - Zuccarello
Lombardi - Moore - Fast

pws85nyr
07-21-2014, 04:50 AM
Keeping either of those guys as a 13th is a waste.

Fair point. Thinking more Miller for this role than Lindberg.

Just not sure I see Miller taking advantage of his opportunity. Would love to see him make 3rd line C and put up 25-30 points.

Pete
07-21-2014, 07:24 AM

Just not sure I see Miller taking advantage of his opportunity. Would love to see him make 3rd line C and put up 25-30 points.

Same. Hopefully he used last year as a learning experience.

AmericanJesus
07-21-2014, 09:08 AM

If that's your expectation, I think he should be able to do that if they just go with him and let him work through any troubled spots. He had 3g, 3a in 30 games last season, which works out to 16p over 82. Significantly below your 25-30, but even that 30 game stretch was punctuated by long breaks in between as he was mostly an injury fill in on the wing. The issue is going to be what it seemed to be last season, AV wasn't happy with something off the ice. Whether that's conditioning, distractions, or ability to correct mistakes, he needs to figure it out if he wants to be a regular NHLer with our team. If he doesn't "get it", what ever "it" is, I suspect we see him moved out and someone like Lindberg given a shot or Lombardi slotted up.

Future
07-21-2014, 09:21 AM

I think he could easily do that, and probably would have last year if given a full-time role.

Bouncing back and forth like that has to be tough, especially when his role was changing every time. If he gets a regular spot in the lineup (I'd like to see him with Hags and MSL on the 2/3 line), I think 25-30 would be the low end of his production. He could easily be a 40 point player right now with talent around him, imo.

pws85nyr
07-21-2014, 10:20 AM
I think he could easily do that, and probably would have last year if given a full-time role.

Bouncing back and forth like that has to be tough, especially when his role was changing every time. If he gets a regular spot in the lineup (I'd like to see him with Hags and MSL on the 2/3 line), I think 25-30 would be the low end of his production. He could easily be a 40 point player right now with talent around him, imo.

I just think he has good size and plays a physically game. That's what I want to see more of from a 3rd/4th line player. They are role players so I don't expect big numbers (although they would be a welcome surprise), that's Stepan and Brassard's job. I think 25-30 would be progress and is realistic. Granted these numbers will be helped with increased veteran depth at the wing position this year. He is not improving playing 4th line minutes, but not offering enough offensively or defensively to warrant consistent 3rd line minutes. Part of me wants him paired with Nash or St. Louis, but then I don't want those guys playing 3rd line minutes. It's a tough balance, but the kid has a great opportunity this year in camp to win a starting place on the roster,

I am hoping he can take a leaf out of Kreider's book and really improve defensively this year. I thought Kreider, bar a few lapses from time to time, hugely improved in his own zone and is no longer considered a defensive liability. But, bringing it back to how this conversation started, his defence won't improve being the 13th forward or bouncing between the NHL and AHL.

bar2112
07-22-2014, 09:12 PM
Openining night line-up

1. Kreider - Stepan - Nash (no way Nash makes 7+ million a yr and doesn't play on the 1st line
2(a). Zuccarello - Brassard - Stepniack (Flip/Flop these next 2 lines as to who's line is going....Stepniack is pouliot's replacement)
2(b) Haglin - Lombardi - St. Louis (same as above...Lombardi was brought in to be our 3rd line center)
4. Glass - Moore - Miller/Fast/Hagerty (2 centers like boyle and moore last year for defensive draws/PK with Miller)

Mac/Giradi
Boyle/Stall
Klein/Moore

skunkman
07-22-2014, 11:08 PM
So Glass will be the only guy on our team with some Balls?

So we will be know next year as having Glass Balls?:slats:

Phil in Absentia
07-22-2014, 11:10 PM
Zucc probably has the biggest balls on the whole team.

5'7, 179 lbs and 80lbs of that is swinging between his legs.

skunkman
07-22-2014, 11:14 PM
Zucc probably has the biggest balls on the whole team.

5'7, 179 lbs and 80lbs of that is swinging between his legs.

POY right here!

DiJock94
07-23-2014, 11:03 AM

i think thats a very realistic expectation.

RangersFan
07-23-2014, 05:53 PM
New line ideas

Kreider-Stepan-St Louis
Stempniak-Brassard-Zuccarello
Hagelin-Miller-Nash
Glass-Moore-Lombardi

Give Nash lots of offensive zone starts and lots of PP time

lefty9
07-23-2014, 08:04 PM
I just think he has good size and plays a physically game. That's what I want to see more of from a 3rd/4th line player. They are role players so I don't expect big numbers (although they would be a welcome surprise), that's Stepan and Brassard's job. I think 25-30 would be progress and is realistic. Granted these numbers will be helped with increased veteran depth at the wing position this year. He is not improving playing 4th line minutes, but not offering enough offensively or defensively to warrant consistent 3rd line minutes. Part of me wants him paired with Nash or St. Louis, but then I don't want those guys playing 3rd line minutes. It's a tough balance, but the kid has a great opportunity this year in camp to win a starting place on the roster,

I am hoping he can take a leaf out of Kreider's book and really improve defensively this year. I thought Kreider, bar a few lapses from time to time, hugely improved in his own zone and is no longer considered a defensive liability. But, bringing it back to how this conversation started, his defence won't improve being the 13th forward or bouncing between the NHL and AHL.maybe because of being young and inexperience ,but i didnt see miller play physical last season,i thought he rather played soft for his size

Puck Head
07-23-2014, 08:54 PM
maybe because of being young and inexperience ,but i didnt see miller play physical last season,i thought he rather played soft for his size

He definitely plays with a edge, always has.
Although at the NHL level, I do believe he attempts to get to those places the best he can.

Problem is, he's just not effective yet in that role.
I assume that comes with increased hockey IQ and experience.

lefty9
07-24-2014, 08:30 AM
He definitely plays with a edge, always has.
Although at the NHL level, I do believe he attempts to get to those places the best he can.

Problem is, he's just not effective yet in that role.
I assume that comes with increased hockey IQ and experience.
I wasnt referring to the ahl or juniors.
Hopefully with a little more experience and confidence he could play his game

josh
07-24-2014, 05:45 PM
I don't see much of an edge to his game... he's a hockey player and doesn't like to be pushed around, but edge... enh. (at this point) I don't know if he really needs it.

He needs to focus on keeping his legs moving.

Puck Head
07-24-2014, 06:04 PM
I don't see much of an edge to his game... he's a hockey player and doesn't like to be pushed around, but edge... enh. (at this point) I don't know if he really needs it.

He needs to focus on keeping his legs moving.

You haven't seen it yet, but he's naturally a prick on the ice like Dubinsky.
Just hasn't carried over to the NHL yet.

AmericanJesus
07-28-2014, 04:20 PM
Of course, camp will be the real judge, but:

:tweet: Sean Hartnett ‏@HartnettHockey Getting almost unanimous feedback from Rangers on the potential third line of Hagelin-Lombardi-Stempniak. Fans aren't confident in Lombardi.

That would presumably mean one of MZA or Nash on the left side. Perhaps:

Nash - Stepan - MSL
Kreider - Brassard - MZA
Hagelin - Lombardi - Stempniak
Glass - Moore - Fast/Miller/Lindberg

Slobberknocker
07-28-2014, 04:31 PM
I don't think its realistic to read some of these combos and see Nash on the third line. I was disappointed in his playoff run as well but this is just not going to happen, IMHO.

i really like the post above. i think Kreider on the brass line could be awesome as Kreid's goes to the net. that third line intrigues me as well.

Pete
07-28-2014, 04:32 PM
That third line has ridiculous speed.

I think it's close to what we'll see in pre-season, but there's always tinkering.

Disappointed that Miller is already written off, for the most part. Hope they can move him for something before they kill his value even more.

AmericanJesus
07-28-2014, 04:58 PM
That third line has ridiculous speed.

I think it's close to what we'll see in pre-season, but there's always tinkering.

Disappointed that Miller is already written off, for the most part. Hope they can move him for something before they kill his value even more.

Yeah, I mean, it could be leaking stuff like this to light a fire under the kid. As it stands with our forward depth in the 2-4 lines, Miller basically has to be outstanding and unseat a veteran, or else he'll likely start in Hartford and have to wait for an injury to get another shot. The one thing that we have to keep in mind with these young guys though is that guys like Stepan and McDonagh are very much the exceptions, not the rules. Miller is still just a few months over 21 years of age.

That we've been in contention in the last 3 seasons have probably slowed the development of guys like Kreider and Miller, who hadn't earned enough trust so that they had to be handled. If they came up on the 10-11 team like those two, they would have been higher on the depth charts and probably had more room for error as well. If Miller has a camp like Kreider did last year, hopefully he can mimic the same path.

Mike
07-28-2014, 05:08 PM
Yeah, I mean, it could be leaking stuff like this to light a fire under the kid. As it stands with our forward depth in the 2-4 lines, Miller basically has to be outstanding and unseat a veteran, or else he'll likely start in Hartford and have to wait for an injury to get another shot. The one thing that we have to keep in mind with these young guys though is that guys like Stepan and McDonagh are very much the exceptions, not the rules. Miller is still just a few months over 21 years of age.

That we've been in contention in the last 3 seasons have probably slowed the development of guys like Kreider and Miller, who hadn't earned enough trust so that they had to be handled. If they came up on the 10-11 team like those two, they would have been higher on the depth charts and probably had more room for error as well. If Miller has a camp like Kreider did last year, hopefully he can mimic the same path.
From the beginning of time, the Rangers enter every season as a contender whether it's popular opinion or not. They go in believing they have a chance every season, so until it gets late enough to realize that they don't have a shot in any particular year, guys like Miller and Kreider will always have to gain a trust over an extended period of time. Now since the 05 lockout, the Rangers have only missed the playoffs once, and that was on the last day of the season so there were still beliefs, and expectations. The optimist looks at these slow developing projects as a good thing, as we've been right in the thick of things over the past 3 years. As much as we want to believe we're not as talented as other EC teams, we're the only EC team to win a playoff series 3 years in a row, and I believe have the most series wins than any other EC team in that same span. In that time, Kreider has had his ups and downs, yet seems to be coming along. Hopefully other players that were in his shoes can follow suit.

momentum
08-01-2014, 06:37 AM
Of course, camp will be the real judge, but:

:tweet: Sean Hartnett ‏@HartnettHockey Getting almost unanimous feedback from Rangers on the potential third line of Hagelin-Lombardi-Stempniak. Fans aren't confident in Lombardi.

That would presumably mean one of MZA or Nash on the left side. Perhaps:

Nash - Stepan - MSL
Kreider - Brassard - MZA
Hagelin - Lombardi - Stempniak
Glass - Moore - Fast/Miller/Lindberg

This is almost the exact lineup I posted except I had Miller instead of Lombardi centering the third, really hope Miller isn't already written off.

There is some great potential here:

Top line you surround Stepan with the maximum amount of talent in his wingers to offset any weakness in Stepan's game.
Kreider takes Poliout spot, should be fine.
Third line has sick speed
Fourth line looks great to me with Glass and Moore and either Fast or Lindberg whoever works best there.

I suppose the big battles who makes the team should be between Miller/Lombardi and Fast/Lindberg. I had Lombardi on the fourth to provide speed but maybe he isn't suited for fourth, but if he's on the third it leaves Miller on the outside or on fourth line duty with limited minutes.

Again this is what I would go with

Nash - Stepan - MSL
Kreider - Brassard - MZA
Hagelin - Miller - Stempniak
Glass - Moore - Lombardi

DiJock94
08-01-2014, 08:40 AM
This is almost the exact lineup I posted except I had Miller instead of Lombardi centering the third, really hope Miller isn't already written off.

There is some great potential here:

Top line you surround Stepan with the maximum amount of talent in his wingers to offset any weakness in Stepan's game.
Kreider takes Poliout spot, should be fine.
Third line has sick speed
Fourth line looks great to me with Glass and Moore and either Fast or Lindberg whoever works best there.

I suppose the big battles who makes the team should be between Miller/Lombardi and Fast/Lindberg. I had Lombardi on the fourth to provide speed but maybe he isn't suited for fourth, but if he's on the third it leaves Miller on the outside or on fourth line duty with limited minutes.

Again this is what I would go with

Nash - Stepan - MSL
Kreider - Brassard - MZA
Hagelin - Miller - Stempniak
Glass - Moore - Lombardi

I'd move Lombardi to LW and Fast at RW. Fast is definitely a better player than Glass

Pete
08-01-2014, 09:00 AM
This "better" talk in certain context really has to be curbed.

As a 4th line option, there's an element of grit and toughness that Glass has and Fast doesn't. So is really an artificial comment to say "Fast is better". Glass was signed for a reason, to do a job Fast isn't going to do.

DiJock94
08-01-2014, 09:16 AM
Fast is physical and has decent size and is responsible defensively. Dom Moore isn't tough does that means he isn't a fourth liner?

Kevin
08-01-2014, 09:17 AM
I'd move Lombardi to LW and Fast at RW. Fast is definitely a better player than Glass

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see so much out of Fast last year that I would give him a spot over a guy that's played almost 400 NHL games. Glass is tough, can skate well, and kills penalties...everything that I think you would want as a 4th line winger.

DiJock94
08-01-2014, 09:26 AM
I'm not sold on Lombardi either. As far as I'm concerned e has to earn his spot too. He has a two way deal he can be sent to the minors if he isn't capable.

Pete
08-01-2014, 09:28 AM
Fast is physical and has decent size and is responsible defensively. Dom Moore isn't tough does that means he isn't a fourth liner?

Fast isn't big, nor is he physical.

I don't understand the Moore comment.

Glass is there the add grit and toughness, Something this team needs with the departure of Dorsett and Carcillo.

Phil in Absentia
08-01-2014, 09:36 AM
I'm not sold on Lombardi either. As far as I'm concerned e has to earn his spot too. He has a two way deal he can be sent to the minors if he isn't capable.

Two-way contracts have no bearing on whether or not a player can or cannot be sent to the minors. All it means is that his salary is different in the minors than it is at the NHL level. He's likely paid substantially less if he's not on an NHL roster.

DiJock94
08-01-2014, 10:27 AM
A two way contract means he can be sent to the minors and avoid waivers.

Pete
08-01-2014, 10:29 AM
A two way contract means he can be sent to the minors and avoid waivers.

That is incorrect.

A two-way contract is a professional sports contract which stipulates that an athlete’s salary is dependent upon the league in which the athlete is assigned to play. This is opposed to a one-way contract that would pay the same salary regardless of where the athlete is assigned to play.

Two-way contracts are common for professional ice hockey players who aspire to play in the National Hockey League (NHL). Any hockey player entering the NHL for the first time will sign an entry level, two-way contract with an NHL team stipulating that he will receive a higher salary if assigned to play with the NHL team, but will receive a lower salary if assigned to play for a team in the minor leagues such as the American Hockey League or the ECHL.[

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-way_contract

---

It has zero to do with waiver eligibility.

Phil in Absentia
08-01-2014, 10:32 AM
Yeah, two-way/one-way is a myth that's existed for years. I have no idea where it started or why, but waivers are not determined by contract type. They are determined by games played.

DiJock94
08-01-2014, 10:42 AM
Oh wow thanks for the knowledge. What determines whether a player is waivers eligible or not then because I was always under the impression that was it

Pete
08-01-2014, 10:44 AM
Oh wow thanks for the knowledge. What determines whether a player is waivers eligible or not then because I was always under the impression that was it

I know it's based on games played, but American Jesus probably can give you a better idea of the details.

Phil in Absentia
08-01-2014, 10:46 AM

Games played, age and when the contract is signed.

This is a pretty good explanation here: http://www.mcsorleys-stick.com/nhl-waiver-rules-explained/

Slobberknocker
08-01-2014, 10:51 AM
im not saying he's lucic but fast did throw the body pretty good last year. was one of the better aspects of his game if you ask me.

august is the fun time to spec on the lines but from my perspective there are jobs to be won in training camp here. one spot on the third and that 4th line outside of moore is ripe for the taking for someone willing to compete hard.

DiJock94
08-01-2014, 10:52 AM
Well that changes my view of which route this team should go then. If that's the case then you'd have to assume Lombardi gets that 3rd line spot over Miller because Miller is more versatile incase of injury

Then again they could also field Lombardi as their 13th forward because of how cheap he is. That waivers thing makes things slightly more complicated.

Phil in Absentia
08-01-2014, 10:54 AM
im not saying he's lucic but fast did throw the body pretty good last year. was one of the better aspects of his game if you ask me.

august is the fun time to spec on the lines but from my perspective there are jobs to be won in training camp here. one spot on the third and that 4th line outside of moore is ripe for the taking for someone willing to compete hard.

There are definitely a few open spots to be claimed. Even with veteran signings like Lombardi and Stempniak, there's a whole group of prospects who are going to be fighting to win a spot out of camp this year with openings on both bottom lines, and it bodes well for them that AV seems to want a few more younger bodies anyway.

With each off-season, come some roster changes and Vigneault expressed a desire for the team to infuse some young players into the lineup next season.

“You have to. Just look at L.A. Probably one of if not their most effective line was the one with the two kids (Tyler Toffoli and Tanner Pearson) and (Jeff) Carter. You’ve got bring some youth. Veterans help them out. They bring you enthusiasm. You have to do that every year and, hopefully, we’re going to have a couple guys pushing at the door, knocking to get into our dressing room.”

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/comments/vigneault_no_decision_made_on_richards_future_yet_ boyle_looking_for_bigger_role_as_a_ufa/

DiJock94
08-01-2014, 10:59 AM
I do still feel like Fast is built for the bottom 6. Really benefits him that he is a righty too because we have been desperate for right handed shots and traded one of the two of them (Dorsett)

momentum
08-01-2014, 02:19 PM

I disagree about Glass, he brings a certain element that is needed on the team and that Fast doesn't bring. I would be shocked if Fast got a spot over Glass tbh, they signed Glass to fill a need and I def think he's a default 4th line winger on this team. I haven't seen anything from Fast to warrant a spot over Glass that's or sure, and he's neither big or tough for that matter.

I hope I'm wrong but all I've seen from Fast so far is a decent skating meh vanilla 2-way player who won't hurt your team but not help it much either, simply a warm body to fill out a spot, from what he has shown so far he has no special ability or edge of any kind to make a difference with. He's not superfast, not a great stick handler, not a great passer, doesn't have a great shot, not a face off specialist, isn't big or tough, not a pk specialist...but neither does he SUCK...he just doesn't stand out in any way IMO.
Again I hope im wrong about this and that he proves me wrong.