PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed: Rangers Sign [F] Kevin Hayes to 2-Year/$7.5M Contract; $3.75M AAV (Bonus-Laden)

Pages : [1] 2

RichieNextel305
07-17-2014, 08:22 AM
:tweet: @NYRangers: OFFICIAL: #NYR have agreed to terms with free agent forward @KevinPHayes12.
Full Release: http://t.co/vsF5URl3bl http://t.co/EEx8KDzTo5

New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that the team has agreed to terms with free agent forward Kevin Hayes.

Hayes, 22, skated in 40 games with the Boston College Eagles of Hockey East (NCAA) this past season, registering 27 goals and 38 assists for 65 points, along with 16 penalty minutes and a plus-34 rating. Hayes was a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award as the top player in collegiate hockey, and he was named to the NCAA East First All-American Team and Hockey East’s First All-Star Team. He established collegiate career-highs in goals, assists, points, plus/minus rating, power play goals (six), and game-winning goals (six). Hayes ranked second in the nation in points, third in plus/minus rating, fourth in assists, and fifth in goals. He finished second on Boston College in goals, points, game-winning goals, and shots on goal (140), tied for second in power play goals, and ranked third in assists and plus/minus rating.

The 6-5, 225-pounder tallied a career-high, 12-game point streak from November 29 vs. Holy Cross to January 25 at Penn State (13 goals, 14 assists over the span). He registered his first career hat trick and recorded a single-game career-high with five points on January 18 vs. Maine. Hayes finished the season with five consecutive multi-point games, including a four-point effort (two goals, two assists) in the Northeast Regional Semifinal vs. Denver on March 29.

http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/6524/rangers-agree-to-terms-with-forward-kevin-hayes?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=tweets&utm_content=twitter_1408551526#.U_TOOkg6Edk

Shanahammer
07-17-2014, 08:36 AM
I'd be all for it. Question is does he have us on his radar.

TwoMinutesForNothing
07-17-2014, 08:46 AM
He's a good player, but was a major product of Gaudreau. Played for US at WC this season and put up 2 points in 8 games. He could develop into a solid player though.

I doubt we are the favorites. If he isn't signing with the Hawks it could have something to do with them trading his brother this season. He's now a Panther so they might be the favorites for him. Both of his linemates this past season, Gaudreau and Bill Arnold are now with the Flames, so they might stand a chance as well. They would be able to just put the best line in NCAA hockey right back together again without even spending a single season apart.

Pete
07-17-2014, 08:51 AM
He's no Blake Wheeler.

Slobberknocker
07-17-2014, 09:25 AM
He is regarded as an offensive talent perhaps a bit lacking in the ability to grind.

At 6'3 205, this immediately made me think of Boyle. :D i will hang my hopes on the word "perhaps" in that sentence in the event we can snag him.

Shanahammer
07-17-2014, 09:49 AM
He's a good player, but was a major product of Gaudreau. Played for US at WC this season and put up 2 points in 8 games. He could develop into a solid player though.

I doubt we are the favorites. If he isn't signing with the Hawks it could have something to do with them trading his brother this season. He's now a Panther so they might be the favorites for him. Both of his linemates this past season, Gaudreau and Bill Arnold are now with the Flames, so they might stand a chance as well. They would be able to just put the best line in NCAA hockey right back together again without even spending a single season apart.

Yea, I don't know who is linemates were last year but his stats took an abnormally huge jump this year. Still worth signing him though.

leetchy2
07-17-2014, 05:28 PM
He is regarded as an offensive talent perhaps a bit lacking in the ability to grind.

At 6'3 205, this immediately made me think of Boyle. :D i will hang my hopes on the word "perhaps" in that sentence in the event we can snag him.

Or Nedved ;)

Respecttheblue
07-17-2014, 08:57 PM
well publicizing he's on NYR radar should help Chicago get their quidz together and sign him...if they have the spare dough.

Ranger Lothbrok
07-17-2014, 09:14 PM
Yeah, we've had quite a few guys on our radar from the NCAA that have gone elsewhere. Sjustr, DeKeyser (who we were heavily in on I believe), etc.. Ultimately we lured Haggerty, according to reports, with promises of big league playing time. I don't think we're a particularly attractive destination for guys looking to crack an NHL squad sooner than later. Methinks several others will have a leg up on us with this one.

Pete
07-17-2014, 09:32 PM
Yeah, we've had quite a few guys on our radar from the NCAA that have gone elsewhere. Sjustr, DeKeyser (who we were heavily in on I believe), etc.. Ultimately we lured Haggerty, according to reports, with promises of big league playing time. I don't think we're a particularly attractive destination for guys looking to crack an NHL squad sooner than later. Methinks several others will have a leg up on us with this one.

No, we got him because we let him burn a year of his ELC watching from the press box with collecting an NHL salary.

Ranger Lothbrok
07-18-2014, 05:04 PM
No, we got him because we let him burn a year of his ELC watching from the press box with collecting an NHL salary.

Alright, this is what I was thinking of. Not "playing time" in the NHL, but still an incentive we offered that other teams didn't:

Assistant GM Jeff Gorton told the Daily News on a phone call late Wednesday afternoon that Haggerty had several suitors but wanted to jump straight to the big time. The Rangers are not guaranteeing he'll play soon, but they were one of the teams willing to put him in the NHL immediately. It probably didn't hurt that the Stamford, Conn., product grew up a Rangers fan, either.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/rangers/rangers-sign-haggerty-straight-college-article-1.1719649

Anyway, the point remains the same: we offered him something no other team did to get him here, despite him being a Rangers fan. Whether or not he still would've signed had we not done that I have no idea. But with our current cap situation, roster construction and trend with futures assets, I can't imagine that we have a leg up on any other team with regard to signing these kinds of guys.

Pete
07-18-2014, 05:06 PM
Alright, this is what I was thinking of. Not "playing time" in the NHL, but still an incentive we offered that other teams didn't:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/rangers/rangers-sign-haggerty-straight-college-article-1.1719649

Anyway, the point remains the same: we offered him something no other team did to get him here, despite him being a Rangers fan. Whether or not he still would've signed had we not done that I have no idea. But with our current cap situation, roster construction and trend with futures assets, I can't imagine that we have a leg up on any other team with regard to signing these kinds of guys.

The undrafted grads don't sell me, being burned by Gilroy.

But this guy seems more like a Blake Wheeler, who we wanted, but he didn't want us.

Gotta think these guys want to take 3 year deals on bad teams to get ice time, prove their value, and springboard that into big contracts, if they can even do that.

josh
07-18-2014, 05:12 PM
Grachev2.0

James Lionel Price
07-21-2014, 03:37 AM
This is a huge opportunity to get in on a kid here. He is not signing in Chicago for a reason probably. They've had years to sign him, no avail. He's big, in size. We need that. 6'4 and maybe with his comfortability/friendship with Kreider, we have a shot at this guy. He can pick his team. That usually bodes well for them. High end prospect. Bright Lights, big city....would love to see this happen. To go against a great team like the Kings, they are gonna need big bodies going to the net. It really would be a major coup indeed to come out with this kid. That's probably why Slats had Larry write the article.

Future
07-21-2014, 09:57 AM
Yea, I don't know who is linemates were last year but his stats took an abnormally huge jump this year. Still worth signing him though.
His only big year was as a senior with Gaudreau as his center.

On one hand, it's easy to look at him and say "oh he needs good players around him to score." But on the flip side, he'll be playing with better players at the professional level.

I don't really like him all that much to be honest, but if you can get him on the cheap, I'd take a shot.

CreaseCrusader91
08-14-2014, 09:34 PM
:tweet:@MarkDivver:
I'm hearing that Avalanche, Rangers, Bruins and Coyotes are in the mix for impending free agent Kevin Hayes of BC.

Bruins currently in cap situation so I'd say they are out. Coyotes.... ha. Avalanche are interesting and that leaves us.

Phil in Absentia
08-14-2014, 10:47 PM
Eh, I doubt it. I just don't see how they make it work, money-wise. Around $1.3M available right now, and Moore is gonna end up signed for around $1M of that.

Drew a Penalty
08-14-2014, 11:06 PM
Eh, I doubt it. I just don't see how they make it work, money-wise. Around $1.3M available right now, and Moore is gonna end up signed for around $1M of that.
I agree. Would be nice, but the Avs just have more to offer. More salary space and more of a chance for a spot on the roster.

The Rangers could make some space, but I just think the Avs would be better fit.

CreaseCrusader91
08-15-2014, 12:17 AM

Fast, Mueller, Lombardi= $2.2M. They arent all making the roster. Some room opens up there.

They have the chance to make moves. Also, Kostka and Hunwick also there so subtract 600K.

The fact that Moore has no deal yet makes me think they are waiting to see what happens with Hayes.

TwoMinutesForNothing
08-15-2014, 12:32 AM
I like our chances. Hayes himself doesn't necessarily have to make our big club so his hit may not count. He'll battle Fast and Miller for a spot.

James Lionel Price
08-15-2014, 12:56 AM
We can sign him, no problem. A lot of these scrubs we signed are under the threshold and will not count on the cap unless they make the team, like Hunwick, Mueller, Lombardi & even Stempniak, though he is def an NHL player.

So if they sign Moore for 2.3M/2 yrs, while that would appear to crush the remaining cap space, they would just need to cut 2 of these scrubs to make space. More likely, Hayes signs this weekend, and if he's a Ranger, then they would probably go into camp without signing Moore, then cut 2 scrubs, to make the room back and then give Moore his deal.

Hayes will make $895K in base salary. That is not outlandish by any stretch. And if he doesn't make the team, which could definitely be the case for this year, then it would also alleviate their cap situation with regard to signing both he and Moore.

Pete
08-15-2014, 09:04 AM
Seriously doubt they have Moore miss any part of camp waiting for a contract.

AmericanJesus
08-15-2014, 09:49 AM
The Rangers have $1.3M with 22 players signed and not including Moore. I can't see us carrying more than 21 players. Assume Moore gets $1.5M (that's high, but works for our purposes), then the lowest cap space we'd have with a 21 man roster, removing the lowest remaining salaries would be $938K. Now, the next lowest salary would be Fast. So if we take him out for Hayes (assuming Hayes makes the club), we'd have $1.743M available for his salary with our most expensive 21 man roster.

Now lets look at a max ELC. Nathan MacKinnon has a 3 year, $3.775M contract. But only $925K of that is NHL salary. The rest is split between a small signing bonus and performance bonuses. As we all know, bonuses can be rolled over if necessary. So worst case scenario is that we use all our most expensive contracts throughout the season, carry 2 spares and have to roll over about $2M in bonuses. Of course, that would mean Hayes made the team and hit all his bonuses, something we'd be very happy about, I would imagine.

CreaseCrusader91
08-15-2014, 10:37 AM
Can't link now but Lambert's latest column on PD had it as CGY, NYR and BOS as top 3.

Drew a Penalty
08-15-2014, 11:08 AM
Calgary would make sense if he wants to rejoin Gaudreau and Arnold. I could see the Flames being a good suitor.

Phil in Absentia
08-15-2014, 11:55 AM
Calgary would make sense if he wants a guaranteed NHL spot too.

Drew a Penalty
08-15-2014, 12:07 PM
Calgary would make sense if he wants a guaranteed NHL spot too.

True, but he could get one with the Avs as well. Not as easily, but he could.

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Tanguay
O'Reilly - Duchene - Iginla
McGinn - Briere - Hayes
Mitchell - Talbot - Winchester

DiJock94
08-15-2014, 01:10 PM
Id have to assume that with him growing up in the burbs of boston and going to BC that the Bruins are his first choice, then there would be Calgary he would pretty much be a walk on joining his BC alumni. Then there is Florida where his brother plays and is seriously less competitive for a roster spot. I think all we have to offer this kid is the bright lights of NY, probably puts us down his list quite a bit.

AmericanJesus
08-15-2014, 01:14 PM
Id have to assume that with him growing up in the burbs of boston and going to BC that the Bruins are his first choice, then there would be Calgary he would pretty much be a walk on joining his BC alumni. Then there is Florida where his brother plays and is seriously less competitive for a roster spot. I think all we have to offer this kid is the bright lights of NY, probably puts us down his list quite a bit.

I think he played with Kreider some prior to his senior year. That and us signing a bunch of other college UFAs are probably why he's connected with us.

Shanahammer
08-15-2014, 02:32 PM

Boston's salary cap situation pretty much rules them out.

DiJock94
08-15-2014, 02:35 PM
They can easily move a player or two before the start of the year. The salary cap can always be worked around not like Hayes will be a huge cap hit. Heard they're looking to move Mcquaid anyway cause they have a log jam on d

DiJock94
08-15-2014, 02:36 PM
Calgary has both his two best friends and line mates from college signed already too

Drew a Penalty
08-15-2014, 03:33 PM
They can easily move a player or two before the start of the year. The salary cap can always be worked around not like Hayes will be a huge cap hit. Heard they're looking to move Mcquaid anyway cause they have a log jam on d

They still haven't re-signed Krug. Trading McQuaid will do very little to open up space given his very low cap hit. The Bruins really have a very little chance of signing Hayes if he wants to get paid and play now.

Pete
08-15-2014, 03:43 PM
Isn't Reilly Smith also unsigned?

Drew a Penalty
08-15-2014, 03:50 PM
Yeah. You're right. Even less of a chance for Hayes with two big RFAs that need to be re-signed.

I think this Bruins connection is purely a hometown connection. The Bruins also have tight space, tight roster and better prospects. They could inquire, but I doubt they can actually do something serious.

TwoMinutesForNothing
08-16-2014, 06:57 PM
:tweet: Dominic Tiano @dominictiano
Several NHL teams represented at the office of Pro-Athletes Management Inc.who represent Kevin Hayes. Only 1/2 hour from Boston

Captain Clutch
08-16-2014, 07:34 PM
Did Glen fly in on his gold helicopter and hand him his jersey?

TwoMinutesForNothing
08-16-2014, 09:07 PM
:tweet: Mark Divver ‏@MarkDivver 3m
Hearing that Kevin Hayes camp will spend Sunday narrowing list of NHL suitors, then speak with 4 to 5 finalists on Mon.

Captain Clutch
08-16-2014, 09:54 PM
Jesus christ, all for a college player. The hell is with this shit.

Pete
08-16-2014, 10:49 PM
And then they're average.

Captain Clutch
08-16-2014, 11:14 PM
And then they're average.

Pretty much.

CreaseCrusader91
08-16-2014, 11:22 PM
It makes sense. They are at the very least cheap boom or bust talent that costs less than a normal UFA.

And they pay off sometimes. For every Blake Wheeler there is a Justin Schultz.

Puck Head
08-17-2014, 01:54 PM
Jesus christ, all for a college player. The hell is with this shit.

He's a former 1st round pick who is UFA and just turned 22
Also, he's developed well, (67 pts last season).

Teams want him, he has huge value and they give up nothing to get him.
This doesn't happen often. Last time was Schultz

And Blake Wheeler worked out fine. I'd love to have his problem on this roster.

cousin
08-18-2014, 08:24 AM
Has anyone on the board seen this kid play?

Got to think they talked to Kreider as well. We need forwards.

RichieNextel305
08-18-2014, 10:28 AM
Just read a tweet from Danny Picard saying the 5 teams in the mix for Hayes still are the Avalanche, Predators, Bruins, Penguins and Rangers.

Not sure how reputable but figured I'd post that I saw it.

AmericanJesus
08-18-2014, 10:45 AM
Just read a tweet from Danny Picard saying the 5 teams in the mix for Hayes still are the Avalanche, Predators, Bruins, Penguins and Rangers.

Not sure how reputable but figured I'd post that I saw it.

I believe it's been reported that a reason Hayes has passed on the Blackhawks is because of their depth at RW. For the sake of his NHL career and also financial future, it makes sense he'd want to sign with a team that has a top 9 roll for a RW in the not too distant future. The highest spot he could be looking at with us this year would likely be 3rd line RW. Some combination of MSL, Nash and MZA will fill the top two RW spots with one possibly converting to LW. We also have a good amount of competition for that third line RW spot:

Stempniak
Fast
Kristo
Haggerty

After this coming year, it will depend on what happens with both MSL and MZA, as both are on expiring contracts.

cousin
08-18-2014, 03:09 PM
Among those rumored and reported to be in the hunt for Hayes leading up to this weekend are the Colorado Avalanche, Nashville Predators, New York Rangers, Calgary Flames, Florida Panthers, Arizona Coyotes, Boston Bruins and Pittsburgh Penguins.

The Flames currently count both of Hayes' BC linemates – Johnny Gaudreau and Bill Arnold -- among their prospects. Hayes' older brother, Jimmy Hayes is a forward for the Florida Panthers. The Bruins are Hayes' hometown club as he hails from Dorchester, Mass. Meanwhile, Tom Fitzgerald an assistant general manager for the Penguins, is Hayes' cousin. Former BC teammate Chris Kreider plays for the New York Rangers.

It seems that a lot of the teams that have the rumored inside track on Hayes are those with close personal ties, but Joe Haggerty of CSN New England has previously reported that the Colorado Avalanche and Nashville Predators were among the favoirtes.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24664967/nhl-rumors-kevin-hayes-narrowing-list-of-teams-more-meetings-monday

Phil in Absentia
08-19-2014, 11:57 AM
:tweet: @MarkDivver: Hearing this morning that the Rangers are in the thick of the bidding for Kevin Hayes.

CreaseCrusader91
08-19-2014, 12:21 PM
This keeps changing back and forth.

RichieNextel305
08-19-2014, 01:49 PM
Hope he signs here.

AmericanJesus
08-19-2014, 01:52 PM
Hope he signs here.

These types of signings can help mitigate the trades we've made of picks and prospects to compete. You sign enough of these guys, you snatch up an MZA every once in a while. I hope he signs here as well.

Morphinity
08-19-2014, 01:56 PM
These types of signings can help mitigate the trades we've made of picks and prospects to compete. You sign enough of these guys, you snatch up an MZA every once in a while. I hope he signs here as well.

And sometimes you get a Matt Gilroy. ;)

RichieNextel305
08-19-2014, 02:03 PM
I roll the dice everytime.

Pete
08-19-2014, 02:12 PM
We're at 49 contracts. If we sign Hayes, what happens to Moore?

Drew a Penalty
08-19-2014, 02:16 PM
We're at 49 contracts. If we sign Hayes, what happens to Moore?

Technically 47. Duclair and Graves slide.

Pete
08-19-2014, 02:18 PM
Technically 47. Duclair and Graves slide.

Right, right...DOesn't look like Duclair's does, just Graves?

http://www.capgeek.com/rangers/

Fuck, I thought we were rid of Moore. Dammit.

Drew a Penalty
08-19-2014, 02:18 PM

Probably a mistake by CapGeek. Duclair will still only be 19 so it should slide.

AmericanJesus
08-19-2014, 02:19 PM
And sometimes you get a Matt Gilroy. ;)

Absolutely. That's why it's a numbers game, just like the draft. The more selections you get, the better. With college players though, you're typically getting them further into their development so you have a better idea. Gilroy was a bust, but he still managed to play over 200 NHL games. Majority of the drafted prospects don't get more than a handful.

Puck Head
08-19-2014, 02:30 PM
Matt Gilroy was a special case.
Entered the NCAA as a walk on 21 year old, and left 4 years later.

Not near the pedigree of Hayes
1st round pick
Just threw down 65pts as a 21 year old Senior.

Just looking at 1st round picks that went the NCAA route recently (4 drafts before Hayes).

Nick Leddy
Chris Kreider
Kyle Palmieri
Jodran Schroeder

Colin Wilson
Jake Gardiner

James van Riemsdyk
Kyle Turris
Ryan McDonagh
Kevin Shatterkirik
Ian Cole
Riley Nash
Max Pacioretti

Erik Johnson
Jonathan Toews
Phil Kessel
Kyle Okposo
Mark Mitera
David Fischer

Outside of 3-4 players, I think we'd be pretty happy with any of those.
There's a reason Hayes is being courted so hard.

Shane Falco
08-19-2014, 02:45 PM

:lol:

I'm hoping he losses his spot to Connor Allen.

Pete
08-19-2014, 02:46 PM
He was still a first round pick. It's not like he was un-drafted out of college.

TwoMinutesForNothing
08-19-2014, 02:54 PM
Yeah, ranked as the best prospect in NCAA hockey here...

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014/3/3/5393080/ncaa-top-100-nhl-prospects-1-20-free-agent-nhl-draft

1. Kevin Hayes, Forward, Boston College (Chicago Blackhawks)

His linemate Johnny Gaudreau gets more headlines, but Hayes' 6-foot-2, 200-plus pound frame allows him to play a power forward game. It's something coach Jerry York is trying to get him to do more of, and when he's at his best, he looks a lot like a David Backes.

Puck Head
08-19-2014, 02:59 PM
Hayes is 6'4 and 216lbs
He has the NHL body and game for a power forward.

cousin
08-19-2014, 03:45 PM
hayes keeps sounding better all the time. Another kreider up front would be awesome.

Captain Clutch
08-19-2014, 04:27 PM
Any recent developments? Besides that the Rangers are one of the teams heavily going after him?

RichieNextel305
08-19-2014, 05:42 PM
Nothing yet.

Shane Falco
08-19-2014, 05:53 PM
I'd want this signing just so I have something new to look forward to. I'm not exactly thrilled with the off season signings thus far.

skunkman
08-19-2014, 10:40 PM
I guess the "decision expected today" does not mean today?

Pete
08-19-2014, 11:10 PM
Welcome to college...

Captain Clutch
08-19-2014, 11:37 PM
:tweet: @MarkDivver: Not looking good for #bruins on Kevin Hayes. I'm being told Rangers and Avs appear to have inside track.

He writes for the Provident journal so not sure how reliable, but that seems to be the latest rumor.

Pete
08-19-2014, 11:48 PM
Common sense says Bruins have no cap space.

Captain Clutch
08-19-2014, 11:53 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure why anyone thought Bruins would be able to get him. Same reason he didn't want to sign with Chicago.

CreaseCrusader91
08-20-2014, 12:28 AM
Mark Divver @MarkDivver 28m

He writes for the Provident journal so not sure how reliable, but that seems to be the latest rumor.

This guy has been reporting all along. At this point I think he comes here. Yeah it is cluttered right now, but he'd have a good spot here in future if he performs. MSL a UFA, Stempniak on. 1 year deal gives flexibility.

Pete
08-20-2014, 07:23 AM
I'd think he needs a year in the AHL, anyway.

Future
08-20-2014, 09:44 AM
hayes keeps sounding better all the time. Another kreider up front would be awesome.
I don't think he has the same speed or skillset as Kreider...think more like Pouliot, at least in the short term.

He might end up being a really good fit with Brassard and Zuccarrello if he can play that kind of power forward game at the NHL level.

AmericanJesus
08-20-2014, 09:54 AM

This isn't about cap space. His NHL salary this year will likely be just under $1M before bonuses. Every NHL team could figure out a way to fit that under the cap for a prospect of his projection, including Boston. There must have been some other reason he didn't want to play there, or at least wanted to play for another team more. What's surprising is that you're not hearing Calgary in the mix. That seems most odd. I guess you could look at that and say, "kid is looking for a good shot at a roster spot, but also wants to win some time soon". Calgary gives no indication that winning is on their radar in the near future.

Phil in Absentia
08-20-2014, 09:58 AM
:tweet: @iancmclaren: Not surprised the Bruins are out on Hayes. They can't even afford Kevin McCallister at this point.

TwoMinutesForNothing
08-20-2014, 10:39 AM
:tweet: @DannyPicard: Sources tell me Kevin Hayes has signed with the New York Rangers.

cousin
08-20-2014, 10:40 AM
YES!!!!!

East coast, original six. Why not?

Phil in Absentia
08-20-2014, 10:41 AM
I hope he's right. This kid'd frame alone is everything you want in a hockey player.

RichieNextel305
08-20-2014, 10:42 AM
Buccigross is reporting it too I'm reading.

TwoMinutesForNothing
08-20-2014, 10:43 AM
Confirmed!

:tweet: Ray Ferraro @rayferrarotsn 2m
John @Buccigross reports from Dublin on Ray Ferraro's twitter feed that @KevinPHayes12 has signed with @NYRangers #blueshiirts

Drew a Penalty
08-20-2014, 10:43 AM
Hoping it's true. Would be a successful summer in terms of college signings. Definitely added some guys with some potential.

Myusername
08-20-2014, 10:44 AM
So what's the big deal with this guy that he is warranting so much attention? Is he more than just a product of playing with Gaudreau? Oh well, not losing anything, so who cares

Drew a Penalty
08-20-2014, 10:46 AM
So what's the big deal with this guy that he is warranting so much attention? Is he more than just a product of playing with Gaudreau? Oh well, not losing anything, so who cares

He's a skilled power forward. Gaudreau was good, but Hayes wasn't entirely a product of him. People are going to make a big deal about a good first round pick making it to free agency. Who wouldn't want a free first?

Pete
08-20-2014, 10:47 AM
This isn't about cap space. His NHL salary this year will likely be just under $1M before bonuses. Every NHL team could figure out a way to fit that under the cap for a prospect of his projection, including Boston. There must have been some other reason he didn't want to play there, or at least wanted to play for another team more. What's surprising is that you're not hearing Calgary in the mix. That seems most odd. I guess you could look at that and say, "kid is looking for a good shot at a roster spot, but also wants to win some time soon". Calgary gives no indication that winning is on their radar in the near future.

:tweet: @iancmclaren: Not surprised the Bruins are out on Hayes. They can't even afford Kevin McCallister at this point.
;) :chug:

Wonder if they add him to the Traverse roster.

Nice to add a first rounder, but I have zero expectations without seeing him play.

Shanahammer
08-20-2014, 10:48 AM
He's a skilled power forward. Gaudreau was good, but Hayes was entirely a product of him. People are going to make a big deal about a good first round pick making it to free agency. Who wouldn't want a free first?

Hayes was having a very good season before he got put with Gaudreau. Something to the tune of 22 pts in 17 games. Lambert referenced that in a Puck Daddy blog a couple of days ago.

Phil in Absentia
08-20-2014, 10:49 AM
;) :chug:

Wonder if they add him to the Traverse roster.

Nice to add a first rounder, but I have zero expectations without seeing him play.

Same.

Great frame, great size. Clearly has shown success where you want to see it in his time in the NCAA, but how well and more importantly, how quickly that translates to the NHL level remains to be seen. He may need a year in the AHL.

Drew a Penalty
Hayes was having a very good season before he got put with Gaudreau. Something to the tune of 22 pts in 17 games. Lambert referenced that in a Puck Daddy blog a couple of days ago.

Meant to say wasn't entirely a product. Typing quickly, just woke up.

Myusername
He's a skilled power forward. Gaudreau was good, but Hayes was entirely a product of him. People are going to make a big deal about a good first round pick making it to free agency. Who wouldn't want a free first?

Yeah, I think it's the fact that he was a former first round pick that is elevating him up to a conversational topic. Haggerty had a similarly impressive profile and barely anyone talked about him before he signed here

Phil in Absentia
08-20-2014, 10:52 AM
:tweet: @TIOPS_DePaoli: Kevin Hayes signing with Rangers who made great impression and sales pitch. Penguins made a play for him but were long shot from the start.

:tweet: @rangersreport: Reports starting to surface that Kevin Hayes will sign with Rangers today; former Chicago 2010 first-rounder.

Drew a Penalty
08-20-2014, 10:52 AM
Yeah, I think it's the fact that he was a former first round pick that is elevating him up to a conversational topic. Haggerty had a similarly impressive profile and barely anyone talked about him before he signed here

Haggerty didn't have as strong of a track record. Hayes is better than Haggerty. It's just that Hayes had more of a following because he was better for longer and had been drafted. It's not like teams weren't in on Haggerty. The whole reason he was on the roster was so we could beat Chicago out.

Shanahammer
08-20-2014, 10:55 AM
Meant to say wasn't entirely a product. Typing quickly, just woke up.

Ahh gotcha. Also, its not really mentioned that much, but Hayes was having a pretty solid junior year (25 pts in 27 games) before he got injured for the rest of the season.

TwoMinutesForNothing
08-20-2014, 10:57 AM
It's a big deal because he's big, skates very well, has very good hands and great hockey sense. His hockey sense might be his strongest asset, which is what you would normally kill for from a guy with all of those other tools. It's what makes them all work. He may not become a star, but he's almost a lock to become a very useful NHL player.

Pete
08-20-2014, 10:58 AM
Sounds like Jason Chimera. Big, fast, can play in all situations, just not that "elite" talent, but he'll be a main stay on the 3rd line and get you 12-15 goals and 40 points (that's Chimera, not a prediction on Hayes).

Morphinity
08-20-2014, 11:00 AM
Sounds like Jason Chimera. Big, fast, can play in all situations, just not that "elite" talent, but he'll be a main stay on the 3rd line and get you 12-15 goals and 40 points (that's Chimera, not a prediction on Hayes).

Good. I fucking hate Chimera. I hope Hayes can get on that level of annoying.

TwoMinutesForNothing
08-20-2014, 11:05 AM

That's about how I would assess him.

Captain Clutch
08-20-2014, 11:05 AM
Great news to see coming on here today. Hope he can bring some 1st round talent to this team.

Phil in Absentia
08-20-2014, 11:06 AM
More confirmation:

:tweet: JoshRimerHockey: And Kevin Hayes is a NY Ranger.

Myusername
08-20-2014, 11:08 AM

I would think Hayes has more upside than 12-15 goals. Hopefully anyway

But if he doesn't depth never hurts.

TwoMinutesForNothing
08-20-2014, 11:11 AM

More upside yes, he's been compared to David Backes as in the article I posted a couple days ago. But that's his ceiling. He is more likely to become a very solid 3rd line player with winning pedigree.

Pete
08-20-2014, 11:11 AM

Why? I'm not saying he doesn't, but at the same time, what makes you think he does?

TwoMinutesForNothing
08-20-2014, 11:14 AM
Good bloodlines. I knew about his brother obviously, but I didn't know he was cousins with Tom Fitzgerald and Keith Tkachuk.

Myusername
08-20-2014, 11:17 AM
Why? I'm not saying he doesn't, but at the same time, what makes you think he does?

He scored 27 goals in 40 games in college? Anyhow, talking upside.

Actually, what impresses me more is his 57 assists in his last 67 games. Seems like a rounded player

So Nashty
08-20-2014, 11:21 AM
..in college.Well see how he does the pros. Either way exciting news.

Captain Clutch
08-20-2014, 11:22 AM
I hope he can score 20-30 goals when he starts getting used to the NHL level. This team has needed a true 1st round, talent high scorer for a long time. Hopefully he and Kreider can fill that role. But, that's just being hopeful

TwoMinutesForNothing
08-20-2014, 11:23 AM
He is more of a playmaker, so I'm not too worried about the goals. He was in fact having a very big season for BC long before he got moved to the top line. Well over a point per game on line 2 for the first 15 or so games. He does have a great shot and it was him, not Gaudreau that won the Beanpot MVP. Hayes also got some great experience playing at Worlds with all the other NHLer's earlier this summer and scored a goal and assist. He's bigger than I thought because BC's site lists him at 6'4 216, and that is likely the most up to date listing for him. He's a horse, but his biggest flaw is that he doesn't use his frame to enforce his will enough. He needs to become more physical. Kreider better show him how it's done.

Pete
08-20-2014, 11:27 AM
I hope he can score 20-30 goals when he starts getting used to the NHL level. This team has needed a true 1st round, talent high scorer for a long time. Hopefully he and Kreider can fill that role. But, that's just being hopeful

Only 21 players scored more than 30 goals last year. The difference between 20 and 30 goals is significant.

AmericanJesus
08-20-2014, 11:42 AM
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/so-how-good-is-kevin-hayes-really-reports-have-him-signing-with-new-york-rangers/#.U_S_cnh1fIM.twitter

The knock on 6-foot-4, 216-pound Hayes is he’s more of a plodding skater. As the game gets quicker at the next levels, is he going to be able to keep up? Scouts have said it’s probably best for him to transition his game and foot speed in the American League until it approaches average NHL standards. But at 22 and now four years removed from being taken in the first round, it’s understandable Hayes would prefer a fast track to the big league rather than apprentice in the AHL until he’s 24 or 25.

So where does Hayes sit on the New York depth chart?
The Rangers have Martin St-Louis, Rick Nash, Mats Zuccarello and Lee Stempniak on the right wing. Hayes is a left shot and could be moved to that wing in New York. The Rangers have Chris Kreider, Carl Hagelin, Tanner Glass and Matthew Lombardi on the left wing. Among top 10 prospects, the Rangers have Jesper Fast and Danny Kristo on the right side and Anthony Duclair on the left side.

TwoMinutesForNothing
08-20-2014, 11:44 AM
Great read here...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/happy-kevin-hayes-day--nhl--trending-topics-141345214.html

Gaudreau was certainly the creative dynamo who could do things no one else could. Arnold was the steadfast rock of two-way hockey who enabled the free-wheeling style of his two linemates. And Hayes used a completely revamped game — following a career-threatening injury at the end of 2012-13 that required a few surgeries — to be the real skull-cracker of the set, not with simple physical hockey, but because he just skated at teams and then went through them and scored.

In fact, another reason Hayes wasn't a Hobey finalist was because of the impression among those who didn't see BC very often was that his scoring this season was Gaudreau-driven. And while playing with the best player in NCAA hockey over the last two decades or so doesn't hurt, those who saw Hayes a lot last year — for me, it was 15 times live — know that wasn't the case. Even before they were put together on Dec. 6, Hayes put up a “mere” 21 points in 14 games by lugging inferior linemates to success. Thus, with Gaudreau, his points per game went up by just 0.19, a little less than 13 percent. Point being: He was a star no matter who he played with.

AmericanJesus
08-20-2014, 11:57 AM
:tweet: @drosennhl With Hayes, could these lines work for NYR: Kreider-Stepan-Nash, Hagelin-Brass-St. Louis, Zuccarello-Miller-Hayes, Lombardi-Moore-Stempniak?

Pete
08-20-2014, 11:57 AM
:tweet: @drosennhl With Hayes, could these lines work for NYR: Kreider-Stepan-Nash, Hagelin-Brass-St. Louis, Zuccarello-Miller-Hayes, Lombardi-Moore-Stempniak?

Has this guys ever watched the Rangers before?

AmericanJesus
08-20-2014, 12:02 PM
Has this guys ever watched the Rangers before?

That's what I was thinking. Yes, lets break up MZA and Brassard.

NYR2711
08-20-2014, 12:03 PM
Good. I fucking hate Chimera. I hope Hayes can get on that level of annoying.

This, we need someone like this on our team who is hard to play against and can get the other team off their game, yet still be effective and produce a little bit offensively.

Pete
08-20-2014, 12:04 PM
That's what I was thinking. Yes, lets break up MZA and Brassard.

Right?

I'm actually thinking Hayes doesn't even make the team out of camp, but should he make it:

Kreider Stepan Nash
MZA Brassard Hayes
Hagelin Miller/Lombardi MSL
4th

Is really how I'd go with it.

Pete
08-20-2014, 12:06 PM
Am I missing something?

:tweet:Kevin Weekes: Just spoke to a member of the @NYRangers Front Office re signing of Hayes : " 6'5 skilled Centre Ice Men are hard to find."Great point.

Captain Clutch
08-20-2014, 12:08 PM
Front office guy could be anyone, maybe someone not completely into this whole thing :rofl:

NYR2711
08-20-2014, 12:09 PM
Right?

I'm actually thinking Hayes doesn't even make the team out of camp, but should he make it:

Kreider Stepan Nash
MZA Brassard Hayes
4th

I would rather see MZA with MSL on the same line, I think they would work very well together.

Pete
08-20-2014, 12:10 PM
I would rather see MZA with MSL on the same line, I think they would work very well together.

Think they'd be far too small.

AmericanJesus
08-20-2014, 12:11 PM

I brought that up in the past, but as was pointed out, that's a heck of a lot of short on one line.

AmericanJesus
08-20-2014, 12:11 PM
Think they'd be far too small.

Beat me to it. But then, you had the height advantage on this one.

AmericanJesus
08-20-2014, 12:13 PM
Am I missing something?

:tweet:Kevin Weekes: Just spoke to a member of the @NYRangers Front Office re signing of Hayes : " 6'5 skilled Centre Ice Men are hard to find."Great point.

So, apparently he did play some center:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/kevin_hayes/

2010-11: In his freshman season at Boston College, Kevin Hayes skated in 31 games and scored 4 goals, 10 assists for 14 points. A knee injury sustained in an early-November practice knocked the forward out of the Eagles lineup until late December and continued to limit his effectiveness for the following weeks. Hayes was relegated largely to the fourth line center role during the second half.

2011-12: Hayes skated in all 44 games for national champion Boston College in his sophomore season. Playing both wing and center for the Eagles, Hayes was frequently on a line with New York Rangers’ prospect Chris Kreider. He finished the season with 3 goals and 7 assists and was plus-nine with 2 penalty minutes. Two of his three goals were game-winners. The Eagles won 19 straight games to finish the season – winning the Hockey East regular season and playoff titles and defeating Ferris State, 4-1, in the Frozen Four championship game.

Edit: They have him shooting right, but I thought I saw people on twitter talking about him being a left hand shot so he might be able switch to LW if needed.

Pete
08-20-2014, 12:13 PM
Beat me to it. But then, you had the height advantage on this one.

Yea, MSL and MZA are 2 guys I see eye-to-eye with.

Pete
08-20-2014, 12:14 PM
So, apparently he did play some center:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/kevin_hayes/

So did we just land out 3rd line center?

AmericanJesus
08-20-2014, 12:15 PM
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2014/08/20/rangers-sign-free-agent-center-kevin-hayes-22/

According to several reports, the Rangers signed 22-year-old unrestricted free agent Kevin Hayes, a left-shooting right-winger who can also play center, Wednesday.

Hayes, Chicago’s first-round pick in 2010 (24th overall), became an unrestricted free agent when the Blackhawks failed/declined to sign him by the Aug. 15 deadline.

AmericanJesus
08-20-2014, 12:17 PM
So did we just land out 3rd line center?

I thought it was Miller's spot to lose to Lombardi, who had it locked up if he could stay healthy and if Lindberg didn't take it? I'm so confused.

TwoMinutesForNothing
08-20-2014, 12:17 PM
Am I missing something?

He's played center in the past. He was drafted as a center but moved to wing to play with Bill Arnold at the top line. Arnold is a very good two-way player so Hayes moved to wing.

So Nashty
08-20-2014, 12:19 PM
Sorry if it was already mentioned but why did Chicago refuse/fail to sign him?

Pete
08-20-2014, 12:20 PM

He didn't want to go there due to their depth. He wants to get to the NHL right away.

Which is why I don't think he's going to play center, Chicago doesn't have C depth...

AmericanJesus
08-20-2014, 12:20 PM

He refused to sign with them. It reportedly had to do with their forward depth. He wanted a faster track to the NHL if he could compete at that level.

So Nashty
08-20-2014, 12:25 PM
Makes sense. Thanks. Well here's to hoping he makes the roster and does well.

Gorilla Salad
08-20-2014, 12:26 PM
Hayes' Brother just tweeted this...

Jimmy HayesVerified account ‏@Jimmy10Hayes
Congrats to my little brother @KevinPHayes12 on signing with the @NYRangers today #nhl #proudbigbrother

AmericanJesus
08-20-2014, 12:32 PM
:tweet: New York Rangers ‏@NYRangers OFFICIAL: #NYR have agreed to terms with free agent forward @KevinPHayes12.

AmericanJesus
08-20-2014, 12:34 PM
http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/6524/rangers-agree-to-terms-with-forward-kevin-hayes?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=tweets&utm_content=twitter_1408551526#.U_TN5_lHCxU

The 6-5, 225-pounder

Morphinity
08-20-2014, 12:36 PM
Is it just me or has this guy gotten bigger and bigger over the past week or so?

MacTruck
08-20-2014, 12:39 PM
So the lines...

Kreider - Stepan - St. Louis
Nash - Brassard - Zuccarello
Hagelin - Miller - Hayes
Glass - D. Moore - Stempniak

?

TwoMinutesForNothing
http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/6524/rangers-agree-to-terms-with-forward-kevin-hayes?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=tweets&utm_content=twitter_1408551526#.U_TN5_lHCxU

He's growing by the minute LOL.

TwoMinutesForNothing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn41bl5-VN8

DiJock94
08-20-2014, 12:40 PM
Really didn't think this was gonna happen but I'm pumped

TwoMinutesForNothing
08-20-2014, 12:41 PM
I like...

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Hayes-Brassard-Zuc
Hagelin-Lombardi-MSL
Glass/Miller-Moore-Stempniak

That 3rd line is the fastest line on Earth.

AmericanJesus
08-20-2014, 12:41 PM
He's growing by the minute LOL.

Changing size, position and even shooting side. If he makes the team, we could have ourselves a 7'0" 265lb ambidextrous defenseman.

Morphinity
08-20-2014, 12:42 PM
Changing size, position and even shooting side. If he makes the team, we could have ourselves a 7'0" 265lb ambidextrous defenseman.

I want him in net.

AmericanJesus
08-20-2014, 12:43 PM
I like...

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Hayes-Brassard-Zuc
Hagelin-Lombardi-MSL
Glass/Miller-Moore-Stempniak

That 3rd line is the fastest line on Earth.

Or try Hagelin on the right for the really fastest line on earth:

Nash - Stepan - MSL
Hayes - Brassard - Zuc
Kreider - Lombardi - Hagelin
Glass - Moore - Stemp

Vodka Drunkenski
Left handed Getzlaf/Perry, where do I sign

AmericanJesus
I want him in net.

I think you need to give him some NHL experience before making that kind of change.

Morphinity
08-20-2014, 12:45 PM
I think you need to give him some NHL experience before making that kind of change.

I heard he played goalie once in a street hockey game when he was 8. Kid's a stud.

Vodka Drunkenski
08-20-2014, 12:46 PM
I heard he played goalie once in a street hockey game when he was 8. Kid's a stud.

That reminds me a lot of Haggerty

Phil in Absentia
08-20-2014, 12:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn41bl5-VN8

Looks good. Plenty of size, clearly. His skating doesn't look superb, though. Wonder if that might hinder him a bit. Once he's going, it's tough to stop him, clearly, but based on this, there's still things he'll need to work on to be a successful NHL player.

TwoMinutesForNothing
08-20-2014, 12:48 PM
http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2014/8/20/6049089/kevin-hayes-new-york-rangers-analysis-boston-college

A bigger player, Hayes can create room for himself or his teammates on the ice, while he certainly doesn't need the puck to be effective. There's no doubt Gaudreau was key in that element, as college hockey's leading scorer was deft in finding Hayes all season long in tight spaces. But Hayes' blend of size and skill along with the style he plays makes him a very intriguing prospect, and a player who likely can contribute sooner rather than later.

He should really be great with Zuc. Zuc is basically the NHL version of Gaudreau and Hayes brings even more size and space than Pouliot did. We'll see if he proves himself right away, but it sounds perfect.

Phil in Absentia
08-20-2014, 12:51 PM
Well, it's not like the Rangers really replaced Pouliot effectively, so I see no issue with giving Hayes a legitimate crack of stepping into those skates.

All I know is that there's gonna be a ton of competition in camp. No one, vets or rookies, is being given a spot.

Miller, Fast, Lindberg, Haggerty, Kristo, Hayes, Lombardi, Mueller, Kostka, Hunwick, etc. are all fighting for positions.

pellman800
08-20-2014, 12:58 PM
I really like this. Saw him in person against Penn State this year. Now keeping in mind that we are just a second-year program with the minimal amount of top-level talent (coming soon), kid was just a beast.

Pete
08-20-2014, 12:59 PM
I still think he starts in the A.

Phil in Absentia
08-20-2014, 01:02 PM
I still think he starts in the A.

Could certainly. I edited above, but there are a ton of guys coming into camp this year fighting for a handful of positions on the team.

He's in camp with Miller, Kristo, Fast, Haggerty, Lombardi, Mueller and Lindberg at the very least. That of course saying nothing of Stempniak, Glass, who we are assuming are making the team by default.

Phil in Absentia
08-20-2014, 01:05 PM
:tweet: @HartnettHockey: How's it looking? A lot of guys out of Minnesota and Boston. #NYR

:rofl:

Pete
08-20-2014, 01:08 PM
:tweet: @HartnettHockey: How's it looking? A lot of guys out of Minnesota and Boston. #NYR

:rofl:

I don't get it.

AmericanJesus
08-20-2014, 01:10 PM
At the very least, Hartford should be looking at a legit Calder Cup run with the guys who don't make the team this year. And we've done a heck of a good job replacing the prospect depth we've lost by way of trade recently.

Allen
Haggerty
Bodie
Hayes

That's like 4 1st-4th round draft picks made up for over the past couple of years.

Shanahammer
08-20-2014, 01:12 PM
At the very least, Hartford should be looking at a legit Calder Cup run with the guys who don't make the team this year. And we've done a heck of a good job replacing the prospect depth we've lost by way of trade recently.

Allen
Haggerty
Bodie
Hayes

That's like 4 1st-4th round draft picks made up for over the past couple of years.

Add in McCarthy, and I like how aggressive Sather has been in the college FA market.

leetchy2
08-20-2014, 01:14 PM
Well I'm really stoked about this signing. This certainly helps reduce the sting of losing Boyle & Pouliot.

Phil in Absentia
08-20-2014, 01:15 PM
I don't get it.

It's a line from Miracle.

He's joking about how many BC and Minnesota guys are on the Rangers, or could be.

Hayes, Kreider (BC), Stepan, McDonagh (MIN).

Pete
08-20-2014, 01:18 PM

He's joking about how many BC and Minnesota guys are on the Rangers, or could be.

I know where they are from, I just don't remember that line from Miracle.

Phil in Absentia
08-20-2014, 01:24 PM
I know where they are from, I just don't remember that line from Miracle.

It's toward the beginning of the movie, I think. The guy who plays the goalie is looking at the camp roster sheet and when O'Callahan shows up and says hi to him, he asks him "how's it looking?". The goalie tells him "A lot of guys from Minnesota and Boston", and O'Callahan responds sarcastically "Yeah, that'll work..."

Pete
08-20-2014, 01:25 PM
It's toward the beginning of the movie, I think. The guy who plays the goalie is looking at the camp roster sheet and when O'Callahan shows up and says hi to him, he asks him "how's it looking?". The goalie tells him "A lot of guys from Minnesota and Boston", and O'Callahan responds sarcastically "Yeah, that'll work..."

Riiiiight. Got it.

AmericanJesus
08-20-2014, 01:27 PM

What's crazy is how many college hockey players could be on the team this year or the next few years:

Locks:
MSL
Stepan
McDonagh
Kreider
Hagelin
D. Moore
Talbot

Possible This Year or Future:
Allen
Hayes
Kristo
Haggerty
Bodie
Skjei
Nieves
McCarthy

Phil in Absentia
08-20-2014, 01:35 PM
Well, the Rangers went shopping heavy in the college free agent market to restock the cupboards, so the futures list isn't all that surprising to me.

Haggerty, Bodie, McCarthy and now Hayes all came in the last calendar year.

TwoMinutesForNothing
08-20-2014, 01:42 PM

Allen
Haggerty
Bodie
Hayes

Also Zamorsky, not NCAA but still.

TwoMinutesForNothing
08-20-2014, 01:45 PM
From Rangers official press release...

http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/6524/rangers-agree-to-terms-with-forward-kevin-hayes#.U_TeLY4hfTQ

The 6-5, 225-pounder tallied a career-high, 12-game point streak from November 29 vs. Holy Cross to January 25 at Penn State (13 goals, 14 assists over the span).

Pete
08-20-2014, 01:46 PM
We signed Chara!

CreaseCrusader91
08-20-2014, 01:47 PM
We signed Chara!
He'd did play defense for a brief stint at BC.

Pete
08-20-2014, 02:27 PM
Chicago’s first-round pick (24th overall) in the 2010 NHL Draft spent four seasons with Boston College, but since Hayes and the ‘Hawks couldn’t come to terms, general manager Stan Bowman will receive a compensatory second-round draft pick (54th overall) in 2015.http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kevin-hayes-sweepstakes-nhl-teams-bid-bruins-avalanche-rangers-chicago-blackhawks-ufa/

--

So much for "it didn't cost us anything"...

cousin
08-20-2014, 02:27 PM
We signed Chara!We should have. Don't get me started on that. Ha!

Morphinity
08-20-2014, 02:29 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kevin-hayes-sweepstakes-nhl-teams-bid-bruins-avalanche-rangers-chicago-blackhawks-ufa/

--

Wait, I don't think we gave them that pick. It's awarded by the league, I believe.

cousin
08-20-2014, 02:29 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kevin-hayes-sweepstakes-nhl-teams-bid-bruins-avalanche-rangers-chicago-blackhawks-ufa/

--

So much for "it didn't cost us anything"...Kid must be quality player for rangers to make the deal.

Pete
08-20-2014, 02:30 PM
Wait, I don't think we gave them that pick.

Do they just get the 61st pick?

cousin
08-20-2014, 02:31 PM
Do they just get the 61st pick?Chicago no longer had rights. Interesting

Morphinity
08-20-2014, 02:31 PM
Do they just get the 61st pick?

It says 54th overall there.

Puck Head
08-20-2014, 02:32 PM

--

I'm not sure that pick comes from the Rangers Pete.
4 days ago the Blackhawks GM quotes something about not coming to terms with Hayes, and they are excited about the 2nd round pick they will receive.
What's odd is he specifically said the 54th overall......so unless he knew the Rangers were signing Hayes, not sure why he would have the exact pick 4 days ago.

Pete
08-20-2014, 02:32 PM
I'm not sure that pick comes from the Rangers Pete.
4 days ago the Blackhawks GM quotes something about not coming to terms with Hayes, and they are excited about the 2nd round pick they will receive.
What's odd is he specifically said the 54th overall......so unless he knew the Rangers were signing Hayes, not sure why he would have the exact pick 4 days ago.

It says 54th overall there.

Oh, duh. :doh:

Phil in Absentia
08-20-2014, 02:35 PM

--

Compensatory is via the NHL, not the Rangers.

Puck Head
08-20-2014, 02:35 PM
What's crazy is how many college hockey players could be on the team this year or the next few years:

Locks:
MSL
Stepan
McDonagh
Kreider
Hagelin
D. Moore
Talbot

Possible This Year or Future:
Allen
Hayes
Kristo
Haggerty
Bodie
Skjei
Nieves
McCarthy

Currently we are just a tad higher than NHL averages.
32% or 1 in every 3 NHL players played in the NCAA.

Morphinity
08-20-2014, 02:36 PM
Oh, duh. :doh:

It's cool, man. It's still the offseason. Plenty of time to get into shape.

TwoMinutesForNothing
08-20-2014, 02:42 PM
He was taken 24th overall in the 1st round. When this happens with an NCAA player, the team that loses him gets the same pick, but one round later in the next draft. So they get the 24th overall pick in round 2, aka the 54th pick and there are now 61 picks in the 2nd round, everyone after gets bumped down one.

Future
08-20-2014, 03:43 PM
http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2014/8/20/6049089/kevin-hayes-new-york-rangers-analysis-boston-college

He should really be great with Zuc. Zuc is basically the NHL version of Gaudreau and Hayes brings even more size and space than Pouliot did. We'll see if he proves himself right away, but it sounds perfect.
Call it your 2nd, 3rd line...whatever. He fits perfectly with Brassard and Zucc if his game translates to the NHl.

momentum
08-20-2014, 04:03 PM
Right?

Kreider Stepan Nash
MZA Brassard Hayes
4th

I still think Kreider would work with Zucc and Brass

Nash Stepan MSL
MZA Brassard Kreider
Hagelin Miller/Lombardi Hayes
4th

MacTruck
08-20-2014, 04:46 PM
I still think Kreider would work with Zucc and Brass

Nash Stepan MSL
MZA Brassard Kreider
Hagelin Miller/Lombardi Hayes
4th

My problem with these combinations is the first line being too slow. MSL has slowed down, Stepan isn't very fast, and Nash is molasses. I do agree that Kreider would thrive on the MZA-Brass line but I think Stepan and MSL need his speed more. The other option I see is:

Hagelin - Stepan - MSL
Kreider - Brass - MZA
Nash - Miller/Lombardi - Hayes
Glass - Moore - Stempniak

But then the first line lacks size, also not ideal.

Puck Head
08-20-2014, 04:57 PM
I still would love to see Kreider-Stepan-MSL
Thought that line looked excellent the few times they played together.

Kreider-Stepan-MSL
Hagelin-Brass-Zucc
Hayes-Miller-Nash

That's pretty good balance. Kind of a pipe dream to think Hayes walks on this roster though, and Miller to a lesser extent.

Slobberknocker
08-20-2014, 05:11 PM
Well, it's not like the Rangers really replaced Pouliot effectively, so I see no issue with giving Hayes a legitimate crack of stepping into those skates.

All I know is that there's gonna be a ton of competition in camp. No one, vets or rookies, is being given a spot.

Miller, Fast, Lindberg, Haggerty, Kristo, Hayes, Lombardi, Mueller, Kostka, Hunwick, etc. are all fighting for positions.

You better believe it. Coming off the finals appearance no one should take anything for granted. there are definately jobs to be won.... and lost. This is going to be a lot of fun to watch develop.

cousin
08-20-2014, 05:45 PM
Could be a make or break year for Miller. Getting Hayes puts him on notice.

TwoMinutesForNothing
08-20-2014, 06:10 PM
http://www.capgeek.com/player/3491

$3.75 mil with bonuses. $900k cap hit. 2 year contract.

cousin
08-20-2014, 07:21 PM
http://www.capgeek.com/player/3491

$3.75 mil with bonuses. $900k cap hit. 2 year contract.So what does this mean to Moore and the cap? To the bean counters out there.

Respecttheblue
08-20-2014, 08:21 PM
Well GlenSlat me with a wet fish! The GM deserves a :worship: ... ya I know that'll go down well with some, but he does have a knack.

Look I'm still smarting over Justin Schultz ... how did we not get im? But we can't get 'em all. This one we did, ... and OK, so I read all the numbers and I was impressed, ... but when I read
"The 6-5, 225-pounder ..." a bead of drool curled over my lip and down my shirt. I can't deny, bcd I was expecting big numbers in another tiny package. I didn't imagine another Kreider type might be possible (and I use 'Kreider type' very loosely, [OK all you nit-pickers?])

I hope he can fulful his promise. This is the kind of signing we needed to make, given our shitfurgratbottom position in the draft.

The first four of you who are happy about this are invited to toast this with a Blue Point Mosaic IPA from my personal stock (while stocks last) ;)
Shit that beer tastes like it's got grapefruit juice in it or something.

Phil in Absentia
08-20-2014, 08:37 PM
So what does this mean to Moore and the cap? To the bean counters out there.

Nothing. All his bonuses can roll over into next season (which they will do).

For all intents and purposes, his cap hit is $900K.

They gave him a max entry-level deal, basically, but the bonuses help a ton.

FleshistheFever
08-20-2014, 08:46 PM
Not sure if anyone posted this but check out what Hayes says when asked who his favorite NHL player is. Start it at 6:12. Mind you, this video was posted in Feb. 14, 2013. This is why he came to NY.

http://youtu.be/fW57SCJ50Bk?t=6m12s

This kid interviewing him could be Kreider's twin brother.

TwoMinutesForNothing
08-20-2014, 09:02 PM
Not sure if anyone posted this but check out what Hayes says when asked who his favorite NHL player is. Start it at 6:12. Mind you, this video was posted in Feb. 14, 2013. This is why he came to NY.

This kid interviewing him could be Kreider's twin brother.

That kid has to be related to Kreider somehow.

Respecttheblue
08-20-2014, 09:50 PM
He like da Fozzie Bear Nash ... how interesting.

Hope he gets some NHL time, but you know how this team is about putting players though "the process" i.e. AHL learn the system, prove you can play #therightway, before NHL

AmericanJesus
08-21-2014, 09:34 AM
http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/6525/hayes-new-york-will-be-a-great-opportunity-for-me#.U_X0zflHCxU

“Just coming to New York will be a great opportunity for me and my family,” Hayes added. “Seeing how successful they’ve been the last couple of years was really a reason why I ultimately chose the Rangers.”

“He’s a big man that has all kinds of skill, nice hands, hockey sense,” Rangers Assistant General Manager Jeff Gorton told BlueshirtsUnited.com. “We just saw him as — once he became available — as a guy that’s pretty close to playing. He has a lot of the things we’re looking for.”

“I think it’s no secret that we’ve made some big moves to get Marty St. Louis here, Rick Nash; it cost us a lot of assets on the way,” said Gorton, who added that he fully expects Hayes to compete for a roster spot in September. “To be able to add players that our guys really like, that we consider first-round type picks — that’s huge for us to be able to restock the cupboards sort of speak.”

Hayes said Kreider called him a few days ago to talk about the appeal of New York, and that it’ll be a positive having someone around he’s familiar with.

Hayes also said he spoke with former Ranger and Boston College alum Brian Boyle, whom Hayes said spoke highly of playing for the Rangers and in New York.

Big Game with one last assist.

Morphinity
08-21-2014, 09:37 AM
BGBB knows what it be. I guess he didn't want to go to Tampa because they're so stacked.

Phil in Absentia
08-21-2014, 09:40 AM
Glad to see the organization actually acknowledging the loss of picks as substantial.

So Nashty
08-21-2014, 09:46 AM
Did we also give up the first rounder in the up coming draft? I forget.

Slobberknocker
08-21-2014, 09:51 AM
he has a really high opinion of nash. boy is he in for a surprise...

Slobberknocker
08-21-2014, 09:52 AM
Did we also give up the first rounder in the up coming draft? I forget.

check the details of the msl trade but i believe so.

So Nashty
08-21-2014, 09:57 AM
Yea I wasn't sure where that ended since I knew we got a pick back if they signed Cally. I will look it up.

Gorilla Salad
08-21-2014, 11:37 AM
This training camp has the potential to be very interesting. There is the potential of an influx of youngsters that could crack the NHL lineup. I'm very excited to see how this plays out.

I believe we still have $1.3Mil of space. Moore will cost us $850k. Then the salaries of forwards Stempniak ($900k), Fast ($805k) Lombardi ($800k) Mueller ($600k) Hayes ($900k) Miller ($894k) and Kristo ($826k) are pretty much interchangeable, I think we have a very good chance of seeing some of these kids in there for a good stretch providing they come out strong and prove they belong.

I've read a few articles saying Hayes needs AHL seasoning, I guess we'll all see soon enough if that's the case. But since he was looking for a team willing to give him NHL minutes, I can't see why he would have signed here if he wasn't told he would be given every chance to earn a spot.

I for one, am very excited about this year's camp. After this year's Cup heartbreaker, we have to come out hungry to finish the job and make some noise.

momentum
08-21-2014, 01:01 PM

This kid interviewing him could be Kreider's twin brother.Wow, now there's 2 ppl who likes Nash, myself and this guy...Wohooo like him better already!

Pete
08-21-2014, 01:03 PM
That interview was before Nash was abducted by aliens the playoffs.

momentum
08-21-2014, 01:03 PM
My problem with these combinations is the first line being too slow. MSL has slowed down, Stepan isn't very fast, and Nash is molasses. I do agree that Kreider would thrive on the MZA-Brass line but I think Stepan and MSL need his speed more. The other option I see is:

Hagelin - Stepan - MSL
Kreider - Brass - MZA
Nash - Miller/Lombardi - Hayes
Glass - Moore - Stempniak

But then the first line lacks size, also not ideal.

Just have a hard time seeing them playing Nash making 7.5 mil out of the top 6 with Miller/Lombardi and a rookie, regardless of how bad his performance was these last playoffs.
I think he's a lock for the top 6.

momentum
08-21-2014, 01:04 PM
That interview was before Nash was abducted by aliens the playoffs.LOL true..but maybe he's like me and hope he rebounds. Have to stay positive!!

Phil in Absentia
08-21-2014, 01:05 PM
That interview was before Nash was abducted by aliens the playoffs.

True, but if you go back and watch the highlights package TwoMins posted earlier, he looks exactly the same. Right down to the single-deke move after powering to the net.

I wonder, like Nash, does this kid just refuse to shoot the puck? Every goal is gonna be scored on the ice as he just reaches around a goalie? :rofl:

Morphinity
08-21-2014, 01:25 PM
True, but if you go back and watch the highlights package TwoMins posted earlier, he looks exactly the same. Right down to the single-deke move after powering to the net.

I wonder, like Nash, does this kid just refuse to shoot the puck? Every goal is gonna be scored on the ice as he just reaches around a goalie? :rofl:

Nash doesn't refuse to shoot. He just flips a floater in from the blue line and ups dat Corsi For!

Myusername
08-21-2014, 02:52 PM
Wait, we gave him 3.75 million per year???

Pete
08-21-2014, 02:55 PM

$900k/year.

The rest is bonus money, but the incentives aren't released.

Phil in Absentia
08-21-2014, 02:58 PM

$3.75M is the maximum annual average value of the contract if all of his bonuses are earned (we don't know the kickers for them).

It's the maximum allotted contract for an entry-level deal (the same one Yakupov got in Edmonton, for example).

His NHL salary is $900K, and the remaining dollars are all allocated to various bonuses that he may or may not meet.

The silver lining is that any bonuses earned can (and likely will) be rolled over into next years' cap.

JOHN
08-21-2014, 03:52 PM
Nash doesn't refuse to shoot. He just flips a floater in from the blue line and ups dat Corsi For!

I can see the first day of camp now...

"Hey, you're Kevin, right? Welcome to the team."

"Holy shit, you're Rick Nash and you're actually shaking my hand, this is amazing. The first goal I score of my career and I'm going to be able to point to you!"

"Kevin, Kevin... This is the new NHL! Goals don't matter as much anymore, it's all about the corsi. Let me take you out to dinner and show you some charts."

Pete
08-21-2014, 03:53 PM
I'm hoping Nash can mentor Hayes on the defensive size of the puck, PKing and such.

Slobberknocker
08-21-2014, 03:58 PM
how much does a first round pick have the potential to earn on his deal versus getting drafted, waiting till the eligibility expires and going Hays's route?

This sorta seems like a bit of a loop hole to me, one which would surely be closed at some point maybe during the next cba agreement.

if your a slick 18 year old and your drafted by a consistently bottom feeder type of team it would make sense to play 4 years of college, get degree and than have your pick as to where you go... on top of that the larger market teams like the MSG boys have no problem paying those types of bonuses.

Captain Clutch
08-21-2014, 04:08 PM
how much does a first round pick have the potential to earn on his deal versus getting drafted, waiting till the eligibility expires and going Hays's route?

This sorta seems like a bit of a loop hole to me, one which would surely be closed at some point maybe during the next cba agreement.

if your a slick 18 year old and your drafted by a consistently bottom feeder type of team it would make sense to play 4 years of college, get degree and than have your pick as to where you go... on top of that the larger market teams like the MSG boys have no problem paying those types of bonuses.

Which is what Wheeler did to the Coyotes. Hayes left a great team because he wanted playing time and, I;m sure, the bonuses the Hawks weren't willing to give to him. But yeah, It's only happened twice now.

Pete
08-21-2014, 04:10 PM
It happened with Tim Erixon, too. Only difference that Calgary was smart enough to trade him before the deadline.

Slobberknocker
08-21-2014, 04:47 PM
what is the difference in cash though? is there a rookie salary cap in the nhl?

Captain Clutch
08-21-2014, 04:48 PM
It happened with Tim Erixon, too. Only difference that Calgary was smart enough to trade him before the deadline.

Erixon was playing in Sweden, though. But I guess the same principle applies.

Phil in Absentia
08-21-2014, 04:51 PM
what is the difference in cash though? is there a rookie salary cap in the nhl?

What's the difference in cash between what? He has a $900,000 base salary. His total cap hit can be as high as $3.75M, but being a rookie on an entry-level deal that is bonus-laden, all the bonus-money (a maximum of $2.85M) could be rolled over into the Rangers' salary cap for next season.

In essence, in not knowing what his actual triggers are for his bonuses (games played, specific goal/point totals, etc), the best way to go about dealing with his contract cap-wise is to just assume a $900K AAV and allow all the other dollars to roll into next season when we will actually know what bonuses (if any) are triggered, and why.

Ranger Lothbrok
08-21-2014, 04:52 PM
Alright, I was all pumped about this signing when I saw the news...until I came on here and read this thread. I'm guessing he gets a year in Hartford first? And what are we looking at? Talented 3rd liner?

Pete
08-21-2014, 04:57 PM
Alright, I was all pumped about this signing when I saw the news...until I came on here and read this thread. I'm guessing he gets a year in Hartford first? And what are we looking at? Talented 3rd liner?

We have no idea. His physical tools will probably allow him to always be a useful NHLer. No one really knows his upside.

Captain Clutch
08-21-2014, 05:14 PM
I woudl take a good 2nd liner, this team is full of good 3rd line wingers.

Puck Head
08-21-2014, 05:22 PM
I woudl take a good 2nd liner, this team is full of good 3rd line wingers.

With Kreider, Nash, Zuccarello, St. Louis, I think we have 4 very solid top 6 winters.
You could even possibly add Hagelin to the mix, (borderline top 6 winger).

Phil in Absentia
08-21-2014, 05:26 PM

Sure, he could need a year in the AHL, or a short stint. Or maybe he makes the team right out of camp? Tough to say. Very wait-and-see at the moment.

Ultimately, the pedigree and success are there. His frame and his history are all positives that should translate well to the NHL level. The concern is over how long it might take him to acclimate from NCAA to NHL, not really so much "if" he'll get there. Barring a substantial collapse, his frame and tools alone are pretty close to assurances of his at least being a serviceable NHL player (3rd line). He has top-6 upside, based on everything I've read and seen.

I wouldn't get too excited, but I also wouldn't get too down on this either. It's way too early to make a declaration.

TheDozen
08-21-2014, 05:31 PM
I was refreshing Twitter way too often before the good news broke. Must be August..

cousin
08-21-2014, 08:34 PM
One thing I like is that this kid turned down the hawks because he felt he might not make the team this year. He wants to play now and he was pretty bold to walk away from them to get a chance with us. I'm not saying he's a lock but I bet he makes team. I'm pretty happy AV is the coach with this kid coming in and not torts.
Not because he will let him play if he's not ready. he won't. After all, AV sent Kreider down last year. I just didn't like torts with the new kids. Just me.
I say he stays up. Good vibes.

The Dude
08-21-2014, 08:36 PM
Dude looks like a brick shithouse. Hes got that big meathead kinda head.

Hoping this guy turns into something good. This team could certainly use another real good forward prospect to be in the mix.

Liking how many possibilities there are in regards to competition. Between this Hayes kid and Haggerty just being thrown into the system, is a needed boost for depth in the prospect cupboard. .

The Dude
08-21-2014, 08:38 PM
Maybe i missed it, but what was this kids serious injury?

Pete
08-21-2014, 08:52 PM
One thing I like is that this kid turned down the hawks because he felt he might not make the team this year. He wants to play now and he was pretty bold to walk away from them to get a chance with us. I'm not saying he's a lock but I bet he makes team. I'm pretty happy AV is the coach with this kid coming in and not torts.
Not because he will let him play if he's not ready. he won't. After all, AV sent Kreider down last year. I just didn't like torts with the new kids. Just me.
I say he stays up. Good vibes.

Tortorella was far more interested in teaching and developing youth than AV is. AV really doesn't even talk much to rookies. The assistants deal with them.

momentum
08-21-2014, 11:10 PM
IM very excited about this signing, the more i read about him the better i like him.

leetchy2
08-21-2014, 11:42 PM
Hayes reminds me of a Kevin Stevens in several ways (size, skating, Boston College grad, collegiate scoring). Would be nice if his pro career blossoms the same way.

Future
08-22-2014, 09:28 AM
Hayes reminds me of a Kevin Stevens in several ways (size, skating, Boston College grad, collegiate scoring). Would be nice if his pro career blossoms the same way.
That's a pretty good comparison.

Being as I was only like 3 at the time, I couldn't remember really how productive Stevens was. Totally forgot the fact that he had over 110 points twice.

Slobberknocker
08-22-2014, 10:11 AM
Tortorella was far more interested in teaching and developing youth than AV is. AV really doesn't even talk much to rookies. The assistants deal with them.

im on this board way too much. i knew what pete's response was going to be after i read that post on teaching. 3 posts down.... bingo. I also agree with this. Torts definately stressed defensive reliability as a means to getting ice time. sorta like the young bull / old bull joke about walking / running down the hill to make time with the bull/bulls.

Gorilla Salad
08-22-2014, 07:21 PM

Oh come on, how can you even quantify that as fact? Jeez.

Respecttheblue
08-22-2014, 07:57 PM
http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/6525/hayes-new-york-will-be-a-great-opportunity-for-me#.U_X0zflHCxU

Big Game with one last assist.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/sad/smiley-face-crying.gif

Ah well, can't have 'em all. Loved Boyle's contribution to the spirit of this team.

But if NYR can increase out scoring output, the team could use it. If and when Hayes is eventually ready.

Another plus Hayes is large. If he doesn't mind using his size, that's something else the team needs. Seems like a good kid. Sometimes you just gotta give up some of that expensive character and track record as you add younger up and coming players. Gotta say, this feels like it makes up a bit for some of the good guys we lost (BB, BR and BP) even if he is not yet a lock on the team.

Pete
08-22-2014, 08:25 PM
Oh come on, how can you even quantify that as fact? Jeez.

Because I have an in. ;)

Captain Clutch
08-22-2014, 10:46 PM
So how tall is he really? I've seen 6'2, 6'3, 6'5

Slobberknocker
08-23-2014, 07:39 AM
So how tall is he really? I've seen 6'2, 6'3, 6'5

yup. and a weight of anywhere between 210 - 225 lbs.

editing:

rangers web site stated:

The 6-foot-5, 225-pound forward last season was a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award given to the top collegiate player following his 27 goals and 65 points in 40 games for the Eagles.

they also added him immediately to the traverse city tourney.

the kid also has a pretty lively twitter account.

now i feel creepy so i'll stop.

skunkman
08-23-2014, 02:42 PM
:bravery:

I just noticed how creepy Slobberknocker is!

EdMc28
08-25-2014, 02:52 PM
yup. and a weight of anywhere between 210 - 225 lbs.

editing:

rangers web site stated:

The 6-foot-5, 225-pound forward last season was a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award given to the top collegiate player following his 27 goals and 65 points in 40 games for the Eagles.

they also added him immediately to the traverse city tourney.

the kid also has a pretty lively twitter account.

now i feel creepy so i'll stop.

Hi Pierre.

cousin
08-27-2014, 01:16 PM
Firts look at Kevin Hayes as a Ranger

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwDkOVECIAEnQPv.jpg

momentum
08-27-2014, 03:08 PM
Firts look at Kevin Hayes as a Ranger

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwDkOVECIAEnQPv.jpg

He'll score 20 goals for us this year...

DrSutton
08-27-2014, 04:24 PM
Watched the Cerny video. He looks gigantic.

Shane Falco
08-27-2014, 04:27 PM

Hell to the yes!

Phil in Absentia
08-27-2014, 04:33 PM

Yup. Cerny is still a dork, as well. :D

Drew a Penalty
08-27-2014, 05:36 PM
He makes me never want to use the phrase "hanging out" ever again.

DrSutton
08-27-2014, 05:46 PM
Yup. Cerny is still a dork, as well. :D

Wouldn't be surprised if #20 yells "NERD" at him and then pushes him into a locker!

FleshistheFever
08-27-2014, 06:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqJR-4cqcgU
Put a smirk on my face.

Captain Clutch
08-27-2014, 06:58 PM
Some salty Blackhawks fan out there

TwoMinutesForNothing
09-09-2014, 11:16 PM
http://rangersunlimited.com/2014/09/09/hayes-sole-ranger-among-nhl-coms-top-60-prospects/

NHL.com released a list of its Top 60 prospects, built from the composite of the lists of three staff members and three NHL scouts. A Ranger less than a month, Kevin Hayes was the only member of the organization who made the cut.

Hayes was ranked 49th. Brady Skjei, Pavel Buchnevich and Anthony Duclair (in that order) were all represented on at least one participant’s list, though none were close to making the consensus top 60.