PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed: Rangers Sign [F] Matthew Lombardi to 2-Year/$1.6M Contract; $800K AAV

EdMc28
07-15-2014, 11:44 PM
:tweet: @NYRangers: OFFICIAL: #NYR have agreed to terms with free agent forward Matthew Lombardi.

--

Matthew Lombardi has served his time in Switzerland and is heading back to the big show.

The 32-year-old centre has agreed to a two-year, $1.6-million contract with the New York Rangers, according to multiple reports.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/reports-matthew-lombardi-switzerland-signs-new-york-rangers/

CreaseCrusader91
07-15-2014, 11:51 PM
:tweet:@RothmanHockey:
Odds are, though, that Lombardi is an AHL pickup. Another body for what was a poorly-constructed Wolf Pack team last year.

torontonyr
Low risk, medium reward.

Low risk, very very little reward. Simply put, he's terrible.

torontonyr
:tweet:@RothmanHockey:
Odds are, though, that Lombardi is an AHL pickup. Another body for what was a poorly-constructed Wolf Pack team last year.

That makes more sense.

TwoMinutesForNothing
07-16-2014, 02:34 AM
I like him. I think he's our final center. He could play the 3rd line or 4th line center, or even play Boyle's role. He's a very effective player who had a few rough years with injuries.

Assets
Owns excellent penalty-killing skills. Makes his linemates better around him because of deft setup ability and great speed. Is an accomplished face-off man.

Flaws
Not very big, he needs to gain more strength. Will also need to continue upgrading his level of consistency in order to elevate his game even more in the NHL.

Career Potential
Speedy two-way center.

RangersFan
07-16-2014, 02:53 AM
Could have just signed Rebeiro for a mil

TwoMinutesForNothing
07-16-2014, 03:11 AM
If he's still got the wheels he'll make Hagelin look slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v32nT1ePBU

And there's this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3aP51EHaRo

Respecttheblue
07-16-2014, 07:46 AM
I like him. I think he's our final center. He could play the 3rd line or 4th line center, or even play Boyle's role. He's a very effective player who had a few rough years with injuries.

Yes, looks like he'll fit right in with the team speed ethos, on whichever of those lines he might be needed — or as depth if he's not. In other words if Dom Moore falls off a cliff, we're covered, if JT Miller can't hack it on the third line as a center, we'
Could be interesting. Upside signing if he still has that speed.
Wonder what this means for JT Miller?

Lombardi returned to Phoenix from an upper body injury in March 15, 2013, and was traded to Anaheim a few weeks later on April 4.

His last season (09) with more than 1,200 minutes he scored 53 points. For reference, Dom Moore played about 850 minutes last reg. season. I'm not looking for a Dom Moore resurgence, but Rangers are sometimes good at spotting when player is ready to rebound. Best case scenario: if Lombardi is healthy and has his shit together, and pulls full 3rd line minutes, he might surprise considerably on the upside, especially since his offensive style seems to fit this club, that's all.

josh
07-16-2014, 08:24 AM
I know, right. Haha

And I cant believe am actually thinking about Mueller.

Side question: did AV like Higgins? There's this former AJT that would be a similar type of player, but faster. An older Hagelin type of guy
Imagine that.

Led his league in points last season.

Slobberknocker
07-16-2014, 08:25 AM
you can't coach speed. Hit the weights Matty.

Pete
07-16-2014, 08:50 AM
I've liked Lombardi for awhile. But the injuries have really ruined him and robbed him of a lot.

Morphinity
07-16-2014, 09:18 AM
Nice, another Italian.

Phil in Absentia
07-16-2014, 09:26 AM
J.T. Miller insurnace right here. The injuries, as has been stated, have robbed him of his career, for the most part, but you can't teach speed, and this guy is probably one of the top-10 fastest skaters in the NHL.

BlairBettsBlocksEverything
07-16-2014, 09:27 AM
Can't complain about this. Good depth, could be a 4th liner that steps into a bigger role if need be. He's one of those guys that I've known about forever but haven't seen a ton of him. He seems to always find a job somewhere. Hope he stays healthy.

and +1 to Phil's point, definitely Miller insurance

Phil in Absentia
07-16-2014, 09:35 AM
On a related note, Lombardi might be the first AJT signing in a long time, eh Josh?

ThirtyONE
07-16-2014, 10:44 AM
I actually really like this signing. A two year deal is nice. Gives us a chance to see what we've got and if he's worth anything that's very very cheap. If he's not we can either move him or put him in the AHL.

Cash or Czech?
07-16-2014, 11:20 AM
Lets keep our expectations anchored. He's 32, dealt with a plethora of injuries and coming back to the NHL from Switzerland. If he even makes the NHL squad, it's nice. I don't expect him to right off the bat, let alone contribute. Would love to eat my words on it, too.

Pete
07-16-2014, 11:23 AM
Lets keep our expectations anchored. He's 32, dealt with a plethora of injuries and coming back to the NHL from Switzerland. If he even makes the NHL squad, it's nice. I don't expect him to right off the bat, let alone contribute. Would love to eat my words on it, too.Doesn't sound like there are any expectations to anchor.

Low risk, very very little reward. Simply put, he's terrible.

J.T. Miller insurnace right here. The injuries, as has been stated, have robbed him of his career, for the most part, but you can't teach speed, and this guy is probably one of the top-10 fastest skaters in the NHL.

Can't complain about this. Good depth, could be a 4th liner that steps into a bigger role if need be. He's one of those guys that I've known about forever but haven't seen a ton of him. He seems to always find a job somewhere. Hope he stays healthy.

and +1 to Phil's point, definitely Miller insurance

I actually really like this signing. A two year deal is nice. Gives us a chance to see what we've got and if he's worth anything that's very very cheap. If he's not we can either move him or put him in the AHL.

Cash or Czech?
07-16-2014, 11:27 AM
Doesn't sound like there are any expectations to anchor.

I'm talking specifically about having anything higher than 4th line/13th forward/AHL hopes. Also, only talking about one or two posts, obviously not everyone.

Quit taking it so personally :D

Pete
07-16-2014, 11:28 AM
I'm talking specifically about having anything higher than 4th line/13th forward/AHL hopes.

Well if he's really insurance for Miller, that's in the realm of reason, since Dom Moore is solidified as the 4th line center.

I don't really consider that an expectation. I think most feel he's a 13th forward.

Cash or Czech?
07-16-2014, 11:30 AM
I think he's our new Newbury, but you know it's the offseason when we're arguing if Lombardi will be an AHL/NHL player :palm:

Future
07-16-2014, 12:07 PM
Can he play the wing? Might be a decent fit with Dom Moore and Glass to give that line a little bit more offensive chutzpah.

Phil in Absentia
07-16-2014, 12:09 PM
No idea if he can play wing or not, but I know Moore can, and I actually think he's making the team (over Miller) out of Camp.

momentum
07-16-2014, 12:16 PM
Solid signing, I think definitely this is a guy they signed with the expectations for him to play on the Rangers but with a contract low enough that it's not problem to have him in Hartford if he shouldn't work out or there isn't room for him. This guy though if he can remain healthy his speed alone makes him somewhat of a threat and fits in perfectly in AV's system.
It's an insurance signing both way, if JT stinks it up this guy can perhaps take a spot, If Lombardi is horrible we have JT as insurance for that. Nice situation with some competition for that spot where they can push each other and doesn't give it to someone from default.
Really a no risk signing,

Phil in Absentia
07-16-2014, 05:09 PM
:tweet: @JimCerny: Just off the phone with newest #NYR Matthew Lombardi who is "pumped" about opportunity to return to NHL and "play home games at MSG!"

:tweet: @NYRangers: "This is awesome..an amazing opportunity..it's pretty cool to say the least"-new #NYR forward Matthew Lombardi http://t.co/2wuTNv509z

:tweet: @NYRangers: "We've been looking for depth at the center position and Matthew (Lombardi) is always a guy we've kept an eye on"-#NYR asst GM Jeff Gorton

ThirtyONE
07-16-2014, 05:19 PM
At the very least, this puts pressure on JT Miller. No longer is he "penciled in" for next season's lineup. Now he has to prove he's better than Lombardi who's not a bad player and I could see being a nice replacement for Richards on that 3rd line as the season rolls along.

Phil in Absentia
07-16-2014, 05:23 PM
I'm not so sure it means it's one or the other. I have a feeling both make the roster (at the very least Lombardi). I'm curious to see if Lombardi can play wing or not, because if so, it likely means Miller will be competing for a spot at LW. Maybe they go that route regarding Pouliot's exit. Replace Richards with Lombardi and Pouliot with Miller.

ThirtyONE
07-16-2014, 05:27 PM
I'm not so sure it means it's one or the other. I have a feeling both make the roster (at the very least Lombardi). I'm curious to see if Lombardi can play wing or not, because if so, it likely means Miller will be competing for a spot at LW. Maybe they go that route regarding Pouliot's exit. Replace Richards with Lombardi and Pouliot with Miller.

Either way. No matter how they do it. This is the first forward we signed this July that has a chance to actually play for the Rangers (not including Glass).

TwoMinutesForNothing
07-16-2014, 05:27 PM

That's the way I see it. I know people around here love to point out that they like Miller better as a center, but if the team still has a problem with his defensive play, which is what has consistently gotten him benched and sent down, then they will likely prefer him on the wing with less responsibility.

Pete
07-16-2014, 05:30 PM
It's not a matter of liking him as a center. He's a center. He's a center in the AHL, he produces when he's at center.

When he comes up to the NHL, he's at wing. So any perceived defensive deficiencies (I'd argue the problem is turnover, not coverage) are at the wing position, and probably because he doesn't play wing in Hartford.

TwoMinutesForNothing
07-16-2014, 05:41 PM
He was playing a good amount of wing in Hartford in the 2nd half, being centered by Bourque and Lindberg.

Pete
07-16-2014, 05:42 PM
He was playing a good amount of wing in Hartford in the 2nd half, being centered by Bourque and Lindberg.

Were his numbers as good at wing? Because if he's not getting it, then we'd need to find out sooner than later.

TwoMinutesForNothing
07-16-2014, 05:51 PM
Were his numbers as good at wing? Because if he's not getting it, then we'd need to find out sooner than later.

When he was playing on line with Bourque and Fast it was the best hockey I'd ever seen him play. The whole line was dominant. He was putting up multi-point games like it was nothing and was finally making plays for his teammates rather than holding the puck too long like he used to. Shortly after he earned a call-up but it didn't really translate. Can't remember why really.

Pete
07-16-2014, 05:56 PM
When he was playing on line with Bourque and Fast it was the best hockey I'd ever seen him play. The whole line was dominant. He was putting up multi-point games like it was nothing and was finally making plays for his teammates rather than holding the puck too long like he used to. Shortly after he earned a call-up but it didn't really translate. Can't remember why really.

That was at wing? Thought Bourque was a wing.

TwoMinutesForNothing
07-16-2014, 05:59 PM
That was at wing? Thought Bourque was a wing.

He can play both but I'm pretty sure he was taking draws for that line and Miller was on the top PP with Lindberg playing center, Bourque on the other wing and Fast playing the point.

Pete
07-16-2014, 06:05 PM
He can play both but I'm pretty sure he was taking draws for that line and Miller was on the top PP with Lindberg playing center, Bourque on the other wing and Fast playing the point.

Got it. Thanks.

RangersFan
07-16-2014, 06:27 PM
Hopefully he can come back and stay healthy. If he stays healthy, he can be a great 3rd line center

The Dude
07-16-2014, 09:16 PM
Not bad. He can play wing and center. Good scrap heap pick up. Hes either 3rd line center, 3rd line wing, 4th line center or fourth line wing. AV had shown in the playoffs that he has no problem giving Dominic Moore more minutes in a semi offensive role.

As for Miller. I agree with Pete. Hes a center and has played his best NHL hockey as a center.

I also think if he doesn't clearly win the job as a center, he is going to be shopped big time.

Respecttheblue
07-16-2014, 09:34 PM

ummm he's 32 ... sure you can get bigger/stronger at that age, but he's no rookie; what u see is pretty much what u get in that dept, here

Not bad. He can play wing and center. Good scrap heap pick up. Hes either 3rd line center, 3rd line wing, 4th line center or fourth line wing. AV had shown in the playoffs that he has no problem giving Dominic Moore more minutes in a semi offensive role.

As for Miller. I agree with Pete. Hes a center and has played his best NHL hockey as a center.

I also think if he doesn't clearly win the job as a center, he is going to be shopped big time.

At $1.6 million over 2 years I think you're looking at your 3rd line center/ 4th line insurance/platoon. And where Mueller fits in who knows. It's a wild and wonderful scrap heap: sometimes it works sometimes it fail. The more I think about it, the more I think the writing is on the wall for Miller. (And I'm not exactly happy about that if it's impatience, I've liked some of his grit and play; think the scoring will come, but the clock is ticking.)

Maybe NYR smells another chance and wants people who've been around the block a bit.

I think these signings are a lot better than the bottom of the batting order waste of money Slats sometimes squanders with folk like Fritsche and Rissmiller .

Glass, Lombardi, Mueller — I have no idea what we could get for $2.8 million? — but one thing's for sure, there's plenty of upside surprise potential with Lombardi and Mueller, and Glass sounds hungry and ready to go to work.

Kevin
07-16-2014, 11:10 PM
I'm not sure why this signing is exciting anybody. His last full NHL season was four years ago and that year he had 18 points in 62 games with the Maple Leafs. The point production isn't really all that much of a concern to me. What bothers me is that he was a -19 in those 62 games. I know +/- doesn't always give an accurate depiction of a player's performance but that was the worst on that team. I see this as a depth fill for the Wolf Pack and nothing more.

Pete
07-16-2014, 11:20 PM
People are looking on it positively because it's low risk/high reward. I'm not sure why that's a problem?

Kevin
07-17-2014, 01:49 AM
Maybe I just don't see the high reward part of it. I just said I don't get the excitement over this. Four years ago I would have been intrigued. This signing will be inconsequential for the upcoming season, imo.

RangersFan
07-17-2014, 02:00 AM
Maybe I just don't see the high reward part of it. I just said I don't get the excitement over this. Four years ago I would have been intrigued. This signing will be inconsequential for the upcoming season, imo.

I think there is a big possibility that he sticks with the team and starts

momentum
07-17-2014, 06:08 AM

First of all I don't see anyone really excited about it, I see some people pointing out that they think it was a decent signing because it's fine whether he plays for the Rangers (high reward) or the Wolfpack (low reward). There's really no way this signing can go bad at the 800k a year amount we're paying him (unless he gets Hank hooked on crack or some other unforeseen freak circumstance), and ppl simply approved of the signing and pointed that out.
Also it's summertime and ppl miss hockey and the Rangers just signed a player, so there is some interest regardless of the player's pedigree.

fletch
07-17-2014, 07:26 AM
Stars and scrubs? Has Slats been playing fantasy hockey?

I'm all for speed, so I hope Lombardi still has some good hockey left in him.

Slobberknocker
07-17-2014, 09:09 AM
[QUOTE=Respecttheblue;690412]ummm he's 32 ... sure you can get bigger/stronger at that age, but he's no rookie; what u see is pretty much what u get in that dept, here

you can always hit the weights as a way to avoid injury. that's what i was inferring to based on the article that pointed out his injuries. Don't see why i got called out on that.

Pete
07-17-2014, 09:16 AM
First of all I don't see anyone really excited about it, I see some people pointing out that they think it was a decent signing because it's fine whether he plays for the Rangers (high reward) or the Wolfpack (low reward). There's really no way this signing can go bad at the 800k a year amount we're paying him (unless he gets Hank hooked on crack or some other unforeseen freak circumstance), and ppl simply approved of the signing and pointed that out.
Also it's summertime and ppl miss hockey and the Rangers just signed a player, so there is some interest regardless of the player's pedigree.

:thankyou::repped:

Phil in Absentia
07-17-2014, 12:41 PM
"The plan was to go back--I had signed an extension there, and my family was really happy there--and even though I had the out in my contract I didn't think anything was going to happen (in the NHL) so I wasn't thinking about that too much," explained Lombardi in an exclusive conversation with BlueshirtsUnited.com Tuesday afternoon.

"With New York, it just kind of fell into my lap and I just felt like it was an opportunity I couldn't let go...I felt like it was a once in a lifetime chance, especially at my age, and it was a pretty cool opportunity to play for this team with all of the success they have had. I just thought it was good for me."

With the Rangers seeking depth at the forward position, the versatile Lombardi seems to be a good fit. He can play center or on the wing, is responsible defensively and is a good penalty killer. Lombardi has played in Top Six roles as well as in checking roles and on the fourth line during his nine-year National Hockey League career.

http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/6443/crazy-24-hours-leads-lombardi-back-to-nhl-with-the-rangers#.U8f8Tag6Edk

--

Barring some catastrophic showing in training camp and preseason, he's definitely making the team. You don't opt out of a multi-year agreement in Switzerland to "come back" to North America only to end up in the AHL. At least not in my world.

They've probably got him somewhere on the third or fourth line, depending on if he's going to play center or wing. He could probably play third-line center, but with Moore back, would end up fourth line wing if that's where he goes. Neither would be horrible options IMO.

AmericanJesus
07-17-2014, 12:59 PM
So maybe something like this shakes out:

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
MZA - Brassard - MSL
Hagelin - Miller - Fast
Glass - Moore - Lombardi

RangersFan
07-17-2014, 01:01 PM

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
MZA - Brassard - MSL
Hagelin - Miller - Fast
Glass - Moore - Lombardi

I doubt that we will put 2 rookies on the 3rd line, that kills our depth.

DiJock94
07-17-2014, 01:05 PM

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
MZA - Brassard - MSL
Hagelin - Miller - Fast
Glass - Moore - Lombardi

And two dwarfs on the second line. I see it more like this

Nash Stepan St. Louis
Kreider Brassard Zucc
Hagelin Lombardi Fast
Glass Moore Mueller

RangersFan
07-17-2014, 01:07 PM
Yeah, i dont think Zuccarello and St Louis should be on the same line. Way too small and Brassard at center makes it a soft line

AmericanJesus
07-17-2014, 01:07 PM
I doubt that we will put 2 rookies on the 3rd line, that kills our depth.

We likely don't have much of a choice as far as having 2 rookies in the lineup. Miller has 60 NHL games experience (56 regular season and 4 post season games) and Fast had a handful last season. Plus they played together successfully on a line in Hartford so there's some familiarity there. As far as killing our depth, our depth is what it is, regardless of where you slot rookies. One way or another we're replacing Richards and Pouliot with a couple of rookies. Forward depth takes a hit.

RichieNextel305
07-17-2014, 01:10 PM
I'd still like to see Booth signed cheap and go with:

Booth-Stepan-St. Louis
Kreider-Brassard-Zuccarello
Hagelin-Miller-Nash
Glass-Moore-Lombardi

DiJock94
07-17-2014, 01:13 PM
Could look like this too

Hagelin Stepan Nash
Kreider Brassard Zucc
Miller Lombardi St. Louis
Glass Moore Fast

RangersFan
07-17-2014, 01:13 PM
We likely don't have much of a choice as far as having 2 rookies in the lineup. Miller has 60 NHL games experience (56 regular season and 4 post season games) and Fast had a handful last season. Plus they played together successfully on a line in Hartford so there's some familiarity there. As far as killing our depth, our depth is what it is, regardless of where you slot rookies. One way or another we're replacing Richards and Pouliot with a couple of rookies. Forward depth takes a hit.
Sure we have a choice, especially if we have a mil or two in cap space left after the RFA.

Kreider-Stepan-St Louis
Hagelin-Brassard-Nash
Booth-Miller-Zuccarello
Glass-Moore-Lombardi

Of course we need to bring in Booth first.

Fast didnt do anything when he played in the NHL, giving him a spot on the 3rd line wouldnt be a good idea for a team that is trying to contend.

AmericanJesus
07-17-2014, 01:14 PM
And two dwarfs on the second line. I see it more like this

Nash Stepan St. Louis
Kreider Brassard Zucc
Hagelin Lombardi Fast
Glass Moore Mueller

I haven't liked Nash the few times we've shifted him to the left wing and that top line, regardless of the size of Nash would be softer than an MZA - Brassard - MSL line. Neither MZA or MSL get hit a lot, MZA does more hitting. The style of play with AV, size isn't as important as skill and speed. MZA and MSL together could open up a ton of ice. I doubt one of Miller, Lindberg or both don't get a very long look through camp and into the regular season. We need another young, cost controlled center to be developed at the NHL level. Mueller is 13th forward or AHL fodder, I would imagine.

RangersFan
07-17-2014, 01:15 PM
I haven't liked Nash the few times we've shifted him to the left wing and that top line, regardless of the size of Nash would be softer than an MZA - Brassard - MSL line. Neither MZA or MSL get hit a lot, MZA does more hitting. The style of play with AV, size isn't as important as skill and speed. MZA and MSL together could open up a ton of ice. I doubt one of Miller, Lindberg or both don't get a very long look through camp and into the regular season. We need another young, cost controlled center to be developed at the NHL level. Mueller is 13th forward or AHL fodder, I would imagine.

We need another vet for the 3rd line wing spot. Booth or Stempniak would be good

Pete
07-17-2014, 01:17 PM

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
MZA - Brassard - MSL
Hagelin - Miller - Fast
Glass - Moore - Lombardi

I'd flop MSL and Nash. That Brassard line is terribly small as you have it.

AmericanJesus
07-17-2014, 01:18 PM
Sure we have a choice, especially if we have a mil or two in cap space left after the RFA.

Kreider-Stepan-St Louis
Hagelin-Brassard-Nash
Booth-Miller-Zuccarello
Glass-Moore-Lombardi

Of course we need to bring in Booth first.

Fast didnt do anything when he played in the NHL, giving him a spot on the 3rd line wouldnt be a good idea for a team that is trying to contend.

Fast barely got a cup of coffee in the NHL. He played a handful of games at the beginning of the season when the entire team was horrible and then a handful at the end of the season where AV wasn't about to rely much on a rookie, although he looked fine in that limited role. And no one would be giving him a spot, he'd have to earn it out of camp.

As far as cap space left, we'll have to wait and see on that, but if you want to be a true cup contender, you better plan on having $1M in unused cap space to prorate up to like $4M in space by the trade deadline or you're going to be handcuffed.

DiJock94
07-17-2014, 01:18 PM

Ok forget the size then. That line still has zero net front presence. Just can't see that working. Also ok then move Lombardi over to wing miller at center fast down to fourth line.

AmericanJesus
07-17-2014, 01:20 PM
We need another vet for the 3rd line wing spot. Booth or Stempniak would be good

Unlikely to have the cash. I think we just signed our vet and, like we have the past handful of years, will be looking at last year's rookie (Miller) to take the next step and for a new rookie to take a first one (Fast, Kristo, Lindberg, etc). Have to keep bringing in youth and getting their feet wet in order to stay competitive in the NHL right now. Can't buy your way past that.

AmericanJesus
07-17-2014, 01:21 PM
I'd flop MSL and Nash. That Brassard line is terribly small as you have it.

That's fine. I don't see Nash playing any bigger than MSL though. I'm intrigued by the creativity and skill MZA and MSL might be able to exhibit. It'd be great to have a big, physical center between them, but we don't have that.

RangersFan
07-17-2014, 01:21 PM
Fast barely got a cup of coffee in the NHL. He played a handful of games at the beginning of the season when the entire team was horrible and then a handful at the end of the season where AV wasn't about to rely much on a rookie, although he looked fine in that limited role. And no one would be giving him a spot, he'd have to earn it out of camp.

As far as cap space left, we'll have to wait and see on that, but if you want to be a true cup contender, you better plan on having $1M in unused cap space to prorate up to like $4M in space by the trade deadline or you're going to be handcuffed.

When Fast played, he was invisible and he didnt do anything. I doubt he wins a spot at camp too.

And if you still want to be a contender by the time the deadline comes, you might have to spend that mil on a vet to get you through the season ;). We are handcuffed regardless, why not try to bring in a guy like Booth for a mil?

RangersFan
07-17-2014, 01:22 PM
Unlikely to have the cash. I think we just signed our vet and, like we have the past handful of years, will be looking at last year's rookie (Miller) to take the next step and for a new rookie to take a first one (Fast, Kristo, Lindberg, etc). Have to keep bringing in youth and getting their feet wet in order to stay competitive in the NHL right now. Can't buy your way past that.

Yeah you need to have youth but they also need to be ready for the NHL. Cant just throw Fast, Miller and Lindberg out there and expect them all to produce. Thats how you miss the playoffs.

Pete
07-17-2014, 01:22 PM
That's fine. I don't see Nash playing any bigger than MSL though. I'm intrigued by the creativity and skill MZA and MSL might be able to exhibit. It'd be great to have a big, physical center between them, but we don't have that.

MSL also seems to have said it's been a challenge not playing with a right handed player, so Steps give him that.

Pete
07-17-2014, 01:23 PM
Yeah you need to have youth but they also need to be ready for the NHL. Cant just throw Fast, Miller and Lindberg out there and expect them all to produce. Thats how you miss the playoffs.

This team is probably going to struggle to make the playoffs, anyway.

RangersFan
07-17-2014, 01:24 PM

Thats not the point. Nash is still 6'4 215-220, he is a big body out there regardless if he uses it or not. I would put Nash on a line with Zucc before i put St Louis on a line with Zucc

RangersFan

I doubt it but ok

AmericanJesus
When Fast played, he was invisible and he didnt do anything. I doubt he wins a spot at camp too.

And if you still want to be a contender by the time the deadline comes, you might have to spend that mil on a vet to get you through the season ;). We are handcuffed regardless, why not try to bring in a guy like Booth for a mil?

Fast wasn't invisible, he played his role fine. It was just a limited role because of where we were in the playoff hunt and then in the playoffs. He didn't WOW, but that's not the same as being invisible. Not every player on your team has a wow factor. If you expect that, prepare for disappointment.

RangersFan
07-17-2014, 01:25 PM
Fast wasn't invisible, he played his role fine. It was just a limited role because of where we were in the playoff hunt and then in the playoffs. He didn't WOW, but that's not the same as being invisible. Not every player on your team has a wow factor. If you expect that, prepare for disappointment.

I barely noticed him out there in the limited role he had. I would put him in the AHL and call him up in case of an injury

ThirtyONE
07-17-2014, 01:26 PM

I agree that we're a worse team as currently constructed but I don't think they'll struggle per se. They won't win the division, that's for sure.

ThirtyONE
07-17-2014, 01:28 PM
I barely noticed him out there in the limited role he had. I would put him in the AHL and call him up in case of an injury

I agree. The only thing I noticed about him was how small he was. He need to bulk up a bit, especially if he's supposed to be a 3rd line player. I am just not excited about him at all at this point.

Pete
07-17-2014, 01:29 PM
I agree that we're a worse team as currently constructed but I don't think they'll struggle per say. They won't win the division, that's for sure.

I think with the teams in that have gotten better, combined with us not being as strong as last year, mean we'll be a bubble team.

I don't think people really "get" what it means to lose a top 6 winger and top 4 defenseman, just because the names "Pouliot" and "Stralman" aren't the sexy ones.

josh
07-17-2014, 01:30 PM
I agree that we're a worse team as currently constructed but I don't think they'll struggle per se. They won't win the division, that's for sure.

Worse than this????

Starting Lineup:^

Brad Richards "A" / Derick Brassard / Ryan Callahan "C"
Chris Kreider / Derek Stepan / Rick Nash
Carl Hagelin / Dominic Moore / Mats Zuccarello
Benoit Pouliot / Brian Boyle / Derek Dorsett

Ryan McDonagh / Dan Girardi
Marc Staal "A" / Anton Strålman
Michael Del Zotto / Justin Falk

AmericanJesus
07-17-2014, 01:31 PM

Except that's not how this works. Young guys don't just get put in places, they go through training camp trying to earn spots. If he earns a spot, he'll get one. As far as you barely noticing him, I don't know what to tell you. In his post season games, they were commenting often about how he was finishing his checks and showed some poise with the puck. He's got some game, he'll have a chance to prove he deserves a longer look now that there are spots open on the roster. Those spots were only open last season due to injury and we were relatively injury free.

Phil in Absentia
07-17-2014, 01:31 PM
Guys, this thread is about Lombardi, not necessarily what line combos you want to see for the team come opening night. There's a new thread open on that here (http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?14278-What-Line-Combos-Do-You-Want-to-See-Opening-Night&p=690524#post690524).

If you want to talk about where you think Lombardi himself fits in, that's fine, but anyone just looking to line-by-line list what they want to see should take those posts to the new thread.

Thanks.

RangersFan
07-17-2014, 01:34 PM
I think with the teams in that have gotten better, combined with us not being as strong as last year, mean we'll be a bubble team.

I dont think teams in our conference got that much better actually. Who really got better when you think about it? Tampa Bay? They have some question marks too. Pittsburgh is unknown, Boston is Boston but they lost Iginla and Chara is a year older. Montreal is the same. Philly is basically the same. Buffalo, Florida and Ottawa are still bad. Washington didnt do much, Carolina neither. Islanders might be a little tougher. Devils suck. Toronto didnt do much.

Lots of teams didnt improve

RangersFan
07-17-2014, 01:36 PM
Except that's not how this works. Young guys don't just get put in places, they go through training camp trying to earn spots. If he earns a spot, he'll get one. As far as you barely noticing him, I don't know what to tell you. In his post season games, they were commenting often about how he was finishing his checks and showed some poise with the puck. He's got some game, he'll have a chance to prove he deserves a longer look now that there are spots open on the roster. Those spots were only open last season due to injury and we were relatively injury free.
Ok. If Fast makes the team along with Miller and they both play on the 3rd line, we might be in trouble

ThirtyONE
07-17-2014, 01:39 PM

I don't think people really "get" what it means to lose a top 6 winger and top 4 defenseman, just because the names "Pouliot" and "Stralman" aren't the sexy ones.

I actually think the dismantling of our 4th line will hurt us more than anything. We've gone from 4 solid lines to two line and two question marks. It remains to be seen how those pan out.

Bringing it full circle though, I think the addition of Lombardi helps sure things up a little bit. Hopefully he can stay healthy and fill in nicely somewhere on that 3rd line.

DiJock94
07-17-2014, 01:40 PM
Ok. If Fast makes the team along with Miller and they both play on the 3rd line, we might be in trouble

I disagree with this. Fast has shown great defensive positioning and a decent forecheck. Besides apparently Lindberg miller and fast dominated when they played together as far as I've heard.

ThirtyONE
07-17-2014, 01:41 PM
Worse than this????

Yes. This roster is worse than our starting roster last season, but that's not the point. Why are we comparing starting rosters?

josh
07-17-2014, 01:51 PM
Yes. This roster is worse than our starting roster last season, but that's not the point. Why are we comparing starting rosters?
That wasn't a starting roster. That was mid-season... after the Rangers got their shit together.

Fact is, you dont end the season with the same roster. To claim this team, on paper, is worse, or not a playoff contender is...

typical, encouraged and championed. Proceed.
:rolleyes:

RangersFan
07-17-2014, 01:53 PM
That wasn't a starting roster. That was mid-season... after the Rangers got their shit together.

Fact is, you dont end the season with the same roster. To claim this team, on paper, is worse, or not a playoff contender is...

How is this roster NOT worse than last seasons?

Pete
07-17-2014, 01:55 PM

Actually, claiming this roster is worse on paper is not only a fact — This roster is worse on paper — but it's what usually gets talked about in July. If the conversation makes you roll eyes, or doesn't interest you, or is "typical", then simply don't participate in it.

josh
07-17-2014, 02:18 PM
How is this roster NOT worse than last seasons?

We don't have any overachievers from last season that will have a drop in production. (Maybe Zuccarello? but will it be a drastic drop?)
We added St. Louis, who had 3 points in the RS
Nash will rebound, as will the PP
Boyle will outproduce Stralmans numbers by mid November
Remember Henrik at the start of last season? Or Girardi?
Stepan, Hagelin, Kreider, Brassard, McDonagh, both Moores will improve their play.
We have a few prospects, recently signed, and AHLers that might come up and make a contribution.

Honestly... what did we lose?

Phil in Absentia
07-17-2014, 02:27 PM
I don't really care if we are or aren't "worse on paper". "On paper" is why the games are played. Last years' team, on paper, wasn't a Stanley Cup Final team either. But guess what? They were in the Final regardless, because they played the games and won their way to it.

Paper is great for a few things — accurately predicting the course of a season not being among them.

Lt. Dan
07-17-2014, 02:30 PM
I don't really care if we are or aren't "worse on paper". "On paper" is why the games are played. Last years' team, on paper, wasn't a Stanley Cup Final team either. But guess what? They were in the Final regardless, because they played the games and won their way to it.

Paper is great for a few things — accurately predicting the course of a season not being among them.

:thumbs:

Pete
07-17-2014, 02:32 PM

So shut the forum down until camp opens. What do you want me to tell you? This is what gets discussed every July. And every July someone complains about the discussion.

So what's the solution? What else can we talk about that isn't already being discussed?

josh
07-17-2014, 02:33 PM
So shut the forum down until camp opens. What do you want me to tell you? This is what gets discussed every July. And every July someone complains about the discussion.

So what's the solution? What else can we talk about that isn't already being discussed?

Usually, you say "Instead of just saying we are worse on paper, make suggestions on how we can improve the roster."
Fact.

Phil in Absentia
07-17-2014, 02:34 PM

I'm not telling you not to talk about it. I'm telling you what I think about "on paper" in general. I just don't care. I'm sure others do. I'm not preventing any of you from discussing it —*just sharing my own personal input on the matter.

The biggest reason I don't care for "on paper", for the record, is because rarely is a team in October the same team in June. Too much can happen by means of trades, free agent signings, waivers, call-ups, send-downs and injuries for me to crown anyone a champion or a playoff team/contender in October, much less July or August.

But that's me. Again, I have no issue with anyone discussing it.

Hell, it might even make for a decent thread once Brassard, Zucc, JM and Kreider are all re-signed and under contract.

Pete
07-17-2014, 02:38 PM
Usually, you say "Instead of just saying we are worse on paper, make suggestions on how we can improve the roster."
Fact.

And eventually, it might have come around to that, if people weren't derailing the thread with "Why are we talking about on paper?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??"

Wait, this is a Lombardi thread? Shit.

Pete
07-17-2014, 02:40 PM
I'm not telling you not to talk about it. I'm telling you what I think about "on paper" in general. I just don't care. I'm sure others do. I'm not preventing any of you from discussing it —*just sharing my own personal input on the matter.

The biggest reason I don't care for "on paper", for the record, is because rarely is a team in October the same team in June. Too much can happen by means of trades, free agent signings, waivers, call-ups, send-downs and injuries for me to crown anyone a champion or a playoff team/contender in October, much less July or August.

But that's me. Again, I have no issue with anyone discussing it.

Hell, it might even make for a decent thread once Brassard, Zucc, JM and Kreider are all re-signed and under contract.Yet there's no reason to assume that anyone who comments that the team, right now, ON PAPER (since that's all we have, since games aren't actually being played) doesn't understand that.

But until camp opens or until a player move is made, again, there is nothing else to talk about.

Slobberknocker
07-18-2014, 12:22 PM
pete is right in regards to strals and poul's.

strals was a rock for us and the poul's line had a ton of chemistry.

no way to predict how we replace that yet.

sather's trying to duplicate the zucc signing hoping to catch some lightning in a bottle with this kid.

we will see how it plays out.

RangersFan
07-18-2014, 05:58 PM
pete is right in regards to strals and poul's.

strals was a rock for us and the poul's line had a ton of chemistry.

no way to predict how we replace that yet.

sather's trying to duplicate the zucc signing hoping to catch some lightning in a bottle with this kid.

we will see how it plays out.

He isnt replicating anything. Lombardi is in his 30s and played in the NHL before.