PDA

View Full Version : Duclair's Shot At The Roster

ThirtyONE
07-10-2014, 12:47 PM
Names like Fast, Lindberg, Bourque, and Kristo have been thrown around for next season's roster. Miller has already been penciled in at center by most people. But the name that's most exciting to me is Anthony Duclair. He was a beast in the juniors, he's fast, offensively gifted -- Craig Button recently called him an "absolute steal" and "1st rounder."

To me someone with upside like that excites the hell out of me. Not someone who's a projected 4th liner. I know there's a place for 4th liners but what about giving this kid a real shot in camp?

Thoughts?

Phil in Absentia
07-10-2014, 12:58 PM
From what I understand, the organization feels another year in Junior won't hurt him any, and will probably be best for his overall development. He had a great year, but also dealt with a nasty concussion, and is 18 years old. Excited as I am by the prospect of him joining the team, the ideal road for him is the same as it was for most young NHL'ers on the team today — put your time in in Junior, hit the A for at least a year to test your body against the best possible competition to determine just how NHL-ready you really are and then make the team right out of camp the following season.

EdMc28
07-10-2014, 12:58 PM
I hope he plays in one of the MSG pre season games. Would love to get an up close look at him. The thing with him making the team is the whole its he plays here or sits mantra. He's going to experience some growing pains at some point and not having the option to send him down to Hartford is a killer.

RangersFan
07-10-2014, 01:09 PM
I think keeping him in the juniors one more year is good for him. Absolutely no reason to rush him

Pete
07-10-2014, 01:10 PM
I hope he plays in one of the MSG pre season games. Would love to get an up close look at him. The thing with him making the team is the whole its he plays here or sits mantra. He's going to experience some growing pains at some point and not having the option to send him down to Hartford is a killer.

I agree, this is how I feel. He isn't AHL eligible, so if he struggles here, what happens? No one ever got hurt by going back to junior and marinating a little bit.

ThirtyONE
07-10-2014, 01:12 PM
What I he's good enough to make the team out of camp? Do the rangers send him to juniors anyway, knowing that hell have some bumps in the road?

Morphinity
07-10-2014, 01:14 PM
What I he's good enough to make the team out of camp? Do the rangers send him to juniors anyway, knowing that hell have some bumps in the road?

Maybe give him 10 games and then send him back. I don't see how keeping him for a whole season is a good idea unless he's just going gangbusters in those first 10 games.

Pete
07-10-2014, 01:16 PM
What I he's good enough to make the team out of camp? Do the rangers send him to juniors anyway, knowing that hell have some bumps in the road?Then keep him for the 10 games and see.

The top 6 are solidified.

Nash
MSL
Stepan
Brassard
Zuccarello
Krieder

With Hagelin knocking on the door. I just don't see how Duclair wins a job over any of them, even if he has an outstanding camp. What I DON'T want to see is him playing on the 3rd line, not getting PP time, sitting in the press box, etc.

There is nothing at all wrong with him going back to junior. There is absolutely no need to rush him.

lefty9
07-10-2014, 01:16 PM
Rather see Duclair play another year in the juniors

Phil in Absentia
07-10-2014, 01:21 PM

I agree, this is how I feel. He isn't AHL eligible, so if he struggles here, what happens? No one ever got hurt by going back to junior and marinating a little bit.

Completely agree. He ends up being a great story in camp, trips up and watches half the year from the box because the Rangers were impatient? No thanks.

Keep him his nine or ten games, whatever it is, and then return him to Junior and allow him to continue to progress.

DiJock94
07-10-2014, 02:26 PM
I think they will give him a long look to maybe replace Pouliot. I'm pulling for him.

Phil in Absentia
07-10-2014, 02:31 PM
No one isn't pulling for him. The thing is, the last player they advanced like this was MDZ, and they got burned for it a year later when he regressed hard and ended up having to go to the AHL. Granted, his first year was fine, but with Duclair, you risk the same type of scenario.

Pete
07-10-2014, 02:40 PM
Kid sounds like a stud, I'm not sure what the urge to rush him is all about.

DiJock94
07-10-2014, 02:55 PM
No one isn't pulling for him. The thing is, the last player they advanced like this was MDZ, and they got burned for it a year later when he regressed hard and ended up having to go to the AHL. Granted, his first year was fine, but with Duclair, you risk the same type of scenario.

I agree and disagree. Del Zotto jumped right in on defense. Harder position to adjust to. But I agree they probably won't risk it with him unless he blows them away.

Respecttheblue
07-11-2014, 07:43 AM
I think keeping him in the juniors one more year is good for him. Absolutely no reason to rush him

AGREE. Definitely not interested in rushing another player and paying the price. Let him develop and "go through the process" as they say. Done right, he could have a big upside for us. Though like ThirtyONE, I am excited about his prospects for an NHL career.

Kevin
07-11-2014, 09:17 AM
Completely agree. He ends up being a great story in camp, trips up and watches half the year from the box because the Rangers were impatient? No thanks.

Keep him his nine or ten games, whatever it is, and then return him to Junior and allow him to continue to progress.

Right. Just ask the Devils if they would reconsider what they did to Matteau. Not only did they almost certainly affect his growth by keeping him on for 17 games his first season with numerous healthy scratches, they also burned a year of his ELC. Let's not do this with Duclair. If he has a tremendous camp then keep him for under 10 games and send him back to juniors. I can't imagine that he'll play so well during those 9 games that he'll force them to keep him but that would be a great problem to have for us.

NYR2711
07-11-2014, 09:48 AM
No reason to rush him. Keep him in juniors. My fear in giving him a 10 game stint is that if he tears it up those 10 games, and then falls off the face of the earth if they keep him, its going to hurt his development sitting every game instead.

G1000
07-11-2014, 11:43 AM
I'd say at this point his shot at making the roster is both real and obvious. We've got a 3rd line LW spot open and on a Vigneault team, that's an attacking position.

If he's the best fit, he gets the spot. There's no "blueprint for greatness" when developing players - else everyone would follow it and everyone would be awesome. To each his own - so if Duclair comes into camp and rips it up, he'll have earned his spot.

Myusername
07-11-2014, 11:50 AM
I'd say at this point his shot at making the roster is both real and obvious. We've got a 3rd line LW spot open and on a Vigneault team, that's an attacking position.

If he's the best fit, he gets the spot. There's no "blueprint for greatness" when developing players - else everyone would follow it and everyone would be awesome. To each his own - so if Duclair comes into camp and rips it up, he'll have earned his spot.

Indeed. It's always safe not to rush a player, but if he lights in up in camp I think he makes the team. However, he'll have plenty of competition, so it won't be easily at all.

NYR2711
07-11-2014, 11:52 AM
Camp doesn't really mean much if your not playing full NHL caliber teams. There is no harm in letting the kid develop. We aren't in dire need to get him here.

Pete
07-11-2014, 12:02 PM
Camp doesn't really mean much if your not playing full NHL caliber teams. There is no harm in letting the kid develop. We aren't in dire need to get him here.

This is pretty much how I feel. A kid performing in camp, or even for 10 games doesn't mean he won't have seriously slipped by game 50.

I mean, like Phil said, Sean Monahan in Calgary...

No player ever got worse by being allowed to develop.

CreaseCrusader91
07-11-2014, 12:05 PM
This is pretty much how I feel. A kid performing in camp, or even for 10 games doesn't mean he won't have seriously slipped by game 50.

I agree, but Monahan was just bored, or boring or both.

Phil in Absentia
07-11-2014, 12:15 PM

It's not that simple. You'd be basing a decision on this player based on, in essence, a handful of preseason games and nine NHL games where the consequences of your actions can be damning for that players' development.

I was talking to Pete about this over lunch yesterday and cited Sean Monahan as an example. Sometimes it works, but other times it doesn't. It's not about a universal blueprint. It's about what's best for the long-term projection of your asset. If the Rangers truly feel Duclair is NHL ready and that this isn't going to affect his development curve in a negative light, then so be it, but I'd be wary of that just based on how wrong it's gone for some players at that age in recent history — guys like Del Zotto, Morgan Rielly, etc.

!br-avery!
07-11-2014, 02:03 PM
I say if he looks really good and comfortable in training camp and preseason keep him for 10 games

Phil in Absentia
07-11-2014, 02:13 PM
If you keep him ten games, you burn the first year of his contract and eliminate the option to return him to Junior. Nine games, last I checked, is the maximum number of games he can play before you cross that bridge.

momentum
07-11-2014, 03:32 PM
Might be fun to throw him on the topline LW with Stepan and Nash in pre season and see what happens.

TwoMinutesForNothing
07-11-2014, 04:31 PM
If you keep him ten games, you burn the first year of his contract and eliminate the option to return him to Junior. Nine games, last I checked, is the maximum number of games he can play before you cross that bridge.

You can return him to Junior at any time, doesn't matter how many games he's played. You just wouldn't get the year on his contract back at that point.

Saucy Mitts
07-11-2014, 04:40 PM
He's got http://whatistheexcel.com/wooobooru/_images/1233d76218df4cdbb13b854d3f3fcd35/3683%20-%20grin%20suit%20vince_mcmahon%20wwe.png

Ranger Lothbrok
07-11-2014, 09:59 PM
Just a question: aside from the largely hypothetical debate about the open roster spot and Duclair's skill set, isn't he still rather skinny? I remembered hearing that he was still like 180 or something. I ask because of him getting that pretty nasty concussion last season, and as a young player you do NOT want that to become a recurring issue. In the NHL he'd be facing a lot more size and a lot more mean. I'd hate to see him get knocked around.

G1000
07-12-2014, 06:21 PM
It's not that simple. You'd be basing a decision on this player based on, in essence, a handful of preseason games and nine NHL games where the consequences of your actions can be damning for that players' development.

I was talking to Pete about this over lunch yesterday and cited Sean Monahan as an example. Sometimes it works, but other times it doesn't. It's not about a universal blueprint. It's about what's best for the long-term projection of your asset. If the Rangers truly feel Duclair is NHL ready and that this isn't going to affect his development curve in a negative light, then so be it, but I'd be wary of that just based on how wrong it's gone for some players at that age in recent history — guys like Del Zotto, Morgan Rielly, etc.

Or how right it's gone for Evander Kane or Ryan O'Reilly?

It's a case-by-case assessment. Frankly, scoring near 100 points in a shortened season with two years of eligibility left screams that he might be overwhelming the competition down there.

Then again, Christian Thomas.

Pete
07-12-2014, 08:24 PM
It's went right for Evander Kane?

Phil in Absentia
07-12-2014, 08:41 PM
O'Reilly also didn't break out until his third year. His first two years in the league he had like 27 points over full seasons played.

CreaseCrusader91
07-13-2014, 12:55 AM
Just a question: aside from the largely hypothetical debate about the open roster spot and Duclair's skill set, isn't he still rather skinny? I remembered hearing that he was still like 180 or something. I ask because of him getting that pretty nasty concussion last season, and as a young player you do NOT want that to become a recurring issue. In the NHL he'd be facing a lot more size and a lot more mean. I'd hate to see him get knocked around.

He was 177 when drafted and he's 185 now according to team website. I can't see him getting much bigger being only 5'11".

RichieNextel305
07-13-2014, 01:11 PM

Not saying I disagree, but...
http://committedindians.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/jessiman.jpg

Ranger Lothbrok
07-13-2014, 04:54 PM
Not saying I disagree, but...
http://committedindians.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/jessiman.jpg

Well, to be fair, it's tough to say Jessiman got worse. He just never got any better lol. Perhaps because for him, there wasn't a "better" to be had.

Pete
07-13-2014, 05:39 PM
Yea. He never even started to develop.

momentum
07-13-2014, 08:00 PM
I MISS HOCKEY!!

James Lionel Price
07-14-2014, 12:07 AM
If he is ready, he needs to play. This kid has been a man among boys. He has a shot.

NYR2711
07-14-2014, 10:18 AM
If he is ready, he needs to play. This kid has been a man among boys. He has a shot.

SO was Grachev, and he was projected to be a top line layer, and then look what happened to him, he did nothing outside of juniors. No need to rush Duclair.

Cash or Czech?
07-14-2014, 12:34 PM
SO was Grachev, and he was projected to be a top line layer, and then look what happened to him, he did nothing outside of juniors. No need to rush Duclair.

In completely different definitions of "man among boys". Grachev was literally a giant compared to most of the opponents he played against. Duclair is that much more talented than his competition.

Grachev also played on a line with Duchene when he had his monster season. Duclair has been doing it himself. Apples to oranges, IMO.

Ranger Lothbrok
07-14-2014, 02:41 PM
In completely different definitions of "man among boys". Grachev was literally a giant compared to most of the opponents he played against. Duclair is that much more talented than his competition.

Grachev also played on a line with Duchene when he had his monster season. Duclair has been doing it himself. Apples to oranges, IMO.

He played with someone else on that line too that had a monster season. But yeah, I think we've seen quite a few examples of guys that were pushed along too early because of excitement. It's tough to say whether that was the thing that waylaid their careers, but I agree with Pete's overall statement that I can't recall someone's development being hurt by taking more time to get to the NHL. Nothing worse than getting here, realizing you're outclassed, and then being stuck on the bench because you can't go back to Juniors or Hartford. They either keep going out there and hurt the team by not being ready, or the coach gives them limited minutes or benches them to minimize the damage. Either way, it's a confidence killer.

I'm impatient to see the next big Rangers offensive draft pick. Aside from Cherepanov, we haven't really gotten that guy that has a legit shot at being an offensive star. The Cherepanov thing was really a shame, but I think he was the most recent one after Kovalev. And we haven't had one stay long-term as a Ranger since Brian Leetch. That said, we've waited this long. I can wait another year or two.

Cash or Czech?
07-14-2014, 03:00 PM
I'd much rather let him have another year of Juniors then a year in the AHL if he needs it than pulling a Nino like the Islanders did and ruin the player.