PDA

View Full Version : Article: Rangers, Zuccarello Have ‘Good’ Initial Contract Talks

Slobberknocker
07-03-2014, 12:21 PM
The New York Rangers have had an offseason filled with turnover — losing Brad Richards, Brian Boyle, Anton Stralman and Benoit Pouliot while adding Dan Boyle and Tanner Glass — so it had to be comforting to hear that negotiations are going well with last year’s leading scorer, RFA winger Mats Zuccarello.

As such, the big question lingers… how much is Zuccarello going to command? Per Norwegian news outlet VG Sporten, Zuccarello is reportedly looking at a four-year pact worth $4-$5 million annually. If accurate, that really puts a dent in New York’s available money for its remaining RFAs.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/03/rangers-zuccarello-have-good-initial-contract-talks/

:happy::happy::happy:

josh
07-03-2014, 12:23 PM
This would be good if it wasn't for that obnoxiously annoying thread title... wtf?

Pete
07-03-2014, 12:24 PM
And maybe a quote from the article...:)

Slobberknocker
07-03-2014, 12:24 PM
i dont know how to quote the article out. Rome always does it for me. :)

Pete
07-03-2014, 12:25 PM
:rofl:

CreaseCrusader91
07-03-2014, 12:27 PM
Zuccarello’s agent, Craig Oster, reiterated his optimism Wednesday when he told the Daily News that the Newport Sports team had a “good” meeting with Gorton at last weekend’s NHL draft in Philadelphia.

Oster said Zuccarello knows the Rangers have a cap squeeze, the Blueshirts know he’s valuable, and they simply have to find a contract that fits both of their needs.
Sounds promising.

TwoMinutesForNothing
07-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Except it says he's looking for between $4 and 5 mil, which we can't afford to pay him.

lefty9
07-03-2014, 12:32 PM
We all thought he was going to settle for 3 to 3.5 now we see that he is looking for between 4 to 5 mill a year, this is not good

Pete
07-03-2014, 12:43 PM
That's his initial ask.

CreaseCrusader91
07-03-2014, 12:47 PM
Except it says he's looking for between $4 and 5 mil, which we can't afford to pay him.

And Toews and Kane asked for $12. Are they going to get it? He starts high, we aim low and we meet in middle for mutual win.

Myusername
07-03-2014, 12:48 PM
Imo one pretty good season doesn't net you 4-5 million and he probably knows it. I know he can get that elsewhere, but seems like he wants to be here. I say he'll get 3.75 per for 3-4 years

Phil in Absentia
07-03-2014, 12:50 PM
Imo one pretty good season doesn't net you 4-5 million and he probably knows it. I know he can get that elsewhere, but seems like he wants to be here. I say he'll get 3.75 per for 3-4 years

In the UFA market it does. Luckily for the Rangers, he's still an RFA.

AmericanJesus
07-03-2014, 01:07 PM
In the UFA market it does. Luckily for the Rangers, he's still an RFA.

Yes, for one year. That gives them leverage. Lets be honest here, some idiot GM would have given him $6MX5 for the way he played last year. He might earn that with his play if he continues to improve and the cap keeps going up. I hope they can lock him up for like $3.5M X 4 or something like that, but I suspect it'll be a little higher. I think I have him penciled in for $3.8M.

Pete
07-03-2014, 01:08 PM
He's got arbitration rights, so we're gonna get fucked if he really wants $5 million.

Phil in Absentia
07-03-2014, 01:10 PM
Yes, for one year. That gives them leverage. Lets be honest here, some idiot GM would have given him $6MX5 for the way he played last year. He might earn that with his play if he continues to improve and the cap keeps going up. I hope they can lock him up for like $3.5M X 4 or something like that, but I suspect it'll be a little higher.

Yup.

I'm thinking an even $4M over three or four years is where they end up. He's basically asking $5M, Rangers will say $3M, and they settle.

Leaves $11M for John Moore, Brassard and Kreider. Tight, but they can make it work I think. I still think Kreider and Moore get hammered in negotiations.

AmericanJesus
07-03-2014, 01:11 PM
Yup.

I'm thinking an even $4M over three or four years is where they end up. He's basically asking $5M, Rangers will say $3M, and they settle.

Leaves $11M for John Moore, Brassard and Kreider. Tight, but they can make it work I think. I still think Kreider and Moore get hammered in negotiations.

Yeah, I think we'll see Brassard at like $4.3M, Kreider at $2.3 and Moore at $1.5M. Leaves us just under $2M for a bargain 3rd line winger and a spare. I think we better start hoping that Duclair blows the coaches away in camp. Might be the only way we end up with a decent scorer in that third line LW spot.

Pete
07-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Zukes better put up 80 points next year, or we gon' suck.

Dunny
07-03-2014, 01:20 PM
Well.. He's not going to.

Pete
07-03-2014, 01:25 PM
Well.. He's not going to.

McDavid?

CreaseCrusader91
07-03-2014, 01:36 PM
Yeah, I think we'll see Brassard at like $4.3M, Kreider at $2.3 and Moore at $1.5M. Leaves us just under $2M for a bargain 3rd line winger and a spare. I think we better start hoping that Duclair blows the coaches away in camp. Might be the only way we end up with a decent scorer in that third line LW spot.

Kreider is arbitration eligible and that could help us if he has a high offer.

Steven.
07-03-2014, 02:07 PM
Expecting him to get $3.5M-$4M for 4 years.

Slats is gonna hardball a bit, I think. Zucc's not going to get his initial asking price.

...unless he goes to arbitration. I'm assuming he's eligible.

AmericanJesus
07-03-2014, 02:15 PM
12.1 Eligibility for Player or Club Election of Salary Arbitration

a) A Player is eligible for salary arbitration if the Player meets the qualifications set
forth in the following chart and in Section 12.1(b) below:

First SPC Signing Age / Minimum Level of Professional Experience to be Eligible for Salary Arbitration

18-20/4 years professional experience
21/3 years professional experience
22-23/2 years professional experience
24 and older/1 year professional experience

A Player aged 18 or 19 earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more NHL
Games in a given season. A Player aged 20 or older (or who turns 20 between September 16 and
December 31 of the calendar year in which he signs his first SPC) earns a year of professional
experience by playing ten (10) or more Professional Games under an SPC in a given season.

Kreider signed at 21, however, he didn't sign his deal until April 10, 2012. As such, he was only 20 by CBA definition in the year he was signed, I believe. That means he needs 4 years of professional experience to be Arbitration Eligible. He only has 3.

CreaseCrusader91
07-03-2014, 02:26 PM
12.1 Eligibility for Player or Club Election of Salary Arbitration

a) A Player is eligible for salary arbitration if the Player meets the qualifications set
forth in the following chart and in Section 12.1(b) below:

First SPC Signing Age / Minimum Level of Professional Experience to be Eligible for Salary Arbitration

18-20/4 years professional experience
21/3 years professional experience
22-23/2 years professional experience
24 and older/1 year professional experience

A Player aged 18 or 19 earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more NHL
Games in a given season. A Player aged 20 or older (or who turns 20 between September 16 and
December 31 of the calendar year in which he signs his first SPC) earns a year of professional
experience by playing ten (10) or more Professional Games under an SPC in a given season.

Kreider signed at 21, however, he didn't sign his deal until April 10, 2012. As such, he was only 20 by CBA definition in the year he was signed, I believe. That means he needs 4 years of professional experience to be Arbitration Eligible. He only has 3.

Andrew Gross
But the top priority now for the Rangers is getting center Derick Brassard, right wing Mats Zuccarello, left wing Chris Kreider and defenseman John Moore re-signed as restricted free agents.

All but Moore are arbitration eligible and all four have received qualifying offers. Saturday is the deadline for players to elect arbitration.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/hockey/rangers-focused-on-signing-rfas-1.1045592#sthash.6itEQY9p.dpuf

Steven.
07-03-2014, 02:36 PM
Zuccs falls under this one:

(Signed first SPC) 22-23/2 years professional experience

Pete
07-03-2014, 02:38 PM
Zuke and Brassard are, Kreider and Moore are not, arbitration eligible.

Phil in Absentia
07-03-2014, 02:44 PM
Andrew Gross

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/hockey/rangers-focused-on-signing-rfas-1.1045592#sthash.6itEQY9p.dpuf

Well, that sucks.

The only good thing about arbitration is that it assures they cannot sign offer sheets, assuming any do elect it.

Steven.
07-03-2014, 02:47 PM
Yeah, I don't think Kreider is eligible. What he did in 11-12 does not match the criteria of accruing a year of professional experience by CBA defintion.

AmericanJesus
07-03-2014, 03:02 PM
Zuccs falls under this one:

(Signed first SPC) 22-23/2 years professional experience

We were talking about Kreider. He's a tough one to figure out, since he didn't sign until right before the playoffs, was 21 at the time, but I believe he would be considered a 20 year old at time of signing. I know he is when you calculate his waiver status. As far as pro experience, I'd imagine his first year counts, as he played 18 playoff games, but I'm not 100% certain that it does. So he either has 2-3 years pro experience and needs either 3-4 years pro experience to be arbitration eligible.

This might come down to the lawyers.

Puck Head
07-03-2014, 03:04 PM
Kreider has arbitration rights.

Pete
07-03-2014, 03:09 PM
We were talking about Kreider. He's a tough one to figure out, since he didn't sign until right before the playoffs, was 21 at the time, but I believe he would be considered a 20 year old at time of signing. I know he is when you calculate his waiver status. As far as pro experience, I'd imagine his first year counts, as he played 18 playoff games, but I'm not 100% certain that it does. So he either has 2-3 years pro experience and needs either 3-4 years pro experience to be arbitration eligible.

This might come down to the lawyers.

Well the playoffs burned a year of his ELC, I know that.

But I remember reading he wasn't eligible for arbitration.

Puck Head
07-03-2014, 03:10 PM

I didn't think so, but every website I've looked at....or article, has him listed for arbitration rights.

Pete
07-03-2014, 03:12 PM
I didn't think so, but every website I've looked at....or article, has him listed for arbitration rights.

Yea, I forget where I read he didn't, but it wouldn't be the first time a beat writer is wrong.

If we have to assume that he has them, we're in a pickle.

AmericanJesus
07-03-2014, 03:12 PM

I'm seeing both. Most of the beat writers (and PuckHead) are saying he is arbitration eligible. Gross' post above and Brooks said it here:

http://nypost.com/2014/06/28/gm-takes-shots-at-rangers-free-agents/

Specifically, Sather took jabs at restricted free agents Mats Zuccarello and Chris Kreider, both of whom are arbitration-eligible — making it possible for them to sign one-year deals and then become unrestricted in 2015.

The bolded part however, shows a lack of basic understanding of free agency. Zucc would be a UFA if he were to sign a 1 year deal, Kreider wouldn't.

The issue with this sort of thing is that once one reputable source says it, you could just have everyone else reporting it too.

Puck Head
07-03-2014, 03:17 PM
One thing to note, I haven't researched, just going off from what I've read.

AmericanJesus
07-03-2014, 03:18 PM
Haha, I was searching on Kreider's eligibility and found this discussion:

http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?11862-Calder-Watch-amp-Chris-Kreider&p=576918&viewfull=1#post576918

Steven.
07-03-2014, 03:20 PM
Does burning a year off his ELC equate to accruing a professional year?

Puck Head
07-03-2014, 03:22 PM

Yes.
That's how we pulled that kid on contract a few months ago, (Haggerty)
It's become a method of cash value.

AmericanJesus
07-03-2014, 03:23 PM

It does. The question is, according to the CBA, was he 20 (4 years pro experience) or 21 (3 years pro experience) in the year he signed his contract. He signed in April 12th, 2012. His birthday is April 30th. So you'd think he was still just 20. But the CBA has some weird calculations they use. So for instance when you look on his CapGeek page:

http://capgeek.com/player/2226

You see his signing age in regards to calculating his waiver status was 20 years old, but they list his signing age for EL/FA as 21. Not sure why that is. Also not sure if the EL/FA signing age is in reference to arbitration or if it's about how many years pro experience he needs to hit UFA or other types of FA status.

RangersFan
07-03-2014, 03:58 PM
How much is Kreider looking for?

momentum
07-03-2014, 08:31 PM
god im sick of players having a good year thinking they're 5 mil a year players all of a sudden....sigh..

fletch
07-03-2014, 09:52 PM
Yup.

Agreed. Gotta fit under the cap somehow.

Puck Head
07-04-2014, 12:04 AM
I have approx. 8.5 left over for Moore, Brassard, and Kredier.
I think it's going to be that tight.

momentum
07-04-2014, 05:19 AM
I have approx. 8.5 left over for Moore, Brassard, and Kredier.
I think it's going to be that tight.

Should be enough, 4 for Brassard, 2.5 for Kreider 2 for Moore. None of them should get paid anymore really.

NYR2711
07-04-2014, 10:46 AM
god im sick of players having a good year thinking they're 5 mil a year players all of a sudden....sigh..

He actually started playing good for us after his stint in the KHL. He came here a different player, more determined.

Puck Head
07-04-2014, 11:27 AM
Should be enough, 4 for Brassard, 2.5 for Kreider 2 for Moore. None of them should get paid anymore really.

Brassard by most estimates will want/get 4.5-5 per year depending in years. In sure he will take 4 for one season, but as soon as years are tacked on it will get spendy.

RangersFan
07-04-2014, 11:31 AM
Funny thing is that Moulson is making 5 mil and he is a proven 30 goal scorer. Funny how our guys want around the same amount.

Puck Head
07-04-2014, 11:51 AM
Funny thing is that Moulson is making 5 mil and he is a proven 30 goal scorer. Funny how our guys want around the same amount.

Well it's been a few years since he's scored 30, and let's not forget the Tavares affect.
A lot of guys could kick in 20 goals with him as the center.

RangersFan
07-04-2014, 12:32 PM
Well it's been a few years since he's scored 30, and let's not forget the Tavares affect.

Yeah but 30 goals is 30 goals. Our guys havent even came close to that

Puck Head
07-04-2014, 01:43 PM
Yeah but 30 goals is 30 goals. Our guys havent even came close to that

True, but he's a 30 year old who just signed a 5 year contract.
Like I said, I'm pretty sure Zucc and Brassard would love to take 3.5 million dollar contracts for 1 year.
It's when you start buying extra years it adds up.

Pouliot was the weakest of those three, and just signed for 4 million times 4 years.
That sets the foundation of value on UFA years purchased.

CreaseCrusader91
07-04-2014, 04:50 PM

???

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/05/rede5a8a.jpg
23 last year. Paced 30 during lockout season and consistent 30 before that for three years. Also the Tavares effect is overrated. H

Puck Head
07-04-2014, 04:58 PM
I guess my point is this.
He's 30 years old, he's hit 30 goals 3 times.

At any level, (NCAA, Jr's, AHL, NHL, etc).
I wouldn't over rate the Tavares affect.

momentum
07-04-2014, 05:32 PM
Brassard by most estimates will want/get 4.5-5 per year depending in years. In sure he will take 4 for one season, but as soon as years are tacked on it will get spendy.

as far as I know they are restricted free agents....that makes a huge difference, they will want to play hockey and not sit out a whole season, that's why they WILL take less because they will HAVE to if they want to play. It can not be compared to Poliout who was a UFA...if he got 4 as an UFA if anything that should be used as leverage for them NOT getting even THAT much because UFA and RFA is a whole different ballgame and they know it. But maybe they're not RFA's?? I can't keep track of it anymore....and im sick of the players all cashing in on the fact that their team reached the SCF.....I'd offer them what they deserve as RFA'S and if they don't take it then fuck em....

Puck Head
07-04-2014, 06:08 PM
as far as I know they are restricted free agents....that makes a huge difference, they will want to play hockey and not sit out a whole season, that's why they WILL take less because they will HAVE to if they want to play. It can not be compared to Poliout who was a UFA...if he got 4 as an UFA if anything that should be used as leverage for them NOT getting even THAT much because UFA and RFA is a whole different ballgame and they know it. But maybe they're not RFA's?? I can't keep track of it anymore....and im sick of the players all cashing in on the fact that their team reached the SCF.....I'd offer them what they deserve as RFA'S and if they don't take it then fuck em....

But that's my point.
As RFA players they are probably worth 3.5. As UFA players they are probably worth close to 5.
We get one year left as RFA, after that we are buying UFA years. This has nothing to do with SCF, it has to do with those two being fairly good players.

Pete
07-04-2014, 09:52 PM
I guess my point is this.
He's 30 years old, he's hit 30 goals 3 times.

At any level, (NCAA, Jr's, AHL, NHL, etc).
I wouldn't over rate the Tavares affect.

He'd have hit out in the lock out year. Don't under rate JT, but can't discount that from where he scores from...center man doesn't really matter.

AmericanJesus
07-05-2014, 07:10 AM
I would think unless they are very close to deals both Brassard and MZA will file for salary arbitration. That will put some pressure on Sather.

Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc
07-05-2014, 07:37 AM
http://www.nettavisen.no/sport/vintersport/zuccarello-villig-til-a-ofre-lnn/8461125.html

Interview with Zuccarello in Norway. It says Zucc probably could demand 4-4.5, but to quote Zucc himself: "The most important for me is how many years I get, not necessarily how much money I get. I want to fight for the cup every season and therefor not necessarily demand too much"

"I hope to get 3 or 4 years. I want to stay here at Rangers. I feel I'm a big part of the team. That gives me confidence, and it makes me play better".

My guess, 3.7, 4years.

Stepan it
07-05-2014, 09:23 AM
Zucc is the fucking man

RangersFan
07-05-2014, 10:54 AM
Why cant Sather just offer him 4 mil for 4 years? or like the guy above me, 3.7 for 4 years?

Captain Clutch
07-05-2014, 10:59 AM
Maybe he did and Zucc wants more, or Maybe they're still in the back and forth stage of negotiations. No one knows what's going on right now, so I'm not gonna blame either party.

RangersFan
07-05-2014, 11:03 AM
But i just read above that Zucc said he wants 3-4 years. We know how many years he wants, so what is the problem?

NYR2711
07-05-2014, 11:17 AM

Offering them a 1 year deal until they get to UFA status is only going to hurt the team. You have to pay a little more to these guys if your going to buy UFA years.

NYR2711
07-05-2014, 11:18 AM
But i just read above that Zucc said he wants 3-4 years. We know how many years he wants, so what is the problem?

Its negotiations. The player asks for a high number, and the GM comes back with a low number. They go back and forth until they get to that happy medium. If you just come out with the number, both sides will disagree with it. Thats just how negotiations work for anything.

Captain Clutch
07-05-2014, 11:22 AM
We also don't know if what he says is even true. We've all heard players say they want to stay in NY or that this is where they want to play but they go where money is or where they can get a longer deal. Luckily, Zucc is an RFA so the odds of that are significantly lower.