PDA

View Full Version : Rumor/Report: NYR Are Among Teams Courting UFA Steve Ott; Signs with Blues 7/10

CreaseCrusader91
07-02-2014, 01:47 PM
It's believed the Leafs have some interest in unrestricted free agent forward Steve Ott, who split last season between the Buffalo Sabres and St. Louis Blues.

Ott, 31, is also believed to be courted by the New York Rangers and Detroit Red Wings, among others.
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/tor140702.html

Phil in Absentia
07-02-2014, 01:50 PM
Good, solid, hard-to-play-against vet. Get him in under $3M a year and I'm totally good with this.

Pete
07-02-2014, 01:51 PM
And he wins draws.

Did you see nhl.com?

Valriera
07-02-2014, 01:56 PM
And he wins draws.

Did you see nhl.com?

This tbh, he's really good in the face-off circle. Boyle was our best face-off guy and he wasn't even that good. Now that he's gone, we need someone pretty badly. Otherwise, who's our go to guy for this? Stepan? ::shudder::

CreaseCrusader91
07-02-2014, 01:59 PM
CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Rick Nash ($7.800m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Chris Kreider ($2.050m)
Mats Zuccarello ($4.000m) / Derick Brassard ($4.300m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / J.T. Miller ($0.894m) / Dustin Penner ($1.110m)
Dominic Moore ($1.500m) / Steve Ott ($2.200m) / Tanner Glass ($1.450m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Girardi ($5.500m) / Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m)
Dan Boyle ($4.500m) / Marc Staal ($3.975m)
Kevin Klein ($2.900m) / John Moore ($1.350m)
Mike Kostka ($0.650m) /
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($8.500m)
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,892,167; BONUSES: $350,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $107,833

Don't worry about combos. I think signing Ott would leave us space for one more person to fill the Pouliot role, so I placed Penner there, but it could be Heatley or someone else for that matter. Thoughts?

So Nashty
07-02-2014, 02:04 PM
I have always liked ott. Yes please.

ThirtyONE
07-02-2014, 02:05 PM
now THIS is something I can get excited about. Fuck. Yes. Steve Ott would be a GREAT signing.

Drew a Penalty
07-02-2014, 02:06 PM
I dig it.

Pete
07-02-2014, 02:06 PM
I just don't see where he fits in this system, on this roster. My only guess is as a 4th line PK guy, but is he willing to play that role at that price?

leetchy2
07-02-2014, 02:08 PM
No thanks, don't want any part of him. In 29 games with the Blues he had zero goals and was a surprising -15. Would rather put the money toward Grabovski.

Captain Clutch
07-02-2014, 02:09 PM
Ott would be good for this team, make up for any mistakes Glass could potentially make.

Phil in Absentia
07-02-2014, 02:09 PM
I just don't see where he fits in this system, on this roster. My only guess is as a 4th line PK guy, but is he willing to play that role at that price?

Immediate concern is Miller. If he's making the team by default, there's no point in giving Ott north of $2M a year to play on our fourth line. I'd rather just get Galiardi or some other player who can be that natural fourth line player for a natural fourth line salary ($1M~).

And there's no point in having Miller be the teams' fourth line center either, so really the question is -- Ott or Miller? If Ott, then trade Miller for that winger you want to give to Zucc and Brassard.

ThirtyONE
07-02-2014, 02:10 PM

3rd line center could create lots of room for someone like Zucc or MSL. He's no slouch with the puck on his stick either. He'd be an upgrade over Boyle in the defensive end and a change from the Richards dynamic in the offensive end.

He's somewhere between Boyle and Richards in terms of role on this team, IMO.

Phil in Absentia
07-02-2014, 02:11 PM
No thanks, don't want any part of him. In 29 games with the Blues he had zero goals and was a surprising -15. Would rather put the money toward Grabovski.

Small sample size on a guy moved at the deadline. His numbers with Buffalo prior were fine for his role, and you can toss the plus/minus in his case with BUF having one of the the worst goal differentials in the league the last three years.

There are bad players, and then there are good players on bad teams. Ott is likely the latter.

Pete
07-02-2014, 02:12 PM
3rd line center could create lots of room for someone like Zucc or MSL. He's no slouch with the puck on his stick either. He'd be an upgrade over Boyle in the defensive end and a change from the Richards dynamic in the offensive end.

Eh. I guess. I think the Zucc-Brassard pair should stay in tact. I don't know. I'm not sold, but wouldn't rail against it.

RangersFan
07-02-2014, 02:16 PM
yes please

leetchy2
07-02-2014, 02:20 PM
Small sample size on a guy moved at the deadline. His numbers with Buffalo prior were fine for his role, and you can toss the plus/minus in his case with BUF having one of the the worst goal differentials in the league the last three years.

There are bad players, and then there are good players on bad teams. Ott is likely the latter.

But zero goals and -15 in 29 games with the Blues is not a good sign and not so sure that's too small of a sample. I can see tossing out the +/- playing with the Sabres, but when you can't do squat playing for a cup contender and when you're 32 & declining then those are red flags IMO. Besides I'd rather spend the money elsewhere (like a LW for Zucc/Brass or for an improvement at center over Miller).

Pete
07-02-2014, 02:22 PM
Yea, I wouldn't say 30 games is a small sample size. It's almost half a season.

RangersFan
Bring in Booth, Riberio and Ott for cheap deals and resign the RFA and lets go

ThirtyONE
Eh. I guess. I think the Zucc-Brassard pair should stay in tact. I don't know. I'm not sold, but wouldn't rail against it.

I mean, I don't think he's a savior by any means but we haven't had that kind of dynamic for our smaller players up front. I think that's what intrigues me the most. Can he create space for MSL or Hags? Richards just couldn't do much of anything for those guys and that could be because he was slow but it could also be because there was no grit to that line. Who knows. I'd be interested at the right price.

ThirtyONE
07-02-2014, 02:24 PM
But zero goals and -15 in 29 games with the Blues is not a good sign and not so sure that's too small of a sample. I can see tossing out the +/- playing with the Sabres, but when you can't do squat playing for a cup contender and when you're 32 & declining then those are red flags IMO. Besides I'd rather spend the money elsewhere (like a LW for Zucc/Brass or for an improvement at center over Miller).

I'd like to think Ott would be an improvement over Miller. Not just in points but everything.

Pete
07-02-2014, 02:25 PM
I mean, I don't think he's a savior by any means but we haven't had that kind of dynamic for our smaller players up front. I think that's what intrigues me the most. Can he create space for MSL or Hags? Richards just couldn't do much of anything for those guys and that could be because he was slow but it could also be because there was no grit to that line. Who knows. I'd be interested at the right price.

I think it's better for the team to let Miller take the 3C role and spend the money on a winger for Brass/Zucc, though, no?

!br-avery!
07-02-2014, 02:30 PM
Fuck yes, hope we get him
Love ott

RangersFan
07-02-2014, 02:33 PM
I think it's better for the team to let Miller take the 3C role and spend the money on a winger for Brass/Zucc, though, no?

I would start Miller at LW and then ease him into a center role.

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Kreider-Brassard-St Louis
Miller-Ott-Zuccarello
Glass-Moore-?

you can even sign Ott for the 4th line and bring in Rebeiro for the 2nd or 3rd. Miller starts with 4th line minutes and PK time if that happens. And bring in Booth

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Kreider-Rebeiro-St Louis
Booth-Brassard-Zuccarello
Miller-Moore-Ott

or

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Booth-Rebeiro-Zuccarello
Hagelin-Brassard-St Louis
Miller-Moore-Ott

Phil in Absentia
07-02-2014, 02:33 PM

Sure. I'm not saying to just discard the stats entirely. I'm just saying, I'm not making a decision on a player like that based entirely on his last 30 games, regardless of context or circumstance.

Yea, I wouldn't say 30 games is a small sample size. It's almost half a season.

With a brand new team in the middle of the year? I would.

Maybe it's not "small", per se, but it's not large enough to draw a definitive conclusion from either. Not when you compare it to the numbers he put up with BUF the season and a half prior. He was just fine, was moved and had a steep drop off. Maybe it was just an issue with comfort and familiarity?

ThirtyONE
07-02-2014, 02:34 PM

Maybe. I just don't love Miller or the idea of giving him a spot in the lineup when he hasn't earned it. As everyone has said, we're weak down the middle. Between Miller and Ott, who makes us better? I say Ott.

Pete
07-02-2014, 02:34 PM
I would start Miller at LW and then ease him into a center role.

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Kreider-Brassard-St Louis
Miller-Ott-Zuccarello
Glass-Moore-?

you can even sign Ott for the 4th line and bring in Rebeiro for the 2nd or 3rd. Miller starts with 4th line minutes and PK time if that happens. And bring in Booth

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Kreider-Rebeiro-St Louis
Booth-Brassard-Zuccarello
Miller-Moore-Ott

or

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Booth-Rebeiro-Zuccarello
Hagelin-Brassard-St Louis
Miller-Moore-Ott

There is no money available to add Booth, Ribiero and Ott.

RangersFan
07-02-2014, 02:35 PM
There is no money available to add Booth, Ribiero and Ott.

I said that only if they took very cheap deals. Just some ideas

Myusername
07-02-2014, 02:37 PM
I'm worried about his stats also. Only 23 points and a -38 in 82 games last season. He's definitely fallen off a bit

Pete
07-02-2014, 02:37 PM
Sure. I'm not saying to just discard the stats entirely. I'm just saying, I'm not making a decision on a player like that based entirely on his last 30 games, regardless of context or circumstance.

With a brand new team in the middle of the year? I would.

Maybe it's not "small", per se, but it's not large enough to draw a definitive conclusion from either. Not when you compare it to the numbers he put up with BUF the season and a half prior. He was just fine, was moved and had a steep drop off. Maybe it was just an issue with comfort and familiarity?

You mean the same issues he'd face coming to NYC?

I don't know. Guy is 32. I don't know how you can just throw away 30 games of crap. I'd still be a bit concerned and use it to drive down his price.

Phil in Absentia
07-02-2014, 02:43 PM
You mean the same issues he'd face coming to NYC?

I don't know. Guy is 32. I don't know how you can just throw away 30 games of crap. I'd still be a bit concerned and use it to drive down his price.

He's got all summer to hang with the guys, as well as training camp and preseason to acclimate. That's way more than players get when moved at the deadline.

I'm not throwing those games away. I'm saying I wouldn't base my entire decision on him on those games. They are a factor. Just not a huge one. If that was his yearly total, I'd be much more alarmed.

ThirtyONE
07-02-2014, 02:46 PM
I think there's a lot to think about when deciding whether or not to bring an old player with declining numbers here. I think it was the right call with Boyle, and we'll see if that's the case, and I think it's the right call with Ott. He's not coming here to be a star. He's coming here to fill a role down the bottom of the lineup. It could work.

josh
07-02-2014, 02:47 PM
I don't want to pay him what it would take to get him. Downie deal - sure. I also don't want him in the top 9.

Johnnydollaz18
07-02-2014, 02:58 PM
I've been preaching his name, as has others for years on here, I hope we can land him.

Patrick Bateman
07-02-2014, 03:01 PM
I'm worried about his stats also. Only 23 points and a -38 in 82 games last season. He's definitely fallen off a bit

Yea but what's his CORSI QoC?

momentum
07-02-2014, 03:15 PM
would LOVE if we could pick him up, Steve Ott is the ultimate physical pest. Such a versatile great all round player. PLEASE get this guy.

Slobberknocker
07-02-2014, 03:15 PM

agreed. like that morin guy :drool:

TwoMinutesForNothing
07-02-2014, 03:48 PM
I've never really had much faith in TFP as a legit source.

Steven.
07-02-2014, 03:56 PM
Ugh. Thank god TFP is the one reporting it.

Steven.
07-02-2014, 03:56 PM

Eklund is better.

CreaseCrusader91
07-02-2014, 04:15 PM

Why?

Steven.
07-02-2014, 04:17 PM
Why?

I cannot recall a time where TFP broke something, or when one of their "rumours" came through. They basically take broad shots in the dark.

Morphinity
07-02-2014, 04:17 PM
What exactly is TFP? Are they like an LA-based, hockey lifestyle magazine company? Do they do rumors on the side?

Steven.
07-02-2014, 04:19 PM
What exactly is TFP? Are they like an LA-based, hockey lifestyle magazine company? Do they do rumors on the side?

I think the most apt word to describe them is "tabloid".

Ranger Lothbrok
07-02-2014, 04:23 PM

This. That Brass-Zook line is dying for someone who can shoot, particularly someone off the pass. Signing Ott still leaves a huge void at wing. I think Pouliot's style worked well with those guys. He just didn't have the best hands in the world. But when you look at the RFA's we have to sign, you're operating in the range of $1.5 mil or less on the remaining free agents, with almost zero assets to trade for offensive help. With that kind of money you have to be smart, but you also have to try and find value at a lower price. That necessarily involves a little roll of the dice.

When I'm looking at our potential lineup, yes: the void at center is pretty glaring. A first line center changes a lot. But there aren't any available either on the FA or via trade, and even if there were we couldn't afford either the cap hit or the assets we'd have to give up. Ott is a mean son of a bitch who wins draws and excels on the PK. That's incredibly useful, and I've wanted him here for years. But if AV's ultimate goal is a speed game Ott just doesn't fit in to that plan anymore. And while he brings something we don't have, he doesn't bring something we NEED. To me, that's a huge difference.

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Hags-Miller-MSL
Zook-Brass-???
Glass-Moore-Ott

Does anyone want to break up Zook and Brass? Do we want to give Steve Ott a 2nd line role? Do we want to waste his face-off ability by playing wing? Do we want to waste Moore's? It just doesn't make sense to me, especially when we can fill that 4th line spot with Lindberg or Fast. But signing Ott just does not address the most glaring hole on the roster: a winger for Brass and Zook.

Ranger Lothbrok
07-02-2014, 04:28 PM
As far as The Fourth Period's credibility, there was a time when they were a complete joke. If you wanted to get yourself excited over things that wouldn't come true, it was a good discussion point. Totally off the reservation, unsubstantiated and non-cited rumor mill. But if you wanted a little rush before July 1st or the trade deadline, you could go on there to make yourself salivate. They were really the only site that purported to be an exclusive NHL rumor source, and nothing else. And much like Eklund, they had us involved in almost anything that was remotely exciting.

In recent times they've become much more credible. In fact, yesterday Dennis at TFP broke more than a few signings (though none of which major, if I recall) before some of the major news sources. As with any rumor mill, everything stated is to be taken with a grain of salt. But it's no longer the Eklund-level bullshit it once was. The regular news outlets routinely retweet their stuff, and guys like Dreger and LeBrun have back-and-forths with them. They clearly have SOME sources, but the site remains a far cry from the legitimacy of a place like TSN.

josh
07-02-2014, 04:28 PM

If Miller is 3C, I think you spend money on getting him another winger. Hagelin - Miller - St Louis... enh, not fond of that. I'd put Kreider with Brass and Zucc

AmericanJesus
07-02-2014, 04:35 PM
If Miller is 3C, I think you spend money on getting him another winger. Hagelin - Miller - St Louis... enh, not fond of that. I'd put Kreider with Brass and Zucc

Agree with this. Kreider should be a better version of Pouliot. He's still growing in that role, but these are three guys that should be locked up for the next few years at least. Might as well see if you can build some chemistry there.

The other lines can shake out from there.

josh
07-02-2014, 04:40 PM
Agree with this. Kreider should be a better version of Pouliot. He's still growing in that role, but these are three guys that should be locked up for the next few years at least. Might as well see if you can build some chemistry there.

The other lines can shake out from there.
Yeah, and if you (Pete) thought they had chemistry and success with Pouliot, now they have dynamic speed that opens up even more space for those 2 good passers.

Also, it puts Miller with St Louis. I think Marty might be able to help Miller get his on-ice shit together. Work hard, and get rewarded. But I don't think Hagelin would be the right wing for that line. A Mueller, possibly, maybe a guy like Setoguchi, but I think it needs to be someone with a little bit more offensive ability than Hagelin... who will do just fine retrieving for Nash and Stepan.

AmericanJesus
07-02-2014, 04:45 PM
Yeah, and if you (Pete) thought they had chemistry and success with Pouliot, now they have dynamic speed that opens up even more space for those 2 good passers.

Also, it puts Miller with St Louis. I think Marty might be able to help Miller get his on-ice shit together. Work hard, and get rewarded. But I don't think Hagelin would be the right wing for that line. A Mueller, possibly, maybe a guy like Setoguchi, but I think it needs to be someone with a little bit more offensive ability than Hagelin... who will do just fine retrieving for Nash and Stepan.

I'm on board for Mueller. Afraid they might go with Fast though. It's possible that Sather is going to want to try to bank some cap space for the trade deadline. $2M from day 1 becomes like $7M on deadline day.

Pete
07-02-2014, 04:49 PM
Are we talking realistic possibility here? Because I don't think Mueller falls into that category...

AmericanJesus
07-02-2014, 04:52 PM
Are we talking realistic possibility here? Because I don't think Mueller falls into that category...

Why, you think he'll cost too much?

josh
07-02-2014, 04:52 PM

I want a RH Pouliot, essentially. A "buy low" guy with skill, some size, good hands, but most importantly, I want him to shoot. I want him to want to shoot.

I'd still take Sharp, there, too.

Pete
07-02-2014, 04:54 PM
Why, you think he'll cost too much?
No, I don't think the Rangers are even remotely interested, not based on anything but gut feeling.

I want a RH Pouliot, essentially. A "buy low" guy with skill, some size, good hands, but most importantly, I want him to shoot. I want him to want to shoot.

I'd still take Sharp, there, too.Vrbata!

ThirtyONE
07-02-2014, 04:55 PM
Someone threw out Mueller's name once and it stuck to 3-4 people's minds and now that's the only name I see around here...

AmericanJesus
07-02-2014, 04:56 PM
Someone through out Mueller's name once and it stuck to 3-4 people's minds and now that's the only name I see around here...

Well, he's in play, has played left wing and center, he should come cheap on a 1 year deal and that would make him low risk, high reward. Kind of like Pouliot was last year. He's the type of player we need to look at because unless we make a move, we have like $2M to fill the 3rd line wing position.

AmericanJesus
07-02-2014, 04:57 PM
No, I don't think the Rangers are even remotely interested, not based on anything but gut feeling.
Vrbata!

Given the salaries being handed out, I think Vrbata is looking in the 3-4 year, $4-5M range. In fact, it wouldn't shock me if it's taking so long because some team like Buffalo or Calgary offered him $5MX5

ThirtyONE
07-02-2014, 04:59 PM
Given the salaries being handed out, I think Vrbata is looking in the 3-4 year, $4-5M range. In fact, it wouldn't shock me if it's taking so long because some team like Buffalo or Calgary offered him $5MX5

Based on which salaries though? We've seen some INCREDIBLY low wages along with some gross overpayments. If he was that hot, he would have been signed yesterday, IMO.

josh
07-02-2014, 04:59 PM
Vrbata!

What do you mean not interested???
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Mueller

Vrbata is a RW.

Pete
07-02-2014, 05:01 PM

I think he's taking so long because he's looking for the right deal. Not the most money.

AmericanJesus
07-02-2014, 05:05 PM
Based on which salaries though? We've seen some INCREDIBLY low wages along with some gross overpayments. If he was that hot, he would have been signed yesterday, IMO.

He'd have to really want to play for us to take the kind of money we could afford. Just because he didn't rush to sign like some did doesn't mean that he doesn't have a bunch of offers and he's taking his time. He's the highest scoring UFA left and a bunch of teams missed out on the top players. You think a 20g, 30a guy is going to sign for around $2M?

Pete
07-02-2014, 05:08 PM
He'd have to really want to play for us to take the kind of money we could afford. Just because he didn't rush to sign like some did doesn't mean that he doesn't have a bunch of offers and he's taking his time. He's the highest scoring UFA left and a bunch of teams missed out on the top players. You think a 20g, 30a guy is going to sign for around $2M?

I think he takes $3.5, and if we were to get him, we'd flip Klein.

ThirtyONE
07-02-2014, 05:08 PM
Well, he's in play, has played left wing and center, he should come cheap on a 1 year deal and that would make him low risk, high reward. Kind of like Pouliot was last year. He's the type of player we need to look at because unless we make a move, we have like $2M to fill the 3rd line wing position.

I get all that but if he was any good he'd be in the NHL already. The Florida Panthers let him go for nothing. That says something. I haven't seen anyone (other than posters here) talk about him being in play on any level. So everyone is all in on Mueller when he's really never lived up to any kind of potential, has injury problems, and wasn't good enough to play in the NHL last season.... I don't get why anyone would want him, honestly.

RangersFan
07-02-2014, 05:09 PM

Who replaces Klein?

AmericanJesus
07-02-2014, 05:09 PM
I think he's taking so long because he's looking for the right deal. Not the most money.

Sure. I suspect he's got a decent offer from Arizona, but realizes he's not winning anything there. I bet Detroit is in on him, because they've struck out repeatedly. Anaheim could be looking at him. Same with San Jose. He probably has a number of deals on the table and isn't sure where he wants to go. But I doubt we have the cash. I wish we did, because I'd move MZA to the left for him. But we just don't. Not even in the right ball park unless we make a trade to remove salary.

AmericanJesus
07-02-2014, 05:10 PM

And I would be all for that. Although then we're handcuffed at the trade deadline because we won't be able to bank a cent. In fact, I suspect if we did that, we'd have to seriously consider playing, at least at home, with a 21 man roster. Only bring taxi squad guys on the longer road trips.

AmericanJesus
07-02-2014, 05:13 PM
I get all that but if he was any good he'd be in the NHL already. The Florida Panthers let him go for nothing. That says something. I haven't seen anyone (other than posters here) talk about him being in play on any level. So everyone is all in on Mueller when he's really never lived up to any kind of potential, has injury problems, and wasn't good enough to play in the NHL last season.... I don't get why anyone would want him, honestly.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/21/komarov-mueller-returning-to-nhl-next-season/

That’s what forwards Leo Komarov and Peter Mueller are hoping. ESPN.com’s Craig Custance reports both players are looking to come back to the world’s best hockey league after each spent this season in Europe.

Mueller’s year in Europe was spent in the Swiss National League and playing for Team USA at World Championships. He scored 24 goals for Kloten tying him for the league lead and had 46 points in 49 games. That point total was good for third in the league.

His departure from the NHL was a bit of a surprise, but after a tough season with the Florida Panthers he had to show he still could rack up points. Mission accomplished. Now he’ll hope a team has a need for a depth skill player.

ThirtyONE
07-02-2014, 05:19 PM
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/21/komarov-mueller-returning-to-nhl-next-season/

So he wants to play in the NHL. Me too. I haven't heard of any teams being interested.

I don't know. Playing well in the Swiss league doesn't impress me. If the Rangers wanted to give him a tryout I wouldn't hate it but there are proven NHL players still available. Mueller seems like a last ditch effort if nothing else works out this summer, not a we have to sign him kind of player.

Puck Head
07-02-2014, 05:27 PM

Yes
Then make move for 3rd line vet at deadline of need be, (typically the type of players avail).

Future
07-02-2014, 08:30 PM
Vrbata!
Vrbata is a sniper, and that's it. Pouliot did a lot of the dirty work. You won't get any of that from Vrbtaa.

RangersFan
07-02-2014, 08:39 PM
So he wants to play in the NHL. Me too. I haven't heard of any teams being interested.

I don't know. Playing well in the Swiss league doesn't impress me. If the Rangers wanted to give him a tryout I wouldn't hate it but there are proven NHL players still available. Mueller seems like a last ditch effort if nothing else works out this summer, not a we have to sign him kind of player.

Agreed. Mueller would be a desperation move

Respecttheblue
07-02-2014, 10:32 PM
Ott would be good for this team, make up for any mistakes Glass could potentially make.

He's a combined -38 the last two years, including -12 with a good Blues team, why the sudden slide to minus?

Klein is a solid D fit with a decent price thru '18, not seeing the sense in moving him to create a hole we'd have a hard time filling with a reliable tough defenseman. Like Hagelin, I think he's an asset that's part of the solution, not part of the problem.

This boat has got a bunch of holes in it, left by Pouliot, Richards, Boyle and Stralman. Not looking to create any more hard to fill holes, unless this team really believes a lot of rookies have the poise to play smart playoff hockey [and I love to see rookies get a chance, but not all at once unless we do a complete rebuild...and that's a topic for another thread].

Phil in Absentia
07-02-2014, 10:37 PM
He's a combined -38 the last two years, including -12 with a good Blues team, why the sudden slide to minus?

I can't explain the Blues' drop, but the Sabres had the worst goal differential in the NHL last season (minus-91), and not a single regular player on their roster was a plus player.

Respecttheblue
07-02-2014, 10:52 PM
I can't explain the Blues' drop, but the Sabres had the worst goal differential in the NHL last season (minus-91), and not a single regular player on their roster was a plus player.

Yes, he was not alone among the deep underwater players on the Sabres, he had plenty of company in suck, maybe he'd do better on a better team, but I might prefer to see what JT Miller could do now for a lot less lucre as 3rd line center. I think 20-30 points is within his grasp. I figure Moore has 4th line center locked up and Stepan and Brassard 1&2...unless more worms squirm.

The Dude
07-05-2014, 11:30 AM
Love Ott. Just not a fit. If they add a center it has to be of the top 6 variety.

Miller as the temp/possible full time 2nd/3rd line center seems like the smarter move.

Add a Heatley type on the cheap and see where that goes.

Unless Ott will take a 2 year 2 mill deal and be ok with shifting back and forth to wing and 4 line duties.

Respecttheblue
07-05-2014, 07:09 PM

Both guys are in production and career tailspins. Mueller is post double concussion. That said, I'd almost sooner take flyer on Mueller than Ott — but I'm not all in by any means.

Mueller has averaged 0.48ppg production the last 3 years, Mueller .39 his last NHL season.
Ott has averaged 0.42ppg the last 3 years. Ott was a dismal .28 ppt last season

For reference Pouliot and Hagelin produced at a 0.45 ppg clip
I sometimes think NYR fans tend to lose patience with production much below that unless they are 4th liners.

Mueller's cap hit has declined to $1.75M and Ott is much higher at $2.95M.

FTR, Mueller was about a point a game in Switzerland FWIW, so he might be getting some "game" back. And he's only 26.

But can he handle the hard-hitting NHL game? That's a big question.

You know in the playoffs, if folk think you are vulnerable, they will try to hit you hard, and you probably will get hit hard anyway, and will need to hit hard yourself to be successful. So on that, I'm real wary. I hold my breath every time Marc Staal gets whacked.

However, I just hate the idea of not paying Pouls or Stralman and then going and squandering the $2 million here $2 million there on games of Russian Roulette —*players with huge question marks attached, versus players who've proven they can play and contribute here.

I say fock it, let JT Miller show why we made him a 1st round pick. Let Jesper Fast or Oscar Lindberg have a shot.

Love Ott. Just not a fit. If they add a center it has to be of the top 6 variety.

Miller as the temp/possible full time 2nd/3rd line center seems like the smarter move.

Add a Heatley type on the cheap and see where that goes.

^ so something like this. .. although Heatley is on a steep downslope too. WTF happened to him? Did he just get old at 33 like Brad? ... shit, 2X worse than Brad. 28 pts last season, woah!

Phil in Absentia
07-10-2014, 10:33 AM
:tweet: @Real_ESPNLeBrun: Break from my golf round: hearing Steve Ott has re-signed with the St. Louis Blues....

AmericanJesus
07-10-2014, 10:44 AM
I'm OK with that. Don't think we could spend the kind of money he's probably gotten on the role he'd fill with us. We want 3 scoring lines and a defensive unit.

RichieNextel305
07-10-2014, 11:07 AM
Like others, still intrigued by the idea of adding Booth.

AmericanJesus
07-10-2014, 11:15 AM
:tweet: Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC - Don't know what's out there: but Ott is two years at $2.6M AAV

Ranger Lothbrok
07-10-2014, 03:11 PM
Phew...glad we stayed away. We would've had to move players around just to get under the salary cap if we brought him in, and Ott is just not a player worth removing pieces from the active roster just to accommodate him.