PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed: Rangers Sign [G] Cedrick Desjardins to 2-Year/$1.2M Contract; $600K AAV

Phil in Absentia
07-01-2014, 04:48 PM
:tweet: @NYRangers: #NYR have agreed to terms with free agent goaltender Cedrick Desjardins. Read the full release here: http://t.co/uFp7MMblFZ

--

Assets: Is mobile in the net, with quick, efficient movements side-to-side. Has good butterfly technique and is athletic and acrobatic, but also lets the puck hit him and does a solid job neutralizing it. Shows a lot of resilience.

Flaws: Does not possess great size to fill the net, which hurts his overall potential for the highest level. Will sometimes over-commit to covering the lower half of the net and gets beaten top shelf. Injuries have also been a factor here.

Career Potential: Depth goaltender with a little upside.

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.php?4553

Captain Clutch
07-01-2014, 04:50 PM
Hartford needs goalies

Phil in Absentia
07-01-2014, 05:11 PM
Hartford needs goalies

Yup. Stajcer was not qualified/retained (and was plagued with hip injuries), and I'd imagine Halverson isn't ready for the A yet.

Cash or Czech?
07-01-2014, 06:42 PM
Halverson can't play in the AHL. Skapski, Missiaen and now Desjardins are our only NHL contract goalies (aside from Hank and Talbot). I like this signing. Hartford sucked last season in part due to the revolving door in net. With Desjardins starting and Skapski/Missiaen as the backup, this team should be in a lot more games. AHL playoff experience would be good for some of our younger guys.

Morphinity
07-01-2014, 06:49 PM
This was a bigger day for Hartford than for NYR.

Puck Head
07-01-2014, 07:07 PM
This was a bigger day for Hartford than for NYR.

When a NHL team is signing so many players to fill AHL roster....it gives me bleak hope for our prospect pool

Cash or Czech?
07-01-2014, 07:09 PM
When a NHL team is signing so many players to fill AHL roster....it gives me bleak hope for our prospect pool

All of our good prospects just aren't AHL eligible yet :D

Phil in Absentia
07-01-2014, 07:22 PM

Well, we know why. The Rangers gutted their cupboards of draft picks that would be filling these voids the last three years. Gotta restock somehow.

TwoMinutesForNothing
07-01-2014, 10:33 PM
You need vets in Hartford for sure, we let basically all of ours walk and had a bunch of spots to fill down there. That said, I'm not really a fan of this goalie. He has experience but he just isn't very good.