PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Gorton: Rangers Still Want Forward (Not Necessarily UFA), Center Depth

Phil in Absentia
07-01-2014, 04:26 PM
:tweet: @stevezipay: #NYR asst GM Jeff Gorton: Still looking for F, not necessarily UFA. Leaves door open on using summer cap cushion to go over $69 million.

:tweet: @AGrossRecord: Rangers still need a center past Brassard, Stepan and Dom Moore. AV mentions both JT Miller and Oscar Lindberg as candidates.

--

If they are looking outside free agency, we're likely talking trade, which could play into the idea of moving Klein (again).

I'd like to think the Rangers don't really want to close the door on McIlrath and/or Allen completely anyway, and moving Klein, who still has value, might get them that third-line LW to replace Pouliot, except at a better bargain than the $4M Pouliot ended up at.

RangersFan
07-01-2014, 04:29 PM
Stepan
Brassard
Miller/Lindberg
Moore

that center depth is worse than last year. We cant go into next season with that if we are trying to compete

Morphinity
07-01-2014, 04:30 PM
Stepan
Brassard
Miller/Lindberg
Moore

that center depth is worse than last year. We cant go into next season with that if we are trying to compete

I don't think it's much worse. Richards was not good last year. Miller could probably do what Richards did if he has a good season.

Puck Head
07-01-2014, 04:30 PM
Stepan
Brassard
Miller/Lindberg
Moore

We've known for months not only did Richards have to be bought out, but due to our cap situation, there was very little upgrading to do here.

RangersFan
07-01-2014, 04:31 PM
I don't think it's much worse. Richards was not good last year. Miller could probably do what Richards did if he has a good season.

Maybe but i dont see Miller producing like Richards did. I'll be happy with 30 points from Miller.

Phil in Absentia
07-01-2014, 04:32 PM

I doubt that. Richards still gave you 50 points (20 goals) — 32 of which were at even strength. That's a lot to ask of a rookie Miller, even if you assume the remaining 18 PP points get picked up by Dan Boyle.

RangersFan
07-01-2014, 04:33 PM
We've known for months not only did Richards have to be bought out, but due to our cap situation, there was very little upgrading to do here.

Maybe something can be done to bring in one of these FA centers. Maybe they will come cheap? Roy, Ribeiro? We are trying to win a cup after all

Puck Head
07-01-2014, 04:34 PM
Maybe something can be done to bring in one of these FA centers. Maybe they will come cheap? Roy, Ribeiro? We are trying to win a cup after all

We'd have to let go of Brassard or Zucc to fit them in.

Pete
07-01-2014, 04:36 PM
I doubt that. Richards still gave you 50 points (20 goals) — 32 of which were at even strength. That's a lot to ask of a rookie Miller, even if you assume the remaining 18 PP points get picked up by Dan Boyle.

I think Miller can giv eyou 30 point sin 82 games, with Richard's ice time and linemates.

RangersFan
07-01-2014, 04:36 PM
We'd have to let go of Brassard or Zucc to fit them in.

Could any of them be signed for 3 mil maybe? I just cant see our 4 C's being Step-Brass-Miller-Moore

Phil in Absentia
07-01-2014, 04:37 PM
I think Miller can giv eyou 30 point sin 82 games, with Richard's ice time and linemates.

I mean, maybe. I have him around 20-25 personally. I guess it's closer than I thought, but still, that's still quite a bit of pressure on Miller to perform. The 20 goals aren't going to come there either I don't think.

Pete
07-01-2014, 04:40 PM
I mean, maybe. I have him around 20-25 personally. I guess it's closer than I thought, but still, that's still quite a bit of pressure on Miller to perform. The 20 goals aren't going to come there either I don't think.Kreider paced 21 goals this year, have to think he hits 25. Full year of MSL. Figure 30+ from Nash. This is what I want Vrbata.

RangersFan
07-01-2014, 04:40 PM
I mean, maybe. I have him around 20-25 personally. I guess it's closer than I thought, but still, that's still quite a bit of pressure on Miller to perform. The 20 goals aren't going to come there either I don't think.

Stepan had 45 points in his rookie season without AHL time. It would be great if Miller gets more but i doubt it

AmericanJesus
07-01-2014, 04:41 PM
Out from the start of last year: Callahan, Richards, Stralman, B. Boyle, Pouliot, Del Zotto, Dorsett, Pyatt

We replaced Callahan with MSL. We've replaced Richards on the PP with Boyle and at even strength with Miller/Lindberg or someone else. Boyle also replaces Stralman at ES. We replaced Dorsett with Glass. Klein replaces Del Zotto

So who's actually missing? I won't even waste time discussing Pyatt. That leaves Boyle and Pouliot. We have about $2M to replace both, so we're probably going to have to go with kids unless we move Klein and slot in Allen.

Still think for an AV led team, we're in better shape now than last season. Not to mention hopefully some improvement by guys like Kreider and the playoff experience you can't replicate anywhere.

Phil in Absentia
07-01-2014, 04:42 PM
Kreider paced 21 goals this year, have to think he hits 25. Full year of MSL. Figure 30+ from Nash. This is what I want Vrbata.

Yeah. I'm thinking they definitely need something to replace Pouliot goal-scoring wise.

Stepan had 45 points in his rookie season without AHL time. It would be great if Miller gets more but i doubt it

Higher pedigree with Stepan. Greater success in the NCAA than Miller with the USHL (though he did have a good final draft year in the OHL).

I'd think around 30 points is a realistic expectation.

AmericanJesus
07-01-2014, 04:43 PM
My biggest concern is not being able to bank prorated trade deadline cap space.

Puck Head
07-01-2014, 04:44 PM
Out from the start of last year: Callahan, Richards, Stralman, B. Boyle, Pouliot, Del Zotto, Dorsett, Pyatt

We replaced Callahan with MSL. We've replaced Richards on the PP with Boyle and at even strength with Miller/Lindberg or someone else. Boyle also replaces Stralman at ES. We replaced Dorsett with Glass. Klein replaces Del Zotto

So who's actually missing? I won't even waste time discussing Pyatt. That leaves Boyle and Pouliot. We have about $2M to replace both, so we're probably going to have to go with kids unless we move Klein and slot in Allen.

Still think for an AV led team, we're in better shape now than last season. Not to mention hopefully some improvement by guys like Kreider and the playoff experience you can't replicate anywhere.

Defense is fine, perhaps improved.
Issue is up front.

We have lost Richards, Pouliot, Boyle, Dorsett
And replaced with Tanner Glass and some rookies.

RangersFan
07-01-2014, 04:44 PM
Yeah. I'm thinking they definitely need something to replace Pouliot goal-scoring wise.

Higher pedigree with Stepan. Greater success in the NCAA than Miller with the USHL (though he did have a good final draft year in the OHL).

I'd think around 30 points is a realistic expectation.

30 points is what i'm expecting. Anything more would be great

Pete
07-01-2014, 04:46 PM

You're using the word "replace", not "upgrade".

For example...Yes, DBoyle "replaces" Stralman at ES and Richards on the PP. But, he's a downgrade at ES and we lost a penalty killer.

I just look at the roster, right now, and I don't see how we're as good as the team that just lost in 5 to LA. I mean, we sort of got fucked by the cap, we don't really have money to do anything else, but I don't think we're as good, or better, than last year. So it is what it is. Gotta play the games and see who can over-achieve.

RangersFan
07-01-2014, 04:48 PM
Agree with Pete. We really got fucked by the cap. It would be nice if one of our AHL guys can come in and surprise us

nyr11messier
07-01-2014, 04:50 PM

Richards was not bad in the regular season and actually pretty good at times in the first 3 rounds of the playoffs. The season as longer that just the SCF.

AmericanJesus
07-01-2014, 04:53 PM
Defense is fine, perhaps improved.
Issue is up front.

We have lost Richards, Pouliot, Boyle, Dorsett
And replaced with Tanner Glass and some rookies.

Sure, but we also have a full year of MSL over Callahan which should be a decent upgrade up front. We're going to need a couple/few rookies to step up. We've had that happen each season going back since we started to be a competitive team. Over the past four seasons (since 10/11) the following started their NHL careers:

Stepan, MZA, McDonagh, Kreider, Hagelin, J. Moore, JT Miller and Cam Talbot.

About 1/3 of our team and 2 a year on average.

Puck Head
07-01-2014, 04:54 PM
Richards was not bad in the regular season and actually pretty good at times in the first 3 rounds of the playoffs. The season as longer that just the SCF.

Mmm, Richards was good in the Phili series
Not much at all after that

Morphinity
07-01-2014, 04:54 PM

He still wasn't good - he ended with 50 points. He had a good start and fizzled out, same with the playoffs - good in the Philly series and not much after that (the game winner in game 7 vs. PIT).

AmericanJesus
07-01-2014, 04:55 PM

For example...Yes, DBoyle "replaces" Stralman at ES and Richards on the PP. But, he's a downgrade at ES and we lost a penalty killer.

I just look at the roster, right now, and I don't see how we're as good as the team that just lost in 5 to LA. I mean, we sort of got fucked by the cap, we don't really have money to do anything else, but I don't think we're as good, or better, than last year. So it is what it is. Gotta play the games and see who can over-achieve.

Sure, but we weren't as good a team as we were in the playoffs before the trade deadline either. We'll need some rookies to step up (like they have each of the past 4 seasons) and we'll need guys to improve, plus we'll need to make some smart moves at the deadline. Getting back to the Stanley Cup Finals isn't going to be easy. But we've got the tools here with some tweaks.

Thump23
07-01-2014, 04:58 PM
I don't think they're done making moves and who knows what happens at the deadline next season. Losing Richards was expected and Miller 'should' be able to anchor the third line if he matures a bit. Replacing Pouliot's production is going to be tricky though. And will his departure negatively impact Zuk and Brassard? That was a solid line.

RangersFan
07-01-2014, 05:02 PM
I don't think they're done making moves and who knows what happens at the deadline next season. Losing Richards was expected and Miller 'should' be able to anchor the third line if he matures a bit. Replacing Pouliot's production is going to be tricky though. And will his departure negatively impact Zuk and Brassard? That was a solid line.

I think Pouliot losing Zucc and Brass will negatively impact Pouliot

Thump23
07-01-2014, 05:11 PM
I think Pouliot losing Zucc and Brass will negatively impact Pouliot

Probably, but no one in their right mind turns down that offer. I'm sure Pouliot thought his agent was fucking with him when he told him. Edmonton has talent though, who knows how it shakes out.

Pete
07-01-2014, 05:13 PM
I have an awful feeling that we're getting Heatley.

They moved Dorsett to clear #15 for him...

RangersFan
Probably, but no one in their right mind turns down that offer. I'm sure Pouliot thought his agent was fucking with him when he told him. Edmonton has talent though, who knows how it shakes out.

Screw the offer, my point was that i think Pouliot was a passenger on that line. He wasnt responsible for their success

RangersFan
I have an awful feeling that we're getting Heatley.

They moved Dorsett to clear #15 for him...

We all know where i stand on this lol

Pete
07-01-2014, 05:16 PM
Screw the offer, my point was that i think Pouliot was a passenger on that line. He wasnt responsible for their success

That's not really true. He did all the little things that don't get on the scoresheet. He was a big body who finished every check and caused a lot of turnovers, he hunted down pucks, and he was the presence in front of the net. He knew how to play with those guys. You can't just slap anyone on that line and think they'll give you what Pouliot did. If that's the case, let's put Glass there.

I don't care what happens to Pouliot, now (good luck to him), I care about our team and it's not going to be as easy as some people think to replace him.

Phil in Absentia
07-01-2014, 05:19 PM
Pouliot was not a passenger on that line. He was the weakest of the three forwards, but he was still 1/3 of the Rangers' best offensive unit as a line.

That needs to be replaced, somehow. That's why I'm hoping for something like a Klein trade for that 2/3 cost-controlled forward.

What team missed out on the UFA defenders today? Target them to see if there's a decent offensive fit for us where they could use Klein on their blue line.

Colarado for Jamie McGinn?

RangersFan
07-01-2014, 05:23 PM
Pouliot was not a passenger on that line. He was the weakest of the three forwards, but he was still 1/3 of the Rangers' best offensive unit as a line.

That needs to be replaced, somehow. That's why I'm hoping for something like a Klein trade for that 2/3 cost-controlled forward.

What team missed out on the UFA defenders today? Target them to see if there's a decent offensive fit for us where they could use Klein on their blue line.

Abdelkader from Detroit? Maybe sign a cheap LW? Penner?

Phil in Absentia
07-01-2014, 05:24 PM
Abdelkader from Detroit? Maybe sign a cheap LW? Penner?

Detroit actually makes some sense too.

Abdelkader makes sense, though he's listed at RW, so I'd want to be sure he can play LW successfully before pulling the trigger on that kind of deal.

Winter
07-01-2014, 05:27 PM

Maybe Eakin...Stars have Segiun, Spezza, Garbutt, Horcoff, Sceviour going to be on the NHL roster most likely and Eakin is a current RFA. but they'd likely not be willing to do it for just Klein and they would likely want Spezza extended before trading him

Cash or Czech?
07-01-2014, 06:47 PM
I can never remember, does the coaching staff prefer Miller as a center or on the wing?

ThirtyONE
07-01-2014, 07:26 PM
IMO, we let Brian Boyle go for 2m and we signed a bunch of scrubs (Dan Boyle aside). Would it really have been that painful to promote B. Boyle to 3rd line for half the season and see if he can handle it?

I'm just scratching my head at the names we picked up and the positions they play. Makes no sense to me, honestly.

AmericanJesus
07-01-2014, 07:36 PM
IMO, we let Brian Boyle go for 2m and we signed a bunch of scrubs (Dan Boyle aside). Would it really have been that painful to promote B. Boyle to 3rd line for half the season and see if he can handle it?

I'm just scratching my head at the names we picked up and the positions they play. Makes no sense to me, honestly.

Boyle would have needed more money to stay. Higher taxes and higher cost of living. His new bride is also from Tampa so that could have played into it as well. It was reported that he had other higher offers than Tampa.

Other than Glass, the other signings were either a 7th defender or for the AHL.

Lt. Dan
07-01-2014, 07:37 PM

Throw Tanner Glass into the "wtf" column too. I would have given Boyle the money and tried him out at 3C.

Pete
07-01-2014, 07:38 PM

It makes perfect sense. We have no money.

ThirtyONE
07-01-2014, 07:38 PM
Boyle would have needed more money to stay. Higher taxes and higher cost of living. His new bride is also from Tampa so that could have played into it as well. It was reported that he had other higher offers than Tampa.

Other than Glass, the other signings were either a 7th defender or for the AHL.

the guy scored 20 goals once with a bigger role, why not see if he can do it again? For two years? For two million? I mean if he couldn't hack it, you can trade him easily at that price. I don't get it. Both of our players were the cheapest options and instead both walk.

ThirtyONE
07-01-2014, 07:40 PM
It makes perfect sense. We have no money.

Of course! Which is why I'm scratching my head at the money we spent to day! Stralman was cheaper than Dan Boyle and Brian Boyle would have been our cheepest option at 3 line center without hoping for the best on Lindberg or Miller.

Cash or Czech?
07-01-2014, 07:41 PM
Miller or Lindberg have better chances at being offensively successful than Boyle when playing with skilled players.

Phil in Absentia
07-01-2014, 07:42 PM
Couple of UFA LW options who can probably be had at bargain rates, similar to how Pouliot was brought in, as a means to replace Pouliot: David Booth, Dany Heatley, Ville Leino and Dustin Penner.

I'm thinking like $1M a year on all four of them, all on a one-year, show-me deal.

ThirtyONE
07-01-2014, 07:44 PM
Couple of UFA LW options who can probably be had at bargain rates, similar to how Pouliot was brought in, as a means to replace Pouliot: David Booth, Dany Heatley, Ville Leino and Dustin Penner.

I'm thinking like $1M a year on all four of them, all on a one-year, show-me deal.

I think you can cross Penner off that list. He's too slow for this team. Th other names, I'd take a flyer.

Phil in Absentia
07-01-2014, 07:46 PM
I think you can cross Penner off that list. He's too slow for this team. Th other names, I'd take a flyer.

I'm thinking Leino might actually be someone they should look at. Booth too, maybe. I'd stay away from Heatley and Penner — neither has NHL legs IMO. Least of all for the type of team AV wants. Speed is the name of the game, so whoever is coming in has to be able to move. Booth and Leino can.

Pete
07-01-2014, 07:47 PM
Of course! Which is why I'm scratching my head at the money we spent to day! Stralman was cheaper than Dan Boyle and Brian Boyle would have been our cheepest option at 3 line center without hoping for the best on Lindberg or Miller.

Stralman got the same 4.5 Boyle got. Boyle isn't a 3rd line player, IMO.

ThirtyONE
07-01-2014, 07:48 PM
I'm thinking Leino might actually be someone they should look at. Booth too, maybe. I'd stay away from Heatley and Penner — neither has NHL legs IMO. Least of all for the type of team AV wants. Speed is the name of the game, so whoever is coming in has to be able to move. Booth and Leino can.

Yeah. They're both soft little twink types which I don't love but it is what it is.

Pete
07-01-2014, 07:49 PM
I'm thinking Leino might actually be someone they should look at. Booth too, maybe. I'd stay away from Heatley and Penner neither has NHL legs IMO. Least of all for the type of team AV wants. Speed is the name of the game, so whoever is coming in has to be able to move. Booth and Leino can.

I'd look at Booth. Not Leino.

AmericanJesus
07-01-2014, 08:10 PM
the guy scored 20 goals once with a bigger role, why not see if he can do it again? For two years? For two million? I mean if he couldn't hack it, you can trade him easily at that price. I don't get it. Both of our players were the cheapest options and instead both walk.

He wouldn't have taken $2m for two years. The taxes in NY take $160k of that plus the higher cost of living. And you don't let players dictate their role with their words. The coach makes those decisions based on their play. Boyle could have had a bigger role, all he had to do was earn it.

Pete
07-01-2014, 08:12 PM
I think you guys are making way to much of the tax issue. Boyle would have taken less to be a third line here than in Tampa. AV didn't want him in that role.

AmericanJesus
07-01-2014, 08:13 PM
Not sure what either wants but I'd be looking at Vrbata first, Mueller second. And yes I know we'd have to move Klein to likely fit either.

momentum
07-01-2014, 08:13 PM

You can still upgrade with the right trade, but it means letting go of some names ppl don't like to mention in trade scenarios such as Stepan and Staal for example.

Phil in Absentia
07-01-2014, 08:14 PM
I think you guys are making way to much of the tax issue. Boyle would have taken less to be a third line here than in Tampa. AV didn't want him in that role.

For good reason — he never succeeded in it. Slow feet and hands that only show up in April, May and June.

He's a great team mate and a good player, but he's clearly a fourth-line player in this league.

Phil in Absentia
07-01-2014, 08:15 PM
Not sure what either wants but I'd be looking at Vrbata first, Mueller second. And yes I know we'd have to move Klein to likely fit either.

Vrbata is a RW, though, so with him, you'd be moving Zuccarello (who found success at RW most if not all of the year) back to LW to accommodate him.

I like him, but that is an issue worth noting.

Mueller was a center, but does he play LW?

RichieNextel305
07-01-2014, 08:19 PM
I'd be okay with Heatley or Booth on cheap 1-year deals.

AmericanJesus
07-01-2014, 08:22 PM
Vrbata is a RW, though, so with him, you'd be moving Zuccarello (who found success at RW most if not all of the year) back to LW to accommodate him.

I like him, but that is an issue worth noting.

Mueller was a center, but does he play LW?

Well, no way to really tell how moving Pouliot off that line is going to affect it. The chemistry was three players that complimented each other. So moving MZA back to the left should be OK. He floats a lot anyway. Mueller has played both center and left wing.

Edit: Here's are references to him playing left wing:

http://www.rotowire.com/hockey/player.htm?id=2559
http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2010/12/02/peter-mueller-update-not-too-good/5294/
http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2012/07/13/peter-mueller-florida-avs-regret-departure-fleischmanns/11113/

torontonyr
07-01-2014, 08:23 PM
I think we go for Thornton tbh. It solidifies too many things to avoid. We need a center & he has strong chemistry/history with MSL, Boyle & more importantly Nash.

ThirtyONE
07-01-2014, 08:29 PM
I think we go for Thornton tbh. It solidifies too many things to avoid. We need a center & he has strong chemistry/history with MSL, Boyle & more importantly Nash.

Who do we move for him? We're not swimming in assets.

RangersFan
07-01-2014, 08:31 PM
How do people expect to get Thornton here?

Ranger Lothbrok
07-01-2014, 08:40 PM
How do people expect to get Thornton here?

With a combination of rainbows, unicorns, pots of gold and just a hint of pixie dust.

LyNX
07-01-2014, 08:40 PM
Who do we move for him? We're not swimming in assets.

Brassard/Hags... And then we drown in Salary Cap hell till the sun stops spinning.

torontonyr
07-01-2014, 08:55 PM
With a combination of rainbows, unicorns, pots of gold and just a hint of pixie dust.

Yes, because it's impossible.

RangersFan
07-01-2014, 09:01 PM
Brassard/Hags... And then we drown in Salary Cap hell till the sun stops spinning.

I dont think Hagelin should be traded, no thanks.

josh
07-01-2014, 09:18 PM

Are you comparing to the team that lost in 5, or the team you saw on paper last season. Two different things.

I also see small improvements with minimal loss.

Respecttheblue
07-01-2014, 09:19 PM
Agree with Pete. We really got fucked by the cap. It would be nice if one of our AHL guys can come in and surprise us

:cheers: to that

And that, too

Heavens no. Hags, apart from being clutch in the playoffs, is the pointy end of the spear when it comes to the speed assault, and combined with kreider he helps us keep enemies back on their heels,

... but we're going to need others to step up to fill the void. I think Miller can help —*and I'd like for him to be part of the solution as he plays a hard nosed game in addition to other qualities — but whether he can help as much as we need is another thing.

No matter the, er, hype ;) I am not buying into the Tanner Glass signing as a fit, but I guess it might be a Wash. I grew to like Dorsett's hustle in the playoffs. He was only -2 despite facing top tier opposition.

http://passittobulis.blogspot.com/2011/01/tanner-glass-fighting-bears.html

Mike Kostka looks ripe for a surprise. A scrub on the sudden upswing. Maybe defensive insurance. We have enough forwards who can't manage 9 points in 18 games, so this is a pleasant surprise out of a D-man, presumably a puck-moving type, during his last recent stint with the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Mueller and Desjardins seem like savvy AHL pickups, and Mueller can win face-offs. Maybe Mueller backfills in the AHL for callups Lindberg or Miller, but either way Slats and Gorton have been busy beavers restocking beleaguered Hartford with some folk who at least have played some NHL games (and I don't mean Kampfer or Hunwick).

LyNX
07-01-2014, 09:24 PM

Agreed it's just that as far as moveable assets, we don't have a ton. It was an "argument's sake" comment, not a suggestion.

Puck Head
07-01-2014, 11:08 PM
You can still upgrade with the right trade, but it means letting go of some names ppl don't like to mention in trade scenarios such as Stepan and Staal for example.

But any upgrade brings back cap hit that we can't afford.
It's not Stepan plus picks prospects for Thornton.

It's Stepan, picks, prospect, and we have to let Brassard or Zucc walk, (to fit in cap hit).

Pete
07-01-2014, 11:26 PM
Are you comparing to the team that lost in 5, or the team you saw on paper last season. Two different things.

I also see small improvements with minimal loss.

You undervalue a lot of guys, though.

We improve the power play and take a large step back at even strength and PK.

RangersFan
07-01-2014, 11:28 PM
You undervalue a lot of guys, though.

We improve the power play and take a large step back at even strength and PK.

And we might take a step back on defense too.

TwoMinutesForNothing
07-01-2014, 11:45 PM
Dany Fuckin Healtley. Fuckin All Star.

BlueJay
07-01-2014, 11:56 PM
Lotta turnover here but, it is what it is. We have to concentrate on the most important players to the team, not those who deem themselves more important than the team.

The Prusts, Callys, Boyles and even Stralman there, greedy.

Still scratching my head with Pouly, thought he finally found a home here and he leaves for Edm?

TwoMinutesForNothing
07-02-2014, 12:04 AM
Here's a list that ranks the remaining forwards in some way that is seemingly important.

http://www.extraskater.com/players/dashboard?ufa=True&pos=F

TwoMinutesForNothing
07-02-2014, 12:09 AM
Ok so anyone know what this stat is that it's ranking and how it's calculated? Because according to it, Tanner Glass is the worst player on the Earth.

http://www.extraskater.com/players/dashboard?page=9&pos=P

Pete
07-02-2014, 12:13 AM
Ok so anyone know what this stat is that it's ranking and how it's calculated? Because according to it, Tanner Glass is the worst player on the Earth.

http://www.extraskater.com/players/dashboard?page=9&pos=P

Basically, it means when Glass is out there, his team doesn't have the puck a lot and gives up a lot of shots against.

TwoMinutesForNothing
07-02-2014, 12:16 AM
Basically, it means when Glass is out there, his team doesn't have the puck a lot and gives up a lot of shots against.

Ok, that's bad but not that bad. The bottom line on the Pens was awful most of the time so that makes sense.

RangersFan
07-02-2014, 12:16 AM
I think those stats are all bullshit

Johnnydollaz18
07-02-2014, 12:18 AM
Here's a list that ranks the remaining forwards in some way that is seemingly important.

http://www.extraskater.com/players/dashboard?ufa=True&pos=F

Cheap deal, why not take a chance on Ribiero?!

Pete
07-02-2014, 12:22 AM
I think those stats are all bullshit

They are helpful when used in the proper context. They don't tell the whole story, but are helpful in solidifying certain other stats and what your eyeballs tell you.

RangersFan
07-02-2014, 12:22 AM
They are helpful when used in the proper context. They don't tell the whole story, but are helpful in solidifying certain other stats.

True

TwoMinutesForNothing
07-02-2014, 02:26 AM
So what's Olli Jokinen gonna get? I know he's a center but he's a shoot-first goal scorer who thrives with playmakers and he's a big body. Seems ideal to play with Brass and Zuke. Maybe shift him to the wing or move Brass to the wing since he's weak on draws and Olli is good at them.

Steven.
07-02-2014, 02:27 AM
I kind of really want Joe Thornton.

Make it be, Slats.

Steven.
07-02-2014, 02:28 AM
So what's Olli Jokinen gonna get? I know he's a center but he's a shoot-first goal scorer who thrives with playmakers and he's a big body. Seems ideal to play with Brass and Zuke. Maybe shift him to the wing or move Brass to the wing since he's weak on draws and Olli is good at them.

One word:

No.

TwoMinutesForNothing
07-02-2014, 02:32 AM
One word:

No.

He's coming off a 43 point season. If he can be had for $2 mil then it's better than Heatley, which is who we are actually going to end up with.

Steven.
07-02-2014, 02:35 AM
He's coming off a 43 point season. If he can be had for $2 mil then it's better than Heatley, which is who we are actually going to end up with.

I'll go with neither.

Olli may be a decent option on paper, but I am NOT ready to revisit that.

I'd rather flip Klein for a pick and use the extra space to sign Grabovski. Or just trade for a forward. Maybe a guy like Jeremy Morin who is being squeezed out in Chicago. Big, right handed LW. Would be an ideal replacement for Pouliot.

TwoMinutesForNothing
07-02-2014, 03:13 AM
I'll go with neither.

Olli may be a decent option on paper, but I am NOT ready to revisit that.

I'd rather flip Klein for a pick and use the extra space to sign Grabovski. Or just trade for a forward. Maybe a guy like Jeremy Morin who is being squeezed out in Chicago. Big, right handed LW. Would be an ideal replacement for Pouliot.

I wouldn't mind Morin at all. He produces at every opportunity and he did thrive with Stepan when they won the WJC so he could possibly even work there with Kreider going to line 2 with Brass and Zuc.

RangersFan
07-02-2014, 03:17 AM
Olli Jokinen brings back bad memories, no thanks.

Steven.
07-02-2014, 03:28 AM
I wouldn't mind Morin at all. He produces at every opportunity and he did thrive with Stepan when they won the WJC so he could possibly even work there with Kreider going to line 2 with Brass and Zuc.

I would happily move one of our 2nds next year to acquire him.

Slobberknocker
07-02-2014, 09:52 AM
great thread.

while i'd like to see a move made for a good 1c, i figure this might be damn near impossible at the moment. Nothing wrong with running the camp and seeing if we have some growth from our youth that can hold us over for the early part of the season.

that guy Morin though looks intriguing to me.

Pete
07-02-2014, 10:01 AM
I would happily move one of our 2nds next year to acquire him.

Same, he's got a ton of potential and a knock for scoring goals, even if he isn't a guy with the best tools.

Phil in Absentia
07-02-2014, 10:14 AM
Morin sounds like a great idea, but what's their cap situation look like — is this more of a give-up-a-draft-pick type move to get him, or more along the lines of trading Klein for him?

Slobberknocker
07-02-2014, 10:23 AM
reading morin's wiki page and he seemed to have been yoyo'd quite a bit between the big club and the ahl, a bit like some of our guys.

BlueJay
07-02-2014, 10:29 AM
This all harks back to why we signed BR back then, we're right back where we started.

So currently, we have one guy who can win faceoffs?

Morphinity
07-02-2014, 10:35 AM
This all harks back to why we signed BR back then, we're right back where we started.

So currently, we have one guy who can win faceoffs?

That's not really new. Brassard and Stepan are both terrible and Richards was unreliable at best. Moore is our best faceoff man. Losing Boyle, who can win faceoffs, is really the only change from status quo but he played wing a bunch last year.

Steven.
07-02-2014, 10:46 AM
Morin sounds like a great idea, but what's their cap situation look like — is this more of a give-up-a-draft-pick type move to get him, or more along the lines of trading Klein for him?

They're currently over the cap. So they likely wouldn't want any contracts in return.

Phil in Absentia
07-02-2014, 11:05 AM
They're currently over the cap. So they likely wouldn't want any contracts in return.

That kinda... sucks. I really, really, really am sick of giving up draft picks (any picks — not just first-rounders) in deals.

Pete
07-02-2014, 11:07 AM
That kinda... sucks. I really, really, really am sick of giving up draft picks (any picks — not just first-rounders) in deals.

We can move prospects for him. He only played 24 games for them last year, he's already 23, and they have about 10 wingers they apparently like better than him.

Steven.
07-02-2014, 11:09 AM

Yeah, so am I - but, this is a young kid who will hopefully be here for more than just a year or two, so, in the end, it could be a steal.

Slobberknocker
07-02-2014, 11:24 AM
i take it this is all conjecture on our part regarding morin right? sort of a '' hopes and dreams'' thread.

Pete
07-02-2014, 11:25 AM
i take it this is all conjecture on our part regarding morin right? sort of a '' hopes and dreams'' thread.

Correct.

!br-avery!
07-02-2014, 01:15 PM
Fuck that
No thanks ,I can't see him playing in av's system,he's not exactly fleet of foot