PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed: Rangers Sign [D] Matt Hunwick to 1-Year/$600K Contract; $600K AAV

CreaseCrusader91
07-01-2014, 04:16 PM
:tweet:‏@TSNBobMcKenzie: NYR sign Matt Hunwick to one year deal worth $600K

Captain Clutch
07-01-2014, 04:23 PM
Minor league deal

pws85nyr
07-01-2014, 05:28 PM
Can somebody just clarify for me, if this guy is on a one way deal he has to pass through waivers before he can play in the minors right? Two way, like Kampfer, means he can freely move between the two? Just wondered why this wasn't a two way deal but my knowledge is limited.

Phil in Absentia
07-01-2014, 05:30 PM
Can somebody just clarify for me, if this guy is on a one way deal he has to pass through waivers before he can play in the minors right? Two way, like Kampfer, means he can freely move between the two? Just wondered why this wasn't a two way deal but my knowledge is limited.

No. One-way contracts mean the players' salary is the same in the AHL as it is in the NHL. Two-way contracts mean that the players' salary in the AHL is less (usually drastically less) in the AHL than in the NHL.

Waivers are determined by games played, regardless of contract type.

AmericanJesus
07-01-2014, 05:40 PM
No. One-way contracts mean the players' salary is the same in the AHL as it is in the NHL. Two-way contracts mean that the players' salary in the AHL is less (usually drastically less) in the AHL than in the NHL.

Waivers are determined by games played, regardless of contract type.

I don't believe this is entirely true. There is a number of games, but also number of years. According to capgeek, which has a waiver calculator on every player page, he was only exempt until 3 pro years or 60 NHL games. He's at 7 pro years (AHL counts). So he would have to pass through waivers to send him down.

pws85nyr
07-01-2014, 05:44 PM
Cool thanks, makes sense now. Has to go through waivers due to number of season/games played, but paid an NHL salary in the AHL.

Hartford are looking better this year FYI, younger, more structured (Hunwick LD, Kampfer RD, Mueller C to replace Newbury (and JT) finally). Will help the likes of Duclair & Haggerty etc hopefully.

Phil in Absentia
07-01-2014, 05:44 PM
I don't believe this is entirely true. There is a number of games, but also number of years. According to capgeek, which has a waiver calculator on every player page, he was only exempt until 3 pro years or 60 NHL games. He's at 7 pro years (AHL counts). So he would have to pass through waivers to send him down.

Sure, that's true. I'm just saying that contract type is not relevant to waivers regardless. One-way/two-way deals speak only to salary. They affect nothing else.

Cash or Czech?
07-01-2014, 06:40 PM
Cool thanks, makes sense now. Has to go through waivers due to number of season/games played, but paid an NHL salary in the AHL.

Hartford are looking better this year FYI, younger, more structured (Hunwick LD, Kampfer RD, Mueller C to replace Newbury (and JT) finally). Will help the likes of Duclair & Haggerty etc hopefully.

Duclair won't be in the AHL next season, but I agree regarding Haggerty, Kristo, Fast and Lindberg etc.

Slobberknocker
07-02-2014, 09:09 AM
this thread is why i love this site. point me to a main stream media site that would ever explain the details of this type of action.

the only time would it come into play is if the player was brought up, did well and than was sent down and promptly claimed. Only than would you hear about it cause the hacks that write for the mainstream papers would explain it to you while they killed sather over his stupidity.

Morphinity
07-03-2014, 01:25 PM
:tweet: @capgeek
#NYRangers deals for Chris Mueller/Matt Hunwick are also one way.

--

Motherfucker.

TwoMinutesForNothing
07-03-2014, 01:30 PM
:tweet: @capgeek
#NYRangers deals for Chris Mueller/Matt Hunwick are also one way.

--

Motherfucker.

What does it matter?

TwoMinutesForNothing
10-27-2014, 10:06 PM
Will he keep this up? Is he playing way above his head right now or have we found another diamond in the rough like Stralman who has suddenly turned a corner in his career? Maybe he's just a great fit for the system. He has a very similar skill set to Stralman but I still need to see if he can battle the same way in the corners.

Not to continue to harp on Corsi, but that was a major part of the basis for Stralman's value this offseason. Thus far Hunwick is at a Stralman level of 57%, however his career average is 48%. It would be huge if he could keep this up.

Phil in Absentia
10-27-2014, 10:08 PM
And the Lightning were riding it, successfully, by pairing him with Hedman on the top pairing, so there's some merit to it, as there is with all CORSI cases (when context is applied).

He's definitely turned a corner compared to the player he was coming out of camp. He had a really, really rough go of things early on with Kostka, Moore and Klein, all of whom were being rotated all over the D line-up because of how poorly they were all playing.

Keirik
10-27-2014, 10:37 PM
He certainly has looked good the last couple of games. Here's to hoping he keeps this up and makes it impossible to keep him out of the lineup.

AmericanJesus
10-28-2014, 07:56 AM
Hunwick's skill set is a good match for the style we play. That probably helps him be the best he can be. And that's been a solid defender who makes a good first pass and uses his speed to get out of trouble. When we get healthy, Moore's spot may be gone if Hunwick keeps up his current play.