PDA

View Full Version : Will the Rangers Address the Need for a First-Line Center?

jrc64
07-01-2014, 04:03 PM
With Spezza off the board, I'm wondering how we will address the need for that big first line center? I'm thinking a trade for Thornton may be on the way. For the most part, I'm happy with the moves we made today, but I can't help but think how LA exploited our lack of a big time center.

RangersFan
07-01-2014, 04:07 PM
We lost in the cup finals because we couldnt score on the PP

momentum
07-01-2014, 04:08 PM
Sadly, it's our huge weakness but probably won't be addressed. The money left is required to resign players we already have. It would require Slats to pull a slick trade out if his hat but I think they will just go with a 2a and 2b in Stepan and Brassard and just hope for the best.

Morphinity
07-01-2014, 04:09 PM
It will cost too much to address it. I don't think we're at the "at all costs" stage yet. Let's see if Stepan can be good for more than half a season and if Brassard can step up and earn the money he's going to make.

Puck Head
07-01-2014, 04:09 PM
With Spezza off the board, I'm wondering how we will address the need for that big first line center? I'm thinking a trade for Thornton may be on the way. For the most part, I'm happy with the moves we made today, but I can't help but think how LA exploited our lack of a big time center.

To get Thornton we'd have to have major salary going the other way.
Think MSL or Nash.

josh
07-01-2014, 04:12 PM
It's not a huge weakness. If Miller is TJ Turnover, then we need to upgrade either Stepan or Brassard. I would like to see similar C brought in (3-5m, a potential 1b/2a Center, 40+ points, etc).

Our strength was the offensive depth. We don't need Spezza or Thornton to make St Louis better, but we need someone that St Louis can make better, to ensure that line is producing.

jrc64
07-01-2014, 04:12 PM
Sadly, it's our huge weakness but probably won't be addressed. The money left is required to resign players we already have. It would require Slats to pull a slick trade out if his hat but I think they will just go with a 2a and 2b in Stepan and Brassard and just hope for the best.

I really don't like the sound of that at all. I wouldn't be suprised to see Brassard moved as part of a package for Thornton. At the very least, our PP should be more productive with the addition of Boyle.

Morphinity
07-01-2014, 04:13 PM
To get Thornton we'd have to have major salary going the other way.
Think MSL or Nash.

Right, and that addresses one issue, but creates another.

Puck Head
07-01-2014, 04:14 PM
Right, and that addresses one issue, but creates another.

Yep.

RangersFan
07-01-2014, 04:15 PM
I doube we make a move for Thornton, who would we trade?