PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed: Rangers Sign [D] Dan Boyle to 2-Year/$9M Contract; $4.5M AAV

Phil in Absentia
07-01-2014, 12:41 PM
:tweet: @NYP_Brooksie: Post has learned Rangers have signed Dan Boyle to two year deal worth $9M

:tweet: @NYP_Brooksie: Told that Boyle left a significant amount of $ on table to sign with Rangers. Always encouraging sign.

:tweet: @Real_ESPNLeBrun: Dan Boyle left a lot of money on the table elsewhere, really wanted to be with Rangers

:tweet: @KatieStrangESPN: The Rangers land veteran Dman Dan Boyle. Good fit. Fills defensive need and can play point on PP. 2 yrs, $9 million. No-move clause included

Drew a Penalty
07-01-2014, 12:42 PM
:tweet:‏@NYP_Brooksie Post has learned Rangers have signed Dan Boyle to two year deal worth $9M

Not sure how I feel about this.

G1000
07-01-2014, 12:43 PM
Eh. Can't hurt. Dude can still bring it.

Pete
:tweet:Larry Brooks: Told that Boyle left a significant amount of $ on table to sign with Rangers. Always encouraging sign.

Thump23
Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie 35s
Told that Boyle left a significant amount of $ on table to sign with Rangers. Always encouraging sign.

BlueJay
Stralmans nuts just got twisted.

RichieNextel305
07-01-2014, 12:44 PM
Don't mind it at all. Finally have an offensive defenseman.

CCCP
07-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Not liking this. His D isnt all that great.

Pete
At least it's only 2 years. Hope there's not a NMC.

Thump23
Is he the one who knocked Nash silly at the beginning of the season?

Drew a Penalty
Stralmans nuts just got twisted.

Not really. If it's true that he declined a $4M deal this is his loss. He got a nice offer for a player who doesn't offer more than defense at tis point in his career.

Karan
I can live with it given it's only 2 years.

josh
A bit more than I wanted to spend on him. Glad its only 2 years.

Chizz
07-01-2014, 12:46 PM
That all but decides Brian Boyles fate. Can't have 2 Boyles. It'll drive Sam crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jules
07-01-2014, 12:47 PM
I really dig this deal. A veteran offensive D-man whose skill set offers several things we needed. He's a 2nd pairing player and a great PP QB.

I was expecting to pay these $4.5M to Stralman, but I can agree with signing Boyle. When his deal is up, maybe Skjei will be ready.

josh
07-01-2014, 12:47 PM
At least your Boyle jerseys are still relevant!

G1000
07-01-2014, 12:49 PM
Wonder who gets #22 if BriBrows comes back.

AmericanJesus
07-01-2014, 12:51 PM
Like this deal. Would have preferred it at 1 year, but he's still got some left in the tank. Should really help our PP and we've got a couple options on the right side at ES if we need to limit his minutes.

Phil in Absentia
07-01-2014, 12:51 PM
:tweet: @KatieStrangESPN: The Rangers land veteran Dman Dan Boyle. Good fit. Fills defensive need and can play point on PP. 2 yrs, $9 million. No-move clause included

Pete rage in 3, 2, 1...

phillyb™
07-01-2014, 12:52 PM
came here to post exactly that ^ lol

AmericanJesus
07-01-2014, 12:52 PM
:tweet: Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 2m Dan Boyle left a lot of money on the table elsewhere, really wanted to be with 2004 Tampa North Rangers

RichieNextel305
07-01-2014, 12:53 PM
Katie Strang
The Rangers land veteran Dman Dan Boyle. Good fit. Fills defensive need and can play point on PP. 2 yrs, $9 million. No-move clause included

pellman800
07-01-2014, 12:56 PM
Not too worried about a no-movement clause in a short-term contract like this.

Ranger Lothbrok
07-01-2014, 12:57 PM
Eh, could be worse. He doesn't need to play huge minutes to QB our powerplay, and it's worth it for that alone. Right-handed shot, which we desperately needed. Don't like the money, and I would've preferred a 1 year deal, but c'est la vie. One way or another, with Stralman leaving we needed to get another d-man somewhere. We could've done worse than Boyle IMO.

Niko
07-01-2014, 01:03 PM
Am I the only one that would have rather signed Stralman for 4 long term than a 37 year old Boyle for 4.5?

AmericanJesus
07-01-2014, 01:04 PM
Basically everyone commenting on this deal on twitter are calling it a good signing. I agree.

josh
07-01-2014, 01:05 PM
Am I the only one that would have rather signed Stralman for 4 long term than a 37 year old Boyle for 4.5?

I don't think 4m would get you Stralman long-term.

Vodka Drunkenski
07-01-2014, 01:05 PM
Not bad, not great

AmericanJesus
07-01-2014, 01:06 PM

Yes. Stralman is more of what we have. To lock him up long term at more than we can afford without improving anything would have been problematic. And with the dollars we are seeing flying around, Stralman may end up with $5M+. We don't have anything like Boyle and if all he does is replace Richards on the PP (and maybe even improve on it) and fill a 6th D roll, that'd be fine.

Morphinity
Maybe our powerplay will not suck tremendously next year?

Myusername
I'll take it. He's a bit over the hill, but he has a booming shot (scored 12 last season) and I think will make our PP formidable.

JOHN
I hate the NMC, but otherwise I'm okay with this. Money is about right and maybe we will finally have a guy who can play the point and hold a puck in.

Phil in Absentia
07-01-2014, 01:07 PM
The NMC is why he left money on the table. It's a form of currency in this NHL.

Vodka Drunkenski
07-01-2014, 01:08 PM
Actually the more I think about t, the more it's a more than good signing. Maybe a little much but fuck, we're in a win now mode with Lundqvist., 2 years to potentially drastically improve our PP...I'm for it.

phillyb™
07-01-2014, 01:08 PM

this!
this could work out really well for us

Morphinity
07-01-2014, 01:12 PM
Actually the more I think about t, the more it's a more than good signing. Maybe a little much but fuck, we're in a win now mode with Lundqvist., 2 years to potentially drastically improve our PP...I'm for it.

That and it takes a lot of pressure off McDonagh to be THE offensive guy on the PP. We also finally have two threats on the back end.

I like it, but the money is a bit high. Money is always tough for me to swallow though.

Myusername
07-01-2014, 01:14 PM
I like this signing because with McDonagh breaking out there won't be a lot of pressure on him. He will do his thing and hopefully make the second PP unit a legit threat. Also, from what I hear he's an awesome locker room guy

Ranger Lothbrok
07-01-2014, 01:15 PM
I think we can all agree that Richards on the powerplay was a pretty big failure, but we didn't really have many options. Boyle is much more familiar with that role, and I don't think the value of having a right-handed shot can be overestimated. I think we all agree that it's slightly too much $, and I personally would've been more comfortable with a 1 year deal, but I think it was a necessary move given the loss of Stralman. We needed a D somewhere, so that's one need filled. We needed a PP QB somewhere, so that's another need filled. When you head in to the FA, you look to address needs. That's what we did.

Side note: while the $4.5 might be too much, if the reports of him leaving a bunch of money on the table are true, I don't think we could've done much better than $4.5.A guy his age will be looking to make as much money as possible to set him up for life in the twilight of his career. The fact that he cared less about that and more about being here says a lot.

It may not be the greatest FA signing we've ever made, but I think it was definitely necessary. And we all know my stance on getting older with our players and spending cap space on those kinds of guys.

Morphinity
07-01-2014, 01:18 PM
I think we can all agree that Richards on the powerplay was a pretty big failure, but we didn't really have many options. Boyle is much more familiar with that role, and I don't think the value of having a right-handed shot can be overestimated. I think we all agree that it's slightly too much $, and I personally would've been more comfortable with a 1 year deal, but I think it was a necessary move given the loss of Stralman. We needed a D somewhere, so that's one need filled. We needed a PP QB somewhere, so that's another need filled. When you head in to the FA, you look to address needs. That's what we did.

Side note: while the $4.5 might be too much, if the reports of him leaving a bunch of money on the table are true, I don't think we could've done much better than $4.5.A guy his age will be looking to make as much money as possible to set him up for life in the twilight of his career. The fact that he cared less about that and more about being here says a lot.

It may not be the greatest FA signing we've ever made, but I think it was definitely necessary. And we all know my stance on getting older with our players and spending cap space on those kinds of guys.

Well, for one, Boyle's shot is way better than Richards'.

Myusername
07-01-2014, 01:21 PM
Detroit offered him 5 mil x 2 I believe

So Nashty

For about 5 games. Then Boyle will get rangeritis.

I can be positive about a lot of things but I am certain the rangers pp will always suck.

Myusername

Another veteran in the locker can't hurt either when you're going for the cup

Slobberknocker
07-01-2014, 01:22 PM
i can live with this. we definately need more guys who can bury the puck.

rmc51
07-01-2014, 01:24 PM
I won't know how I feel about this until I see what Stralman gets. If we could have gotten Stralman at less money, I'm not sure I understand turning him away and replacing him with a defenseman on his last leg. I understand what Boyle brings offensively and to the PP, but at what cost defensively and how much is left in the tank?

DiJock94
07-01-2014, 01:25 PM
I hate it. He's too old. Could've kept Stralman or gotten Fayne

Captain Clutch
07-01-2014, 01:25 PM
More offensive production out of Boyle, though.

I am Scags
07-01-2014, 01:26 PM
Awesome!

We're now just Pavel Kubina and Cory Sarich away from the cup!!

Valriera
07-01-2014, 01:27 PM
I can live with this deal but by no means am I happy. Stralman is a good player and I'd rather have him locked up for 4/5 years at similar money than have Boyle for two years. That said, we could have done way worse than this as a replacement to Stalman, and Boyle has the power play upside, which is needed. Overall I'm pretty leveled about it. Not a bad signing, but also not one I'm thrilled about.

Morphinity
07-01-2014, 01:29 PM
Awesome!

We're now just Pavel Kubina and Cory Sarich away from the cup!!

Well, we just bought out the Conn Smythe winner and Fedotenko is retired... :(

josh
07-01-2014, 01:29 PM
I hate it. He's too old. Could've kept Stralman or gotten Fayne

Neither of those guys bring what Boyle was signed for. He fills a hole and fits a specific need.

Puck Head
07-01-2014, 01:30 PM
It's the 2 year deal that is key.
-We aren't stuck with this guy for a long time.
-Fills a huge void on PP with Richards gone
-Veteran leadership

He's lead San Jose in minutes at least the last 4 or 5 years, he won't have to do that here.

Stralman did well here, but he brings zero offense, and doesn't come close to Boyle on the PP.
If Staal continues regaining his form, this team could have one of the top defensive cores in the league.

This all works for me.

I am Scags
07-01-2014, 01:31 PM
Well, we just bought out the Conn Smythe winner and Fedotenko is retired... :(

This is true. :(

Any word on what Chris Dingman is doing these days?

DiJock94
07-01-2014, 01:31 PM
Neither of those guys bring what Boyle was signed for. He fills a hole and fits a specific need.

Yes team senior

Phil in Absentia
07-01-2014, 01:32 PM
It's the 2 year deal that is key.
-We aren't stuck with this guy for a long time.
-Fills a huge void on PP with Richards gone
-Veteran leadership

He's lead San Jose in minutes at least the last 4 or 5 years, he won't have to do that here.

Stralman did well here, but he brings zero offense, and doesn't come close to Boyle on the PP.
If Staal continues regaining his form, this could be the top 4 defenseman in the league.

This all works for me.

And he'll double your point total versus Strålman at the same price over probably twice the contract length.

Captain Clutch
07-01-2014, 01:32 PM
2 old players and the Rangers are suddenly team senior.

Puck Head
07-01-2014, 01:33 PM
And he'll double your point total versus Strålman at the same price over probably twice the contract length.

Could very well triple his point total.

Myusername
07-01-2014, 01:34 PM

That's the one thing I didn't like about Stralman. He can't play defense and offense at the same time. Boyle had three times as many points as him in less games

DiJock94
07-01-2014, 01:35 PM

He fills the role of "our team senior"

I am Scags
07-01-2014, 01:36 PM

Still a young defense core though, and hey we were 3 wins away from the cup. I'm not crazy about a 37 year old defenseman either, but this is a now team.

Pete
07-01-2014, 01:36 PM
Basically everyone commenting on this deal on twitter are calling it a good signing. I agree.

I don't mind this deal as long as AV protects his minutes, but how can he? Klein and Moore are already sheltered.

Phil in Absentia
07-01-2014, 01:37 PM
Could very well triple his point total.

Strålman? Yeah, for sure. He had what, twelve points last year? Not an offensive player at all. At least not an effective one. Good role player, but not worth the deal he's going to get.

Phil in Absentia
07-01-2014, 01:38 PM
:tweet: @NYP_Brooksie: Boyle agent George Bazos tells Post: "We told teams that if Rangers made offer, decision wasn't going to be about money."

Drew a Penalty
07-01-2014, 01:39 PM
:tweet: @NYP_Brooksie: Boyle agent George Bazos tells Post: "We told teams that if Rangers made offer, decision wasn't going to be about money."

So, we could've gone lower?

I'm hoping it's announced that much of his contract is made up of bonuses.

NYR2711
07-01-2014, 01:40 PM
The only thing I don't like about this deal are the NTC and the financial terms. Picking him up helps the team, but I feel we overpaid him. Other than that, welcome to the team Dan.

DiJock94
07-01-2014, 01:44 PM
One positive is that the seven people that bought Brian Boyle jerseys now own dan Boyle jerseys

Respecttheblue
07-01-2014, 01:47 PM
OK this I am :m: like
:welcome: Dan Boyle, and :cheers:

Imagine Sam Rosen saying in his power play goal announcement voice: "It's a Boyle FA Upgrade!" — OK different position, but we might develop more offense and competency out of this back-end signing. Hope he's still got it.

Thump23
07-01-2014, 01:57 PM
In a perfect world, in two year's time Boyle leaves and Skjei steps in.

Slobberknocker
07-01-2014, 02:18 PM
In a perfect world, in two year's time Boyle leaves and Skjei steps in.

a traditional "hold the fort guy"

Thump23
07-01-2014, 02:23 PM
a traditional "hold the fort guy"

And a help on the PP guy, too.

Niko
07-01-2014, 02:59 PM
FYI, stralman got the 4 mil I suggested he would earlier in this thread lol

Pete
07-01-2014, 03:07 PM
Yes, we know. http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?14150-TBL-Sign-D-Anton-Str%E5lman-to-5-Year-22-5M-Contract-4-5M-AAV

momentum
07-01-2014, 03:41 PM
A guy who STILL has got it, I like the deal, it's only 2 years and unlike what some ppl seem to think it's actually OK to have some veteran players on a team, everyone doesn't have to be 25-26 or younger.
This guy still brings it and brings exactly one of the things we need, a QB on the PP, other guys like McD can learn a lot from this guy in the offense deparment. Excellent signing.
I feel he definitely "deserves" this money more than Stralman. Boyle brings something "extra", not just ho hum solid but unspectacular d like stralman.

Keirik
07-01-2014, 04:12 PM
Very good signing.

Phil in Absentia
07-01-2014, 04:19 PM
:tweet: @NYRangers: "Dan (Boyle) is goign to bring experience, help us on the PP...we're really happy to have him come on board." - #NYR Head Coach AV

:tweet: @stevezipay: Gorton says Boyle turned down more $ and another year to join #NYR

Phil in Absentia
07-01-2014, 07:52 PM
Second best part about signing Dan Boyle? He's a metal head!

Cover your ears, Pete... it's about to get nit picky up in this bitch!

Get this man in touch with the Garden crew about their musical selections during games. I hope to never hear Lady Gaga or generic Z100 top-40 again. Hit the lights and hit the riffs!

Pete
07-01-2014, 07:55 PM
Second best part about signing Dan Boyle? He's a metal head!

Cover your ears, Pete... it's about to get nit picky up in this bitch!

Get this man in touch with the Garden crew about their musical selections during games. I hope to never hear Lady Gaga or generic Z100 top-40 again. Hit the lights and hit the riffs!

Is there anything regarding this franchise you won't complain about?

And you'll never hear that crap at MSG in a million years.

Phil in Absentia
07-01-2014, 07:56 PM
I guess I should have told you to cover your eyes instead.

ThirtyONE
07-01-2014, 10:22 PM
Is there anything regarding this franchise you won't complain about?

And you'll never hear that crap at MSG in a million years.

Good choice of words :)

Phil in Absentia
07-01-2014, 10:24 PM
Just to be clear, you hear that "crap" played at the Garden already. You just don't hear it enough for my tastes. Metallica, Guns 'n Roses, Disturbed, and others have all made the PA at one point or another. In fact, "Enter Sandman" and "Welcome to the Jungle" are both mainstays and are played on a nightly basis.

Pete
07-01-2014, 11:18 PM
Who really cares lol ?

RangersFan
07-01-2014, 11:37 PM
I like when they play Teenage Wasteland during warmups. One time i heard some bullshit Nicki Minaj tho

Steven.
07-02-2014, 01:40 AM
Did not want Boyle coming into FA, and I was NOT happy with this signing initially, but it's grown on me. He will not be relied on as heavily here as he was in San Jose. As much as I love Stralman and think that losing him could potentially hurt us in a big way, Boyle is an exponential offensive upgrade on him, and we already have three very good defensive defenseman in the top-4.

His experience is a great plus.

TwoMinutesForNothing
07-02-2014, 05:03 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBx7m-QY7YI

lefty9
07-02-2014, 06:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBx7m-QY7YIpoor brassard not only did he get hit from behind, than he gets his ass wipped .
Maybe I was wrong about Boyle , I thought he was a soft player

Morphinity
07-02-2014, 09:00 AM
And then Nash comes in and tries to talk shit. What a joke.

phillyb™
07-02-2014, 09:13 AM
brassard fought someone?
whoa

Phil in Absentia
07-02-2014, 09:20 AM
And it’s not just the number, not just the talent — explosive, game-changing talent when at his peak — that combine to make this Boyle’s addition a coup.

It’s this, as articulated by George Bazos, Boyle’s agent, in a phone conversation within an hour of his client’s signing: “We told teams [during the five-day interview period preceding Tuesday] that if the Rangers made an offer, the decision wasn’t going to be about money.”

The Islanders, who had obtained Boyle’s rights from San Jose last month, offered three years and $15 million. The Red Wings offered three years at $12.5 million. The Sabres are believed to have come in with what essentially would be described a blank check.

And yet Boyle went with his heart. Nearly every free agent who talks about wanting to play in New York also want the biggest paycheck in order to come here. Notably, Wayne Gretzky took less and so did Brendan Shanahan. Now, Boyle, who has always wanted to play for the Rangers and now gets to rejoin his old partner Marty St. Louis.

Boyle, who will slide into Stralman’s vacated spot on Marc Staal’s right side on the second pair, struggled at times last season, recording 36 points (12-24) with some dicey possession numbers. But he sustained a concussion in October—from which there were no lingering after-effects on the ice—and then played a substantial number of games with a broken thumb leading into the Olympic recess

http://nypost.com/2014/07/01/brad-richards-lands-with-blackhawks/

Pete
07-02-2014, 09:25 AM
Stop, if it wasn't about money he would have taken less money so we can go sign better players.

Brad Richards isn't about money. Signed up below market deal to go to a contending team and give them flexibility.

Shane Falco
07-02-2014, 09:30 AM
And then Nash comes in and tries to talk shit. What a joke.

:lol:

Maybe there's hope for him after all.

Slobberknocker
07-02-2014, 11:17 AM
i like that he gutted it out with the broken thumb. it doesn't look to me that he left that much money on the table. sure the Isles offer was 3 for 15 but it's the Isles...

Phil in Absentia
07-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Stop, if it wasn't about money he would have taken less money so we can go sign better players.

Brad Richards isn't about money. Signed up below market deal to go to a contending team and give them flexibility.

The Hawks? Yeah, well below, because he was bought out of a $60M contract that he'll receive nearly $56M of by the end of the buy out.

That's not the same situation as Boyle. I get what you are saying, but Boyle did leave money (and term) on the table for a lesser offer, even if that offer isn't as low as you'd like it to be.

Pete
07-02-2014, 11:24 AM
The Hawks? Yeah, well below, because he was bought out of a $60M contract that he'll receive nearly $56M of by the end of the buy out.

That's not the same situation as Boyle. I get what you are saying, but Boyle did leave money (and term) on the table for a lesser offer, even if that offer isn't as low as you'd like it to be.

Boyle's made $58 million. He still signed for market value. That, to me, isn't "not about the money". Not about the money, take $2 mil and leave us some room to go grab a goal scoring LW to fill Pouliot's spot.

Even if he wants to say he left money on the table, he certainly didn't take a discount. And you'll say "Why should he?", and I'll say "He shouldn't! But in that case, it's still about money."

Phil in Absentia
07-02-2014, 11:30 AM
Boyle's made $58 million. He still signed for market value. That, to me, isn't "not about the money". Not about the money, take $2 mil and leave us some room to go grab a goal scoring LW to fill Pouliot's spot.

Even if he wants to say he left money on the table, he certainly didn't take a discount. And you'll say "Why should he?", and I'll say "He shouldn't! But in that case, it's still about money."

"It wasn't going to be about money", to me, reads "It wasn't an issue over maximum return", which is, in effect, Bazos' way of saying "Boyle wanted to play for the Rangers, while making an adequate salary for a player of his caliber, so we left more money and longer term offers on the table to sign in New York, who needed a little more flexibility with their cap structure in order to ice a competitive, Stanley Cup-caliber team. If Dan's only concern was getting a maximum return in free agency, he would have chosen to sign with any number of other clubs offering more in both dollars and term."

RangersFan
07-02-2014, 11:30 AM
I said the same thing Pete. If it wasnt about money, take 3 mil

Pete
07-02-2014, 11:37 AM
"It wasn't going to be about money", to me, reads "It wasn't an issue over maximum return", which is, in effect, Bazos' way of saying "Boyle wanted to play for the Rangers, while making an adequate salary for a player of his caliber, so we left more money and longer term offers on the table to sign in New York, who needed a little more flexibility with their cap structure in order to ice a competitive, Stanley Cup-caliber team. If Dan's only concern was getting a maximum return in free agency, he would have chosen to sign with any number of other clubs offering more in both dollars and term."

Well if that's the case, then I read "It's not about winning. It's about Dan wanting to play in NY, and them meeting his number."

thecurse0101
07-02-2014, 11:38 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWzKxdNPfIg

RangersFan
07-02-2014, 11:40 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWzKxdNPfIg

Why does this video keep being posted?

AmericanJesus
07-02-2014, 11:58 AM
Well if that's the case, then I read "It's not about winning. It's about Dan wanting to play in NY, and them meeting his number."

Eh, it's about many things. It wasn't only about money or only about winning or only about playing in NY. It was about all three things. It's like Stastny signing in St. Louis. He left a lot of money on the table in that he could have probably found some team to give him $7MX7 but took $7X4 to play in St. Louis, where he's from. It seems like if Boyle just wanted money, Buffalo was prepared to shower him with it.

Pete
07-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Eh, it's about many things. It wasn't only about money or only about winning or only about playing in NY. It was about all three things. It's like Stastny signing in St. Louis. He left a lot of money on the table in that he could have probably found some team to give him $7MX7 but took $7X4 to play in St. Louis, where he's from. It seems like if Boyle just wanted money, Buffalo was prepared to shower him with it.

Yea, I get that, I just don't like how the line "it wasn't about money" is made to portray the situation, especially a year like this, when you have Gaborik taking a haircut, Richards taking a 1 year deal at whatever space the Hawks had, basically...The "it's not about money" line is used to make Boyle out to be some type of — I dunno, whatever. I just don't agree with the picture being painted. Guy still took market dollars.

RangersFan
07-02-2014, 12:08 PM
Yea, I get that, I just don't like how the line "it wasn't about money" is made to portray the situation, especially a year like this, when you have Gaborik taking a haircut, Richards taking a 1 year deal at whatever space the Hawks had, basically...The "it's not about money" line is used to make Boyle out to be some type of — I dunno, whatever. I just don't agree with the picture being painted. Guy still took market dollars.

I agree but Boyle could have had 5-6 million dollar contracts that he turned down. When athletes say its not about the money, its usually bullshit. Look at Cano

Steven.
07-02-2014, 12:09 PM
Kreider-Stepan-MSL
McDonagh-Boyle

Should be a sweet PP unit.

AmericanJesus
07-02-2014, 12:11 PM

Yeah, low end of market. True market was 2 years, $5M per. He took $500K less per year.

Pete
07-02-2014, 12:13 PM
Kreider-Stepan-MSL
McDonagh-Boyle

The biggest thing is that Boyle is a RH shot. What I really see is an umbrella with Boyle at the top, McD on the left, MSL on the right (he and Boyle can play that 2 man game on their off-hands), Stepan in his usual spot planted below the goal line, feet in cement, and Kreider in front.

Pete
07-02-2014, 12:14 PM
Yeah, low end of market. True market was 2 years, $5M per. He took $500K less per year.

The obligatory :rolleyes: for a guy who already made over $58 million.
:rolleyes:
And another :rolleyes: .

TwoMinutesForNothing
07-02-2014, 12:15 PM
It was eiter Jeff Gorton or Brooks that said he was offered 3 years somewhere and that buffalo offered him a blank check.

Phil in Absentia
07-02-2014, 12:16 PM
It was eiter Jeff Gorton or Brooks that said he was offered 3 years somewhere and that buffalo offered him a blank check.

Brooks mentioned it, yes. I posted the article a bit ago, earlier this morning in this thread.

Steven.
07-02-2014, 12:17 PM
The biggest thing is that Boyle is a RH shot. What I really see is an umbrella with Boyle at the top, McD on the left, MSL on the right (he and Boyle can play that 2 man game on their off-hands), Stepan in his usual spot planted below the goal line, feet in cement, and Kreider in front.

Yup, same. For some reason, RH shots just seem to work better at the top of the umbrella set up than left handers.

That PP unit has a bit of everything. Kreider provides the net front presence, both McDonagh and Boyle are incredibly skilled, as is St. Louis, and Stepan is there for the back door plays. Seems almost ideal, to me.

Pete
07-02-2014, 12:17 PM
I don't really care as long as he comes in and puts up numbers. I like the signing.

I just don't think he's some type of saint for going to a team of his choosing for market value, that's all.

Pete
07-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Yup, same. For some reason, RH shots just seem to work better at the top of the umbrella set up than left handers.

That PP unit has a bit of everything. Kreider provides the net front presence, both McDonagh and Boyle are incredibly skilled, as is St. Louis, and Stepan is there for the back door plays. Seems almost ideal, to me.

Yea. It just seems that everyone we bring in to run a PP can't run a PP, going back since Nylander left. I really, really hope Boyle is a difference-maker.

Steven.
07-02-2014, 12:23 PM
Yea. It just seems that everyone we bring in to run a PP can't run a PP, going back since Nylander left. I really, really hope Boyle is a difference-maker.

Well, in that time, it's not like the Rangers have had an effective PP on the whole - some of those teams needed more than just a "PPQB". They needed net front presence, playmaking ability, and a player from the point who could shoot it/get it through. We now have an excellent net front presence in Kreider, some very good playmakers in McDonagh, St. Louis, and Stepan, and now we have our shot in Boyle (who can also distribute it excellently).

Sure, he could bust, but I'm feeling more confident about this making our PP more effective than the signing of Richards, or the trade for McCabe (lirl) did, mainly because the PP as a whole has improved leaps and bounds since the days of McCabe and the early days of Richards.

!br-avery!
07-02-2014, 12:44 PM
Kreider-Stepan-MSL
McDonagh-Boyle

It always looks good on paper
Richards on the PP looked good on paper also
I hope Boyle is up to the task

RangersFan
07-02-2014, 01:17 PM
If our guys shoot the damn puck instead of overpassing, it will work. A PP is a team mentality. One guy isnt gonna fix it, the whole team will have to make it work but Boyle is the man to follow.

Slobberknocker
07-02-2014, 01:54 PM
i dont be grudge these guys to get as much as there worth on the market while they have the god given ability to earn it.

if i read the article correctly Boyle did not utter this phrase. his agent did. big difference.

end of the day, he comes in and does what pete says on the pp regarding the set up and execution he will be heralded for it.

Pete
07-02-2014, 01:55 PM
i dont be grudge these guys to get as much as there worth on the market while they have the god given ability to earn it.

if i read the article correctly Boyle did not utter this phrase. his agent did. big difference.

end of the day, he comes in and does what pete says on the pp regarding the set up and execution he will be heralded for it.

Not to me. He's trying to paint a picture. An inaccurate one.

I also don't blame anyone for taking the money. Just don't hide behind bullshit when you do it. Big difference.

Slobberknocker
07-02-2014, 02:37 PM
do you think it's inaccurate if another team offered what was essentially a blank check? obviously we can't quantify how much was left on the table given it was a blank check. if you compare it to the isle's deal i suppose its 500k or so per.

i'll view this in the guise that yes he left some dough on the table, however he's 38 and went where he felt he had the best chance to be a featured player (we've all been calling for a right handed shot on the pp / offensive deman) and the best chance to hoist lord stanley before he hung up the skates.

everyone always tries to paint things in the best light when there trying to sell something... just the way life is.

momentum
07-02-2014, 03:30 PM
The obligatory :rolleyes: for a guy who already made over $58 million.
And another :rolleyes: .

Seriously, now a guy has to get roll eyes because he didn't take ENOUGH of a pay cut to play for the Rangers, he could be like Boyle or Stralman or Callahan who only care about their term and money, instead he left some money and term on the table to come here and play. He obviously REALLY wanted to play for the Rangers and sacrificed some income in doing it, I think he SHOULD be saluted for that, no matter how rich he is or how big or small cut in pay he took. It's the principal of it that counts IMO.
Can't wait to see him in the Rangers jersey, a guy who really wants to be here and he's such a great player. I think he will help us tremendously.

ThirtyONE
07-02-2014, 03:32 PM
Seriously, now a guy has to get roll eyes because he didn't take ENOUGH of a pay cut to play for the Rangers, he could be like Boyle or Stralman or Callahan who only care about their term and money, instead he left some money and term on the table to come here and play. He obviously REALLY wanted to play for the Rangers and sacrificed some income in doing it, I think he SHOULD be saluted for that, no matter how rich he is or how big or small cut in pay he took. It's the principal of it that counts IMO.
Can't wait to see him in the Rangers jersey, a guy who really wants to be here and he's such a great player. I think he will help us tremendously.

Agreed. Roll your eyes all you want but he wanted to come here. He had options to go elsewhere for more money and came to NY.

Pete
07-02-2014, 03:39 PM

Agreed. Roll your eyes all you want but he wanted to come here. He had options to go elsewhere for more money and came to NY.

No, he gets an eye roll for saying it isn't about money, when it is.

Please, let's stop talking about what he "left on the table". Frankly, it's a crock. He's 38 and wanted to play in NY, as long as they met his price. He was offered more money to play in BUFFALO (sounds awesome, after a life in sunny California and Tampa!), and Detroit — Oh, remind me how many free agents signed in Detroit yesterday? Oh, and FYI, maybe he only plans to play 2 more years, so he was leaving the third year from DET on the table, anyway?

Please, he wanted to go to the team he wanted to go to, for the price he wanted to be paid.

Once again, I don't care when athletes do this, good for them, just don't try to glamorize it with bullshit. He got market value from a cap team. Explain how he's some type of hero? Oh, right, he left a couple thousand on the table...Maybe he'll check his couches for loose change when he moves and he'll make up the difference.

momentum
07-02-2014, 03:49 PM
No, he gets an eye roll for saying it isn't about money, when it is.

Please, let's stop talking about what he "left on the table". Frankly, it's a crock. He's 38 and wanted to play in NY, as long as they met his price. He was offered more money to play in BUFFALO (sounds awesome, after a life in sunny California and Tampa!), and Detroit — Oh, remind me how many free agents signed in Detroit yesterday? Oh, and FYI, maybe he only plans to play 2 more years, so he was leaving the third year from DET on the table, anyway?

Please, he wanted to go to the team he wanted to go to, for the price he wanted to be paid.

Once again, I don't care when athletes do this, good for them, just don't try to glamorize it with bullshit. He got market value from a cap team. Explain how he's some type of hero? Oh, right, he left a couple thousand on the table...Maybe he'll check his couches for loose change when he moves and he'll make up the difference.

It's the principal of it Pete, ofc he's not going to play for nothing, or WAY below his market value, but the fact that he reduced his price to come here is something we should feel good about, not sit and roll our eyes that he didn't take ENOUGH money off. At least he showed it's not ONLY about the money or term for him like it seems to be for so many players.
He really wanted to play here, took a smaller contract to play here. Just nothing to complain about. Just my opinion.

Pete
07-02-2014, 03:51 PM
Dan is not a role model!

AmericanJesus
07-02-2014, 03:52 PM
I'm just happy when we get a player we want who seems to genuinely want to play for us. It doesn't always work out the best, but when you get Richards, Nash, MSL and Boyle coming here because it's one of the only places they want to play, that says our organization is doing something right, especially when those players could have gotten more elsewhere.

Slobberknocker
07-02-2014, 05:13 PM
leave the dough out of it.

he's 38, at the near end of his career. we need a right handed shot on the blue line which he is, and he saw us in the final losing a close series.

looks like a match made in heaven if you ask me.

Pete
07-02-2014, 05:18 PM
No one is debating that.

JOHN
07-02-2014, 05:48 PM

We are also likely going to hold the puck in the zone a lot more. Opposing teams targeted Richards' side because he didn't defend that point well. Boyle does a much better job.

torontonyr
07-02-2014, 07:05 PM
The only thing that scares me is the fact that he was relegated to meaningless minutes (relatively) in recent times with the Sharks.

Puck Head
07-02-2014, 08:08 PM
The only thing that scares me is the fact that he was relegated to meaningless minutes (relatively) in recent times with the Sharks.

He's been leading that team in minutes each season, including last season, and last season's playoffs.

torontonyr
07-02-2014, 08:17 PM
He's been leading that team in minutes each season, including last season, and last season's playoffs.

Yes, but he was also distrusted with the the Team's powerplay and was given time against lesser opposition. I have no way of proving this other than witnessing it myself though, so I'll just say you're right at this time.

Puck Head
07-02-2014, 08:19 PM
Yes, but he was also distrusted with the the Team's powerplay and was given time against lesser opposition. I have no way of proving this other than witnessing it myself though, so I'll just say you're right at this time.

Oh you could be absolutely right.
Last season I focused on Ducks and Av's out West for West coast games to watch. Simply didn't watch enough Shark games.

torontonyr
07-02-2014, 08:26 PM
Oh you could be absolutely right.
Last season I focused on Ducks and Av's out West for West coast games to watch. Simply didn't watch enough Shark games.

This is anecdotal evidence at best, but in my watching the Sharks with my friend last year there was a shift at the mid-point of the season in which he was relieved of much responsibility. I'm sure there are articles about it, but with the recent signing taking much of the SEO it's near impossible for me to provide at the moment.

Pete
07-02-2014, 08:34 PM
I was talking to a guy in our CA office earlier.

"Good luck with Boyle. Better hope you trade for JT."

He could be breaking my balls. Or not.

torontonyr
07-02-2014, 09:53 PM
I was talking to a guy in our CA office earlier.

"Good luck with Boyle. Better hope you trade for JT."

He could be breaking my balls. Or not.

According to my friend, Boyle has really dropped off in the past two seasons, most notably last season. I think JT would solidify this lineup - the question is what we'd need to give up to grab him.

Pete
07-02-2014, 09:59 PM
According to my friend, Boyle has really dropped off in the past two seasons, most notably last season. I think JT would solidify this lineup - the question is what we'd need to give up to grab him.

I think the guy was speaking more to who was running the power play.

torontonyr
07-02-2014, 10:51 PM
I think the guy was speaking more to who was running the power play.

Well, the guy is probably correct as like I said Boyle was relieved of those duties last season.

momentum
07-03-2014, 05:39 AM
Well personally I don't think our power play will be worse by getting Boyle...but that's just me. I think if we'd had a right handed offensive dman of Boyles caliber last playoffs it would have made a huge difference for us.

RangersFan
07-03-2014, 10:00 AM
Well personally I don't think our power play will be worse by getting Boyle...but that's just me. I think if we'd had a right handed offensive dman of Boyles caliber last playoffs it would have made a huge difference for us.

I agree. The powerplay was ice cold at times in the playoffs.

Myusername
07-03-2014, 10:30 AM
McDonagh is going to be running most of the PP's anyway, so even if this experiment doesn't pan out we're not totally screwed. However, if he does work out here he could really put us over the top in that department.

Ranger Lothbrok
07-03-2014, 12:13 PM
The need for someone like Boyle makes me regret passing on Fowler even more. I had gotten over it, until DZ didn't pan out and we had no offensive d-men in the system. Fowler had the same amount of points as Boyle (36) last season, but did it at 22 instead of 37. But hey...what's done is done.

The deal was necessary. With the loss of Richards, we needed SOMEONE. And having to make it work with the $69 mil cap severely limited our options, on top of the fact that there was nothing out there to begin with. It was absolutely, 100% necessary. We had one choice and one choice only, and we took it.

That said, poorly written though it may be, the following excerpt makes me less excited. We were taking about TFP's credibility in another thread, but facts are facts:

The first big splash of the day on Tuesday was the signing of Dan Boyle, the veteran defenseman with a Stanley Cup ring and propensity for powerplay aptitude.

Except, the Sharks, a significantly more dangerous offensive team than the Rangers -- in every category, goals for, shots for, shot attempts for – weren't much more effective than the Rangers with the man-advantage last year.
According to Extra Skater, the Rangers ranked 19th in the league in powerplay shot attempt percentage, while the Sharks ranked 15th. The Sharks had a lower shooting percentage, but the perceived lack of finish or low shooting luck was the biggest reason for the Rangers offensive woes this year. No?

There's no doubt that Boyle will make the Rangers powerplay slightly better, but don't expect it to stay in the upper echelon of elite next year, because Boyle, who will be 38 when the season opens, is on the back end.
"Dan is obviously an experienced player, he's been an elite player for a long time,' Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault said on a conference call. "He's going to bring experience, he's going to help us on the powerplay."

How much will the team suffer when they are not on the power play though, because of this decision?

Boyle's signing spelled the end for Anton Stralman, which is not exactly a good thing for the Rangers. Stralman was a second pairing wizard last season for the Rangers and the top-pairing defenseman on the advanced stats All-Star team.
Stralman's 5-on-5 numbers were stellar and he drove play with the likes of elite defenseman last year. The difference between Stralman and Boyle in even strength situations is stark and Boyle didn't really bring more offense than Stralman at even strength. In fact, they had identical point totals at even strength and the exact same number of shots and shot attempts.

Vigneault's lack of trust for Stralman on the powerplay impacted his all situations offensive numbers, but at even strength last year, he was exactly as impactful as Boyle.

Overall, this a downgrade for the Rangers, who went to the Stanley Cup Final last month on a combination of offensive and defensive depth, great possession numbers and tremendous goaltending. Next season, that goaltending is going to need to be even better, because they're possession numbers likely won't be the same.
www.thefourthperiod.com/news/nyr140702.html

Myusername
07-03-2014, 12:56 PM
Sadly, sounds about right. As inconsistent as Richards was, we're probably not going to replace his 50 points next season. Losing Boyle will hurt our PK and shut down game quite a bit. Stralman is a better defenseman than Boyle at this point, and probably not by a little bit.

Unless some moves are made to shore up our top 6 and/or we have a young player step in and play lights out, we are going to have some struggles next season.

Ranger Lothbrok
07-03-2014, 02:24 PM
Sadly, sounds about right. As inconsistent as Richards was, we're probably not going to replace his 50 points next season. Losing Boyle will hurt our PK and shut down game quite a bit. Stralman is a better defenseman than Boyle at this point, and probably not by a little bit.

Unless some moves are made to shore up our top 6 and/or we have a young player step in and play lights out, we are going to have some struggles next season.

Agreed. The one thing that helps, IMO, is the health/age factor. Marc Staal will be starting the season fully healthy, and you could make a strong argument that he was our best shutdown D in the playoffs. That's after a relatively unremarkable, if not poor, start to the season when he came back last year. He'll be 27 next season, which is the prime age for defensemen, so I fully expect him to have one of his best years as a Ranger, if not THE best year.

McDonagh just turned 25. As fantastic as he's been, he's still growing as a player. We had never seen the kind of offensive ability he showed last season in his game before. The shoulder injury clearly nagged him for the start of the playoffs, but again: he's someone I expect to have a career year. Girardi is 30, Klein is 29, so it should be par for the course with them. They are both almost exclusive shutdown players, so that'll ameliorate the Stralman loss somewhat.

Finally, there's my favorite sleeper pick: John Moore. It's easy to look at his performance and say he's been a disappointment. People have even wanted to trade him, and justifiably so. That said, as McDonagh has shown (and Skjei more recently), if the d-man has wheels the game can follow. We took Skjei for his skating ability and size late in the first round. He's since developed in to a rather exciting prospect for us, whom some believe can even contend for a spot next season.

In today's NHL, a D's most valuable assets are his size and mobility. Position play can be taught as part of a defensive scheme. Stick-checking, hitting and passing all come with more development and practice. Being 6'3" and incredibly quick are two things you can't teach somebody in practice. Enter John Moore. He showed stretches of terrific play last season, and then he had an injury that he really never came back from 100%. But he's only 23, he's 6'3" and 202 lbs., and his skating ability rivals (if not matches or exceeds) McDonagh's. He's entering the next stage of development for young defensemen. This season will be very telling as far as his NHL future is concerned, but we can't lose sight of the fact that d-men don't hit their prime typically until 26-28, and Moore is at least 3 years away from that.

Honestly, I'd love to give Moore an increased role and see what he does with it. With young players it's all confidence. AV is one of the best in the league at getting guys to revive their game through exercising patience and providing encouragement. The whole "Clean slate, grab it" thing cannot be overestimated IMO. We saw several players really come in to their own when they were given a fair shake: Zook, Kreider, Pouliot, etc.. To keep Boyle fresh for the powerplays, and to keep some gas in the tank for the post-season, I'd honestly give him 3rd pairing even strength minutes and let the rest of his ice time come on the PP. I'd go with something like this:

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Moore
Klein-Boyle

I don't know. I, like Puck Head, still have a lot of faith in Moore's natural, raw ability. And I think 23 is way too early to start crying "'bust." I'd love to throw him some more responsibility, trust him in bigger situations and give him more ice time. I think he's ready for that next step, and I think showing faith in him will be halfway to getting him there.

I know, I know. tl;dr. But that's why, even though it's overly optimistic, I think our D will be better than people think.

Pete
07-03-2014, 02:28 PM
Moore isn't and never was on McDs level. He's hockey stupid.

Ranger Lothbrok
07-03-2014, 02:44 PM
Moore isn't and never was on McDs level. He's hockey stupid.

Where did I say that? I said he's ready to take the next step developmentally, and that an increased role will help with that. The only McD comparison I made was with the skating, which most would agree he at least definitely has wheels. I was saying that size and speed can't be taught. Has a lot of growing to do as a player, but I'm not ready to write him off, and I'd like to see what he does with more minutes.

Back to Boyle though. Honestly, if we're interested in mitigating his even strength defensive liabilities, utilizing him in PP situations, and keeping him fresh for each game and the playoffs, that adds up to me to sound like a 3rd pairing D that doesn't really get 3rd pairing minutes. Put him with someone like Klein that ONLY thinks defense, trot him out for every powerplay, and try to limit his even strength minutes. That's the role I would have him in. But that ain't gonna happen. Even if the 3rd pairing thing is basically in name only (like our "third line" of PBZ, who were arguably our best), they didn't just drop $4.5 on him to limit his ice time.

Pete
07-03-2014, 02:48 PM
Where did I say that? I said he's ready to take the next step developmentally, and that an increased role will help with that. The only McD comparison I made was with the skating, which most would agree he at least definitely has wheels. I was saying that size and speed can't be taught. Has a lot of growing to do as a player, but I'm not ready to write him off, and I'd like to see what he does with more minutes."as McDonagh has shown (and Skjei more recently), if the d-man has wheels the game can follow." NOt always the case.

Back to Boyle though. Honestly, if we're interested in mitigating his even strength defensive liabilities, utilizing him in PP situations, and keeping him fresh for each game and the playoffs, that adds up to me to sound like a 3rd pairing D that doesn't really get 3rd pairing minutes. Put him with someone like Klein that ONLY thinks defense, trot him out for every powerplay, and try to limit his even strength minutes. That's the role I would have him in. But that ain't gonna happen. Even if the 3rd pairing thing is basically in name only (like our "third line" of PBZ, who were arguably our best), they didn't just drop $4.5 on him to limit his ice time.Klein and Boyle are both RHD, and Moore and Staal are LHD. AV isn't going to do that.

DiJock94
07-03-2014, 02:57 PM
Staal should be able to cover Boyles bad play defensively

Karan
07-03-2014, 03:01 PM
I'd rather limit Boyle's minutes and and so not play with him Staal but rather Klien...

Ranger Lothbrok
07-03-2014, 03:22 PM
"as McDonagh has shown (and Skjei more recently), if the d-man has wheels the game can follow." NOt always the case.
Klein and Boyle are both RHD, and Moore and Staal are LHD. AV isn't going to do that.

That's not saying he's McDonagh though, or even close. That's just saying he has the skating necessary to get there, IF he ever does. Hence the phrase "the game can follow," not "the game will always follow." Semantics though, just explaining that I'm not stupid enough to think he's on any comparable level with McDonagh other than skating ability.

Ranger Lothbrok
07-03-2014, 03:23 PM
I'd rather limit Boyle's minutes and and so not play with him Staal but rather Klien...

Same, but the organization absolutely loves that whole LHD-RHD element. As Pete and I pointed out, it won't happen for a number of reasons, though I wish it would.

Pete
07-03-2014, 03:28 PM
That's not saying he's McDonagh though, or even close. That's just saying he has the skating necessary to get there, IF he ever does. Hence the phrase "the game can follow," not "the game will always follow." Semantics though, just explaining that I'm not stupid enough to think he's on any comparable level with McDonagh other than skating ability.Yea, it is semantics. I'm saying Moore lacks hockey sense in all facets of the game, I don't care how fast he is, and you're making a federal case out of it. So we'll agree to disagree.

Karan
07-03-2014, 03:28 PM
Same, but the organization absolutely loves that whole LHD-RHD element. As Pete and I pointed out, it won't happen for a number of reasons, though I wish it would.

I missed reading the previous posts, fair point though.

The Dude
07-05-2014, 11:45 AM
The man is currently joining my favorite band Faith No More, on their European tour.

Love this. Finally. A guy on the team who likes good music.

Phil in Absentia
07-07-2014, 03:46 PM
:tweet: @NYRangers: "I hope to come in and help." - #NYR Dan Boyle on joining the Rangers and the power play
:tweet: @NYRangers: #NYR Dan Boyle in talking about his relationship with Martin St. Louis jokes that he isn't going to be the oldest guy on the team.
:tweet: @NYRangers: "For 15 years I've been asked my favorite arena and aside from home @TheGarden was always my favorite." - - #NYR Dan Boyle

:tweet: @AGrossRecord: Dan Boyle, on conference call, says it's not that he didn't want to play for Islanders or other teams, it's that he wanted to play for #NYR
:tweet: @AGrossRecord: Dan Boyle said he talked to ex-Lightning teammate Brad Richards (now with 'Hawks) and Richards only had glowing things to say about #NYR

--

More of the same typical answers, but they're the right ones again.

Phil in Absentia
07-07-2014, 03:51 PM
:tweet: @AGrossRecord: Dan Boyle on last season with Sharks: "A lot of people were saying age was a factor. I don't buy that for a second."

RangersFan
07-07-2014, 03:52 PM
I like this signing more and more everyday. I think this guy is gonna be great here

ThirtyONE
07-08-2014, 04:04 PM
Notes from Dan Bolye's conference call (the tweets don't do it justice)

http://snyrangersblog.com/2014-15/2014-15-players/dan-boyle/recap-dan-boyles-conference-call-yesterday/

Why did you sign with the Rangers, “That is where I wanted to go, it’s the simplest way to put it. Once I found out I was done in San Jose, this was a team that jumped out and has been a team I have been curious about. I have played in Florida and California, not traditional hockey markets so I wanted to experience something, those places were great but I wanted to experience something different. New York, Original Six team, it’s just where I wanted to go. The money…you could make more money elsewhere but you gotta be happy and that is why I chose to go there.”

On the PP and the pressure, “I enjoy the pressure, you have to be prepared for it, I have been warned, I have been in pressure situations before, Stanley Cup Finals, Gold Medal games and I thrive on it. I didn’t want most of the playoffs because I don’t like to when I am done but I kept an eye on the Final, especially with Marty and Brad being in it I kept an eye on it. The PP was one of the spots where I hope to come in and help and something that I have been doing for many years now and hopefully I can help out and improve it.”

On Marty St. Louis, “It was a big factor. Him and I kept in touch. Obviously, it started unfortunately with the passing of his mom but we talked through that and him going to the Final and afterwards me being a UFA, we kept in touch and yea, I’m not going to be oldest guy on the team and that is why I wanted to go to the Rangers, I forgot to say that. Marty was a big reason. Him and I have had very similar careers and it will be a great opportunity to play with him again here.”

Where is your game right now, “Last season was unique, I had the concussion 6-7 games in and had a rough, I would call it three months probably, where I wasn’t myself. A lot of people were saying it was the age factor but I don’t buy that for a second, I keep myself in really good shape. I think down the stretch, anyone who watched the games saw that I was back to myself. As far as transitioning, I don’t look at it that way. I led the team in ice time, I have no problems playing minutes, that is why you put yourself in shape to do that. I am not looking to go out and play a few minutes, I won’t go out like that. I am going in to make a difference. I want the puck, I want to make plays, I want to play and that is what I am going for. Helping younger guys, that goes with the territory and I am happy to help but I am there to win hockey games and the ultimate goal is to win the Cup.”

On Marty St. Louis again, “we spoke quite a bit actually. We talked when it started with his mom and I had to call him for that and he explained to me how it went and he and I have very similar backgrounds to where we got to where we were at it and we talked about all the pressure that he felt going on and how much of a struggle it was early and then once he got through that, we saw in the playoffs what he could do and there will be lots of talk about his age and my age moving forward but Marty and I will always thrive, that just fires us up and it will only doing the same for me.”

On Brad Richards, ” I talked to Richie also, that was a little tougher of a conversation, one minute you are in the Final and a week later you are looking for a new team. That was a different conversation but he had nothing but great things to say about the organization and the team, not that he wouldn’t, I wished him well and that was a different conversation but he had nothing but good things to say and that was good to hear.”

On coming to MSG as a visitor, “we have to do these questionnaires every year, favorite player, least favorite player, all of that and for 15 years they have asked your favorite arena to play in and besides that team that you are on, the Shark Tank was incredible for six-years, MSG was always incredible to play in. Being out West the last six years we didn’t get to play there that much but back when I was in Tampa I played there a little more and it’s a unique building and another reason I wanted to come here, to play at MSG. It’s a famous building.”

On Dominic Moore (SJ) and Rick Nash (Canada) being former teammates, “I didn’t get to play with those two guys as much as Marty but I have played with them both and I am familiar with them. It will hopefully make the transition easier and it’s New York and a lot of pressure and some guys respond to that better than others and hopefully I will respond the correct way and those guys will help with that.”

On fitting into the Rangers defense, “I think you need to earn your ice time, no matter what I have done in the past, you need to accomplish something on the ice and you need the accolades and be the best that I can be and hopefully that will be enough to earn the ice time that I want and the players are deserving of the same ice time. We want to win hockey games so if I need to play less, so be it, and certain games will dictate that. I am not a selfish person, I just want to win hockey games but ice time has to be earned.”

He's confident. He says it like it is. He said all the right things and said it with, what I would say is, some fire. I think he's going to be a big step up from Stralman quite honestly. And if he's getting big minutes, he and Staal could be a kick ass pair.

RangersFan
07-08-2014, 04:22 PM
I love the guy already. Fuck yeah