PDA

View Full Version : Rumor/Report: NYR [F] Mats Zuccarello Concerned with Years, Not Money

Pete
06-30-2014, 11:29 AM
Mats Zuccarello said today that he wants the Rangers to remain competitive so he won’t “push” his salary to the maximum and it’s more important to him to be locked up in a long-term deal. (Nettavisen)

Zuccarello said that he hopes for 3-4 years and thinks that he has become part of the core. He said that a long-term deal would show confidence from the organization and help him play better. (Nettavisen)

He added that he will listen to what his agent said but that a deal could be done in days or end with arbitration. (Nettavisen)
http://snyrangersblog.com/2013-14/2013-14-players/mats-zuccarello/buzz-mats-zuccarello-is-concerned-with-years-not-money/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

---

:clap:

BlairBettsBlocksEverything
06-30-2014, 11:30 AM
This is some good news.

Phil in Absentia
06-30-2014, 11:31 AM
Great news. Not sure how much I trust the source, with it being a report based on a translation (we've all seen how these things can and often do backfire), but great news nonetheless.

Johnnydollaz18
06-30-2014, 11:34 AM
Excellent. Committment to us I love it.

Pete
06-30-2014, 11:34 AM
Great news. Not sure how much I trust the source, with it being a report based on a translation (we've all seen how these things can and often do backfire), but great news nonetheless.

Well this is the literal translation from Google.

- The most important thing to me is how many years the contract is for, not necessarily how much the salary is. I want to be able to compete for the Stanley Cup every season and therefore will not necessarily push wages up to the maximum, says Zuccarello to the online newspaper.

Phil in Absentia
06-30-2014, 11:35 AM
What I'm saying is that we see the back-tracking "that's not what I meant to say..." or the "I was misquoted" type response to these reports all the time.

Happened with Alfredsson most recently, if my memory serves.

Pete
06-30-2014, 11:37 AM
What I'm saying is that we see the back-tracking "that's not what I meant to say..." or the "I was misquoted" type response to these reports all the time.

Happened with Alfredsson most recently, if my memory serves.

That usually happens when someone says something controversial.

Phil in Absentia
06-30-2014, 11:39 AM
That usually happens when someone says something controversial.

...and this isn't?

It undercuts his own value in being a player who the team will be be buying UFA years from on anything more than a one-year deal.

We've all had him lined up from anywhere between $3M and $4.5M a season. If he's willing to take substantially less than that, controversial may not be the term, but that's significant and something his agent may want him to backtrack on.

Pete
06-30-2014, 11:44 AM
...and this isn't?

It undercuts his own value in being a player who the team will be be buying UFA years from on anything more than a one-year deal.

We've all had him lined up from anywhere between $3M and $4.5M a season. If he's willing to take substantially less than that, controversial may not be the term, but that's significant and something his agent may want him to backtrack on.

Eh, I don't see it that way. He didn't say he'd take substantially less. He said that term was more important than max dollars. We've already heard quite a few players say the same thing (that X was more important than money). Boyle said role was more important than money, Stralman say security was the most important thing (I read: term), Gaborik already took less money for more years. As long as his agent is saying the same thing to Sather (which I'm sure he is), I don't see how this is hush-hush or something he'd have to "backtrack" on.

josh
06-30-2014, 11:46 AM
$1.1 x 7

Phil in Absentia
06-30-2014, 11:46 AM
Probably. I'm just saying, I can see a worst case scenario here in the fact that this is being reported out of Europe and not one of the more reliable North American outlets. That's all.

To be honest, the feeling I get is that what he said he meant and that he really does care more about term than money. Thinking like 3-5 years at $3M or so a year. Maybe a little more. Total bargain for a player of his caliber if last year is the norm, and would give the Rangers a solid $1M more in wiggle room.

Hell, maybe he goes the Klein route and just locks up longer-term (5, 6, 7 years) at some bargain bin rate, like below $3M a year? I mean, I doubt it, but that'd be fuckin' sweet.

Pete
06-30-2014, 11:48 AM
Probably. I'm just saying, I can see a worst case scenario here in the fact that this is being reported out of Europe and not one of the more reliable North American outlets. That's all.

To be honest, the feeling I get is that what he said he meant and that he really does care more about term than money. Thinking like 3-5 years at $3M or so a year. Maybe a little more. Total bargain for a player of his caliber if last year is the norm, and would give the Rangers a solid $1M more in wiggle room.

Hell, maybe he goes the Klein route and just locks up longer-term (5, 6, 7 years) at some bargain bin rate, like below $3M a year? I mean, I doubt it, but that'd be fuckin' sweet.

I'm thinking $3.25 x 4 = $13 million.

Phil in Absentia
06-30-2014, 11:49 AM
I'm thinking $3.25 x 4 = $13 million.

Sure, that's about right, but it's tough to get a real read on exactly what he means by this.

CreaseCrusader91
06-30-2014, 11:53 AM
This source with Zuke has been pretty consistent. I think it's legit and viable.

phillyb™
06-30-2014, 11:57 AM
what's the newspaper? i can ask my norwegian how credible it is...
either way, i hope this deal gets done.

edit - nvm...source is nettavisen? ok

phillyb™
06-30-2014, 12:06 PM
ya...just got confirmation that the translation pete posted it pretty accurate.
zuc is willing to get less paid than other members of the team.

but more importantly, he owns two subarus. one in ny and one in oslo. lol

Captain Clutch
06-30-2014, 12:12 PM
It's nice to hear. Give him 4-5 years at around 3.3

Morphinity
06-30-2014, 12:15 PM
Okay, I'll be a negative nancy. I wouldn't look too much into this.

Players, especially foreign players, say stuff like this sometimes because reporters take the questions out of context or players don't realize what they're saying. Maybe they're speaking their mind, but it's not good business for them. So their agent calls them up, tells them their fucking idiots, and then nothing comes of it.

Zucc might get a bit of a haircut, but it's not going to be considerable enough to be worth writing home about, IMO. Then again, every little bit helps with this cap.

Phil in Absentia
06-30-2014, 12:21 PM
Okay, I'll be a negative nancy. I wouldn't look too much into this.

Players, especially foreign players, say stuff like this sometimes because reporters take the questions out of context or players don't realize what they're saying. Maybe they're speaking their mind, but it's not good business for them. So their agent calls them up, tells them their fucking idiots, and then nothing comes of it.

Zucc might get a bit of a haircut, but it's not going to be considerable enough to be worth writing home about, IMO. Then again, every little bit helps with this cap.

Looks like someone didn't read the thread... already said the same earlier. :D

Pete
06-30-2014, 12:24 PM
Except some people heard through the grapevine that he only wants to play in NY, money isn't an issue (guy doesn't even pay rent, folks), and he's not pushing for max dollars. This article just confirms what's been around since the Olympics.

We know he can make $4.5 on the market. I'm betting he gets the $3.25 x 4 years.

AmericanJesus
06-30-2014, 12:58 PM
This is really good news for the Rangers. Have to wonder if the players aren't talking amongst themselves, realizing how close we got and how at this point, salary negotiations are what they are. There is X amount to split among Y players. Just a reality. If guys want as much of the team to remain together as possible, then they'll have to take less than they could get if they drag their feet or go the UFA route. No doubt not all will think that way, but I'd like to keep the ones that do.

Pete
06-30-2014, 01:03 PM
This is really good news for the Rangers. Have to wonder if the players aren't talking amongst themselves, realizing how close we got and how at this point, salary negotiations are what they are. There is X amount to split among Y players. Just a reality. If guys want as much of the team to remain together as possible, then they'll have to take less than they could get if they drag their feet or go the UFA route. No doubt not all will think that way, but I'd like to keep the ones that do.
To me, it doesn't sound like anyone wants money, besides Moore. Boyle wants to be more than a 4th liner, Stralman wants security, haven't heard what Pouliot wants, at all. MZA wants term, as well. It doesn't seem like anyone wants to get "paid" just seems like they want more than a 1 year deal, or more than 8:00 a night.

Pete
06-30-2014, 01:03 PM
To me, it doesn't sound like anyone wants money, besides Moore. Boyle wants to be more than a 4th liner, Stralman wants security, haven't heard what Pouliot wants, at all. MZA wants term, as well. It doesn't seem like anyone wants to get "paid" just seems like they want more than a 1 year deal, or more than 8:00 a night.

DiJock94
06-30-2014, 01:09 PM

I'm good with giving Zucc and Stralman term. Can't justify bumping Boyle up unless he took Pouliots spot on the third line LW. Also can't give Pouliot term or 3m per, a half a season of good play can't justify that to me.

Puck Head
06-30-2014, 01:24 PM
Except some people heard through the grapevine that he only wants to play in NY, money isn't an issue (guy doesn't even pay rent, folks), and he's not pushing for max dollars. This article just confirms what's been around since the Olympics. We know he can make $4.5 on the market. I'm betting he gets the $3.25 x 4 years.

This
I think he number is 4 million, give or take depending on years bought.
Of he takes less then that is be happy (3.2-3.7 per year)

ThirtyONE
06-30-2014, 01:28 PM
Except some people heard through the grapevine that he only wants to play in NY, money isn't an issue (guy doesn't even pay rent, folks), and he's not pushing for max dollars. This article just confirms what's been around since the Olympics.

We know he can make $4.5 on the market. I'm betting he gets the $3.25 x 4 years.

How did he pull that off? And how do I do it too?

CreaseCrusader91
06-30-2014, 01:36 PM
How did he pull that off? And how do I do it too?

Dat Norwegian swoon baby!

Future
06-30-2014, 02:52 PM
I'm good with giving Zucc and Stralman term. Can't justify bumping Boyle up unless he took Pouliots spot on the third line LW. Also can't give Pouliot term or 3m per, a half a season of good play can't justify that to me.
Zucc is the only one who I don't think would get complacent with a longer contract. Stralman's inconsistencies means he struggles with motivation, to me. Pouliot has always been erratic, and as good of a 4th liner Boyle is, he simply isn't going to be a productive top 9 guy. I don't know who is feeding him that mularkey about being capable of a larger role. He's not.

momentum
06-30-2014, 03:40 PM
...and this isn't?

I seriously doubt he'd take less than 3....at 3 mil he's bargain and he's aware of that most likely.

Valriera
06-30-2014, 04:41 PM
Mats Zuccarello is going to be a superstar in this league, mark my words, and if he can be had at anything under 4M for 4 years I think that's a great deal for the Rangers. The only weakness in this guy's game is his shot, but he plays like he's 6' 7", he is one of the best passers I've ever seen, he's quick, he's tough to play against, he's solid defensively, he's young, and he's proven to be successful at the professional level in Sweden. If he works on his shot to the point where he can bury a few more open shooting chances, we have an 80/90 guy here, I guarantee it.

Morphinity
06-30-2014, 04:50 PM
Mats Zuccarello is going to be a superstar in this league, mark my words, and if he can be had at anything under 4M for 4 years I think that's a great deal for the Rangers. The only weakness in this guy's game is his shot, but he plays like he's 6' 7", he is one of the best passers I've ever seen, he's quick, he's tough to play against, he's solid defensively, he's young, and he's proven to be successful at the professional level in Sweden. If he works on his shot to the point where he can bury a few more open shooting chances, we have an 80/90 guy here, I guarantee it.

A superstar? Easy, big fella. He's had one good season. Another big weakness is inconsistency. The guy was a healthy scratch at some point this season and looked pretty bad early on (though everyone did). He needs to prove that he can produce at the level he did when he was on consistently if he even wants to be considered a "name" much less a "superstar".

Pete
06-30-2014, 04:58 PM
Yea, I'd be happy with the 63 points he's projected with over 82 games.

Morphinity
06-30-2014, 05:17 PM
Yea, I'd be happy with the 63 points he's projected with over 82 games.

I'd be thrilled!

momentum
06-30-2014, 07:41 PM
I don't know about superstar but I think he could be a star player or if not star at least well known respected player who's considered a real threat, i think he could turn into a solid 25g/40a 65 point player, maybe even 70 points if everything goes his way. The guy is just so fun to watch I don't care...lock him up based on entertaining value imo.

Phil in Absentia
06-30-2014, 07:43 PM
Zucc could be a star in the same class as players like Patrick Sharp, most likely. Won't be the first name mentioned when you speak about his team, but to the fans of that club, and to anyone who watches more than a yearly scoring column, he'd be mentioned among the group.

BlueJay
06-30-2014, 10:22 PM
I see 3.5x4 here.

Jules
06-30-2014, 10:29 PM
I believe that he means it. He was rumoured to want over $2M last time and was quoted by Norwegian media that he was saddened to learn people were overstating his wish to remain a Ranger and that he wasn't after that sort of money at all. This isn't the first time with him that he's said he cares more about the team than the last penny and considering last year's deal, he acts on it.

I'd be more than happy with any deal keeping him under $4M, which was about what I expected for him.

Slobberknocker
07-01-2014, 12:16 PM
we need to get him signed.