PDA

View Full Version : 2014 NHL Offseason — Trades, Signings, Rumors & Speculation

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Phil in Absentia
06-14-2014, 12:58 AM
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4334542/BSBH/BSBH_Offseason_2014.gif

Please use this thread to discuss all feasible off-season related topics including
(but not limited to) potential trades, free agency and more. This thread is intended to
discuss the New York Rangers off-season, though other team information (that is
relevant to the Rangers) like potential trade candidates can be posted here as well.

This thread is not designed for trade proposals. Please do not post them here unless
they are specific to an existing rumor or report.

This thread will be updated regularly between now and July 1st, as well as into the
off-season months in the event major names are still available on the board (so to speak).

IMPORTANT DATES TO NOTE:

NHL Entry Draft — June 27th, 28th
Free Agent Signing Period Begins — July 1st
Buyout Window — June 16th to June 30th

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4334542/BSBH/BSBH_Offseason_TopUFA_2014.gif
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4334542/BSBH/BSBH_Offseason_Buyout_2014.gif

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4334542/BSBH/Template_Graphics/GDT/BSBH_GDT_Footer1.gif

Drew a Penalty
06-14-2014, 01:00 AM
It hurts to see this thread so soon because it means that long ass summer without hockey is upon us. Oh well.

I guess I can start working on my Cammy signature now.

G1000
06-14-2014, 01:00 AM
Seeing this thread makes me so fucking sad.

Chizz
06-14-2014, 01:03 AM
Seeing this thread this late makes me so happy. We're usually a good month into this thread by now.

Bring back Gabby!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmericanJesus
06-14-2014, 01:03 AM
Buy out Richards, Trade Nash. Use money to retain the guys we want to keep. Then visit free agency.

Chizz
06-14-2014, 01:04 AM
And absolutely not to Cammalleri. Size! We need size!

Phil in Absentia
06-14-2014, 01:06 AM
Buy out Richards, Trade Nash. Use money to retain the guys we want to keep. Then visit free agency.

Same game plan I'd have.

Richards bought out.

Nash traded for two cost-controlled forwards and/or a 5/6 defender.

Visit free agency to get a quality third-line center. Bolland?

Drew a Penalty
06-14-2014, 01:06 AM

I just want goals. I don't care if they come from a midget on stilts.

Chizz
06-14-2014, 01:08 AM
I just want a cup. It's clear we need more skilled players with size. We have enough midgets for now.

NYR2711
06-14-2014, 01:10 AM
I would buy out Richards, and try to sign Mike Richards. IMO, we need a top pairing defenseman. To me, it doesn't seem like Girardi is going to thrive playing like this. We need someone on that blue line that can hit and move the puck. I would let Stralman walk, and even try to move Klein, he didn't really impress me. On the UFA front, I would love Stastny.

Pete
06-14-2014, 01:10 AM

I just want a cup. It's clear we need more skilled players with size. We have enough midgets for now.

I think we need speed and finish. He fits the bill.

AmericanJesus
06-14-2014, 01:11 AM
Same game plan I'd have.

Richards bought out.

Maybe. Might want to see what Legwand is looking for. If we are going with Brassard and Stepan, I want a 2/3 center. Nothing longer than three years.

Phil in Absentia
06-14-2014, 01:12 AM
Maybe. Might want to see what Legwand is looking for. If we are going with Brassard and Stepan, I want a 2/3 center.

$5M, just like Bolland, is my guess. Only reason I say Bolland is you get a tougher player and more years out of him. Less miles.

I'd take Legwand though. Quick feet on that guy still.

Phil in Absentia
06-14-2014, 01:13 AM

I don't not want size, but this team had the success it did all year with speed and creativity. The idea should be to get more of it, not less. Most guys with size lack both, but especially speed. I'm not sacrificing speed for size.

AmericanJesus
06-14-2014, 01:14 AM
$5M, just like Bolland, is my guess. Only reason I say Bolland is you get a tougher player and more years out of him. Less miles.

I'd take Legwand though. Quick feet on that guy still.

Saw him more in Detroit and he was better than expected. $5m is a big number but if he'd take that for three years I might consider it. Same with Bolland. Also with Legwand don't think he's ever had the opportunity to play in a system like ours.

Pete
06-14-2014, 01:15 AM
Maybe. Might want to see what Legwand is looking for. If we are going with Brassard and Stepan, I want a 2/3 center. Nothing longer than three years.

Phil and I talked about him yesterday.

Phil in Absentia
06-14-2014, 01:15 AM
Saw him more in Detroit and he was better than expected. $5m is a big number but if he'd take that for three years I might consider it. Same with Bolland.

Difference being, Legwand is 33 right now. He'll be 34 in August. That deal would take him to 37.

Bolland is 28.

AmericanJesus
06-14-2014, 01:16 AM
Difference being, Legwand is 33 right now. He'll be 34 in August. That deal would take him to 37.

Bolland is 28.

He is but not a lot of playoff miles on him.

Captain Clutch
06-14-2014, 01:18 AM
Already gonna call Stastny to the Rangers.

NYR2711
06-14-2014, 01:18 AM
My only issue with Cammalleri is his injury history. He has too many problems playing a full season. 2009 was his last time playing a full season. We need someone that can go the full ride here to help us.

Phil in Absentia
06-14-2014, 01:19 AM
He is but not a lot of playoff miles on him.

On who, Legwand? I don't really fear a multi-year deal with him. I'm just pointing out the difference in age.

I think something else to keep an eye on this summer is playoff experience. I'd be looking at proven playoff performers most of all.

Cammalleri fits that bill. P/G player in the post-season. Legwand is a career 0.6 P/G player in the regular season and a 0.5 P/G player in the post-season. Not bad.

AmericanJesus
06-14-2014, 01:26 AM
On who, Legwand? I don't really fear a multi-year deal with him. I'm just pointing out the difference in age.

I think something else to keep an eye on this summer is playoff experience. I'd be looking at proven playoff performers most of all.

Cammalleri fits that bill. P/G player in the post-season. Legwand is a career 0.6 P/G player in the regular season and a 0.5 P/G player in the post-season. Not bad.

That's true. Get some more guys that have been there and more importantly gotten results when there. Doesn't mean that they had to win it, but play well and produce.

AmericanJesus
06-14-2014, 01:27 AM
Ok I have to try to sleep. Baby will be up way too soon.

RichieNextel305
06-14-2014, 01:31 AM
First off, great and unexpected year.

Secondly, they need to investigate the market on Nash. He is approaching the top of the mountain in regard to most underwhelming players in franchise history. If a deal materializes, you deal him. He is not built for the big time.

momentum
06-14-2014, 01:32 AM
Same game plan I'd have.

Richards bought out.

I agree Richards need to be bought out, Nash needs to be traded (at all time low value) and then what?....we have no topline...Stepan is a 2nd lien center and Kreider is...hit and miss...marginal topline player on his best day.....
The big reason the Rangers didn't win the finals was that we struggled without a topline against a team that was equal to ours BUT on top of it has a topline that works.....how can we get a real topline the next year?? Even if we buy out Richards and trade Nash how do we do it? I'm afraid we still will be a marginal team without a topline and decent depth and great goaltending....

Vodka Drunkenski
06-14-2014, 01:34 AM
I would hold onto Nash unless a good deal came along. Go get Spezza to play with him.

momentum
Brassard/Stepan up the middle is just too weak ppl....we need a real topline center....

Drew a Penalty
Where does everyone think we'll send Nash if we are to trade him? I feel like a team like Florida would be good just to get him in a low pressure environment. I don't know what we'd get back. I'd want someone like Bjugstad, but that's a bit of a stretch.

Morphinity
Just need to be careful of not blowing up this team. That's all. As much as we hate Nash, they probably keep him for continuity and it's not like he's a regular season liability at least.

momentum
06-14-2014, 01:35 AM
I would hold onto Nash unless a good deal came along. Go get Spezza to play with him.

doesn't matter who Nash plays with....in the playoffs he can not play....he just doesn't have it...maybe he can help us make the playoffs I suppose...but we still need a topline and Nash certainly is NOT a topline player at this point...he cemented that fact last playoffs and now again these playoffs.

Drew a Penalty

I don't think getting him a center really matters. He's not the type of "scorer" who works off of being set up. He tries very much to produce everything on his own. It's not like one times a lot or really makes use of being set up.

Phil in Absentia
I agree Richards need to be bought out, Nash needs to be traded (at all time low value) and then what?....we have no topline...Stepan is a 2nd lien center and Kreider is...hit and miss...marginal topline player on his best day.....
The big reason the Rangers didn't win the finals was that we struggled without a topline against a team that was equal to ours BUT on top of it has a topline that works.....how can we get a real topline the next year?? Even if we buy out Richards and trade Nash how do we do it? I'm afraid we still will be a marginal team without a topline and decent depth and great goaltending....

A lot of youth there. I tear Stepan apart every year, but I wouldn't deal him to just throw him away. He's what, 23? What is Kreider, 23 as well? Those guys still have time to get better.

The issue was that the biggest name on the roster up front never materialized. Nash out and new blood in can do a lot to change the make-up of this team IMO.

I want to move him for Tanner Pearson and Tyler Toffoli. Not necessarily those two (though I would), but two kids like them. Hard working, cost-controlled, high level of skill with a nice combination of speed and size.

NYR2711
06-14-2014, 01:36 AM

A much as I would love Spezza, I think he is gonna cost teams way too much. I don't want to blow up this team too much.

Pete
06-14-2014, 01:36 AM
Shit Stepan won me over. Trade Brassard.

momentum
06-14-2014, 01:37 AM
Just need to be careful of not blowing up this team. That's all. As much as we hate Nash, they probably keep him for continuity and it's not like he's a regular season liability at least.

They will probably keep Nash because his value is so low they won't get anything but a third liner for him at this point, but it doesn't change the fact that he doesn't show up when it matters....he obviously has mental problems and get hack it when the game counts.....this is not going to change...keeping Nash is not a solution. Where is our topline? Who are our topline forwards? Nash...= sucks...Stepan = a 2nd lien center....Kreider = inconsistent rookie player....

RichieNextel305
06-14-2014, 01:37 AM
It is disturbing how ineffective Nash is. All talk no action. He's been abysmal.

Phil in Absentia
06-14-2014, 01:38 AM

Busted jaw and still managed 15 point in 24 games. Brass? 12 in 23.

Drew a Penalty

The big Stepan fan in me made grin when I saw this.

Vodka Drunkenski
I don't think getting him a center really matters. He's not the type of "scorer" who works off of being set up. He tries very much to produce everything on his own. It's not like one times a lot or really makes use of being set up.

He needs top flight talent around him.

Drew a Penalty
Busted jaw and still managed 15 point in 24 games. Brass? 12 in 23.

Also was very good defensively.

Captain Clutch
06-14-2014, 01:39 AM
I'd like to keep both Stepsn and Brass but this team STILL needs a real first line center. No idea how they'll get one but it's needed. And a PP QB, but we've needed that for years.

Phil in Absentia

Nash? I disagree. He's always done it himself. Plays like a one-man show on most nights, and his best years came where he was basically doing it alone as well.

Morphinity

No way.

momentum
A lot of youth there. I tear Stepan apart every year, but I wouldn't deal him to just throw him away. He's what, 23? What is Kreider, 23 as well? Those guys still have time to get better.

The issue was that the biggest name on the roster up front never materialized. Nash out and new blood in can do a lot to change the make-up of this team IMO.

I want to move him for Tanner Pearson and Tyler Toffoli. Not necessarily those two (though I would), but two kids like them. Hard working, cost-controlled, high level of skill with a nice combination of speed and size.

Nash wont get you more than a third liner or maybe ONE second liner at this point...sorry...and Stepan and Kreider might be young but Stepan is NOT and will NEVER be a real topline center....Kreider....he's kind of hit and miss...I don't think he's skill is top line material but some time he can compensate with pure physical gifts speed and size but again....in the long run...even Kreider looks questionable
as a real topline winger imo.

Vodka Drunkenski

Did he even play this series? Didn't even notice him at all tonight. However, I think he was playing hurt as well since the Montreal series.

Drew a Penalty
06-14-2014, 01:40 AM

And a bubble. I don't think it makes a difference. He had top line talent around him at the Olympics and he was irrelevant there too. I think he needs to just be in a low pressure environment and that's not New York.

NYR2711
Brassard/Stepan up the middle is just too weak ppl....we need a real topline center....

Step has been fine as a top line center. He produces like one and has a great defensive game. He is fine where he is, its the fact that we don't have much after them thats the issue. Step can play the big minutes and be put in any situation, plus he is still young and growing. He will be fine.

Vodka Drunkenski
doesn't matter who Nash plays with....in the playoffs he can not play....he just doesn't have it...maybe he can help us make the playoffs I suppose...but we still need a topline and Nash certainly is NOT a topline player at this point...he cemented that fact last playoffs and now again these playoffs.

That's what they said about Gaborik, he just scored the game tying goal and hoisted the cup.

Pete
No way.

I need more from you...?

NYR2711
06-14-2014, 01:41 AM

I kind of feel this way as well. If he is looking for too much, give him a 1 year deal and move him during the season, or try to move him at the draft for a low second rounder.

Vodka Drunkenski
06-14-2014, 01:41 AM
And a bubble. I don't think it makes a difference. He had top line talent around him at the Olympics and he was irrelevant there too. I think he needs to just be in a low pressure environment and that's not New York.

That could be said for a bunch of players, Olympics mean nothing.

Morphinity
06-14-2014, 01:42 AM
I need more from you...?

Was it simply playing through an injury that won him over for you? He wasn't good often enough, he's still slow as shit, and has major value on the trade front.

RichieNextel305
Always thought the shit regarding Gaborik being bad in the playoffs or in big spots was BS. He was a big time player here and did a hell of a lot more in big spots in one season than Nash has in his entire career.

NYR2711
That's what they said about Gaborik, he just scored the game tying goal and hoisted the cup.

Very true. I honestly would give him at least 1 more year.

Morphinity
06-14-2014, 01:43 AM

If Gaborik scored 14 goals for us in 2012, we'd have won the Cup too. Owell.

RichieNextel305
Stepan and Brassard are fine as 2-3 down the middle. We NEED a big top line center. No options exist in house.

Phil in Absentia
Nash wont get you more than a third liner or maybe ONE second liner at this point...sorry...

We don't know this as a fact.

and Stepan and Kreider might be young but Stepan is NOT and will NEVER be a real topline center

Or this.

....Kreider....he's kind of hit and miss...I don't think he's skill is top line material but some time he can compensate with pure physical gifts speed and size but again....in the long run...even Kreider looks questionable
as a real topline winger imo.

Again, he's 23. The improvement is there year-to-year.

Pete
06-14-2014, 01:44 AM

Hid role was different there.

Drew a Penalty
That could be said for a bunch of players, Olympics mean nothing.

You said he needs to be surrounded by talent. I'm giving you an example where he was. It doesn't make a difference for him. He likes doing things on his own. He likes being the focus, but with a very shitty microscope. Send him somewhere like Florida where he can carry an offense, but have no pressure.

Rangers

Yes yes yes, speed and finish! I would also like a punishing D man. Someone that can actually remove an apponent from the crease.

rmc51
06-14-2014, 01:47 AM
Buyout Richards. Sign Stastny. Trade Nash+ for Spezza.

We would be very deep down the middle.

Vodka Drunkenski
You said he needs to be surrounded by talent. I'm giving you an example where he was. It doesn't make a difference for him. He likes doing things on his own. He likes being the focus, but with a very shitty microscope. Send him somewhere like Florida where he can carry an offense, but have no pressure.

As Pete said, his role was different there.

NYR2711
We don't know this as a fact.

Or this.

Again, he's 23. The improvement is there year-to-year.

Agree. Step has improved every season here, and CK is still too young and learning the game. We can't expect guys to step in and become big time players over night. These two will get better and be important players for us in the near future. CK had many ups and downs, and now that he is finally here, I think he will pick up the game quickly. These two will be fine. The guy we need to worry about is Miller. He is a guy that now, with 2 coaches, has been up and down between the AHL and NHL and can't lock a spot.

Puck Head
06-14-2014, 02:36 AM
Buyout Richards. Sign Stastny. Trade Nash+ for Spezza.

We would be very deep down the middle.

Sounds nice, but we'd still have cap issues.
No Zuuc, Boyle, Moore, Moore, Kredier, etc etc.

Puck Head
06-14-2014, 02:38 AM
Agree. Step has improved every season here, and CK is still too young and learning the game. We can't expect guys to step in and become big time players over night. These two will get better and be important players for us in the near future. CK had many ups and downs, and now that he is finally here, I think he will pick up the game quickly. These two will be fine. The guy we need to worry about is Miller. He is a guy that now, with 2 coaches, has been up and down between the AHL and NHL and can't lock a spot.

Excellent post.

momentum
06-14-2014, 05:59 AM
Step has been fine as a top line center. He produces like one and has a great defensive game. He is fine where he is, its the fact that we don't have much after them thats the issue. Step can play the big minutes and be put in any situation, plus he is still young and growing. He will be fine.

Completely 100% disagree, any team who ices Stepan (and I like Stepan and do NOT want him traded) as their topline center is weak up the middle. He just doesn't have the skillset to be a bona fide top center, lacks size speed shot strength, has good hockey iq but that's it. Just too many missing elements.

Winter
06-14-2014, 06:01 AM
Do not give Staal a bad contract, dont screw the cap space long term

Pay Stralman

momentum
06-14-2014, 06:02 AM

True but I personally didn't say that and secondly I never saw Gaborik put together the kind of abysmal stretch of hockey that Nash managed to do last years playoffs and again these playoffs. Just horrible. And no injury to blame as far as I know.
He just looks like he's lost his game completely...when is the last time Nash did something amazing with the puck? Or better yet...when is the last time Nash got the puck and he did NOT look awkward or nervous and fell down or misplayed it....been a long time now Nash has been looking unsteady and weak and lost out there...never saw Gaborik like that.

momentum
06-14-2014, 06:03 AM
Stepan and Brassard are fine as 2-3 down the middle. We NEED a big top line center. No options exist in house.

THIS x 100, LOVE stepan and Brassard as 2 and 3 but we need someone ahead of them....if we ice Stepan and Brassard as our 1-2 we are weak up the middle, if we can have them as 2-3 with someone ahead of them we are strong. remember this was supposed to be the case with our team when Richards was signed...just turned out he was a has been dud.

momentum
06-14-2014, 06:07 AM
Hardest question to answer imo is still Nash....what to do with him? He has ruined any trade value in him so he might be better to just hold on to and hope he turns over a new leaf (As unlikely as it is), but at the same time you can't rely on him anymore..you can't go into next season with him as your top RW, he just doesn't cut it. What to do? Tempting to trade him but what do you get for him? Maybe somehow someone can be bamboozled into thinking he's still an elite player?? Don't know.

momentum
06-14-2014, 06:10 AM
Agree. Step has improved every season here, and CK is still too young and learning the game. We can't expect guys to step in and become big time players over night. These two will get better and be important players for us in the near future. CK had many ups and downs, and now that he is finally here, I think he will pick up the game quickly. These two will be fine. The guy we need to worry about is Miller. He is a guy that now, with 2 coaches, has been up and down between the AHL and NHL and can't lock a spot.CK I have still hope for to turn into the real deal because he has the tools but Stepan...its not like he's a rookie guys...he has plenty of years under his belt and while he has improved how much can he improve at this point? at 23 he should be pretty much at peak or near it...he just doesn't have enough tools to be a real top line center imo....he's not strong, not fast, not skilled, doesn't have a great shot....just too many things missing imo that won't get better with age.
I also think CK and Stepan will be "fine" but I don' think their roles might be what we need them for. CK might turn out to be a good power winger on a topline with a lot of other talent but Stepan just isn't talented enough to be a topline center. He's still "fine" though, as a good 2nd line center where he belongs.
Mark my words, as long as we go with stepan as our top line center we ARE weak up the middle, he has nothing on elite top centers such as Toews, Kopitar, Giroux, Tavares, Datsyuk, Stamkos, Crosby, Getzlaf, Backstrom, Malkin etc to name a few...these are the guys he will be going up against and he isn't enough.
The topline center role is SO important that you need REAL TOP talent there. Not a decent player, a great player. Stepan isn't even good on face offs, something you can actually learn.

AmericanJesus
06-14-2014, 09:25 AM
It will be very tough to get an elite center. The best we can hope for is a marginal upgrade over Stepan. Trading for Spezza or signing Stastny would be that. If we do that and keep Step and Brassard were a little deeper there than this season.

Phil in Absentia
06-14-2014, 09:31 AM
I'd try for Kesler again. I doubt he waives it this time around either, but I'd certainly ask.

Cash or Czech?
06-14-2014, 09:42 AM
IMO we keep Stepan AND Brassard and still go after a top flight guy. While it's a stretch with money, having three centers that can score and make plays would be huge for our depth and we need that kind of ability throughout the lineup. We should buy out Richards and I believe him playing on the 4th line the past two games is a testament to that occurring.

On Nash, I love how he did the little things. He backchecked hard, he lifted sticks and even threw his body around, but he just couldn't put the puck in the net when we needed him most. 3 goals and 10 points from your top payed skater is unacceptable. Maybe having another game breaker on the top line gives Nash some more space to release his shot or create a play. He got a perfect shot off in OT that Martinez managed to deflect high but that was coming off a one-timer. The opposition knows to cover him and play him hard. Having another player of his ability takes the defensive focus a little off of Nash. Stepan and Kreider are good, young players but don't strike fear with their individual skills controlling the puck. A player like Spezza or Stastny could help Nash, IMO. If management isn't planning on bringing in a player of that calibre then we should be looking to trade Nash because we'll get more of the same in the future.

jrc64
06-14-2014, 09:55 AM
I'd like to keep both Stepsn and Brass but this team STILL needs a real first line center. No idea how they'll get one but it's needed. And a PP QB, but we've needed that for years.

Once you buy out Richards and find a taker for Nash, you MUST go get Stastny. Fairly young center who scores and gets points and also can win faceoffs. Need to watch cap space for the following season, because we will need to fit Kane under the cap!

BlueJay
06-14-2014, 09:58 AM
Nash had 0 points in 5 Finals games, 0. IMO, he has to be traded, even if it's for picks and prospects.

Richards has to be bought out, no questions asked of course.

No more old guys.

NYR2711
06-14-2014, 10:18 AM
Completely 100% disagree, any team who ices Stepan (and I like Stepan and do NOT want him traded) as their topline center is weak up the middle. He just doesn't have the skillset to be a bona fide top center, lacks size speed shot strength, has good hockey iq but that's it. Just too many missing elements.

He lacks size and speed, but not shot strength. He scored a goal straight on from almost the red line. He has a great shot, and has been successful in every situation he has been in. He plays every facet of the game, has gotten a lot better on face-offs and is out there for key face-offs in both zones. He has two missing elements, size and speed, but I can deal with that, and that doesn't make him or the team weak. What makes us a weak team down the middle, is the fact that after him you have Brassard, who is very very streaky, and then no one. He has produced in that top position. What are your requirements for a top line center that he lacks?

NYR2711
06-14-2014, 10:22 AM
CK I have still hope for to turn into the real deal because he has the tools but Stepan...its not like he's a rookie guys...he has plenty of years under his belt and while he has improved how much can he improve at this point? at 23 he should be pretty much at peak or near it...he just doesn't have enough tools to be a real top line center imo....he's not strong, not fast, not skilled, doesn't have a great shot....just too many things missing imo that won't get better with age.
I also think CK and Stepan will be "fine" but I don' think their roles might be what we need them for. CK might turn out to be a good power winger on a topline with a lot of other talent but Stepan just isn't talented enough to be a topline center. He's still "fine" though, as a good 2nd line center where he belongs.
Mark my words, as long as we go with stepan as our top line center we ARE weak up the middle, he has nothing on elite top centers such as Toews, Kopitar, Giroux, Tavares, Datsyuk, Stamkos, Crosby, Getzlaf, Backstrom, Malkin etc to name a few...these are the guys he will be going up against and he isn't enough.
The topline center role is SO important that you need REAL TOP talent there. Not a decent player, a great player. Stepan isn't even good on face offs, something you can actually learn.

Dude, 23 is no where near reaching your peak or near it. That is still very young in this league, especially for a guy that didn't go through the minors and came here straight from school. The guy has improved every year.

josh
06-14-2014, 10:23 AM
Radulov

josh
06-14-2014, 10:23 AM
Nash had 0 points in 5 Finals games, 0. IMO, he has to be traded, even if it's for picks and prospects.

Richards has to be bought out, no questions asked of course.

No more old guys.

He had no value. Unless Sather robs someone, it wont be a worthwhile trade.

josh
06-14-2014, 10:25 AM
Rangers will buyout Richards and spend more money on a different 60-point center.

Morphinity
06-14-2014, 10:25 AM

I wouldn't say that. He's still a 30+ goal scorer... in the regular season. If another team wants to do a lobotomy and take a crack at fixing him come playoff time, go ahead. But we have no time to bother with that. Our window is closing.

BlueJay
06-14-2014, 10:26 AM

In hindsight, it wasn't a worthwhile trade then so, cut our losses before they really become insurmountable.

Morphinity
06-14-2014, 10:27 AM
Rangers will buyout Richards and spend more money on a different 60-point center.

lol, yeah. Everyone is screaming Paul Stastny, but let's be honest, that dude showed up this year, his contract year.

At best, he's a 20-something goal, 30-something assist center... much like Brad Richards, and Stastny will be more expensive.

josh
06-14-2014, 10:29 AM
In hindsight, it wasn't a worthwhile trade then so, cut our losses before they really become insurmountable.

Cut our loses? This isnt a last place team, guy. You cant do that shit

NYRanger11
06-14-2014, 10:33 AM
If we don't get rid of Nash or Richards how can we get keep Moore, Zucc, Kreider, ect

Mario25
06-14-2014, 10:37 AM
I would keep Boyle and look to upgrade the defense some. We need a big, physical defenseman and a point guy like Dan Boyle for shots from the blueline. Buyout Richards and look to improve over Klein and Stralman.

josh
06-14-2014, 10:37 AM
If we don't get rid of Nash or Richards how can we get keep Moore, Zucc, Kreider, ect

Something will be done. Plus, the cap is going up, significantly.

Cash or Czech?
06-14-2014, 10:39 AM

Hopefully one that can keep up with the rest of the team, since Richards couldn't even keep up with the "speed" of Boyle.

Cash or Czech?
06-14-2014, 10:41 AM
lol, yeah. Everyone is screaming Paul Stastny, but let's be honest, that dude showed up this year, his contract year.

At best, he's a 20-something goal, 30-something assist center... much like Brad Richards, and Stastny will be more expensive.

All of this in addition to missing time due to injury in every season since his rookie year.

Dunny
06-14-2014, 10:41 AM
Staal reunion in NYC.

Cash or Czech?
06-14-2014, 10:42 AM
He lacks size and speed, but not shot strength. He scored a goal straight on from almost the red line. He has a great shot, and has been successful in every situation he has been in. He plays every facet of the game, has gotten a lot better on face-offs and is out there for key face-offs in both zones. He has two missing elements, size and speed, but I can deal with that, and that doesn't make him or the team weak. What makes us a weak team down the middle, is the fact that after him you have Brassard, who is very very streaky, and then no one. He has produced in that top position. What are your requirements for a top line center that he lacks?

Game breaking ability. Being dangerous with the puck as both a shooter and a passer. Stepan is a good player with good hands, but he's not a game breaker. He's not elite talent. He doesn't make the other team cover him more than usual. Stepan would be the perfect 2nd line center. If we push him down into that role by bringing in a top guy to play with Nash and whoever else, we'd be in great shape.

NYR2711
06-14-2014, 10:45 AM
I would keep Boyle and look to upgrade the defense some. We need a big, physical defenseman and a point guy like Dan Boyle for shots from the blueline. Buyout Richards and look to improve over Klein and Stralman.

I agree with this. Stralman is going to be overpaid, and Klein never really impressed me here. Id rather spend their money on a top defenseman that can hit and shoot the puck. We have too many defensemen that are the same.

Morphinity
06-14-2014, 10:50 AM
:tweet: @capgeek
The #NHL buyout period begins Monday morning. Ordinary-course buyouts http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-do-buyouts-work … and compliance buyouts http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-do-compliance-buyouts-work …

Get your checkbook ready. Brad Richards Watch 2014 begins Monday!

!br-avery!
06-14-2014, 10:57 AM
I'm done with Nash and I like the guy and want to like him so much but it's time to see what he could get

Mario25
06-14-2014, 11:13 AM
Is Mcilrath the big, rough Beukeboom Defenseman we need or is he a fighter only? Havent seen enough of him to know. I like our 4th line with a Dorsett/Thornton from Bruins combo with Boyle and Moore.

Cash or Czech?
06-14-2014, 11:16 AM
Is Mcilrath the big, rough Beukeboom Defenseman we need or is he a fighter only? Havent seen enough of him to know. I like our 4th line with a Dorsett/Thornton from Bruins combo with Boyle and Moore.

We probably aren't going to find out with Klein signed for four more seasons and his play not warranting more than a third pairing spot. IMO he makes the team as the 7th defenseman and slowly gets cycled in to being a regular.

Drew a Penalty
06-14-2014, 11:21 AM
The only thing that worries be about McIlrath is really his skating. He's a good skater for his size, but I feel like he'll get exposed after watching players like Staal and Girardi get danced around. I want to see him play, but I don't like him in comparison to more mobile defenders in the system like Skjei and Allen. I just don't know where he falls in and whether or not he really is a long term option for a team that needs mobile defensemen. His net presence is something that's desirable, but I'd also much rather have a guy who can distribute the puck.

josh
06-14-2014, 11:23 AM
Players skate right at Staal and Girardi bc their lack of physical play. You cant skate in on McIlrath the same way

Drew a Penalty
06-14-2014, 11:31 AM
Players skate right at Staal and Girardi bc their lack of physical play. You cant skate in on McIlrath the same way

You can get around him. Just because he's physical doesn't mean you can't get around him. They got caught flat footed and McIlrath would have the same happen to him. I don't think physicality has much to do with that. That's actually something McIlrath has struggled with.

josh
06-14-2014, 11:34 AM
You can get around him. Just because he's physical doesn't mean you can't get around him. They got caught flat footed and McIlrath would have the same happen to him. I don't think physicality has much to do with that. That's actually something McIlrath has struggled with.

I was a small speedy forward. It matters.

Drew a Penalty
06-14-2014, 11:37 AM

I sort of am as well, depending on how you want to define speed.

Unless McIlrath is putting himself in a position to obstruct you, he's not really going to make a difference. Players were absolutely bombarding our defensemen and getting around them in ways that contact wouldn't easily be initiated. I'd honestly be worried about McIlrath getting caught flat footed and getting caught trying to initiate contact.

Mario25
06-14-2014, 11:38 AM
I feel that the problem with Rangers defense is not standing up and playing the man. There is a bit too much poke checking etc.. Staal and Girardi are big culprits with this. It was a great run and now taking the final step is the Ranger Management next challenge! Hope they dont blow it!

josh
06-14-2014, 11:53 AM

Unless McIlrath is putting himself in a position to obstruct you, he's not really going to make a difference. Players were absolutely bombarding our defensemen and getting around them in ways that contact wouldn't easily be initiated. I'd honestly be worried about McIlrath getting caught flat footed and getting caught trying to initiate contact.
Staal (essentially all Rangers D) - push the puck into his feet, 1 stride and there is separation.
McIlrath you have to skate around.

I'm just saying its a different approach you have to be mindful of as an opponent. Our lines were
So diverse. Our d was predictable. It's why LA had a field day after the first period. Every game.

Cash or Czech?
06-14-2014, 12:07 PM

It's called angling to the boards and then taking them out. It's a coaching concept that can be taught and when you have a mean streak like McIlrath does, it can be very effective. While I'm excited for Skjei and Allen to continue developing and maybe have an impact on our roster down the road, we realistically have one spot open on the right side unless we re-sign Stralman. It looks like Skjei is staying in school at least another year and Allen plays the left side where we have McDonagh, Staal and Moore (RFA). Not much space for new blood there unless we make a move.

We never really punished the Kings' forwards down low. McIlrath has a skill set that we really could use.

josh
06-14-2014, 12:14 PM
I think our biggest need is a C that can finish. With St Louis and Zuccs, we lack a middle man with a shooting/scoring mentality.

Drew a Penalty
06-14-2014, 12:32 PM
It's called angling to the boards and then taking them out. It's a coaching concept that can be taught and when you have a mean streak like McIlrath does, it can be very effective. While I'm excited for Skjei and Allen to continue developing and maybe have an impact on our roster down the road, we realistically have one spot open on the right side unless we re-sign Stralman. It looks like Skjei is staying in school at least another year and Allen plays the left side where we have McDonagh, Staal and Moore (RFA). Not much space for new blood there unless we make a move.

We never really punished the Kings' forwards down low. McIlrath has a skill set that we really could use.

Allen plays the right side. He's left handed, but he's almost exclusively played the right side.

Cash or Czech?
06-14-2014, 01:23 PM
Allen plays the right side. He's left handed, but he's almost exclusively played the right side.

Then more competition, which is good. Nothing like two teammates pushing each other to be better. It might be the smarter option than bringing in a high-priced free agent in a weak pool to choose from.

Vodka Drunkenski
06-14-2014, 01:25 PM
I think Staal gets moved by the draft.

Captain Clutch
06-14-2014, 01:32 PM
Any odds Washington may try to move Ovechkin?

Bugg
06-14-2014, 01:42 PM
I'd like to keep both Stepsn and Brass but this team STILL needs a real first line center. No idea how they'll get one but it's needed. And a PP QB, but we've needed that for years.Wonder in McDonough is that guy, we simply didn't see it fully until the playoffs. Richards on the point pretty much ran the PP(into the ground), and Mack didn't get much of a chance despite really becoming an offensive force. And when he did he had the big shot hey've needed forever.

Think we're stuck with Nash. Need to figure him out. And need to integrate young guys like Miller instead of overpaying retreads. Assuming Richards is bought out Stasny is intriguing.Among Boyle, Moore and Stralman figure we have only enough cap space to sign 2 of the 3. If McIrath is ready Stralman may be gone.

Bugg
06-14-2014, 01:43 PM
I think Staal gets moved by the draft.Is the new Carolina management still on board with the Staal family reunion? And what would they see as a fair trade?Would such a move be more or less likely if Ulfie gets their HC job?

CreaseCrusader91
06-14-2014, 01:50 PM
Just an FYI how free agency this year will be different. You can now legally negotiate with free agents prior to July 1. Previously you could talk 48 hours before. Now you can talk for five full days. http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/10/nhl-to-set-specific-guidelines-for-next-years-free-agent-interview-period/

So a basic breakdown of big events.

Buyouts- 6/16 TO 6/30
UFA Interviews- 6/25 to 6/30
Draft- 6/27,6/28
UFA- 7/1

Puck Head
06-14-2014, 02:11 PM

Then you know how easy of targets defenseman like Mcilrath were.

Mario25
06-14-2014, 02:18 PM
How about Staal for that young goal scorer Skinner? He has 2 30 goal seasons already and he is 22-23?

jrc64
06-14-2014, 02:23 PM

Stastny has a faceoff win % over 50%. What's Richards? Also....younger and much more upside.

Phil in Absentia
06-14-2014, 02:28 PM
Upside and UFA go together like oil and water.

Stastny is younger, I'll give you that, but he has no more upside. His best days are behind him, as they are for all UFA players on average. Remember, scoring forwards especially hit their best numbers from 23-27. Stastny is what, 28 now? His window is now closing, not opening. It's not closed, but it's not going to get any wider.

My advice to anyone talking free agents this summer is to understand that any being brought in are being brought in to win within a window of time, and will only get worse as each year passes on their contracts.

Puck Head
06-14-2014, 02:40 PM
I still think we need a 3rd Centerman in the mold of a Kesler, Dubinsky or Richards.

Size and strength, and can play up and down depth chart.

Problem is those type of guys aren't easily avail

Rangers
06-14-2014, 03:21 PM
to Winnipeg
Nash + Staal

To New York Rangers
Kane + 1st round pick and 2nd round pick

Resign Stralman?!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
To Oilers
Nash + Staal

To New York Rangers
Nail Yakupov + 1st in 2014 and 1st in 2015
-----------------------------------------------------------------

As much as I would hate to trade Staal, we can use him to move Nash to get our selves younger with more scoring touch and get some draft picks back that we gave up for MSL.
We will also free up a load of cap space to allow our selves to improve further.
We can also resign Stralman!

josh
06-14-2014, 03:25 PM
Those proposals are disastrous for each team involved.

And you cant thro

Just, no. Not close on either

ThirtyONE
06-14-2014, 03:26 PM
A first or second line center with size should be our most pressing target for this summer. 2nd is someone who can get a shot through on the PP.

Hopefully a lot of these guys return next season.

josh
06-14-2014, 03:30 PM
Then you know how easy of targets defenseman like Mcilrath were.

Speed wasnt an issue in the series.

josh
06-14-2014, 03:38 PM
Stastny has a faceoff win % over 50%. What's Richards? Also....younger and much more upside.

To compare, they would be of similar age when signed by the Rangers. While not possessing the winning mentality or leadership of Richards, Stastny has only out produced Richards once, and will have a higher cap hit.

ThirtyONE
06-14-2014, 03:41 PM
Young means under 26. If you want someone like that it'll have to be a trade.

Phil in Absentia
06-14-2014, 03:54 PM
:tweet: @Sportsnet: #Canadiens trade Louis Leblanc to #Ducks for conditional fifth round draft pick in 2015. http://t.co/8mp2nnKZOR #NHL

jrc64
06-14-2014, 04:06 PM
Here's some food for thought. Trade Nash for quality pick or prospects. THEN.....sign Moulson as a free agent. Basically same age, and puts up points with some quality around him, AND he's much cheaper than Nash!

ThirtyONE
06-14-2014, 04:12 PM
Here's some food for thought. Trade Nash for quality pick or prospects. THEN.....sign Moulson as a free agent. Basically same age, and puts up points with some quality around him, AND he's much cheaper than Nash!

Not a bad thought but I don't really see any way that Nash gets traded. The rangers won't give up on him this early, even if they should. I think we should just assume he'll be back next season

Dunny
06-14-2014, 04:16 PM
Both Staal brothers from Carolina for both our marshmellow C's and whatever else they want within reason, though I don't know what that would be.

ThirtyONE
06-14-2014, 04:33 PM
Both Staal brothers from Carolina for both our marshmellow C's and whatever else they want within reason, though I don't know what that would be.

I'm not in love with either of the Carolina Staal brothers. Marc is the best Staal IMO.

CreaseCrusader91
06-14-2014, 05:33 PM
Would anyone try to package Staal, JT Miller+ for Edmonton's No. 3 pick and one of their scoring forwards? This way you can resign Stralman and it gives room for a young D to fight for spot?

Phil in Absentia
06-14-2014, 05:35 PM
Would anyone try to package Staal, JT Miller+ for Edmonton's No. 3 pick and one of their scoring forwards? This way you can resign Stralman and it gives room for a young D to fight for spot?

Staal, Miller, Plus might get you the number three pick. Might.

josh
06-14-2014, 05:38 PM

Its going to take a lot to get one of their top players (Hall, Yaks, or RNH). Those discussions start with McDonagh, even before they add a lottery pick.

Although I would not hesitate trading a guy like Staal, I don't think Yakupov or Hall is what this team needs. We're looking at a team that is Stepan - empty - empty - empty up the middle, right now, while having Kreider, Nash, Hagelin, St Louis and Zuccs. I think the focus has to be on getting a shooting center, hopefully a guy that can eventually be a top liner, too.

jrc64
06-14-2014, 05:50 PM

Not a bad thought, but I'm personally not sold on trading Miller just yet.

momentum
06-14-2014, 06:12 PM

Not a bad thought, after these playoffs im not super hyped on Staal and would want to resign Stralman before him, and I like Miller but for a number 3 pick this package is something I would consider.

Bugg
06-14-2014, 07:26 PM
to Winnipeg
Nash + Staal

To New York Rangers
Kane + 1st round pick and 2nd round pick

Resign Stralman?!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
To Oilers
Nash + Staal

To New York Rangers
Nail Yakupov + 1st in 2014 and 1st in 2015
-----------------------------------------------------------------

As much as I would hate to trade Staal, we can use him to move Nash to get our selves younger with more scoring touch and get some draft picks back that we gave up for MSL.
We will also free up a load of cap space to allow our selves to improve further.
We can also resign Stralman!Problem is Yakupov like Radulov or Kovlachuck could wake up some Tuesday morning and say, to hell with this North American thing, I'm going to the KHL to get paud more, play less, have a shorter season and be home. Same is true of most Russian players. Where will the Caps be if and when Ovie has had enough. And if you deal for either and that comes to pass you have nothing.

Puck Head
06-14-2014, 09:33 PM
Speed wasnt an issue in the series.

With Mcikrath it would have been.
Out defenseman not named McD struggled with it.

Mcilrath would have been a mess.
He's a minor leaguer for a reason

josh
06-14-2014, 09:35 PM
I wasn't suggesting he be playing. I meant moving forward. He has growing to do, but his speed isnt terrible compared to our current defenseman, other than Moore (although he doesn't know how to use it) and McD

Jules
06-14-2014, 09:38 PM
This team just made the Stanley Cup Final and some of you are looking to pretty much blow it up. I agree that if the right trade arises they should be willing to make a big deal, but I can't see Edmonton trading Yakupov for Nash or that anyone is going to pay a king's ransom for Staal. I think aside from a change down the middle and maybe a new face on defense to replace Stralman, this team doesn't need much to be equally good. Our strength with team depth and having great players on each line and a top level fourth line and we should work to keep that idea, and likely with those same players, together.

Sure, if someone is willing to trade for Nash for a good 2nd line winger, a prospect and a high pick I'll consider it, but he was fine in the regular season and those games count very much as well.

Rangers
06-14-2014, 09:48 PM
This team just made the Stanley Cup Final and some of you are looking to pretty much blow it up. I agree that if the right trade arises they should be willing to make a big deal, but I can't see Edmonton trading Yakupov for Nash or that anyone is going to pay a king's ransom for Staal. I think aside from a change down the middle and maybe a new face on defense to replace Stralman, this team doesn't need much to be equally good. Our strength with team depth and having great players on each line and a top level fourth line and we should work to keep that idea, and likely with those same players, together.

Sure, if someone is willing to trade for Nash for a good 2nd line winger, a prospect and a high pick I'll consider it, but he was fine in the regular season and those games count very much as well.

While regular season games account for a playoff spot, they do not win you a Cup! I think it would be ok to trade Staal and Nash, and buy out Richards, if this will allow us to resign every one on our fourth line and improve our first and second lines.

Phil in Absentia
06-14-2014, 10:00 PM

Not me. My off-season plan breaks down like this:

• Richards is bought out by default. Money used to retain RFA's (Zucc, Brassard, Kreider).

• Nash I'd deal but only if we're getting value back. Otherwise he stays another year and we revisit mid-year. I mentioned wanting two cost controlled forwards and/or a young 4/5 D. Not that this deal would go through, but think Nash for any two of Toffoli, Pearson or Martinez.

• Target a center replacement to fill the void left by Richards. If it's UFA, I'd go with a relatively inexpensive third line center who can slot up and down the line-up as needed. David Legwand or Dave Bolland. Much as I'd like Spezza (and he's more than a third line center, for the record), I'm not sure we can afford to deal for him.

• Address the third pairing. If Strålman can't be re-signed (and we need to face the reality he may not be) and Klein is kept, that third pairing goes to Conor Allen/Dylan McIlrath or the Rangers shop again in free agency for a capable veteran. I'd take Robidas on a one or two-year deal.

• Re-sign Dominic Moore and Benoit Pouliot. Boyle, Strålman, Díaz and Carcillo may just be cap casualties depending on ask.

That's about it.

ThirtyONE
06-14-2014, 10:31 PM

• Richards is bought out by default. Money used to retain RFA's (Zucc, Brassard, Kreider).

• Nash I'd deal but only if we're getting value back. Otherwise he stays another year and we revisit mid-year. I mentioned wanting two cost controlled forwards and/or a young 4/5 D. Not that this deal would go through, but think Nash for any two of Toffoli, Pearson or Martinez.

• Target a center replacement to fill the void left by Richards. If it's UFA, I'd go with a relatively inexpensive third line center who can slot up and down the line-up as needed. David Legwand or Dave Bolland. Much as I'd like Spezza (and he's more than a third line center, for the record), I'm not sure we can afford to deal for him.

• Address the third pairing. If Strålman can't be re-signed (and we need to face the reality he may not be) and Klein is kept, that third pairing goes to Conor Allen/Dylan McIlrath or the Rangers shop again in free agency for a capable veteran. I'd take Robidas on a one or two-year deal.

• Re-sign Dominic Moore and Benoit Pouliot. Boyle, Strålman, Díaz and Carcillo may just be cap casualties depending on ask.

That's about it.

Pretty much my exact thoughts. Another year older for Kreider and a full season in the NHL. That's like adding a new player. And the hole left by Richards isn't a big one. I say start the season with McIlrath or Allen as the 6th and see where they are in December before filling that with a UFA who's likely to be overpaid for that kind of role. I stay away from Spezza. I stay away from Statsny. If someone not mentioned is available, take a look, but there is no need to blow anything up here.

RangersRule2
06-15-2014, 12:23 AM
I think it's a 2015 event since they got a new coach, but Ovechkin could be on the block down the line.

Jules
06-15-2014, 12:30 AM

That's about it.

Nicely summed up what I'd do at most. I am fine with keeping this group together as it is and just replace Richards by a lesser name and less salary, because we all know that player will likely produce equal points and might have more left in the tank than Richards did for this run. I really hope Boyle can be retained and I might retain him over Dom Moore. I'm not sure who else would be there, but I've soured on Pouliot with his dumb penalties all the time. So from your list: I'd keep the three listed of course, doubts about Pouliot and I'd take Boyle over Dom Moore, but would really love to keep both.

I think the Nash deal and how it hurt our depth was a wise lesson for everybody. It's why I want no part of trading for any big name right now. This group is good and with tweaks can be even better. Let's stick with that plan, unless... well, an insane opportunity occurs.

CreaseCrusader91
06-15-2014, 01:21 AM
Nicely summed up what I'd do at most. I am fine with keeping this group together as it is and just replace Richards by a lesser name and less salary, because we all know that player will likely produce equal points and might have more left in the tank than Richards did for this run. I really hope Boyle can be retained and I might retain him over Dom Moore. I'm not sure who else would be there, but I've soured on Pouliot with his dumb penalties all the time. So from your list: I'd keep the three listed of course, doubts about Pouliot and I'd take Boyle over Dom Moore, but would really love to keep both.

I think the Nash deal and how it hurt our depth was a wise lesson for everybody. It's why I want no part of trading for any big name right now. This group is good and with tweaks can be even better. Let's stick with that plan, unless... well, an insane opportunity occurs.

Just saying, Pouliot drew more penalties than he took this season.

NYR2711
06-15-2014, 04:29 AM

That's about it.

I agree with most of what you said here. My only disagreements are that I would let Stralman walk, he is gonna get more money than he is worth. I would also try to move Klein, to me, he wasn't that impressive back there for the money he is making. I would also try to re-sign Boyle. Losing him is a huge blow to our PK, which is our strongest point in games, plus he is a huge guy in the locker room. I don't want to see what happened when Prust left happen again, this would be an even bigger void than Prust.

kerrs7
06-15-2014, 07:45 AM
Moore and Boyle must stay...buy out Richards

DiJock94
06-15-2014, 08:48 AM
Richards buyout and retain everyone. Miller will slot in as the third line center for sure.

jsm7302
06-15-2014, 08:49 AM
Buy out Richards and replace with a 2nd/3rd line cost controlled center. Let Stralman walk and bring up McIlrath for 3rd pair. Retain everyone else. Keeps the core together even though losing Richards will shake up the locker room. I think it is necessary to retain the majority of a team whom was 3 OT periods away from a Stanley cup. Get err done.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Flynn
06-15-2014, 09:02 AM
I hope Slats is able to find a partner with Nash. He's a proven commodity in the regular season, but his soft persona makes him useless in the post season. 35 games is more than enough of a sample to call him a playoff bust. Hell, trade him for Joe Thornton straight up if you need to. Rick Nash is never going to get it done here, he needs a change of scenery.

Cutting Richards only does so much, 7 ufa's is a big deal. Even if you kept that core, who takes the point on the PP? Who is the top line center (Stepan is a #2) There are still holes, some glaring. I think that a couple of big moves need to happen. Nash and Staal on the block can hopefully net a return that fills some holes.

DiJock94
06-15-2014, 09:07 AM
We took a young team to the cup finals. All we need to do is what the devils used to do. Keep the team together and keep competing

Jules
06-15-2014, 11:22 AM
Just saying, Pouliot drew more penalties than he took this season.

It wasn't an issue early on, but how was that ratio in the postseason? That's where it started to really stand out and hurt us.

Phil in Absentia
06-15-2014, 11:27 AM

I agree with most of what you said here. My only disagreements are that I would let Stralman walk, he is gonna get more money than he is worth. I would also try to move Klein, to me, he wasn't that impressive back there for the money he is making. I would also try to re-sign Boyle. Losing him is a huge blow to our PK, which is our strongest point in games, plus he is a huge guy in the locker room. I don't want to see what happened when Prust left happen again, this would be an even bigger void than Prust.

I try to keep Strålman and Boyle too, but there's no guarantee there with either as they both have proven they are "worth" their payday they'll get come July 1st. The Rangers simply can't be the team to give it to them at max value. We're talking $4M, maybe $4.5M for Strålman and $3M for Boyle. How are you gonna make that work and still retain all your younger pieces and still actually get better?

It's not a matter of not wanting them. It's a matter of not seeing a picture where the Rangers can actually afford them.

As to Moore over Boyle? The reason for that is speed. In this "system", for this coach, it's a premium, so I'll almost always defer to someone with it over someone without it.

Dunny
06-15-2014, 11:34 AM
Stralman needs to go. He has no identity. He came in to the league with some offensive upside that has completely disappeared with his need to just survive defensively. Now your left with an undersized, weak defensive D-man on a team that is already to soft for my liking. He was a solid guy for us, but imo an easy target to let go.

Pete
06-15-2014, 11:39 AM
Stralman needs to stay. He's one of the quicker D, never had an issue reading coverage in the new system, can make a first pass. Probably the best right handed shooting D we have. I'd move the other 2 before I moved him.

Drew a Penalty
06-15-2014, 11:43 AM
Stralman needs to stay. He's one of the quicker D, never had an issue reading coverage in the new system, can make a first pass. Probably the best right handed shooting D we have. I'd move the other 2 before I moved him.

Same. He's also a guy who steps up big time in the playoffs. With the exception of the early games in the Montréal series he made strong plays throughout the playoffs. I'd sooner trade Klein in order to free up some space to pay Stralman and just replace Klein with Conor Allen.

momentum
06-15-2014, 11:45 AM
Stralman needs to go. He has no identity. He came in to the league with some offensive upside that has completely disappeared with his need to just survive defensively. Now your left with an undersized, weak defensive D-man on a team that is already to soft for my liking. He was a solid guy for us, but imo an easy target to let go.

He's neither undersized or weak defensively or soft, in fact he's one our better hitters on the team when he hits and is a good skater with good instincts. Yes he doesn't put up huge offensive numbers but he has compensated by becoming so much better defensively. At this point I would try my best to keep Stralman and perhaps look what I could get for Staal who on the other hand has been disappointing imo, Staal has gone from being talked about the way we talk about McD to becoming inconsistent defensively and not much offense either. I feel he and Stralman basically brings the same thing at this point but Stralman does so much cheaper. Staal might still have value enough to make him interesting in a trade.

Phil in Absentia
06-15-2014, 11:46 AM

What other two?

Everyone has a price cap. My concern with Stråls is that he comes in asking well above what the Rangers can afford. He's worth more to the market than he is to this team. He's going to get Hjalmarsson money. $4.1M over five years.

Pete
06-15-2014, 11:47 AM
What other two?

Everyone has a price cap. My concern with Stråls is that he comes in asking well above what the Rangers can afford. He's worth more to the market than he is to this team. He's going to get Hjalmarsson money. $4.1M over five years.

I'd take him over G and Klein.

Phil in Absentia
06-15-2014, 11:48 AM
I'd take him over G and Klein.

So would I, but G is untradeable. Full NMC for the next three years, starting right from the point he signed the extension.

Klein you can probably flip. But that's risky. I'd want Strålman signed before I traded him.

josh
06-15-2014, 11:51 AM
Can't afford to keep Stralman. He will get offers upwards of 5m per season.

Drew a Penalty
06-15-2014, 11:54 AM
Can't afford to keep Stralman. He will get offers upwards of 5m per season.

On the open market. Not if we resign him beforehand.

momentum
06-15-2014, 11:54 AM
So would I, but G is untradeable. Full NMC for the next three years, starting right from the point he signed the extension.

Klein you can probably flip. But that's risky. I'd want Strålman signed before I traded him.

I would want to keep Stralman and Klein and Girardi and McD on our defense. that leaves moore who I like and staal....in my opinion of the defense the one that stands out as most disappointing and has them most value in a trade is M. Staal. I really feel he's expendable.

Pete
06-15-2014, 11:57 AM
I'm not seeing a $5 million offer for a 1g 12a defenseman. Someone desperately needing D MIGHT go $4.

Phil in Absentia
06-15-2014, 12:14 PM
I'm not seeing a $5 million offer for a 1g 12a defenseman. Someone desperately needing D MIGHT go $4.

For Strålman? Hjalmarsson money. $4.1M over five years. That's what he'll be looking for IMO.

And he'll get it. Or damn close to it.

ThirtyONE
06-15-2014, 12:37 PM
Cup run does a lot for you. Some team will pay him. Not sure he's worth more than he's currently getting but I can't be mad at him for taking a paycheck.

Blue Heaven
06-15-2014, 12:52 PM
Do the Rangers re-sign Stralman and look into trading Staal? I would assume Staal has regained his trade value where he can now bring in some assets to the Rangers via able to trade him as part of a package for Spezza, or get draft picks in return and at the same time saves the Rangers in some cap space for other moves.

DiJock94
06-15-2014, 01:07 PM
Do the Rangers re-sign Stralman and look into trading Staal? I would assume Staal has regained his trade value where he can now bring in some assets to the Rangers via able to trade him as part of a package for Spezza, or get draft picks in return and at the same time saves the Rangers in some cap space for other moves.

I like the idea of trading Staal for picks. Maybe to Carolina, Conor Allen looked like a pretty capable leftie.

Jules
06-15-2014, 01:21 PM
I like the idea of trading Staal for picks. Maybe to Carolina, Conor Allen looked like a pretty capable leftie.

I don't want to bank on Conor Allen to replace Marc Staal. Trading Staal is a great example of "you don't know what you've got until it's gone." We're going to regret it.

DiJock94
06-15-2014, 01:30 PM
I don't want to bank on Conor Allen to replace Marc Staal. Trading Staal is a great example of "you don't know what you've got until it's gone." We're going to regret it.

He makes 4 mil now. What's it going to cost to keep him?

Cash or Czech?
06-15-2014, 01:32 PM
For Strålman? Hjalmarsson money. $4.1M over five years. That's what he'll be looking for IMO.

And he'll get it. Or damn close to it.

Unfortunately I'm thinking it could be closer to MacDonald money as a free agent. Someone will probably offer him something in between and that might be too expensive for us.

Cash or Czech?
06-15-2014, 01:38 PM

With Henrik 31 years old and not getting any younger, you don't trade an established top-4 defenseman for picks to draft prospects that won't have an influence for the next several years. We just were in the Stanley Cup Final. You trade Staal if you're rebuilding. We aren't.

AmericanJesus
06-15-2014, 03:01 PM

This. I think they just need to move on from McDonagh and concentrate on working with Stralman as far as offense/PP. I wouldn't break the bank, but 3 years $11m or so if he wants to stay. He'll be able to get more on the open market but likely not from a cup contender which we now have to be considered.

Captain Clutch
06-15-2014, 03:08 PM
It would be nice to see Stralman used on the PP more if he is re-signed. Taking Girardi off would be good.

DiJock94
06-15-2014, 03:10 PM
With Henrik 31 years old and not getting any younger, you don't trade an established top-4 defenseman for picks to draft prospects that won't have an influence for the next several years. We just were in the Stanley Cup Final. You trade Staal if you're rebuilding. We aren't.

Or if you need to clear some salary to retain players like Zucc kreider brassard stralman. If much rather have stralman than staal to be honest.

AmericanJesus
06-15-2014, 03:26 PM
Or if you need to clear some salary to retain players like Zucc kreider brassard stralman. If much rather have stralman than staal to be honest.

Staal is a damn good defender. I think a lot of judgement on defenders are because of way over examining single mistakes or bad games. Good D is rarely sexy. We never have entire threads about a good stick or muscling a guy off the puck saving a goal. Staal and Girardi do those things 100 times for every bad turnover.

Cash or Czech?
06-15-2014, 03:29 PM

Buying out Richards and the salary cap rising takes care of that. No reason to trade a reliable defender in addition to that.

AmericanJesus
06-15-2014, 03:31 PM
Buying out Richards and the salary cap rising takes care of that. No reason to trade a reliable defender in addition to that.

Should have that cap number any day as well.

BlairBettsBlocksEverything
06-15-2014, 04:00 PM

Gotta let Allen establish himself before you make room for him trade a guy whose been a constant on your blue line

Besides, Staal is good. When our D is at their best, McDonaght, Girardi (I know, bad playoffs, whatever), and Staal as your top 3 D is something you can't take for granted

TwoMinutesForNothing
06-15-2014, 04:03 PM
This. I think they just need to move on from McDonagh and concentrate on working with Stralman as far as offense/PP. I wouldn't break the bank, but 3 years $11m or so if he wants to stay. He'll be able to get more on the open market but likely not from a cup contender which we now have to be considered.

Move on from McDonagh? What do you mean by this?

Cash or Czech?
06-15-2014, 04:06 PM

As far as offense goes, I'm assuming. They don't want to rely on him for 28 minutes a game like they have been. We're really lacking in that area and Stralman has had success as an offensive defenseman before with the Blue Jackets in 2009-10. He changed his game to come back into the NHL but we need more of his offensive game to reflect for our squad. It would be a huge boost if he could find a healthy balance between his attacking and defending instead of having to find it elsewhere with a new player.

TwoMinutesForNothing
06-15-2014, 04:08 PM
As far as offense goes, I'm assuming. They don't want to rely on him for 28 minutes a game like they have been. We're really lacking in that area and Stralman has had success as an offensive defenseman before with the Blue Jackets in 2009-10. He changed his game to come back into the NHL but we need more of his offensive game to reflect for our squad. It would be a huge boost if he could find a healthy balance between his attacking and defending instead of having to find it elsewhere with a new player.

McDonagh is an elite defenseman and he should be playing those minutes, just like every other elite defenseman in the league. You don't take him off the PP.

Cash or Czech?
06-15-2014, 04:09 PM
McDonagh is an elite defenseman and he should be playing those minutes, just like every other elite defenseman in the league. You don't take him off the PP.

But with the Richards buyout, we don't want to wear out McDonagh by keeping him out there for two minutes. John Moore's offense lies more in his ability to rush the puck. It leaves us down a PPQB. Stralman could be the answer.

TwoMinutesForNothing
06-15-2014, 04:15 PM
I love Stralman, but he's had chances on the PP with us before and hasn't done much. I hope they bring Stralsy back, but I also hope they move Klein to open up a spot to let McIlrath, Bodie, and Moore battle it out for the last 2 spots. Maybe Bodie can make an impact in that role eventually.

AmericanJesus
06-15-2014, 04:15 PM

They obviously focused quite a bit in figuring out some game plans offensively featuring McD. I'm sure spent time and effort on that and to do that having Richards with him on the PP as more of an experience point man made it smoother. McD this year probably wouldn't need the same coaching attention and you could maybe ad Stralman on the PP point and concentrate more in developing his offense.

It would have been more difficult to try to work on both defenders offensive games at the same time. And it might have led to a less steady defense as well.

Chizz
06-15-2014, 04:16 PM
Let Stralman walk and have Diaz take his spot. Diaz filled in nicely when called upon. If I remember correctly, Stralman already turned down an offer from Sather that was somewhere in the 3 year 10 mil range.

Phil in Absentia
06-15-2014, 04:18 PM
Let Stralman walk and have Diaz take his spot. Diaz filled in nicely when called upon. If I remember correctly, Stralman already turned down an offer from Sather that was somewhere in the 3 year 10 mil range.

They don't compare. Díaz filled in nicely on the power play. At ES he's clearly a depth defender with plenty of defensive deficiencies. Strålman is a top-4 D who is reliable in both ends of the rink.

AmericanJesus
06-15-2014, 04:19 PM

I thought that was a rumor that got shot down?

And Diaz couldn't move a guy off our third pair. He's not an answer and I doubt he's re-signed.

TwoMinutesForNothing
06-15-2014, 04:20 PM
Diaz is solid, but too slow to succeed as a top 4 for us.

Chizz
06-15-2014, 04:21 PM
I never said they compared. We have a lot of money tied up in our defense. We simply can't afford to have another $3.5-$4.5 m defenseman. Diaz gives us a cheap option on defense and one that won't make us rip our hair out.

Phil in Absentia
06-15-2014, 04:23 PM
I never said they compared. We have a lot of money tied up in our defense. We simply can't afford to have another $3.5-$4.5 m defenseman. Diaz gives us a cheap option on defense and one that won't make us rip our hair out.

Except he will. There's a reason he's been moved around this much over his career. I doubt the Rangers even re-sign him. He's basically a new-age Marc-André Bergeron.

Cash or Czech?
06-15-2014, 04:25 PM

The Kings' four most expensive D have a combined cap hit of $17.667M. Our top three cost $12M That's $5.667M difference so spending $3.5-4M on a defender makes complete sense.

Chizz
06-15-2014, 04:26 PM
Except he will. There's a reason he's been moved around this much over his career. I doubt the Rangers even re-sign him. He's basically a new-age Marc-André Bergeron.

Sign him as our 6th dman and move everyone up a slot. That's what I'd like to see. I liked him on the PP too. He keeps it simple. Get the puck and shoot. He's not a talented dman, he just does what's asked of him.

Chizz
06-15-2014, 04:27 PM
The Kings' four most expensive D have a combined cap hit of $17.667M. Our top three cost $12M That's $5.667M difference so spending $3.5-4M on a defender makes complete sense.

Yeah and they have a ton of players who can score. We don't. We need to spend that money on offense not defense.

TwoMinutesForNothing
06-15-2014, 04:28 PM
Sign him as our 6th dman and move everyone up a slot. That's what I'd like to see. I liked him on the PP too. He keeps it simple. Get the puck and shoot. He's not a talented dman, he just does what's asked of him.

I talked to someone that spoke to Beukeboom at the hockey house thing and he told them that the team thinks McIlrath is ready. Obviously that still has to be seen, but if they do open up a spot on the right side I think he would be expected to fill it before they would be bringing in vets to do it.

Cash or Czech?
06-15-2014, 04:28 PM
Yeah and they have a ton of players who can score. We don't. We need to spend that money on offense not defense.

There's plenty of cap space to go around and address all of our needs. If we spend money on offense and leave our D, we're going to struggle just as much. We need to be a complete team and adding a top-4 defenseman and a top line player should both be equal priorities.

Chizz
06-15-2014, 04:29 PM
I talked to someone that spoke to Beukeboom at the hockey house thing and he told them that the team thinks McIlrath is ready. Obviously that still has to be seen, but if they do open up a spot on the right side I think he would be expected to fill it before they would be bringing in vets to do it.

If that's the case then I'm all for it, but from the little I saw from him he wasn't ready. Hopefully he is read and then we sign Diaz as our 7.

josh
06-15-2014, 04:30 PM

We still cant pay that much for him. I cant justify more than 3m per. Even then, I think he's one of the few expendable players we have

Rangers
06-15-2014, 04:30 PM
It would be awesome if we could talk to Girardi and have him waive his NTC, so we can keep Stralman.

Phil in Absentia
06-15-2014, 04:32 PM

Good to know. Would probably signal the end of Strålman since he's a UFA, unless they can re-sign him and move Klein for picks.

TwoMinutesForNothing
06-15-2014, 04:34 PM
Good to know. Would probably signal the end of Strålman since he's a UFA, unless they can re-sign him and move Klein for picks.

That's what I'm hoping happens.

Rangers
06-15-2014, 04:35 PM

Picks would be awesome, this team needs them!

josh
06-15-2014, 04:36 PM
I don't think Stralman offers more than Klein. I'd rather have Klein, and that's before seeing next seasons contract.

Stralman is not the type of guy you make moves for to find him a spot. Sorry.

Rangers
06-15-2014, 04:42 PM
I think Stralman is better then Klein, Stralsy is the only D that put on hard hits at the blue line this year... Not too many of them but he did. Haven't seen Klein with any, maybe because we haven't seen enough of him.

We have D man that are fast, and can play smart hockey, but we don't have D man besides Stralsy that are willing to give punishing hits.

The only benefit to Klein is that his got a nice contract. If Dylan McIlrath is ready, we would be better with Klein, but then We have to worry about McIlrath's speed, he had issues with it.

AmericanJesus
06-15-2014, 04:43 PM
I don't think Stralman offers more than Klein. I'd rather have Klein, and that's before seeing next seasons contract.

Klein is paid way too much for the 13:00 role he's been playing. If he isn't going to slot up, I'd move him.

TwoMinutesForNothing
06-15-2014, 04:44 PM

They are about equal at defense positionally and with stick use. But it's not even close when it comes to moving the puck. Stralman is far superior at both making outlet passes and skating the puck out of trouble. Klein is very susceptible to pressure from the forecheck.

In an interview a few days ago Staal said that Stralman is the best on the team at getting the puck out of trouble and sometimes he just throws the puck over to Stralman's corner to let him deal with it when the forecheck is bearing down.

Dunny
06-15-2014, 04:48 PM
Klein is stronger than Stralman. Stralman falls apart in front of his own net. He's just too weak.

Dunny
06-15-2014, 05:02 PM
I hate to sound like I'm bashing Stralman all day either though. He's been great really, fantastic find by whoever pushed for him in the FO.

Rangers
06-15-2014, 05:10 PM
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Rumors-Ward-for-Marleaue3-and-10-more-BIG-rumors-for-Sunday/1/60627

"Flyers are looking at Brian Boyle and Benoit Pouliot"

This is not good! I don't want Flyers to have any of our boys.

I know it's Eklund, hope it's not true.

Pete
06-15-2014, 05:12 PM
I've heard that no one on the Rangers had any faith in McIlrath to be anything. He's probably the biggest draft regret since the lockout.

As bad as the right side D looks, he isn't a replacement for any of them.

Dunny
06-15-2014, 05:14 PM
No, you certainly can't go in to this season seriously thinking about depending on him for anything.

TwoMinutesForNothing
06-15-2014, 05:14 PM
I've heard that no one on the Rangers had any faith in McIlrath to be anything. He's probably the biggest draft regret since the lockout.

If that were the case he would have been traded by now because he still has a good amount of trade value.

Rangers
06-15-2014, 05:19 PM
I think bringing Beukeboom was a last resort so see if the kid would improve, I hope I'm wrong. If he is a bust, Most likely will be traded this summer.

Pete
06-15-2014, 05:19 PM
If that were the case he would have been traded by now because he still has a good amount of trade value.
Well, you're certainly entitled to that opinion, yet it's hardly a fact. There's a reason the Rangers are signing these undrafted D left and right, trading for Klein, Diaz, etc.

TwoMinutesForNothing
06-15-2014, 05:22 PM
Well, you're certainly entitled to that opinion, yet it's hardly a fact. There's a reason the Rangers are signing these undrafted D left and right, trading for Klein, Diaz, etc.

He hasn't proven he can't play yet and he still has value. They didn't believe in Sanguinetti and he was moved for a 2nd and a 6th. If they didn't believe in McIlrath then they would do the same, especially since we've lost some picks. I guess we'll see if he gets moved at the draft.

Pete
06-15-2014, 05:24 PM
He hasn't proven he can't play yet and he still has value. They didn't believe in Sanguinetti and he was moves for a 2nd and a 6th. If they didn't believe in McIlrath then they would do the same, especially since we've lost some picks. I guess we'll see if he gets moved at the draft.

I want nothing more than this guy to be what people want him to be. But every sign I see just points to it not happening.

Phil in Absentia
06-15-2014, 05:29 PM
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Rumors-Ward-for-Marleaue3-and-10-more-BIG-rumors-for-Sunday/1/60627

"Flyers are looking at Brian Boyle and Benoit Pouliot"

This is not good! I don't want Flyers to have any of our boys.

I know it's Eklund, hope it's not true.

That's all you need to know.

There was a rumor about Pouliot being of interest to the Flyers months ago, however, from the Philly beat.

TwoMinutesForNothing
06-15-2014, 05:31 PM
Hard to say he's not developing. His defense improved, plus player on a bad team, and he went from 0 goals and 5 assists 2 years ago to 6 goals and 17 points this season. That's what you want to see. When a player shows no progress is when you start to worry. People are just getting frustrated because they want to see immediate results. Bottom line is he is a defenseman and is only 22. He was never expected to make the jump quickly.

Drew a Penalty
06-15-2014, 05:34 PM
Hard to say he's not developing. His defense improved, plus player on a bad team, and he went from 0 goals and 5 assists 2 years ago to 6 goals and 17 points this season. That's what you want to see. When a player shows no progress is when you start to worry. People are just getting frustrated because they want to see immediate results. Bottom line is he is a defenseman and is only 22. He was never expected to make the jump quickly.

I'd definitely say McIlrath has developed. He's following his projected development path, but it was definitely hurt by his knee injury. I just don't know if he's actually ready right now. I still think he needs another full season or at least half a season, but I doubt they'd just throw him in. He's close, but not quite there.

Pete
06-15-2014, 05:36 PM

I'm simply repeating what I've heard the team feels internally. Not developing fast enough, not happy with the pick.

EDIT: Also, can't stay healthy.

Feeling is Tarasenko filled a bigger need, and was a miss.

I defended the McI pick for a few years, and kept telling Chappie to be quiet about Tarasenko, but at this point...it's hard to justify.

Phil in Absentia
06-15-2014, 05:37 PM

And D do tend to have a much longer progression arc. Few step into the NHL before the age of 22/23.

Captain Clutch
06-15-2014, 07:08 PM
Eklund rumors don't mean much. It's the equivalent to the scenarios we make up here.

momentum
06-15-2014, 07:18 PM
Klein is stronger than Stralman. Stralman falls apart in front of his own net. He's just too weak.

I just completely disagree with this, it's like we're watching different players.

Rangers
06-15-2014, 07:20 PM
I just completely disagree with this, it's like we're watching different players.

He must have meant before he came here and improved. Became total opposite of what he was. :)

Dunny
06-15-2014, 09:17 PM
Watch both rt LA goals from Friday night then come back and apologize.

If you guys are telling me that you think Anton Stralman is a big presence in front of the net then I'll take an ounce of whatever it is you have.

I mean he must be a perrenial Norris candidate. He's fast as shit, deals with forecheck better than anyone , always makes good first pass, steps up at blueline and destroys people, nobody fucks with Anton Stralman if they know what's good for them.

I kidd of course, but come on.

NYRanger11
06-15-2014, 09:33 PM
Chances Richards is bought out tomorrow? Don't see any reason to wait.

Pete
06-15-2014, 09:36 PM

If you guys are telling me that you think Anton Stralman is a big presence in front of the net then I'll take an ounce of whatever it is you have.

I mean he must be a perrenial Norris candidate. He's fast as shit, deals with forecheck better than anyone , always makes good first pass, steps up at blueline and destroys people, nobody fucks with Anton Stralman if they know what's good for them.

First off, we can do without your first paragraph. Your opinion isn't fact.

Second off. If he was as bad as you think, he wouldn't be looking at a fat contract. Frankly, I'd love to hear your thoughts on Jake Gardiner. They share a ton of the same characteristics.

Cash or Czech?
06-15-2014, 09:45 PM

Would be salivating having Tarasenko on the other wing of Nash or St. Louis...:drool: So frustrating, but lets see what happens because his injuries have certainly affected his development curve. I think next year could be boom or bust for him, yet I also believe that taking the slow and steady approach is good. While he's not developing as quickly as Stepan, Hagelin or McDonagh did, nobody expected him to and he's only 22. The fundamentals and improvement are there, it just takes time. Take a page out of the Detroit playbook.

Rangers
06-15-2014, 09:59 PM

Change the tone of your voice! No one ever said Stralman has cleared the crease, infact this team has no one to do that since 94!
What we did say, he is more physical at the blue line! Which we don't have any one besides him.

Dunny
06-15-2014, 10:01 PM
First off, we can do without your first paragraph. Your opinion isn't fact.

Second off. If he was as bad as you think, he wouldn't be looking at a fat contract. Frankly, I'd love to hear your thoughts on Jake Gardiner. They share a ton of the same characteristics.

It's a joke, chill Winston.

Gardiner could skate laps around Stralman, is about half a decade younger and has much much more offensive potential going forward. That being said I'd rather have Stralman for the next season because he's a pro that's flgured out how to be an effective player. ie: don't even think about offence.

I said it before, I like Stralman, but as Josh pointed out he's our most fungible piece. Who the fuck wants Anton Stralman at 3.5-4 million? Not us, that's for sure. Go find another Anton Stralman.

Pete
06-15-2014, 10:06 PM

Gardiner could skate laps around Stralman, is about half a decade younger and has much much more offensive potential going forward. That being said I'd rather have Stralman for the next season because he's a pro that's flgured out how to be an effective player. ie: don't even think about offence.

I said it before, I like Stralman, but as Josh pointed out he's our most fungible piece. Who the fuck wants Anton Stralman at 3.5-4 million? Not us, that's for sure. Go find another Anton Stralman.

So who's taking those minutes?

I didn't say Stralman and Gardiner were comparable. I said they share a lot of characteristics. As in, the same issues you see in Stralman appear in Gardiner. But you'd call Gardiner a stud...Thinking it has more to do with where he was born than anything.

Dunny
06-15-2014, 10:28 PM
So who's taking those minutes?

I didn't say Stralman and Gardiner were comparable. I said they share a lot of characteristics. As in, the same issues you see in Stralman appear in Gardiner. But you'd call Gardiner a stud...Thinking it has more to do with where he was born than anything.

Well Gardiner is American so, you can't really claim Canadian bias. Brassard, Richards and Pouliot are Canadian and I'm all for upgrades over them.

Honestly, I haven't thought of anyone, but I'm sure we can come up with some candidates. Even if they do re-sign him I'm not going to cry about it. He's a good pro.

Pete
06-15-2014, 10:33 PM
Well Gardiner is American so, you can't really claim Canadian bias. Brassard, Richards and Pouliot are Canadian and I'm all for upgrades over them.

Honestly, I haven't thought of anyone, but I'm sure we can come up with some candidates. Even if they do re-sign him I'm not going to cry about it. He's a good pro.

I meant where Stralman was born. Soft Euro, lazy Russian...etc.

Dunny
06-15-2014, 10:41 PM
I said he was a good pro. My concern isn't his nationality, it's his ability to clear a crease that bothers me.

momentum
06-16-2014, 06:42 AM

See this is the exact thing, finding another one who fits in our system and plays as well for only 3.5-4 mil won't be as easy as it seems, or if you find that player, there will be no upgrade...just a step to the side for an unknown player of the possible same potential so then what is the point?
Stralman is good bang for the bucks at 3.5-4 mil so why don't we just try to resign him instead of wasting time and resources looking for the same player at the same price who we don't know?

Pete
06-16-2014, 06:51 AM
See this is the exact thing, finding another one who fits in our system and plays as well for only 3.5-4 mil won't be as easy as it seems, or if you find that player, there will be no upgrade...just a step to the side for an unknown player of the possible same potential so then what is the point?
Stralman is good bang for the bucks at 3.5-4 mil so why don't we just try to resign him instead of wasting time and resources looking for the same player at the same price who we don't know?

Bingo. Finding another D off the scrap pile like we did Stralman requires we develop him like we did Stralman.

momentum
06-16-2014, 06:54 AM
I said he was a good pro. My concern isn't his nationality, it's his ability to clear a crease that bothers me.

Then you should want to replace our entire D, because no one clears the crease with any consistent effort and conviction on our team, it's just not the kind of D we have. Stralman does the job in the crease as much as anyone else.

Is he a crease clearing crosschecking monster, no, but he's not that player, he's a good skater and mobile defenseman with good defensive instincts who will give a good first pass out of the zone and who is good along the boards in your own zone/behind the net and will lay a good hit once in a while, he understands the system and performs well in it, someone who also can join the rush offensive at times if need be with a decent shot, he does all this for a relatively low price.
For example if you sit down and look at a tape and look at what Staal brings at this point and compare it what Stralman brings they are VERY similar things...Staal is bigger but doesn't play much bigger, Stralman in fact is the bigger hitter of the two. Staal is no big crease clearer and if anything loses his man more often than Stralman in the defensive zone, he doesn't really bring any more offense, defensively Stralman has improved to the point where he's as good as Staal most of the time. So which one is expendable? Staal or Stralman....Staal for certain has more name recognition and will get more in a trade than Stralman, if resigned he will eat more cap than Stralman but not give us much more.
I'd say that Stralman is the better bang for the buck and Staal (although I like Staal and maybe he's a little better than Stralman overall) is the one D we should target for possible trade because he will bring the most back while not giving us so much more than stralman does.

Phil in Absentia
06-16-2014, 09:20 AM
RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

D John Moore: Likely in the $1.5 million per range on a two-year bridge deal for the defenseman who lacks salary arbitration rights.

D Justin Falk: Owed a $1.024 million qualifier in order for the Rangers to retain his rights.

LW Chris Kreider: Likely in the neighborhood of $2.25-$2.5 million per on a two-year bridge deal for the winger who’s absent arbitration rights, but general manager Glen Sather may attempt to grind him.

C Derick Brassard: Has arbitration rights one year shy of potential unrestricted free agency.
Coming off a contract under which he earned $3.2 million per. Likely to command in the $4.5 million per range on a multi-year deal. Possible trade chip in package for another center if negotiations don’t go well.

RW Mats Zuccarello: Also one year shy of potential free agency with arbitration rights. Coming off a season in which he may have been the biggest bargain in the NHL, leading the team with 59 points (19 goals, 40 assists) while earning $1.15 million. Likely to command in the $4-4.5 million range on a multi-year deal.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

D Anton Stralman: Question is whether the Rangers will have the space to accommodate the $4-4.5 million per on a multi-year deal the right defenseman would attract on the open market following his cash-register playoffs.

D Raphael Diaz: Righty could return for a deal in the $1 million neighborhood if Stralman departs.

LW Benoit Pouliot: Two years in the $2-2.4 million per range for the erratic winger who responded to coach Alain Vigneault’s early tough love and was an effective complement on the line with Brassard and Zuccarello, but who did take 10 offensive-zone penalties in the playoffs.

C Brian Boyle: Will have numerous teams pounding on his door. Questions are whether, a) the Blueshirts have the space to commit $3-3.3 million per for a fourth-liner that Boyle is likely to command as a UFA; and, b) whether Boyle will look to sign with a club that would offer the opportunity for a larger role.

C Dominic Moore: Fourth-line engine should receive in the neighborhood of $1.5-$1.75 million per on a two-year deal.

RW Dan Carcillo: Unlikely to return unless the Rangers deal Dorsett.

http://nypost.com/2014/06/15/breaking-down-the-rangers-offseason-options/

--

Just highlighting the names I thought mattered most.

Might shock some to see these values, but Brooks is showing here exactly why the Rangers are in a bit of a predicament here regarding contracts.

Morphinity
06-16-2014, 09:24 AM
No effin' way I give Boyle $3-3.3M per. The highest I'll go is $2.5 on him. Putting that much money in a 4th liner is just horrible cap management.

And Stralman at $4-4.5M is not good either. I would not be happy with giving him that.

I'd like to see Brassard get less than $4.5M, but that number seems to make sense.

Everything else seems in line, but it might bite us in the ass if we put Kreider on a two-year bridge. Take a gamble, and sign him to a 4x5 or a 5x5, similar to McDonagh's awesome contract.

TwoMinutesForNothing
06-16-2014, 09:28 AM
We can't lose Boyle. Without Boyle we never even get to the finals this year. He is too hard to replace.

Phil in Absentia
06-16-2014, 09:31 AM
No effin' way I give Boyle $3-3.3M per. The highest I'll go is $2.5 on him. Putting that much money in a 4th liner is just horrible cap management.

And Stralman at $4-4.5M is not good either. I would not be happy with giving him that.

I'd like to see Brassard get less than $4.5M, but that number seems to make sense.

Everything else seems in line, but it might bite us in the ass if we put Kreider on a two-year bridge. Take a gamble, and sign him to a 4x5 or a 5x5, similar to McDonagh's awesome contract.

It's basically the same contract Jarrett Stoll signed with the Kings a couple years ago. Knew he'd get it, too. Especially with how he played in the playoffs. The same was true for Stoll. I've been saying with Boyle, the only way he stays here is if he cuts off the top knowing he could get more elsewhere to remain with the team he loves who can't afford to spend erroneously on role players.

I don't give Strålman that deal either, but I already pointed out the Hjalmarsson contract ($4.1M x 5), so he'll get it too. Detroit would love to pay that out to him to get him on their squad. There are probably a dozen teams, in fact, who might, who are all desperate for help on the blue line.

The issue with Kreider is that you don't really know what he is right now. $4M x 5 or $5M x 5 might look like a steal if he develops into a solid thirty-goal scorer like Pacioretty, but he could just as soon stay right where you see him. I'm fine with a bridge. I'd rather pay for what I know I have than pay for what I don't in hoping I'm right.

Morphinity
06-16-2014, 09:33 AM
We can't lose Boyle. Without Boyle we never even get to the finals this year. He is too hard to replace.

$3-3.5M is way too much to pay a 4th line player. I'm sorry, I love Boyle and what he brings to the table, but that's insane.

I really wanted to avoid a Brandon Prust situation where we didn't bite the bullet and let an important player go, but there's a threshold, IMO.

Phil in Absentia
06-16-2014, 09:33 AM

And you also can't pay him $3.3M a year either. Not for his role. It's the same situation as Prust, and even to this day in knowing how it turned out and how badly the team missed him for more than a calendar year, I still don't give him the contract he wanted in UFA. You simply cannot pay role players like this when your top end players (Richards, Nash especially) aren't making right on their contracts.

The team is too close to the cap to afford this kind of contract IMO without moving more bodies, so how much do you want to rob Peter to pay Paul?

momentum
06-16-2014, 09:37 AM
$3-3.5M is way too much to pay a 4th line player. I'm sorry, I love Boyle and what he brings to the table, but that's insane.

I really wanted to avoid a Brandon Prust situation where we didn't bite the bullet and let an important player go, but there's a threshold, IMO.

There is a threshold for sure...question is how much is it? I think 3 mil for boyle is ok...3.5....it's starting to be too much....I love Boyle and would hate to lose him...but part of me is also like...fuck it lets give some youngsters chances Fast, Miller, Lindberg etc. could all play on our team at the lower lines....young hungry players with tons of energy for low cost.

Pete
06-16-2014, 09:40 AM
I don't think we should subscribe to these numbers just because Larry says so.

Patrick Bateman
06-16-2014, 09:42 AM
If he can return to 2011-12 form then I would gladly give Boyle a 3m contract. I don't think much of Boyle myself because of how often he completely blows quality scoring chances, but I think it would be a classic case of not knowing what we have till he's gone.

Morphinity
06-16-2014, 09:43 AM
There is a threshold for sure...question is how much is it? I think 3 mil for boyle is ok...3.5....it's starting to be too much....I love Boyle and would hate to lose him...but part of me is also like...fuck it lets give some youngsters chances Fast, Miller, Lindberg etc. could all play on our team at the lower lines....young hungry players for low cost.

It's a huge, huge risk. Boyle contributes next to nothing offensively, especially in the role that AV has given him. His 20 goal year was an anomaly. Defensively, he's solid and he's great on the PK. But, it's a lot of money to give to a guy that contributes nothing in the goal column and plays 12 minutes a night.

On the other hand, we need more guys who step up in the playoffs. He's on of the few we have, and I'd hate to lose him

I'm torn.

Morphinity
06-16-2014, 09:44 AM
I don't think we should subscribe to these numbers just because Larry says so.

He's speculating as much as we are, but they're not completely made up. He's using educated guesses and I'd expect most of those to be within the range he wrote.

It's what we have to work with right now. Do you have other numbers in mind?

Pete
06-16-2014, 09:51 AM
He's speculating as much as we are, but they're not completely made up. He's using educated guesses and I'd expect most of those to be within the range he wrote.

It's what we have to work with right now. Do you have other numbers in mind?Well that' my point. That's not all we have to work with, just because Larry put it in the paper.

Boyle made $1.7 this year. You expect someone to double his salary? Because I don't.

Morphinity
06-16-2014, 09:53 AM
Well that' my point. That's not all we have to work with, just because Larry put it in the paper.

Boyle made $1.7 this year. You expect someone to double his salary? Because I don't.

Sure I do. Prust made $800k and got $2.5M per for 4 years from MTL.

If Boyle wants to use that as a comparable, we're fucked.

Pete
06-16-2014, 10:03 AM
Sure I do. Prust made $800k and got $2.5M per for 4 years from MTL.

If Boyle wants to use that as a comparable, we're fucked.

Not really sure how you can compare Prust and Boyle. Prust was a .08 P/G player before becoming a Ranger. As a Ranger, he went up to around .30 P/G. Boyle got $1.7 after a 20 goal year, and has regressed. I'm pretty sure he's looking at what Prust got as his absolute cap, $2.5.

Plus, Boyle has repeatedly said he wants to be here. He might be one player who's smart enough to realize that he has it pretty good here. Someone's going to give him $3.3? He'll be waived shortly thereafter, I'm fairly sure.