PDA

View Full Version : Shrooms: The Medical Benefit

josh
06-15-2011, 10:22 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110615/ts_yblog_thelookout/far-out-magic-mushrooms-could-have-medical-benefits-researchers-say

The hallucinogen in magic mushrooms may no longer just be for hippies seeking a trippy high.

Researchers at John Hopkins University School of Medicine have been studying the effects of psilocybin, a chemical found in some psychedelic mushrooms, that's credited with inducing transcendental states. Now, they say, they've zeroed in on the perfect dosage level to produce transformative mystical and spiritual experiences that offer long-lasting life-changing benefits, while carrying little risk of negative reactions.

The breakthrough could speed the day when doctors use psilocybin--long viewed skeptically for its association with 1960s countercultural thrill-seekers--for a range of valuable clinical functions, like easing the anxiety of terminally ill patients, treating depression and post-traumatic stress disorder, and helping smokers quit. Already, studies in which depressed cancer patients were given the drug have reported positive results. "I'm not afraid to die anymore" one participant told The Lookout.

Ba Ba Bluey
06-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Now I have a reason!!

Phil in Absentia
06-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Almost placebo-like in that it creates a false reality, but it's long been known that a high morale can actually "cure" some diseases that'd otherwise kill weaker humans who "give up".

I'm all for exploring options like this if it even eases the discomfort of patients suffering from terminal illnesses.

josh
06-15-2011, 10:42 AM
Almost placebo-like in that it creates a false reality, but it's long been known that a high morale can actually "cure" some diseases that'd otherwise kill weaker humans who "give up".

I'm all for exploring options like this if it even eases the discomfort of patients suffering from terminal illnesses.
Anything that helps.

Unfortunately, its so hard to put something new into practice. Rarely to insurance companies cover 'experimental' treatments or procedures due to liability.

I am Scags
06-15-2011, 10:46 AM
Ahh shrooms!

I once had a pirate ship in my backyard (was the shed), axe wielding trolls chasing after my friends and I, my friends face that that was becoming the moon!

Phil in Absentia
06-15-2011, 10:50 AM
Anything that helps.

Unfortunately, its so hard to put something new into practice. Rarely to insurance companies cover 'experimental' treatments or procedures due to liability.

Which is a real shame, because this kind of thing could really help people.

So Nashty
06-15-2011, 11:00 AM
im all for more shrooms

Phil in Absentia
06-15-2011, 11:06 AM
I love 'em on my steak.

So Nashty
06-15-2011, 11:07 AM
actually i only really like mushrooms on pizza but i am not grossed out by them at all. Mushroom soup is also pretty good.

NEOXL112
06-15-2011, 11:12 AM
never done them. Is it something i need to do ?

So Nashty
06-15-2011, 11:22 AM

its like acid only for people who want it in a happy meal format

Jules
06-15-2011, 11:26 AM

I've never tried it myself, but I've heard so many bad experiences I'm never even going to consider it.

josh
06-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Not a fan of any mushroom. All make me sick.

BlairBettsBlocksEverything
06-15-2011, 11:38 AM
usually just made my ceiling look like the ocean

NEOXL112
06-15-2011, 11:39 AM
interesting.. i'd like to take a trip on a rainbow.. least once. .just to see if it's for me hahah

06-15-2011, 11:40 AM
I've never tried it myself, but I've heard so many bad experiences I'm never even going to consider it.

tried it 3 times, the first time I kind of had a bad trip but it was still fun. Second time was just amazing and the third time was oging well untill one of my friends actually just passed out and fainted, and my other friends decided to leave so me and my girldfriend had to take care of him ourselves

josh
06-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Did them once, bad experience, got sick and ended up throwing up for 2 hours.

I told my friend "NO ONE comes over if we do these." Took them, 20 minutes later, I had 10+ people come to the apt. Most were the pushy people, kept bugging me out. Went to my room, watched a lakers game (pretty trippy), talked with a few people then got sick.

Wont do again, but not against others trying. I recommend a controlled environment for the first time.

josh
06-15-2011, 11:47 AM
This proposed treatment seems to take out some of the side effects, whether thats from producing less potent pores or eliminating other natural occurences in the poison itself, but it seems like it would be a much better option for recreational use, as well.

BleedzNYRBlue
06-15-2011, 11:56 AM
its like acid only for people who want it in a happy meal format

:lol:

NYRangers92
06-15-2011, 12:02 PM
i thought these make you bug out if you are around other people that arent on shrooms?

Funniest shrooms story I heard is what a friend told me at college. He said his friend was sitting on the edge of the bed and screaming and swaying back and forth for around an hour or so, like he was gonna die. Once the effects wore off they found out he believed he was a glass of orange juice and was worried that he was about to be tipped over

So Nashty
06-15-2011, 12:05 PM
i thought these make you bug out if you are around other people that arent on shrooms?

Funniest shrooms story I heard is what a friend told me at college. He said his friend was sitting on the edge of the bed and screaming and swaying back and forth for around an hour or so, like he was gonna die. Once the effects wore off they found out he believed he was a glass of orange juice and was worried that he was about to be tipped over

ROFLLL

06-15-2011, 12:58 PM
I never really experienced a visual trip, like thinking I was an inatimate object or something. I just got weird feelings in my body and mind and had really deep thoughts, some important, some not.

Jules
06-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Best story I've heard was a friend of a friend who was poiting the remote control at a painting on the wall and honestly believed he was watching a soccer game and than flipped channels to watch MTV, singing along with songs no one else was hearing.

Ba Ba Bluey
06-15-2011, 01:19 PM
Did them once, bad experience, got sick and ended up throwing up for 2 hours.

I told my friend "NO ONE comes over if we do these." Took them, 20 minutes later, I had 10+ people come to the apt. Most were the pushy people, kept bugging me out. Went to my room, watched a lakers game (pretty trippy), talked with a few people then got sick.

Wont do again, but not against others trying. I recommend a controlled environment for the first time.

This.

I would also suggest not being around others that arent tripping with you. I did that once and that paranoia was overwhelming..

So Nashty
06-16-2011, 11:10 PM
Best story I've heard was a friend of a friend who was poiting the remote control at a painting on the wall and honestly believed he was watching a soccer game and than flipped channels to watch MTV, singing along with songs no one else was hearing.

hahahaha ide pay to see something like that

G1000
06-16-2011, 11:14 PM
I lived with 5 other guys in an apartment my freshman year.

One day, I head over to the dining hall, I get food with my roommate, we chill, talk some football, whatever.

Hour later, I come back, and there's a pile of shrooms on the counter - turns out the other people in my apartment made shroom tea and drank it all. Anyway, one of them was really short and was having a bad trip, so for some ungodly reason, he went in the closet.

Literally 45 minutes later, one of the other guys opens the closet, finds the short guy and SCREAMS because he thought an evil leprechaun was trying to stab him with a rainbow.

I truly, truly loved being the observer and not the user in that apartment. Good times....won a LOT of money in poker.

So Nashty
06-16-2011, 11:15 PM
I lived with 5 other guys in an apartment my freshman year.

One day, I head over to the dining hall, I get food with my roommate, we chill, talk some football, whatever.

Hour later, I come back, and there's a pile of shrooms on the counter - turns out the other people in my apartment made shroom tea and drank it all. Anyway, one of them was really short and was having a bad trip, so for some ungodly reason, he went in the closet.

Literally 45 minutes later, one of the other guys opens the closet, finds the short guy and SCREAMS because he thought an evil leprechaun was trying to stab him with a rainbow.

I truly, truly loved being the observer and not the user in that apartment. Good times....won a LOT of money in poker.

:rofl:

i need more friends who do drugs

josh
06-17-2011, 08:54 AM

i need more friends who do drugs

Actually, its better to have friends that just do drugs once in awhile. Constant stoners/trippers are used to it and dont go crazy. But get a normally-sober person stoned - hilarity ensues.

I grew up in a small town, nothing to do but drugs, party.
Went to college and the kids I hung out with did nothing. It was so entertaining to get these kids messed up.

BleedzNYRBlue
06-18-2011, 11:55 AM
...he thought an evil leprechaun was trying to stab him with a rainbow.

Mentosman42
06-18-2011, 07:11 PM
when my roomate tried salvia he sat on the couch screaming at us in giberish and holding his knees then held himself up between his bed and his desk for ~ the last 10 mins.

after the trip he said that at first he lost his shins(like his feet were connected to his knees) and was freaking out screaming at us to help him find them. then he said that the floor had dissapeared and it was just a bottomless ravine and he had to hold himself up.

after seeing that i passed haha.

another friend tried it and he was stuck on the couch for ~5 mins before he started wiggling his fingers and then his hands, then his arms. then he started to "dig out" the air around himself then stood up. this entire process took like 15 mins. after he said that he was trapped by tiny clear cubes that had burried him and he had to wiggle his hands free and dig himself out. by far one of the funniest things ive EVER seen.

they also both smoked a huge bowl of it when they were supposed to do like the smallest amount because it was either 30 or 40x extract.