PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Benoit Pouliot?

phillyb™
05-26-2014, 12:36 PM
the guy has been a complete liability with the stupid penalties he's taken. i remember that article about how he finally found a home in new york, but i'm starting to wonder what we do with him in the off season. he's a UFA after this season.
keep him or drop him?

ThirtyONE
05-26-2014, 12:38 PM
the guy has been a complete liability with the stupid penalties he's taken. i remember that article about how he finally found a home in new york, but i'm starting to wonder what we do with him in the off season. he's a UFA after this season.
keep him or drop him?

I haven't bought into him as much as a lot of people have. He's probably the most replaceable person on the team at the moment.

LyNX
05-26-2014, 01:33 PM
The guy gets paid 1.3 mill, he had a rough and dumb game. TBH looks like he is still trying to find himself as a player, not within our system but to himself. Ya he's replaceable, 36 points in 80 games is not horrid and he provides decent depth. We are stuck with him till the end of the season and it isn't over yet. I'm more worried about what our 7.8 million a year is getting us in Rick Nash (Who has been doing OK these play-offs)...

Strange situation, especially with the game he just played and his "status" as a 4th overall pick. Looking at his previous seasons stats, his PIM also seem to be a fairly inconsistent stat of his. Really depends on how much of a raise he wants in the offseason or if we think we can replace him with an entry level contract. How many other players can put up 40 points over a season for about 1 mill?

!br-avery!
05-26-2014, 01:39 PM
He's had some bad penalties but I still want him back
He's not a baf bargain at all

dome
05-26-2014, 02:21 PM
All depends on price. He's down the list when it comes to 'priority'.. He really is just too dumb for my liking... He can cost us a game, he can cost us a series with his stupidity.

A 3rd line LW is not worth what he's going to ask for when you have players like Miller, Fast, Lindberg, Kristo and probably Duclair.

Puck Head
05-26-2014, 02:34 PM
Right now though he's our 2nd line winger I think.

IMO Brassard, Zucc, and Pouliot are our second line, and have been all season.

JOHN
05-26-2014, 02:38 PM
Let's also not forget he had a huge outlet pass to spring Brass. You have to take the good with the bad when it comes to Pouliot.

Puck Head
05-26-2014, 02:40 PM
And this roster will desperately need grit that can play on top lines. Outside of Kreider we are he softest team in the NHL in that regards.

That being said, he needs to settle that stick down. It's a bad habit that can be adjusted

cousin
05-26-2014, 03:07 PM
Dumb as a stump, but AV sticks with him. We are here and he is too. Let it play out.

If we lost he would have taken a beating.

Pete
05-26-2014, 04:00 PM
I haven't bought into him as much as a lot of people have. He's probably the most replaceable person on the team at the moment.

His production vs his salary disagree.

Puck Head
05-26-2014, 05:07 PM
His production vs his salary disagree.

This.
He's going to get a raise, but if it's no TOO much, we'd have to try and retain him.
We simply don't have a lot of depth or prospects ready to take that spot.

Pete
05-26-2014, 05:21 PM
This.
He's going to get a raise, but if it's no TOO much, we'd have to try and retain him.
We simply don't have a lot of depth or prospects ready to take that spot.

Almost 40 points for $1.3? Callahan wanted $6 for 50....

Travis Bickle
05-26-2014, 05:29 PM
Pouliot doesn't have the same intangibles. ;)

dome
05-26-2014, 05:36 PM
I wouldn't sign him for anything over 2M$.. even then I'd rather see a kid get a chance there.

JOHN
05-26-2014, 05:40 PM
I wouldn't sign him for anything over 2M$.. even then I'd rather see a kid get a chance there.

He's like in the locker room, he adds physicality, he can put up decent points and he can be clutch. The penalties thing if anything work in our favor, they help bump down his salary plus he will probably take a bit of a discount to play in a place where he finally feels comfortable.

Plus, he's 27. It's not like you're re-signing an aging vet. He's where you want him to be.

Puck Head
05-26-2014, 06:58 PM

What are your estimates for...

Pouliot
Brassard
Zuuc
Kredier
Moore (John)
Moore (Dom)
Boyle

NYR2711
05-26-2014, 08:20 PM
I wouldn't mind him back next year. Yes he takes some dumb penalties, but he also has speed and size and does throw the body a lot, something this team lacks. As a third liner, I have no issues with him, plus he has some good chemistry with Zucc. If he is willing to stay on a reasonable deal, I keep him.

RangersRule2
05-26-2014, 11:44 PM
Let's also not forget he had a huge outlet pass to spring Brass. You have to take the good with the bad when it comes to Pouliot.

Over 82 games, he's a plus. The problem is in a short series or a do-or-die game, he can kill you.

dome
05-27-2014, 01:04 AM
What are your estimates for...

Pouliot 2.5-3
Brassard 4
Zuuc 3.5
Kredier 3
Moore (John) 2ish
Moore (Dom) 2ish
Boyle 2ish

guesstimates

momentum
05-27-2014, 07:07 AM
I like him for his physicality and the fact that he actually has some skill and can put up points, he needs to settle down a little bit and become more consistent and he'd be a very good player IMO. I'd try to keep him because he hits and we have few hitters.

BlairBettsBlocksEverything
05-27-2014, 07:24 AM
I think he has chemistry with zuc and brassard. At his salary level I keep him. Maybe a small raise. 1.5-2 is fine with me. Not every player is going to be perfect. Take the good with the bad. Kreider takes undisciplined dumb penalties too.

Valriera
05-27-2014, 07:27 AM
I don't think you can get rid of Pouliot if his price is below $2M. The guy has had a really solid year for us and the PBZ line has been our best line all season. They're an important part of our team because they give us three scoring lines. Pouliot is also a rarity in the game in that he's big, has a good amount of skill, and he plays with a lot of grit, which I personally was hugely surprised by. He really stepped up his physical game on this team, which is something we really need. Usually teams have to sacrifice skill for that sort of grit, but with Pouliot you get both.

I don't like his penalties any more than the next guy, and last game was bad, but he's still growing as a player, he's had his best year in the NHL here, and I think his upside is far too big to get rid of him if he'll sign $2M and under. I'd like to see 2 years 2M or 3 years 1.85M.

Nash and Richards are the biggest questions. I'm not so sure how replaceable either one of these guys are, although I think Zuccarello could fit Richards' role on the PP, and we all know that Richards 5 on 5 play is sub par. That said, if we win the cup and he gets the C, well then there goes that.

nyr11messier
05-27-2014, 09:25 AM
Like others have said, it all depends on the price. The chemistry between him Zucc and Brass is obvious but he does take some really frustrating penalties.

leetchy2
05-27-2014, 10:44 AM
I think Pouliot's success on LW is mostly the result of the skills of Brass & Zucc. Bennie takes too many dumb penalties for my liking. However he's still young so he only stays if the price is right.

Valriera
05-27-2014, 10:45 AM
I think Pouliot's success on LW is mostly the result of the skills of Brass & Zucc. Bennie takes too many dumb penalties for my liking. However he's still young so he only stays if the price is right.

I was thinking about this too and it may be true, like when Brassard was injured and Moore came in, I think the line was still good but it wasn't the same. I still think that if Pouliot was injured the line wouldn't be the same either, but it's hard to guess without trying it.

CreaseCrusader91
06-21-2014, 10:02 AM
:tweet:@CraigCustance: Sounds like there's going to be a sincere effort to get a deal done between Rangers & Benoit Pouliot before July 1. He was a nice fit there.

Morphinity
06-21-2014, 10:04 AM
Except for the insane amount of penalties he took in the playoffs. :palm:

Otherwise, he's fine as long as the cost is down. I'm thinking in the $2-2.5 million range for 2 or maybe 3 years.

AmericanJesus
06-21-2014, 10:33 AM
Funny thing is that his production didn't really increase for us over what he has done in the previous few seasons. I didn't see him enough before he came here to compare his over all game. He did fill a role at a very good price. Just hope he still fills that role at a good price.

jsm7302
06-21-2014, 10:46 AM
2.5/3 years. Get it done. Keeping him Brass and Zucc together for this season will be a key to success.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Vodka Drunkenski
06-21-2014, 10:49 AM
His stupid penalties should level out his $ demand

Cash or Czech?
06-21-2014, 11:18 AM
Funny thing is that his production didn't really increase for us over what he has done in the previous few seasons. I didn't see him enough before he came here to compare his over all game. He did fill a role at a very good price. Just hope he still fills that role at a good price.

I mean, he did set career highs in assists and points with us. Being that he scored 36 points, it should tell you he's a complimentary player that could be upgraded on. I like Pouliot but his penalties killed a lot of momentum during the playoffs and could have been even worse. If it's a reasonable contract I'd take him back instantly. If he wants a significant pay raise, I rather take a look at the market for a more consistent offensive weapon.

DiJock94
06-21-2014, 11:42 AM

He also had pretty much no points through the first half of the season

So Nashty
06-21-2014, 11:47 AM
As long as the contract is fair I don't see a reason why they shouldn't bring him back. 1/3rd of our best line last season.

Valriera
06-21-2014, 02:40 PM
As long as the contract is fair I don't see a reason why they shouldn't bring him back. 1/3rd of our best line last season.

Absolutely. Pouliot may have been noticeable for bad penalties at times, but he was just as noticeable for good play, and he was 1/3 of our best line which relied on good chemistry. Have to bring him back at 2.5M and below.

NYR2711
06-21-2014, 03:59 PM
We all rip on his penalties, but how many of them war BS calls though. The two goaltender interferences were garbage calls, and I believe there were a couple more that could have gone either way.

So Nashty
06-21-2014, 05:18 PM
And I'll take a goalie interference call any day. Means we have bodies going to the net and I feel like it always messes with the goalie.

Phil in Absentia
06-21-2014, 06:18 PM
And I'll take a goalie interference call any day. Means we have bodies going to the net and I feel like it always messes with the goalie.

So will I. Same with roughing, charging and even elbowing from time-to-time. They're all aggressive penalties that tend to show the player is in full gear. The ones I can't stand are stick infractions, which are lazy — hooking, tripping, slashing, etc.

momentum
06-21-2014, 06:53 PM
2.5 mil per, 3 years or so....he's easily worth it for his game breaking ability and physical presence IMO. Would really like to keep this player.

Valriera
06-22-2014, 08:22 AM
2.5 mil per, 3 years or so....he's easily worth it for his game breaking ability and physical presence IMO. Would really like to keep this player.

Who would have thought at the beginning of the year we'd all be talking about Benoit Pouliot's physical presence?

fletch
06-22-2014, 04:17 PM
I'm having a hard time picturing what this team will look like next year, with Richards gone, Boyle probably gone, and a lot of decisions to be made on RFAs. Pouilot isn't the first player I'd worry about signing, but I'd be happy to see him back.

rmc51
06-22-2014, 05:48 PM
I think the Rangers need to make one or two sacrifices to cut salary and take a chance on a guy like Stastny. Pouliot imo is one of those sacrifices. Cant afford to give him 2.5-3 mill. Plus he never learned how not to take lazy offensive zone penalties. He lost us momentum more than he created it.

Pete
06-22-2014, 06:09 PM
He actually takes more aggressive penalties than lazy ones.

Phil in Absentia
06-22-2014, 06:24 PM
I think the Rangers need to make one or two sacrifices to cut salary and take a chance on a guy like Stastny. Pouliot imo is one of those sacrifices. Cant afford to give him 2.5-3 mill. Plus he never learned how not to take lazy offensive zone penalties. He lost us momentum more than he created it.

Why? He's not going to get any better, and if you talk to a lot of hockey heads, especially the Avs' beat writers, most feel he's got a great thing going in COL where he doesn't have to be the man.

He screams Chris Drury all over again. OK player, not great, who is going to be paid heavily (probably $7.5M) out of UFA on a long-term deal (seven years). All for a player who isn't really a number one center anyway. Even on the Avs.

Puck Head
06-22-2014, 07:10 PM
We take Stastny, plan on just removing 2/3 of Zucc, Brassard, and Pouliot, PLUS losing 1-2 million of cap space.

rmc51
06-22-2014, 08:31 PM
I dont want to derail the thread here, but we will need to find a way to replace Richards' production. We will need to be creative to find cap space to do that. I would think Pouliot is lower on the list of guys we need to prioritize.

Pete
06-22-2014, 08:34 PM
there's something to be said about keeping together the one line that had chemistry from the minute they were put together.

Phil in Absentia
06-22-2014, 08:37 PM
I dont want to derail the thread here, but we will need to find a way to replace Richards' production. We will need to be creative to find cap space to do that. I would think Pouliot is lower on the list of guys we need to prioritize.

Even if that's the case, the problem is that if you bring in Stastny, you're essentially replacing Richards at the same price (actually, more), and are going to be left with little to no money to even re-sign the teams' RFA's, let alone any UFA players.

The money just doesn't support the idea of adding another player at that kind of price tag. Not with Brassard, Zuccarello, Kreider and John Moore all due contracts and raises — some significant.

As to Pouliot, the reason you get it done with him is as simple as the fact that he's one third of the teams' most effective offensive line all season, and isn't going to break the bank (provided your offseason plan doesn't include someone like Stastny).

You can essentially replace the production lost by Richards by committee. Won't be easy, but you have to hope for increased production from both Stepan as well as Brassard (especially Brassard), Miller and Kreider. Make up the sixty points across multiple players.

RangersRule2
06-22-2014, 09:00 PM
We're paying too much $$$ to Hank.

Phil in Absentia
06-22-2014, 09:19 PM
We're paying too much $$$ to Hank.

Doesn't matter. That's water under the bridge. Complaining about it won't solve anything. He's here for the long-haul, and at a cap hit of $8.5M going forward. Gotta figure out how to make it work with him.

RangersRule2
06-22-2014, 10:19 PM
Doesn't matter. That's water under the bridge. Complaining about it won't solve anything. He's here for the long-haul, and at a cap hit of $8.5M going forward. Gotta figure out how to make it work with him.

That's my point...he takes $1 or $1.5 MM less...a few other guys take $500K - $750K less......1 other star takes $1 MM less.....that's how you get another great player on board.

That's how you then win Stanley Cups and multiple playoff rounds.

And then you make it up in endorsements !!

Phil in Absentia
06-22-2014, 10:25 PM
That's my point...he takes $1 or $1.5 MM less...a few other guys take $500K - $750K less......1 other star takes $1 MM less.....that's how you get another great player on board.

That's how you then win Stanley Cups and multiple playoff rounds.

And then you make it up in endorsements !!

I don't disagree, and I'm not happy about his extension either, but there's no changing it, so it's kind of pointless to complain about it. At least in the sense of free agency, contracts, etc. Ya gotta work with what ya got. NHL contracts are guaranteed, so he's at $8.5M. No way around it. Just gotta find other areas to cut to make it work.

Phil in Absentia
06-25-2014, 12:21 PM
:tweet: @KatieStrangESPN: One intriguing UFA to keep an eye on: Benoit Pouliot. Had a strong season in NY. Mutual interest in him re-signing with Rangers

Phil in Absentia
06-26-2014, 02:39 PM
:tweet: @renlavoietva: Around 10 teams showed interest so far to Benoit Pouliot. He's looking for a long term contract and he will get it. #tvasports #rangers

--

Another goner.

Captain Clutch
06-26-2014, 02:43 PM
What's long term? 4 year? I'd be fine with that

Lt. Dan
06-26-2014, 02:45 PM
Well, Sathers can thank himself for the team being cap strapped. Before I even get mad, I'll wait to see what trades the off season brings.

DiJock94
06-26-2014, 02:52 PM
Bye bye Poosalot

Morphinity
06-26-2014, 02:54 PM
Well, Sathers can thank himself for the team being cap strapped. Before I even get mad, I'll wait to see what trades the off season brings.

The team isn't cap-strapped anymore. He has to be smart. If Benoit Pouliot wants a longterm deal and wants more money than he's worth, then he's welcome do that, but not if it doesn't fit Sather's plan. Same with Boyle, Stralman, and all of our UFAs. I'd rather Sather stand his ground.

Lt. Dan
06-26-2014, 03:00 PM
The team isn't cap-strapped anymore. He has to be smart. If Benoit Pouliot wants a longterm deal and wants more money than he's worth, then he's welcome do that, but not if it doesn't fit Sather's plan. Same with Boyle, Stralman, and all of our UFAs. I'd rather Sather stand his ground.

Problem is I don't trust the man. Sometimes he dodges bullets, others it's a catastrophe. We'll lose players who were actually contributing and invest a ton in someone who under performs or isn't worth their price tag. They can't even go for a better top line center right now because of their current cap situation. They may not be cap strapped but it's not exactly the most flexible of situations either.

Morphinity
06-26-2014, 03:07 PM
Problem is I don't trust the man. Sometimes he dodges bullets, others it's a catastrophe. We'll lose players who were actually contributing and invest a ton in someone who under performs or isn't worth their price tag. They can't even go for a better top line center right now because of their current cap situation. They may not be cap strapped but it's not exactly the most flexible of situations either.

That's not true. They can't go for a better top line center because there aren't clear upgrades at center for the price in the UFA market. They could trade for a guy like Thornton or Spezza, but those come at a price that doesn't really matter cap-wise all that much since salary is going both ways in most cases.

As for the first part of your post, history shows you're right, but hopefully you're not. :p

Pete
06-26-2014, 03:10 PM
Folks — Pouliot's last 5 contracts have been 1 year deals. For him, "long-term" could be 4 years, and he's 27 going on 28.

4 x $3+ gets this done, IMO, and if you think you're getting 35-40 points on the market for less, then I think you're wrong.

josh
06-26-2014, 03:12 PM
Folks — Pouliot's last 5 contracts have been 1 year deals. For him, "long-term" could be 4 years, and he's 27 going on 28.

4 x $3+ gets this done, IMO, and if you think you're getting 35-40 points on the market for less, then I think you're wrong.

I think we can get 40 points within the system, at a lower cost, with more upside, and possibly more versatility (PK).

Pete
06-26-2014, 03:13 PM
That's not true. They can't go for a better top line center because there aren't clear upgrades at center for the price in the UFA market. They could trade for a guy like Thornton or Spezza, but those come at a price that doesn't really matter cap-wise all that much since salary is going both ways in most cases.

As for the first part of your post, history shows you're right, but hopefully you're not. :p

Bingo.

AmericanJesus
06-26-2014, 03:14 PM

Yeah, the only question is can we get 35-40 points from a prospect LW.

Pete
06-26-2014, 03:15 PM
I think we can get 40 points within the system, at a lower cost, with more upside, and possibly more versatility (PK).

Start throwing out suggestions, then. Because the going rate for the average UFA has been $1 million per point.

Part of me toyed with going for Iginla, moving Zuke to the left and going:

Krieder Stepan Iginla
Zucarello Brassard Nash
Hagelin Miller MSL
4th

Otherwise, I don't see the need to try and break up the only line that showed real chemistry to save half a mil.

AmericanJesus
06-26-2014, 03:17 PM
Start throwing out suggestions, then. Because the going rate for the average UFA has been $1 million per point.

Part of me toyed with going for Iginla, moving Zuke to the left and going:

Krieder Stepan Iginla
Zucarello Brassard Nash
Hagelin Miller MSL
4th

Otherwise, I don't see the need to try and break up the only line that showed real chemistry to save half a mil.

You keep saying this and I haven't corrected you. $100K per point is what you mean.

Pete
06-26-2014, 03:17 PM
Yeah, the only question is can we get 35-40 points from a prospect LW.

We don't have one.

Dude, solid top 10 picks hope to throw up 35-40 points as a rook. It's a lot to ask one of ours to do it, even someone like Kristo.

Pete
06-26-2014, 03:18 PM
You keep saying this and I haven't corrected you. It's $100K per point.

Shit, yea, but you know what I mean. 80 points - $8 million. 60 points - $6 million.

So for his 35, he's looking at $3.5.

josh
06-26-2014, 03:23 PM
You keep saying this and I haven't corrected you. $100K per point is what you mean.

NO! 10 points per $1m

AmericanJesus
06-26-2014, 03:24 PM
Shit, yea, but you know what I mean. 80 points - $8 million. 60 points - $6 million.

So for his 35, he's looking at $3.5.

Yes, I knew what you meant so I didn't correct you previously. Figured you wouldn't mind the heads up. It doesn't change your point, which is correct. Looking in our system I don't know which guys can switch sides or what centers might work as wings, but Lindberg (44 in 75 games), Kristo (43 in 65 games) Bourque (37 points in 74 games), Fast (34 in 48) and Hensick (34 in 42) all put up the right sort of numbers in the AHL last season. While you wouldn't want to pencil any one of them in individually, collectively we should be able to fill that spot with one of them if Pouliot prices himself out of staying.

At $3M, to me, he would have. I wouldn't go higher than $2.5M for him.

Edit: Didn't realize Hensick was 28 already. You can probably scratch him as a career AHLer.

Pete
06-26-2014, 03:26 PM
Yes, I knew what you meant so I didn't correct you previously. Figured you wouldn't mind the heads up. It doesn't change your point, which is correct. Looking in our system I don't know which guys can switch sides or what centers might work as wings, but Lindberg (44 in 75 games), Kristo (33 in 65 games) Bourque (37 points in 74 games), Fast (34 in 48) and Hensick (34 in 42) all put up the right sort of numbers in the AHL last season. While you wouldn't want to pencil any one of them in individually, collectively we should be able to fill that spot with one of them if Pouliot prices himself out of staying.

At $3M, to me, he would have. I wouldn't go higher than $2.5M for him.Don't mind the head's up, at all. :cheers:

The thing is, that's our def facto 2nd line last year. Those names, on the 2nd line, don't make me as happy as a line with proven chemistry.

AmericanJesus
06-26-2014, 03:30 PM
Don't mind the head's up, at all. :cheers:

The thing is, that's our def facto 2nd line last year. Those names, on the 2nd line, don't make me as happy as a line with proven chemistry.

Yeah, I get it. Pouliot offensively was the weakest link on that line though. If anything, I might spend a little extra there to upgrade that line. See if you can't find a fit and maybe boost that spot to 50 points.

If my estimates on RFA salaries are correct and we see a $71M cap, we should have enough to go with a $5-6M option either in Pouliot's spot or Stralman's. The other would have to be filled on the cheap. So if we are looking at trying out Klein in the top 4 and filling that 6 spot with Allen/McIlrath, we might be able to land an upgrade over Pouliot.

AmericanJesus
06-26-2014, 03:35 PM
Something like Moulson at $5.5M, ignore the line combos.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
Rangers with Moulson
FORWARDS
Chris Kreider ($3.000m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Derick Brassard ($4.500m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)
Matt Moulson ($5.500m) / J.T. Miller ($0.894m) / Mats Zuccarello ($4.000m)
Jesper Fast ($0.805m) / Oscar Lindberg ($0.675m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Girardi ($5.500m) / Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Kevin Klein ($2.900m)
Conor Allen ($0.925m) / John Moore ($1.500m)
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($8.500m)
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,320,000; BONUSES: $1,380,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $2,780,000

Pete
06-26-2014, 03:45 PM
Yeah, I get it. Pouliot offensively was the weakest link on that line though. If anything, I might spend a little extra there to upgrade that line. See if you can't find a fit and maybe boost that spot to 50 points.

If my estimates on RFA salaries are correct and we see a $71M cap, we should have enough to go with a $5-6M option either in Pouliot's spot or Stralman's. The other would have to be filled on the cheap. So if we are looking at trying out Klein in the top 4 and filling that 6 spot with Allen/McIlrath, we might be able to land an upgrade over Pouliot.

Rangers with Moulson
FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------

Yea, numbers-wise he might have been the weakest link, and early in the year I was ready to ship him out, but as the season went on...He's got the size and speed on that line, he retrieves all the pucks, and he goes to the net, hard. He's also really hard to play against, as he's always using his body against the other team and leaning on guys, making them give up the puck.

Moulson isn't giving you speed or size, but he's giving you more polish, but I'm not sure I take that trade off on a guy who'll likely want more years and money to turn into Dany Heatley. He also didn't look very good in BUF or MIN, so it's seems like he's missing Tavares.

I think a lot of people are mistaken thinking we're going to be able to walk away from Stralman or Pouliot so easily.

AmericanJesus
06-26-2014, 03:58 PM
Yea, numbers-wise he might have been the weakest link, and early in the year I was ready to ship him out, but as the season went on...He's got the size and speed on that line, he retrieves all the pucks, and he goes to the net, hard. He's also really hard to play against, as he's always using his body against the other team and leaning on guys, making them give up the puck.

Moulson isn't giving you speed or size, but he's giving you more polish, but I'm not sure I take that trade off on a guy who'll likely want more years and money to turn into Dany Heatley. He also didn't look very good in BUF or MIN, so it's seems like he's missing Tavares.

I think a lot of people are mistaken thinking we're going to be able to walk away from Stralman or Pouliot so easily.

Didn't realize it, but in the regular season in 2014 (41 games) he had 8g, 15a, 23p in 41 games. I knew he was better in the second half after gaining chemistry with that line, but I didn't realize how much better. Made me take a look at the rest of the line over that span:

MZA - 10g, 21a, 31p in 37 games (with the Olympic injury he played through)
Brassard - 12g, 12a, 24p in 41 games

So you had Pouliot on a 46p pace, Brass on a 48p pace and MZA on a 69p pace all over 82. You've sold me. $3M for Pouliot.

Pete
06-26-2014, 04:05 PM
Didn't realize it, but in the regular season in 2014 (41 games) he had 8g, 15a, 23p in 41 games. I knew he was better in the second half after gaining chemistry with that line, but I didn't realize how much better. Made me take a look at the rest of the line over that span:

MZA - 10g, 21a, 31p in 37 games (with the Olympic injury he played through)
Brassard - 12g, 12a, 24p in 41 games

So you had Pouliot on a 46p pace, Brass on a 48p pace and MZA on a 69p pace all over 82. You've sold me. $3M for Pouliot.:cheers:

Then it looks like we're getting rid of Stralman?

AmericanJesus
06-26-2014, 04:09 PM
:cheers:

Then it looks like we're getting rid of Stralman?

Maybe. I think I could fit him in at like $4.5M IF we moved Klein instead. Can't have both no matter what.

Dunny
06-26-2014, 04:13 PM
You just simply can not keep signing your reclamation projects to long term, market value deals in a cap world. You have to go back to the well and try again. Pouliot isn't good, not even close, just another guy, I'll even look past the retarded O-zone penalties he takes and you're still left with a guy that is pretty much a replacement level player.

Scour rosters, make some calls, call Russia. 4 years of this guy? I think I'll pass.

ThirtyONE
06-26-2014, 04:14 PM

Rangers with Moulson
FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------

Line combos aside, that team sucks.

Pete
Maybe. I think I could fit him in at like $4.5M IF we moved Klein instead. Can't have both no matter what.

Not to derail the thread too much, but very quickly — Are you as unimpressed with Klein as I am? Because I've noticed you mention moving him more than a few times. Is it just because of his salary vs. his role? Do you think he can handle Stralman's assignments?

AmericanJesus
Actually, check that. I can afford Strals at $4.5M, Pouliot at $3M and keep Klein if we wanted to at $71M. Klein has to eat more minutes or I'm trading him mid season though.

Benoit Pouliot ($3.000m) / Derick Brassard ($4.500m) / Mats Zuccarello ($4.000m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / J.T. Miller ($0.894m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)
Daniel Carcillo ($0.825m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Anton Stralman ($4.500m)
John Moore ($1.500m) / Kevin Klein ($2.900m)
Conor Allen ($0.925m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
------
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $71,145,000; BONUSES: $1,380,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): -$45,000

AmericanJesus
06-26-2014, 04:19 PM
Not to derail the thread too much, but very quickly — Are you as unimpressed with Klein as I am? Because I've noticed you mention moving him more than a few times. Is it just because of his salary vs. his role? Do you think he can handle Stralman's assignments?

I've been hot and cold with him. He's not noticeable, which is fine with a D of his type. I thought in the post season, he tried to do too much offensively and he just looked lost. That also cost us defensively. I think with a full camp he'd improve, but I don't think he'd be better than Stralman. It would be a hit on our defense/transition game. I also thought Stralman stepped up huge in the post season and I didn't see that from Klein. I saw a slight regression there.

My biggest issue would be having Klein as a 6th defenseman at his salary, especially because he creates a back log at a position we suddenly have prospect depth at. Allen and McIlrath can probably do what he does (McIlrath probably weaker positionally but is still learning and might make up for that in physicality). If McIlrath still could benefit from more seasoning, I'd love to see Allen there. I think he's got offensive upside and seemed solid defensively.

Pete
06-26-2014, 04:20 PM
I've been hot and cold with him. He's not noticeable, which is fine with a D of his type. I thought in the post season, he tried to do too much offensively and he just looked lost. That also cost us defensively. I think with a full camp he'd improve, but I don't think he'd be better than Stralman. It would be a hit on our defense/transition game. I also thought Stralman stepped up huge in the post season and I didn't see that from Klein. I saw a slight regression there.

My biggest issue would be having Klein as a 6th defenseman at his salary, especially because he creates a back log at a position we suddenly have prospect depth at. Allen and McIlrath can probably do what he does (McIlrath probably weaker positionally but is still learning and might make up for that in physicality).
OK, mostly agree. I think he was brough in as insurance in case they couldn't sign G. Wouldn't be shocked to see him moved at the draft.

ThirtyONE
06-26-2014, 06:41 PM
Looks like well have another high turnover rate. Damn... Almost starring from scratch if all these guys leave.

Puck Head
06-26-2014, 06:53 PM
Looks like well have another high turnover rate. Damn... Almost starring from scratch if all these guys leave.

Kredier
Zucc
Brassard
J. Moore
Pouliot
Boyle
Stralman
D. Moore
Richards

Always figured we'd lose 2 plus Richards.
If I had to guess, I'd say Boyle plus one other....right now looking like Stralman.

ThirtyONE
06-26-2014, 07:09 PM
Kredier
Zucc
Brassard
J. Moore
Pouliot
Boyle
Stralman
D. Moore
Richards

Always figured we'd lose 2 plus Richards.
If I had to guess, I'd say Boyle plus one other....right now looking like Stralman.

Bolded are 50% or less to come back. Obviously, Richards is already gone. You add Carcillo, Falk, and Diaz to that list and you're talking about (potentially) >1/3 of the team leaving. Now you might say some of those names don't matter but it still means lockerroom turn over. I had really hoped this team could stick together but it doesn't look like they will.

Puck Head
06-26-2014, 07:12 PM
If players such as Stralman, Boyle etc price them selves out.
Then I'm guessing the rest get signed, (money freed).

ThirtyONE
06-26-2014, 07:13 PM
If players such as Stralman, Boyle etc price them selves out.
Then I'm guessing the rest get signed, (money freed).

Hope so, although the Pouliot reports are not promising. If they keep anyone, I want Dom Moore without a doubt. Best 4th line center we've had since Dom Moore.

RangersFan
06-26-2014, 07:39 PM
Pouliot brings size and some net presence that we lack so it is tough. I like Raymond as a replacement tho if it came down to it unless we put Miller at LW which i wouldnt like because i think he should play C

Respecttheblue
06-27-2014, 09:57 AM
Two days into the league’s free-agent interview period, it is believed that Pouliot, who has worked on five consecutive one-year contracts for five different teams after his initial three-year entry-level deal, will receive multiple offers for at least $9 million over three years — if not more.
It is unclear whether the Rangers will be willing to meet that price for the erratic but ultimately productive 6-foot-4, 205-pound winger who became an integral part of the club’s run the second half of the year and through the playoffs.
“Ben was amenable to staying in New York, and in fact we tried a number of times to get something done before the end of the season, but it didn’t work out, and then we put everything on hold for the playoffs,” Kent Hughes, Pouliot’s agent, told The Post by phone on Thursday night.

http://nypost.com/2014/06/27/rangers-will-have-to-pay-up-to-keep-pouliot/

Personally, I like his skill level for this role, his shot, his durability, his stamina, his willingness to throw the body (more than I expected) which he uses to some advantage on an otherwise small line with Zuccarello.

Been a good fit, after a revolving door of underachievers like Christensen and Wolski. Finally a FA that works as desired with some physical edge and the requisite passing vision and skill, plus a little speed. OK, so he's not a lights out superstar or anything, but he's been a welcome addition IMO [... the tentative start here being ancient history].

looks like the price might be 3 yrs x 3 or some other shorter combo. per Brooks, and his agent Kent Hughes

“There are a number of ways to skin the cat with Ben on this deal,” Hughes said. “Long term, shorter term … he’s open to different approaches. He likes New York, obviously there was some success there, but I couldn’t predict how he might go.” — Kent Hughes

Respecttheblue
07-01-2014, 01:16 PM
Well there's your answer -- Pouliot to the Oilers for 5 years

In Benoit Pouliot, Edmonton Oilers have added what they sorely needed: a big winger with edge

Breaking news that Edmonton Oilers have signed big winger Benoit Pouliot to a five-year deal for $20 MM.

We had identified Pouliot previously as a prime target for the Oilers,, writing this profile on the vagabond winger two weeks ago:

Bruce mcCurdy Edmonton journal

I really liked the fit of Pouliot on this team.
He was successful here. I feel "used."
But that's your salary cap in action, folks!

Morphinity
07-01-2014, 01:17 PM
AV should get half his salary.

Myusername
07-01-2014, 01:19 PM
4 million is way too much for him. He's a nice player but he's probably not going to break 40 points with them and he takes AWFUL penalties at AWFUL times. Almost negates the good he brings

rmc51
07-01-2014, 01:19 PM
Edmonton is off their rocker. The guy didn't even get 40 points last year in a "breakout" season. He was worth 2.5 mill/yr tops. All the Oilers fans will be expecting him to go there and put up 25 goals and 50+ points with a contract like that.

Respecttheblue
07-01-2014, 01:26 PM
Edmonton is off their rocker. The guy didn't even get 40 points last year in a "breakout" season. He was worth 2.5 mill/yr tops. All the Oilers fans will be expecting him to go there and put up 25 goals and 50+ points with a contract like that.

You are probably right, assuming those are the final dollars.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=456155

The Edmonton Oilers have agreed to terms with defenceman Mark*Fayne on a four-year contract and winger Benoit*Pouliot on a five-year contract.
Pouliot's deal is reportedly worth $20 million over five years. Fayne's deal is believed to be $14 million over four.
Fayne, 27, scored four goals and seven assists in 72 games with the New Jersey Devils in 2013-14.

Oh, and BTW, there goes Fayne, too -- these fucking small market teams flush with cash or what ;)?
I mean is Slats planning to go back to Edmonton to ride off into the sunset or something?

JOHN
07-01-2014, 01:34 PM
I'm fine with him leaving at that price. I think Edmonton wanted to get more grit and speed on their third line. What sucks for us is that he had size and speed, and wasn't against using either. I would've like to have kept him, but not at that price.

Slobberknocker
07-01-2014, 02:10 PM
i can live with this. was to be expected. he did well for us though you really were ready to trash the tv during the playoffs given some of the stupid stupid penalties he took.

RangersRule2
07-03-2014, 01:03 PM
4 million is way too much for him. He's a nice player but he's probably not going to break 40 points with them and he takes AWFUL penalties at AWFUL times. Almost negates the good he brings

The contract is insanity, but I guess it's what you have to do to get people to play up in Edmonton for what will probably be a bad team the next few years.

Maybe it's just me, but if I knew I was going to be in the league for many more years earnings a few more contracts, I would have taken $2.5 MM from the NYR than take $4 MM to be out of the playoffs in February in Edmonton.

Pete
07-03-2014, 01:06 PM
The contract is insanity, but I guess it's what you have to do to get people to play up in Edmonton for what will probably be a bad team the next few years.

Maybe it's just me, but if I knew I was going to be in the league for many more years earnings a few more contracts, I would have taken $2.5 MM from the NYR than take $4 MM to be out of the playoffs in February in Edmonton.

You never know if you're going to be in the league many more years. He could sustain a career ending injury tomorrow. He's got $20 million now compared to $2.5? No brainer.

RangersRule2
07-03-2014, 01:20 PM
You never know if you're going to be in the league many more years. He could sustain a career ending injury tomorrow. He's got $20 million now compared to $2.5? No brainer.

$20 MM vs. $12.5 MM (assuming years the same). But you make a good point Pete, I don't disagree.

Curious.....if you were a FA and you had a choice between playing for the NYR (perennial playoff team, Stanley Cup contender, sold-out games with plenty of big moments in the regular season)....or playing for a team like Edmonton (20% of seats empty, out of playoffs by February)....how much LESS would you be willing to take as a general guide ?

5% ? 10% ? 20% ?

Myself, I am thinking 20-30% is worth it.

Pete
07-03-2014, 01:24 PM
$20 MM vs. $12.5 MM (assuming years the same). But you make a good point Pete, I don't disagree.

Curious.....if you were a FA and you had a choice between playing for the NYR (perennial playoff team, Stanley Cup contender, sold-out games with plenty of big moments in the regular season)....or playing for a team like Edmonton (20% of seats empty, out of playoffs by February)....how much LESS would you be willing to take as a general guide ?

5% ? 10% ? 20% ?

NY didn't offer him a multi-year deal. Edmonton did. For much more money. You're talking about a significant amount of money, it's not $500k for a guy who's already earned like 60 million. He's gone year to year ever since his ELC expired, and this contract alone is double what he's made in the NHL.

Like I said, seems an easy decision.

Morphinity
07-03-2014, 01:29 PM
And, this may shock you, but some players don't care are all that much about winning. Some are willing to be on a mediocre team, or are willing to ride out the storm if they think the future is bright. Pouliot's five year deal makes it so that Edmonton should be at least challenging for a playoff spot at some point.

Karan
07-03-2014, 02:56 PM
And, this may shock you, but some players don't care are all that much about winning. Some are willing to be on a mediocre team, or are willing to ride out the storm if they think the future is bright. Pouliot's five year deal makes it so that Edmonton should be at least challenging for a playoff spot at some point.

I don't know about that. Can't automatically assume Pouls doesn't care about winning just because he took this deal. I'm sure he does to a degree but at this stage of his career he's probably looking for money/security. Contending teams may simply have not offered him that whereas EDM did.

As for EDM contending for a playoff spot at some point on thosd 5 years, I honestly wouldn't be so sure. I think they're actually going to take a step back this year, if such a thing is even possible with EDM...

Morphinity
07-03-2014, 02:57 PM
I don't know about that. Can't automatically assume Pouls doesn't care about winning just because he took this deal. I'm sure he does to a degree but at this stage of his career he's probably looking for money/security. Contending teams may simply have not offered him that whereas EDM did.

I'm just addressing this notion that being on a "winning team" is some form of currency that can justify a player taking less. Some players don't care about that.

Karan
07-03-2014, 02:59 PM
Well Brad Richards is a good example of that. He's probably made enough money unlike Pouls (relatively speaking) that he'd rather play with a contender for less money than sign a fat contract elsewhere.

Puck Head
07-03-2014, 03:14 PM

5% ? 10% ? 20% ?

Since when does Edmonton have 20% of seats open?
Even during these last 4 crap years, they are running at 100% capacity.
Factor in these are average people, not corporate, so they are actually filling the seat.

I've been do games in Edmonton, and New York....Ranger fans are great, but when it comes to hockey fans New York can't compare IMO.

Pete
07-03-2014, 03:16 PM
Since when does Edmonton have 20% of seats open?
Even during these last 4 crap years, they are running at 100% capacity.
Factor in these are average people, not corporate, so they are actually filling the seat.

I've been do games in Edmonton, and New York....Ranger fans are great, but when it comes to hockey fans New York can't compare IMO.

Yep. NY is at 100%, EDM is at 99.9%.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

Puck Head
07-03-2014, 03:21 PM
Yep. NY is at 100%, EDM is at 99.9%.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

And if you go back 5 more years, (all I did)...Edmonton runs at 100%
Dallas, Phoenix, Colorado, LA, New Jersey, New York, etc....all places I have no issue getting tickets on short notice.

Edmonton, Vancouver...not so much.

RangersRule2
07-03-2014, 04:34 PM
NY didn't offer him a multi-year deal. Edmonton did. For much more money. You're talking about a significant amount of money, it's not $500k for a guy who's already earned like 60 million. He's gone year to year ever since his ELC expired, and this contract alone is double what he's made in the NHL. Like I said, seems an easy decision.

Yeah, in this case...but all things equal on years, how much of a 'hometown discount' do you think most athletes would consider giving ? What about you ?

Me personally, I'd have no problem with 20-30%. Hometown, stay near family, New York team, perennial contender, games that mean something even in December and January.

I figure I'd make it up with investing prowess anyway. :D

RangersRule2
07-03-2014, 04:36 PM
Yep. NY is at 100%, EDM is at 99.9%. http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

I saw shots of games in February and March and the place looked deserted in the 2nd period sometimes.

Maybe it was a bad game matchup.

If the fans are so passionate, then why all the years of crying poverty ?

RangersRule2
07-03-2014, 04:37 PM
I'm just addressing this notion that being on a "winning team" is some form of currency that can justify a player taking less. Some players don't care about that.

Totally agree and I have no problem with that.

My problem is with the player who gets a good deal from his existing team where he has 'roots'....gets a blow-away offer from another team.....leaves....and then 18 months into the new 5-year deal he wants out because he doesn't want to watch the playoffs every spring for the next 4 years.

josh
07-03-2014, 04:37 PM
Looks full enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD1JksflupE

josh
07-03-2014, 04:40 PM
I saw shots of games in February and March and the place looked deserted in the 2nd period sometimes.

Maybe it was a bad game matchup.

If the fans are so passionate, then why all the years of crying poverty ?

They are still a small market team.
Youll find someone in Florida wearing a Rangers jersey. You wont find anyone wearing an Oilers jersey... even at their games.

Pete
07-03-2014, 04:45 PM
Yeah, in this case...but all things equal on years, how much of a 'hometown discount' do you think most athletes would consider giving ? What about you ?

Me personally, I'd have no problem with 20-30%. Hometown, stay near family, New York team, perennial contender, games that mean something even in December and January.

I figure I'd make it up with investing prowess anyway. :D

NY isn't a perennial contender.

josh
07-03-2014, 04:46 PM
NY isn't a perennial contender.

Over the last few years, technically speaking, I think we are. Only Chicago and LA have won more playoffs series than the Rangers.

Pete
07-03-2014, 04:49 PM
Over the last few years, technically speaking, I think we are. Only Chicago and LA have won more playoffs series than the Rangers.

Making the playoff doesn't make you a contender. Over half the league makes it.

The Rangers make the playoffs a lot, but how serious are they? 11-12, 13-14, and that's it. Then you have to go back to 06-07.

rmc51
07-03-2014, 04:52 PM
Making the playoff doesn't make you a contender. Over half the league makes it.

The Rangers make the playoffs a lot, but how serious are they? 11-12, 13-14, and that's it. Then you have to go back to 06-07.

Winning playoff series consistently makes them a contender. I am confident they at least get to the 2nd round next year...

Morphinity
07-03-2014, 04:53 PM
Winning playoff series consistently makes them a contender. I am confident they at least get to the 2nd round next year...

Considering half the team is currently not on the team, then I commend you for your ballsiness.

Pete
07-03-2014, 04:55 PM

I don't really agree.

I actually don't agree at all. Winning a round or even 2 a year current make you a serious cop contender.

AmericanJesus
07-03-2014, 05:32 PM
I don't really agree.

I actually don't agree at all. Winning a round or even 2 a year current make you a serious cop contender.

The last 3 years, we've had the most success in the post season in the East.

We've won 6 of 9 playoff rounds

Boston won 4 of 7.

Pittsburgh won 3 of 6.

Devils won 3 of 4.

Montreal won 2 of 4.

Pete
07-03-2014, 05:34 PM

Boston won 4 of 7.

Pittsburgh won 3 of 6.

Devils won 3 of 4.

Montreal won 2 of 4.

Yes. I know. We're not perennial cup contenders.

RangersFan
07-03-2014, 05:38 PM

Boston won 4 of 7.

Pittsburgh won 3 of 6.

Devils won 3 of 4.

Montreal won 2 of 4.

Speaking of the Devils, i hope we dont turn out like them after this cup run

josh
07-03-2014, 05:57 PM
Yes. I know. We're not perennial cup contenders.
We are competing every season.

Believe me, for once

Pete
07-03-2014, 06:26 PM
We are competing every season.

Believe me, for once

16 teams feel this way. :)

josh
07-03-2014, 07:36 PM
16 teams feel this way. :)

Your teams in the cup finals and "we're" still discussing trying to get a lottery pick bc we could never compete and that's the only way to get to be successful.

RichieNextel305
07-03-2014, 07:47 PM
Is this still a thread about Pouliot, or......?

Steven.
07-03-2014, 08:00 PM
Conference finals, semi finals, and a cup finals appearance in the last three years.

I'd call that "contender" worthy. I've certainly enjoyed it.

RangersFan
07-03-2014, 08:02 PM
Conference finals, semi finals, and a cup finals appearance in the last three years.

Just gotta get a damn cup

Pete
07-03-2014, 08:27 PM

So in the lockout year, you considered this team a serious Cup contender?

Steven.
07-03-2014, 08:30 PM
So in the lockout year, you considered this team a serious Cup contender?

Well more so the other two. It's more about the success altogether. 6 playoffs rounds won in 3 years is nothing to scoff at.

I think being a "serious cup contender" is mostly conjecture, anyway.

Pete
07-03-2014, 08:43 PM
Well more so the other two. It's more about the success altogether. 6 playoffs rounds won in 3 years is nothing to scoff at.

I think being a "serious cup contender" is mostly conjecture, anyway.

Look, we can go back playoff appearances from the lockout on...there are only a handful of times we went in as a serious threat.

Steven.
07-03-2014, 08:47 PM
Look, we can go back playoff appearances from the lockout on...there are only a handful of times we went in as a serious threat.

Yeah, twice in the last three years.

I'm pretty happy with that level of success myself. Yeah I'd like to see a cup, but I can't complain.

Pete
07-03-2014, 08:51 PM
Yeah, twice in the last three years.

I'm pretty happy with that level of success myself. Yeah I'd like to see a cup, but I can't complain.

Well, that's not really what this discussion is about. It's about the decision of a player to join "NY as a perennial cup contender". Not about fans happiness. Simply put, we aren't, and haven't been for quite some time when UFAs makes these decisions.

Steven.
07-03-2014, 08:55 PM
Well, that's not really what this discussion is about. It's about the decision of a player to join "NY as a perennial cup contender". Not about fans happiness. Simply put, we aren't, and haven't been for quite some time when UFAs makes these decisions.

I think making the playoffs 8 times out of the last 9 seasons - and winning 6 rounds over the course of the last three years - is something that DOES positively impact a player's decision to sign here. They may not be a "sexy" contender like LA or Chicago, but they're a team with a legitimate chance to win, and a team that WANTS to win.

Although, I think Boyle came here because Marty coaxed him. If that's who the discussion is about. I kind of just jumped in here.

Pete
07-03-2014, 09:01 PM
I think making the playoffs 8 times out of the last 9 seasons - and winning 6 rounds over the course of the last three years - is something that DOES positively impact a player's decision to sign here. They may not be a "sexy" contender like LA or Chicago, but they're a team with a legitimate chance to win, and a team that WANTS to win.

Although, I think Boyle came here because Marty coaxed him. If that's who the discussion is about. I kind of just jumped in here.

Dude, 16 teams make the playoffs every year. It's usually the same group. How many are legit contenders? 6? Making there payoffs, IMO, doesn't make you a serious cup threat, IMO.

The only thing I'll say is, they split playoff bonus money.

RangersFan
07-03-2014, 10:51 PM
Gotta agree with Pete here and Steven a little too. Making the playoffs and winning a few series is nice but like Pete said, its usually the same teams and i agree with Steven when he said making the playoffs makes players want to come here. At the end of the day, we need a cup.

RangersRule2
07-04-2014, 12:43 AM
Maybe, but I saw lots of empty seats in the 'sold out' games....

http://globalnews.ca/news/1024934/whats-to-blame-for-empty-seats-at-sold-out-oilers-games/

Puck Head
07-04-2014, 01:11 AM

http://globalnews.ca/news/1024934/whats-to-blame-for-empty-seats-at-sold-out-oilers-games/

In regards to your point though.
Empty seats in Edmonton at sold out games, (which they do 5 years in a row)...
Don't hold a candle to empty seats at the Garden.

Read the article, the guy lookout all around and found 12 empty seats in lower area.
In Edmonton that's the 7th sign.

But to go waaay back to your original point, no player is coming to New York because all the seats are filled.
Rangers don't even come close to that type of fanbase like the Canadian teams.

Puck Head
07-04-2014, 01:12 AM

In regards to your point though.
Empty seats in Edmonton at sold out games, (which they do 5 years in a row)...
Don't hold a candle to empty seats at the Garden.

Read the article, the guy lookout all around and found 12 empty seats in lower area.
In Edmonton that's the 7th sign.

But to go waaay back to your original point, no player is coming to New York because all the seats are filled.
Rangers don't even come close to that type of fanbase like the Canadian teams.

RangersFan
07-04-2014, 03:03 AM
Just because seats are empty doesnt mean they arent sold

Slobberknocker
08-25-2014, 11:57 AM
ressurected this post. interesting quote from benoit in today's pro hockey talk site

“Yeah, but that’s fine. You know what, I like that, I like that a lot,” Pouliot said. “I think that last year was the same way, we were a third line. They put us out there with the big players, even in playoffs. In Pitts we got stuck against [Sidney Crosby] the whole playoffs and we did a great job.

“So I thrive to be good defensively. I like it, I like to be able to get the puck out, have a good stick, or all of the details like that. I don’t mind that, it causes us to go on the forecheck on the offense and after that we take care of business.”

It might not always be pretty, but Edmonton needed more players who are adept at doing the dirty work.