PDA

View Full Version : Henrik Lundqvist on Breakaways

RichieNextel305
03-06-2014, 04:35 PM
You can make the argument that, going into this year, Henrik Lundqvist was probably the very best goaltender in the league when it came to a 1-on-1 situation. There were few goalies who could intimidate a shooter in a shootout/breakaway situation like Hank did. There were hardly any forwards in the league who could out-wait him, and not a whole lot who could make him look foolish. He wasn't automatic, but he was damn good in that type of situation.

However, this year, he just hasn't been that good. Where you felt comfortable his entire career when he had to face a penalty shot, or a shootout attempt or a breakaway, now you worry a bit. I can't remember him getting beat in these types of situations more than I have this year. I had zero confidence he was stopping Bozak last night.

What has happened to him in these situations?

Pete
03-06-2014, 05:00 PM
He was always good on dekes, and never good on shots snapped off quickly. So the book on him has gotten out, lots of guys were shooting in those situations, even last year. When getting beat by the shot got in his head, it allowed shooters to freeze him with a god move. Now he's just lacking confidence.

So Nashty
03-06-2014, 05:18 PM
Funny... I was thinking the same thing last night after torontos first goal.

RichieNextel305
03-06-2014, 05:35 PM
Going into situations like that, I always felt good with him. Last night, I really realized that I have close to no confidence in him in those spots.

ZebraDude
03-06-2014, 06:34 PM
It's hard to move quickly when weighed down by $8.5 million in your shorts........

ThirtyONE
03-06-2014, 08:20 PM
Hank is 0-3 in penalty shots this season. Not great.

RichieNextel305
03-07-2014, 09:26 PM
0-4.

Ranger Lothbrok
03-07-2014, 09:54 PM
You know, call me crazy, but in listening to Biron analyze Henrik on that penalty shot, something occurred to me. Hank's been terrible at them ever since Biron retired, and we always used to see Biron giving him advice before each shootout player went. Granted there's no time to do that on a penalty shot, but I wonder if Biron's years in the league and knowledge of each player's tendencies allowed him to properly advise Hank.

Dunny
03-07-2014, 09:57 PM
But he was really good before Biron.

Ranger Lothbrok
03-07-2014, 09:58 PM
But he was really good before Biron.

Also true. I guess it's just a confidence thing at this point.

Myusername
03-07-2014, 10:46 PM
I think he's a little disinterested. Like I said in the other thread, he has a kid now who's probably taking his attention away from hockey, and also knowing that he's owed 8.5 million a season no matter how crappy he plays doesn't help.

I'm worried because we'll be out in 4 or 5 games if he keeps this up into the playoffs. AV shouldn't be afraid to use Talbot when necessary. It's almost a waste having such a hot backup just sitting there

quick release
03-07-2014, 10:56 PM
I think he's a little disinterested. Like I said in the other thread, he has a kid now who's probably taking his attention away from hockey, and also knowing that he's owed 8.5 million a season no matter how crappy he plays doesn't help.

I'm worried because we'll be out in 4 or 5 games if he keeps this up into the playoffs. AV shouldn't be afraid to use Talbot when necessary. It's almost a waste having such a hot backup just sitting there

I think you couldn't be more wrong about the first part. What about him strikes you as being "disinterested"? He seems like the type of guy that hates himself after he lets in a goal. Didn't you see him swing his stick at the ice in total frustration after that shootout goal? I just see no reason whatsoever why you would come to this conclusion. It's bizarre.

fletch
03-07-2014, 10:57 PM
It may just be a matter of confidence and luck. Puck rolls just when the shooter is about to fire and shooter can't find a hole, shot bangs off the post and out instead of in, etc. Bad stretch can easily turn into a good stretch with no difference in performance from Hank, just having the luck even out.

I'm more worried about his overall play. When you hand someone a big long term contract, you're banking that they will continue what made them successful. I didn't like what I saw early in the season before the contract was signed, and I'm just hoping Hank snaps out of it sooner rather than later.

Winter
03-07-2014, 11:00 PM
Lundqvist stopped a breakaway shot at the end of the game. No one must of saw it

quick release
03-07-2014, 11:05 PM
Lundqvist stopped a breakaway shot at the end of the game. No one must of saw it

I think everyone saw it. The shot pretty much went directly into his glove though. It wasn't a spectacular save or anything. Hopefully it helps his confidence after being frustrated by letting in a similar shot on that Skinner S.O. goal.

Winter
03-07-2014, 11:21 PM
I think everyone saw it. The shot pretty much went directly into his glove though. It wasn't a spectacular save or anything. Hopefully it helps his confidence after being frustrated by letting in a similar shot on that Skinner S.O. goal.

Watch the plays penalty shots he's been coasting way out of the net and that's not his comfort zone

quick release
03-07-2014, 11:25 PM
Watch the plays penalty shots he's been coasting way out of the net and that's not his comfort zone

Ok I can believe that. I just have a hard time believing that it's like Myusername said... that he's playing way out of his net because he's coasting towards his $8.5m dollar checks.

Winter
03-07-2014, 11:38 PM
I agree Lundqvist seems to have achieved a lot he likely wants nothing more than to win the cup for NY & take the Cup back home to Åre. He's close to breaking Richters record of all time wins as a Ranger...(possibly thats something on his mind?)

On a side note I think some on here are picking up on the facebook comments to much Lundqvist needs to stop coming out of the net and get caught coasting backwards 0-4...but do our dmen know what a stick lift is anymore? Putting your stick above the breaking players waist is asking for a penalty shot every time

quick release
03-07-2014, 11:57 PM
He's also 1 win away from 300. Not saying that has anything to do with it. But haven't seen anyone point this out.. not even the MSG crew.

Winter
03-08-2014, 12:03 AM
He's also 1 win away from 300. Not saying that has anything to do with it. But haven't seen anyone point this out.. not even the MSG crew.

I can't believe they haven't mention him passing Richter I mean it's not worldwide headline news but its a pretty big milestone for Henrik

quick release
03-08-2014, 12:04 AM
Just realized it's pretty much the same thing. Richter has 301. Henrik is at 299.

I know right? You'd think that would be every other sentence out of Sam's mouth.

Winter
03-08-2014, 12:05 AM
Well you can expect a Brooks article on it Sunday :rofl:

James Lionel Price
03-08-2014, 12:44 AM
He's had a tough year. He isn't playing at his usual level. There is a different energy with Henrik, like a down vibe. They should make sure he gets good rest. It seemed like he was coming into form before the Olympics. Hopefully he can get back to that. The penalty shots, as all categories really, are down for HL this year.

EdMc28
03-08-2014, 02:31 AM
I hope its a case of where he can stop one and get his confidence back and regain his form.

The best way to prevent these issues is stop allowing guys to get behind our D men.

momentum
03-08-2014, 06:55 AM

I have to laugh at this...I have a kid now so I don't care about hockey now....wow..yeah ok....so when you have kids you don't care about the rest of your life...funny..i have 4 kids and it never happened to me...or anyone else I know of...if anything most ppl I know when they get kids gets even more motivated to make something out of themselves or simply straighten out...I think if you have any kind of perception and knowledge how to read peoples personality I think you would see that Hank cares, he cares quite a bit more than most I would guess actually. This is simply a case of Henrik having an off year (finally for once), or at least he has been up and down with both bad stretches and good stretches and his confidence has been shot, confidence is extremely important especially in goaltending IMO. Second guessing yourself when trying to score might lead to you not scoring a goal at that point but second guessing yourself as a goalie and the puck fucking goes in, and ppl scream oh there he goes again that fucker..
I'm sure hanks play is driving himself crazy this year. But I think lately it's also been a case of where people blame him for every friggin goal he lets in. Even goals where it's clearly the defense in front of him breaking down or maybe just a really nice play by the opponents many still goes ahh that 8.5 mil goalie, he sucks.
But that comes with the territory when you sign a contract like that I suppose so Hanks going to have to work through it or learn how to block it all out and just go out and do his job.
I'm not really that worried about Hank because we saw in a stretch this season that he stills has it in him. It isn't some injury or equipment or he forgot how to do it. This is simply a confidence issue and I think he will get going again.

Dunny
03-08-2014, 07:24 AM
First, the wins thing can't be compared to Richter. Totally different format. Second, his breakaway save at the end of the game pretty much illustrated why his glove hand sucks. Watch it again, it's so fucking awkward it's painful. It's clear he never played baseball as a kid. My theory about his glove is supported by how he plays the puck like an Atom house-leaguer. He has no hands. How many shots do you see hit his glove and somehow not stay in it?

Anyways, it's always been the case so it's not like he can't be fucking phenomenal with his crappy glove hand, of course he can, this is just really anecdotal.

Ranger Lothbrok
03-08-2014, 09:21 AM
First, the wins thing can't be compared to Richter. Totally different format. Second, his breakaway save at the end of the game pretty much illustrated why his glove hand sucks. Watch it again, it's so fucking awkward it's painful. It's clear he never played baseball as a kid. My theory about his glove is supported by how he plays the puck like an Atom house-leaguer. He has no hands. How many shots do you see hit his glove and somehow not stay in it?

Anyways, it's always been the case so it's not like he can't be fucking phenomenal with his crappy glove hand, of course he can, this is just really anecdotal.

Agreed. He has what we called stone-hands in high school. No give, no flex, and tough to get to the right spot. And if you somehow manage to get your glove on it, it just hits it and bounces out.

Side note: Henrik's starting to get a stately gray beard. I can't believe it. I know he didn't come in to the league until he was 23 or 24, but it seems like yesterday that he had the babyface out of the group.

G1000
03-08-2014, 09:30 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the guy is entitled to fuck up a few times. He's bound to, since his back must be all kinds of messed up from carrying this team for a decade.

Ranger Lothbrok
03-08-2014, 09:49 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the guy is entitled to fuck up a few times. He's bound to, since his back must be all kinds of messed up from carrying this team for a decade.

That's fine, and to a degree I agree with that. Problem is it's been a season full of mediocre performances. Talbot has out-performed him statistically, which is saying something. You can't afford to be worried when you put your starter in, and you sure as hell shouldn't have to give serious thought to starting your backup in big games.

Dunny
03-08-2014, 10:07 AM
The problem is he has to be one of the best. 2 or 3 goalies in the world, every year, or his contract is brutal. Pre-cap I wouldn't care, he could be my goalie until he wants to retire, but paying a goalie what he makes is every bit as dumb as paying Callahan 7 million.

Myusername
03-08-2014, 10:09 AM
I think you couldn't be more wrong about the first part. What about him strikes you as being "disinterested"? He seems like the type of guy that hates himself after he lets in a goal. Didn't you see him swing his stick at the ice in total frustration after that shootout goal? I just see no reason whatsoever why you would come to this conclusion. It's bizarre.

Ok, maybe not disinterested, but something is definitely up with his head. Over thinking, lack of confidence, or whatever it is. Doesn't look comfortable.

Pete
03-08-2014, 10:24 AM

Please stop with this. Being really good in your 20s doesn't mean it's OK to be bad in your 30s because you "earned" it.

AmericanJesus
03-08-2014, 10:35 AM
Problem I see is that even when he was one of the top goalies in the game for years, some had to nit pick. Now that he's having a slump year, which happens to every athlete in every sport at some point in their careers, those who nit picked before are taking it to that next level. Calling him horrible or the like. Which is absurd. He has been off his game, no doubt. But Hank off his game is still a good NHL level goalie. We need more. No doubt. He needs to be better. But maybe ease up on the judging of a contract that hasn't even started yet or saying he's disinterested. He's far from that.

Ranger Lothbrok
03-08-2014, 10:38 AM
He needs to start bunking with MSL. I'll bet that guy even cooks breakfast like it's Stanley Cup Game 7.

Pete
03-08-2014, 10:42 AM
I agree with you for the most part, but every single player gets called out when they struggle and I'm not sure why some people think some players should be immune.

Granted saying he sucks is very different from an objective discussion about a struggling player.

But I'd argue the "problem" is that you think 5 sick saves earns a pass on a weak goal. It doesn't. At all.

Winter
03-08-2014, 11:20 AM
We need him back to "allowing less than 3 form" IMO Lundqvist wont be doing that sitting on the bench. If he plays to his career playoff numbers this team has no excuse not to score 3/4 goals a game with its offensive tallent. We will be hard to beat come April if thats the case. I'm much more worried about these players struggling to finish scoring chances than I am Lundqvist.

he let up 2 goals last night which a stick lift by Stralman at the least it avoids a penalty shot and I think it was Krieder who drifted towards the boards at the blue line instead of keeping his position on the other. We're not the Blues and only going to let up 16 shots but we could be way better in these situations than we are just by staying focused and being smart when on the defense.

AmericanJesus
03-08-2014, 12:13 PM
I agree with you for the most part, but every single player gets called out when they struggle and I'm not sure why some people think some players should be immune.

Granted saying he sucks is very different from an objective discussion about a struggling player.

But I'd argue the "problem" is that you think 5 sick saves earns a pass on a weak goal. It doesn't. At all.

It's all relative to his top form though. He gave up a goal on a two on one to the shooter and on a penalty shot to a thirty goal scorer. Neither was weak although both were still stopable to Hank in his top form.

McDougalfaschnitzer
03-08-2014, 12:32 PM
From what I've seen, his timing has been a bit off. In the past where we saw him get right back to the post to shut down dekes, but now he is going straight across on dekes that leave openings between the post and his body (Crosby olympic goal comes to mind)

RichieNextel305
11-18-2014, 04:12 PM
I think there was a thread on this previously, and if possible, I will try and find it and merge these 2.

Plain and simple, what has happened here? Seriously. What the hell has happened? This man used to be the very best 1-on-1 goaltender on this planet. He preached patience and showed it. If you beat him sometimes with a quick shot to his glove, it happened. He was human. He had that as a weakness there, and even that wasn't horrific. I think we all had all of the confidence in the world in him whenever it came to a breakaway or a shootout, because he was always tough to beat.

Now? Truthfully now, I have zero confidence in him in these situations. None. Not even a little. Listen, no one is going to sit back and blame Lundqvist for that goal Stamkos scored last night. Nash made a bad turnover against probably the best pure goal scorer in the NHL and he walked in on a breakaway and did what he does best: he scored.

But, even still, a few years ago, Stamkos or not, I always believed he had a chance. The second Nash turned that puck over and Stamkos had the breakaway, I knew the end result would be a goal. Hell, even that 1st period goal by Kucherov, while it wasn't Lundqvist's fault alone (they just totally broke down defensively and watched Tampa Bay go tic-tac-toe), it was a very soft goal to give up. He had it, and it went right through him. Again, a couple of years ago, maybe he stops that.

He just doesn't have that confidence anymore when it comes to breakaways. It's very easy to see. He blinks first all the time now. That Tanguay shootout goal the other night is something you would ever see him do 3 or so years ago. He made the move first, and while Tanguay showed his share of patience and made a very nice shot, Lundqvist was just all over the place sprawling out of the net.

I know there a lot of issues with this team right now. But, this is one of them IMO and it deserves to be talked about. With the frequency of our shootouts this year, he needs to get his stuff together right now, whether it's a psychological thing or not. Because those are points we can't afford to keep pissing away. It's not solely on him, and I get that. The scorers need to score some goals. But, he has exude some type of confidence. And right now he isn't, and it's showing.

Please don't mistaken this for a Lundqvist bashing thread. I love the guy like we all do. He is, for my money, the best in the business and I likely wouldn't trade him for another goaltender on this planet 1-for-1. He's elite, and I really do believe he is the best in the world. But, I don't think it's illegal to point out some of his flaws just like we do with others.

EDIT: To the mod who found this and merged it, thank you for saving me the job of doing so!

Morphinity
11-18-2014, 04:31 PM
50% in the shootout this year and I'm assuming similar on the breakaways is killing us, plain and simple.

AmericanJesus
11-18-2014, 04:48 PM
This is certainly the worst he's been in his career in SO, although there's still time obviously this season to bring those numbers up:

14/15 - 4 SO (.571)
13/14 - 6 SO (.652)
12/13 - 7 SO (.760)
11/12 - 7 SO (.720)
10/11 - 10 SO (.848)
09/10 - 6 SO (.682)
08/09 - 13 SO (.750)
07/08 - 13 SO (.690)
06/07 - 12 SO (.820)
05/06 - 7 SO (.757)

Can't find stats on normal breakaways. It's possible with our more up tempo game and beat up defense, he's facing more clean breakaways right now.

Future
11-18-2014, 05:13 PM
I wonder if, considering the importance of shootouts now, players are spending a lot more time working on them than they used to.

Pete
11-18-2014, 05:20 PM
When you've been around as long as Hank, the book is out.

He plays deep. He's vulnerable to wrist shots. He's mostly beaten on wrist shots. Stamkos' goal was a deke, but he froze Hank by selling him on the wrist shot, then he went backhand/forehand.

AmericanJesus
11-18-2014, 05:51 PM
When you've been around as long as Hank, the book is out.

He plays deep. He's vulnerable to wrist shots. He's mostly beaten on wrist shots. Stamkos' goal was a deke, but he froze Hank by selling him on the wrist shot, then he went backhand/forehand.

It's also still a pretty small sample size. This year you're talking 6 goals on 14 shots for .571 save percentage. One more save would jump that up to .643. Two more saves would .714. We'll have to see what happens over a longer sample.

Pete
11-18-2014, 05:56 PM
It's also still a pretty small sample size. This year you're talking 6 goals on 14 shots for .571 save percentage. One more save would jump that up to .643. Two more saves would .714. We'll have to see what happens over a longer sample.

I'm not just talking shootouts, though. I'm talking in-game, 1-on-1 situations.

Mike
11-18-2014, 10:17 PM
Which still isn't good.
.725 -.750 is where a goalie should be at whatever level they are playing on past 18

AmericanJesus
11-19-2014, 09:16 AM
I'm not just talking shootouts, though. I'm talking in-game, 1-on-1 situations.

Yeah, I get that Pete. I just can't find stats for that. I remember every breakaway goal he's given up this season, but not how many he's stopped. It kind of feels like every other one goes in, but I don't know that for sure. And we're still not 1/4 way through the season yet.

phillyb™
11-19-2014, 09:26 AM
he did stop crosby and someone else in OT on a clean breakaway.
i have very little confidence in the shootout hank, but on a breakaway in the game, i don't think he's horrible.

Future
11-19-2014, 09:58 AM
he did stop crosby and someone else in OT on a clean breakaway.
i have very little confidence in the shootout hank, but on a breakaway in the game, i don't think he's horrible.
It was Letang.

I think Lundqvist is pressing, which is why he's getting himself off balance and kind of floundering at times. He's trying to make the great save.

Pete
11-19-2014, 10:06 AM
It was Letang.

I think Lundqvist is pressing, which is why he's getting himself off balance and kind of floundering at times. He's trying to make the great save.

Agree, with this, too. It was never more evident than when he was 1 on 1 with Callahan.

phillyb™
11-19-2014, 12:19 PM
It was Letang.

there were two breakaways in OT in that game. and you're right...one was letang.
and hank stopped both.

fletch
11-19-2014, 06:17 PM
Small sample size amplified by how much attention breakaway/shootouts get compounded by player confidence (of both the shooter and the goalie) and how well each player is playing....

Seems like a whole lot of noise and looking for a pattern where there is a lot of stochasticity.

thes5
11-20-2014, 11:40 AM
Hank is certainly on the decline. That is not to say that he is not capable of moments of brilliance.

I have my own opinion regarding Hank, an unpopular one at that.

Suffice it to say that this team will not get value out of his recent contract.

Vodka Drunkenski
11-20-2014, 12:37 PM
Hank never gets the love, guess that comes with the territory, always under the microscope more than others.

Guy carries us to the finals, all time wins and shutouts but still not appreciated by some. Similar to Eli, won't know what we have until it's gone.

Morphinity
11-20-2014, 12:46 PM
Oh please, stop it with this "Hank never gets the love" stuff.

He gets more love than anyone on this team, but he also gets more criticism than anyone on this team. As you said it comes with the territory.

When he's good, he will be appreciated. When he's bad, he will be criticized, and it doesn't matter how many all-time wins he has.

We can reflect on all the finals he carried us to, all the shutouts, all the wins, and hopefully all the Cup(s) he has after his career is over. Right now, he's a player on this team with huge expectations, a huge price tag and can be subject to criticism (moreso than others because of his position).

That said, for someone to claim right now that he's "certainly" on a decline and that we won't see value out of his contract is completely premature and just plain misguided.

Mike
11-20-2014, 01:07 PM
He has to be the Hank from game 5 Pens - Game 6 Habs. Those are the performances he gets paid for. We can allow a stinker here and there, but 1 bad game in a 7 game series is easier to overcome than 2-3 questionable ones.

Vodka Drunkenski
11-20-2014, 01:23 PM
Oh please, stop it with this "Hank never gets the love" stuff. He gets more love than anyone on this team, but he also gets more criticism than anyone on this team. As you said it comes with the territory. When he's good, he will be appreciated. When he's bad, he will be criticized, and it doesn't matter how many all-time wins he has. We can reflect on all the finals he carried us to, all the shutouts, all the wins, and hopefully all the Cup(s) he has after his career is over. Right now, he's a player on this team with huge expectations, a huge price tag and can be subject to criticism (moreso than others because of his position). That said, for someone to claim right now that he's "certainly" on a decline and that we won't see value out of his contract is completely premature and just plain misguided.

Thank you for pretty much reiterating my point after telling me to "please stop".

Morphinity
11-20-2014, 01:33 PM
Thank you for pretty much reiterating my point after telling me to "please stop".
No, I actually expanded on your point rather than simply stating that he "doesn't get the love" which just isn't true.

And then I disagreed with you. Read again.

jjweimar
11-20-2014, 02:50 PM
Hank is still an elite goalie in this league. Does he have the ability to still be the best, yes he still has a couple years of this left in him. Will the last few seasons maybe be poor, it is possible but who is to say for sure that once January hits he doesn't start playing great hockey again. He has 3 SO's, if he plays anywhere near where he played last year after December, he will be one of the leading candidates for the Vezina.

I agree he needs to do a lot better on Shootouts, I think on breakaways he's been fine. The Callahan one, I truly believe Hank tried making a quick play because he didn't think Ryan could handle the puck that well and tried to make the quick stop and got beat going down, it was a do or die move...Shootouts on the other hand, he needs to be better. But let's not let all these games get to a shootout. He is not our issue right now, we're not getting enough scoring from players like Kreider, Zucc, Duclair, Hayes, Stepan, Boyle, Hagelin to be winning enough, Jeeze Klein is tied for 4th on the team in goals.

I think once McD comes back and we have a fully healthy D, so Girardi can get a little extra rest and we get players clicking once everyone is healthy and going we will be one of the better teams in the East. Hank I think is not a concern yet, maybe in a few years but not yet

thes5
11-20-2014, 03:29 PM
Look, Hank has been the best goalie to put on a Ranger uniform but he is not above criticism.

I disagree about him "carrying this team to the finals". He had some great games and he also had some real stinkers. In general, our defense was our strenght.

IMO, the team rewarded him for his past performance. Unless the salary cap goes up significantly, that contract will hurt in the years to come.

For the poster who mentioned Eli, there is a difference, two SB rings. If Hank was wearing two Stanley Cup rings, you can bet that the criticism would be much less. At least much less than what Eli is receiving now.

Karan
11-20-2014, 04:04 PM
Well his mediocre SO performances certainly wouldn't be under as much scrutiny if the bloody shooters gave him some support and actually scored a little more in the SO...

Morphinity
11-20-2014, 04:27 PM
It would be one thing if he had a .900 SV% in the shootout and we still were 1-4 in the shootouts... but that's not the case. He's just as culpable as the shooters.

RichieNextel305
11-20-2014, 05:34 PM
Hank never gets the love, guess that comes with the territory, always under the microscope more than others.

Guy carries us to the finals, all time wins and shutouts but still not appreciated by some. Similar to Eli, won't know what we have until it's gone.

....talk about hardly reading the thread at all. Jeez.

No one here is saying we don't appreciate Hank, or that we don't love him. We all understand how great he is and how lucky we are to have him. Does that mean writing something negative about him means we don't? No. He's a Ranger, and can get critiqued just like any other Ranger could, should and ultimately will. His performances in the shootout and on penalty shots have been, as of late, sub-par. Does that mean we don't "appreciate" him? Hardly. We all know what the guy means to the franchise. But, even he is not above criticism when a point in his play calls for it. And, like previously noted, some feel his 1-on-1 play calls for it.

Talk about a classic exaggeration. Wow.

Vodka Drunkenski
11-20-2014, 06:37 PM
....talk about hardly reading the thread at all. Jeez. No one here is saying we don't appreciate Hank, or that we don't love him. We all understand how great he is and how lucky we are to have him. Does that mean writing something negative about him means we don't? No. He's a Ranger, and can get critiqued just like any other Ranger could, should and ultimately will. His performances in the shootout and on penalty shots have been, as of late, sub-par. Does that mean we don't "appreciate" him? Hardly. We all know what the guy means to the franchise. But, even he is not above criticism when a point in his play calls for it. And, like previously noted, some feel his 1-on-1 play calls for it. Talk about a classic exaggeration. Wow.

Maybe if you read the post above mine you would see it was what I was referring to. Also, if you read my post, you would see I said by "some", not all.

Vodka Drunkenski
11-20-2014, 06:41 PM
No, I actually expanded on your point rather than simply stating that he "doesn't get the love" which just isn't true. And then I disagreed with you. Read again.

Funny that you stop at "doesn't get love" but ignore the fact that I said it comes with the territory. Sorry that I went the cliff notes version rather than your expanded version.

Morphinity
11-20-2014, 06:51 PM
Funny that you stop at "doesn't get love" but ignore the fact that I said it comes with the territory. Sorry that I went the cliff notes version rather than your expanded version.

Sometimes you just gotta put in the effort, y'know? Maybe there wouldn't be so much confusion as to what exactly you mean.

Vodka Drunkenski
11-20-2014, 06:53 PM
Fair enough. I mostly post from my phone so short and simple is easier

Morphinity
11-20-2014, 07:05 PM
I feel that. I try to refrain from posting from mobile.

Funnily enough, I posted my response to you on my phone lol

Vodka Drunkenski
11-20-2014, 07:09 PM
I feel that. I try to refrain from posting from mobile. Funnily enough, I posted my response to you on my phone lol

Damn, I must've really struck a nerve lol :cheers:

Tonybologna
11-21-2014, 02:08 AM
Last year the Rangers had 6 OT losses, this year they already have 4 and all of them have come from the shootout. I'm not totally sure where I'm going with these numbers, but I'm sure some of it has to do with Lundqvist being worse in the shootout this year, the team not being able to score in 5 minutes of 4v4 this year (or just get it done in regulation), and also it speaks about how ridiculously often shootouts can occur.

NYR2711
11-21-2014, 10:38 AM
His glove side used to be an issue for us, now its the five hole. The only way guys are scoring on him is if they get him moving and shoot before he can poke the puck away. I don't know if he is trying to poke check the puck more this year than others, but the gap between his legs is killing us this year.

Ranger Lothbrok
11-22-2014, 02:40 PM
Sometimes you just gotta put in the effort, y'know? Maybe there wouldn't be so much confusion as to what exactly you mean.

Can I consider this post a license to keep composing novels? ;) :D

Mike
11-22-2014, 02:57 PM
His glove side used to be an issue for us, now its the five hole. The only way guys are scoring on him is if they get him moving and shoot before he can poke the puck away. I don't know if he is trying to poke check the puck more this year than others, but the gap between his legs is killing us this year.

Isn't that what kills all of us, always?

Vodka Drunkenski
11-22-2014, 10:56 PM
I see what you did there