PDA

View Full Version : Rumor/Report: Bruins to Contact Rangers About Girardi

CreaseCrusader91
12-28-2013, 06:58 PM
@MarkDivver:

Glenn Healy says Bruins will call Rangers on Girardi

Bruin writer passing this along. They lost Seidenberg for the season today so I understand the interest.

@SpectorsHockey:
Glenn Healy thinks #Bruins might call #NYR about Dan Girardi following Seidenberg injury. @FriedgeHNIC wonders if #Ducks could have interest

Johnnydollaz18
12-28-2013, 07:21 PM
Sure if they wanna give us Lucic

CreaseCrusader91
12-28-2013, 07:33 PM
Sure if they wanna give us Lucic

Sell high on G. He is a dead ringer for Seidenberg and I think they'd anti up.

RichieNextel305
12-28-2013, 07:35 PM
Girardi for Marchand???

Johnnydollaz18
12-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Prefer Lucic honestly.

Pete
12-28-2013, 07:49 PM
Boston is unlikely to be trading Lucic for an impending UFA.

!br-avery!
12-28-2013, 07:52 PM
why the hell would they trade Lucic?

twentyseven
12-28-2013, 07:58 PM
Come on, there is no way Lucic is gonna be traded, especially for just Girardi...

Phil in Absentia
12-28-2013, 08:16 PM
I'd take Marchand and their first, or a return of multiple prospects. Joe Morrow to start.

Puck Head
12-28-2013, 08:30 PM
You guys are kidding about all these trade proposals right?

Phil in Absentia
12-28-2013, 08:32 PM
What's to kid about? If they are calling for Girardi, they want him as a rental. I want a first-round pick. Ideally, I'd also like a prospect or player. Marchand if they need to make money work (he makes $4.5M through 2017), Joe Morrow or a top prospect if they don't.

Puck Head
12-28-2013, 08:34 PM
Boston plans on making a run at the cup.
Players such as Lucic, Marchand, etc they will have no interest in moving.

They have a nice group of young defenseman.

And yes, I'd be willing to give up Girardi and even a later pick for Morrow.

Puck Head
12-28-2013, 08:36 PM
Boston also loaded at the Center position for prospects.

Ranger Lothbrok
12-28-2013, 08:36 PM
Don't know anything about Morrow. Can somebody fill me in?

Phil in Absentia
12-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Boston plans on making a run at the cup.
Players such as Lucic, Marchand, etc they will have no interest in moving.

They have a nice group of young defenseman.

And yes, I'd be willing to give up Girardi and even a later pick for Morrow.

Boston also loaded at the Center position for prospects.

That's fine. Then their first and Morrow. Done deal.

Puck Head
12-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Don't know anything about Morrow. Can somebody fill me in?

Probably a future offensive stud.
But.....Boston already had two young guns in Krug and "dougie".
Wish we had their problems

Puck Head
12-28-2013, 08:41 PM
That's fine. Then their first and Morrow. Done deal.

Girardi is UFA
I think Morrow is worth as much. Girardi and our 2nd, for Morrow and Fitzgerald.

Phil in Absentia
12-28-2013, 08:43 PM
And UFA players cost a pretty penny to rent. Look at the price paid for most of them the last few years.

Boston's first rounder will likely be a late rounder, which is essentially a second-round pick, especially if they win the Cup.

Puck Head
12-28-2013, 08:47 PM
Would you give up Kredier and a 1st for Girardi?

Cause that's exactly what you are thinking the Bruins are doing with Morrow.
I'm just saying.

Phil in Absentia
12-28-2013, 08:48 PM
If I had the Bruins' team and wanted to go on a Cup run? Probably.

Again, you're talking about the 30th overall and a prospect for a Stanley Cup.

Puck Head
12-28-2013, 08:50 PM
This is almost too good to be true.
Contending team, and we have exactly what they might need.
And that contending team has 4 or 5 prospects I would LOVE to get.

Forget the draft pick, just give us two of those prospects. (Morrow and one of those centerman)

Morrow and Fitzgerald
Morrow and that Russian kid

I'm guessing spooner can't be touched

RichieNextel305
12-28-2013, 08:54 PM
Definitely don't think Marchand is off limits.

Puck Head
12-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Definitely don't think Marchand is off limits.

If Boston is making a run at the cup (which they are).....and thus why they would want a vet like Girardi...

Why would they ever trade Marchand??

Lt. Dan
12-28-2013, 09:01 PM
Say they trade for a prospect and a first rounder.. Who eats up Girardi's minutes on the blueline? Those are big shoes to fill especially now with injuries.

Puck Head
12-28-2013, 09:03 PM
Say they trade for a prospect and a first rounder.. Who eats up Girardi's minutes on the blueline? Those are big shoes to fill especially now with injuries.

Gotta look past the next game
Long term that would be a steal for us

Lt. Dan
12-28-2013, 09:13 PM
Gotta look past the next game
Long term that would be a steal for us

I agree I just don't see management willing to do it.

Puck Head
12-28-2013, 09:15 PM
I agree I just don't see management willing to do it.

I hear ya....but I could dream a little.
Getting two prospects such as Morrow and Fitzgerald for Girardi.

And then getting a top prospect and a high draft pick for Callahan.....

Would do wonders for our future.

Rangers
12-28-2013, 09:42 PM
G is going to be a perfect fit on that team. It's scary!

Mike
12-28-2013, 09:53 PM
If Marchand was on fire, I wouldn't piss on him to put it out. Fuck him.

Lt. Dan
12-28-2013, 09:55 PM

That would require vision on their part which we know they severely lack. At this point I wouldn't be opposed to it. So tired of drifting in the middle of the pack. I want this team to lead damn it.

Phil in Absentia
12-28-2013, 10:35 PM

Agreed. Don't know much about Fitzgerald. Who's the Russian — Khokhlachev? Same guy that was going to go to Calgary for Iginla? Don't know much about him either, but his scouting report reads how you'd want it to for the players the franchise needs.

Same. I don't actually want him. I can't stand him as a person, but I'd take him based on his hockey skill.

leetchy2
12-28-2013, 10:46 PM
How about Girardi for Dougie Hamilton?

Phil in Absentia
12-28-2013, 10:53 PM
How about Girardi for Dougie Hamilton?

They're already down a defender. It's why they'd be making the trade. I seriously doubt they'd move a roster defenseman for him — least of all Hamilton.

I think PuckHead has it right here — get prospects. Morrow and a center prospect like Alexander Khokhlachev or Ryan Fitzgerald would be ideal.

NYR2711
12-28-2013, 10:55 PM
I would love to get two of their top prospects or one and a first rounder. Would love to make a deal like this.

Pete
12-28-2013, 11:08 PM
I'd take Marchand. He's just what this team needs.

Bruins already discussed moving him this summer. And he's on the outs there.

Phil in Absentia
12-28-2013, 11:15 PM
I'd take Marchand. He's just what this team needs.

Bruins already discussed moving him this summer. And he's on the outs there.

He's ruffled feathers more than a few times this year as well. They were quite upset with him over the ring-kissing motion, as well as the Cup-lifting one in the Vancouver game earlier this month.

Puck Head
12-28-2013, 11:25 PM
Agreed. Don't know much about Fitzgerald. Who's the Russian — Khokhlachev? Same guy that was going to go to Calgary for Iginla? Don't know much about him either, but his scouting report reads how you'd want it to for the players the franchise needs.

Same. I don't actually want him. I can't stand him as a person, but I'd take him based on his hockey skill.

I forget the Russian kids name.
Played in the OHL or Q....went back to Russia, then came back. Was reading on him a while back.
High end potential prospect (which we need more of).

Bruins have 3 or 4 very solid NHL centerman...some of the best depth in the NHL.
PLUS they have Spooner, the Russian, and Fitz as center prospects.

And same thing with blue line.
4 very young stud defenseman...but just like any NHL team can only afford to play 2 (Dougie and Krug).

I think it's a perfect trading partner for us.

Girardi for Morrow + Russian or Fitz

Phil in Absentia
12-28-2013, 11:30 PM
Played in the OHL or Q....went back to Russia, then came back. Was reading on him a while back.

Bruins have 3 or 4 very solid NHL centerman...some of the best depth in the NHL.

4 very young stud defenseman...but just like any NHL team can only afford to play 2 (Dougie and Krug).

Gotta be Khokhlachev. His scouting report reads of high-end skill.

Assets:

Is a tremendous playmaker with the versatility to play both center and wing. His instincts on the ice are first-rate. Also knows how to put the puck in the net.

Flaws:

Must get physically stronger in order to maximize his scoring potential in the National Hockey League. Also, he must continue to work on his play without the puck.

Career Potential:

Talented playmaker with good upside.

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.php?9020

Drew a Penalty
12-28-2013, 11:31 PM

It's Khokhlachev that you're talking about. I'd take him, I wanted him in his draft year. Really I'm not sure how I'd feel about adding Morrow who's another LD. I guess we can find room for him despite the stockpile that includes Allen and Skjei.

Drew a Penalty
12-28-2013, 11:33 PM
Gotta be Khokhlachev. His scouting report reads of high-end skill.

Assets:

Is a tremendous playmaker with the versatility to play both center and wing. His instincts on the ice are first-rate. Also knows how to put the puck in the net.

Flaws:

Must get physically stronger in order to maximize his scoring potential in the National Hockey League. Also, he must continue to work on his play without the puck.

Career Potential:

Talented playmaker with good upside.

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.php?9020

He's good. I liked him when he was in Windsor. There was talk of him potentially being picked in the first round, but he dropped back. Definitely had the talent to be picked in the first. I believe size was a concern.

Drew a Penalty
12-28-2013, 11:35 PM
I'd check in with Anaheim to see what they can offer. They're mentioned in the OP. It would probably be impossible for a rental, but something like Kerdiles and Théodore as a return would be fantastic. I would even add to Girardi.

Puck Head
12-28-2013, 11:36 PM
Ok, I got this all figured out.

Del Zotto for Gardiner (RD)
Girardi for Morrow (LD) and Khokhlachev (C)
Callahan for Fowler
Staal for Skinner

Out
Girardi
Callahan
Staal
Del Zotto

In
Skinner
Fowler
Gardiner
Morrow
Khokhlachev

Probably save 10 million of cap space in the process

Pete
12-28-2013, 11:38 PM
We have a wild rides thread...

Drew a Penalty
12-28-2013, 11:39 PM

That's like saying Beetlejuice.

Phil in Absentia
12-28-2013, 11:40 PM
PuckHead's Wild Rides...

Yes. Yes. No. No.

In that order.

Why is Anaheim trading for Callahan to begin with? They're close to the cap and already have his superior in Perry, as well as a slew of depth at RW. Silfverberg, Noesen, Etem, Smith-Pelley.

I'd rather trade Staal to Edmonton, who could give up a better player in David Perron.

Puck Head
12-28-2013, 11:40 PM

Is there a way to unrep you?
Stop raining on my dream.....I'm in my happy place.

Just traded Rick Nash for Budish also

Puck Head
12-28-2013, 11:41 PM
PuckHead's Wild Rides...

Yes. Yes. No. No.

In that order.

Why is Anaheim trading for Callahan to begin with? They're close to the cap and already have his superior in Perry, as well as a slew of depth at RW. Silfverberg, Noesen, Etem, Smith-Pelley.

I'd rather trade Staal to Edmonton, who could give up a better player in David Perron.

Ok, you are getting unrepped also.

Drew a Penalty
12-28-2013, 11:42 PM
I would still much rather trade Girardi to Anaheim for Théodore. Then send Del Zotto out for a defensive RD. Théodore can be what Del Zotto has failed to be.

Pete
12-28-2013, 11:42 PM
Is there a way to unrep you?
Stop raining on my dream.....I'm in my happy place.

Just traded Rick Nash for Budish also

Ok, you are getting unrepped also.

:rofl:

Phil in Absentia
12-28-2013, 11:43 PM
P.S. I can already see the headline in Tennessee now...

Nash-ville!

Puck Head
12-28-2013, 11:44 PM
Next FB friend to make sense of my trade rumors gets spammed with Candy Crush invites...

Just saying

Phil in Absentia
12-28-2013, 11:46 PM
Good thing I blocked that thing a while ago! :rofl:

Cash or Czech?
12-29-2013, 01:05 AM

He's a player you love on your own team and hate when you play against him. See: Avery, Sean. I'd welcome him because he's a good hockey player and he'd make us a better team. Is he a good character guy? No.

Mike
12-29-2013, 07:38 AM
He's a player you love on your own team and hate when you play against him. See: Avery, Sean. I'd welcome him because he's a good hockey player and he'd make us a better team. Is he a good character guy? No.

He's a douche, and he's dirty.

Jules
12-29-2013, 08:08 AM
He's ruffled feathers more than a few times this year as well. They were quite upset with him over the ring-kissing motion, as well as the Cup-lifting one in the Vancouver game earlier this month.

I though that was absolutely hilarious when it happened. Canucks were trash talking about in a meaningless game.

masinger
12-29-2013, 08:10 AM
I agree. I think we will not get that much for him. Dont get me wrong I love Girardi. I will say this though I think we need draft picks.

josh
12-29-2013, 09:13 AM
Marchand and a pick for Girardi? Yes please.

BlueJay
12-29-2013, 10:01 AM

This, don't want that asshole here.

Respecttheblue
12-29-2013, 10:03 AM

Right. He's part of their Stanley Cup Special Sauce solution, not part of their problem.
Unless they think he's not going to be as effective anymore, in which case we don't want him anyway.

As for Morrow, why is this kid first in first out—something we don't know?

The bad news for Joe Morrow is that he was traded twice in less than five months. The good news? He wasn’t exactly dealt for stiffs.

Morrow, the 23rd overall pick in the 2011 draft, was part of a package sent from Pittsburgh to Dallas for Brenden Morrow last February. Then he was part of the megadeal that brought him to the Bruins with Loui Eriksson, Reilly Smith and Matt Fraser for Tyler Seguin and Rich Peverley.
http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruins_nhl/boston_bruins/2013/09/well_traveled_joe_morrow_settling_in

That said, Girardi is a good fit and Morrow and a #1 pick would be a fair return IMO. Girardi is a player who helps them defensively for years.

But one big problem...just the act of trading Girardi for picks and prospects sends the message to the team and to paying fans that they are conceding the year and conceding the playoffs. I really don't see MSG doing that at this point. They'd be in shit street defensively, as we have no more true depth in Hartford with the knee injury to McIlrath. Rock is meeting hard place. How do we fill that defensive hole and still be prepared for any other injuries to the D corps? And all that assumes Conor Allen is staying up for keeps.

McD - MDZ
?? - Moore
Falk - Allen / Morrow?

Too many rookies, not enough regulars
Staal - one more concussion and ? ? Status: returns maybe, but can he survive the recurring injuries
Stralman - we don't know how bad this injury is.

Myusername
12-29-2013, 10:10 AM
Guys are nuts. No way we're getting Marchand or Lucic. I have a feeling he'll be had for cheap by Boston as the Rangers probably have no plans to sign him. Thinking a defensive prospect and a 2nd or 3rd round pick

Slobberknocker
12-29-2013, 10:30 AM
marchand is the same as when the yanks had clemmons. yeah he's an asshole but hes our asshole.

boston is notoriously stingy when making trades, paying guys though aren't they?

Pete
12-29-2013, 11:35 AM
Guys are nuts. No way we're getting Marchand or Lucic. I have a feeling he'll be had for cheap by Boston as the Rangers probably have no plans to sign him. Thinking a defensive prospect and a 2nd or 3rd round pick

Please don't refer to other users as "nuts". Find a better way to disagree.

While Lucic may be unrealistic, Marchand certainly is not.

fletch
12-29-2013, 11:47 AM
I would love to get two of their top prospects or one and a first rounder. Would love to make a deal like this.

This

Ok, I got this all figured out.

Del Zotto for Gardiner (RD)
Girardi for Morrow (LD) and Khokhlachev (C)
Callahan for Fowler
Staal for Skinner

Out
Girardi
Callahan
Staal
Del Zotto

In
Skinner
Fowler
Gardiner
Morrow
Khokhlachev

Probably save 10 million of cap space in the process

Not this

Boston is a good trading partner to get prospects to make our team better in the future. Sather would have to give up on this year, which he won't do, but getting prospects is how we would build a cup contender.

Trading Del Zotto defeats the purpose of building for the future, unless you are ready to give up on a 23 year old defensemen with more experience than the untested prospects you're gunning for.

Myusername
12-29-2013, 12:31 PM

Sorry, but damn, are we really that sensitive here now?

And disagree about Marchand. Guy is 25 years old, one of the best agitators in the league, had 91 points in 121 games his last two seasons before this one and is a pretty good playoff performer. He'll probably be our second or third biggest threat if we here to come here. Doubt they trade that for a pending UFA and soon to be 30-year old year old defenseman that's taken a beating throughout his career. And struggling this season to boot. At the least we'd have to throw in a good pick or one of our better prospects.

Pete
12-29-2013, 12:41 PM
Sorry, but damn, are we really that sensitive here now?

And disagree about Marchand. Guy is 25 years old, one of the best agitators in the league, had 91 points in 121 games his last two seasons before this one and is a pretty good playoff performer. He'll probably be our second or third biggest threat if we here to come here. Doubt they trade that for a pending UFA and soon to be 30-year old year old defenseman that's taken a beating throughout his career. And struggling this season to boot. At the least we'd have to throw in a good pick or one of our better prospects.

That's been a rule for some time.

You're talking about a team that traded Tyler Seguin. Marchand is having some friction there. He was recently on their 4th line. Bruins seem a bit "over" his "antics".

ZebraDude
12-29-2013, 12:46 PM
If we trade Girardi, we'd need to get a Dman back....unless we plan on keeping MDZ. So unless Slats is working on a 3-way, I don't see us trading Girardi at this time. Stralman injured, McIlrath injured, MDZ on the block.....we can't trade a dman like G without getting one back in return, one who can play NHL minutes. Unless of course we are going into tank mode.

Cash or Czech?
12-29-2013, 12:53 PM

There's no shot we get him in this deal IMO, but he's a better scorer than 3/4ths of our team. He makes us better, and that's what I want. We've had bigger douches on the team and it was fine.

Pete
12-29-2013, 01:08 PM
There's no shot we get him in this deal IMO, but he's a better scorer than 3/4ths of our team. He makes us better, and that's what I want. We've had bigger douches on the team and it was fine.Why "no shot"?

Puck Head
12-29-2013, 01:20 PM

Marchand has been playing very well as of late.
The coach has recently talked about how well he has been playing.
The GM just stated that he is NOT trading Marchand, (in regards to the internet rumors started after Vancouver).

Fact is he's the perfect Boston type player, and exactly what they need in the playoffs.
It would take a lot PLUS Girardi to pry him away.

The Dude
12-29-2013, 01:27 PM
Trade Girardi for prospects and picks...

Can NOT trade Boyle for picks or prospects?

??????????

I think many are reaching a bit high. I see Iginla coming back with a prospect. Move for now and the future. Name coming back with the illusion of still trying.

Puck Head
12-29-2013, 02:26 PM

??????????

I think many are reaching a bit high. I see Iginla coming back with a prospect. Move for now and the future. Name coming back with the illusion of still trying.

Iginla???????????
Why in the world would we want that???

Yes Girardi, he could actually fetch us something

fletch
12-29-2013, 02:28 PM

??????????

Much bigger return for Girardi than Boyle.

The Dude
12-29-2013, 02:49 PM
Iginla???????????
Why in the world would we want that???

Yes Girardi, he could actually fetch us something
Big name. Big body. Can score. Yeah why would this team want or need that.

You wouldn't take Iggy and Morrow for Girardi??

That IMO is more along the lines of what they WOULD do. Personally I like such a move.

The Dude
12-29-2013, 02:54 PM
Much bigger return for Girardi than Boyle.
The complaint was upgrading the current roster when Boyle's name came up. Why is that the case for our fourth liner winger (not center mind you), but not for our top pairing Dman?

Shit, I wonder if Boston would take Boyle in a package with Girardi.

Drew a Penalty
12-29-2013, 03:07 PM
Big name. Big body. Can score. Yeah why would this team want or need that.

You wouldn't take Iggy and Morrow for Girardi??

That IMO is more along the lines of what they WOULD do. Personally I like such a move.

We don't need Iginla. He'd be a useless acquisition. We aren't going to compete this season if we're going to end up dealing Girardi. Why would we need an old rental?

Puck Head
12-29-2013, 03:08 PM
We don't need Iginla. He'd be a useless acquisition. We aren't going to compete this season if we're going to end up dealing Girardi. Why would we need an old rental?

This.
Does nothing to fix our problems, only puts a band aide on it.

Pete
12-29-2013, 03:11 PM
Marchand has been playing very well as of late.
The coach has recently talked about how well he has been playing.
The GM just stated that he is NOT trading Marchand, (in regards to the internet rumors started after Vancouver).

Fact is he's the perfect Boston type player, and exactly what they need in the playoffs.
It would take a lot PLUS Girardi to pry him away.

Coached often talk up players to increase value, and GMs often lie.

Puck Head
12-29-2013, 03:19 PM
Neither that coach, nor that GM are the type to fluff up a player to increase his value.
The GM emphatically just stated he is not trading him.

He would look like a fool and ruin his reputation if he did that now.

Once again, he had a slow start, the taunting in Vancouver, and the only people that talked about trade were internet rumormill types that had no clue.
He could easily be traded, but the same thing could be said of Mcdonagh.

The Dude
12-29-2013, 03:23 PM

Ima confused with the boards here. Can't deal Boyle because we have to compete still. Buuuut we are not competing for a cup because we are dealing Girardi, who mostly everyone has wanted gone since last season +..

Adding a guy that walks onto the team and becomes their leading goal scorer, who adds size and scoring ability and only makes 1.8 mill isn't wanted????? You're getting a young Dman in Morrow, who most are saying OK to, and a player that may spark Nash...

What else are you honestly expecting for Dan friggen Girardi?

You KNOW Sather isn't going to give up on the season. I think such a move makes sense for what the Ranger ARE going to do.

Maybe they pry away the struggling Louie Ericksson with a guy like Morrow? Does that make more sense to you?

The Dude
12-29-2013, 03:24 PM
This.
Does nothing to fix our problems, only puts a band aide on it.

Team needs top six talent. Preferably with size.

How does this not help THIS team?

Puck Head
12-29-2013, 03:25 PM
If they Rangers trade Girardi, they will NOT be wanting another UFA player who is even older back.
They can trade for younger players, and still not be "tanking"

Drew a Penalty
12-29-2013, 03:38 PM
Ima confused with the boards here. Can't deal Boyle because we have to compete still. Buuuut we are not competing for a cup because we are dealing Girardi, who mostly everyone has wanted gone since last season +..

Adding a guy that walks onto the team and becomes their leading goal scorer, who adds size and scoring ability and only makes 1.8 mill isn't wanted????? You're getting a young Dman in Morrow, who most are saying OK to, and a player that may spark Nash...

You KNOW Sather isn't going to give up on the season. I think such a move makes sense for what the Ranger ARE going to do.

Maybe they pry away the struggling Louie Ericksson with a guy like Morrow? Does that make more sense to you?

I don't know why you keep referencing Boyle. Opinions from one person to another differ on this board. I'd appreciate that you not generalize everyone. I'm in favor of trading both and trying to maximize on picks and prospects for this year.

Why do we need an aging player to come in and be our leading scorer when we have nothing to give. Dealing Girardi, despite how bad he's been, means we're effectively giving up on the season unless we're getting a legitimate NHL defender back. Chances are we won't. Adding Iginla does nothing to help us. In fact it might only hurt us more.

Also what incentive does Boston have to deal him? He's a good player on a bargain contract. A veteran. They have no reason to deal him when they're making a push for the cup. The Bruins likely won't be dealing any prominent roster players for a rental. Some have brought up Marchand, but that's unlikely unless the Bruins truly feel his attitude and play is a problem.

Loui Eriksson? I'm not sure if you're being serious or not. Would the Bruins really trade us a former 70 point winger on a bargain contract whom they recently acquired for a rental? No, that doesn't make more sense to me. In fact it makes less.

Pete
12-29-2013, 03:41 PM
Neither that coach, nor that GM are the type to fluff up a player to increase his value.
The GM emphatically just stated he is not trading him.

He would look like a fool and ruin his reputation if he did that now.

Once again, he had a slow start, the taunting in Vancouver, and the only people that talked about trade were internet rumormill types that had no clue.
He could easily be traded, but the same thing could be said of Mcdonagh.

Comparing the trade availability of Marchand and McD? Come on. You know better.

They almost traded Marchand this summer. They moved Seguin instead. Marchand is NOT an untouchable player.

If there are links or quotes, please post them for context. There's a big difference between saying you aren't actively shopping a player and saying he's 100% off the market.

"Are you shopping Marchand?"
"No."
--
"Would you ever trade Marchand?"
"No."

Two very different conversations.

Pete
12-29-2013, 03:45 PM

Your mashing up opinions from 6 different people, calling it "the boards" and pitting yourself against it. Of course you're confused.

Don't think anyone has an issue moving many of the players. Conversation is, if you're moving Boyle and DZ and keeping/re-signing Callahan and G, you're treading water.

Want to trade guys? Let's trade some guys who we can get a boatload for and improve the team. These minor trades like Rupp for Powe do nothing.

ZebraDude
12-29-2013, 03:48 PM
Much ado about a rumor started by Glen Healy. lol. So has Boston called Sather yet?

Lt. Dan
12-29-2013, 03:52 PM
Much ado about a rumor started by Glen Healy. lol. So has Boston called Sather yet?

Who knows, it's all fluff IMO. This team is linked to a dozen trades all the time.

The Dude
12-29-2013, 03:55 PM
If they Rangers trade Girardi, they will NOT be wanting another UFA player who is even older back.
They can trade for younger players, and still not be "tanking"
I said Morrow AND Iginla. Not just Iginla.

Pete
12-29-2013, 03:57 PM
Who knows, it's all fluff IMO. This team is linked to a dozen trades all the time.

When the Rangers are mentioned in a rumor, you'd expect it to be discussed here. It's kind of what we do. ;)

ZebraDude
12-29-2013, 04:15 PM

Yep. We don't even know if this is just Healy thinking out loud, or based in some sort of reality.

Puck Head
12-29-2013, 04:19 PM
Comparing the trade availability of Marchand and McD? Come on. You know better.

They almost traded Marchand this summer. They moved Seguin instead. Marchand is NOT an untouchable player.

If there are links or quotes, please post them for context. There's a big difference between saying you aren't actively shopping a player and saying he's 100% off the market.

"Are you shopping Marchand?"
"No."
--
"Would you ever trade Marchand?"
"No."

Two very different conversations.

Did you read the quotes this last week??

"Let me be clear on Marchy...I'm not trading Marchy," Chiarelli said via the Bruins Twitter page. "He's a good player, I like the way he plays."

The unwanted attention started with Marchand's Stanley Cup taunts directed towards the Vancouver Canucks last Saturday, which didn't go over well with the players and their fans.

http://www.masslive.com/bruins/index.ssf/2013/12/boston_bruins_general_manager_peter_chiarelli_says _he_is_not_trading_brad_marchand.html

The Dude
12-29-2013, 04:22 PM
I don't know why you keep referencing Boyle. Opinions from one person to another differ on this board. I'd appreciate that you not generalize everyone. I'm in favor of trading both and trying to maximize on picks and prospects for this year.

Why do we need an aging player to come in and be our leading scorer when we have nothing to give. Dealing Girardi, despite how bad he's been, means we're effectively giving up on the season unless we're getting a legitimate NHL defender back. Chances are we won't. Adding Iginla does nothing to help us. In fact it might only hurt us more.

Also what incentive does Boston have to deal him? He's a good player on a bargain contract. A veteran. They have no reason to deal him when they're making a push for the cup. The Bruins likely won't be dealing any prominent roster players for a rental. Some have brought up Marchand, but that's unlikely unless the Bruins truly feel his attitude and play is a problem.

Loui Eriksson? I'm not sure if you're being serious or not. Would the Bruins really trade us a former 70 point winger on a bargain contract whom they recently acquired for a rental? No, that doesn't make more sense to me. In fact it makes less.

Im sorry to gerealize. Dont get how thats being disrespectful, by obviously talking about a select large group who disagreed. But I am sorry. I'll name everyone specifically next time.

Again. Are you guys missing that said Iginla AND Morrow? SOME certain people who I can't name off the top of my head would take Morrow and a late 1st rounder which essentially is a 2nd rounder, yet not Morrow and Iginla?

The defense has been so bad that putting anyone back there would pretty much keep things the same back there. Why not add an offensive weapon to see if the offensive system AV wants can flourish and maybe squeak into the play offs. Again you're getting Morrow too. You're getting s player and a prospect.

Why would they trade Iginla? To get Girardi... He's a rental to them too. Rental for rental. Maybe he is a bigger part than I think. I certainly didn't think he had 12 goals on the season after a pretty slow start. He may not be available. Just a suggestion. I mean people are asking for Lucic. I can't ask for Iginla?

As for Eriksson.. I think he has 2 or 4 goals on the season. That may be a reason why he would be available. Kinda looking like he's not that great of a fit. He was injured of course, and maybe that's affecting him getting going. Obviously it would take more than just Girardi to get him. How about Brassard, Girardi, Boyle, for Eriksson, Morrow and another good prospect?

Pete
12-29-2013, 04:22 PM
Did you read the quotes this last week??

http://www.masslive.com/bruins/index.ssf/2013/12/boston_bruins_general_manager_peter_chiarelli_says _he_is_not_trading_brad_marchand.html

Obviously I didn't lol.

And that was before Siedenberg went down for the year.

Gotta give to get.

Puck Head
12-29-2013, 04:23 PM
Chiarelli was pretty profound about Marchand this last week.
Not "I'm not interested in trading him now"..

But.. "I"M NOT GOING TO TRADE HIM"

Puck Head
12-29-2013, 04:24 PM
Im sorry to gerealize. Dont get how thats being disrespectful, by obviously talking about a select large group who disagreed. But I am sorry. I'll name everyone specifically next time.

Again. Are you guys missing that said Iginla AND Morrow? SOME certain people who I can't name off the top of my head would take Morrow and a late 1st rounder which essentially is a 2nd rounder, yet not Morrow and Iginla?

The defense has been so bad that putting anyone back there would pretty much keep things the same back there. Why not add an offensive weapon to see if the offensive system AV wants can flourish and maybe squeak into the play offs. Again you're getting Morrow too. You're getting s player and a prospect.

Why would they trade Iginla? To get Girardi... He's a rental to them too. Rental for rental. Maybe he is a bigger part than I think. I certainly didn't think he had 12 goals on the season after a pretty slow start. He may not be available. Just a suggestion. I mean people are asking for Lucic. I can't ask for Iginla?

As for Eriksson.. I think he has 2 or 4 goals on the season. That may be a reason why he would be available. Kinda looking like he's not that great of a fit. He was injured of course, and maybe that's affecting him getting going. Obviously it would take more than just Girardi to get him. How about Brassard, Girardi, Boyle, for Eriksson, Morrow and another good prospect?

1st round pick is worth more then UFA Iginla to this team.
Had this been 2 years ago, and we were "close"..then maybe.
Inginla does nothing for us.

Pete
12-29-2013, 04:26 PM
Chiarelli was pretty profound about Marchand this last week.
Not "I'm not interested in trading him now"..

But.. "I"M NOT GOING TO TRADE HIM"

Right...before Seidenberg was lost for a year. You think you're getting a 25 minute defenseman for nothing?

Vodka Drunkenski
12-29-2013, 04:27 PM
Im sorry to gerealize. Dont get how thats being disrespectful, by obviously talking about a select large group who disagreed. But I am sorry. I'll name everyone specifically next time. Again. Are you guys missing that said Iginla AND Morrow? SOME certain people who I can't name off the top of my head would take Morrow and a late 1st rounder which essentially is a 2nd rounder, yet not Morrow and Iginla? The defense has been so bad that putting anyone back there would pretty much keep things the same back there. Why not add an offensive weapon to see if the offensive system AV wants can flourish and maybe squeak into the play offs. Again you're getting Morrow too. You're getting s player and a prospect. Why would they trade Iginla? To get Girardi... He's a rental to them too. Rental for rental. Maybe he is a bigger part than I think. I certainly didn't think he had 12 goals on the season after a pretty slow start. He may not be available. Just a suggestion. I mean people are asking for Lucic. I can't ask for Iginla? As for Eriksson.. I think he has 2 or 4 goals on the season. That may be a reason why he would be available. Kinda looking like he's not that great of a fit. He was injured of course, and maybe that's affecting him getting going. Obviously it would take more than just Girardi to get him. How about Brassard, Girardi, Boyle, for Eriksson, Morrow and another good prospect?

You're confusing people giving opinion as Boyle not fetching much of a return as meaning they do not wanting to trade him. It's not the same,

The Dude
12-29-2013, 04:33 PM
Your mashing up opinions from 6 different people, calling it "the boards" and pitting yourself against it. Of course you're confused.

Don't think anyone has an issue moving many of the players. Conversation is, if you're moving Boyle and DZ and keeping/re-signing Callahan and G, you're treading water.

Want to trade guys? Let's trade some guys who we can get a boatload for and improve the team. These minor trades like Rupp for Powe do nothing.
That's NOT what the Boyle conversation was at all actually. I said everyone must go. Not just Boyle.

Your opinion that minor trades do nothing. I disagree. Getting any kind of value for an up coming free agent that shouldn't be resigned is a must do. Its also a must do for Girardi and Callahan. I've said it numerous times.

Trade anyone you can/should. 2nd and 3rd rounders can have value. I agree that lateral moves aren't going to help. I never suggested such a move in either thread.

The Dude
12-29-2013, 04:35 PM
1st round pick is worth more then UFA Iginla to this team.
Had this been 2 years ago, and we were "close"..then maybe.
Inginla does nothing for us.
OK. I can see that.

Drew a Penalty
12-29-2013, 04:36 PM

The problem is that you're assuming everyone here thinks alike. By saying "the board" you're ostracizing yourself and effectively saying your opinion is entirely different from everyone else. That isn't true. That's not the board, that's a select group of members. I still think referencing the Boyle thread was unnecessary anyway.

No, I'm not missing Morrow AND Iginla. I don't need to see the capitalized "AND" repeatedly. Sorry, but that doesn't make me salivate any more. Iginla isn't a necessary addition, Morrow is someone we can use. I'd much rather get Morrow + Khokhlachev/Fitzgerald/Pick(As Puck Head suggested) than add Iginla).

Apparently to you squeaking into the playoffs is a good thing. It's not. What good do we get from squeaking into the playoffs only to be easily dispatched in the first round? This season is lost if we're a first round elimination. There are two positive outcomes that can come from this season: A top 10 pick or Cup win/near Cup win. The thing is we aren't good enough for a Stanley Cup and I don't see that as changing.

As bad as the defense has been, subtracting Girardi will still create a big hole. The addition of Iginla isn't going to provide us with nearly enough offense to jump start this team. He's 36. He isn't going to come in an be our savior. We don't need Iginla to try and salvage this season. Adding Iginla to let us squeak into the playoffs is just sprinkling glitter on a pile of shit. It doesn't do anything for us.

I understand we're getting Morrow too, but who gives a shit. We've gotten one player that can actually help us and another that might just help our shitty season from being less shitty. We don't need to make our season less shitty. Either we have a good season or have a bad season. There's no room for compromise. Squeaking into the playoffs isn't good enough.

Iginla can stay in Boston. They really have no need to trade him. He's working out there and has a better chance of helping the Bruins than he does us. Eriksson has struggled in Boston, but it's because he's on a new team and has suffered two injuries this season because of dirty plays. You can't really fault him. He also has a game that exists beyond goal scoring. He's a fantastic two-way player.

Pete
12-29-2013, 04:42 PM
That's NOT what the Boyle conversation was at all actually. I said everyone must go. Not just Boyle.

Your opinion that minor trades do nothing. I disagree. Getting any kind of value for an up coming free agent that shouldn't be resigned is a must do. Its also a must do for Girardi and Callahan. I've said it numerous times.

Trade anyone you can/should. 2nd and 3rd rounders can have value. I agree that lateral moves aren't going to help. I never suggested such a move in either thread.I said minor moves without major ones do nothing.

Trading Boyle and keeping Callahan and G is not going to make a dent in what's wrong with this team.

The Dude
12-29-2013, 04:43 PM
You're confusing people giving opinion as Boyle not fetching much of a return as meaning they do not wanting to trade him. It's not the same,

Maybe.

Sure seemed like SOME people were saying you can't trade a guy that is doing his job. And that he isn't a part of the problem so he simply can't be dealt. Add in that draft picks won't help this team NOW, was also a big position.

That last one is why I'm bringing up the thread. Picks are picks. The more the merrier.

Puck Head
12-29-2013, 04:49 PM
Right...before Seidenberg was lost for a year. You think you're getting a 25 minute defenseman for nothing?

They have plenty of top prospects, almost too many at center and defense

They have a stud prospect in morrow they could bring up

But they want a vet for playoffs

They are NOT going to weaken by getting rid if Marchand

Overall would be a step backwards

They would be better off keeping Marchand and bringing up morrow

The Dude
12-29-2013, 04:51 PM
The problem is that you're assuming everyone here thinks alike. By saying "the board" you're ostracizing yourself and effectively saying your opinion is entirely different from everyone else. That isn't true. That's not the board, that's a select group of members. I still think referencing the Boyle thread was unnecessary anyway.

No, I'm not missing Morrow AND Iginla. I don't need to see the capitalized "AND" repeatedly. Sorry, but that doesn't make me salivate any more. Iginla isn't a necessary addition, Morrow is someone we can use. I'd much rather get Morrow + Khokhlachev/Fitzgerald/Pick(As Puck Head suggested) than add Iginla).

Apparently to you squeaking into the playoffs is a good thing. It's not. What good do we get from squeaking into the playoffs only to be easily dispatched in the first round? This season is lost if we're a first round elimination. There are two positive outcomes that can come from this season: A top 10 pick or Cup win/near Cup win. The thing is we aren't good enough for a Stanley Cup and I don't see that as changing.

As bad as the defense has been, subtracting Girardi will still create a big hole. The addition of Iginla isn't going to provide us with nearly enough offense to jump start this team. He's 36. He isn't going to come in an be our savior. We don't need Iginla to try and salvage this season. Adding Iginla to let us squeak into the playoffs is just sprinkling glitter on a pile of shit. It doesn't do anything for us.

I understand we're getting Morrow too, but who gives a shit. We've gotten one player that can actually help us and another that might just help our shitty season from being less shitty. We don't need to make our season less shitty. Either we have a good season or have a bad season. There's no room for compromise. Squeaking into the playoffs isn't good enough.

Iginla can stay in Boston. They really have no need to trade him. He's working out there and has a better chance of helping the Bruins than he does us. Eriksson has struggled in Boston, but it's because he's on a new team and has suffered two injuries this season because of dirty plays. You can't really fault him. He also has a game that exists beyond goal scoring. He's a fantastic two-way player.
Big point you missed is that Sather will not give up on the season.

So I'm sorry that my proposal of what the mindset of management is likely looking to do annoyed you.

I agree that dealing everyone for picks and prospects is the way to go. Too bad management likely sees things differently.

The Dude
12-29-2013, 04:53 PM
I said minor moves without major ones do nothing.

Trading Boyle and keeping Callahan and G is not going to make a dent in what's wrong with this team.

Yup. K.

Pete
12-29-2013, 04:57 PM

So I'm sorry that my proposal of what the mindset of management is likely looking to do annoyed you.

I agree that dealing everyone for picks and prospects is the way to go. Too bad management likely sees things differently.
And management has done a wonderful job putting together a mediocre team.

Pete
12-29-2013, 04:58 PM
They have plenty of top prospects, almost too many at center and defense

They have a stud prospect in morrow they could bring up

But they want a vet for playoffs

They are NOT going to weaken by getting rid if Marchand

Overall would be a step backwards

They would be better off keeping Marchand and bringing up morrow
Probably. Just saying, a quote from a week ago when parameters were different...things change.

Drew a Penalty
12-29-2013, 04:59 PM

The big point you've missed is that by effectively dealing Girardi you are giving up on the season. If we start selling Boyle, Girardi, Callahan, etc. it means we've given up.

I think Sather would even think not to acquire Iginla. You don't go for a rental if you aren't competing.

Kevin
12-29-2013, 05:39 PM
The big point you've missed is that by effectively dealing Girardi you are giving up on the season. If we start selling Boyle, Girardi, Callahan, etc. it means we've given up.

I think Sather would even think not to acquire Iginla. You don't go for a rental if you aren't competing.

I also think that it would be poor management form for Boston to trade Iginla after they just signed him this year. Doing that to real respected veterans mid-season would cause some serious hesitation for that type of player in the future signing with the team. While I really like Iginla as a player, this is not the type of guy I want on our team at this point. I would much rather take a 1rst round pick along with a stud prospect.

ThirtyONE
12-29-2013, 06:14 PM
I would hate to see Girardi go to the bruins.

phillyb™
12-30-2013, 05:54 PM
I would hate to see Girardi go to the bruins.

depends on who they get back.
i know marchand's been mentioned in this thread and i'm sure that'd piss off a lot of people, but i like him and he scores.
it's too bad seidenburg's injured.
iginla - hmmmm...interesting but a good fit in ny? idk
i'd take boychuck, but we don't really need him.
no way in hell they'd trade chara.
krug would be fun, but he's young.

soooo...will girardi go to boston?

Drew a Penalty
12-30-2013, 05:57 PM
depends on who they get back.
i know marchand's been mentioned in this thread and i'm sure that'd piss off a lot of people, but i like him and he scores.
it's too bad seidenburg's injured.
iginla - hmmmm...interesting but a good fit in ny? idk
i'd take boychuck, but we don't really need him.
no way in hell they'd trade chara.
krug would be fun, but he's young.

soooo...will girardi go to boston?

Boston wouldn't trade us a roster defenseman. The whole point in acquiring Girardi would be to replace Seidenberg. The last thing they'll do is trade us one of their defensemen.

phillyb™
12-30-2013, 06:00 PM
agreed.
and i think our idea is that if we trade girardi, we'd need a replacement.
so i doubt g will be in boston

Drew a Penalty
12-30-2013, 06:05 PM
Not necessarily. I don't think we actually need a direct replacement. When dealing a rental you typically aren't getting a replacement. Maybe we get someone who could eventually be a replacement in a young defenseman or pick, but you don't deal for a rental by dealing someone on par. Picks and prospects would suffice. McIlrath is and RHD that can step on the team next season and Allen can play the right side. A lateral move really does us no good.

Phil in Absentia
12-30-2013, 06:19 PM
You just need to replace his minutes, eventually. Perhaps that comes from within by increasing the minutes of other players like Strålman, Del Zotto and Moore. Maybe Allen makes the team full-time as well to allow us to play the third pairing more.

ZebraDude
12-30-2013, 06:34 PM
McIlrath's balky knee gives me pause to count him in on any long term planning.

Drew a Penalty
12-30-2013, 06:41 PM
You just need to replace his minutes, eventually. Perhaps that comes from within by increasing the minutes of other players like Strålman, Del Zotto and Moore. Maybe Allen makes the team full-time as well to allow us to play the third pairing more.

Yep. I wouldn' be worried about getting a defenseman that would be readily available. Just as long as we can have one for next season.

Phil in Absentia
12-30-2013, 06:44 PM
Free agency isn't as bad on the defensive front either. Not nearly as weak as the forwards.

There are a small handful of UFA-to-be players there who could give you serviceable minutes.

Drew a Penalty
12-30-2013, 06:49 PM
True. Plenty of veterans too. Chances are we're going to progress with a young group and will need someone to help guide the group.

Blue Heaven
12-30-2013, 09:16 PM
I dont know if this was mentioned during the thread (really dont want to read through 12 pages). I just watched Hockey Hotstove from Saturday night and Elliotte Friedman said that he thinks Anaheim might be a player for Girardi.

Lets start a bidding war with Boston

Phil in Absentia
12-30-2013, 09:20 PM
I believe Anaheim was mentioned as well, yup.

Drew a Penalty
12-30-2013, 09:22 PM
I'll stick with my wanting Kerdiles and Théodore. It's asking for a lot, but getting both of them for Girardi would be fantastic.

Pete
12-30-2013, 10:17 PM
I believe Anaheim was mentioned as well, yup.

We can still get Fowler!

Lt. Dan
12-30-2013, 11:40 PM
We can still get Fowler!

Puck head would do cartwheels in his living room.

Puck Head
12-31-2013, 12:11 PM
Bitches be teasin

ZebraDude
12-31-2013, 12:23 PM
Has Boston called Sather yet?

josh
12-31-2013, 12:46 PM
Nah. Boston will get outbid.

phillyb™
12-31-2013, 12:48 PM
According to a source, the Bruins have reportedly kicked the tires on the New York Rangers’ defensemen and alternate captain, Dan Girardi. A pending unrestricted free agent, and with the Rangers in their own version of cap-hell given their prior commitments and future ones in need of being addressed (to Derek Stepan and Ryan Callahan, most notably), Girardi is a player that could be sold in order for the Rangers to maximize their return in the now. But for the Blueshirts to be in any sort of sell-mode is crazy talk. In New York, it’s all about winning, and selling a piece like Girardi off sends a bad message, and that’s not even delving into his potential cost.

link - http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ty-Anderson/Finding-Seidenbergs-replacement/141/56796

Cash or Czech?
12-31-2013, 01:11 PM
Not sure how we'd replace Girardi's minutes if we trade him. We'd have to get a defenseman back for starters, and one that can play 20 minutes a night in the NHL. If not, it forces us to ice Del Zotto and drops our defense to mediocre-to-bad. I don't think it's a good idea unless we get a substantial return, and there's no way we give up on the season being close to a playoff spot.

Johnnydollaz18
12-31-2013, 01:35 PM
link - http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ty-Anderson/Finding-Seidenbergs-replacement/141/56796

Are we taking Eklund's site as a credible source now?

Puck Head
12-31-2013, 01:51 PM
Not sure how we'd replace Girardi's minutes if we trade him. We'd have to get a defenseman back for starters, and one that can play 20 minutes a night in the NHL. If not, it forces us to ice Del Zotto and drops our defense to mediocre-to-bad. I don't think it's a good idea unless we get a substantial return, and there's no way we give up on the season being close to a playoff spot. Then we keep treading water as a mediocre team.
If this is the thinking, then we need to resign Girardi and Callahan and be content with being a border line team now, and only getting worse in future

Cash or Czech?
12-31-2013, 01:54 PM
Then we keep treading water as a mediocre team.
If this is the thinking, then we need to resign Girardi and Callahan and be content with being a border line team now, and only getting worse in future

Girardi isn't the problem with this team. He's actually been playing well in recent games and seems to finally be adjusting. Callahan also can't be considered a problem because he hasn't played enough to warrant that notion on him. The problems with this team are Lundqvist, the bottom-2 D not playing well enough when they are on the ice and the top scorers not producing. Fix those problems and we have one of the three playoff spots in the Metro division. Trading Girardi creates problems, it doesn't solve them.

phillyb™
12-31-2013, 02:01 PM
Are we taking Eklund's site as a credible source now?

idk who that is, but i take you do.
i just read the most recent articles on dan girardi.
thanks for the input though. idk what a credible source is and what isn't. lol

Puck Head
12-31-2013, 02:11 PM
Girardi isn't the problem with this team. He's actually been playing well in recent games and seems to finally be adjusting. Callahan also can't be considered a problem because he hasn't played enough to warrant that notion on him. The problems with this team are Lundqvist, the bottom-2 D not playing well enough when they are on the ice and the top scorers not producing. Fix those problems and we have one of the three playoff spots in the Metro division. Trading Girardi creates problems, it doesn't solve them.

Once again, then you say we keep Callahan and Girardi?
And if so, we are a mediocre team in cap hell

And 1/2 our salary tied up in 5 players trending down

That's a recipe for disaster

ZebraDude
12-31-2013, 02:38 PM

I laughed out loud, literally...when I read this: "In New York, it’s all about winning...". Bwahahahahahahahaha. Yeah, and we've done so much winning in the last 80 years. Whatever we're doing, it ain't working too good.

ZebraDude
12-31-2013, 02:41 PM

Grabbing a playoff spot doesn't solve our problems. In fact, it exacerbates them.....it creates an illusion of success.

The Dude
12-31-2013, 05:08 PM
Gotta move Girardi, Callahan and Boyle. They gotta go.

Not liking the thought process of not much wrong with this team.

IMO they need 2 top 6 forwards. One of which needs to be serious 1st line talent, the other being a large bodied scorer, or a fast very skilled scorer.

On D they need size and someone who knows how to keep the puck in at the point on the PP.

Team could sure use a legit clubhouse captain as well.

ZebraDude
12-31-2013, 06:38 PM
I'm not a fan of his game, and want him traded, but Callahan's not a legit clubhouse captain? Says who?

EdMc28
12-31-2013, 11:50 PM
I'm not a fan of his game, and want him traded, but Callahan's not a legit clubhouse captain? Says who?

Wasn't there a report that after we fell behind 0-3 to Boston last year in the playoffs that Henrik stood up and pretty much conducted a closed door meeting telling everyone that the team has to be better and they should be embarrassed by the way they've played so far in the series? I remember that raised a couple of eyebrows here on the board.

Phil in Absentia
12-31-2013, 11:53 PM
I don't question Callahan's leadership on the ice, but I do question it, a bit, off it. He doesn't strike me as the commanding type very much, and if half the reports with how the whole Tortorella/Richards/Lundqvist thing went down are true, or even half true, those questions would just echo even louder.

fletch
01-01-2014, 05:40 AM

Me. Callahan is nothing special as captain. If someone else took over C, I don't think the team would miss a beat.

I don't question Callahan's leadership on the ice, but I do question it, a bit, off it. He doesn't strike me as the commanding type very much, and if half the reports with how the whole Tortorella/Richards/Lundqvist thing went down are true, or even half true, those questions would just echo even louder.

IMO, there are still chemistry/locker room issues. Team comes out flat with too little effort in too many games. You can point the finger at the whole team for that. But I point the finger at AV and Callahan more than anyone else when the team isn't ready to play.

ZebraDude
01-01-2014, 10:59 AM
Me. Callahan is nothing special as captain. If someone else took over C, I don't think the team would miss a beat.

IMO, there are still chemistry/locker room issues. Team comes out flat with too little effort in too many games. You can point the finger at the whole team for that. But I point the finger at AV and Callahan more than anyone else when the team isn't ready to play.

This is starting to sound like the Drury issue all over again. And the argument then was that unless you're in the club house, this has no basis in fact. No offense. This team's problems arent rooted in "locker room issues", imo. They are rooted in roster issues....talent, or lack thereof. If we had the talent level of the Penguins, Hawks or Ducks, etc and we were coming out flat, THEN you might have a case. But to pin this somehow on Callahan due to locker room issues....well, I think you're pissing up a rope on this one.

ZebraDude
01-01-2014, 11:03 AM
Wasn't there a report that after we fell behind 0-3 to Boston last year in the playoffs that Henrik stood up and pretty much conducted a closed door meeting telling everyone that the team has to be better and they should be embarrassed by the way they've played so far in the series? I remember that raised a couple of eyebrows here on the board.

Perhaps. He's known for blowing gaskets. But what does this prove? I think Graves exploded a few times in 1994 after some early season debacles. Does this prove that Messier was nothing special as a Captain? No. There are multiple voices in every locker room, and that's a GOOD thing.

Again, I'm not defending Callahan as a locker room leader. But there is no evidence to suggest there is a locker room "problem".

What occurred at the end of last season proves that the room is united. It might be misguided, it might be correct. But it shows unity. That doesn't happen if the room is fractured.

NYR2711
01-01-2014, 11:12 AM

I agree they arent the problem, but if we re-sign them they can be because they will limit us to who we can sign. No NHL player is terrible, or they wouldnt be in the league, this is something a lot of fans are ignorant to, not saying anyone here is or throwing anyone here under the bus. But, unfortunately, in the cap era now, we sometimes have to look past what a player has done for us, and what the cap hit will be on a new contract. I would love to keep both of them, but we just wont be able to sign any real help that this team needs if they are re-signed to the contracts they will get. Your looking at $6M+ on Cally and at least $5Mil on Girardi. With half the roster not signed for next year, and needing to bring in some more top 6 forwards, there just isnt a way to bring them back, and I would rather move both of them rather than lose them for nothing. Both Girardi and Cally will have the best returns on this team.

Phil in Absentia
01-01-2014, 11:31 AM
Perhaps. He's known for blowing gaskets. But what does this prove? I think Graves exploded a few times in 1994 after some early season debacles. Does this prove that Messier was nothing special as a Captain? No. There are multiple voices in every locker room, and that's a GOOD thing.

Again, I'm not defending Callahan as a locker room leader. But there is no evidence to suggest there is a locker room "problem".

What occurred at the end of last season proves that the room is united. It might be misguided, it might be correct. But it shows unity. That doesn't happen if the room is fractured.

Difference being, Drury had captained elsewhere. He was well respected league-wide in that respect. I agree that there is no concrete evidence to suggest he's not a great captain, but based on the rumored reports of how a lot of things have gone down with this team, and based on how poor there efforts are most nights, there is room to question things a bit.

I'll say this though, in Callahan's defense — the team does seem to play better with him in the line-up than without, speaking to the greater body of work. That's why I was saying I think he's probably a great captain on the ice. I just don't know how good he is off it.

Then again, you're talking to someone who thinks there's probably only around ten great NHL captains in the league anyway. Toews, Getzlaf, Crosby, Doan, Backes, St. Louis and maybe Chara. Iginla would have been in that group prior to the trade as well. So not even ten.

ZebraDude
01-01-2014, 12:15 PM
Difference being, Drury had captained elsewhere. He was well respected league-wide in that respect. I agree that there is no concrete evidence to suggest he's not a great captain, but based on the rumored reports of how a lot of things have gone down with this team, and based on how poor there efforts are most nights, there is room to question things a bit.

I'll say this though, in Callahan's defense — the team does seem to play better with him in the line-up than without, speaking to the greater body of work. That's why I was saying I think he's probably a great captain on the ice. I just don't know how good he is off it.

Then again, you're talking to someone who thinks there's probably only around ten great NHL captains in the league anyway. Toews, Getzlaf, Crosby, Doan, Backes, St. Louis and maybe Chara. Iginla would have been in that group prior to the trade as well. So not even ten.

Coming out flat and blaming Callahan and AV is one thing. Saying there are "locker room issues" is whole other ball of wax.

Phil in Absentia
01-01-2014, 12:18 PM
Coming out flat and blaming Callahan and AV is one thing. Saying there are "locker room issues" is whole other ball of wax.

Sure, I agree, though I think it's painfully obvious there are "locker room issues". I just don't know for certain who is to blame for it, or who is most at fault, or who is or isn't a great leader, etc.

Remember, I'm not saying Callahan is a bad captain. I think there's a reason they went to him, but he is a first-time captain (unlike Drury, by comparison), and a young one at that. So I do question how effective he is in the role off the ice where fans don't really see what happens.

It's why I've never really been a fan of giving the captaincy to young players. McDonagh might actually be the first guy to really buck that trend for me based on how incredibly mature he seems at such a young age.

ZebraDude
01-01-2014, 12:25 PM
I don't see evidence of locker room issues. Mediocre play from a mediocre roster isn't such evidence.

Phil in Absentia
01-01-2014, 12:26 PM
Well, they're going to need to name a new captain if they cash in on trading him anyway. :rofl:

ZebraDude
01-01-2014, 12:48 PM
Let's hope so!

Rangers
01-01-2014, 12:52 PM
Sure, I agree, though I think it's painfully obvious there are "locker room issues". I just don't know for certain who is to blame for it, or who is most at fault, or who is or isn't a great leader, etc.

Remember, I'm not saying Callahan is a bad captain. I think there's a reason they went to him, but he is a first-time captain (unlike Drury, by comparison), and a young one at that. So I do question how effective he is in the role off the ice where fans don't really see what happens.

It's why I've never really been a fan of giving the captaincy to young players. McDonagh might actually be the first guy to really buck that trend for me based on how incredibly mature he seems at such a young age.

:+1: McDonagh

fletch
01-01-2014, 01:06 PM
This is starting to sound like the Drury issue all over again. And the argument then was that unless you're in the club house, this has no basis in fact. No offense. This team's problems arent rooted in "locker room issues", imo. They are rooted in roster issues....talent, or lack thereof. If we had the talent level of the Penguins, Hawks or Ducks, etc and we were coming out flat, THEN you might have a case. But to pin this somehow on Callahan due to locker room issues....well, I think you're pissing up a rope on this one.

I don't see evidence of locker room issues. Mediocre play from a mediocre roster isn't such evidence.

Going back to last May... the John Tortorella firing. You could argue that was solely based on the team's performance on the ice. I would disagree, and say that there were locker room/chemistry/character issues dating back to last season. There hasn't been much turnover on the roster (core players). I assign at least some of the blame from last season on the players, and see similar issues in their play this year (lack of effort, not sticking up for each other, skating away from conflict, coming out flat).

This team is not playing up to it's potential. If you don't want to call it bad chemistry or locker room issues, fine. The same 'mediocre play from a medicocre roster' performed better in the regular season over the last five years.

And I didn't blame Callahan and AV (solely). What I said is that you should blame the whole team, but I put more blame on the captain and head coach. And I didn't say Callahan was a bad captain. I said that he could be replace without batting an eye. I see other players on the roster that could captain as well or better. And presumably if he got traded, the player(s) joining the roster could take on a leadership role.

The locker room currently lacks fire-and-brimstone leaders, and it shows on the ice. And with what the schedule looks like in January, this team is going to quickly sink out of playoff contention without more consistent play, more aggression, and more combativeness.

Flynn
01-01-2014, 01:28 PM
I had no idea this board had so many insiders who know what happens in the locker room.. Really sweet to have that insight ;)

The problem isn't leadership, it's talent.. Like they say, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit. Messier in his strongest captaincy moments isn't making this team score more or defend better. Putting the C on another sweater isn't going to change a damn thing about this team. Blaming leadership for the status of the team is like blaming your car when it runs out of gas

Phil in Absentia
01-01-2014, 01:35 PM
I had no idea this board had so many insiders who know what happens in the locker room.. Really sweet to have that insight ;)

The problem isn't leadership, it's talent.. Like they say, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit. Messier in his strongest captaincy moments isn't making this team score more or defend better. Putting the C on another sweater isn't going to change a damn thing about this team. Blaming leadership for the status of the team is like blaming your car when it runs out of gas

No doubt, the roster is the biggest problem, but that doesn't mean that the leadership group of the Rangers doesn't need work, or that they are blameless through all of this either.

Bugg
01-01-2014, 01:38 PM

If Nash was on course for 45 goals and Richards for 95 points, chemistry (or some other crap invented by lazy sportwriters after the fact) would not be an issue. Funny you never hear about last place teams having great chemistry.

ZebraDude
01-01-2014, 01:48 PM

Yep. I don't think this team's issues are related to the room. It's the roster....it's not yet built to suit AV.

dome
01-01-2014, 02:24 PM
Compete level has been an issue. It has been for some time.

Coming out flat has been a major issue. It has been for some time.

Not standing up for your teammate... etc etc etc

That's a locker room/mental problem not a talent problem

jsm7302
01-01-2014, 03:22 PM
Compete level has been an issue. It has been for some time.

Coming out flat has been a major issue. It has been for some time.

Not standing up for your teammate... etc etc etc

That's a locker room/mental problem not a talent problem

^^^ all of the above. Watch The Road to the Winter Classic. We lost all of the players featured that provided an identity. This team is a team of random parts that have not bought into any type of system nor identity. This team does not know success nor will they ever with this current roster. The team under Torts that reached the ECF was my favorite Ranger team in a LONG time. They played with heart/ desire and tenacity. And now here we are.......whom do you replace to regain that identity? Surely not Callahan. Girardi is our only tradeable piece on this team that would fetch any kind of return. My name on the old board was DG5FAN, so it pains me to see him go but for the undeniable betterment of this team....Make it happen. Go find another Pruster, Dubi and Gabs.

Sorry for my rant...just frusturated with this team and endless speculation on trades. Sather needs to make something happen because this team is heartless.

ZebraDude
01-01-2014, 03:28 PM
I don't want that old team back. I want something better. MUCH better. If you like that team's identity, then how can not like Callahan? He embodies that identity.

fletch
01-01-2014, 03:32 PM
I don't want that old team back. I want something better. MUCH better. If you like that team's identity, then how can not like Callahan? He embodies that identity.

He needs to stay healthy to be a factor. Hasn't had much to do with the Rangers' identity this year.

fletch
01-01-2014, 03:37 PM
In fact, Callahan injuries gave AV a chance to change leadership (captain, assistants) at least temporarily. Just saying.

The Dude
01-01-2014, 09:27 PM
Just to clear this up a bit. I said "club house captain" not to shit on Callahan. I like Callahan and think he's done the job as captain to the best of his ability and better than anyone else could have on any Ranger roster since he was named captain.

I do how ever think this team needs some more veteran WINNERS in there to pick up the slack and be more of a backbone. I keep thinking back to when Shanahan was brought in. How much ALL the players looked up to him and how he kinda taught them to be professionals. Think of guys LIKE Dubinsky, Avery, Callahan, Girardi and Staal, all learned the ropes from Shanahan. As Rangers they learned to say the right things to the media. How to act off ice.

I think they need that again. An older vet to rally around. A guy that knows how to win and how to take youngsters under their wing.

Who that player could be? I haven't a clue. Said player would have to still have game left in the tank.

fletch
01-02-2014, 05:26 AM
Just to clear this up a bit. I said "club house captain" not to shit on Callahan. I like Callahan and think he's done the job as captain to the best of his ability and better than anyone else could have on any Ranger roster since he was named captain.

I do how ever think this team needs some more veteran WINNERS in there to pick up the slack and be more of a backbone. I keep thinking back to when Shanahan was brought in. How much ALL the players looked up to him and how he kinda taught them to be professionals. Think of guys LIKE Dubinsky, Avery, Callahan, Girardi and Staal, all learned the ropes from Shanahan. As Rangers they learned to say the right things to the media. How to act off ice.

I think they need that again. An older vet to rally around. A guy that knows how to win and how to take youngsters under their wing.

Who that player could be? I haven't a clue. Said player would have to still have game left in the tank.

I think the issue is that the roster is built to win now (based on age, experience, Lundqvist, etc.) and we're not good enough to win big (Stanley Cup or close to Cup). So what do you do? Do you try and make the playoffs and hope to get lucky and make a deep run (like 2011-2 appears to me)? Do you try and win a Cup in the next 1-3 years (trades for vets and sign quality free agents)? Or do you try and win a cup in the next 3+ years (get younger, more skilled, stronger, tougher players, develop your own top 6 players)?

Your bolded veteran winners comment is more in line with what I think we should do if we're trying to win a cup in the next 1-3 years. Your bolded older vet comment is more in line with what I think we should do if we're trying to win a cup in the next 3+ years with a younger team.

The issue I have with management is that I disagree with their strategy, if the goal is to win a Stanley Cup. I think we'd have the best chance at ultimate success (Cup) by developing our own Top 6 players (through draft and acquiring young talent through trades). This requires patience and a willingness to selectively trade popular productive players that are about to hit the career decline (get old) for the right younger players (more skilled, stronger, younger). It might mean risking trading a player a year or two 'too early' and watching them continue to kill it. Or screwing up and picking the wrong younger players (bad scouting or bad luck).

Management (and being in NYC) dictates a shorter perspective - win quicker and with less patience. What this has translated to (since 1997) is finishing 6th-10th place in the conference (with a few notable abberation years) and hope for an occasional deep playoff run. If you want to be Pittsburgh or Chicago or Los Angeles or Boston or Detroit, you can't take the shortcuts NYR management takes in building a roster, IMO.

ZebraDude
01-02-2014, 06:52 AM

Brad Richards should be that veteran. He's been there and back.

Vodka Drunkenski
11-10-2016, 04:28 PM
Are they still interested?

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain

Karan
11-10-2016, 04:36 PM
What the fuck man? Got my hopes all up...until I saw you bumped a really old thread.

Vodka Drunkenski
11-10-2016, 04:42 PM
;)