PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Jarred Tomato Sauce Brand/Flavor

Parsley
05-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Just interested with so many options out there, what you guys put on your pasta.
Yes, I am Italian........no I don't make-a my own sauce :(

Anyway.......here are my 2 favorites

Ragu - Chuncky Garden Style
Bertolli - Vodka Sauce

http://www.ragu.com/images/static_assets/products/categories/chunky/gardencombo/jar.png

http://www.shespeaks.com/pages/img/review/bertolli_05242010225242.jpg

High and Wide
05-30-2011, 08:09 PM
Bertoli Vodka Sauce or bust. If its jarred, it sucks to me. My sauce is better than most jarred and thats not saying much.

Jules
05-30-2011, 08:21 PM
Bertolli is pretty decent indeed.

momentum
05-30-2011, 08:24 PM
Newman's Own Cabernet Marinara is actually pretty good.

NYRangers92
05-30-2011, 08:27 PM
Via Roma or Silver Palate

Pete
05-30-2011, 08:34 PM
If you didn't make it yourself, its ketchup.

Parsley
05-30-2011, 09:40 PM
I knew people would throw a fit over non-homemade sauce :)

Let us losers enjoy our jarred sause! I like several of the Newmans sauses too, especially the sausage/peppers.

Mike
05-30-2011, 09:43 PM

this

Bluephoria
05-31-2011, 01:14 AM
I hate pasta... this thread means nothing to me.

JOHN
05-31-2011, 01:17 AM

Wouldn't go ketchup, but it definitely isn't the same.

BTW, I wouldn't degrade ketchup and call it something like Ragu, that's just low. :bravery:

4_4
05-31-2011, 01:26 AM
classico 4 cheese can work, but you need to use it as a base.

otherwise i'd rather just eat something else. i can't make sauce for shit but my mom and grandmother wrote the book. my gf just can't understand why i never want to eat pasta at home.

Keirik
05-31-2011, 03:10 AM
http://www.victoriapacking.com/images/sauces/frarg.jpg

insert obligatory homeade gravy being better but this brand kicks ass for bottled sauce. I've even fooled some EYE-talians :D

Pete
05-31-2011, 08:24 AM
I hate pasta... this thread means nothing to me.

Yet you still felt the need to enter it, and comment in it. :confused:

Saucy Mitts
05-31-2011, 08:27 AM
Prego Traditional is my go to.

BTW, people who call it gravy can piss right off.

josh
05-31-2011, 09:17 AM
I hate when people brag about their "Sauce". Shut up. It tastes worse than the store brought crap and you spent all day on it. Besides, you're not even Italian. Most likely, you aren't even Italian-American.

G1000
05-31-2011, 09:45 AM
More likely, you're following an archaic recipe and are afraid to mess around with it.

I'll use Classico for when I don't feel like making sauce, but when I make, I scare folks.

momentum
05-31-2011, 10:03 AM
my wife is of irish decent and she makes better sauce than any italian american i know. some canned sauce sucks, some is quite good, i've had canned sauce that is easily as good as several "italian family recipies" made by italians for hours, this is the truth really. Bottom line is that the key to any good red sauce is the inclusion of red wine and not to skimp on spices, not really that hard, you can even take a canned sauce, throw it in a pan and pour some good red wine in it and spice it up a bit and it will taste as good as most super great sit for hours sauces around.

Phil in Absentia
05-31-2011, 10:13 AM
Dunno the name of it. The fiancÚ uses it whenever she makes shells or lasagna, etc.

Ba Ba Bluey
05-31-2011, 10:54 AM

This.

The end.

Bluephoria
05-31-2011, 11:49 AM
Yet you still felt the need to enter it, and comment in it. :confused:

Correct. And this bothers you why?

Pete
05-31-2011, 12:02 PM
Correct. And this bothers you why?

I've perused this thread extensively and have failed to find any evidence suggesting that I'm bothered in any way. Thank you, and good day, sir.

Parsley
05-31-2011, 12:22 PM
Quite a range of brands used by us "fake" sauce eaters :)

I've been mixing it more lately I used to be straight Ragu, but Newmans, Classico and Bertolli have come out with some intriguing flavor combos. All in all, there are very few sauces that I don't like. As for pasta, spaghetti has always been my favorite, but cavatappi is now running a close second.

Phil in Absentia
05-31-2011, 12:25 PM
Classico is what Kris uses.

Good stuff.

We get some kind of garlic one.

NYR2711
05-31-2011, 12:30 PM
My mom would beat my ass if I ever ate jar sauce, so I never buy jar sauce.

Phil in Absentia
05-31-2011, 12:37 PM
I have 0% Italian in me and proably 1% in my entire living, breathing family. I don't give a flying fuck about sauce being "jarred" or homemade. I just eat whatever tastes good.

I can say, though, like Josh, every time I've tasted home made sauce, it tasted bland and made me not want to eat. Same with home made pasta, etc.

Just leave us to our jarred sauces and mass-produced pasta that we buy in boxes or bags at a common grocery store.

Scotty Gomez
05-31-2011, 12:47 PM
http://www.buylafede.com/images/vincents.jpg

JOHN
05-31-2011, 01:04 PM
If I'm not making it, I use this.

https://www.paesana.com/store/secure/images/products/85.gif

And Josh, making your own is so much better. You can taste the freshness.

Parsley
05-31-2011, 01:05 PM
I have 0% Italian in me and proably 1% in my entire living, breathing family. I don't give a flying fuck about sauce being "jarred" or homemade. I just eat whatever tastes good.

I can say, though, like Josh, every time I've tasted home made sauce, it tasted bland and made me not want to eat. Same with home made pasta, etc.

Just leave us to our jarred sauces and mass-produced pasta that we buy in boxes or bags at a common grocery store.

:thankyou:

Nothing like a 1 lb. box of pasta and a jar of Ragu for $3 total! Can't beat it!

Pete
05-31-2011, 01:06 PM
I hate when people brag about their "Sauce". Shut up. It tastes worse than the store brought crap and you spent all day on it. Besides, you're not even Italian. Most likely, you aren't even Italian-American.

There you go, Josh said it right there. You're not eating sauce made by a ginny, that's why you can't taste the difference. I'll give you some of my sauce, then you tell me if you think the store-bought shit tastes better.

NYR2711
05-31-2011, 01:09 PM
There you go, Josh said it right there. You're not eating sauce made by a ginny, that's why you can't taste the difference. I'll give you some of my sauce, then you tell me if you think the store-bought shit tastes better.

I agree, the old school Italian way of making sauce is the best, and tastes way better than any store bought one. I dont go with making my own pasta, that I will buy from the store, but sauce tastes so much better when it is home made the right way.

Pete
05-31-2011, 01:11 PM
I agree, the old school Italian way of making sauce is the best, and tastes way better than any store bought one. I dont go with making my own pasta, that I will buy from the store, but sauce tastes so much better when it is home made the right way.

Yep. For a long time I wouldn't eat pasta in a restaurant because the sauce wasn't like my grandmother made. Sometimes I still won't, unless I've tried the sauce at the place already and know what it's like. People skimp on the best ingredients for the sauce because they don't understand how it cooks. You NEED salt and you NEED garlic. Also, the bay leaf is important.

Parsley
05-31-2011, 01:13 PM
Honestly, this thread was never about homemade VS. store bought sauce, just what jarred sauce people have had, and preferred. In terms of homemade sauces I've had a few, and they've been good......nothing that has blown my mind though. Bottom line, I'm too lazy and cheap to go that route myself. Pasta once or twice a week is supposed to be something I can cook up in 10-15 minutes after a long day and enjoy.

Pete
05-31-2011, 01:13 PM
Honestly, this thread was never about homemade VS. store bought sauce, just what jarred sauce people have had, and preferred. In terms of homemade sauces I've had a few, and they've been good......nothing that has blown my mind though. Bottom line, I'm too lazy and cheap to go that route myself. Pasta once or twice a week is supposed to be something I can cook up in 10-15 minutes after a long day and enjoy.Well that's why you make the sauce on Sunday. Then you freeze little containers of it. :)

NYR2711
05-31-2011, 01:14 PM
Yep. For a long time I wouldn't eat pasta in a restaurant because the sauce wasn't like my grandmother made. Sometimes I still won't, unless I've tried the sauce at the place already and know what it's like. People skimp on the best ingredients for the sauce because they don't understand how it cooks. You NEED salt and you NEED garlic. Also, the bay leaf is important.

Exactly, my mom used to make it from scratch, and she didnt have the recipe written down, she just knew how much of all the spices to use. Thats the one thing I really miss from her, is her sauce. I remember every Sunday as a kid my house would smell like sauce all day from her making it. Sauce should be thick, not soupy like the store brand. You have to use crushed tomatoes not all that water.

Parsley
05-31-2011, 01:19 PM
Well that's why you make the sauce on Sunday. Then you freeze little containers of it. :)

hmmm.............good point.

Saucy Mitts
05-31-2011, 02:14 PM
Know what's better than waiting 4 hours for sauce to cook? Eating jar brand right away.
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_li5r5002OI1qzzfm5.jpg

josh
05-31-2011, 02:41 PM

If her sauce was that good, it would be manufactured and sold in jars.

Phil in Absentia
05-31-2011, 02:43 PM

I'll take you up on it. I've had home made sauce before and hated it, but I'm down to try yours if you think it's better.

AmericanJesus
05-31-2011, 02:55 PM
Not technically "jarred" but this stuff:

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/07/87/42/36/0007874236951_215X215.jpg

Or if I'm feeling lazy and don't want to cook the pasta:

http://static-resources.goodguide.net/images/entities/large/292217.jpg

JOHN
05-31-2011, 03:41 PM

Agreed.

The best part about making your own sauce is you can control the sweet or tangyness, which I like personally. In the summer, I really enjoy a tangier sauce, but in the winter I love a sweet sauce, especially with a nice homemade farfalle.