• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Music You Were Raised On

My dad listens to Israeli music so that didnt jive with me. My brother pretty much only listened to Rush so I guess I grew up listening to 102.7 WNEW back in the day.

we all know you were raised on this song

IWEL1ZylUO0

Two different answers — what my parents played and what I grew up listening to.

What my parents played? Mom played a lot of Andrei Bocelli, house music and salsa. Dad played Aerosmith, Journey, Boston, etc.

I grew up listening to Alice in Chains, Metallica, Green Day, Pennywise, Pearl Jam, etc.

Well then, I grew up listening to New Kids on the Block, Kriss Kross, Nirvana, Sugar Ray, Less than Jake, Pink Floyd.

And honestly, those were probably the only tapes/CDs I bought for myself, in that order.

My mother is young so she listened to classic rock. I grew up on 102.7 WNEW when it was still the landmark station and 92.3 when both were still classic rock.

I've always been a fan now of 2nd generation classic rock (U2, Police, Kiss, Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, etc)

MY parents always played music from local (NYC) CBS FM 101.1. They had oldies, doo-op, disco sometimes and the like.

Some of it to this day I like and appreciate and see value in. I remember hearing a lot of Mo Town stuff too.

beatles, doors, pink floyd, zeppelin, red hot chili peppers, rammstein, nirvana, smashing pumpkins, smiths, joy division, clash, green day, all alternative rock and grunge that was played on the radio from the early 90's to the 00's pretty much.

then there was some embarrassing stuff like limp bizket but that stuff never lasted really.

'50's & '60's & '70's pop, rock, & country music, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Abba, Neil Diamond, polkas, German music, classical...there was always music playing in our house when I was growing up. Some of the best memories I have is of dancing in the living room and laughing all the time. :)

My Dad listened to CBS FM, some country and classic rock. My Mom listened to classic rock. I remember both my parents listening to Blonde, The Doors, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, The Rolling Stones, Elton John, Billy Joel, Rod Stewert, Johnny Cash, Aerosmith.

I grew up listening to Metallica, Guns And Roses, King Diamond, Megadeath, The Ramones, Rd Hot Chili Peppers. In high school Korn came out, and I loved them. I also listened to some of the stuff my parents listened to. My parents never really cared what I listened to, and never censored what we listened to.

My dad listened to mostly classical and jazz so what i grew up on was: Beethoven, Bach, Rachmaninoff, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak etc and also jazz like Hoagy Carmichael, Billie Holiday, Jack Teagarden, Louis Armstrong etc...but he also played 60's stuff sometimes like the Hollies and Beatles etc and crooners like Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin etc, mom liked Elvis so some of that too. Some swedish folk music too at times.

Archived