• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Looking to further my career.

thecurse0101

So i've been doing helpdesk at a few different companies since i was 22 (26 now) and i've basically just grown bored of what I do. With each new job i'm promised advancement opportunities and no matter how well I perform or extra work I put in it never seems to come to fruition. I've asked for training on certain aspects that we deal with but it always gets answered with a maybe or some other bs answer.

Well it turns out an admin here brought in a younger employee than me with similar experience and my company has dropped at least 3 grand on training and certifications for him in a matter of 3 months. Once I found this out I decided to take things into my own hands and have gathered the resources necessary to get certified as an MCSA in windows server 2012. I have been studying about an hour a night after work for the past week or so and I love it so far. I have brought it up to my manager who seems like he couldn't care less and has not even offered to have the company pay the 150$ for the exam test.

As you can imagine I'm a little pissed off about all of this and find it extremely disrespectful. So i'm going to get this certification and keep my mouth shut while I try and gain some experience on the admin side of things and then eventually move on.

Does anyone here have any tips on this sort of thing? Study habits, my work situation, test or training centers, study guides, recommendations?

So i've been doing helpdesk at a few different companies since i was 22 (26 now) and i've basically just grown bored of what I do. With each new job i'm promised advancement opportunities and no matter how well I perform or extra work I put in it never seems to come to fruition. I've asked for training on certain aspects that we deal with but it always gets answered with a maybe or some other bs answer.

Well it turns out an admin here brought in a younger employee than me with similar experience and my company has dropped at least 3 grand on training and certifications for him in a matter of 3 months. Once I found this out I decided to take things into my own hands and have gathered the resources necessary to get certified as an MCSA in windows server 2012. I have been studying about an hour a night after work for the past week or so and I love it so far. I have brought it up to my manager who seems like he couldn't care less and has not even offered to have the company pay the 150$ for the exam test.

As you can imagine I'm a little pissed off about all of this and find it extremely disrespectful. So i'm going to get this certification and keep my mouth shut while I try and gain some experience on the admin side of things and then eventually move on.

Does anyone here have any tips on this sort of thing? Study habits, my work situation, test or training centers, study guides, recommendations?

In our company, Help Desk and Hardware Support are typically entry level positions for those just out of college.

It seems that taking the direciton of...

Server Support

Firewall Security

System Analyst

Seem to be the next steps.

From there we have had many dive into the Network side of things, (last step)

Have they promoted anyone since you've been there?

Does your company offer tuition reimbursement?

As hard as it is, try not to focus on others at your job, it only causes frustration.

If anything, it sounds like you don't enjoy the environment, not only of your current employer, but the position(s) you've had.

What is it you want to do?

For training, look for a forum. I'm sure they will have one for people studying, testing, etc. They will give you tips on that specific test.

Make sure you don't burn yourself out, too. It will make you resent work [more] and hate to study/take the test, once again, leaving you at an unhappy crossroad.

Have they promoted anyone since you've been there?

Does your company offer tuition reimbursement?

As hard as it is, try not to focus on others at your job, it only causes frustration.

If anything, it sounds like you don't enjoy the environment, not only of your current employer, but the position(s) you've had.

What is it you want to do?

For training, look for a forum. I'm sure they will have one for people studying, testing, etc. They will give you tips on that specific test.

Make sure you don't burn yourself out, too. It will make you resent work [more] and hate to study/take the test, once again, leaving you at an unhappy crossroad.

Both excellent points

I have a hard time understanding a enviroment that doesn't encourage training/future education and compensates you for it

In our company, Help Desk and Hardware Support are typically entry level positions for those just out of college.

It seems that taking the direciton of...

Server Support

Firewall Security

System Analyst

Seem to be the next steps.

From there we have had many dive into the Network side of things, (last step)

My main goal has always been to be a systems administrator for a small to mid-sized company. I'd like to get this cert and find a job as a junior level admin somewhere working as part of an admin team. I'm not dumb in any sense of the word and I already work quite frequently with domain controllers, ad, and exchange environments.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

My main goal has always been to be a systems administrator for a small to mid-sized company. I'd like to get this cert and find a job as a junior level admin somewhere working as part of an admin team. I'm not dumb in any sense of the word and I already work quite frequently with domain controllers, ad, and exchange environments.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

How long have you been at this job?

Are you a call-center helpdesk, or do you get to move around, hands-on work?

it's 50/50 I take calls but also do hands on work. All in house though. I've also requested to become a road tech instead because I feel I would be great at that and be able to gain experience. I've helped on site after hours with server installs and things like that. but never as my sole responsibility.

What industry are you in?

I recommend looking for something outside the tech field.

Look at local schools, manufacturers, nursing facilities, etc. They usually offer more dynamic positions and youll get tons of experience in all aspects of the job. You'll do networking, programing, printer installations, basic set up, to who knows what.

Also, the IT depts. may be smaller, the chance for advancement might not be ideal, but you shouldn't be overly focused on that right now. You're 26. Right now your focus should be on your experience, build that base, so by the time you are 35 you have a ton of experience in all aspects of IT. That's when you should really focus on career advancement into high level positions.

Jumping from helpdesk to helpdesk doesn't always represent the best experience. Its a starting point. In a more general IT position, you will get that experience that companies will want. Also, you wont be entirely focused one aspect of the position (you can do this in the future) so companies will know that you are flexible and moldable.

Don't do it.

I've heard nothing good about this place! And he works late. And they promote co-workers.

What industry are you in?

I recommend looking for something outside the tech field.

Look at local schools, manufacturers, nursing facilities, etc. They usually offer more dynamic positions and youll get tons of experience in all aspects of the job. You'll do networking, programing, printer installations, basic set up, to who knows what.

Also, the IT depts. may be smaller, the chance for advancement might not be ideal, but you shouldn't be overly focused on that right now. You're 26. Right now your focus should be on your experience, build that base, so by the time you are 35 you have a ton of experience in all aspects of IT. That's when you should really focus on career advancement into high level positions.

Jumping from helpdesk to helpdesk doesn't always represent the best experience. Its a starting point. In a more general IT position, you will get that experience that companies will want. Also, you wont be entirely focused one aspect of the position (you can do this in the future) so companies will know that you are flexible and moldable.

the company I work for does full IT solutions for smaller companies. We manage about 40 or so companies. We have 6 or 7 full time field techs and 2 guys doing help desk (one being me). The other help desk guy has been doing it for over 3 years and is fine with it. I am not fine with doing help desk much longer and have requested opportunities from my manager but to no avail.

I don't know why I want a certification before I move on, I guess I would just feel embarrassed being 26 and walking into an interview with nothing on my resume but helpdesk experience.

the company I work for does full IT solutions for smaller companies. We manage about 40 or so companies. We have 6 or 7 full time field techs and 2 guys doing help desk (one being me). The other help desk guy has been doing it for over 3 years and is fine with it. I am not fine with doing help desk much longer and have requested opportunities from my manager but to no avail.

I don't know why I want a certification before I move on, I guess I would just feel embarrassed being 26 and walking into an interview with nothing on my resume but helpdesk experience .

Use this to your advantage. Employers want people that are investing in learning, their future, growing professionally, etc.

Same with your experience... let them know you want to do more. You like your job, what you do, etc, but want to learn more... you are really looking for a place where you can be for several years and to continue to grow and learn everyday.

You just need to know how to spin it to your advantage when talking about yourself.

I want to be able to do this... or that... and this, work on projects, take the lead, advance, learn etc... things you cant necessarily do at your current position. Helping is one thing, but making a difference, making changes, having input on operations and what will be done is an entirely new aspect of the job (I assume) you don't do, and could really build up your experience.

Use this to your advantage. Employers want people that are investing in learning, their future, growing professionally, etc.

Same with your experience... let them know you want to do more. You like your job, what you do, etc, but want to learn more... you are really looking for a place where you can be for several years and to continue to grow and learn everyday.

You just need to know how to spin it to your advantage when talking about yourself.

I want to be able to do this... or that... and this, work on projects, take the lead, advance, learn etc... things you cant necessarily do at your current position. Helping is one thing, but making a difference, making changes, having input on operations and what will be done is an entirely new aspect of the job (I assume) you don't do, and could really build up your experience.

This is all great advice Josh I really appreciate it. Unfortunately I'm not the best at talking myself up but I guess i'm going to have to learn. Maybe after I get acclimated to the server operating system a bit more I'll start kicking the tires of a new position.

I don't know why I want a certification before I move on, I guess I would just feel embarrassed being 26 and walking into an interview with nothing on my resume but helpdesk experience.

Before the help desk position, did you have any experience or education in your field?

Archived