• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

AMC's 'Mad Men'

Pete

My GF and I never did before this season, so we did a Netflix marathon in the off season and are now hooked. Season premier was good. Sucks going from being able to watch as much as you want to having to wait a week.

I keep reading summaries like "an advertising company with an owner or something" ( I guess that's all I got from it)" it seemed boring.

Have any good explanation or summary of what this show is about

In your own words

Watch it. You won't be disappointed. There is no summary that can do it justice.

Nah, I watched half of the first season, but I had too much TV going on.

If you get the time, it's worth it, especially if you have any interest at all in programming where the main protagonist struggles with inherent flaws between right/wrong. It's AMC's specialty, even down to The Walking Dead.

I guess I can check out the first few episodes and see how it goes

Watch through the first season into the first few episodes of the 2nd season. Trust me. I saw season 2 before season 1, and if I watched season 1 first, I might have quit. It gets better.

• 2 weeks later...
I keep reading summaries like "an advertising company with an owner or something" ( I guess that's all I got from it)" it seemed boring.

Have any good explanation or summary of what this show is about

In your own words

I am only 2 seasons in but...

Pretty much every review or synopsis that I have read for the show has done a poor job explaining what it is. The fact that they are ad execs is almost irrelevant. Its only important because its actually the perfect medium to help portray the underlying theme of the show which is essentially the plasticity of what people considered "the american dream" in the 60's. It centers around one deeply flawed man who has a shady past that he is trying to keep from being revealed because it might cause the world around him to come crashing down. But the truth is that the people around him are pretty much all just as, if not more, flawed. Working at an ad agency is just the perfect metaphor for what is going on in the lives of all the central characters and in the world pretty much.

If you like "historical" stuff this show does a great job looking back at the 60s in upper-middle class to upper class america.

I would get the scotch/whiskey and cigarettes ready though because all they do is drink and smoke in this show and makes you want to join in :rofl:

It is really one of the more well written shows out there.

• 1 month later...
Episode of the series.

What a great show.

Yeah, it was spectacular. Twisted you up in knots and then made you conflicted as to whether you should be. Brilliant piece of writing on that one, everyone stays in character, but at the same time, the entire dynamic changes.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
Did anyone catch the finale? I thought it was great. It really didn't try to hard to have some absurd ending. Don's breakdown comes to a head again, has feelings, comes up with a great idea, end scene. I'll be honest, I teared up during the conversation between Betty and Don.

Did anyone catch the finale? I thought it was great. It really didn't try to hard to have some absurd ending. Don's breakdown comes to a head again, has feelings, comes up with a great idea, end scene. I'll be honest, I teared up during the conversation between Betty and Don.

Yeah, went out on a high note, but not ridiculously high. Wrapped up what needed wrapping in a believable way. Had the same wit and cynicism as usual, but with just a touch more optimism added in. Just a touch though.

Yeah. After watching it a 2nd time I think I get it. Don a bit of closure and peace in his life at that retreat. He went bak to NY & McCann Erikson ad wrote the pitch for the 1971 Coca Cola ad. Good finale to a great show.

I like the finale. I just dont get why they paced it the way they did. It almost seemed like episodes 1-7 were a mini season, 8-12 were another mini season and then episodes 13 and 14 they decided they wanted to end it so they put stuff in motion to do so. They could have done a better job unraveling stuff throughout the season. I called Betty getting cancer like 2 seasons earlier when literally every scene she was in she was chain smoking.

This was probably my favorite show so its really bittersweet that it has ended. I'm going to miss living vicariously through these fucked up people haha.

Archived