• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Growing Thread

Pete

Holy shit Peetie. I saw the last post was in the Home Improvement thread and was going to go in there and ask "Does gardening count? Or should I start a new thread?". So weird. Yes. I'm growing a shitload of stuff.

For my fall crop, I realized today that I'm way behind and even missed the boat for things like brussel sprouts. I just purchased seeds for a winter-hardy Scallion variety, a very very quick Cauliflower variety in hopes I'll have time, a really interesting Italian Broccoli variety called De Cicco, Red Russian Kale, and Black Kale. Also just seeded Broccoli Raab, purple Kohlrabi, and two types of Italian chicory. That's pretty much going to be my whole fall crop.

I'll post some pics of my summer crop later. It's doing really well thanks to an unholy amount of compost. I have to get out there right now to seed a bunch of greens. Been procrastinating.

Those cukes trellised?

Well, yes and no. We were just trying to figure out what "took" since it's my first year here, and we used poles for everything. So this particular one was trellised, but there are some growing on the floor, too.

We have peppers, eggplant, cherry tomato, cukes, basil, rosemary and mint. I'll going to add arugula, too. All we got was tomatoes (from a potted plant) and cukes. Nothing else is growing. The plants are huge, but we haven't gotten fruit.

The garden also isn't as neat as it should be since my father in law did most of the planting haphazardly, for some reason...He gave me a poor explanation but I don't want to get into it LOL.

In my backyard here in The Netherlands we grow fruits. Raspberries, grapes, strawberries, and a ton of blackberries in various shapes and sizes. Last year we had 50lbs in fruit from our small yard (it's maybe 350 square feet at best) and we are easily going to reach that same number this year. My mom turns most of it into jam to eat for the rest of the year and to give away to friends.

Growing?

I'm pathetic.

Can't even keep flowers alive around my house in the summer.

About the only thing i'm 1/2 decent at is my lawn, (actually compulsive about it)

Ugh, I'm trying to fix mine with not a lot of success. Thinking it's going to take around 3 years to totally fix.

If a lawn looks patchy and it won't fix itself within a year or so, something it's best to just plow it and sow a new lawn. It'll look terrible early spring, but a patchy lawn is a tough cookie to fix.

Yea, I don't think plowing a new lawn is an option. Don't have the time or the money to take that on. I think it's just going to be a couple of years of weed killing, pulling, and re-seeding/mulching.

Well, yes and no. We were just trying to figure out what "took" since it's my first year here, and we used poles for everything. So this particular one was trellised, but there are some growing on the floor, too.

We have peppers, eggplant, cherry tomato, cukes, basil, rosemary and mint. I'll going to add arugula, too. All we got was tomatoes (from a potted plant) and cukes. Nothing else is growing. The plants are huge, but we haven't gotten fruit.

The garden also isn't as neat as it should be since my father in law did most of the planting haphazardly, for some reason...He gave me a poor explanation but I don't want to get into it LOL.

I had the opposite problem. I was OCD in planning my garden. I actually dug the whole thing, nearly broke my back pulling giant rocks and fence-posts out of the ground.. so I'd be damned if I wasn't going to fit a lot of stuff in there. So I was going to trellis my cucs but I jammed them in so tight that when they grew straight up they were going to block the sun from my tomatoes. Pulled 2 of them out of there and I'm just running them on the ground. They're tiny compared to yours.

Do your eggplants have flowers at least? Mine only started getting big like a month ago when it stopped raining. And they started fruiting like crazy only about a week ago. Then came the flea beetles. You should be alright. Like yours, my peppers are doing nothing. I dont know what the problem is. I've had 2 little shrimpy fruits, and I swear the plants look the same as they did 2 months ago.

Ugh, I'm trying to fix mine with not a lot of success. Thinking it's going to take around 3 years to totally fix.

It's a struggle.

But it's a fun one :)

I'm not sure at what age I put so much thought into what fertilizer to use, what new lawnmowers are out, etc, etc :)

I had the opposite problem. I was OCD in planning my garden. I actually dug the whole thing, nearly broke my back pulling giant rocks and fence-posts out of the ground.. so I'd be damned if I wasn't going to fit a lot of stuff in there. So I was going to trellis my cucs but I jammed them in so tight that when they grew straight up they were going to block the sun from my tomatoes. Pulled 2 of them out of there and I'm just running them on the ground. They're tiny compared to yours.

Do your eggplants have flowers at least? Mine only started getting big like a month ago when it stopped raining. And they started fruiting like crazy only about a week ago. Then came the flea beetles. You should be alright. Like yours, my peppers are doing nothing. I dont know what the problem is. I've had 2 little shrimpy fruits, and I swear the plants look the same as they did 2 months ago.

Yea, the eggplants have purple flowers like the Cukes yellow ones, but no fruit.

Yea, the eggplants have purple flowers like the Cukes yellow ones, but no fruit.

Expect fruits in the next week. You're good. Seriously though mine are covered in flea beetles that are annihilating the foliage on the plants. Just cross your fingers that you don't get these things. I've gone 100% organic up until now but idk...

It should get direct sunlight for about half the day, if not, more.

Turno over the soil you have. If it's rich and dark, it's pretty good. Dry and sand like, not so good. You can try to grow anything you want, some stuff might not take... just rotate your crops yearly.

Better dry and sandy than clay. Clay is a bitch and a half.

It's easy. The more compost the better. Soil sucks? Add compost. Soil is great? Add more compost. The more sun the better (for most things). Timing is the part that can be tricky in our area because its so hot in July and August then our frost is in early October. Other thing is don't overwater your plants. Better dry than wet. And don't water in the mid-day sun.

To reiterate.. compost + sun + some planning = success.

Other thing is if you're going to do a raised bed of any kind, cut the grass out so it's part of the ground. When you do a true box garden.. which is essentially a container, your whole soil situation changes drastically because of the lack of drainage and the lack of microbial and insect activity.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to rip my San Marzano plant out. Totally diseased. Spread to the others too. My tomatoes have been pretty lackluster.

Best things to grow I think would be 2 eggplants, 2 zucchini plants.. because they produce so much so that's all you need. Then a bunch of bush beans because you can jam them next to each other and can keep harvesting. And also carrots because you can grow them so close to each other and they're easy and beautiful.

Archived