PDA

View Full Version : How do I properly handle this situation (work issue)

Niko
05-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Because the secretary they hired is a loud obnoxious cunt who tells everyone in the company everyone else's business, I've recently discovered that a newly hired employee makes 10k more then me to start.

The woman (as is the general consensus around the office) is a schmuck. Now granted, I'm 24 and she's 56, and has 6 more years of experience then I do, but she's an asshole. She doesn't seem to be the ringer I was led to believe she is in the field.

I've long suspected my employers have been giving EVERYONE they hire after me a higher starting salary then I have now, something I've scratched and clawed for 4.5 years to obtain. While I do some work on the side for the company to make extra money, which helps tremendously btw as it can be an extra 1000 a month at times, I still feel kind of cheated. Like honestly, WTF?!?

Am I wrong for feeling this way? I feel like my employers feel like they can offer me less because I'm 24 and not 50. What difference does it make if these people have kids and I don't, we're doing the same job, I've been here longer, and I go the extra distance with out question (working longer hours, coming in off days, working remotely from home when sick instead of just calling out).

How do I press the issue? I don't want to kick the door of the CEO's office down and be like "yo fuck face, I know you're paying this haggerty old bitch more then me, along with a few other people, what gives?"

Ba Ba Bluey
05-13-2011, 04:53 PM
It blows donkey dick but thats the way things are...

Im in the same situation in a sense that just because Im 24 and work with a bunch of 40 / 50 somethings, Im always going to get paid less. The only way I see that changing is if I get promoted and the said "schmuck" now works under me.

I wish you luck though, it's fucking bs. Us young folk hustle and most of the time it doesnt matter...

Pete
05-13-2011, 04:57 PM
A degree + experience will automatically get you more.

Also, this like the 4-5th time you've posted about this place. I thought you had an interview and were leaving. Why didn't you?

Phil in Absentia
05-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Leave, Nik. It's the single best option you have for getting the money you want/deserve.

Niko
05-13-2011, 05:02 PM

Also, this like the 4-5th time you've posted about this place. I thought you had an interview and were leaving. Why didn't you?

I was leaving, but I went to bounce, they offered me more money. This place is clutch because the guys are decent, I have an opportunity to make more money doing closings (which I've taken advantage off when I can) and it's 10 minutes from my house. The place I was going to had no lot (on Avenue J, parking is BRUTAL) and no guarantee I could do closings, etc.

I basically want a higher base salary. I just don't know how to demand it.

Niko
05-13-2011, 05:02 PM

Also, I'm one of the only non attorneys who has a degree at this point lol.

Pete
05-13-2011, 05:04 PM
I was leaving, but I went to bounce, they offered me more money. This place is clutch because the guys are decent, I have an opportunity to make more money doing closings (which I've taken advantage off when I can) and it's 10 minutes from my house. The place I was going to had no lot (on Avenue J, parking is BRUTAL) and no guarantee I could do closings, etc.

I basically want a higher base salary. I just don't know how to demand it.

That ship has sailed since you didn't leave and took money to stay. Now they'll always tell you "You already got a raise".

Phil in Absentia
05-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Only way you'll get more is if you show them an offer in writing from another job that they can try to match or improve on so they don't lose you.

Keirik
05-13-2011, 05:34 PM
kinda of have to agree with Peetie on this one. Ship has sailed since you recently already got more money to stay. You can approach them but the problem is, they might just tell you to GTFO when push comes to shove and then what?

When you do some of that side work for them, are you ever in a more casual situation with one of your superiors that you can be frank with and bring up the topic without it seeming like a threat?

BlueJay
05-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Only way you'll get more is if you show them an offer in writing from another job that they can try to match or improve on so they don't lose you.

Works every time.

Pete
05-13-2011, 06:02 PM
Or they say "OK, good luck!"

Phil in Absentia
05-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Or they say "OK, good luck!"

In which case you have an offer anyway, so it's no skin off your back.

Pete
05-13-2011, 06:23 PM
In which case you have an offer anyway, so it's no skin off your back.

Well for me, true. I don't play games like that anyway. If I have to go out and get another job just to get a raise, I'm always going to have to get another job to get a raise, IMO. I'd rather just leave and get a fresh start.

However, Nik is a glutton for punishment.

Phil in Absentia
05-13-2011, 06:29 PM
I'm the same way. If/when I do get an offer, I'm gone. Unless my job came to me and offered me much, much more than what my new offer was, there's no way I'd even consider staying, let alone for the same amount.

Pete
05-13-2011, 06:34 PM
But I also feel like once you've made it all about money, and they know it, it sours them on you.

You can say anything else...no benefits, no room for growth, etc. Once you say you're leaving, and they offer you more than the new place, and you stay (in the same role), now you're all about money.

At least promote me or give me more responsibility or a title. Just don't give me cash to shut me up. (Not that Nik did that.)

Phil in Absentia
05-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Yup, agreed.

Saucy Mitts
05-13-2011, 08:11 PM
Look for a new job and in the mean time, passive aggressively do your current job with exceedingly less gusto.

Vodka Drunkenski
05-13-2011, 10:34 PM
But I also feel like once you've made it all about money, and they know it, it sours them on you.

You can say anything else...no benefits, no room for growth, etc. Once you say you're leaving, and they offer you more than the new place, and you stay (in the same role), now you're all about money.

At least promote me or give me more responsibility or a title. Just don't give me cash to shut me up. (Not that Nik did that.)

This is 100% on the money.

Patrick Bateman
05-13-2011, 10:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WchpzmtYIHg&feature=related