• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Keep a diary, in pen, pencil, whatever ... long after the bytes are lost...

Respecttheblue

Keep a diary, in pen, pencil, whatever ... long after the bytes are lost, you'll find it easy and amazing to look through, and not technology platform dependent. Guaranteed in 25 years you won't believe the amount of things you crammed into a week when you were 27.

And some useful info will turn up.

The handwriting and the ink, pencil, whatever, will reveal a lot more than dull Web fonts. Even a few words several times a week ... you might not remember what 5 % of the notations were about, but the other 95% will come back.

That's all

(Sure I keep a blog too, it's useful, but it's not the same ?*you may just find the old technology has a place)

Keep a diary, in pen, pencil, whatever ... long after the bytes are lost, you'll find it easy and amazing to look through, and not technology platform dependent. Guaranteed in 25 years you won't believe the amount of things you crammed into a week when you were 27.

The handwriting and the ink, pencil, whatever, will reveal a lot more than dull Web fonts. Even a few words several times a week ... you might not remember what 5 % of the notations were about, but the other 95% will come back.

That's all

(Sure I keep a blog too, it's useful, but it's not the same —*you may just find the old technology has a place)

Pretty inspiring post, Phil. I happen to agree. The way your wrote something down, your handwriting, your words, can certainly bring back memories of how you really felt when you wrote it.

It's a great idea, if you can be honest with yourself in your writing.

My gf keeps a journal of all the trips we've been on. At the end of an eventful day or at the end of the trip, we sit down and talk about the day/trip and our favorite stuff. We want to keep it so we can look back and see what we've done.

We actually looked back at it the other day, which was pretty fun.

2006: "Wish I made more money."

2007: "Why can't I make more money?"

2008: "Sure would be nice to have more money."

2009: "Need more money."

2010: "More money would be nice."

2011: "I wonder how much I could sell a kidney for?"

2012: "What other doubled-up organs can I sell?"

2013: "Wish I made more money."

2006: "Wish I made more money."

2007: "Why can't I make more money?"

2008: "Sure would be nice to have more money."

2009: "Need more money."

2010: "More money would be nice."

2011: "I wonder how much I could sell a kidney for?"

2012: "What other doubled-up organs can I sell?"

2013: "Wish I made more money."

2006: Hasn't applied elsewhere.

2007: Hasn't applied elsewhere.

2008: Hasn't applied elsewhere.

2009: Applied to one place.

2010: Hasn't applied elsewhere.

2011: Hasn't applied elsewhere.

2012: Hasn't applied elsewhere.

2013: Wish Pete got me that job...

2014: "Being a prostitute is awesome... But this burning sensation when I pee is not..."

:rofl:

2006: Hasn't applied elsewhere.

2007: Hasn't applied elsewhere.

2008: Hasn't applied elsewhere.

2009: Applied to one place.

2010: Hasn't applied elsewhere.

2011: Hasn't applied elsewhere.

2012: Hasn't applied elsewhere.

2013: Wish Pete got me that job...

:rofl:

That's all

(Sure I keep a blog too, it's useful, but it's not the same ?*you may just find the old technology has a place)

:clap:

Reminds me of the stash of cards (birthday's, thinking of you's, etc.) my wife and I both have since we started dating. We've both kept them all. Sometime we'll bust out some old ones and read them out loud. Pretty interesting some of stuff that was hand written to each other over the years.

My gf keeps a journal of all the trips we've been on. At the end of an eventful day or at the end of the trip, we sit down and talk about the day/trip and our favorite stuff. We want to keep it so we can look back and see what we've done.

We actually looked back at it the other day, which was pretty fun.

That's cute

You recommend writing something every day? Or when something interesting happens? Yes, I am saying that there are days where there is nothing interesting going on.

I used to do it whenever something affected me, good or bad. I dont think you can write everyday, because like you said, something doesnt happen everyday thats worth writing about.

Reminds me of the stash of cards (birthday's, thinking of you's, etc.) my wife and I both have since we started dating. We've both kept them all. Sometime we'll bust out some old ones and read them out loud. Pretty interesting some of stuff that was hand written to each other over the years.

My wife and I do this as well.

Pretty inspiring post, Phil. I happen to agree. The way your wrote something down, your handwriting, your words, can certainly bring back memories of how you really felt when you wrote it.

It's a great idea, if you can be honest with yourself in your writing.

Yeah, then honest wasn't a real issue, just used to make notations here and there. Could not believe some of the handwriting. Who was that person?

Ditto some college manuscripts the folks were about to throw in the trash.

It can be kinda interesting 25-30 years later. I mean I have no idea off the top of my head where I lived when, but some of this brings a lot of lost details back. Hard to hack, too. Well sorta.

And of course there is a massive gap of no recorded nothing except photos and a few videos after I got re-married and had kids, job, etc... [hmmm what does that mean?]

... until erm, where are all those lost computer word files damnit, damn technology changes.

You recommend writing something every day? Or when something interesting happens? Yes, I am saying that there are days where there is nothing interesting going on.

Whenever the mood grabs you, I guess. Just short notes ... met So and So at such an such a club / restaurant, ended up in Brooklyn, did I really see Sonic Youth or was it the Mekons? You'll remember a lot from a few small details, except maybe that one Mekons concert where things went Hunter S. Thompson a bit.

I wouldn't force it, but some folk find the discipline of doing it most days pays off.

I am lapsed, these days, aside from a watersports/cycling blog, and some miscellaneous notes here and there. No discipline on it. But the discovery of those old diaries was eye-opening.

Archived