• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

External Hard Drive Question

NYRangers92

My sister has an external hard drive for her Mac and I want to take some movies off of it and put onto my PC. My computer won't recognize the hard drive though and won't let me open it. The hd says it's Mac and windows compatible but nothing happens when plugged into my PC. Anyone know what to do?

There is a file system that only Macs can read. If it's formatted in that file system, do what Pete said and partition a portion of it to be FAT32.

If it's not the Mac file system (I think it's called 'MAC' but I'm not sure), then I'm not sure what the issue is.

Bottom line, check the file system and report back.

So I can't take everything off it and put it back on my sisters computer, then re-format it and put it all back on?

Yes, you can, and make sure she formats it OSX Journaled. It doesn't need to be FAT32 (Windows). An OSX Journaled formatted harddrive should read on any operating system without a problem, or at least that's how I always handled it in the past. I can't speak to how well it's read on Windows 8 or the more recent Windows operating systems. Haven't used one in years.

Damn, I'm off to a bad start today.

The only problem with FAT32 is that the format will not allow files over 4GB to be transferred on the Mac side, which eliminates most high-end movie files, which tend to start around 4.2 gigs.

Yeah, and NTFS which doesn't have that limit is natively read-only on Mac. However it's pretty easy to fix that (you just have to download a program on your Mac). All of my hard drives are formatted NTFS.

If he said that he was transferring HD movies, then I wouldn't have suggested FAT32, but I suppose I should assume that it's HD movies nowadays.

Alright so steps to do this so I'm clear...

-pull everything off the hard drive and put it back on the Mac

-uninstall the hd from the Mac

-reinstall the hd and format it under osx journal

-put what I want back on the HD and it should work on my pc

If you only copied the files instead of transfering the actual source file you can just format and journal the hard drive.

If they are still on her computer just smoke the hard drive.

Yeah they're still on her computer, I just copied them over

Then just erase the drive and re-format to what works best.

If your files are just 400 megs or so a piece, I'd wipe the drive and reformat OSX Journaled, then transfer one file and see if it responds as you like it to when you go to the PC. If so, transfer the rest of the files.

If the OSX Journaled still gives you problems and you don't think you're gonna end up transferring HD files (over 4 gigs), format it again to FAT32 and you will have no more issues.

Archived